blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

48 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Then there was the Maverick, a particularly unappealing example of a particularly unappealing genre of low end economy cars offered by US manufacturers who had absolutely no idea why anyone would want one and thus designed accordingly. And, just to add insult to injury, Ford came out with a Maverick in hot car trim called the Grabber. I know neither what nor whom it was supposed to grab but a guy I know actually bought one of them in 1970. Needless to say, the ridicule which followed was vicious and unrelenting, even after he sold it in his shame.

BTW, is this really a sailboat forum?

We only talk about sailboats when there's nothing else going on.

I had a friend who owned a Maverick... strong contender for Worst Car Ever.... but fortunately never heard of "the Grabber." It's like they WANTED scorn and mockery!

- DSK

22 minutes ago, mcsailor0303 said:

Back on topic here: https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/homestead-free-free-free-26-sailboat/7134667867.html

Free sailboat. Balboa 26. the boat is stuck on the mud in cape sable south of shark river. if you can get it is yours. I have title and trailer for the boat. call or text me at

Looks like several different kinds of fuck-ups going on there. Why is the roller-furler hanging free?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

One of my teachers in high school dropped a 350 into the back seat of a Chevette. Those poor little things were not designed to go that fast. Actually, they were not designed to go any speed.

Sure they were.

A Crower injected big block Chevette on alky?

On the street :blink:

image.png.e0a41a85a99034589b970b57e6788c91.png

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

Then there was the Maverick, a particularly unappealing example of a particularly unappealing genre of low end economy cars offered by US manufacturers who had absolutely no idea why anyone would want one and thus designed accordingly. And, just to add insult to injury, Ford came out with a Maverick in hot car trim called the Grabber. I know neither what nor whom it was supposed to grab but a guy I know actually bought one of them in 1970. Needless to say, the ridicule which followed was vicious and unrelenting, even after he sold it in his shame.

IIRC, A new Maverick was one of the gifts given to Robin Lee Graham to bribe him to finish his Nat Geo circumnavigation.  The book says that he sold it for cash. Along with the boat. 

There. Sailing.

My great Aunt & Uncle bought a Maverick, around that time, which seemed unusually modern for them, since the only other cars I'd known them to own all had big tail fins.  

Good fracking grief.  All the vehicles I own now are older than their old 50's boats were then.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

We only talk about sailboats when there's nothing else going on.

I had a friend who owned a Maverick... strong contender for Worst Car Ever.... but fortunately never heard of "the Grabber." It's like they WANTED scorn and mockery!

- DSK

Ford "Scorn" and Lincoln "Mockery" were both fortunately cut from the line before production.

3 hours ago, Prairie Boater said:

No one has mentioned the Chevy Astra or Pontiac version.  At 12,000 miles they pretty well expired, along with the warranty.

i think it was chevy vega and pontiac astra...both crappy cars.

My dad had a Plymouth Barracuda.  He loved that yewge curved back window.  I was wondering why the Vega hadn't  been mentioned yet.  My BIL bought, not one brand new Vega, but but after it croaked he bought a second one!  Then again I've had my '66 MGB sitting in the shed for 40 years with a broke motor so I'm no saint.  Would I be offending anyone if I've considered converting it to electric?

4 hours ago, eric1207 said:

My dad had a Plymouth Barracuda.  He loved that yewge curved back window.  I was wondering why the Vega hadn't  been mentioned yet.  My BIL bought, not one brand new Vega, but but after it croaked he bought a second one!  Then again I've had my '66 MGB sitting in the shed for 40 years with a broke motor so I'm no saint.  Would I be offending anyone if I've considered converting it to electric?

if you really want to make us laugh do it with pure  lucas componetry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 167149 said:

Lucas, the prince of darkness.

Invented color coded wiring. Every wire black.

Positive ground.

The weird thing is, Mavericks are now popular for hot-rodding.

Just now, jhc said:

Positive ground.

The US military uses all-black wiring harnesses. The good thing is that they at least number them with metal tags and common circuits share the same number across all vehicle platforms. If wire #23 goes to the volt meter, it goes to the volt meter on every vehicle from an M-151 MUTT to a HMMWV to an M813 to an MTVR.

34 minutes ago, jhc said:

Positive ground.

I run a new- to- me commercial boat.  Around here I need flood lights to run at night or otherwise I’d suck up all the lobster gear for miles in the props.  I tapped into an otherwise unnecessary 12v circuit to mount the lights on the cabin top.  Cut the wire, strip the casing and......both wires black.  Turns out every component on the boat is wired this way.  Sigh.  So far as I know nothing runs backwards, so that’s something.....

An old friends sister had a 66 mustang in college. She wrecked it so my buddy and I took it and fixed it up. We noticed that someone had re-wired it at some point and apparently all they had was a spool of red wire. Everything was red, thankfully, it didn't have too many electrical problems, but tracing circuits was a PIA. 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

The US military uses all-black wiring harnesses. The good thing is that they at least number them with metal tags and common circuits share the same number across all vehicle platforms. If wire #23 goes to the volt meter, it goes to the volt meter on every vehicle from an M-151 MUTT to a HMMWV to an M813 to an MTVR.

The buildings I used to work in were all Pink PTFE wire (except RF), rack after rack after rack, each of the 3 floors was half the size of a football pitch..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kinardly said:

Hey - the 302 Maverick was a good performing street car.  Comparatively light, and the little Ford V8 liked to spin.   I liked 'em . 

49 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Hey - the 302 Maverick was a good performing street car.  Comparatively light, and the little Ford V8 liked to spin.   I liked 'em . 

Yeah, I had a high school buddy with a '74ish Maverick 4dr sedan, maroon over black vinyl, steelies with cop hub caps, and a 302 under the hood, 3spd manual on the floor.  Man did that baby ever burn up the bias plys in a straight line.  Just don't get into a corner too hot...

Cheers!

2 hours ago, jhc said:

Positive ground.

I always thought there wouldn’t be any worse car electrics than Lucas... until I encountered Magneti Marelli! 

Btw: Why do the English drink warm beer? 

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

The weird thing is, Mavericks are now popular for hot-rodding.

They always were - Pro Stock when new.

They are light - that's all the hot rodders really care about.

Hell even I'd take one if it had a Boss 429 in it. :D

image.png.ddbb11df57e724fbfdf01ddb67cff04e.png

1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

I always thought there wouldn’t be any worse car electrics than Lucas... until I encountered Magneti Marelli! 

smoke2.jpg

fusereplacement.jpg

• Like 2

I saw a Maverick today.  Made me think of this thread.

Not ground, its Earth.  Says so right on the tach; "POSITIVE EARTH".

jhc    Super Anarchist

Positive ground.

10 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Warm, and non-carbonated. Pulled from a siphon tap. 

Makes the quaffing quicker.

3 hours ago, jhc said:

Warm, and non-carbonated. Pulled from a siphon tap. 

Makes the quaffing quicker.

No, it’s because their fridges are made by Lucas. :D  

That joke was tired 1/2 century ago.

Time to let it go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That joke was tired 1/2 century ago.

Time to let it go.

Another tired old jokes that need to receive DTS honors is the one about the guy in bear country only needing a dogballs to shoot his buddy in the knee.

9 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Another tired old jokes that need to receive DTS honors is the one about the guy in bear country only needing a dogballs to shoot his buddy in the knee.

I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Wow, there's a lot to unpack here.

Literally!

Is the fence leaning against the boat, plus other random building materials, included in the deal? How about the rabbit?

Trailer looks bent, may not be safe to move...

FB- Doug

San Juan 21. Interesting handrail placement. 

I will play the devils advocate on this one. Assuming the front has not fallen off and the hull is intact it may be worth saving. These boats have a small cult following around here, when the NOODS used to come to town they were one of the larger one design classes. The rig should be cheap, and not having an interior may be plus. Show up with a bunch of friends, offer $100 for the trailer, flip it around and off you go. 

6 hours ago, steele said:

I will play the devils advocate on this one. Assuming the front has not fallen off and the hull is intact it may be worth saving. These boats have a small cult following around here, when the NOODS used to come to town they were one of the larger one design classes. The rig should be cheap, and not having an interior may be plus. Show up with a bunch of friends, offer $100 for the trailer, flip it around and off you go. 

Probably around a 1975 Mk2. SJ21s don't have an 'interior' to speak of anyhow. Some molded pan furnishings and a few cheapo cushions. It will have wet decks. The fixed ports will leak. But it's actually a pretty good boat for small mountain lakes, and super easy to launch on short ramps. Fully retracting keel means it will float in 7" of water. Boat only weighs around 1400lbs.

11 hours ago, bmiller said:

Now she does have some redeeming value.  Just look at that outboard motor mount. Think of the money the prospective purchaser can save by not having to purchase a long shaft outboard. Why, even the shortest of the short shaft outboards will easily reach the water.  As low as that outboard motor bracket is, one will not even need a lower unit on their outboard.  The powerhead will be dragging in the water.    

11 hours ago, chester said:

do you get the rabbit too?

Looks like a Western Cottontail. I have been studying, we have one on our front lawn most days.

5 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Now she does have some redeeming value.  Just look at that outboard motor mount. Think of the money the prospective purchaser can save by not having to purchase a long shaft outboard. Why, even the shortest of the short shaft outboards will easily reach the water.  As low as that outboard motor bracket is, one will not even need a lower unit on their outboard.  The powerhead will be dragging in the water.    

And yet: if you walk forward, even the longest shaft of a trolling motor will ventilate the prop. This I know.

If you sail faster than 7kts, the transom (with motor) will submerge. This I also know.

Still, it is a pleasant enuf little beastie. An okay sailboat. Probably the most okay fugly cheapo boat I've ever sailed. Ours is yellow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

And yet: if you walk forward, even the longest shaft of a trolling motor will ventilate the prop. This I know.

If you sail faster than 7kts, the transom (with motor) will submerge. This I also know.

Still, it is a pleasant enuf little beastie. An okay sailboat. Probably the most okay fugly cheapo boat I've ever sailed. Ours is yellow.

we had a Mk1.  It was fun in big wind and waves on a prairie .  steer off and drop the main out on top of a wave and surf off, harden up and climb back into the wave train, repeat. I had what i thought was quite a clever tent built that covered from the mast back.  lift the boards and sail up onto a beach...I enjoyed owning that boat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like a Western Cottontail. I have been studying, we have one on our front lawn most days.

Cute and cuddly, until they chew wires under your car. 

I like to recycle them into fox food.

6 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Any protests near by?

Not aware of any marine store lootings. That would be classic though: Steal a bunch of outboards and sell them on craigslist a week later. 

3 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Not aware of any marine store lootings. That would be classic though: Steal a bunch of outboards and sell them on craigslist a week later. 

something along those lines happened in NZ in april, hire car company lost around 100 or so cars to the local toerags and started to appear for sale hours later.... most have been recovered i think

59 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Cute and cuddly, until they chew wires under your car. 

I like to recycle them into fox food.

Why not into a pot pie?

On 6/3/2020 at 4:52 AM, jhc said:

9.9 is biggest motor Russell should be allowed to have.  Is he still the mayor?

On 5/25/2020 at 11:17 AM, See Level said:

Good thing the bilge pumps still there,

that thing looks like it's about ready to sink.

00h0h_bktey91o3vh_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

that baby will buff right out, no problem.  front fell off with some other non essential parts.

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Why not into a pot pie?

Isn't that illegal?

FB- Doug

"This posting has been deleted by its author."

Must be one of "us" as fast as it went away.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, SloopJonB said:

They always were - Pro Stock when new.

They are light - that's all the hot rodders really care about.

Hell even I'd take one if it had a Boss 429 in it. :D

image.png.ddbb11df57e724fbfdf01ddb67cff04e.png

What does she rate?

Is it possible to be named Edward without being called "fast eddie" at some point? 

2 hours ago, sculpin said:

Is it possible to be named Edward without being called "fast eddie" at some point? 

Nyet.

4 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

What does she rate?

Pro Stock of course.

4 hours ago, sculpin said:

If I was named Eddie I'd be grateful to the person who nicknamed me "Fast".

My sister was a movie aficionado and she told me once that "Eddie" was always a little loser in the movies - or a dog.

She was right too - just watch for it.

It's right in there with the line in Canadian Bacon - "The black guy always dies first". Once you hear it you start noticing how true it is. :D

19 hours ago, See Level said:

Probably sold, it'll be relisted soon "used twice"

That is some seriously funny shit right there!

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My sister was a movie aficionado and she told me once that "Eddie" was always a little loser in the movies - or a dog.

In "Rocky Horror Picture Show" Meatloaf = Eddie.  He is cool - until he dies early. 

I don't think that is a spoiler.  

I'm surprised she missed that - she was a huge fan of Mr. Loaf.

Which of course reminds me of one of my favourite Eddie-from-the-movies quotes:

"This is our dog, Snot.  He's got a bit of a sinus problem."  

(Sorry for the drift.)

My favourite cousin Eddie from the Lampoon movies was the bit about the plate in his head.

On 6/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, Bugsy said:

In "Rocky Horror Picture Show" Meatloaf = Eddie.  He is cool - until he dies early. 

"It was a mercy killing."

6 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Cool Kayak !

A little disappointed that it’s not listed as “Kool Kayak” but pretty sure it belongs here (:-)

https://scranton.craigslist.org/boa/d/thompson-cool-kayak/7122150487.html

B4E0C1BD-4A26-4517-9703-DF4C0AE61ECB.jpeg

Oh, for a clearer picture of the rig!  So many questions.... It seems the sails are furled on the bottom yard, and hoist up?  They seem to be set on aft side of the mast, and so will press against it when raised?  Is that pipe insulation taped to the mast to prevent chafe?  What kind of control lines are there, and where to they lead.  Is there any kind of fin besides that rudder, so as to do anything other than sail dead downwind?  That lower sail seems to be perfectly at head height, so how in the world do you see where you’re going?  What, exactly, in the blue blazes were you sailing for 30 years that would make this thing seem like a good idea?

Well, every kid that I knew that grew up around camps and canoes at some point turned a canoe into a sailboat.  Often using sticks, old pieces of rope and a tarp.  With a good wind you could either have a fast down wind run, watch the rig collapse or get thrown into the water (or all of the above).  This is just the 'adult' version of that.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The front door is quite...different. Nicely done, but why?

00r0r_16Wc5VevU6J_0jK0qk_1200x900.jpg

It's a live aboard. That's why.

7 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Cool Kayak !

A little disappointed that it’s not listed as “Kool Kayak” but pretty sure it belongs here (:-)

https://scranton.craigslist.org/boa/d/thompson-cool-kayak/7122150487.html

B4E0C1BD-4A26-4517-9703-DF4C0AE61ECB.jpeg

i am very knowledgeable about this rig because i rigged it myself. (been sailing over 30 years) you wiull have fun with this oat."

I'm on my way with my check book. Anyone know a surveyor in Scranton?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, NaClH20 said:

Sorry; I didn’t necessarily intend my comments to come across as praise (this is a mocking thread, after all).  It is pretty well done, but the seller appears to be trying to recoup some of the (considerable, probably) conversion expenses while failing to understand the difference between cost and value.

I don’t particularly get the draw of converting old lifeboats to private use, even considering that initial acquisition would be relatively cheap.  I had a career at sea, and spent a bit of time floating around in them.  They suck.  They’re intended to get the maximum number of people afloat and away from a ship, once, and that’s it.  They fail in every other aspect of being a boat, such as comfort, speed, aesthetics, mechanical durability, etc.  Sea story:  I did an internship on a liquified natural gas tanker.  It was a ball-type (as opposed to later membrane types) and was essentially triple-hulled.  It had an inner and outer hull (ballast tanks in between) and then five separate foam-insulated aluminum spheres.  We had to do a lifeboat still once a quarter that involved lowering, launching, manning, operating, and recovery (the last being the most dangerous, as davit launched lifeboats are not designed to be recovered).  The cargo engineer hated these drills, as he got seasick on small boats even in a flat calm.  His argument was that the ship could break up into five separate pieces and still remain afloat, and he would be safer clinging to one of those pieces than bobbing around in a little open lifeboat.  Hard to argue, as subsequent events in the El Faro proved.

I think there may be confusion between the concept of lifeboat and that of liberty launch.

3 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Oh, for a clearer picture of the rig!  So many questions.... It seems the sails are furled on the bottom yard, and hoist up?  They seem to be set on aft side of the mast, and so will press against it when raised?  Is that pipe insulation taped to the mast to prevent chafe?  What kind of control lines are there, and where to they lead.  Is there any kind of fin besides that rudder, so as to do anything other than sail dead downwind?  That lower sail seems to be perfectly at head height, so how in the world do you see where you’re going?  What, exactly, in the blue blazes were you sailing for 30 years that would make this thing seem like a good idea?

00T0T_i0ME1EOBH3S_1200x900.jpg

It looks like the sails are around each yard and hoist up, so you can see underneath. Overall, looks like way too much stuff to deal with in a kayak.

4 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Read too many Aubrey/Maturin books.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:26 AM, Ishmael said:

The front door is quite...different. Nicely done, but why?

00r0r_16Wc5VevU6J_0jK0qk_1200x900.jpg

Uh, because...

image.png.b66411d5560a093061c4833d3a654a6f.png

On 6/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, Ishmael said:

That's a nice trailer for $650, and it comes with a load of firewood. Sweet!

And all the lead sinkers you'd care to make.

Think what a beauty she was as a debutante. 

A zillion years ago I was assigned to destroy a similar boat with a chainsaw. I did it but it haunts me still.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

A zillion years ago I was assigned to destroy a similar boat with a chainsaw. I did it but it haunts me still.

That makes you a good human being. ;)

On 6/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Ishmael said:

00T0T_i0ME1EOBH3S_1200x900.jpg

It looks like the sails are around each yard and hoist up, so you can see underneath. Overall, looks like way too much stuff to deal with in a kayak.

Original square rig roller furling.

39 minutes ago, Therapy said:

Original square rig roller furling.

thought I was looking at Maltese Falcon there for a second.

• Like 1