blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Well it’s got two beer can holders, so it’s got that going for it...plus no leak.  Would that be a holy trinity?

After two cans of beer, I have to leak. I usually don't pray while I'm doing it, though.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:57 PM, stumblingthunder said:

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/longboat-key-very-nice-classic-sailboat/6871425688.html

I have a weakness for classic morgans, so the entry caught my eye.   There are far more pictures of models posing on the boat, than of the boat:

00C0C_ka4oULuuNZU_600x450.jpg

01616_8YDpcyVvvhu_1200x900.jpg

00505_6evdAmY7GrJ_1200x900.jpg

I'm not certain that the seller is boasting about the women that have been aboard or that they are trying distract from the details of the boat, ie no shots of below.

- Stumbling

Does the crew come with the boat?  Inquiring minds want to know.

2 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

They are both active and limber!

- Stumbling

I dunno - looks to me like it would buff right out.

Apparently it's for interior decorating. "Hall boat mold". But what's a Hall Boat?

4 hours ago, MiddayGun said:

https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/sailing-yachts-catamaran/596230

"This is a fantastic opportunity to purchase a catamaran project that has been largely constructed, with the opportunity to build more and so would be a great business investment."

596230_1.jpg?1550518954

831688.jpg?1550519408

What do you mean we ran out of mold release?  That's more than just an uh-oh...

- Stumbling

19 hours ago, woahboy said:

Apparently it's for interior decorating. "Hall boat mold". But what's a Hall Boat?

It's a boat intended for placement in your hall. Yo know, as opposed to a Den Boat Mold.

I don't all that much mold, though. It's a rip-off IMHO, there's just a lot of mildew and lichens. Probably some mushrooms down near the bottom

FB- Doug

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's a boat intended for placement in your hall. Yo know, as opposed to a Den Boat Mold.

I don't all that much mold, though. It's a rip-off IMHO, there's just a lot of mildew and lichens. Probably some mushrooms down near the bottom

FB- Doug

Or a dining room boat:

home-boat-in-ceiling-2.jpg

Makes you feel like a really upscale bottom dweller!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Or a dining room boat:

- Stumbling

Prop looks undersized to me.

1 minute ago, SecondWindNC said:

Prop looks undersized to me.

Its to keep the tall ones from getting their hair and skull parted.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

I could never get comfortable eating under a suspended hull. Someone had more money than brains there.

• Like 2

Look what a smartass in the ENC posted in CL boats today.  Steamflyer is that your ad?

Half eaten pizza - $25 (Oriental)

condition: like new 
length overall (LOA): 10 
propulsion type: human 

Good condition half eaten pizza for sale. I am only selling this because I am full, there is currently nothing wrong with it. I have recently had it serviced at blacks tires and it seems up to date. Call me at
but beware a slice might be missing when you get to it.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/oriental-half-eaten-pizza/6874358404.html

58 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Look what a smartass in the ENC posted in CL boats today.  Steamflyer is that your ad?

Half eaten pizza - $25 (Oriental)

condition: like new 
length overall (LOA): 10 
propulsion type: human 

Good condition half eaten pizza for sale. I am only selling this because I am full, there is currently nothing wrong with it. I have recently had it serviced at blacks tires and it seems up to date. Call me at
but beware a slice might be missing when you get to it.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/oriental-half-eaten-pizza/6874358404.html

Not me, plenty of other smart alecks in the area. Especially down in Oriental where there isn't that much to do

I have a refridgerator, leftover pizza gets saved for breakfast!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Or a dining room boat:

- Stumbling

Whut -- the zeppelin wouldn't fit?

There's an excess of things in that house, but 'good taste' is not among them. That upholstery! With paired hobnails and some sort of polished t-shaped chrome inserts. Do guests sit on the settles & yell to each other? We've got a baroque harpsichord, a colonial dining table with splat-less chairs (ow!) and some kind of patio furniture seat covers. There's two giant Chinese vases, some  rustic Swedish footstools with burnt marshmallow cushions, painted log rounds; white horizontal shiplap and hewn exposed timbers; two area rugs NOT on speaking terms, tho both hideous; dainty provincial painted ballusters sharing space with a fireplace surround laid up with retaining wall block; an orange velveteen sectional and reclining chair and, apparently, some kind of blue window treatment?!?

Oh -- and a fucking SAILBOAT levitating over the table.

Is this some kind of museum of bad interior design? A reason never to hire an architect whose LinkedIn profile lists 'peyote' among his interests? 

Good critique, and the room is a horror show, but there's nothing wrong with those chairs (or at least nothing a change of upholstery wouldn't fix) - a standard balloon backed design

47181.jpg

Oh, and while I'm being pompous, I reckon it may be a square piano, not a harpsichord:

Steinway-Style-1-Square-Grand-41991.jpg

What's with all the blue out the window?

49 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Good critique, and the room is a horror show, but there's nothing wrong with those chairs (or at least nothing a change of upholstery wouldn't fix) - a standard balloon backed design

47181.jpg

Oh, and while I'm being pompous, I reckon it may be a square piano, not a harpsichord:

Steinway-Style-1-Square-Grand-41991.jpg

What's with all the blue out the window?

Good call on the piano; those chairs look hideously uncomfortable.  "Let's do some carved horizontal links right across the lumbar area -- and skip any support at mid-spine, to accentuate the pain."  

On further review, I believe the saddest articles in that entire grotesque room are the  lace sheers on the French door. It's the final non-sequitur. Tasteless in themselves, they still manage to be the virginal teen in her starched pinafore, clutching the wall at a ketamine-fueled basement rave. The only curtains in the whole room are in front of a doorway. This has to be some kind of Situationist critique, not an actual house real people live in.

• Like 1

This house I believe is beside the Genoa Bay Marina.  It has been a while since I have been there, but I recall the hull being quite visible from outside.  Presumably the lack of curtains is to showcase the hull. 

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

There's an excess of things in that house, but 'good taste' is not among them. That upholstery! With paired hobnails and some sort of polished t-shaped chrome inserts. Do guests sit on the settles & yell to each other? We've got a baroque harpsichord, a colonial dining table with splat-less chairs (ow!) and some kind of patio furniture seat covers. There's two giant Chinese vases, some  rustic Swedish footstools with burnt marshmallow cushions, painted log rounds; white horizontal shiplap and hewn exposed timbers; two area rugs NOT on speaking terms, tho both hideous; dainty provincial painted ballusters sharing space with a fireplace surround laid up with retaining wall block; an orange velveteen sectional and reclining chair and, apparently, some kind of blue window treatment?!?

Is this some kind of museum of bad interior design? A reason never to hire an architect whose LinkedIn profile lists 'peyote' among his interests? 

I guess you never heard the word Eclectic. ;)

7 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

If its baroque, why fix it?

I think the point is aimless and over the top is a quality all its own.

It does remind me of being a furniture dealer's showroom.

- Stumbling

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I guess you never heard the word Eclectic. ;)

David Bowie was eclectic. That room looks like someone threw up on the all-you-can-eat salad wagon. (Probably the romaine lettuce, that shit'll kill you.)

• Like 1

I was thinking it’s the sort of thing you’d build if you weren’t quite sure you could make all your mortgage payments.  No way in hell a bank would foreclose on that.  Because then... they’d be stuck with it.

• Like 3

David Bowie was eclectic. That room looks like someone threw up on the all-you-can-eat salad wagon. (Probably the romaine lettuce, that shit'll kill you.)

There's a shit-ton of weed up here.

• Like 1

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/newport-news-sailboat-with-awesome/6875733022.html

Sailboat with awesome potential - $5000 (Leeward Marina, Newport News)

00J0J_fOYtb4EWcbT_1200x900.jpg

And the interior:

00000_gR4CseC6xhT_1200x900.jpg

An attempt with words to polish a sphere of feces into greater value.

As was said before, clean up before taking marketing pictures.  

Also, unless someone else knows better about this boat, she looks like she was infused with "Meh..."

- Stumbling

I'll have to add to my list of boat names: Sphere of Feces, or another variation: Sphere of Pheces

• Like 1

There's something about a Tanzer that makes it instantly recognizable. It has an aura. Tanzer 28, in this case. Sometimes I wonder what Johann smoked to come up with these beauties.

11 hours ago, toddster said:

I was thinking it’s the sort of thing you’d build if you weren’t quite sure you could make all your mortgage payments.  No way in hell a bank would foreclose on that.  Because then... they’d be stuck with it.

"Most of the things in this room are a legacy from my great aunt, who was kind of a hoarder and loved to visit estate auctions. Also, she was blind."

28 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

There's something about a Tanzer that makes it instantly recognizable. It has an aura. Tanzer 28, in this case. Sometimes I wonder what Johann smoked to come up with these beauties.

I read he was very tall -- 6'5" or so -- and designed boats he could almost stand up in. That leads to very odd-looking small sailboats.

He built pretty good boats - as demonstrated by the fact of so many still sailing - but he should have hired help for the design aspect.

When he did - Carter, J/N, Hunt etc. - he built some nice stuff.

A good carpenter should always hire an architect and not try to design houses himself.

Locally Brandlmayr did the same thing with Spencers. He had a better eye than Tanzer but still came up kinda short in the row away factor with most of his boats.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He built pretty good boats - as demonstrated by the fact of so many still sailing - but he should have hired help for the design aspect.

When he did - Carter, J/N, Hunt etc. - he built some nice stuff.

A good carpenter should always hire an architect and not try to design houses himself.

Locally Brandlmayr did the same thing with Spencers. He had a better eye than Tanzer but still came up kinda short in the row away factor with most of his boats.

Except for kitchens. I've never yet seen a decent kitchen design on a set of blueprints. When called in for a new construction client, they unroll the blues (which they paid $10k for), we look at the plan, and we roll them back up again. "Let me take these for room dimensions & start with a clean sheet of paper, hmm? I'll bring you three different layouts, each of them better than this." The sad, underpaid stiffs at Lowe's or Home Depot do a better job laying out kitchens than most M.Archs.

My theory is most architects don't actually cook. They eat Tandoori takeaway. So you get monstrosities like this:

modern-kitchen-design-photo2018-09-12-at

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Kill it with fire.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Except for kitchens. I've never yet seen a decent kitchen design on a set of blueprints. When called in for a new construction client, they unroll the blues (which they paid $10k for), we look at the plan, and we roll them back up again. "Let me take these for room dimensions & start with a clean sheet of paper, hmm? I'll bring you three different layouts, each of them better than this." The sad, underpaid stiffs at Lowe's or Home Depot do a better job laying out kitchens than most M.Archs.

My theory is most architects don't actually cook. They eat Tandoori takeaway. So you get monstrosities like this:

modern-kitchen-design-photo2018-09-12-at

Even my untrained eye can spot a number of problems there...  Why the tiny sink in the corner?  Cabinet access looks clunky. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Windward said:

Even my untrained eye can spot a number of problems there...  Why the tiny sink in the corner?  Cabinet access looks clunky. 

Yes, the workflow is totally screwed. There's no room either side of the stove to stage but there's acres of counter way the hell over there.

• Like 1

Well, it’s because it was easy to build that way, since the brick wall can’t be a wet-wall.  The whole thing is obviously just to minimally meet code because nobody cooks any more anyway.  Well... I’m not sure it even meets code, since I don’t see any outlets, but they might be cleverly concealed.  

When I was shopping plans, in the 90’s, they all had all the trendy shit.  Separate “breakfast nook” and “formal dining room” and “butlers pantry” which left about twelve square feet for the kitchen.  Who cares? They’re just going to grab breakfast at a drive-through and eat out every night anyway,  Maybe re-heat some take-out once in a while.  

After I did my house, when I needed cash I wired and plumbed some friends houses and did some scab electrical work for a contractor.  It’s a heck of a lot easier (and faster) to just slam in outlets at the specified distances than it is to stand there and ponder the optimal use of the room.

Well... to be fair, it’s possible that we’re only seeing half the room.  The real sink and wash-up area could be on the opposite side that we can’t see. (Like mine is) and that little one might just be for pot-filling and prep. That area under the window could be decent prep space.  Although it would be better if the fridge or the stove was to the left of the window and prep space in between.  Argh.  Isn’t this about boats?  

• Like 1

That whole corner is wack, from the drawers and doors, and sink being out of reach.  so close to the stove.  Terrible.

• Like 1

But it looks flash.

The triumph of form over function is commonplace among high end architects.

FLW houses are notorious leakers - just for example.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

But it looks flash.

The triumph of form over function is commonplace among high end architects.

FLW houses are notorious leakers - just for example.

And his kitchens are ridiculous. I think his houses are for people who eat in restaurants.

"Boxy but good".... he should have been an automotive engineer

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, luminary said:

FLW - Fishing League Worldwide? 

Frank Lloyd Wright.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

And his kitchens are ridiculous. I think his houses are for people who eat in restaurants.

I never liked his interiors - gloomy spaces - but he was a genius.

Look at this place - over 100 years ago when Victorian monstrosities were the norm.

FWIW, our most prominent architect - Erickson - was a disciple of FLW and HIS buildings were notorious leakers as well. :D

image.png.6893151470f22599eb9b67f5d8c66711.png

Really hope /\ that place never sees a lake effect snowstorm...

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Look at this place - over 100 years ago when Victorian monstrosities were the norm.

FWIW, our most prominent architect - Erickson - was a disciple of FLW and HIS buildings were notorious leakers as well. :D

image.png.6893151470f22599eb9b67f5d8c66711.png

I dunno, to me the word "genius" connotes a success beyond reasonable expectation, given the inputs.

He designed houses that leak and are uncomfortable to live in. To me, that's not success. Making a lot of money and being hailed by people who value aesthetics over function is "genius" in the sense that he didn't have to quit and find another line of work.

-DSK

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, slap said:

Frank Lloyd Wright.

Ah right. 

I guess FLW links are slipping. Google's algorithms are ranking fishing competitions over architecture, and as I saw no reference to FLW in the first page of results, I stopped looking.

Whats wrong with that picture? sigh.

I've never been in a FLW building. I've seen plenty of pics though. Talihasen was on the wall in fathers studio. Only Erricson building I've been in is the Anthropology Museum at UBC. Liked it. Didnt have a kitchen though. 

30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I dunno, to me the word "genius" connotes a success beyond reasonable expectation, given the inputs.

That's the definition of highly successful.

Genius is different - it changes things in some fundamental way. Like the way FLW changed residential architecture.

gen·ius
/ˈjēnyəs/
noun
noun: genius; plural noun: geniuses
  1. 1.
    exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
    "she was a teacher of genius"
    synonyms: brilliance, great intelligence, great intellect, great ability, cleverness, brains, erudition, wisdom, sagacity, fine mind, wit, artistry, flair, creative power, precocity, precociousness

2. 2.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

That's the definition of highly successful.

Genius is different - it changes things in some fundamental way. Like the way FLW changed residential architecture.

gen·ius
/ˈjēnyəs/
noun
noun: genius; plural noun: geniuses
  1. 1.
    exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
    "she was a teacher of genius"
    synonyms: brilliance, great intelligence, great intellect, great ability, cleverness, brains, erudition, wisdom, sagacity, fine mind, wit, artistry, flair, creative power, precocity, precociousness

2. 2.

So in short this describes to a T the Anti-Trump. Just sayin'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I'm generally onside the "Arts&Crafts with extra Japanese influence" thing, and I feel changing planes & material in kitchen layouts can benefit both visuals and function. Sometimes a section of butcher block two inches lower than the quartz tops is a really great thing to have. But FLW's kitchens change planes obsessively, so they  feel both restless and useless. And they have to fit in really bizarre spaces, dictated how FLW wanted the house to look from outside. That's in some ways a betrayal of Arts&Crafts thinking, more the way Georgians designed and built: "We need perfectly spaced windows and colonnades -- partition the living areas behind them any old way that fits." Pugin and Morris wrecked that: "Homes are for humans to live and work in, let the outside shape follow along organically."

This isn't the worst of FLW's kitchens by any stretch -- but it does give a sense of both The Hearth's secondary status to FLW and his compulsive busyness:

gan-wright-tonkens-house-020813-1-16_9.j

Way too much going on in a space that small! (And I'm a fan of small kitchens. Ours is 8'x9'.)

55 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

I'm generally onside the "Arts&Crafts with extra Japanese influence" thing, and I feel changing planes & material in kitchen layouts can benefit both visuals and function. Sometimes a section of butcher block two inches lower than the quartz tops is a really great thing to have. But FLW's kitchens change planes obsessively, so they  feel both restless and useless. And they have to fit in really bizarre spaces, dictated how FLW wanted the house to look from outside. That's in some ways a betrayal of Arts&Crafts thinking, more the way Georgians designed and built: "We need perfectly spaced windows and colonnades -- partition the living areas behind them any old way that fits." Pugin and Morris wrecked that: "Homes are for humans to live and work in, let the outside shape follow along organically."

This isn't the worst of FLW's kitchens by any stretch -- but it does give a sense of both The Hearth's secondary status to FLW and his compulsive busyness:

Way too much going on in a space that small! (And I'm a fan of small kitchens. Ours is 8'x9'.)

Wow, that galley has a lot of storage!   Hows the rest of the boat?

- Stumbling

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

I like this kitchen.  It looks functional, especially compared to that white one above.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I like this kitchen.  It looks functional, especially compared to that white one above.

Other than the lowered counter around the cook top (I'm tall), it looks good. But I think I would get a sore back from bending over that cook top, and sore shoulders from banging into the range hood above it.

For it's size, quite functional.

FLW designed the house to look cool, at the expense of comfort and durability - the cantilever roof he liked is a bitch in the long term, but looks great!  The only one I've been in was Meyer-May house in Grand Rapids, MI.  Nice to look at, amazing detail, I'd go nuts sitting at the dining table, and the whole place has a vibe that having normal humans in it would be an inconvenience.  Falling Water is an amazing house, but would you really want a stream running through your house?  24/7/365???

2 hours ago, sculpin said:

Falling Water is an amazing house, but would you really want a stream running through your house?  24/7/365???

Yep.

And it doesn't actually run through the house - sort of under and alongside. The house leans over the water.

Pretty much the coolest house ever built IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Yep.

And it doesn't actually run through the house - sort of under and alongside. The house leans over the water.

Pretty much the coolest house ever built IMO.

It'd be a lot cooler if the kitchen wasn't a PITA and the roof didn't leak

:rolleyes:

FB- Doug

On 4/27/2019 at 9:29 AM, SloopJonB said:

.............A good carpenter should always hire an architect and not try to design houses himself..........

Another goddamn amateur, fucking up the neighborhood ;)

PiUhbUr.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It'd be a lot cooler if the kitchen wasn't a PITA and the roof didn't leak

:rolleyes:

FB- Doug

Or if it just had air conditioning.

• Like 1

Doesn't need it.

Cooled floors.

image.png.d7cb1f257d2f6245544cdd82c2a0cb46.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

Other than the lowered counter around the cook top (I'm tall), it looks good. But I think I would get a sore back from bending over that cook top, and sore shoulders from banging into the range hood above it.

It's not horrible. But if you decide on a compact floor plan kitchen, how about specifying compact appliances? A 36" cooktop and 42" SubZero fridge are wholly inappropriate to the space. And the lowered cooktop means at least two, probably four of the drawer fronts beneath are dummys, and the two blind corners are completely lost -- when they might have held kidney susans or shuttling trays. For a space that size, combining the  cooking functions into a single 24" or 30" range makes more sense. 30-33" fridge is fine. You aren't prepping holiday dinner for 15 in that kitchen, anyhow.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:48 PM, zenmasterfred said:

Yes, speaking of buff right out I would like to see how this crew buffs out...

It's not horrible. But if you decide on a compact floor plan kitchen, how about specifying compact appliances? A 36" cooktop and 42" SubZero fridge are wholly inappropriate to the space. And the lowered cooktop means at least two, probably four of the drawer fronts beneath are dummys, and the two blind corners are completely lost -- when they might have held kidney susans or shuttling trays. For a space that size, combining the  cooking functions into a single 24" or 30" range makes more sense. 30-33" fridge is fine. You aren't prepping holiday dinner for 15 in that kitchen, anyhow.

I wasn’t gonna contribute to keeping this going, but what struck me about that pic was how much it resembles the kitchen in my great-aunt’s house.  An old millworker’s house that they eventually bought from the mill (although 2/3 of the millworker housing in that town was originally houseboats (Yeah! A Boat Reference!)).  The thing is, she DID cook holiday dinners for 15 in there a few times. But it wasn’t easy.  The floor also sloped down a few degrees to the outside wall, because it was all built on pilings.  Actually, quite a lot like a boat’s galley.    

8 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

FLW was a short man himself I believe and his houses reflected that. Architects can be slightly (ahem) egocentric. And I imagine that people who could afford his houses didn’t do their own cooking. 

But if that really is his kitchen and not a later addition I’m really impressed. 

We are just starting a cottage kitchen install, so I googled FLW Kitchens, they are really quite modern and timeless, some are quite large, impressed.

not much use for us though, I tend to agree with Diarmuid about designing kitchens from a functional starting point.

we are using white, not stainless appliances  which is quite limiting, especially for things like range hoods stoves and fridges.

trying to make a kitchen and pantry which have a low visual profile, so they blend into the room rather than stand out, not that easy.

5 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Sorry to interrupt your architecture/kitchen discussion, but https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/chilliwack-26-macgregor-sailboat/6877842404.html

$60k for a Mac26, "way under value" apparently.

Maybe the price is some kind of typo?

This isn't:

Contained head (rarest option)

00f0f_2eZh7Jy4UC_1200x900.jpg

2 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

At least the bird splat is nicely centered.

00Q0Q_b9CKo4WyXOk_1200x900.jpg

And gin sails to boot.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It's a new Tattoo M26, with all the rarest options. Still about $50k too much.

Ah, but it has a "self ferler", perhaps the rarest option of them all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Ah, but it has a "self ferler", perhaps the rarest option of them all.

I'm not certain if that is a Southern or Scottish option?

- Stumbling

The Walter Gropius House in Lincoln, Massachusetts. Very modest (He didn't have any money when he go to the US). Very livable. 

IMG_2937.thumb.JPG.acfaa84a6cc2661d55f8cdb3eb2d2c9b.JPGIMG_2933.thumb.JPG.0a0933fb6cd15cc5a5f2bd9c5c720eee.JPG

2 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

The Walter Gropius House in Lincoln, Massachusetts. Very modest (He didn't have any money when he go to the US). Very livable. 

IMG_2937.thumb.JPG.acfaa84a6cc2661d55f8cdb3eb2d2c9b.JPGIMG_2933.thumb.JPG.0a0933fb6cd15cc5a5f2bd9c5c720eee.JPG

Umm, you realize this -is- the mocking thread, right? Sometime people get them confused......

That place looks like a movie set mental health clinic where a doctor carries out horrifying experiments...............

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Umm, you realize this -is- the mocking thread, right? Sometime people get them confused......

That place looks like a movie set mental health clinic where a doctor carries out horrifying experiments......

You can see Dr. MaBuse there in blue, having just snatched that old man's liver out.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, SloopJonB said:

Ouch, we own a victorian monstrosity...

FLW works are a matter of taste. Pure in a form few McMansions can duplicate. Our current local trend comes from '60's design books that were hip when I took arch drafting in HS.

15 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Greene and Greene for me. :) They were limited in time and space (Pasadena bungalows, 1906-11), and their interiors run a bit dark due to the extensive cherry & mahogany woodwork, but G&G are truest to the Arts & Crafts ethos & have left the greater legacy. Gamble House:

greene_greene_631.jpg

Bolton House kitchen (after restoration):

bolton_craftsman-kitchen_john_muir-e1418

Timeless, modern. And their roofs drained water, which is a nice feature!;)

• Like 4

I've found a double header here:  Both mock worthy and a zombie candidate:

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/d/loudon-merit-25-sailboat/6876920441.html

$500 for a lichen farm in Knoxville, Tn.  With a case of fiberglass pox. 

Lichen on the deck,

lichen on the line,

lichen on the bow,

lichen on the wood,

and even lichen on the trailer!  

Anyone for liking the lichen?

00g0g_4Bb5lP66jv8_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_lcVI3VqpBp1_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_fbKvmdBrThw_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_krbfvTUFNy5_1200x900.jpg

- Stumbling

^^ I would love to see the interior.

10 minutes ago, Bull City said:

^^ I would love to see the interior.

I think that would be too frightful for the intent of a Craigslist ad.

Maybe good for the location of horror movie momentary startle.

- Stumbling

40 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Ouch, we own a victorian monstrosity...

FLW works are a matter of taste. Pure in a form few McMansions can duplicate. Our current local trend comes from '60's design books that were hip when I took arch drafting in HS.

Sorry about that Horse.

FWIW one of my all time favourite houses was an old turreted Victorian in Kits that had been a hippy house - "Peace House" on Point Grey road that was re-done by Ericson.

He was a great one too but not the genius that FLW was - he didn't transform residential architecture. He took FLW's essence and modernized it, lightened it and made it even more a part of the site it was on.

Kept the leaks though.

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&q=Arthur+Erickson+house&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwjVhvfV4frhAhVIj54KHRUBAcsQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1920&bih=919

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I've found a double header here:  Both mock worthy and a zombie candidate:

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/d/loudon-merit-25-sailboat/6876920441.html

$500 for a lichen farm in Knoxville, Tn.  With a case of fiberglass pox. 

Lichen on the deck,

lichen on the line,

lichen on the bow,

lichen on the wood,

and even lichen on the trailer!  

Anyone for liking the lichen?

00g0g_4Bb5lP66jv8_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_lcVI3VqpBp1_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_fbKvmdBrThw_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_krbfvTUFNy5_1200x900.jpg

- Stumbling

The plague doctor will see you now.

220px-Paul_F%C3%BCrst,_Der_Doctor_Schnab

This isn't a mock as the family is trying to do the right thing: https://ca.gofundme.com/f/f2uh6-help-wilson-lobao039s-family-save-his-legacy But this 45 foot trimaran was started in 1984 and is definitely 85% complete although it needs $50-%75K more investment not including owner-labor. What is impressive and daunting here is they have a discounted estimate of $15K to move the boat ($5K crane and $10K for the truck/drive) only a few miles to wherever the new owner is going to work on it and they are giving him the boat for free. So don't forget to factor that in the next time you build a 45 foot trimaran in your back yard. 

Credit to the Multihull Appreciation Society Facebook group for highlighting this one. 

Lobao Trimaran.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

The plague doctor will see you now.

220px-Paul_F%C3%BCrst,_Der_Doctor_Schnab

Bring out your dead, bring out your dead...

"I'm not dead yet!!!"  Conk! "Its dead now!!!"

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

Bring out your dead, bring out your dead...

"I'm not dead yet!!!"  Conk! "Its dead now!!!"

- Stumbling

"This boat is a ... de-Merit!"

• Like 2