blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

You can see through the rotted cabin sides but the hull is 99% rot free.

Right.

I’m confused about which way the $2k is going?  

What’s that in the upper right corner? Some actual dude expressing interest?  And we can send a message to him?

3 hours ago, Crump's Brother said:

I am wondering, do they really expect the little 4hp to make this much of a “motor” boat.  

Love the Cadillac hood ornament.  Just the thing to attach one’s mooring line.  

That "teak" decking probably cost more than the boat is worth.

It does seem to have been pretty skillfully restored.

Stick a rig back on it and have one of the nicest MacGregors extant.

My brother had a Mac 22 and I had a 25, both with the swing keel.  They were cheap, primitive and for the money fine first sailboats for novices.   I made $1000 when I sold mine, 25%!  It was fine, but I don’t miss it, and am flabbergasted someone would doll one up.    

5 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Love the Cadillac hood ornament.  Just the thing to attach one’s mooring line.  

And plus: everyone will know that you're classy!  

• Downvote 1

I have so many questions!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/boa/d/santa-rosa-46catamaran/7006782506.html

46' CATAMARAN, PROJECT.
BALSA MOLDED HULLS, WEST SYSTEMS CABIN AND DECK
NEEDS INTERIOR FINISHED, HATCHES AND PORTS INSTALLED.
55' TAPERED ALUMINUM MAST, BOOM AND MAIN FROM 440 LAGOON
VOLVO 120 WITH CUSTOM SONIC TYPE LEG
LOTS OF MISC.GEAR.
LONG STORY... STORED IN SANTA ROSA, ALMOST READY TO MOVE TOTO THE WATER.

0116F16E-B517-4FB0-BB57-3DE14D6D96C3.jpeg

10 hours ago, toddster said:

Halloween Special.  Looks spooky.  Hard to mock, since he doesn't want anything for it.  If You Dare!

00I0I_1SjRPvwmUgA_1200x900.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/vancouver-sailboat-for-1-dollar/7006667461.html

Looks like someone partook too much before acquiring.

I commend the large selection of masts collected on the top, but I question that they will take the skills of a Bergstrom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%26R_rig) to get them to stay in column.   

The rig would be the limpest noodle ever erected....

- Stumbling

7 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

the limpest noodle ever erected....

- Stumbling

I believe that would be VWAP.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, Israel Hands said:

Oh my God.  Is that bird shit everywhere?

According to the link, it sold! 

The 300lbs of guano is worth more than the boat.

Hey, I found a bird nest! 

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-28ft-windelectric-powered/6993327577.html

I didn't know those wind generators went on the top of the mast?:o Some down home enviro-wiring-naval engineering to bring sailboats into the Tesla age...The combustables on the heater are a nice touch...is that a tissue dispenser glued on??

00Q0Q_3ud8nAFpRjJ_600x450.jpg

2 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Hey, I found a bird nest! 

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-28ft-windelectric-powered/6993327577.html

I didn't know those wind generators went on the top of the mast?:o Some down home enviro-wiring-naval engineering to bring sailboats into the Tesla age...The combustables on the heater are a nice touch...is that a tissue dispenser glued on??

Sure that's not RC airplane assist?

4 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Sure that's not RC airplane assist?

I think it's an early sign of steampunk affliction...

On the bright side - at least he did all that to a boat that was a POS the day it was launched.

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Genius!  It eliminates the redundancy of a masthead anemometer and windex, plus it keeps the birds off the masthead.  Wind resource is much better up high.  I can't think of a single downside!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, socalrider said:

Genius!  It eliminates the redundancy of a masthead anemometer and windex, plus it keeps the birds off the masthead.  Wind resource is much better up high.  I can't think of a single downside!  

It is a float to keep you from turtling.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jzk said:

It is a float to keep you from turtling.  

Whereas the rest of the boat is a turtle to keep you from floating!

• Like 2

I bet it generates electricity when the boat is wallowing. This is a breakthrough...

24 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I bet it generates electricity when the boat is wallowing. This is a breakthrough...

There was a 'breakthrough, disruptive' (vaporware) power generating idea some years ago that would use the motion of the boat to generate DCV & charge your batteries. Description was mostly Magic Black Box, though it seemed to use sliding weights or pendulums under your settees to make power. I actually burned some number of life-hours calculating just how much energy you could hope for from such a device, under 'optimal' conditions (which conditions would make Webb Chiles puke his kidneys out), and the results were laughable. Something like 1/20th kWh/day. 

Love me some renewable energy, lived it for 16 years now, but my god is it a playground for dreamers, schemers, and scammers. :(

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Love me some renewable energy, lived it for 16 years now, but my god is it a playground for dreamers, schemers, and scammers. :(

Like our Government.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:58 PM, takudave said:

Mocking Ads on Craigslist
Sailing Partners Wanted - Be Part of the Adventure - $20000
You must really be getting bored in life hitting rock bottom nothing left to mock,  new update THE LABORA is sailing down the Atlantic European Coast for the summer on its way to North East Brazil,

https://www.libertyinternationalsailing.club/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LibertySailing/

DSCF4576.jpg

73395377_10219054055874843_8428311970469380096_n.jpg

DSCF4580-copy.jpg

Crossing oceans on a Baltic Trader full of hippies? :blink:

Maybe 45 years ago.

Maybe.

Boat looks in good shape.

Falls Creek?

Must be owned by an out of towner.

Everything on board seems to be in French. It looks like "Gabrielle" carved into the liquor cabinet top right. Did a nice job, but that's a lot of coin for a Cal 29. 

00Q0Q_QXgVdJqtis_1200x900.jpg

On 10/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Israel Hands said:

Oh my God.  Is that bird shit everywhere?

According to the link, it sold! 

This is my new boat, S.V. Guano.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

All I can say is wow, they did a nice job to sell this. No mock but the price might be too rich.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-cal-29/7008452415.html

Wine glasses, guitar, pillows. Where is Inspector Clouseau?

image.png.12f5b6e634fc0ecdc7287a13f3fcbfa4.png

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Everything on board seems to be in French. It looks like "Gabrielle" carved into the liquor cabinet top right. Did a nice job, but that's a lot of coin for a Cal 29. 

00Q0Q_QXgVdJqtis_1200x900.jpg

First time I have ever seen a chaise longue ---- also known as a seductomatic in english....on a boat...... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Wine glasses, guitar, pillows. 

That's a ukelele -- which tends to a very different sort of seduction. 

Guitar: "Por vous, mon amour ... c'est Corcovado."

Ukelele: "Hey -- you know the words to Tiptoe thru the Tulips?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Wine glasses, guitar, pillows. 

That's a ukelele -- which tends to a very different sort of seduction. 

Guitar: "Por vous, mon amour ... c'est Corcovado."

Ukelele: "Hey -- you know the words to Tiptoe thru the Tulips?"

Not true nowadays. A lot... a whole lot... of young people think the ukelele is cool. We get uke players coming into the local bar I go to open mic nights. Some of them are really good.

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, takudave said:

DSCF4580-copy.jpg

Holy moley there's a lot of strings on that boat.  

41 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not true nowadays. A lot... a whole lot... of young people think the ukelele is cool. We get uke players coming into the local bar I go to open mic nights. Some of them are really good.

FB- Doug

Yeah, I know. Not judging, just noting the different approach. Brooklyn has ukulele orchestras. Of course they do. They also do theremin quartets.;)

More surprisingly, the top uke orchestra is from Great Britain. Here they cover the Talking Heads:

I have a theory that whatever strange dorky damned thing you are into, there is somewhere another person of your preferred gender/type/species who is also really into that, and probably you can have some sex together. Do you search flea markets for Coca-Cola bottle caps from the 1930s and 40s? Meet Shelly! She mostly adores early 1950s Coke memorabilia, but I bet you two kids have lots to talk about.

Jake is such a legend in Hawaii.  The stuff he can do on the uke is amazing.

Just about a zombie, but it is inhabited. Warning, Bull City, the maid was late. One beauty pic, I am thinking Menzel or Homer....the tape measure being the sole metaphor in the composition.

A lovely old ship to admire, she was built in Oregon as a US survey ship and her lavishness shocked taxpayers in 1912.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/sausalito-85ft-boat/7011804134.html

A short description here.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=s4PdrEwSNRIC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=motor+survey+vessel+suisun&source=bl&ots=o3s_venPJP&sig=ACfU3U2-9dKcGuh3uEYgq2hEaDBOJtwQmw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisosKn68vlAhUVvJ4KHaKuCJAQ6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=motor survey vessel suisun&f=false

00M0M_glIPRgiiy4a_600x450.jpg

7 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Just about a zombie, but it is inhabited. Warning, Bull City, the maid was late. One beauty pic, I am thinking Menzel or Homer....the tape measure being the sole metaphor in the composition.

A lovely old ship to admire, she was built in Oregon as a US survey ship and her lavishness shocked taxpayers in 1912.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/sausalito-85ft-boat/7011804134.html

A short description here.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=s4PdrEwSNRIC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=motor+survey+vessel+suisun&source=bl&ots=o3s_venPJP&sig=ACfU3U2-9dKcGuh3uEYgq2hEaDBOJtwQmw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisosKn68vlAhUVvJ4KHaKuCJAQ6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=motor survey vessel suisun&f=false

00M0M_glIPRgiiy4a_600x450.jpg

Love the listing.

my iPad is not returning email she is in need of a bottom job,not really in good condition

my iPad is not returning email she is in need of a bottom job,not really in good condition

We paint all our devices with Trinidad SR. Just the occasional scrubbing is required.  Almost eliminates facebook barnacles & we only get a bit of slime around the camera apertures. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:49 PM, Diarmuid said:

I have a theory that whatever strange dorky damned thing you are into, there is somewhere another person of your preferred gender/type/species who is also really into that, and probably you can have some sex together. Do you search flea markets for Coca-Cola bottle caps from the 1930s and 40s? Meet Shelly! She mostly adores early 1950s Coke memorabilia, but I bet you two kids have lots to talk about.

I submit for supporting evidence:

1 hour ago, The Lucky One said:

I submit for supporting evidence:

Black 47! Known them for years. Bowery stage Irish post punk hot mess. With Strummer gone and Shane McGowen forever off his gimbals, they are an option. Tho Dropkick Murphys are more fun.

• Like 2

Tend more towards the Barleyjuice end of spectrum, myself... but Dropkick's "Green Fields of France" leaves me blubbering mess every time. They've got some good stuff.

3 minutes ago, The Lucky One said:

Tend more towards the Barleyjuice end of spectrum, myself... but Dropkick's "Green Fields of France" leaves me blubbering mess every time. They've got some good stuff.

Hrm. Will check them out!

16 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

I think that should be in cool boats,  a waterborne GMC motorhome.

Reminds me of this gem.  

I am not sure if this has been posted, further, I am not sure what this is.  There seems to be such a collection of nice work, and horrible, non-nautical furnishings.  A really different craft 

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/boa/d/tarpon-springs-beautiful-80-sailboat/6985135294.html

0641B3AA-80C3-4C13-AA9D-5A72210C25F3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

My second entry.  Not my idea of a nice looking craft but the price is right

In the spirit of ugly, free monstrosities,  here is my recent find. :D  Honestly, though, I'm not sure free is enough.  They may have to pay someone to haul that thing away.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/winters-home-built-wood-trimaran-center/7009743525.html

fullsizeoutput_ce7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

I am not sure if this has been posted, further, I am not sure what this is.  There seems to be such a collection of nice work, and horrible, non-nautical furnishings.  A really different craft 

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/boa/d/tarpon-springs-beautiful-80-sailboat/6985135294.html

Unique rigging concept.

00606_eVmhQPNHao6_1200x900.jpg

57 minutes ago, Winston29 said:

In the spirit of ugly, free monstrosities,  here is my recent find. :D  Honestly, though, I'm not sure free is enough.  They may have to pay someone to haul that thing away.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/winters-home-built-wood-trimaran-center/7009743525.html

fullsizeoutput_ce7.jpeg

YOU WIN!  That is an insult to watercraft kind.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Unique rigging concept.

00606_eVmhQPNHao6_1200x900.jpg

Anchor looks undersized for an 80 footer, and isn't that one of those useless 'navy' designs? 

I submit another Uke player, James Hill, who presently lives in Nova Scotia.  If you just want to hear the tune skip ahead to 3:20 or so, but I think it is worth listening the the whole thing...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Winston29 said:

fullsizeoutput_ce7.jpeg

Well, he wants to give away FREE! and will even deliver it. I wonder about the registration numbers, is a "WN" number valid anywhere?

"small amount of rot" oh yeah. Calling this thing an ugly-ass abortion would be doing a grave injustice to aesthetically displeasing hindparts of the pre-terminated throughout all history.

- DSK

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, he wants to give away FREE! and will even deliver it. I wonder about the registration numbers, is a "WN" number valid anywhere?

"small amount of rot" oh yeah. Calling this thing an ugly-ass abortion would be doing a grave injustice to aesthetically displeasing hindparts of the pre-terminated throughout all history.

- DSK

That's a Washington number.

It's a sad boat.

01212_5tE5zyPhXzs_1200x900.jpg

7 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

That boom... does not look right.  

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Anchor looks undersized for an 80 footer, and isn't that one of those useless 'navy' designs? 

The ad specifies a 200lb anchor, a 750lb anchor, and a 1200lb "hurricane anchor".  

So no, I'd say not undersized for an 80 footer.  We can cross "insufficient anchor mass" off the list of things to be concerned about.  

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It's a sad boat.

Aww, c'mon - all it needs is some scattered rot fixed and a pair of Hobie 16 hulls for amas and you'd really have sumpin.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Aww, c'mon - all it needs is some scattered rot fixed and a pair of Hobie 16 hulls for amas and you'd really have sumpin.

No, you'd have sumpin' the morning you woke up and decided you wanted it... you'd have a brain disorder

- DSK

6 hours ago, socalrider said:

The ad specifies a 200lb anchor, a 750lb anchor, and a 1200lb "hurricane anchor".  

So no, I'd say not undersized for an 80 footer.  We can cross "insufficient anchor mass" off the list of things to be concerned about.  

Wow, a 500kg anchor !!

What about??

solid steel and it has stainless steel hand and rub rails throughout. This sailboat will outlive us all.

25 minutes ago, sparau said:

Wow, a 500kg anchor !!

What about??

solid steel and it has stainless steel hand and rub rails throughout. This sailboat will outlive us all.

So will Chernobyl. Doesn't mean I want spend any time next, nigh or near it.

Speaking of large catamarans built on the beach of Alemeda, this one has an impressive display of gauges. Not sure the winches mount there but less likely to be stolen.https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-project-boat/7008113917.html

00X0X_OumbJUbXCN_600x450.jpg

I bring you more art, this one a Salvador Dali inspired CL composition. Note the perfect perspective for the wide angle lens to capture the wave of the sheer and the angle of the helm station. https://slo.craigslist.org/boa/d/morro-bay-38-bruce-robert-design-steel/6996039164.html

19 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I bring you more art, this one a Salvador Dali inspired CL composition. Note the perfect perspective for the wide angle lens to capture the wave of the sheer and the angle of the helm station. https://slo.craigslist.org/boa/d/morro-bay-38-bruce-robert-design-steel/6996039164.html

That link takes you to this:

01717_4q74HmsvvMS_1200x900.jpg

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's a sad boat.

And all this time, I thought Washington state was abbrev'd. WA

"Sad" is just the beginning!

FB- Doug

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

And all this time, I thought Washington state was abbrev'd. WA

"Sad" is just the beginning!

FB- Doug

It is WA, but registration numbers use WN for some reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That link takes you to this:

01717_4q74HmsvvMS_1200x900.jpg

That is a winner for the longest shop vac hose. No shortage of cleats on that dock. Good idea to do a cleat warning strip.

11 hours ago, socalrider said:

That rusty bitch on the bow roller don't look like any of those, not even the 200 pounder. Looks like maybe a 40# navy with paint instead of galvanizing. 

15 hours ago, Salazar said:

I submit another Uke player, James Hill, who presently lives in Nova Scotia.  If you just want to hear the tune skip ahead to 3:20 or so, but I think it is worth listening the the whole thing...

I came across this video about a year ago, and it blew me away.  Not much of a singer, but that boy's got chops.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Looks like it was left out in the sun too long. 

00t0t_ffUh1IOgZJC_600x450.jpg

Another Dali boat.

Dali Boat.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:37 AM, Marcjsmith said:

Reminds me of this gem.  

Not gonna lie, that was pretty cool.  :D

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

That is a winner for the longest shop vac hose. No shortage of cleats on that dock. Good idea to do a cleat warning strip.

Stick in a few more cleats and you've got a bull rail.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, Ishmael said:

It's a sad boat.

If I've ever seen a boat saying "kill me Billy", it's that right there.

• Like 1