blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

They're such a good-looking couple, doncha think? If this doesn't pan out, maybe they should go into marketing..... oh wait, this -IS- marketing....

FB- Doug

And like so much of marketing, this one seems to be a lot about the legs and hair 

• Like 1

Took a look at their Instagram. Apparently this "new age" couple have been globally freeloading for years. On OPM no doubt. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, Veeger said:

Built with love, skill and a lot of dollars,  thus making it another in a long line of boating/life tragedies.  The only thing missing was an understanding of boat design and the consequences of modifications.....

The detail work in those photos is intricate and well done. I believe the 20,000hrs claim.  And completely wasted by overloading everything onto a 31' footer. 

And b/c everything is pristine, it won't even attract the tinkerers looking for a project. I'm sure it sails like shit, so that rules out people who want to sail.  At best, it would appeal to a live-aboard, but they don't have money.  I bet you this never sells, like ever.

Someone took this photo of a boat they are considering.  I have no idea of who is selling her it.  Enjoy

20200122_123927_resized_1_89ecd2f9c6ebb8.

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Someone took this photo of a boat they are considering.  I have no idea of who is selling her it.  Enjoy

20200122_123927_resized_1_89ecd2f9c6ebb8.

It's nice that they built in those pads for the hull to rest on. No worries about adjusting the jackstands. Why didn't they just give it a set of fiberglass legs?

Those are expensive looking props to be on such a joke of a hull.

FB- Doug

It looks like some sort of weird, badly executed transom extension to me.

Look at the position of the trim tabs.

• Like 1

Dear holy.  I have to say I’m a sailor by inclination but powerboater by profession.   This is just..... I dunno.  It such a confusing mishmash of angles and extensions it just boggles the mind as to what the goal was. It’s such a mess I’m a little morbidly curious to see what the thing looks like above the waterline.  If this is any indication then I’m sure it’s a beaut.

p.s.  The prop nuts are on backwards 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It looks like some sort of weird, badly executed transom extension to me.

Look at the position of the trim tabs.

Agreed with the after the fact transom extension.

But look at those prop "pockets". What would they gain you in draft reduction? My guess is that at some point after initial launch they wanted to fit bigger props and just gouged out the pitiful pockets you see here. Looks like a real hack job, an expensive hack job, but a hack job all around.

• Like 1

20200122_123927_resized_1_89ecd2f9c6ebb8

As I understand it Carver (of course) wanted to stretch and and add a cockpit to their 395.  Lots of boats have been stretched and often it makes them a better boat.

Not in the Carver 444's case.  No.  

Committee member #1 says 'let's make it strong with lots of beefy stringers', which they did.  He assumed the builder would keep them all inside of the boat.  They didn't.

Member #2 said let's maintain the semi planing hull form and they did, till they didn't.

Member #3 said let's make the extension with displacement hull geometry which got confused with stealth fighter geometry by the young intern operating the fax machine.

Member #4 which owned stocks in fuel & oil and bottom paint businesses had a spontaneous orgasm.

Member #5 resigned he was informed he would have to sea trial it in a following sea. 

And that, bouys and gulls, is how sausage is made.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:44 PM, Israel Hands said:

Here is a CL boat ad of a different sort.  Mockworthy because they don't just go ahead and say "for free"

Looking for a liveaboard sailboat "family of 4" - $3000

length overall (LOA): 35
propulsion type: sail

Hello! We're looking for a liveaboard sailboat to have a place to create & write children's books about the sea and incorporate the trash/plastic we are creating. We need to be out on the water to make this a reality. We have lived aboard before and know the labor of love this type of lifestyle takes.

- Any size from 30-40ft could possibly work. It just needs to be functional
- we aren't afraid of a project, it just can't be a big undertaking
- Ideally Bluewater capable
Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

A link to see who we are https://www.instagram.com/raisinghavik/

Thank you!

What's that officers? Annoying whiny family? Last seen here on beach? Nah, no haven't seen anyone like that. Yeah, I'm sure. Okay, I see anyone like that I be sure to call. You boys have a nice day too now.

image.thumb.png.5115de452224ea86b9b98554ec9024bd.png

3 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

What's that officers? Annoying whiny family? Last seen here on beach? Nah, no haven't seen anyone like that. Yeah, I'm sure. Okay, I see anyone like that I be sure to call. You boys have a nice day too now.

image.thumb.png.5115de452224ea86b9b98554ec9024bd.png

Here they are!

article-2597436-1CD795AF00000578-790_634

No, wait -- wrong whiny annoying family.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Israel Hands said:

Here is a CL boat ad of a different sort.  Mockworthy because they don't just go ahead and say "for free"

Looking for a liveaboard sailboat "family of 4" - $3000

length overall (LOA): 35
propulsion type: sail

Hello! We're looking for a liveaboard sailboat to have a place to create & write children's books about the sea and incorporate the trash/plastic we are creating. We need to be out on the water to make this a reality. We have lived aboard before and know the labor of love this type of lifestyle takes.

- Any size from 30-40ft could possibly work. It just needs to be functional
- we aren't afraid of a project, it just can't be a big undertaking
- Ideally Bluewater capable
Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

A link to see who we are https://www.instagram.com/raisinghavik/

Thank you!

I wonder what they'll call their YouTube channel. 

That looks like Justin Trudeau is looking to make a major life change.

Maybe if he tried the blackface thing like Trudeau the SJWs would chip in.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I wonder what they'll call their YouTube channel. 

Breast Fed?   That instagram feed has lots of "bewbs".

16 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

not sure if the price or the boat mock worthy.   every single photos is a close up one one feature or another  except for a couple far away blurry shots of the entire boat.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/boa/d/washington-sabre-285-sail-boat/7062516864.html

WTF is up with those pics? The cheap-ass plastic "wincher" non-self-tailing gizmo on the winch? The voltmeter? It's a nice voltmeter but it's not worth $12k

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

WTF is up with those pics? The cheap-ass plastic "wincher" non-self-tailing gizmo on the winch? The voltmeter? It's a nice voltmeter but it's not worth $12k

FB- Doug

That's what happens when you have a friend who is an amateur photography expert "shoot" your boat for the ad and you realize too late after you get home that he knows nothing about boats and almost as little about photography. 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

It when the accessories are more compelling to the amateur’s eye than the boat.  

A sign to run away from this jewel....

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

That seems to happen a lot with inland "big" boats.

Some of the stuff advertised on Okanagan or Kootenay lakes is just laughable. I think the cost of getting them there plays an outsized role in subsequent pricing.

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

This guy originally listed his boat for 55K, more then just a little ridiculous. It sat for a long time.

Now its listed for less then half but still overpriced in my opinion. 

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/84446

37 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That seems to happen a lot with inland "big" boats.

Some of the stuff advertised on Okanagan or Kootenay lakes is just laughable. I think the cost of getting them there plays an outsized role in subsequent pricing.

It does have a wheel! :o

8 hours ago, bmiller said:

This guy originally listed his boat for 55K, more then just a little ridiculous. It sat for a long time.

that is a lot of money for that boat.  But I do admire the half-assed attempt to "stage" the interior with the two plates and cups.  I especially like the jaunty placement of the napkins.  How inviting! 

42 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

that is a lot of money for that boat.  But I do admire the half-assed attempt to "stage" the interior with the two plates and cups.  I especially like the jaunty placement of the napkins.  How inviting! 

What’s up (literally) with the toilet paper holder placement? Have we discovered Spider Man’s yacht?

58 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

What’s up (literally) with the toilet paper holder placement? Have we discovered Spider Man’s yacht?

I know the answer to that one. It involves having a woman on board and a shower in the head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Another case af please haul my trash away and give me some money while you're at it.

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/watkins-sailboat/7061827826.html

00x0x_kUjSO1jG0vd_1200x900.jpg

OK, best offer...How much will you pay me to cut it up, haul it off and put it in your nearest dumpster.

Did I mention expenses?

I think someone is going to have a long wait for a rude awakening.

https://sunshine.craigslist.org/boa/d/halfmoon-bay-30-fin-keel-sloop/7077366250.html

image.png.cae4b5a343f204e50d688b9503a35fc4.png

There is a spare hull available locally to any prospective purchaser - I'm sure it could be had cheap.

cement2.jpg

You'd think that with all the money that's been spent on it over the past 40 years or so that they could have put a couple of ports in that cabin top.

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

https://sunshine.craigslist.org/boa/d/halfmoon-bay-30-fin-keel-sloop/7077366250.html

There is a spare hull available locally to any prospective purchaser - I'm sure it could be had cheap.

cement2.jpg

You'd think that with all the money that's been spent on it over the past 40 years or so that they could have put a couple of ports in that cabin top.

That's just sad.  How many 40+ year old 30 footers, regardless of condition, could command that price?  And a cement boat on top of that?  With no portlights?!?! Puhlease.  This may be one of those "but honey, I did list the boat for sale" ads.  

But regardless of his knowledge of the used boat market, I am now wondering more about the no portlights thing; what could have possessed someone to make that decision?  Was he that afraid of leaks?  It just looks.... weird.

• Like 1

At least they rolled it to starboard to dump the water that was on the aft port cockpit.

00202_aNN05WrwkoI_1200x900.jpg

On 2/6/2020 at 9:06 AM, bmiller said:

That cape dory 27 needs to be cut in half again.....$12.5 is still no bargain...

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

cement2.jpg

Hey, the ad says it is 'Farro' cement, so its edible, too!

7015s244_organic_farro_f.thumb.jpg.bc7b8806ace92dd0daf811cfa06ca23c.jpg

Irrelevant but possibly interesting:

”Red Mill” is “Moulin Rouge” in French.

Red Mill Bob may be having more fun in there than he is generally given credit for (:-)

9 hours ago, slap said:

I get the impression that the boat was on a trailer, but the trailer was worth more than the boat so the boat was left behind.

Too my eye, it looks like it came off the trailer unexpectedly.  With the scrapes and the busted rudder shaft.  overall, What A Mess!

1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

Too my eye, it looks like it came off the trailer unexpectedly.  With the scrapes and the busted rudder shaft.  overall, What A Mess!

The interior is just as warm and inviting. Just the place to relax after a hard day pounding on the rocks.

00l0l_aHCGXITjScj_1200x900.jpg

Consider that a Columbia 22 runs little more than a grand in sailing condition I think he's got a no sale situation.

9 hours ago, Santana20AE said:
19 hours ago, slap said:

I get the impression that the boat was on a trailer, but the trailer was worth more than the boat so the boat was left behind.

Well, for many people, even if they're working at snatching the trailer out from under the boat, it could happen unexpectedly.

FB- Doug

10 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

It may have been moving down the highway when it came off.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

no sure if this a mocking craigslist ad or an ugly dodger candidate.  but what should be a santana 2023  is something entirely different....

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/mayo-wd-schock-sail-boatmotor-trailer/7076678575.html

00z0z_7wBogJyeiNP_600x450.jpg00y0y_395Im35BlVV_1200x900.jpg00101_gcoMAx0zQBG_1200x900.jpg

At first glance, I thought the first picture just showed a pop top with fabric sides.  But no.  Oh my.

Just now, Hukilau said:

At first glance, I thought the first picture just showed a pop top with fabric sides.  But no.  Oh my.

nice wainscotting,  amirite.  wheres the boom.  and not sure what up with the custom 30' mast... or that tabernacle/mast step.  thats NQR material there

I think I'd pass on the "slip at a sailors dock".

The humiliation would be too great.

2 hours ago, chester said:

and is that a bimini on the top of the "permanent poptop"?

Yeah I think so...

5 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

no sure if this a mocking craigslist ad or an ugly dodger candidate.  but what should be a santana 2023  is something entirely different....

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/mayo-wd-schock-sail-boatmotor-trailer/7076678575.html

00z0z_7wBogJyeiNP_600x450.jpg00y0y_395Im35BlVV_1200x900.jpg00101_gcoMAx0zQBG_1200x900.jpg

Why do these (off their meds)  boat customizes Always, Always pick on the Santana 23.  Why not a J-Boat, heck, the McGregor Power Sailor would be a PERFECT boat to make even....(insert the adjective of your choice).   

And to add insult to injury (to the boat no less) They want YOU to pay them money for their destructive desires.  

4 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Why do these (off their meds)  boat customizes Always, Always pick on the Santana 23.  Why not a J-Boat, heck, the McGregor Power Sailor would be a PERFECT boat to make even....(insert the adjective of your choice).   

And to add insult to injury (to the boat no less) They want YOU to pay them money for their destructive desires.  

Looks like that one could be fairly easily corrected - remove the pop top, remove that horrible structure, reinstall the pop top.

Presto, changeo - back to stock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddster said:

Looks enough like a dumpster, maybe you could just weld a lid onto it?  Except 22 tons... Might be tough to tip at the dump. 

01111_6ZmfTXM7W47_600x450.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/beavercreek-steel-boatwhite-detroit/7065547831.html

I'm guessing a couple of different people had a go at this one.  Now it has to go...

00y0y_9lerd5XiZt3_600x450.jpg

22 tons of scrap steel has a fair bit of value - probably $4 or $5K at $0.10/Lb.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

22 tons of scrap steel has a fair bit of value - probably $4 or $5K at $0.10/Lb.

Yeah but at 42 feet long and 22 tons, gonna cost more to haul it away...

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like that one could be fairly easily corrected - remove the pop top, remove that horrible structure, reinstall the pop top.

Presto, changeo - back to stock.

And you have some nice pine paneling left over.

This is not a particularly good boat for this kind of conversion anyway. It's like putting a pilothouse on a 1/4 Tonner

FB- Doug

10 hours ago, toddster said:

Looks enough like a dumpster, maybe you could just weld a lid onto it?  Except 22 tons... Might be tough to tip at the dump. 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/beavercreek-steel-boatwhite-detroit/7065547831.html

I'm guessing a couple of different people had a go at this one.  Now it has to go...

I’ll give them credit.  At least they say it is for Salvage.  (Instead of the usual mantra, restore with minor repairs) 

I dunno about that.

It looks 85% complete to me.

17 hours ago, toddster said:

What?!?  No pictures of the interior?!?  Pass.

20m Aluminum Catamaran Ferry built in survey by government in 1988 Brisbane Expo. It is now in the process of being converted to passage making houseboat - uncompleted project.

Excellent. Count me out!

On 2/19/2020 at 11:23 AM, Marcjsmith said:

An inclinometer is a definitive sign of a scaredy cat pussy.  An unfortunate, unworthy cunt.

Which leads me to ask.  If said cunt is afraid of heeling why did they put all that gross tonnage up there?  To do jumping jacks?

I am an off road snob and this inclinometer wisdom goes for Jeeps and other off road vehicles too.  If you can't feel it, fuck off.

There, I feel better.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:02 PM, toddster said:

I like it.  It's honest.  And heavy.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

I like it.  It's honest.  And heavy.

It would be a great mooring in water deep enough you wouldn't ground on it.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:48 PM, bmiller said:

Another case af please haul my trash away and give me some money while you're at it.

restore with minor repairs.

wonder what major would be ?

On 2/21/2020 at 1:17 PM, SloopJonB said:

$95K?

AYFKM

You're not seeing the bigger picture here, it was built to survey so it will pay for itself...

Holy crap, at least it looks like someone didn't waste too much time on it, just drop a ?caravan  ? bus ?? train carriage?? school building ?? onto the already made hulls.

I think this image best shows the mental process.  I have this and I have that, just combine and add water.  What could possibly go wrong???

c6b85xeusa3fjttsm3xpzrvqs.jpg?pxc_method

12 hours ago, Autonomous said:

An inclinometer is a definitive sign of a scaredy cat pussy.  An unfortunate, unworthy cunt.

It's a sign of a finely tuned performance.

My old Quarter Pounder sailed best at 17 degrees of heel. This was found after much experimenting.

If you can "feel" 17 degrees you're a better sailor than me.

1 hour ago, Therapy said:

I feel..............like an ex-sailor.

I'm sure we can find one for you. Will you pay shipping?

On 2/22/2020 at 9:32 AM, SloopJonB said:

It's a sign of a finely tuned performance.

My old Quarter Pounder sailed best at 17 degrees of heel. This was found after much experimenting.

If you can "feel" 17 degrees you're a better sailor than me.

I may have exaggerated a bit to add a dramatic flair.  On the other hand I don't think that Max Headroom boat has any polar diagrams stowed away in steerage.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:58 AM, SloopJonB said:

cement2.jpg

Is that hull still there? It's been there since Don Malcolm had the joint! Who the hell paid the storage for so long.

And yup - the owner of Puck are on good drugs it seems.

It's still there. Chris owned it until he died and Jonny inherited it so no storage charges, just forgone income from the space it occupies.

Jonny is planning to turn it into a reef off his Gambier property I think.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's still there. Chris owned it until he died and Jonny inherited it so no storage charges, just forgone income from the space it occupies.

Jonny is planning to turn it into a reef off his Gambier property I think.

Thanks for that SJB. I see the old Sky One Hundred is still up there for sale.  

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Directly below the mockable example https://sunshine.craigslist.org/boa/d/halfmoon-bay-30-fin-keel-sloop/7077366250.html

Is this nice boat. https://sunshine.craigslist.org/boa/d/north-island-ranger-33/7075486500.html

You think the guy selling the ferro boat could take a clue from that.

If he had a clue it would be lonely.

27 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Thanks for that SJB. I see the old Sky One Hundred is still up there for sale.  

Yes - $39K ask. It's a decent homebrew finish but seem solid.

If it had a decent hull finish it would be worth a look but it needs a few hundred hours of long boarding and a paint job to look decent.

38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Yes - $39K ask. It's a decent homebrew finish but seem solid.

If it had a decent hull finish it would be worth a look but it needs a few hundred hours of long boarding and a paint job to look decent.

It was a male mold built in his garage. Long time WVYC member that did the whole offshore experience. I was the paperboy when he was having it built. I raced with his son for many years. I got involved with the present owner for a bit and I got the impression the registry had lapsed and pretty tough to title it. It might be why that's not sold yet.  

Here's an oddity. A 1986 Amel Mango being auctioned on ebay. With 5 days left it's at $30K (reserve not met).  Owner claims new baby interrupted world cruise plans, and refit is 85% complete. ;)  Still, if I were anywhere near Lewes, DE I'd be tempted to check it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Amel-Mango/333520294416?hash=item4da75bd210:g:NYkAAOSwFFVeTWeF

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Here's an oddity. A 1986 Amel Mango being auctioned on ebay. With 5 days left it's at $30K (reserve not met).  Owner claims new baby interrupted world cruise plans, and refit is 85% complete. ;)  Still, if I were anywhere near Lewes, DE I'd be tempted to check it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Amel-Mango/333520294416?hash=item4da75bd210:g:NYkAAOSwFFVeTWeF

s-l1600.jpg

Death trap. Consider yourself fortunate that you're not near Lewes, Delaware:

39515333_deathtrap.png.2260e6b28d9386a64444a66ef60f41c7.png

13 hours ago, Bull City said:

Death trap. Consider yourself fortunate that you're not near Lewes, Delaware:

39515333_deathtrap.png.2260e6b28d9386a64444a66ef60f41c7.png

Doesn't a high center-cockpit offset (ahem) that risk?

42 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Doesn't a high center-cockpit offset (ahem) that risk?

Look at the bones! Run away-y!!!

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Look at the bones! Run away-y!!!

FB- Doug

Y'know, while I'm not in love with the bones, if one were looking to sail away to anywhere and live aboard comfortably, this might not be a bad choice. Not a bad balance of SA/D, displace./length, and comfort ratio.  As Dudley Moore said of Volvos, "Sure, they're boxy, but they're safe."

MANGO 52 (AMEL) photo

• Like 1

Citroen DS of the sea...but that last 15% is a killer.