blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Any time you feel hard done by over your moorage rates, consider this.

Moorage at Quayside marina - $900 (vancouver bc)

length overall (LOA): 30

propulsion type: sail

Boat slip available for long-term lease at Quayside Marina.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-moorage-at-quayside-marina/7087942183.html

1 hour ago, lamorak said:

Here's a beauty - https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/d/mauldin-custom-built-kayak-sailboat/7066081459.html

"It's super easy.  I had never sailed before building this project"

Do we give this gentleman a “10” for ingenuity or a “1” for chicanery?

On 3/5/2020 at 7:07 PM, Santana20AE said:

Do we give this gentleman a “10” for ingenuity or a “1” for chicanery?

that guy has been watching too many Watertribe YouTube videos and made his own on the cheap

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, toddster said:

Now that... is a very stable genius for ya.  

Plastic pipe straps are super handy!

4 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

Something from our erstwhile friend of the Comox mud flats....

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2019-Custom-STEEL-YACHT/SSE-AD-6572563 

https://tinyurl.com/swain26

i-PLHBbgS-1888x1200.jpg

The application seems to have deviated somewhat from what the designer has drawn.  

So BS is still finding suckers.

Think that bow roller will be able to handle the strain of a 26'?

Those protractor chainplates are an interesting touch.

That companionway is dead on center.

bswain26.thumb.png.46c51f9b39609c71655af7f6d3c400fb.png

Too bad that good material and seemingly adequate labor went into an unworthy pit.

That's what I was thinking - seems to have been pretty skillfully built.

Are those strut things going to stay do you suppose?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I was mildly amused to see that none of the struts go to anything more than hull skin. Nice point loading, if they are going to stay.

21 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I was mildly amused to see that none of the struts go to anything more than hull skin. Nice point loading, if they are going to stay.

I bet that is a little structural detail that Brent did not design, looks like they may have been put in to hold the chine in place while the sides were bent upwards into shape.

But I'm sure the answer is, "Steel B strong!!" and it probably is strong enough to take that point load but those struts are going to be PITA to build a cabin around.

I'd be more worried about the rust dribbling out the back of the cockpit, down the transom.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There's something not right about that hull shape, even for a Swain boat. And I'm not talking about the excrescence on the top.

Shame to see perfectly good material end up like that but if the owner thinks they'll get anything at all for that - they're dreaming.

Of course it is in Queensland so who knows - the owner only needs to find *one* sucker...

FKT

Doesn't even look 85% done!

4 hours ago, sculpin said:

-25% IMO.

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
13 hours ago, sculpin said:

-25% IMO.

Oh come on, the hull and the deck are finished... almost.

Isn't that a boat? What d'you want, an egg in your beer?

FB- Doug

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The fact that they are not painted suggests they are temporary.

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

What about the time to get the plasma cutter out, disassemble it and cart it off to the metal recyclers?

I wouldn't take that for free even if delivery to my place was included.

FKT

25 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

What about the time to get the plasma cutter out, disassemble it and cart it off to the metal recyclers?

I wouldn't take that for free even if delivery to my place was included.

FKT

Me neither, for many reasons.

At least steel is biodegradable

FB- Doug

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Hah! Haven't heard that expression in a dog's age.

On 3/5/2020 at 2:48 PM, SloopJonB said:

Any time you feel hard done by over your moorage rates, consider this.

Moorage at Quayside marina - $900 (vancouver bc)

length overall (LOA): 30

propulsion type: sail

Boat slip available for long-term lease at Quayside Marina.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-moorage-at-quayside-marina/7087942183.html

That place is not a marina in the commonly understood sense. The berths are strata-title, and were sold for something over a million bucks. Back when it was built, a friend tried to convince me we should buy one as an investment. Glad I declined. Sounds like one investor is trying to meet their mortgage payments. 

Does anybody know: Is this a common way to finance and build a marina in other parts of the world?

There are some pretty expensive boats sitting there, and I mean sitting. One of them is Hotei, which gets passed around among Vancouver billionaires like a joint at a frosh party.

Now there's a bog brush that would clean Mr. Winter's whole boat in seconds.

00t0t_7OlkrpG9ztl_1200x900.jpg

Yeah.  But... how does it work as the companionway narrows at the bottom? :huh:

I think I need a tee-shirt that says, "Almost cool in a very weird and impractical way."

41 minutes ago, andykane said:

I've also never seen a wooden roll top desk/companionway. That's almost cool in a very weird an impractical way.

00r0r_eJMDrni35NA_600x450.jpg

Wonder where it goes when the real sliders go in?

00505_aImRJw4Q19P_1200x900.jpg

Aside from the obvious mockability, those things define the word tub.

A freakin' San Juan 24 owes them a minute a mile. Not one of Gardens more noteworthy designs.

The motorsailer version makes some sense and is a lot better looking.

image.png.a718bcb69306ba41e71e4a15c124b3a1.png

Well that hull started out as the Chaser 29 before Binliner bought the molds so maybe...

Fast boats - classic Peteron Ganbare shape in 1/2 Tonner size.

Keeriste - he drew that when he was just the new kid taking over the IOR and he's already gone.

Has it really been that long?

5 hours ago, toddster said:

I guess I'll mock the hatchboards, but this might be a pretty decent practically free project boat - depending on what horrors lie behind the styrofoam...

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/d/warren-sailboat/7092862331.html

01414_sUC9gsaHgu_600x450.jpg

Oh, and I'm sure there's something to be made of the name, but I'm dry.  Refugee from the past?

00f0f_a73UvNeqBwW_600x450.jpg

I think time won.

• Like 2

That boat hasn't been fast enough to keep up with time in a long time.

Peterson Chaser 33

4 hours ago, See Level said:

Peterson Chaser 33

Binliner Buccaneer 29

Excellent. I would have had no idea.

From Sailboat Data.  (Window pattern does look more like the BInliner version)

CHASER 29:  The Doug Peterson 1/2 Ton prototype "North Star" was winner of the 1974 Half Ton Worlds, in La Rochelle France. The Chaser 29 production model "Foxy Lady" won the Worlds the following year in Chicago IL. Bayliner bought the tooling at auction, where, with a different deck and coachroof, it became the BUCCANEER 295. These were unauthorized copies, never approved by the designer, Doug Peterson.
Disp. above is from SEAHORSE Mag, 1976 and believed to be more accurate than the the original displacement listed of 7200 lbs.
Thank you to Roy Cundiff and Paul Bishop for their input, corrections and additional information.
Photo ..... credit Dick Foat.

BUCCANEER 295:  Origins with the CHASER 29, a Doug Peterson designed production IOR 1/2 ton racer, but with an entirely different deck and coach roof. Also offered as the BUCCANEER 300 with a fancier interior. 
Later, the company built a similar model called the US 29. When Bayliner ended it's production of sailboats, the molds were passed on to Pearson Yachts where it appeared for a time as the TRITON 30.
Thanks to former Bayliner employee Craig Montague for providing information on this yacht.

40 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

Mockable or cool?

Very cool...fucking cold actually. Needs a dodger. Reminds me of Tryst, a B.C. trimaran  that (if I remember the story) was used for a family circumnavgation but lost a hull when they had almost made it home. I seem to recall pictures of the remaining two hull in the back garden in Victoria or somewhere. They had better get right on those deck repairs on this one...

• Like 1

Is that a colostomy bag hanging there?

35 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that a colostomy bag hanging there?

Sun shower.   Hey - that's a helluva lot more boat than the IC waterway plying mastless cat. 

Yep, just imagine screwing a piece of schmutzed-up plywood to the inside of that deck and saying "good to go."

I've always liked the Horstman tris. Yeah they're not speedsters but I like the combination of buck-rogers futuristic and decent interior. Not sure what the point is of hooking up a sun shower to a porta-potty.... not sure I want to know

FB- Doug

What's the wooden box?

A Victorian water closet setup?

image.png.17a2ddd5aecf5525034e38d53c3bc517.png

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not sure what the point is of hooking up a sun shower to a porta-potty.... not sure I want to know

FB- Doug

bidet???  or just a water source to wash the skidmarks off the bowl...

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep, just imagine screwing a piece of schmutzed-up plywood to the inside of that deck and saying "good to go."

I've always liked the Horstman tris. Yeah they're not speedsters but I like the combination of buck-rogers futuristic and decent interior. Not sure what the point is of hooking up a sun shower to a porta-potty.... not sure I want to know

FB- Doug

Jesus. I thought you were smarter than that.

THERE IS NO MORE TOILET PAPER!!!!

It is a rinse/bidet substitute.  More sanitary too.  

And I thought you got out some.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, toddster said:

Excellent. I would have had no idea.

From Sailboat Data.  (Window pattern does look more like the BInliner version)

CHASER 29:  The Doug Peterson 1/2 Ton prototype "North Star" was winner of the 1974 Half Ton Worlds, in La Rochelle France. The Chaser 29 production model "Foxy Lady" won the Worlds the following year in Chicago IL. Bayliner bought the tooling at auction, where, with a different deck and coachroof, it became the BUCCANEER 295. These were unauthorized copies, never approved by the designer, Doug Peterson.
Disp. above is from SEAHORSE Mag, 1976 and believed to be more accurate than the the original displacement listed of 7200 lbs.
Thank you to Roy Cundiff and Paul Bishop for their input, corrections and additional information.
Photo ..... credit Dick Foat.

BUCCANEER 295:  Origins with the CHASER 29, a Doug Peterson designed production IOR 1/2 ton racer, but with an entirely different deck and coach roof. Also offered as the BUCCANEER 300 with a fancier interior. 
Later, the company built a similar model called the US 29. When Bayliner ended it's production of sailboats, the molds were passed on to Pearson Yachts where it appeared for a time as the TRITON 30.
Thanks to former Bayliner employee Craig Montague for providing information on this yacht.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/chaser-29

I raced on a 29 on a very successful one in our area called "Hortense" VARC boat of the year twice on two different owners. But to be fair the crew was pretty much the same. How do you make a Hore tense? Don't pay her!

There was a Chaser 33 too: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/chaser-33 But there were more of the Buccaneer 335/Binliners around and a bunch of them were at the 3/4 ton World's in Victoria. That was when I first "Poncho" and have been friends since. We were there with our 34 aluminum Mull design as that design had won the worlds 2 more times. Things changed quite a bit with the advent of boats like the first Laurie Davidson "Pendragon" and Bill Buchan's Chance daggerboard design "Sachem". Those boats won the world's going away. After that IOR had to change into something else.    

On 3/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, Diarmuid said:

When 'hard chine' becomes 'receding chin'.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, Pipe Dream said:

Something from our erstwhile friend of the Comox mud flats....

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2019-Custom-STEEL-YACHT/SSE-AD-6572563 

https://tinyurl.com/swain26

i-PLHBbgS-1888x1200.jpg

THE HORROR!

On 3/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, monsoon said:

I think time won.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, toddster said:

I guess I'll mock the hatchboards, but this might be a pretty decent practically free project boat - depending on what horrors lie behind the styrofoam...

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/d/warren-sailboat/7092862331.html

01414_sUC9gsaHgu_600x450.jpg

Oh, and I'm sure there's something to be made of the name, but I'm dry.  Refugee from the past?

00f0f_a73UvNeqBwW_600x450.jpg

In its time when pinched sterns and broad beams and raked bows were all the norm (IOR norm that is), I thought there was something special about the hull shapes of the US branded boats.  Now I know

Wondering if Doug Peterson ever got a penny from the use of his designs?

I would guess only from the few boats that Chaser built.

Second owners of tooling were notorious for not paying royalties.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I would guess only from the few boats that Chaser built.

Second owners of tooling were notorious for not paying royalties.

Sad

Binliner really blew the looks of that boat with that style of port lights.

I've seen a few that had two rectangular ports aft and it looked so much better.

image.png.71c92909a6e608d0ae808e6eda6a0729.png

I don't see the problem - it's only been baking in the Mexican sun for an unknown number of years.

And it says right in the ad that it will only take a weeks work before launching.

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

This ticks off a few boxes.

50 year old teak deck, check

Needs reassembly, check

Seized Yanmar, check

Located in Mexico, check

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/imperial-beach-cheoy-lee-offshore-27/7095160134.html

The only value is in the trailer

I see no value in it anywhere, except that maybe somebody could make some nice small cabinets out of that teak.

The writer of this ad included so many little jollies, "the cabin needs some cosmetic improvements too" ... I bet so.

Best thing about this boat... it's not ferrocement!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

^^^^^ Your ad Israel?   ;-)   I don't think that's teribly mockable - looks like a decent little boat that needs a little attention

5 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

In Rimas range?

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-san-juan-24-sailboat-and/7096353912.html

San Juan 24 sailboat and trailer - $1500 (New Bern, NC)

01515_3zVkeIRd6mx_600x450.jpg

Although duty-bound to mock this boat, I think it's actually not a bad deal. I would double check if it comes with that trailer though.

These boats were built here, it's somewhat of a local classic although there are none in the fleet right now.

Disclaimer... my own boat (well one of 'em) is just out of a couple of the pictures of this one.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

In Rimas range?

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-san-juan-24-sailboat-and/7096353912.html

San Juan 24 sailboat and trailer - $1500 (New Bern, NC)

01515_3zVkeIRd6mx_600x450.jpg

I think mention of Rimas, the inexpensive SJ-24 connection, was Iz's intention... no real mockery

This boat may fall in for some gentle mockery such as being on the wrong coast, and a bit overpriced (OTOH it has won a pretty good number of local events)

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-santa-cruz-27-sailboat-trailer/7096343043.html

is being sold by the same gentleman, and one of my boats -is- in a couple of the pics. I raced on this boat, and against this boat, will be glad if it stays in the local fleet

FB- Doug

20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think mention of Rimas, the inexpensive SJ-24 connection, was Iz's intention... no real mockery

This boat may fall in for some gentle mockery such as being on the wrong coast, and a bit overpriced (OTOH it has won a pretty good number of local events)

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-santa-cruz-27-sailboat-trailer/7096343043.html

is being sold by the same gentleman, and one of my boats -is- in a couple of the pics. I raced on this boat, and against this boat, will be glad if it stays in the local fleet

FB- Doug

Yes Steam, it was just the tie to Rimas. The only thing to mock is maybe the crap underneath her.  I saw the Santa Cruz in the ad too - sweet looking.

A 3'fer, run away as fast and as far as you can!  A friend who I was sailmaking w/ bought SJ24 stripped out from the Clark's, we totally tricked it out, was gray and called Running Dog (or the dog that runs), later raced as Grauer Gueist, it was the fastest boat in the fleet for years, possibly was a little lighter than the standard production boats but of course that was when if I could remember I wasn't there.

40 years ago a local - John Samson, of ferro boat fame - had a brokerage that advertised in Pacific Yachting.

Each issue he ran a page of cruising boats and a crazy editorial, basically "buy one of these boats so you can sail away and survive the coming social collapse"

Really wacky, almost survivalist stuff but entertaining if you laughed.

Was he actually right, just too far ahead of his time? :D

His time was up a few years ago.

55 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

40 years ago a local - John Samson, of ferro boat fame - had a brokerage that advertised in Pacific Yachting.

Each issue he ran a page of cruising boats and a crazy editorial, basically "buy one of these boats so you can sail away and survive the coming social collapse"

Really wacky, almost survivalist stuff but entertaining if you laughed.

Was he actually right, just too far ahead of his time? :D

His time was up a few years ago.

I remember those rants, they used to get published in classifieds mag, Boat Trader (?). He was all about selling your "piece of moose pasture" and skipping to the south Pacific.

This from Amazon, ©1968, 119 pages, that ought to do it:

image.png.32314896d8a41db61838b772b1a339ec.png

Here, without comment, are the three reviews of the aforementioned book.

#1:

I bought this book used about 5 years ago and it is still one of the few I open at least 4 or 5 times a week (it's either in the bathroom or by the living room chair). Samson is, I think, the person who launched the ferrocement sailboat phase which lasted through the 60s and 70s mostly on the west coast and Austraila. He built many boats using two methods which he details in this book with lots of good pictures and very clear, organized explanations of the process.

Many young enthusiastic idealistic people tried building these boats and most came up short, resulting in the bad reputation of ferrocement sailboats, in my opinion. I probably won't build one but my guess is it would be more challenging than building a house. If I did I would do the upside down method he describes toward the end. If you are considering a ferrocement boat or even just working with ferrocement buy this book. You will read it and then go back to it.

#2:

Anyone can build a luxury water craft with ferrocement, steel reinforcement bar, and chicken wire mesh. If you are a low budget do it yourselfer like me, you will love this book. It is thorough teaching not only how to use ferrocement and other construction materials, but teaches marine architecture and how to "loft" plans onto the floor of your work space ensuring a good looking and durable water craft. Get a copy to read when winter comes and cabin fever sets in. It is a book of dreams for the heart of any sailor.

#3:

This book is worth its weight in gold! It was so encouraging to read why a ferro-cement boat is so safe! I'm so glad we have one! And so glad I made the leap and bought this book!

29 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Here, without comment, are the three reviews of the aforementioned book.

#1:

I bought this book used about 5 years ago and it is still one of the few I open at least 4 or 5 times a week (it's either in the bathroom or by the living room chair). Samson is, I think, the person who launched the ferrocement sailboat phase which lasted through the 60s and 70s mostly on the west coast and Austraila. He built many boats using two methods which he details in this book with lots of good pictures and very clear, organized explanations of the process.

Many young enthusiastic idealistic people tried building these boats and most came up short, resulting in the bad reputation of ferrocement sailboats, in my opinion. I probably won't build one but my guess is it would be more challenging than building a house. If I did I would do the upside down method he describes toward the end. If you are considering a ferrocement boat or even just working with ferrocement buy this book. You will read it and then go back to it.

#2:

Anyone can build a luxury water craft with ferrocement, steel reinforcement bar, and chicken wire mesh. If you are a low budget do it yourselfer like me, you will love this book. It is thorough teaching not only how to use ferrocement and other construction materials, but teaches marine architecture and how to "loft" plans onto the floor of your work space ensuring a good looking and durable water craft. Get a copy to read when winter comes and cabin fever sets in. It is a book of dreams for the heart of any sailor.

#3:

This book is worth its weight in gold! It was so encouraging to read why a ferro-cement boat is so safe! I'm so glad we have one! And so glad I made the leap and bought this book!

I have a copy of that book & others on ferro boat construction.

They and a lot of other reference materials convinced me to build a steel boat.

Building a ferro boat is kind of like building a mud brick home, except that after the huge amount of time and effort involved, a mud brick home is actually functional, useful and long-lived.

FKT

• Like 2

I used to love his ads in PY. They were so wacky. That and the rants about the vikings if I recall correctly. I used to work with a very smart N.A. named Max Kim who came to Canada from Korea and used to work for John.

25 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I used to love his ads in PY. They were so wacky. That and the rants about the vikings if I recall correctly. I used to work with a very smart N.A. named Max Kim who came to Canada from Korea and used to work for John.

yup, he had a thing for vikings too.

44 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Chris Deiner who used to own Race Rock was his foreman BITD of ferro. They did a lot of stuff other than sailboats - tried to get a contract for river patrol boats in Vietnam which Chris said almost made it but Uniflite got the nod with their Hetron glass boats. No idea how an inch of ferrocement resists an AK47 but it must be better than a poxy fiberglass hull.

Cheap beach built 3rd world fishing craft was another - that one was probably the best application of the method - for countries with no suitable local materials.

59 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Building a ferro boat is kind of like building a mud brick home, except that after the huge amount of time and effort involved, a mud brick home is actually functional, useful and long-lived.

FKT

Samson's personal boat Storm Strutter must be 50 years old now and has circled the Pacific a few times.

It's still floating somewhere around here.

I've seen the method go from a miracle product that could get you into a 50 footer for pocket change and some unskilled work, all the way to the biggest disaster ever which will kill you if you ever lay eyes on one.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in between - I've seen some ferros that were indistinguishable from glass. Back then a 72' ferro (Helsal) won the S2H. Many have circumnavigated.

However I think the single most apropos comment I ever heard about building one was "Thousands of hours of soul destroying work" referring to tying all the wire when building the armature.

Samson's personal boat Storm Strutter must be 50 years old now and has circled the Pacific a few times.

It's still floating somewhere around here.

I've seen the method go from a miracle product that could get you into a 50 footer for pocket change and some unskilled work, all the way to the biggest disaster ever which will kill you if you ever lay eyes on one.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in between - I've seen some ferros that were indistinguishable from glass. Back then a 72' ferro (Helsal) won the S2H. Many have circumnavigated.

However I think the single most apropos comment I ever heard about building one was "Thousands of hours of soul destroying work" referring to tying all the wire when building the armature.

I've considered buying a ferro boat a few times. Mainly to put in my driveway sunk down to its DWL and use for visitor's accommodation. As long as I paid the derisory annual registration the local Govt (and my neighbours) couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Yes the bigger ones, if well built, are quite long lived. Up until they hit something hard enough for salt water to get to the armature. After that unless the concrete is all needle-gunned or similar off the cracked bit and a proper repair done, it's all downhill. And short of some form of NDT on the entire hull - how can you know?

Personally I avoid anything that is - to quote Bill Tilman - fatiguing and not repaying...

FKT

You obviously never read Samson.

Ferro continues to gain strength forever and it's self healing through some chemical process I never quite understood.

Purple font off.

47 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You obviously never read Samson.

Ferro continues to gain strength forever and it's self healing through some chemical process I never quite understood.

Purple font off.

I've got a copy of Arthur Piver's book on how wonderful his boats are, too. Do you think I should shelve them next to each other? Along with the rest of the fiction?

FKT

Samson wasn't lost at sea on a boat of his own design.

That's a deal killer for me

I'd bin anything by Piver.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I am proud to say this boat will be staying in eastern NC.  Bought by a friend and occasional crew.  Knowing him it will see a lot of miles this summer.  If you see it, go close.  He always has incredible talent aboard.

2 hours ago, GMiller said:
On 3/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, Steam Flyer said:

I am proud to say this boat will be staying in eastern NC.  Bought by a friend and occasional crew.  Knowing him it will see a lot of miles this summer.  If you see it, go close.  He always has incredible talent aboard.

Has racing picked back up on the Pamlico? That's good news. I hope your friend/former crew has a great relationship with SuperBueno!

FB- Doug

Not the SC, the SJ.  Racing is done for the foreseeable future.  Just pulled the plug on our spring series.  Lots of solo sailors out there right now!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:28 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Or like an Earthship. I have known several people who built their homes of rammed earth in car tires. Two actually completed the effort, tho it nearly broke them. Once built, they are ... Okay. Dark, awkwardly laid-out, and tricky to drywall, but they function as living quarters.

One trueism about tire houses or mud brick or cob or strawbale: absolute bitch to resell. Part of that is financing, inspection, insurance. Most of it is the miniscule target market. Anyone who wants to live in a house made of tires wants to ram their own. Kind of goes with the personality profile.

7 hours ago, GMiller said:

Not the SC, the SJ.  Racing is done for the foreseeable future.  Just pulled the plug on our spring series.  Lots of solo sailors out there right now!

Racing sailors should adapt well to social distancing as we have all these rules and formalism about not getting to close to each other. As with the Racing Rules, we now need to establish who has "rights" in the grocery store aisles, for example.

What’s all this complaining about ferro cement boats?

When one gets tired of sailing her..They make great Flower Beds for the Misses.