blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those have to be one of the oddest boats ever built.

The only market I can think of for them is families who have limited funds but absolutely have to be able to get away from the kids when they anchor.

It was a design contest for the shortest LOA center-cockpit with a walk-thru that actually would not fall over on it's side.

4 hours ago, CapnK said:

Huk - LOL!

Doug - They are an interesting design, and are not quite as butt-fargin-ugly as a Chrysler Buccaneer, which I think was trying to do about the same thing as a design concept. Never have sailed on one. I imagine with the topside surface area they have, they sail rather well about the anchor, if nowhere else. ;)

Anyway, you are also right, it's actually almost NMB, not Conway. That's a public dock/landing right on the Ditch; I wonder how long SC DNR will let them leave it there...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°47'24.4"N+78°46'30.3"W/@33.790104,-78.7766264,681m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Nah, the Chrysler Buccaneer is an 18-foot centerboard racing dinghy, rather sleek actually. You're thinking of the Wellcraft Buccaneers, I bet. Pioneers of the wedding-cake look.

That S2 actually didn't sail too badly, all things considered. They're not good going hard on the wind, no surprise. I was expecting it to be a nightmare and went along with a friend largely to be helpful and for laughs. Which we had, in plenty. Skipper was deaf as a post and we ended up going aground because he could not hear me telling him we needed to tack (9 times or so). No damage done though. Then he left the engine running... being deaf ought to be factored into the PHRF rating!

If I needed an inexpensive floating apartment that could fit into a 26' slip, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat. Not -that- one though

FB- Doug

Bayliner (not wellcraft) Buccaneer

I don't know what they were thinking

downloadfile.jpg

alan_payne_buccaneer_240_photo.jpg.7b289103763c8d3a2287ba4a08132116.jpg

Was there ever a desirable fero boat built?

9 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Was there ever a desirable fero boat built?

I've seen a handful over the years.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

If I needed an inexpensive floating apartment that could fit into a 26' slip, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat. Not -that- one though

Do they have two decks or one?

1 hour ago, See Level said:

Bayliner (not wellcraft) Buccaneer

I don't know what they were thinking

Oops, sorry... dunno what I was thinking, definitely two very different things... Binliner explains everything.

Damn those are ugly-ass boats

15 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Do they have two decks or one?

3 I think, actually........ ;)

FB- Doug

Yep - that's right - Bayliner Buccaneer 270 is the one I was thinking of - pic attached.

Funny, because I actually have a US Yachts 18 (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/us-18), which is essentially the Bayliner Buccaneer 18. Picked it up in Fuquay Varina a couple years ago. :) Much better looking boat than the ugly older sister...

post-25646-127169607941.jpg

At first glance this appears incredibly mockable - until you see the builders tag.

Matsumoto shipyards were legendary here for building the best fish boats and they were, I believe, the first to go into aluminium construction.

image.thumb.png.8f2e7647ba5e030c0f0e55d4d2da6da3.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-southwest-aluminum-sail/7099019661.html

I know, I know, it's still mockable - but an interesting bit of history all the same.

9 hours ago, CapnK said:

Yep - that's right - Bayliner Buccaneer 270 is the one I was thinking of - pic attached.

Funny, because I actually have a US Yachts 18 (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/us-18), which is essentially the Bayliner Buccaneer 18. Picked it up in Fuquay Varina a couple years ago. :) Much better looking boat than the ugly older sister...

post-25646-127169607941.jpg

We had a dock neighbor with one of those, I think it may have been a little bigger... seemingly endless row of odd-shaped ports. Nice people but even the dog looked the other way when we walked by.

I've seen those US18s around, looks like it could be a good Everglades Challenge craft.

IMHO the Chrysler Buccaneer is still better looking though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buccaneer_(dinghy)

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

At first glance this appears incredibly mockable - until you see the builders tag.

Matsumoto shipyards were legendary here for building the best fish boats and they were, I believe, the first to go into aluminium construction.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-southwest-aluminum-sail/7099019661.html

I know, I know, it's still mockable - but an interesting bit of history all the same.

i would love to see more of that boat

You better be covered head to toe in Carhartt canvas and leather before you get too close.

Be interesting to test the solution stewing in the bilge.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

You better be covered head to toe in Carhartt canvas and leather before you get too close.

I wouldn't clear that blackberry away if he gave me the boat and $4500.

While it is an ugly lump there is potential there too. A roomy barge to potter from place to place for a retired guy with no need to make fast passages and time to paint a boot stripe

"I'd like to make her look a little more attractive.  How far can you pull back?"

Looking at that crap it's hard to believe that Roberts once designed some nice looking boats.

The builder made a huge difference.

image.png.b938120339012248de76ad2bc0b2a11e.pngimage.png.00cd87e383d97b2c963301eb96f8f937.pngimage.png.3fc47c716dfd1d8ec2ba0947de667461.png

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ad's gone. Owner must be on SA.

3 hours ago, toddster said:

"I'd like to make her look a little more attractive.  How far can you pull back?"

It needs to be this far away:

themoonrockt.jpg

2 minutes ago, slap said:

It needs to be this far away:

themoonrockt.jpg

No, it still doesn't look good from there.  Try this...

536_PIA23645_PaleBlueDotRevisited_1600.j

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Point Jack said:

"Have title on hand." I wonder if it's in Tom's name (the seller). If so, it's odd that he doesn't know the make and model.

Egad! I hope this isn't our Plenipotentiary Tom!

On 3/25/2020 at 12:54 PM, SloopJonB said:

Those have to be one of the oddest boats ever built.

The only market I can think of for them is families who have limited funds but absolutely have to be able to get away from the kids when they anchor.

Arthur Edmonds design.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

"Have title on hand." I wonder if it's in Tom's name (the seller). If so, it's odd that he doesn't know the make and model.

Egad! I hope this isn't our Plenipotentiary Tom!

Springhill is a 100 or so miles away.  I think he has enough projects on his hands.  When Mom & Dad had the house in PigI, I might have considered it,  but not for very long.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

image.png

Mmmmm...chines. 

Some curly fries to go with your curly chines?  spicy-curly-fries-1-andee-photography.jp

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Mmmmm...chines.

Chines,  meh....  I was admiring at the speed dimples below the waterline.

8 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

We used them for our kids windsurfing program on Cape Cod.  They rocked.  We taught over 200 kids each summer.   I organized it with Nevin Sayre, who you guys may know from Fiberspar days.   Dont mock too hard.  It has it's uses.

https://www.americanwindsurfer.com/articles/hatching-windsurfers/

Hatching Windsurfers – American Windsurfer

american_windsurfer_6.5_kids-camp_spread2.jpg

american_windsurfer_6.5_kids-camp_spread3.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/25/2020 at 10:07 PM, SloopJonB said:

Years ago I heard that there was a Thunderbird built out of aluminum, I wonder if that's it?

4 hours ago, See Level said:

Years ago I heard that there was a Thunderbird built out of aluminum, I wonder if that's it?

hmmmm.

Looks plausible.

Anyone got the urge to do a little raiding and don't have the right boat to invite your berserker friends?

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/d/englewood-viking-sail-boat/7099586478.html

00D0D_gZiqdN0iG0C_1200x900.jpg

Your friends will have room for the axes and shields, and a little booty if they are lucky!

Liten raiding kompis...

- Stumbling

• Like 1

I guess he didn't follow her instructions to not buy the boat.

Looks like a ginger...so maybe he escaped. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Doubly lucky. Got rid of non-sailing spouse. Must sell Hunter.

Ha! The guy selling the Hunter might BE the "non-sailing spouse."

FB- Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ha! The guy selling the Hunter might BE the "non-sailing spouse."

FB- Doug

Mea culpa.  My implicit bias is revealed.

• Like 1

I had a Westerly Nimrod that had that kind of furling.  Wonderful.  Fast. Easy. Would recommend. 5 STARS.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Here's a real opportunity. NOS "roller furling" hardware.

Only for end users though - no flippers. :lol:

image.png.3c2ebe9f5b7740a11627200c99e4fd24.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/bpo/d/pitt-meadows-roller-furling-hardware/7102543514.html

I don't think I've ever seen a roller furling gooseneck that slide up and down on a track. But it's very handy that it comes with the track, no guesswork (unless that's not the right track... double check before leaving the store).

Can something that's 50 years old, possibly 60, be called "new old stock"??

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Here's a real opportunity. NOS "roller furling" hardware.

Only for end users though - no flippers. :lol:

image.png.3c2ebe9f5b7740a11627200c99e4fd24.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/bpo/d/pitt-meadows-roller-furling-hardware/7102543514.html

Damn old, old school roller reefing fitting for a boom! (Main sail)

- Stumbling 

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Well, it is roller furling, for the boom. Roller reefing would be a better description.

Exactly.

Piss poor roller reefing would be the best description.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I don't think I've ever seen a roller furling gooseneck that slide up and down on a track. But it's very handy that it comes with the track, no guesswork (unless that's not the right track... double check before leaving the store).

Can something that's 50 years old, possibly 60, be called "new old stock"??

FB- Doug

If it hasn't been used then that's the definition of NOS.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If it hasn't been used then that's the definition of NOS.

Well, sure. And while that's perfectly legal, a more accurate description would be "Never used because it's useless, old as fuck, customers smarter than you have avoided this item for five or more decades, stock"

And it doesn't look like it comes with the original box. Everybody knows that being in the original box makes it valuable.

- DSK

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, sure. And while that's perfectly legal, a more accurate description would be "Never used because it's useless, old as fuck, customers smarter than you have avoided this item for five or more decades, stock"

That's the other definition of NOS. :D

It's kind of implied. If you find a brand new, never used water pump for a 259 Studebaker V8 it's NOS but is it as good as a modern one?

Your comments are the reason I put it in Mocking. The thing is brand new, never used, NOS garbage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The thing is brand new, never used, NOS garbage.

Hmmmm..... if it was mine (and my wife let me) I would attach the gooseneck to the ceiling over the dining table and wire it so light bulb fits inside the furling mechanism.   Very cool light.

Other than that, scrap metal value of about four cents? 

The companionway hatch is not symmetrical!  It'a a death trap, it's a suicide rap!

91204693_934.jpg

And so much more.

12 hours ago, Autonomous said:

The companionway hatch is not symmetrical!  It'a a death trap, it's a suicide rap!

91204693_934.jpg

And so much more.

that maybe but it looks a lot better executed than you expect on a swain.

40 minutes ago, chester said:

that maybe but it looks a lot better executed than you expect on a swain.

I agree, it's a shame someone put all those resources and work into that shit shell.

The askew forward hatch deserves some abuse but I have nothing to offer at this time.

The massive instrument pod (?) somehow reminds me of an Edsel.  

... WTF is that thing, anyway?

The railings are my favourite bit.

It looks to me like someone bought the BS dream, built the boat, roughed in an interior, put in the engine.... then gave up.  I don't see any evidence that boat was ever rigged for sailing. 

A huge amount of time, money and effort to make a bad motorboat that now has zero value.  

42 minutes ago, toddster said:

The massive instrument pod (?) somehow reminds me of an Edsel.  

... WTF is that thing, anyway?

The portlight?

91204698_934.jpg

Yeah, I tried to delete the dumb post, but it appears to hang in the air like a fart in an elevator.

43 minutes ago, toddster said:

Yeah, I tried to delete the dumb post, but it appears to hang in the air like a fart in an elevator.

Best you can do is hide them. Check out "Options" at the bottom of your post.

A very useful phrase. Sort of like "the elephant in the room."

Wait! How about "an elephant fart in an elevator." Wow!

2 hours ago, toddster said:

it appears to hang in the air like a fart in an elevator.

Work "might" take one day. :D

Then again, it "might" take 6 months full time.

Nice little boat though. Never seen a Dehler I didn't like.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

A very useful phrase. Sort of like "the elephant in the room."

Wait! How about "an elephant fart in an elevator." Wow!

3 hours ago, toddster said:

it appears to hang in the air like a fart in an elevator.

Wow

For many years, I have a mental list of people I will not ride in a car with. Now I know a couple of people not to ride in an elevator with

- DSK

20 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

While the boat itself is endlessly mockworthy (and it's front, dead, center in the middle of the harbour), I can't really mock the ad. "I am sending off to scrap metal" - sounds like he knows exactly what he's dealing with. I was actually considering inquiring about that wheelpilot, but figured a) the chances of it working are slim to none, and b) I'd get tetanus just going near it. 

20 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I agree, it's a shame someone put all those resources and work into that shit shell.

The askew forward hatch deserves some abuse but I have nothing to offer at this time.

to be clear, i was only referring to the companionway door!

6 hours ago, chester said:

to be clear, i was only referring to the companionway door!

Got it. Other than the stained glass and the necessary asymmetry it's kind of nice.

I actually wonder if it was a second hand item re shaped for the boat.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Got it. Other than the stained glass and the necessary asymmetry it's kind of nice.

I actually wonder if it was a second hand item re shaped for the boat.

hmmmm, you may be right

8 hours ago, DustyDreamer said:

"But if you buy it before the end of April I'll accept $7,500, as my life plans have changed."

Since that guy in China ate the under-cooked bat whose life plans haven't changed?

Shit - Ozzie ate a raw bat and he got rich & famous.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Shit - Ozzie ate a raw bat and he got rich & famous.

Yeah but do enough drugs and along the way and you acquire some sort of super immunity.

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

17 hours ago, DustyDreamer said:

This is actually kind of interesting.

He seems motivated and could probably be talked down even a little further from his "buy it now" price. The work does seem mostly cosmetic.

I'm curious about the design. Are they garbage? Do they sail well? Fast? Is the design any good for offshore? It looks heavy as hell but also stable. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as a Farrier, but still kind of interesting.

I'm not in the market, just curious about the boat.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Confession: As a certified sucker for lost causes, that was my thought too, but it helps that I know nothing about the design.

Here's some info for the design/plans: http://www.edhorstmanmultihulldesigns.com/triplans/tri36.php

Alas, I don't have a lot of faith in other people's construction skills. And the rigging... oh my.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DustyDreamer said:

Confession: As a certified sucker for lost causes, that was my thought too, but it helps that I know nothing about the design.

Here's some info for the design/plans: http://www.edhorstmanmultihulldesigns.com/triplans/tri36.php

Alas, I don't have a lot of faith in other people's construction skills. And the rigging... oh my.

Very interesting.  Yeah, for me the key question is: Who built this boat?

If it's Joe-Blow in his backyard, no thanks. If it was contracted out to a reputable yard, that's a different story.

41 minutes ago, DustyDreamer said:
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

I actually like the Horstmans more than a lot of other multihulls of the era. Not speedsters but they've got a cool aesthetic vibe, a little steampunk + a little dinosaurian... kinda like

SM-S55X_04w.jpg

but the build quality will always be a huge issue. You'd have to go over it inch by inch for rot pockets, anyway. And you can't generalize, some backyard builders are meticulous, others not so much.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Some of the best boats I've ever seen were home brew.

Also, keep in mind that MacGregors were pro built.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/gig-harbor-thunderbird-sailboat/7105543064.html

An $18,000.00 T-bird! And the price isn't a typo. 

And despite the $50k restoration in 2017:

After two years of sailing there are a few minor repairs to her and some wear. The rudder was hit by the outboard prop and needs some fiberglass work. A fender rubbed the hull at the dock and scratched on the hull where is needs to be touched up with paint. The aft engine well hatches need work. One window has cracked. If you're looking at this vessel, you probably understand that boats need maintenance and repairs. Nothing major and something you can fix yourself.

The owner is in for a hard lesson in economic reality.

If you're going to ask 3 or 4 X market you should at least correct all those "easy fixes" beforehand. People won't mock you quite so harshly that way.

A no rot T-Bird would be a great catch!  So would a price that reflects the market.

19 hours ago, Therapy said:

That offset companionway is real deal killer right?

00x0x_9mzZWg0XQfm_600x450.jpg

The Amas and akas partially compensate for the offset companionway.  

Its just when it goes 180 that it does not matter the amount of offset, you are SOOL...

- Stumbling 

8 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

The Amas and akas partially compensate for the offset companionway.  

Its just when it goes 180 that it does not matter the amount of offset, you are SOOL...

- Stumbling 

That's when you need the basement door.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Some of the best boats I've e