blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

That's clever.

15 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

She said an ironing board is a board, so that's my department.:wacko:

On 9/9/2019 at 8:19 AM, leuk said:

I submit this to woodies lovers appreciation. Sorry for some pics size, they came as they were.

https://www.bandofboats.com/fr/buy/boat/42878?utm_medium=rtb&utm_source=criteo&utm_campaign=achat

5bfe8cd3a7e68-42878-1.jpg.9a82c0b83cfd7f44d5f62e0c5d65a03e.jpg5c01233abe532-42878-9.jpg.8106d6cd7d36e84686cf3f78a5c27098.jpg5c01233ad75c7-42878-17.jpg.4475708572ab4e9709d6e958ec8d9f14.jpg

5c01233ab51ca-42878-6.jpg.dbb0c16d8f90380e98ec491b1e7efdbe.jpg5c01233aaee16-42878-4.jpg.05f3f996d3bdbd5947ca68c19a0abc28.jpg

For 10.000 euros, you get a -I quote- "half-rebuilt" boat. So, even though the dodger itself is "90% rebuilt", the project misses the 80% complete category by a big margin.

I am sure a little elbow grease and those insignificant imperfections will come right out. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, g7tunison said:

From the pictures ( which do occasionally lie) the hull and topsides look sorta ok. But the interior....looks like a chainsaw/dumpster project  to me

As the happy owner of a small camper-van, I really don't mock the boat itself.  I think it's a pretty cool idea and something that could be very relaxing for a long weekend spent on the Delta........... but the price???  $15,000?!  Welcome to the SF Bay Area where people think whatever they're selling is made of gold.  Or maybe it's believed that if you can afford to live here, you can afford to pay more for their listed items.  

Unfortunately it seems these Sea Campers have a following like VW camper-vans or Harley Davidson, so they carry a higher price.  At least in the minds of the sellers.  

It appears this person fitted a larger, more modern OB engine to the stern.  I believe this boat is supposed to have a much smaller inboard engine.  My main concern would be that adding an additional 60+hp to the transom of a fiberglass hull, might create some structural integrity issues.  

It sure is ugly, but I can easily imagine relaxing weekends spent fishing or just hanging out on the deck or roof with a cold drink.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/emeryville-1972-sea-camper-26-houseboat/6974238113.html

00x0x_bxp2NP613xy_600x450.jpg

00C0C_gOeOgBWYIOl_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

I am sure a little elbow grease and those insignificant imperfections will come right out. 

It's wood so the buffer won't work.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Three grits of beavers, finish up with  a soft cloth dipped in termites. When you are done polishing up that particular boat, you'll see the reflection of your own face: bearded, insane, and ninety years old.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Winston29 said:

As the happy owner of a small camper-van, I really don't mock the boat itself.  I think it's a pretty cool idea and something that could be very relaxing for a long weekend spent on the Delta........... but the price???  $15,000?!  Welcome to the SF Bay Area where people think whatever they're selling is made of gold.  Or maybe it's believed that if you can afford to live here, you can afford to pay more for their listed items.  

Unfortunately it seems these Sea Campers have a following like VW camper-vans or Harley Davidson, so they carry a higher price.  At least in the minds of the sellers.  

It appears this person fitted a larger, more modern OB engine to the stern.  I believe this boat is supposed to have a much smaller inboard engine.  My main concern would be that adding an additional 60+hp to the transom of a fiberglass hull, might create some structural integrity issues.  

It sure is ugly, but I can easily imagine relaxing weekends spent fishing or just hanging out on the deck or roof with a cold drink.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/emeryville-1972-sea-camper-26-houseboat/6974238113.html

I can see it's utility as a roomy stabbin' cabin.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Never said buffer...what I said was chainsaw, band sawmills, planner, hammer, wooden pegs cut slightly oversized, and plenty of lead and bolts. Helps if one has skill at casting large quantities of lead because I am very sure this 90% complete boat has had its keel/ballast sold off to a scrap metal dealer. Of course to save money and the environment, a broad ax, a two man crosscut saw and an adz and draw knife might REALLY enhance the “elbow” grease experience. 

On 9/11/2019 at 4:07 PM, Winston29 said:

Aspen YC has one of these as their RC boat. Name is Waterbed. Complete with original inboard. I'm not sure if I have ever felt more character on a boat than Waterbed. I'll grab some pics next time I'm there.

• Like 1

Regarding the Redline 25 trawler, i might not want to own it put I am impressed with the creativity and workmanship.

Damn well done!

1 hour ago, Nirie said:

Regarding the Redline 25 trawler, i might not want to own it put I am impressed with the creativity and workmanship.

Damn well done!

The interior looks pretty decently done, but the design is just plain weird.

$_59.JPG

Another in the dinghy series, for those who want a craft you can kayak paddle or use the aux motor. With the hull shape of an Eskimo Topolino [or a wing tank] it will be a bit tippy at rest. Amaze your friends when you take them prawning or out to check your anchor set.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/d/santa-cruz-2-person-yellow-submarine/6974059765.html

• Like 1

Those sorts of gadgets always seemed to me like a great way to get into decompression trouble.  Or for unfit divers to get into places that they can't get back from, when the batteries run down.  

On 9/13/2019 at 9:57 PM, Ishmael said:

The interior looks pretty decently done, but the design is just plain weird.

$_59.JPG

I Admire the seat back angle and don't find the helm all that weird, though throttles shouldn't block windows.

This is the weird part:

$_59.JPG

I have a hard time giving a sail to power conversion any credit as I've heard they tend to be rolling pukers, You'd have to prove to me it isn't one.

Maybe with the mass of the house this one is OK.  Still, 30" draft on a powerboat this small negates any real gunkhole capability.

The design and workmanship are way better than the usual backyard abortions that foul the waterways.  The house does well in the rowaway category but it clashes with the hull. Sorry.

Where are the large forward cockpit scuppers?  Drop boards?  It needs a water resistant hatch.  Deal breaker.

Winner, first cockpit table ice flame pit thingy.

Hah, comes with a Honda 2000.

Seems to be a shortage of throw pillows.

Is that a Yanmar\ottoman?

15 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Now that we are getting back to "real sailboats," may I present

00000_7VQ43Ara20v_600x450.jpg

1982 island trader 46 - $7500 

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/bridgeton-1982-island-trader-46/6980305402.html

I would love to see what's growing down below. Notice there are no interior photos. Hmmmm...

26 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:
9 hours ago, socalrider said:

Speechless indeed!

I like the girls. The dog does not look like a real 'boat dog' but he looks like a good guy

Who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to have a fire in the cockpit? Is this some kind of pinhead new-age crystal-y thing?

FB- Doug

6 minutes ago, Bull City said:
23 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I would love to see what's growing down below. Notice there are no interior photos. Hmmmm...

There was an old man living on this boat last year. I wonder what happened.

FB- Doug

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

There was an old man living on this boat last year. I wonder what happened.

Hmmm...sorry to hear that. May have been a castle to him.

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I like the girls. The dog does not look like a real 'boat dog' but he looks like a good guy

Who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to have a fire in the cockpit? Is this some kind of pinhead new-age crystal-y thing?

FB- Doug

Indeed. Once you get past the flames in the cockpit, licking at the varnished table leaves, and what appears to be either a fixed tube or (God forbid) a hose feeding propane to the fire...

The girls are drinking wine, the photo-taker an IPA. Put that damn fire out, get under the blanket, all good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I spent 20 years in the Navy ensuring that there were NOT fires aboard ship, and now this idiocy shows up.

Also:

truly built for crossing oceans!

And not a single handhold or grab bar in sight anywhere in the cabin or elsewhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

The one holding the wheel is quite attractive.

The boat, however...good luck grabbing a cold beer on port tack without wearing the contents of that fridge. .

00z0z_jbaT3IYrKID_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The one holding the wheel is quite attractive.

The boat, however...good luck grabbing a cold beer on port tack without wearing the contents of that fridge. .

00z0z_jbaT3IYrKID_1200x900.jpg

You big silly, that's cigar humidor.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

And not a single handhold or grab bar in sight anywhere in the cabin or elsewhere.

Yeah, I love the combination of the "built for crossing oceans", new "heavy offshore" sails, and a fire pit in the cockpit, fridge that swings open on port tack, etc... If you're gonna do a San Diego party boat, just do it & forget about the sails & stuff.  

The original layout had a console where the ottoman is.  Wonder if he still has it?

image.png.d91a375175cc2a0d10b80cc643cc0093.png

On 8/19/2019 at 7:07 AM, Steam Flyer said:

What you all aren't seeing is the extending robotic arm that holds the chartplotter out & up, it responds to voice commands and holds at the exact height requested and also tilts it so there is no glare.

The one on the other side fetches you a beer and/or coffee

FB- Doug

Alexa, what's our course? or
A new take on  "On your knees b**ch"

44 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

The LED rope lights over the galley is a nice touch

Yes I was going to point out that someone was mistaken when they said there were no handholds - it's just that they have been taken up with decorative rope lights. That would hurt!

17 hours ago, socalrider said:

You all don't understand:

1) The boat is called Oceanis

2) There are at least three ways to stay warm on the boat

3) San Diego is on the Ocean

= ocean ready 

only the dog seems to disagree, but what does he know!

I bet that ottoman has some stories...

oh wait...what thread is this?

2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

You all don't understand:

1) The boat is called Oceanis

2) There are at least three ways to stay warm on the boat

3) San Diego is on the Ocean

= ocean ready 

only the dog seems to disagree, but what does he know!

Two outta three ain't bad.

I think any ad that lists (as the one above does) the following items as 'selling features' mocks itself:

• 1 walk in closet
  • 50" 4k TV
  • Honda 2000 generator
  • Portable wine fridge
  • Custom walk in closet (for the ladies)

So I am not sure if there are two "walk in" closets or just one but repeated twice.  

Nothing says 'dock condo' like those accouterments.  

Not often you find a boat that's been so thoughtfully upgraded over the years.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/islander-34-2-3558180/

The current owner has owned the boat about 20 years.

Equipment List

12 Volt Refrigeration

Micrologic Loran C (Inoperative)

Autohelm Belt Style Autopilot(The condition of the unit is unknown.  The current owner has not used the Autopilot at all since he has owned the boat.)

Original Signet Instruments Speed Depth Wind (Not sure if they are working)

4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:
4 hours ago, herdingbats said:

image.png.798a10da6fe48ddf6c7094ef73739ba2.png

If you're thinking about buying at an attractive price, this may be the one.

Sorry, but that ain't the one.

Neither the price NOR the boat is attractive.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:
4 hours ago, herdingbats said:

image.png.798a10da6fe48ddf6c7094ef73739ba2.png

If you're thinking about buying at an attractive price, this may be the one.

Sorry, but that ain't the one.

Neither the price NOR the boat is attractive.

It's fractally ugly. Did you notice the hood ornament?

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I think I'm glad there were no pics of the unfinished custom interior.

be a bit like going to sea in an over ripe cabbge..... rescue green

• Like 1

I see that he has cleats but chooses not to use them, preferring the bollard like objects instead...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

40 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Its not easy being green.

Is the thing on the dock a hatch cover or an Area 51 heat shield?

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 6:34 AM, Hypercapnic Tom said:

I Admire the seat back angle and don't find the helm all that weird, though throttles shouldn't block windows.

This is the weird part:

$_59.JPG

Fishing boat seats?

18 minutes ago, Therapy said:

The hanging paddle is pretty.....different.

going to be a pretty awkward paddling location... Depending on whats getting paddled i guess

17 hours ago, Therapy said:

The hanging paddle is pretty.....different.

I think that's for getting pizza out of the foredeck wood-burning pizza oven (not shown).

• Like 5

Such a pastoral scene, looking towards the penal colonies of Mission.:ph34r: A good hideout for the first 24 hours, albeit a might damp.

Not sure of the pedigree here...mystery hull.

" No two words go together quite as well as "free" and "sailboat"
This beauty has apparently never seen the water. 50' length, 14' width.
Fibreglass construction
It is unfinished and needs the next chapter of construction.
Trust me, you want this! Your wife will be ok with it!
No tire kickers please.
No I will not deliver it.
This boat requires a crane or some sort of boat moving crew.
Thanks " Free sailboat hull - boats - by owner

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Such a pastoral scene, looking towards the penal colonies of Mission.:ph34r: A good hideout for the first 24 hours, albeit a might damp.

Fibreglass construction
No tire kickers please.

I think it's ready for a Viking funeral, except it's such an offence against carbon sequestration.

34 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I think it's ready for a Viking funeral, except it's such an offence against carbon sequestration.

If it was a twin keeler they could at least hook it to the Massey Ferguson and plow the back 40.

Stand it on it's end and make a grain silo out of it.

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

It's an Ariel 48 - designed by Vladimir Plavsic. I think it was one of those "We'll build 6 and mine will be the profit" kind of deals that were so common in the 70's.

Except they never built 6 - more like 2 or 3 and AFAIK none were ever completed.

A guy had the bright finished plug across Grand Boulevard from me in the 80's. It was gorgeous but he let it deteriorate until it was used as a prop in some sort of disaster flick.

That free hull cost somebody the price of a condo 40 years ago.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
12 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

It's an Ariel 48 - designed by Vladimir Plavsic. I think it was one of those "We'll build 6 and mine will be the profit" kind of deals that were so common in the 70's.

Except they never built 6 - more like 2 or 3 and AFAIK none were ever completed.

A guy had the bright finished plug across Grand Boulevard from me in the 80's. It was gorgeous but he let it deteriorate until it was used as a prop in some sort of disaster flick.

That free hull cost somebody the price of a condo 40 years ago.

I would say, it will make a great planter but it looks like it already is one

- DSK

50 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

The Fractal Dinghy has made it back, again to tampabay craigslist:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/newburg-homebuilt-sailboat-2003/6983150751.html

00r0r_agKCMGnfs48_600x450.jpg

01010_ac5ldMuzro_1200x900.jpg

I admire how someone gave him a dinghy stern, and he grew the rest of the boat, mathematically from that boat seed....

Also, judging from the painted waterline, that is one heavy layup on the hull.

- Stumbling

I like the ladder stand off rack “blended” into the transom for the traveler support.

Every time this evergreen shows up here, I find more to marvel at thanks to the ingenious mariners of Florida.

3 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I like the ladder stand off rack “blended” into the transom for the traveler support.

Every time this evergreen shows up here, I find more to marvel at thanks to the ingenious mariners of Florida.

This is actually a Maryland builder.   He is just casting his net far and wide for a mullet to take this treasure.

I saw this boat on the Maryland Craigslist, over a year and a half ago and then it appeared in Florida CL last year.

- Stumbling

37 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

The Fractal Dinghy has made it back, again to tampabay craigslist:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/newburg-homebuilt-sailboat-2003/6983150751.html

00r0r_agKCMGnfs48_600x450.jpg

01010_ac5ldMuzro_1200x900.jpg

I admire how someone gave him a dinghy stern, and he grew the rest of the boat, mathematically from that boat seed....

Also, judging from the painted waterline, that is one heavy layup on the hull.

- Stumbling

Actually it looks like it has been much modified from the pics in earlier ads.

I'm kind of puzzled how a person smart enough to build such a thing could not realize that boats have been built before and have at least seen a couple of them. There are some pics of it sailing on some of the earlier ads.

The drain is also a product of original thought.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

I saw this boat on the Maryland Craigslist, over a year and a half ago and then it appeared in Florida CL last year.

First rule of persuasion: Know your audience.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Fibreglass construction
No tire kickers please.

nice hull shape.  Wonder who the designer is.

Nevermind, I saw Johns post now.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:28 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Actually it looks like it has been much modified from the pics in earlier ads.

I'm kind of puzzled how a person smart enough to build such a thing could not realize that boats have been built before and have at least seen a couple of them. There are some pics of it sailing on some of the earlier ads.

The drain is also a product of original thought.

FB- Doug

The suck-in tube at the bottom will help the drain keep working I imagine.

• Like 1

Mocking this just based on price and (lack of) information and photos presented. This is all there is-

Hudson Ketch - $94500 (Norfolk)

condition: fair
length overall (LOA): 60
make / manufacturer: Hudson
model name / number: Force 50
propulsion type: sail
year manufactured: 1985

Great live aboard needs TLC. Can't finish my project. New masts, Jib and rollers furling.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/norfolk-hudson-ketch/6984570690.html

Friends, here is one with no pictures. So just picture this:

34' Morgan sloop - trailer (Gloucester)

length overall (LOA): 34
propulsion type: sail

Project I started but can't complete.
Classic shallow draft, swing keel sloop. Hull, decks and cabin in excellent condition.

Needs: engine, sails, boom, some standing and running rigging, galley stove/oven, clean up, paint and other unknow/TLC.

Previous owner fiberglassed over the swing keel, can be removed to allow it to go down again. Has duel fuel tanks.

$7,500 for the boat alone.

$4,500 for the trailer but boat must sell first.

OR $10,000 as package.

Cash only, no trades, as-is, where-is, on my property.

"duel fuel tanks."

I can see how dueling fuel tanks could be a safety hazard.  

Or the solution to this guy's problem.  

44 minutes ago, bugger said:

"duel fuel tanks."

I can see how dueling fuel tanks could be a safety hazard.  

Or the solution to this guy's problem.  

Ankle and calf hazard, unless they both are really poor shots...

- Stumbling

On 9/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

When I first saw this I went.....hmmmm....Ariel 48? Yup. Vlad and his partner, Ghengis, started the program. 6 for production huh? I think they built 2 (never finished) that included the plug. Vlad was an architect and don't know about his partner but likely no marine business people. But Vlad would tell you all about this: at record volume for noise. The program got started in the early '80's I believe when the business had cratered badly. "How do you make a small fortune in the boat business? Start with a big one!". Seen that over and over and over again.     

41 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Another in the dinghy series, the Zego, a rare find on CL over here. Purple and yellow give away it's vintage. https://zegosportsboats.com/

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/saanich-west-zego-sport-boat/6983612731.html

Need to send that down to LA - Lakers fans might jump on it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

When I first saw this I went.....hmmmm....Ariel 48? Yup. Vlad and his partner, Ghengis, started the program. 6 for production huh? I think they built 2 (never finished) that included the plug. Vlad was an architect and don't know about his partner but likely no marine business people. But Vlad would tell you all about this: at record volume for noise. The program got started in the early '80's I believe when the business had cratered badly. "How do you make a small fortune in the boat business? Start with a big one!". Seen that over and over and over again.     

Vlad & Ghengis Build a Boat: can't wait for the YouTube on this one! 

"Did you not wax the mold? Wax the mold is your job, Yurtboy. Now zee hull is stuck in gud."

"Put a pointed stick up yer arse, Vlad. I burn. I loot. I feast on the lamentations of women. I wax no mold."

Patreons gladly accepted!

3 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Vlad & Ghengis Build a Boat: can't wait for the YouTube on this one! 

"Did you not wax the mold? Wax the mold is your job, Yurtboy. Now zee hull is stuck in gud."

"Put a pointed stick up yer arse, Vlad. I burn. I loot. I feast on the lamentations of women. I wax no mold."

Patreons gladly accepted!

Apparently you know Vlad? His Kanata is just down the dock from me at WVYC.

2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I believe Ghengis had one - for sale for a long time partly built a few years back. IIRC he was a businessman - of questionable judgement since he got involved in this deal. :D

This one - obviously out of the mould.

The plug that sat at the top of Grand Boulevard in bright finish then sat in Race Rock for years painted baby blue with a keel mounted and lifelines but not much else until it was sold as the aforementioned movie prop.

Don't know if Vlad ever had one - certainly never finished one as he kept Kanata until he died.

1 hour ago, socalrider said:

Need to send that down to LA - Lakers fans might jump on it.  

Forgot LA, LSU fans would pay double or triple the asking price. Anything can be painted in LSU Fighting Tigers Purple and Gold (yellow really) boats, cars,  why I even saw a side by side four wheeler decked out and customized that was selling for over $100,000.00

9243272D-3D4F-4567-9B5C-41290AA40737.jpeg

30494BFA-1FC1-485E-AE80-BBB6FC69A620.jpeg

EDD549FC-5E96-4AAE-9911-AD7AFE1A729A.jpeg

57 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I believe Ghengis had one - for sale for a long time partly built a few years back. IIRC he was a businessman - of questionable judgement since he got involved in this deal. :D

This one - obviously out of the mould.

The plug that sat at the top of Grand Boulevard in bright finish then sat in Race Rock for years painted baby blue with a keel mounted and lifelines but not much else until it was sold as the aforementioned movie prop.

Don't know if Vlad ever had one - certainly never finished one as he kept Kanata until he died.

That's probably it SJB. I lost track a long time ago, or care. It's hard to do in the best of the times. Dealing with that Sceptre 41 I didn't know that Hien had built a few 41's in Washinton state that had some issues with things like blisters etc. Odd really as I knew Hein quite well. But it's hull #6.

Vlad's wife and his son have kept it in decent condition but they do the minimum to do the "sleepy boats" rule at our club.    

1 hour ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

the minimum to do the "sleepy boats" rule at our club.    

?????

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

?????

They put that in a number of years ago. it's a club; not a storage facility and not being used as it's one of the best moorages in the area. So you don't use it; you can lose it. The rules state (approx.) that you have to do a certain amount of usage is involved. Events like sailpast, racing or going to the outstations so you are off the dock or? At least making that commitment. Again, it's a club and a lifestyle. Not a commercial establishment. Most private marina's don't give a ratzass as long the moorage is paid promptly. Yes, people get sick (like me) there is certain latitude for that but older members leave the sale of the boat way too long and can't take care of it either. Little sad but?