blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

00v0v_ggzXuHq9Hey_1200x900.jpg

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/bellingham-20-motor-trailer-sailer/7123840650.html

Once upon a time this was an O'Day 20 cabin sailer. It has since been heavily modified (inside and out) to create a unique motor-sailer with 6' standing head room. Not much good for up-wind sailing anymore but cozy at anchor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmiller said:

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/bellingham-20-motor-trailer-sailer/7123840650.html

Once upon a time this was an O'Day 20 cabin sailer. It has since been heavily modified (inside and out) to create a unique motor-sailer with 6' standing head room. Not much good for up-wind sailing anymore but cozy at anchor.

It has a tendency to scamper away into the bushes and peep out at you, like a labrador puppy hoping for a chase. So you may have to catch it first.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

00i0i_hdq6QrAclXV_1200x900.jpghttps://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/capitola-jarcat-67/7123832303.html

22' custom coastal cruising cat. Marine ply/West system 1,200 pounds, with 900 lb. trailer. Comfortable cabin w/ queen bunk, galley, nav station. Fresh bottom paint 2020, kick up rudder, daggerboard, 6hp OB, 4 sails, wooden boat show quality.. https://skipallan.com/

love the "galley"  portable propane stove and a 3 gallon water jug... but what could be wrong  its wooden boat show quality...

I think this is a very cool concept, well executed by an experienced sailor.  Yes, it beats to a different drummer, but not mockable at all IMHO...

Cheers!

• Like 1

she ain't pretty but seems well done and purposeful.  the main pic on his website shows it riding bow down, not sure if this signifies a real issue or not.

4 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

00i0i_hdq6QrAclXV_1200x900.jpghttps://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/capitola-jarcat-67/7123832303.html

22' custom coastal cruising cat. Marine ply/West system 1,200 pounds, with 900 lb. trailer. Comfortable cabin w/ queen bunk, galley, nav station. Fresh bottom paint 2020, kick up rudder, daggerboard, 6hp OB, 4 sails, wooden boat show quality.. https://skipallan.com/

love the "galley"  portable propane stove and a 3 gallon water jug... but what could be wrong  its wooden boat show quality...

00S0S_cElpmIOGyvF_600x450.jpg

*Two*  offset companionways.........

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slap said:

Yabbut, thing about cats is, by the time the companionway location becomes an issue, you got bigger issues. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slap said:

One cancels the other out, doesn't it?!

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:
1 hour ago, slap said:

Cheers!

Or doubles it.   

Buy it and let me know......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

I wonder how they came up with the price: $423? Did they just type in a random number, or is there a science to this? something along the lines of "500 is a bit high, so is 450, but 400 is definitely too low. 425 sounds like we thought too much about this, 420 makes this too obvious a joke, so how about 423?"

Must be a total nightmare to sail that thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

I wonder how they came up with the price: $423? Did they just type in a random number, or is there a science to this? something along the lines of "500 is a bit high, so is 450, but 400 is definitely too low. 425 sounds like we thought too much about this, 420 makes this too obvious a joke, so how about 423?"

Must be a total nightmare to sail that thing.

The rigging must be a real shit show. Can you take a reef in the ... structure?

5 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

The rigging must be a real shit show. Can you take a reef in the ... structure?

The structure is the reef?

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

A serious vessel such as this needs some serious components.

Bow pudding

Admiralty anchor.

Sampson post

Tugboat style eyebrow on the house

Roof mounted spotlight

Go cart tires on the rail

Davits

Fire axe

Life rings

Cabin boy

55 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:
2 hours ago, slap said:

Cheers!

Sort of but not quite

This boat was built by a statistics lecturer.

The companionway is dead centre. On average.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

It will be when I'm done with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

That boat was built by the builder and owner of this boat. He had to scuttle it coming back from Hawaii. https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/special-edition-skip-allan-scuttles-wildflower/

I would assume the boat is well built and perfectly suited for the builder. I'd like to know what he is moving to.

2008-09-02_8112_DSC_0168.jpg

2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

It should be left on a reef.

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Sort of but not quite

as long as the companionways are normally distributed

28 minutes ago, chester said:

Schrödinger style?

3 hours ago, chester said:
6 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Sort of but not quite

Kind of a small sample size, doncha think?

- DSK

I can understand the logic behind “bucket and chuckit” but what is the obsession with having a bucket of shit and peat moss at the foot of your berth? 
328426B2-7741-4D80-AF8F-E64BC1A9115E.jpeg.b16b5bacf5b01dda04c9a073f5c34f38.jpeg

2 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

at the foot of your berth? 

Does that mean there's a head at both ends of the berth?

But really in a boat that size you don't have many options and a C-Head can be very inoffensive. 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:31 PM, eric1207 said:

Look what showed up on my buoy late last night!  Not sure its ugly and it is post Craigs List but there's quite a bit to admire.  First the story: 

Long after dark we got an unexpected knock on the door, (no one visits us old folks at night in this dark neighborhood).  Its an old post high school friend of my now 32 year old son.  Haven't seen him in years and wouldn't recognize him at that.  Turns out he'd bought this 1965 Buchan 37 a few weeks ago and has been nursing it north with various travails, including inboard engine failure.  He'd found cheap moorage for the winter nearby but it wouldn't start til Dec 1.  "Say, can I leave this on the buoy for a few days?"   We love our kids and their friends and we're kind old folks who enjoy supporting youthful adventures.  "Sure".   We invited them in for dinner, (they'd been on the water in cold temps for several hours and looked tired).  Some good home made turkey soup should do them good.  Chatted and caught up with him and his accomplice for a while til their friend arrived to pick them up.  I'm left wondering if we'd ever see them again...... oh boy another boat!  Buchan is a house hold name around sailors here and our own Bob P surely knows more about this boat than I.  IIRC it was designed and built by racer Bill Buchan Sr. who is the father of Bill Jr who won Star Gold at the 84 Olympics & who's son Carl also won Gold, in the Finn the same week.  AFAIK its the only father & son to have won golds in the same Olympics.  Nice boat pedigree and cool story. 

Some things to admire:

3 stand (anchor?) line halyards

Outsized bimini, nice for those scorching PNW afternoons

furled, faintly rainbowed foresail

Now for a riddle:  What is the large black wedge that is used to shim the outboard motor bracket?  The innovation and outside the box thinking to have come up with this is truly admirable.  

PJ's_B37_closer.JPG

PJ's_B37_motor_mount_closer_from_side.JPG

PJ's_B37_Mast_&_3_strand_halyards.JPG

What happens sometimes most times.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:51 AM, chester said:

she ain't pretty but seems well done and purposeful.  the main pic on his website shows it riding bow down, not sure if this signifies a real issue or not.

NO.

Fatty  curvy wife taking a nap.  That is all it would take.

Notice the last pic where the water line stripe allows for one to be aft or forward depending?

Hard to believe that this one has been lingering on CL for months...

00y0y_8eeYtYdp5a5_600x450.jpg

My brother has a similar boat that looks better than that... and a tree fell on his.

There is a lot to unpack with this one - may be a relic of a short-statured mad genius, but certainly the add-on poop deck oxygen tent is mockable.  And half of the pictures seem to have been taken in Australia or China, to make it even more exotic..

00707_hp11y8aOnIu_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

Although I must have been holding my laptop upside down on a few occasions. it is amazing how many features (much crap) a mad man can pack into 24 feet. It's a gaff cutter rigged sloop related to the ketch yawl.

Kind of a quirky narrative describing it. Apparently, one person was mad enough to design and build it, and two more were mad enough to buy it. Maintain social distancing from this vessel!

Don't you suspect the dodger and bimini might have greater input on boat propulsion than the many, whimsically-arranged sails do? That looks like one of those boats that would go sideways or backward quite as happily as forward. My cousin had a Classic Moth dinghy like that. Absolutely no preference vis a vis front or back, up or down, left or right. It was like a whisky barrel with sails on.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, Autonomous said:

Schrödinger style?

The cat contains the portal that is both a companionway and not a companionway, until you attempt to open it.

You have two portals to test.   One could be a companionway, both could be or none are companionways at the time you try.

Definitely a vexing option to have on a catamaran...

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, slap said:

Or doubles it.   

Buy it and let me know......

that winch by the sheet bag must be fun to trim

If you need a dingy, there’s this little gem.  Could cross-post to Ugly maybe.... In that case, I admire the genius engineering using the thwart fasteners to attach a cleat...

77E7CA9B-BAB3-4645-A3B2-CE53CD3942A9.jpeg

It's...a box. 

12 minutes ago, Ajax said:

It's...a box. 

Well, yuh, designed to a box rule.

• Like 2

Not to mention the unique feature which protects the keel during an accidental (?) grounding.

Excellent! But they left out the decimal point in the four bucks.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Overall that looks pretty well executed.  I can’t help but note that the pic with a bone in her teeth shows the sails obviously not drawing at all.  I’ve had the dubious pleasure of sailing a riveted aluminum lifeboat (for fun, in protected waters on a calm and sunny day) and I don’t recall “upwind” as being an option, particularly.  Unless they’ve added some appendages, I’d envision here a great time broad reaching in great style and high price

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Overall that looks pretty well executed.  I can’t help but note that the pic with a bone in her teeth shows the sails obviously not drawing at all.  I’ve had the dubious pleasure of sailing a riveted aluminum lifeboat (for fun, in protected waters on a calm and sunny day) and I don’t recall “upwind” as being an option, particularly.  Unless they’ve added some appendages, I’d envision here a great time broad reaching in great style and high price

My reaction to things like that is not as kind as yours.

I always think first of what else (more) I can get for that much money.

In this case that's a lot.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/search/boo?min_price=20000&max_price=25000&boat_propulsion_type=1

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
10 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/search/boo?min_price=20000&max_price=25000&boat_propulsion_type=1

Nice looking boat, looks like a well finished project... but... an aluminum hull likely to bring a bunch of problems including not being shaped like a sailboat

If it had been done as a schooner, with jackyard topsails, I could fall in with it. Easier to balance under sail too, that long gaff & boom are likely to be a PITA.

The price is probably a reflection on the cost being well over twice the ask! Oh well, can't take it with you!

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sorry; I didn’t necessarily intend my comments to come across as praise (this is a mocking thread, after all).  It is pretty well done, but the seller appears to be trying to recoup some of the (considerable, probably) conversion expenses while failing to understand the difference between cost and value.

I don’t particularly get the draw of converting old lifeboats to private use, even considering that initial acquisition would be relatively cheap.  I had a career at sea, and spent a bit of time floating around in them.  They suck.  They’re intended to get the maximum number of people afloat and away from a ship, once, and that’s it.  They fail in every other aspect of being a boat, such as comfort, speed, aesthetics, mechanical durability, etc.  Sea story:  I did an internship on a liquified natural gas tanker.  It was a ball-type (as opposed to later membrane types) and was essentially triple-hulled.  It had an inner and outer hull (ballast tanks in between) and then five separate foam-insulated aluminum spheres.  We had to do a lifeboat still once a quarter that involved lowering, launching, manning, operating, and recovery (the last being the most dangerous, as davit launched lifeboats are not designed to be recovered).  The cargo engineer hated these drills, as he got seasick on small boats even in a flat calm.  His argument was that the ship could break up into five separate pieces and still remain afloat, and he would be safer clinging to one of those pieces than bobbing around in a little open lifeboat.  Hard to argue, as subsequent events in the El Faro proved.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

BEDFABA0-E672-4BEF-9028-7BB5AE0E92F3.thumb.jpeg.a229a1efd2fb4ebc9943e7bcad95d6ff.jpeg

B559EDED-F130-452F-B744-F12AA49E69F7.thumb.jpeg.ef67ec7bb871253293d34358434eaf7f.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Cape-Dory-26-Sailboat/143608225884?hash=item216fb7a05c:g:xxwAAOSw1T1ewYc9

Another abject lesson in “how not to market your boat”.

“We bought a centerboard sailboat instead that sits on the bottom near our house.”

I hate to say it, but somehow, I am not sure I would really enjoy “Doodles” in the same way this fellow “Enjoys” his sailboats.

He might get $50 for the mast from someone who wants a cool flagpole.  

^^ That is a great find! 

I would pay $5 for the propeller.  It would make a nice decoration.  

Good thing the bilge pumps still there,

that thing looks like it's about ready to sink.

00h0h_bktey91o3vh_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

47 minutes ago, See Level said:

Good thing the bilge pumps still there,

that thing looks like it's about ready to sink.

00h0h_bktey91o3vh_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

What's with that distributor? It looks like it comes with a spare hole in case you want to add another cylinder.

38 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

What's with that distributor? It looks like it comes with a spare hole in case you want to add another cylinder.

gives it that nice syncopated rhythm

3 hours ago, luminary said:
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

gives it that nice syncopated rhythm 

Runs in waltz time

I also like the layer of green moss. It would help in case of compass failure, you'd know which was the north side of the engine.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Center tap is the coil, so there's a fourth plug wire socket out of sight behind that. If your distributor is geared correctly, two opposed empty taps are of no account. Unless you stick your finger in one....

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Center tap is the coil, so there's a fourth plug wire socket out of sight behind that. If your distributor is geared correctly, two opposed empty taps are of no account. Unless you stick your finger in one....

Yeah, I figured at least a cork in the empty holes...

19 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Those are for perking one up during a long night’s passage, or recharging your head lamp:

https://giphy.com/gifs/addams-family-lightbulb-uncle-fester-3o6Ztfd4EWmBjVYx3O

- Stumbling 

Not mocking the boat, in fact I really like it. Aside from the pedestal right aft of the companionway, should go back to tiller.

Find all the spelling errors.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/81600

Ranger 29, sailboat and trailer with near new beta marine 3 cylinder deasil 349 hrs, Lighter than original Gas model, Edson wheel, Harkin roller furling , 7 sail
1 new main, new 1 Taffeta,1 145genua 1 new 130 Genoa.1 110 Jib,1 95% jib Drifter and extra Main

Equipment: Sails,2 Mains 1 new 1, 145%Tafeta New, 1, 130% new, 1 110%,1, 95% 1 drifter New sail cover,2 new Lewmar40 2speed wenches, 2 new Handles ,Cascading backstay 24to 1,2 New Endura Brade Halyards lead to cockpit through new roop clutches, New wind speed and tack instrument, Newley rewired mast with wind instrument, Boom Vang, Harken Roller Furling, Edson wheel steering with compass binnacle, spare tiller, Ray Marine wheel piolet, Garman GPS map, Ship bell, Signal horn, spare dock lines, spare jib sheets, Raytheon VHF radio, Contest bulkhead compass,
2 group 27 house batteries,
1group 24 starting battery,
2 automatic battery chargers,
spare filters & belt,
Newley lined fuel tank,
75' 30A p0wer cord,
2 automatic bilge pumps, High level alarm
2 manual bilge pumps
New Gori 2 blade folding Prop
Garhower bearing jib Travelers
boarding ladder
Cabin ventilating fan
Boom Kicker ( no toping lift)
Blower in laserett
28X24 fenders& 26X20 fenders
110V inverter
110V refridgeator
110V microwave
110V single Hot plate
super reinsulated icebox
Stainless steal propane stove
several new Lifejackets,
Winds chute
first aide kit
throwable Horse shew
Rescue sling
throwable cushions
Cockpit cushions
3 life jacket lights
1- 12' extension boot hook
Protective hatch board covers
boat paddle
all LED cabin and running lights
many 110 V & USB Outlets
1 Danforth Ht Anker with 300'rood & 20' chain
1 Danforth Ht Anker 200'rood and 14'chain
2 water tanks
1 Head with disposal tank

Wow, he borrowed the Snaggy Unabridged Dictionary for this ad.

2 speed wenches and a blower in the laserette.  What more do you need?

p.s.  What’s a speed wench?

5 minutes ago, NaClH20 said:

2 speed wenches and a blower in the laserette.  What more do you need?

I need a bit more exact info.

Does he mean two Speed Wenches(tm) or some undefined number (more than one) of 2-speed wenches?

Does the blower really suck?

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Probably easier to list the correctly spelled ones.  Some creative ones fur reel - anker? steal stove? horse shew? And random Capitalization's for The win. 

I see 25 pure spelling errors. That doesn't count the places where a space or comma was left out. Nice boat. Seller in a big hurry. I wonder what it would be like to talk to him. It is interesting that he got "battery" and "batteries" and "ventilating" right.

Ranger 29, sailboat and trailer with near new beta marine 3 cylinder deasil 349 hrs, Lighter than original Gas model, Edson wheel, Harkin roller furling , 7 sail
1 new main, new 1 Taffeta,1 145
genua 1 new 130 Genoa.1 110 Jib,1 95% jib Drifter and extra Main

Equipment: Sails,2 Mains 1 new 1, 145%Tafeta New, 1, 130% new, 1 110%,1, 95% 1 drifter New sail cover,2 new Lewmar40 2speed wenches, 2 new Handles ,Cascading backstay 24to 1,2 New Endura Brade Halyards lead to cockpit through new roop clutches, New wind speed and tack instrument, Newley rewired mast with wind instrument, Boom Vang, Harken Roller Furling, Edson wheel steering with compass binnacle, spare tiller, Ray Marine wheel piolet, Garman GPS map, Ship bell, Signal horn, spare dock lines, spare jib sheets, Raytheon VHF radio, Contest bulkhead compass,
spare filters & belt,

Newley lined fuel tank,
75' 30A
p0wer cord,
2 manual bilge pumps

boarding ladder
Cabin ventilating fan
Boom Kicker ( no
toping lift)
Blower in
laserett
110V inverter
110V
refridgeator
110V microwave
110V single Hot plate
super
reinsulated icebox
Stainless
steal propane stove
several new Lifejackets,

Winds chute
first
aide kit
throwable Horse
shew
Rescue sling
throwable cushions
Cockpit cushions
3 life jacket lights
1- 12' extension
boot hook
boat paddle
many 110 V & USB Outlets
1 Danforth Ht
Anker with 300'rood & 20' chain
1 Danforth Ht
Anker 200'rood and 14'chain
2 water tanks

16 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I see 25 pure spelling errors. That doesn't count the places where a space or comma was left out. Nice boat. Seller in a big hurry. I wonder what it would be like to talk to him. It is interesting that he got "battery" and "batteries" and "ventilating" right.

1 new main, new 1 Taffeta,1 145
genua 1 new 130 Genoa.1 110 Jib,1 95% jib Drifter and extra Main

spare filters & belt,

Newley lined fuel tank,
75' 30A
p0wer cord,
2 manual bilge pumps

boarding ladder
Cabin ventilating fan
Boom Kicker ( no
toping lift)
Blower in
laserett
110V inverter
110V
refridgeator
110V microwave
110V single Hot plate
super
reinsulated icebox
Stainless
steal propane stove
several new Lifejackets,

Winds chute
first
aide kit
throwable Horse
shew
Rescue sling
throwable cushions
Cockpit cushions
3 life jacket lights
1- 12' extension
boot hook
boat paddle
many 110 V & USB Outlets
1 Danforth Ht
Anker with 300'rood & 20' chain
1 Danforth Ht
Anker 200'rood and 14'chain
2 water tanks

slow day there BC? :D

• Like 1

Seems to me it was written by someone who can spell, but types fast and didn't use spell check during or afterwards. Also lots of weird capitalization and punctuation. 

And Bull, you missed the "Harkin" on the second line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chester said:

slow day there BC? :D

That made my day, Chester. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I need a bit more exact info.

Does he mean two Speed Wenches(tm) or some undefined number (more than one) of 2-speed wenches?

Does the blower really suck?

FB- Doug

Only if she is the MegaMaid option!

- Stumbling 

4 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Seems to me it was written by someone who can spell, but types fast and didn't use spell check during or afterwards. Also lots of weird capitalization and punctuation. 

And Bull, you missed the "Harkin" on the second line. 

I did miss that one. That's disappointing because I really respect Harken (or is it Harckan?).

But you've really got to wonder about "Anker." That is a really bad one. Also, the seller didn't really give a shit about proofreading - total lack of pride in workmanship.

A comment on "shew" rather than shoe.  Although, it defies the wayward fingers explanation. I have just gotten through all 738 pages of Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815, by Gordon Wood,, an excellent readable history, and Jefferson and other learned Founders frequently spelled words differently. "Shew" for show, was one of them. (See Ed Sullivan for 20th century example.)  "Shew" for shoe didn't come up.

Finally, Henry McMaster, also known as Foghorn Leghorn, the governor of South Carolina (too small to be a republic and too large to be an insane asylum), refers to educational institutions as "skews" but that is pronunciation peculiarity, not necessarily spelling.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

That made my day, Chester. Thanks.

Da Nada, so did your spell check!

36 minutes ago, Windward said:

Is that an AMC Javelin in the background?

Oooh, or a Matador?

I remember looking through some of my BIL's old car magazines. There was a letter to the tech guy asking if anyone made a spoiler for the Matador. He responded there was no need as they came prespoiled from the factory.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Oooh, or a Matador?

I remember looking through some of my BIL's old car magazines. There was a letter to the tech guy asking if anyone made a spoiler for the Matador. He responded there was no need as they came prespoiled from the factory.

Many, many years ago, I dated a young lady that drove a Pacer.  Things didn't work out.  I sure do miss that car.

• Like 1

A high school buddy of mine had the Pacer-X, which was a slightly sportier version with an overdrive button on the tree-shifter.

32 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Many, many years ago, I dated a young lady that drove a Pacer.  Things didn't work out.  I sure do miss that car.

I saw a pacer live and in action on my street last week!  it had a wild paint job that seemed to advertise a free lance comptuer tech business but it was a real, live, operating AMC Pacer.

19 minutes ago, chester said:

I saw a pacer live and in action on my street last week!  it had a wild paint job that seemed to advertise a free lance comptuer tech business but it was a real, live, operating AMC Pacer.

They are not often seen in the wild.  Even back in the 80's

Consider yourself lucky!  

Unrelated...  a buddy of mine had one in highschool.   The steering rack was a peach of a design (amid the litany of other issues)

1 hour ago, chester said:

Every so often you see a Gremlin too, or a Ford Pinto hatchback, or even (God help us) a Chevette. There was a faded blue Plymouth Horizon in the Mayo Clinic parking lot two weeks ago, tho Arizona is kinder than most places on shitty cars.

It is a really great & graspable illustration of probability distribution. While 80% of Horizons/Omnis croaked within a 2-year band either side of their 5-year warranty expiration, a few died withing months of leaving the factory ... and a few, a very few, are surfing the right-breaking asymptote all the way to Survivor Beach. My personal theory is that all the 'rightness' that was missing from 300k other Horizons/Omnis Chrysler built somehow wound up in these blessed singletons.

Our family owned two Omnis, one Horizon, and two Pintos. We must have had a carbon monoxide leak somewhere in the house.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Every so often you see a Gremlin too, or a Ford Pinto hatchback, or even (God help us) a Chevette. There was a faded blue Plymouth Horizon in the Mayo Clinic parking lot two weeks ago, tho Arizona is kinder than most places on shitty cars.

It is a really great & graspable illustration of probability distribution. While 80% of Horizons/Omnis croaked within a 2-year band either side of their 5-year warranty expiration, a few died withing months of leaving the factory ... and a few, a very few, are surfing the right-breaking asymptote all the way to Survivor Beach. My personal theory is that all the 'rightness' that was missing from 300k other Horizons/Omnis Chrysler built somehow wound up in these blessed singletons.

Our family owned two Omnis, one Horizon, and two Pintos. We must have had a carbon monoxide leak somewhere in the house.

I converted a '76 VW Beetle to battery electric drive. 

Later, I wanted to convert a Pinto just for fun, but never got around to it. I think it would be fun to convert all the shitty, unreliable compact cars of the 70's and 80's into reliable electric vehicles. It's not like I'd be ruining valuable classics and getting the purists all riled up. Imagine how much fun to drive they would be with the torque of an electric motor and the reliability.

The only downside, is that those cars are usually pretty heavy. There was very little use of plastics, aluminum and composites back then.

2 hours ago, Windward said:
2 hours ago, chester said:

They are not often seen in the wild.  Even back in the 80's

Consider yourself lucky!  

Unrelated...  a buddy of mine had one in highschool.   The steering rack was a peach of a design (amid the litany of other issues)

I don't understand the hate. :D

image.png.bf70d204696dd6a47e054f6e50a24f11.pngimage.png.86ecdb6621fe2f535cdc8a8c213c85c3.pngimage.png.b76dce14b4a2ca9e6244bee688bf4800.pngimage.png.5799400a86360ad8227465aed492d295.pngimage.png.d793e25370bb8bc9ee1f74bf39658982.png

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Later, I wanted to convert a Pinto just for fun, but never got around to it. I think it would be fun to convert all the shitty, unreliable compact cars of the 70's and 80's into reliable electric vehicles. It's not like I'd be ruining valuable classics and getting the purists all riled up. Imagine how much fun to drive they would be with the torque of an electric motor and the reliability.

The only downside, is that those cars are usually pretty heavy. There was very little use of plastics, aluminum and composites back then.

I'd be afraid that even an electric Pinto would burst into flame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

One of my teachers in high school dropped a 350 into the back seat of a Chevette. Those poor little things were not designed to go that fast. Actually, they were not designed to go any speed.

Then there was the Maverick, a particularly unappealing example of a particularly unappealing genre of low end economy cars offered by US manufacturers who had absolutely no idea why anyone would want one and thus designed accordingly. And, just to add insult to injury, Ford came out with a Maverick in hot car trim called the Grabber. I know neither what nor whom it was supposed to grab but a guy I know actually bought one of them in 1970. Needless to say, the ridicule which followed was vicious and unrelenting, even after he sold it in his shame.

BTW, is this really a sailboat forum?

48 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Then there was the Maverick, a particularly unappealing example of a particularly unappealing genre of low end economy cars offered by US manufacturers who had absolutely no idea why anyone would want one and thus designed accordingly. And, just to add insult to injury, Ford came out with a Maverick in hot car trim called the Grabber. I know neither what nor whom it was supposed to grab but a guy I know actually bought one of them in 1970. Needless to say, the ridicule which followed was vicious and unrelenting, even after he sold it in his shame.

We only talk about sailboats when there's nothing else going on.

I had a friend who owned a Maverick... strong contender for Worst Car Ever.... but fortunately never heard of "the Grabber." It's like they WANTED scorn and mockery!

- DSK

22 minutes ago, mcsailor0303 said:

Back on topic here: https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/homestead-free-free-free-26-sailboat/7134667867.html

Free sailboat. Balboa 26. the boat is stuck on the mud in cape sable south of shark river. if you can get it is yours. I have title and trailer for the boat. call or text me at

Looks like several different kinds of fuck-ups going on there. Why is the roller-furler hanging free?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

One of my teachers in high school dropped a 350 into the back seat of a Chevette. Those poor little things were not designed to go that fast. Actually, they were not designed to go any speed.

Sure they were.

A Crower injected big block Chevette on alky?

On the street :blink:

image.png.e0a41a85a99034589b970b57e6788c91.png

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

IIRC, A new Maverick was one of the gifts given to Robin Lee Graham to bribe him to finish his Nat Geo circumnavigation.  The book says that he sold it for cash. Along with the boat. 

There. Sailing.

My great Aunt & Uncle bought a Maverick, around that time, which seemed unusually modern for them, since the only other cars I'd known them to own all had big tail fins.  

Good fracking grief.  All the vehicles I own now are older than their old 50's boats were then.  

• Like 1