blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

3 hours ago, Therapy said:

But the Blaze Orange rivets kinda brings out the Buccaneer in the holster eh?

hexcam-spectre-13-aiwb-wing-holster-3.jpg

Art?  

On 9/11/2019 at 1:07 PM, Winston29 said:

$15,000?  Welcome to the SF Bay Area where people think whatever they're selling is made of gold.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/emeryville-1972-sea-camper-26-houseboat/6974238113.html

00x0x_bxp2NP613xy_600x450.jpg

And yet another ugly, floating camper.  Is it possible this is worth $25K?  It is fairly new (2012).  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/d/capitola-custom-22-expedition-catamaran/6988820015.html

fullsizeoutput_c88.jpeg

12 hours ago, Norse Horse said:
12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think the best color for that hull is "deep in an underground cave"

FB- Doug

We know from 10 years of yoga pants observation that black can only hide so much.:ph34r:

No no, I mean the hull should actually be placed deep in an underground cave. Coupla miles oughta do it.

FB- Doug

38 minutes ago, Winston29 said:

And yet another ugly, floating camper.  Is it possible this is worth $25K?  It is fairly new (2012).  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/d/capitola-custom-22-expedition-catamaran/6988820015.html

fullsizeoutput_c88.jpeg

TWO offset companionways?

How many people has that thing killed?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Isn’t that Skip Allen’s replacement for the Wildflower he lost? 

I believe this is the colour of green one turns after eating a bad shrimp:

Get into the versatile Scarab 195 Open in Seafood Green with matching trailer....

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/muskoka/2018-scarab-195-openid/1416732357?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Call the authorities!!!   I have discovered where all the bows that have fallen off have gone, and a few transoms:

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/art/d/pensacola-nautical-sailboat-yard-art/6984830576.html

00x0x_1xlo3ZM5BO0_600x450.jpg

00e0e_1BgSU2wHJAm_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_cyYXsboyXwz_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_WY6iRax92o_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_cVfrmARhpUN_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_lSKkSFb9nt7_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_koSsdOBGygT_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_3Wz4A9YDQWq_1200x900.jpg

Now that is solved, I will start working on Planet 9, the Bermuda Triangle and the framing the question for the Meaning of Life...

- Stumbling

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

Now that is solved, I will start working on Planet 9, the Bermuda Triangle and the framing the question for the Meaning of Life...

- Stumbling

Find Hoffa first

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

Find Hoffa first

Hoffa was searching for the meaning of life with the wrong people, had his feet encased in cement, then was dropped in the Bermuda Triangle, which resulted  in being instant transportation to Planet 9.  

He has been wandering on that planet since, seeing 42 in everything there....

- Stumbling

58 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Hoffa was searching for the meaning of life with the wrong people, had his feet encased in cement, then was dropped in the Bermuda Triangle, which resulted  in being instant transportation to Planet 9.  

He has been wandering on that planet since, seeing 42 in everything there....

- Stumbling

sounds legit. 

5 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Call the authorities!!!   I have discovered where all the bows that have fallen off have gone, and a few transoms:

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/art/d/pensacola-nautical-sailboat-yard-art/6984830576.html

- Stumbling

Garden art? I see some re purposing going on down there...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:36 PM, Winston29 said:

fullsizeoutput_c88.jpeg

Um, do you have any idea who owns that?....or what kind of travelling that boat has done?   Or who built it? You might want to find out before trashing it on SA.   Trust me on this.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 10:16 PM, SloopJonB said:

Again, I know the owner and builder. I know where that boat has gone, and safe to say it's done some trips that might make you think twice about what you just wrote.

The owner and builder is Skip Allen...

winner of the first Singlehanded TransPac..navigator and crew on more crewed Hawaii races than I can count.

Winner of the 30th anniversary Singlehanded TransPac.  Crew aboard every first-rater IOR boat of the late 60's and 70's including Imp and more boats that I can even name. Skip Allen, personal friend to guys like Ron Holland and Bill Lee.  That boat has been trailered from Santa Cruz to Puget Sound and cruised the Salish Sea for weeks.  Skip thought really hard about entering the R2AK with Wildflower.

You know Skip Allan as "sleddog" here on Sailing Anarchy.   Now shush up with the shit talk about his boat.

• Like 3

The offset companionway is a joke from some dimwit(s) who used to rag on some of Bob Perry's designs (at least I think that is how it started).  Was not mean to be a serious comment, that much I am sure of. Too far back to remember for sure but likely the "buy my plans and build your steel boat guy".  He was a piece of work who was finally flicked. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan H said:

Um, do you have any idea who owns that?....or what kind of travelling that boat has done?   Or who built it? You might want to find out before trashing it on SA.   Trust me on this.

If you're going to play on online forums, you're really going to have to grow a thicker skin.  

I don't believe this thread was meant to be taken seriously, but instead is a place to voice lighthearted opinions, and that's what I did.  I voiced my opinion.  I think it's ugly, and I don't really care what you think of that.  My question about its value was a serious one.  2012, IMO, is fairly new, so I was asking if $25K seemed reasonable.  

Had you been paying any attention, you would have noticed that I said I really like this ugly floating camper, and it's 10X uglier than that goofy looking catamaran.  So clearly I like ugly boats.  

Nice of you to come to rescue of your friend, though.  

00x0x_bxp2NP613xy_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alan H said:

You're not from around here are you?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Winston29 said:

If you're going to play on online forums, you're really going to have to grow a thicker skin.  

I don't believe this thread was meant to be taken seriously, but instead is a place to voice lighthearted opinions, and that's what I did.  I voiced my opinion.  I think it's ugly, and I don't really care what you think of that.  My question about its value was a serious one.  2012, IMO, is fairly new, so I was asking if $25K seemed reasonable.  

Had you been paying any attention, you would have noticed that I said I really like this ugly floating camper, and it's 10X uglier than that goofy looking catamaran.  So clearly I like ugly boats.  

This thread is all in good fun I think.  I suggest the subject of ridicule be moved to the "ugly boats admiration" thread.  I don't know him but I suggest the owner might approve - he named it a "Frogcat 22" for crying out loud.  

Cool boat - kind of like a G32 but smushed down and drawn with an etch-a-sketch (ducking)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You're not from around here are you?

Well, I am, but. **crying**. I just can't seem to "fit in"...

LOL

2 minutes ago, socalrider said:

This thread is all in good fun I think.  I suggest the subject of ridicule be moved to the "ugly boats admiration" thread.  I don't know him but I suggest the owner might approve - he named it a "Frogcat 22" for crying out loud.  

Cool boat - kind of like a G32 but smushed down and drawn with an etch-a-sketch (ducking)

The boat has been discussed on Sailing Anarchy before, though.

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/133223-skip-allens-new-wildflower-is-a-multi/

As for Skip Allen,  look up "sleddog" on the member list, here.  Ski was on board Imp for the '79 Fastnet.

and there's this:  http://sailingmagazine.net/article-38-abandoning-ship:-gut-wrenching,-perilous,-sometimes-right.html

If Skip Allen chooses to build himself a small cruising catamaran, I'm not going to argue with him about the boat.

http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2012/01/02/skipallan/cruisingcat.html

• Like 1

So now you know all about the boat.

BTW, Winston 29 there's a sistership to that floating camper parked next to my Piper. I'm almost certain it's the exact same design. It's not gorgeous but if I was flat broke and needed a place to live and maybe wanted to go fishing sometimes, I could do worse.

• Like 1

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/tarpon-springs-37-atkin-ketch/6992417689.html

This CL advertisement is pretty straightforward, with the exception of one picture.   I present "The Gunmother":

00p0p_3kfOkc6rO3I_1200x900.jpg

Port and starboard gun batteries.

Pesky jet skiers?   This boat is ready for them!!!

God bless Florida....

Ad needs to include, "port and starboard scorch marks will rub right out..."

- Stumbling

God.  This thread has become my favorite thread on SA.  Since I live in Sacramento, Hillbilly Capital of the West, AKA the Devil's Armpit, I run across this stuff everyday.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:43 AM, stumblingthunder said:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/tarpon-springs-37-atkin-ketch/6992417689.html

This CL advertisement is pretty straightforward, with the exception of one picture.   I present "The Gunmother":

00p0p_3kfOkc6rO3I_1200x900.jpg

Port and starboard gun batteries.

I think the dorade box took some friendly fire.:(

54 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Here's a Fraser River deal for the right person.

Just needs new flotation, a new structure and a new roof.

And only $5500.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bpo/d/delta-northeast-log-float-and-work/6986961533.html

image.png.bbb69c32d46f90c973e4bf093eb98d9b.png

Now that's a halfway house...

23 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I think the dorade box took some friendly fire.:(

Most of the time you are sending fire, sometimes you receive fire...

- Stumbling

7 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Most of the time you are sending fire, sometimes you receive fire...

- Stumbling

Or she, you know, sat on it....

This is so welcoming:

"Lowballers need to know. It is almost impossible to find this particular 1974 vessel, even, with minimal sails, and 
without a motor or electronics for under 7K.
It's a steal for the price from any point of perception!
On top of that I'm throwing in the YANMAR 27Hp. TO BOOT.
That alone is $3500. Though now the price for vessel and motor has gone up $500, as I power washed the entire topsides.
So lowballers and underexperienced dreamers. Do not waste my time."

There are some other gems such as this threat:

"If you don't buy it or trade me a car truck other van of equal value that will pass smog
Then eventually I will refit it. "

Who will keep this person from refitting it? I actually do like the boat (Yankee 30) to some degree.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/pescadero-1974-yankee-30-mkiii-27hp/6993071552.html

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

This is so welcoming:

"Lowballers need to know. It is almost impossible to find this particular 1974 vessel, even, with minimal sails, and 
That alone is $3500. Though now the price for vessel and motor has gone up $500, as I power washed the entire topsides.

"If you don't buy it or trade me a car truck other van of equal value that will pass smog

Who will keep this person from refitting it? I actually do like the boat (Yankee 30) to some degree.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/pescadero-1974-yankee-30-mkiii-27hp/6993071552.html

Another bonehead that thinks cleaning something makes it more valuable.

I think his time is pretty much -all- wasted by definition, along with the oxygen he consumes

- DSK

11 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

That alone is $3500.

The ad also says the boat has been on the trailer for 15 years.  I kinda doubt that engine has even been turned over in 15 years. 

So an engine that is probably hopelessly seized (and certainly needs a substantial overhaul) is worth $3,500? 

I don't think so.  

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Another bonehead that thinks cleaning something makes it more valuable.

On the used sailboat market it actually does.

Most used boats are left so filthy and in such disarray that the rare clean one will fetch top dollar.

I speak from experience. :D

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

On the used sailboat market it actually does.

Most used boats are left so filthy and in such disarray that the rare clean one will fetch top dollar.

I speak from experience. :D

Makes it more likely to sell, if priced with some reasonableness relative to the market, yes.

Cleaning does not add any value, though. Fuckin' things ought to be kept clean to start with.

I had a relative trying to see a 20-ish (big for the time) outboard, on an almost-junk trailer. He had it listed for sale in various penny ads for ten years or so. During that time he dropped the asking price a little, and the transom went from a couple of potentially soft spots to saggy-rotted. For free beer, I came over and helped/directed him in fiberglassing in a new transom, FG over cheap plywood of course... he doubled the asking price. It still didn't sell and last I know (fifteen or so years ago) it was still in the back yard of the house which had since been sold, overgrown with weeds.

So many people are determined to set the example of "How Not To"

FB- Doug

On 10/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Alan H said:

Funny. I anchored near that boat off Sucia island in the San Juans back in 2014, and I am now in Capitola, which appears to be its current location.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:38 AM, SloopJonB said:

Here's a Fraser River deal for the right person.

Just needs new flotation, a new structure and a new roof.

And only $5500.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bpo/d/delta-northeast-log-float-and-work/6986961533.html

image.png.bbb69c32d46f90c973e4bf093eb98d9b.png

Gotta like the beauty tied up to it as well. $5,500... Those must be metric dollars.

14 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

This is so welcoming:

I've been watching that one for a while on our local CL.  The guy is in fantasyland.

40 minutes ago, bugger said:

A lovely boat.  More of a Freudian slip than typo, though.  :)

Wow..the owner is going to find out about the realities of market value for a 19 year old sailboat.

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Wow..the owner is going to find out about the realities of market value for a 19 year old sailboat.

Maybe it’s not a typo

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

$264K for a V-40?

That's not a typo, it's a statement of fact.

It's a V42, so later production. The price does seem a little high.

30 minutes ago, seaward25 said:

Office Depot decor meets trestle table and 4 panel doors.

That parquet floor :lol:deserves to die a cruel death... there, I said it...

19 minutes ago, toddster said:

Here is one tired-looking project.  

That's a brilliant find!  The ad says "Propulsion type:  sail" but also there is no rigging and there are no sails.  That is mockable (along with everything else about that derelict hull).  

27 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

That parquet floor :lol:deserves to die a cruel death... there, I said it...

I think it will get what it deserves, what with being installed on a boat and all. Doubt that was in the design brief for the material. 

7 hours ago, toddster said:

Here is one tired-looking project.  What is a "Chinese Rig Schooner?"  One that has no rig (and probably never did?)

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/d/cathlamet-55-ft-steel-schooner-reduced/6994517432.html

I admire that it at least floats.

00F0F_gbhaE89MOIq_1200x900.jpg

they were afraid you'd get the wrong idea if they called it a 'junk rig'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Diarmuid said:
20 hours ago, lasal said:

image.png.7656a8b98a6ea2031efa0a8303dcbc26.png

Does it come with the osprey nest? Will the osprey be cool with you moving its home?

This time of year, it should be OK

But you do NOT want to piss off a mama osprey. Not a pretty sight, not at all

FB- Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

There was a nesting pair on Cayuga Lake that assaulted canoers & kayakers who got too near. Always astonished at the sticks they manage to build into their nests. This is basically a large hawk:

three-osprey-c-richard-johnson_large_lan

36 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

There was a nesting pair on Cayuga Lake that assaulted canoers & kayakers who got too near. Always astonished at the sticks they manage to build into their nests. This is basically a large hawk:

Osprey are just hawks that do seafood takeout:

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

A marina that we used to put in at had a nest just outside it's entrance.  The defending osprey would come at you out of the sun, i.e. with the sun behind them.

I'd wait till I figured they were close then wave my paddle around.  You'd then see them peel off.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:14 AM, lasal said:

Was this the start of a duck blind? Poor man's teak deck? Ad says, "AS IS".

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/littleton-aluminum-boat/6993814298.html

image.png.7656a8b98a6ea2031efa0a8303dcbc26.png

16 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Does it come with the osprey nest? Will the osprey be cool with you moving its home?

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Osprey nest is a good guess, but I don't think that's it. Osprey like to nest up high, if we're getting ornithological.

That blue plastic bin is secured to both the gunnel and to the sheet of OSB. So, we might assume that the OSB is therefore attached to the boat. There is a green rag, and either a hose or a few snakes among the branches. Are those functional, or just clever distractions?

Perhaps the guy hates getting snagged on brush while fishing and figured if the brush was on the boat it would be really easy to retrieve his lure?

I'm going with goofball duck blind.

On our beach, the bald eagles hang out and wait for the osprey to catch something, then swoop in and try to take it away from them in a spectacular aerial dog fight.  They don't have time to worry about kayakers or (more often) windsurfers.  

Um... I've learned not to point this out to visitors from other countries because they always start looking thoughtful and come up with something like, "You know, that's a pretty good analogy..."

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Osprey are just hawks that do seafood takeout:

- Stumbling

We have 2 nests in front of our home. Ospreys are more than just hawks. They have talons so large they are cartoon-like.  They will plunge onto fish from on high, grab or stab their prey with those wicked things, and then somehow turn the fish right-side-up as they fly away with them.

Ospreys in our area migrate all the way to Colombia and Venezuela for the winter. They are like clockwork, arriving here the first week in March and departing the first week in September. Now we are in the lonely part of the year...

I can't recall the technical term for it (and google is no immediate help), but if you look closely, they can reverse one of their toes - it's like having two opposable thumbs.  More like a crane grapple than the average bird feet.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 5:09 AM, bmiller said:

Not a mock on the ad or boat, I'd really like to own it.

However, spot the funny typo before they fix it.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/82892

Thought I'd post the ad and typo before its lost.

2000 Valiant 42 located in North Carolina for sale

42' Valiant 42

Year
Length
Beam
Draft
42'
12.7'
6.0'
North Carolina
$264,000
clear.gif

Description: Restless is a late model V42 that is lightly used and in exceptional condition. Valiants are designed for Bluewater cruising and this boat can take you anywhere in the world in safety, comfort and with extreme price of ownership. Full details at www.svrestless.com

55 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

Thought I'd post the ad and typo before its lost.

2000 Valiant 42 located in North Carolina for sale

42' Valiant 42

Year
Length
Beam
Draft
42'
12.7'
6.0'
North Carolina
$264,000
clear.gif

Description: Restless is a late model V42 that is lightly used and in exceptional condition. Valiants are designed for Bluewater cruising and this boat can take you anywhere in the world in safety, comfort and with extreme price of ownership. Full details at www.svrestless.com

Truth in advertising, achieved....

- Stumbling

17 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

We have 2 nests in front of our home. Ospreys are more than just hawks. They have talons so large they are cartoon-like.  They will plunge onto fish from on high, grab or stab their prey with those wicked things, and then somehow turn the fish right-side-up as they fly away with them.

Ospreys in our area migrate all the way to Colombia and Venezuela for the winter. They are like clockwork, arriving here the first week in March and departing the first week in September. Now we are in the lonely part of the year...

Ospreys are awesome and I am really glad they've made a comeback. There are a lot of places on the southern US East Coast where they are rarely or never seen.

I love to watch a successful pair teaching their fledglings to fly and to hunt. We are fortunate to have numerous bald eagles and ospreys, both.

FB- Doug

39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

We are fortunate to have numerous bald eagles and ospreys, both.

Boat-neighbor and I were standing around talking in late August, when we were interrupted by an extended dogfight between a bald eagle and an osprey. Usually those are limited to just a pass or two, but this one went on for some time (maybe it was about territory rather than food in hand?). In any event, it was quite impressive. As the neighbor noted, how many people are lucky enough to see that in their daily lives?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Boat-neighbor and I were standing around talking in late August, when we were interrupted by an extended dogfight between a bald eagle and an osprey. Usually those are limited to just a pass or two, but this one went on for some time (maybe it was about territory rather than food in hand?). In any event, it was quite impressive. As the neighbor noted, how many people are lucky enough to see that in their daily lives?

We had a south wind yesterday (before it switched 180° and temps dropped 50 degrees), which always brings the big birds to our side of the Big Hollow to ride the updrafts. There was a bald eagle, a golden eagle (possibly juvenile? or molting?) , and a lone crow (our crows are the size of ravens) all trying to occupy the same elevator. Plenty of rolling onto backs, nipping feathers from above, Immelmann turns, presenting talons, and so on. Half an hour later, baldy and crow were sitting amiably side by side on a fence post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

In Florida, I have seen numerous times Bald Eagles stealing the hard won fish that have been hauled up into the air by Ospreys:

- Stumbling

3 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

In Florida, I have seen numerous times Bald Eagles stealing the hard won fish that have been hauled up into the air by Ospreys:

- Stumbling

Interesting to see that... around here it's almost always the opposite. No prolonged aerial combat, I think the ospreys are hungrier and meaner. IN fact a few years ago I saw an osprey chivvy an eagle into dropping some prey (not a fish, I think it might have been a nutria) right into it's nest.

FB- Doug

On 10/9/2019 at 3:26 AM, toddster said:

Here is one tired-looking project.  What is a "Chinese Rig Schooner?"  One that has no rig (and probably never did?)

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/d/cathlamet-55-ft-steel-schooner-reduced/6994517432.html

I admire that it at least floats.

00F0F_gbhaE89MOIq_1200x900.jpg

It's a Colvin GAZELLE with an ugly dog box on the aft deck and something really odd about the cabin but I lack sufficient interest to loo closer.

Was designed for a junk schooner rig.

EDIT - I actually read the ad, it's more likely the bigger version, a Pipistrelle, based on the claimed LOA. If it was closer to me I'd probably go take a look at it. But they've done some weird things to the design. It's not worth $10K in my mind. Free would be about right seeing it floats and supposedly can move on its own bottom.

FKT

41 minutes ago, See Level said:

^^^  It has that abandoned mental hospital look to it.

00u0u_lz5ViWUh4j9_600x450.jpg

Might have to invite the "Ghost Hunters" cast to spend the night and see what haunts it!

- Stumbling

19 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Might have to invite the "Ghost Hunters" cast to spend the night and see what haunts it!

- Stumbling

"Porcelain enamel sink good for cutting up ... things."

8 hours ago, See Level said:

^^^  It has that abandoned mental hospital look to it.

00u0u_lz5ViWUh4j9_600x450.jpg

That hull, if it was near me, would be interesting, but the *first* thing I'd do would be to rip out what passes for the interior and take a plasma cutter to the cabin parts that shouldn't be there.

At which point it's a fine judgement call as to whether it'd be better/faster to just start with the plans and build the hull myself. The quality of metal workmanship would make that call. Not the price. Though I wouldn't be paying the asking price, that's for sure. Maybe half if I was happy with the welding and the fairness of the plating.

Shrug. It's a steel project boat, maybe 15% complete. I've seen that design sell for $60K in sailing condition which puts a hard upper limit on value. As-is, it's negative worth IMO unless you were going to build one anyway.

FKT

Judging by the near absence of rust streaks it would appear that boat has had a little love while it molders.