blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

26 minutes ago, bugger said:

The ad says:  Would the owner come get it

There has to be more to this story.  Who has a boat on their property without knowing the owner of said boat?  

The original ad might actually be somewhere earlier n this thread. It's a pretty decent sized project.  Don't think it's very far from home, maybe I can drop by and tell the guy I'm the owner and pick it up.......

• Like 2

great boat! ready to sail the Cadillac of sail boats.”

I think Catalina’s are fine boats (my parents had one), but that might be overselling it just a bit... 

Also it needs to be named Warhawk.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, bugger said:
On 6/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, hard aground said:

The ad says:  Would the owner come get it

There has to be more to this story.  Who has a boat on their property without knowing the owner of said boat?  

I think that's a "Hughes" not "Hewescraft"

• Like 1

And worth saving.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, bugger said:

Should someone point out to that guy that for $17k you can buy a 27' boat that is complete and ready to sail away?  

Edit:  Just looking on Craig's List where that boat is listed, the following boats are listed for less than $17k.  All appear in sail-away condition:

CS 27; Cal 2-29; Mirage 27, Hughes 31, Catalina 30, Alberg 30, Olson 30, Choate 27 and ODay 27, C&C Redwing 30.  Prices on those boats are 8kto 17k.   

Yeah, but...The V27 is a different sort of boat. It's really supposed to be the boat to take around the Horn if you can't find a Vertue in good condition.  I think the $17K is reasonable on the theory that by the time you are finished with the build and fit-out, the  $17K will be a small percentage of the total.

18 hours ago, Zonker said:

I think that's a "Hughes" not "Hewescraft"

Hughes (does the tractor come with the boat?):

$_59.JPG

Hewescraft (Alaska):

Image-9346-web.png

And the Hewes that is more common in FL:

hewes-18.jpg

All boats, but confusing.

- Stumbling

On 6/12/2019 at 9:24 AM, SemiSalt said:

Yeah, but...The V27 is a different sort of boat. It's really supposed to be the boat to take around the Horn if you can't find a Vertue in good condition.  I think the $17K is reasonable on the theory that by the time you are finished with the build and fit-out, the  $17K will be a small percentage of the total.

My first 'big' boat was a Vertue.. I was going  to sail her around the Horn... but then I sobered up.....

Strange to relate I bought her in 1984 for Aus$17,000.... sold her in 1994 for Aus $17,000... only capital expense in the 10 years was new sails.... bonzer boat

Sailing Partners Wanted - Be Part of the Adventure - $20000

The s/v LABORA is up and sailing from last month heading south from Denmark to the Mediterranean, with plenty of people participating and joining the club to learn seamanship.
 We've also had several Club members join as trustees contributing a fair amount of cash to upgrade and keep the boat going as a sailing school and  adventure sailing to far off corners, just to let all of you anarchist  know that the project is working quite nicely, regardless of all the mud throwing and negative attitude on here.  
https://www.libertyinternationalsailing.club/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LibertySailing/

LOGO-33 copy.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, takudave said:

regardless of all the mud throwing and negative attitude on here

17 hours ago, takudave said:

The s/v LABORA is up and sailing from last month heading south from Denmark to the Mediterranean, with plenty of people participating and joining the club to learn seamanship.
 We've also had several Club members join as trustees contributing a fair amount of cash to upgrade and keep the boat going as a sailing school and  adventure sailing to far off corners, just to let all of you anarchist  know that the project is working quite nicely, regardless of all the mud throwing and negative attitude on here.  

LOGO-33 copy.jpg

Sending friendly financial auditors your way. We're sure all the investors will want to know the results of the audit.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, stumblingthunder said:

Hughes (does the tractor come with the boat?):

$_59.JPG

- Stumbling

You're missing the point - the tractor IS the boat. For beach launching.

Just now, Black Sox said:

You're missing the point - the tractor IS the boat. For beach launching.

I though it was "Buy this boat, or else we bury it with this tractor!"

- Stumbling

23 hours ago, takudave said:

Excellent. We shall continue the mud slinging then. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, takudave said:

This old saying flashed into my mind when I read the above;

"You can fool some of the people some of the time,

And you can't fool all of the people all of the time,

But you can fool enough people enough of the time."

LOGO-33 copy.jpg

Fuck that! 

53 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

LOGO-33 copy.jpg

Fuck that!  

Certainly not my wheelhouse

FB- Doug

Grifters gonna grift.

Oooo, look at that transom wedge, that was candy to powerboaters back then. Even the camera angle suggests the owner was proud of that. I didn't know you could shove a cabin top that far forward, that's a Bayliner detail...

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/d/big-lake-luger-with-roll-up-keel/6903910242.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Dave, this is not going well.

Brings back memories of another SA thread. Which about one reply in went 

Dirty30. Great days. *wipes tear*

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Yes, that thread was a hoot. Certainly rivalled some of Lord Dubin's threads.

4 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

In addition to the epic thread Dirty spawned here it was great fun abusing him on other forums where he was begging Brian Toss, among others, to work on his boat for free. OK, not exactly free, he'd let them have the privilege of staying on the mold factory over night.

Dirty30 was my favourite Dunning Kruger poster so far.

He was a lot of fun.

40 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Oh my lord.  Don’t know about the prize but if it exists you’re in the running...

My favorite is the wood stove(?) Secured with nylon cord.  Lots of crazy in that listing. 

2 hours ago, Cisco said:

Not on CraigsList...... however.. is there a prize?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sharpie-ketch-rigged-launched-2015-exceptional-value/234190

At $14k Australian you may get your money back out of the parts and still have a good chook shed at the end....

Bendigo is some hours by fast road from the sea....

Damn I wish I was back home ATM - I wouldn't be able to resist taking a look at that in person. That takes eccentric to a new level.

FKT

Should we be concerned that the final photo shows a chart of PNW?  

I think... that boat makes me feel a little bit better about my own woodworking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toddster said:

I think... that boat makes me feel a little bit better about my own woodworking.

Well it was designed by that well known Canadian Juan de Fuca.....

I'm left wondering Y de Fuca?

38 minutes ago, toddster said:

Exactly!  I'm a 1/2" ply, jigsaw & screws kind of carpenter, and if I went insane that's probably what my boat's interior would end up looking like too.  

• Like 1

There is a lot of wonderful there. Why didn't I ever think of bolting a vise to the bulkhead over the stove?

3_4.jpg

WTF? TV antenna in the bilge?

16_4.jpg

• Like 1

I see a lot to like, it just needs ~50% of the topsides replaced with deck and an efficient, seaworthy arrangement put in place. My wife and I putter about the Salish Sea for weeks at a time in our 22"vessel. This sharpie with smartly planned structural and anesthetic upgrades would be a hoot.

14 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I see a lot to like, it just needs ~50% of the topsides replaced with deck and an efficient, seaworthy arrangement put in place. My wife and I putter about the Salish Sea for weeks at a time in our 22"vessel. This sharpie with smartly planned structural and anesthetic upgrades would be a hoot.

Titter.......... :)

Well it is an exceptional value.

Just not in the way the term is usually understood.

17 hours ago, Cisco said:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sharpie-ketch-rigged-launched-2015-exceptional-value/234190

At $14k Australian you may get your money back out of the parts and still have a good chook shed at the end....

Winner.

Some beautiful wood in there. The galley/hardware store is novel.

0_4.jpg

Not mocking the boat. Highly desirable to me and this one looks like a decent deal, especially considering it has a piece of electronics that all of us could use...

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/barnegat-light-sailboat-catalina-capri/6903040385.html

Sailboat Catalina Capri 22WK - $4500 (Loveladies, NJ) 

image 4 of 9

00p0p_777Hr4z5JDW_600x450.jpg

condition: good 
length overall (LOA): 24 
make / manufacturer: Catalina 
model name / number: Capri 
propulsion type: sail 
year manufactured: 1995 

1995 Catalina Capri with Wing Keel. White with teal stripes. Includes main, jib, 150 and 135. Draft 2.5 perfect for Barnegat Bay. Trailer and Johnson 6 HP 2 stroke outboard motor. Apparent win indicator, compass, depth and speed instruments. Battery, life jackets and cooler also included.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Cisco said:

Is that diamond plate? the layout is fascinating. Like feathers on a bird. Scales on a fish turtle .

22_4.jpg

Those apparent win indicators are useful...you can find them on pokerstars.net

• Like 2

"Apparently we won".

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Winner.

0_4.jpg

Only a little over $10,000 US and the thing can sail the Bass Strait.  Guess it won’t have any problems sailing the Pacific, getting through the canal and then across the Caribbean.  What a bargain.  To sail it, all one would need is X-Ray vision to see through that “house” on top of the boat.  

I KNOW MY EYES ARE NOT TELLING ME THAT THERE IS A WOOD BURNING STOVE TIED DOWN WITH CORD.  

Getting it to 85% complete would take too much time & money.

That is the first time I have seen stairs into the bilge.

57 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Getting it to 85% complete would take too much time & money.

That is the first time I have seen stairs into the bilge.

Even though they are a repurposed stepladder.

00P0P_hqwe7gG1am4_1200x900.jpg

My limited knowledge of water jets tells me that to be efficient they need to operate in air not water. In other words the boat needs to plane. Does that look possible with this hull form?

00707_e8337HxakRG_1200x900.jpg

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Winner.

0_4.jpg

I appreciate Uglyboats more than many but it's possible to go too far. And then to blast waaaaay beyond too far.

The windmill tied to a 2x4 in the middle of everything is pretty awesome.

Like Ishmael, I'm wondering WTF this is?

16_4.jpg

34 minutes ago, Importunate Tom said:

I appreciate Uglyboats more than many but it's possible to go too far. And then to blast waaaaay beyond too far.

16_4.jpg

Clearly a seasoned blue water sailor. He has carefully secured his AGM battery bank such that he can survive a knock down while rounding Cape Horn...actually the fireworks could be pretty spectacular...

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Even though they are a repurposed stepladder.

What's your point?

Companion 1.JPG

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

What's your point?

Companion 1.JPG

Those look like the steps in our laundry room ten twenty years from now.

That looks like a nice comfy cruising boat.

14 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Is that diamond plate? the layout is fascinating. Like feathers on a bird. Scales on a fish turtle .

22_4.jpg

First thought, Great way to get the kids out of the cockpit by gluing down Legos baseboards!  Later, I would then hate to go up on the bow at night barefoot....

- Stumbling

23 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Clearly a seasoned blue water sailor. He has carefully secured his AGM battery bank such that he can survive a knock down while rounding Cape Horn...actually the fireworks could be pretty spectacular...

Yeah, hot terminal 3/4" from the metal strapping, That TV antenna could switch to 'Broadcast Mode' real quick-like.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, Importunate Tom said:

16_4.jpg

That is some next level engineering there folks...   Non conductive steel from Russian submarines.  Donated by Flirt of Paget of course.

There should be an "erector set championship" award framed proudly on a bulkhead somewhere.   Oh wait, had to make room for the sideways bench vice install.  Argg.

30 minutes ago, Windward said:

That is some next level engineering there folks...   Non conductive steel from Russian submarines.  Donated by Flirt of Paget of course.

There should be an "erector set championship" award framed proudly on a bulkhead somewhere.   Oh wait, had to make room for the sideways bench vice install.  Argg.

Gotta love the exposed hot-wire connections too.... 

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

With the extra long fasteners to ensure they catch anything loose.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No no no!   Those are for future tie in's to the Erector set upgrades.   The wind vane, auto steering and the firework launchers as someone above mentioned.

Genius level stuff here!

18 hours ago, hard aground said:

I think the guy is just trolling

6_4.jpg

Is this a boat or a tree fort??

28 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Is this a boat or a tree fort??

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes.

Prediction: In the end, they will trace the fire to the toaster

26 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Prediction: In the end, they will trace the fire to the toaster

Ok Israel Hands has the toaster. I’m going to say the Meccano holding the batteries in place.  Who else?

I say the fire is caused by the owner falling asleep with a lit cigarette that falls out of his mouth. 

My guess is some kind soul saving the sight of the sailing world.

And a dead give away its a 'Strayan boat.....

I think I still have some of that lying around 16 years on....

String.jpg

I don't think I could actually handle meeting the man whose mind conceived all this.....   I'm already scared just understanding that he's 'out there' somewhere... loose even!

• Like 1

Maybe even breeding.

Before Darwin inevitably harvests him.

38 minutes ago, Veeger said:

I don't think I could actually handle meeting the man whose mind conceived all this.....   I'm already scared just understanding that he's 'out there' somewhere... loose even!

Highly eclectic approach to fiddles. Some are screwed to the top, some  to the edges. Then there's a microwave oven with nothing at all holding it to its countertop. And while there is a place for live edge slabs in this world, I would think 'sailboat galley' is not perhaps the best place.

2_4.jpg

Note the incriminating Band Aids/sticking plasters in foreground.  French toast girl, beware.

Fascinatingly, he's used slotted pan head screws on the fiddles. Who uses slotted screws in the 21st century? The way he's put the fiddles in discrete pieces around the live edge is also impressive. I guess fiddles traditionally have gaps at corners, but this seems to have taken that style a bit too far somehow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Highly eclectic approach to fiddles. Some are screwed to the top, some  to the edges. Then there's a microwave oven with nothing at all holding it to its countertop. And while there is a place for live edge slabs in this world, I would think 'sailboat galley' is not perhaps the best place.

2_4.jpg

Note the incriminating Band Aids/sticking plasters in foreground.  French toast girl, beware.

And a discerning eye will note the Interlux products in the galley, or are those repurposed for the french toast dip?

Either way, bravo for "front and face" with the labels neatly facing forward.

Some of these photos remind me of a phone game my daughter was playing on a long airplane trip, where you had to find all the clues in a static image to move forward.

• Like 1

Wow.  There are three cans just like that sitting right here on my desk, saying "Screw these reports - go outside and work on the boat!"

• Like 1

The ad clearly states it needs a new pilothouse but you gotta wonder, WTF happened to the pilot house that was on it?

00z0z_l7uBiUJpOVj_600x450.jpg

And if this is the bilge pump, does it look:

A. Undersized
B. Lonely
C. Temporary
D. all of the above

• Like 1

Probably dead from oil poisoning

1 hour ago, toddster said:

I think that’s the fourth time around the thread for that one, which officially makes it a recurring nightmare.

Maybe fifth. I've lost track of some of these.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Maybe fifth. I've lost track of some of these.

I think I am guilty of maybe one of the rounds.

- Stumbling

16 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

The ad clearly states it needs a new pilothouse but you gotta wonder, WTF happened to the pilot house that was on it?

00z0z_l7uBiUJpOVj_600x450.jpg

And if this is the bilge pump, does it look:

A. Undersized
B. Lonely
C. Temporary
D. all of the above

It must be the water there.

Anybody notice the rig with the broken spreader in the background?

- Stumbling

36 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

It must be the water there.

Anybody notice the rig with the broken spreader in the background?

- Stumbling

At first, I thought it was the rig from another boat, obscured from view. No?

On 6/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Cisco said:

String.jpg

I think this is actually an elaborate automated distress signal.  If the boat rolls or is knocked down, it detonates automatically, lighting up the sky for miles around.  

• Like 1

https://www.domain.com.au/advice/heres-what-the-ato-is-cracking-down-on-this-year-849528/?utm_campaign=strap-masthead&utm_source=smh&utm_medium=link&utm_content=pos5&ref=pos1

I read "waist tank" and thought it must have been bath, but then it may have meant "waste tank" a different thing altogether.

12 hours ago, knobblyoldjimbo said:

https://www.domain.com.au/advice/heres-what-the-ato-is-cracking-down-on-this-year-849528/?utm_campaign=strap-masthead&utm_source=smh&utm_medium=link&utm_content=pos5&ref=pos1

I read "waist tank" and thought it must have been bath, but then it may have meant "waste tank" a different thing altogether.

A waist tank is a terrible thing to mind....

- Stumbling

• Like 1

Waist tank or Molson Muscle?