blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

14 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Holy Fuck.  Yea, thats more than I expected.   When I was at the miami show I was checkin yachts out like this for fun, but, in reality they were only like 60m long and they were like $100-200k/week.  This one is much bigger. Who the hell pays $4M/week.  Sheesh.

Nobody.

I suspect It's a tax dodge to classify it as a commercial operation instead of a private toy.

Just think of how much boat you can buy for $4 mil.

• Like 1

"Many of these boats are owned by offshore companies, so instead of paying taxes, the companies funnel the money into their second business – the yacht. All those yachts keep getting bigger, just so the money can be laundered. In those cases, they're just big money laundering operations."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjk75b/drugs-money-laundering-and-rehab-what-its-really-like-to-work-on-a-super-yacht

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Who the hell pays $4M/week.  Sheesh.

Not me!

However, I've learned that I sure as fuck could retire with $4M!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toddster said:

"Many of these boats are owned by offshore companies, so instead of paying taxes, the companies funnel the money into their second business – the yacht. All those yachts keep getting bigger, just so the money can be laundered. In those cases, they're just big money laundering operations."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjk75b/drugs-money-laundering-and-rehab-what-its-really-like-to-work-on-a-super-yacht

and international real estate!

Need to flush a few $B's, build some large buildings!

How the fuck did we end up with a society in which a few fuckwits have so much money they can afford this?

The boat and the video is pathetic.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

How the fuck did we end up with a society in which a few fuckwits have so much money they can afford this?

Oh I don't know.  I'd like to be able to do my tai chi on the foredeck without having to worry about tripping over my jib sheets.  Am I the only one?  

Really?

7 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Oh I don't know.  I'd like to be able to do my tai chi on the foredeck without having to worry about tripping over my jib sheets.  Am I the only one?  

Really?

Cruising Catamaran?

That can be added to the sales brochure for most of them!

- Stumbling 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, andykane said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-custom-cc-racing-sailboat/7155509159.html

A C&C 1/2 ton for a mere $27,000!

Would be a good fit alongside that wakeboat, with "Stereo system with indoor and outdoor speakers" and "Battery bank so big you can crank the tunes all day".

You also get these great features:

- Impeccable logs and structurally indestructible

- Bullet proof inboard Volvo engine that purrs and needs no maintenance or foreseeable repair.

- Hydraulic sail drive allows you to go 12 knots (Falling off a wave???)

Not to mention the "new" sails which look like they've been sitting in the weather for 20 years.

That boat has been around here for many years. It has crew cockpit wells. So if you have to cruise you'd have to go up on deck to roll over for sleeping. Another VRC zombie fleet there I guess. It was like the Peterson 1/2 tonner that was there. Real weird cat that owned it. I raced the other Peterson 1/2 tonner and we won VARC boat of the year - twice; with two different owners. When the other one was always tied to the dock. Never raced or even go out. 

On 7/12/2020 at 12:33 AM, AnotherSailor said:

Sad, but historically it has pretty much always been that way with humans.  

The old "We can't afford a boat, but we can sure afford to do a major refit!" approach.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Retired-CaptainSailor-seeks-Sailing-Ship_36075854

Retired Captain/Sailor seeks Sailing Ship
Retired Fisherman and Kids looking for a seaworthy ship
to sail around the known and unkown world.
Should be 36 feet plus, have sails, engine and float.
If delapidated we can repair, rebuild, rerig and paint.
Free or cheap would be great as all are unemployed
but are industrious, intelligent and experienced.
Thanks, Muchos Gracias, Arigato.

Clicking through to the poster's other ads brings up this great opportunity. In exchange for free parking, you can live in your van/camper/tent/yurt/truck and build what I can only presume is some kind of (floating?) commune.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Island-Coastal-Adventures_35727651

We're looking for resourceful, adventurous, bush wise,
happy, soul survivors up for a challenge.

Amazing wilderness location.

Need own van, camper, tent, yurt or truck to live in.

Trade camp rent for part time work to start...

May turn into a full time career..

Familiarity with running a chain saw and/or hand tools.
Building log and poly shelters, log cabins, docks, walks
and bike trails would be great.

Ship building, cabin building, cooking, fishing, pottery, painting,
sailing, sawmilling and carving magic out of wilderness are appreciated skills.

Gardening, first aid, mechanic, medic and wilderness survival super useful as well.

Adventurer Applications accepted starting May 1, 2020.

Apply here.

"It's not a job, it's an Adventure!"

Even staged next to that pile of garbage it still looks like... part of the greater pile.

He says the hull has been repainted, but he shows a picture of it pre-painting?  Or is that what it looks like after this craftsman has had his way with it?

1 hour ago, Hukilau said:

He says the hull has been repainted, but he shows a picture of it pre-painting?  Or is that what it looks like after this craftsman has had his way with it?

"had his way with it" implies more than neglect. Now it's even less appealing.

In some cases I might be tempted to pay 3500 to get one of these damn things destroyed, but this one will never ever make that fucking whining noise again. It is a happy ending!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, andykane said:

The old "We can't afford a boat, but we can sure afford to do a major refit!" approach.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Retired-CaptainSailor-seeks-Sailing-Ship_36075854

Retired Captain/Sailor seeks Sailing Ship
Retired Fisherman and Kids looking for a seaworthy ship
to sail around the known and unkown world.
Should be 36 feet plus, have sails, engine and float.
If delapidated we can repair, rebuild, rerig and paint.
Free or cheap would be great as all are unemployed
but are industrious, intelligent and experienced.

If they're industrious, intelligent and experienced, why can't they get jobs and *buy* a boat?

I've seen similar ads locally and my reaction generally is - scammer. Wants something for nothing, then going to flick it or live in it & trash it then move on. Probably the odd exception but what's the odds?

As for the other ad - sure, I want to act as laborer on your projects and pay you to do so. I think the Mother Earth News used to run this sort of caper, but they had people who knew what they were doing, so more of a workshop than paying labor.

FKT

On 7/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, Steam Flyer said:

So, they let her bat clean-up? How'd she do against the O's pitching (if you call it that)

- DSK

They were playing a series, O's won Friday night, but, Saturday, wedding Day - they were dumb.  Bats were working, their base running cost 'em lots of missed opportunities.  The announcer on the local news channel suggested that because my team lost, that I should take her last name.   

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, SloopJonB said:

It's the nature of the beast. Their whole reason being is "Mine's bigger than yours".

I was going to say that the price of used boats in the 100' range probably represents a pretty big discount from new because who wants to admit they got their luxury yacht used. Might be true, but might not. Almost anyone buying a boat in that range is going to replace all the electronic goodies and probably make some other changes as will.

Looking for examples, I came across this one. Just half a million and change, being sold in bankruptcy. I do like that the listing says both that a refit is in progress and that the boat will be sold "as is." Interior pictures undoubtedly are from when the boat was new 25 years ago.

Whoever it was that went around plopping unstable glass vases of flowers on the tables didn't even get them centered.

2020-07-14_0918.png

2020-07-14_0921.png

3 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I was going to say that the price of used boats in the 100' range probably represents a pretty big discount from new because who wants to admit they got their luxury yacht used. Might be true, but might not. Almost anyone buying a boat in that range is going to replace all the electronic goodies and probably make some other changes as will.

Looking for examples, I came across this one. Just half a million and change, being sold in bankruptcy. I do like that the listing says both that a refit is in progress and that the boat will be sold "as is." Interior pictures undoubtedly are from when the boat was new 25 years ago.

Whoever it was that went around plopping unstable glass vases of flowers on the tables didn't even get them centered.

2020-07-14_0921.png

The offset flower vase; the offset companionway of interior decorating.

As an aside, the flooring/cabin sole looks wrong to my eye. Are those sheets of plywood/teak-and-holly? The ends of the planks are aligned, not staggered. 

*Shakes head in disgust* Ya don't see that crap on my twenty foot 4ksb, that's for sure. 

Snubs

23 hours ago, snubber said:

The offset flower vase; the offset companionway of interior decorating.

As an aside, the flooring/cabin sole looks wrong to my eye. Are those sheets of plywood/teak-and-holly? The ends of the planks are aligned, not staggered. 

*Shakes head in disgust* Ya don't see that crap on my twenty foot 4ksb, that's for sure. 

Snubs

Those are access/stowage hatches, which is why the joints are not staggered. But it does look like hell anyway! There are ways to blend that transition better. Personally, I like outlining a hatch with a border strip, which eases the transition and says, "This is a hatch. You may find that malfunctioning bilge pump in here."

Recall also that many expensive boats are places to park assets, and some buyers will write down that depreciation instead of eating it. So they don't really care what they sell it for when they are done. They got their fun out of and recoup much of the loss. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:22 AM, SemiSalt said:

2020-07-14_0921.png

I would hate to be on the leeward side of that saloon when heeled, especially if I needed to barf.

1 hour ago, climenuts said:

I've been motoring past this piece of shit since last May: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/north-vancouver-southwest-sailboat/7152543967.html

Held pretty well at anchor until we had a 50kt blow.

Would be lucky to give it away when including all of the fucking grounded pictures in the post.

I’m not buying the quote “floats perfect.”

inguess in light air,  you want the bow down so the transom isn’t dragging through the water... but at anchor...not so much

4 hours ago, climenuts said:

I've been motoring past this piece of shit since last May: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/north-vancouver-southwest-sailboat/7152543967.html

Held pretty well at anchor until we had a 50kt blow.

Would be lucky to give it away when including all of the fucking grounded pictures in the post.

Does it float at all these days?  I went past it a few times a couple of months ago and it looks like it's waaaay up the beach. 

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

You don't have a picture of the actual boat, but that's the "sister ship" you choose to show?  "Hey folks, I'm being honest here; this is a picture from a sales brochure, not the actual  boat in question."   Yeesh.

14 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Does it float at all these days?  I went past it a few times a couple of months ago and it looks like it's waaaay up the beach. 

Judging by the photos I think the keel has dug itself a hole and it's sitting on the bottom every low water. It's sitting pretty low too so I would assume it takes on water when afloat and it might drain back out when drying :)

On 7/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, Foiling Optimist said:

This talk of the douchiness of wakeboats reminded me of this video, which may legitimately be placed here as this vessel is indeed for sale or charter.

The amazing thing to me here, however, is that douchiest thing is not that there are six guests and forty crew on a 136m yacht, nor the helicopters of that they colonize an island for dinner. No, the douchiest thing is the jet skis. How can jet skis, and similarly wake boats, be that awful they can outshine a 136m gin palace for pure mortification?  It's amazing.

What's not to like?  Just need some Russian hookers and shit load of blow.  Might as well, the end of the known world is nigh.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:37 AM, Liquid said:

Not me!

However, I've learned that I sure as fuck could retire with $4M!

Per week, one assumes you mean.

5 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Per week, one assumes you mean.

Yup, if I wanted to retire on that monstrosity...

19 hours ago, Liquid said:

Yup, if I wanted to retire on that monstrosity...

4 mill in cash tax free would do nicely for retirement..  I'm  pretty sure id could do it on one mill. provided I invested smartly and lived off the interest and didn't touch the principle.  granted I wouldn't be living a lifestyle in the lap of luxury, but it would'nt be much different than the way I'm living now..

actually the second hull looks a little bit racey

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/tyaskin-sail-boat-hulls-make-good/7145164694.html

Sail Boat Hulls make a good playhouse - $100 (Princess Anne)

00k0k_5USw4kh0L5W_600x450.jpg

01111_d6MwGfPJH3T_600x450.jpg

43 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

4 mill in cash tax free would do nicely for retirement..  I'm  pretty sure id could do it on one mill. provided I invested smartly and lived off the interest and didn't touch the principle.  granted I wouldn't be living a lifestyle in the lap of luxury, but it would'nt be much different than the way I'm living now..

actually the second hull looks a little bit racey

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/tyaskin-sail-boat-hulls-make-good/7145164694.html

Sail Boat Hulls make a good playhouse - $100 (Princess Anne)

00k0k_5USw4kh0L5W_600x450.jpg

01111_d6MwGfPJH3T_600x450.jpg

What kind of parent would let their kids play in -that- ??

And yeah, there's something under the dirt and slime, on that 2nd one, but nothing says "WINNER" like sitting on old tires. The trailer looks like it might be worth taking home, if free.

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

And yeah, there's something under the dirt and slime, on that 2nd one, but nothing says "WINNER" like sitting on old tires. The trailer looks like it might be worth taking home, if free.

FB- Doug

Santana 525 maybe  minus keel and rudder

On 7/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, Marcjsmith said:

300k all cash,   No checks,  no cashier or bank checks.....cash

yeah, that’s gonna work....I don’t see it selling anytime soon

Maybe these folks can buy it to replace the wakeboat they sank on Pathfinder Reservoir. Fortunately, the same Wyoming wind that swamped their BallastAssDragger blew all the party ashore before they could go properly hypothermic. (The water in Pathfinder was in no small part snow about five weeks ago.)

On 7/20/2020 at 7:26 AM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Santana 525?

24 minutes ago, vibroman said:
On 7/20/2020 at 8:26 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Santana 525?

I think so, it's got more bow slope than the 23 and looks bigger than the Tuna 20

FB- Doug

57 minutes ago, luminary said:

That is actually not a bad deal it seems to me. I am not in the transportation business, but someone up north might find a purpose for this to make and make some money once we are back to some kind of normalcy. Seems well maintained and ready to roll.

41 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:
1 hour ago, luminary said:

That is actually not a bad deal it seems to me. I am not in the transportation business, but someone up north might find a purpose for this to make and make some money once we are back to some kind of normalcy. Seems well maintained and ready to roll.

Sailing club with a built-in parking lot!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

Trust me, you don't want to own a retired B.C. ferry.

They work those things until they are completely uneconomic for further use.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Trust me, you don't want to own a retired B.C. ferry.

They work those things until they are completely uneconomic for further use.

Really?   If I had the contacts and the gumption that would make for a great ferry in some river in Africa or South America.  Get the government to pay for it. And delivery.

Clapped out or not, they would make it work somehow.

Seems cheap to me, albeit I really have no idea what I'm talking about... just a couch potato perspective.

This is the sort of thing that happens to retired BC ferries.

image.png.b15359c56d740247e4a0b5cc7c3a3d4b.pngimage.png.2744d2d04291106a6307112888808d43.png

16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sailing club with a built-in parking lot!

FB- Doug

Bonus for a RC boat that nobody would ever hit. Winner!

• Like 1

They look like good candidates to be repurposed into COVID wards.

we had this one here a few weeks ago. Now with updated description:

image.png.2d379e89dcd41983a2644184d64b379e.png

"Good boat but needs to go in the yards."

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/el-cerrito-50-ft-ferro-cement-ketch/7163709053.html

One also has to wonder about this boat:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/d/el-granada-50-ft-custom-steel-sailboat/7151506458.html

"almost ready to go" ... "super talented artisan" 

and the only picture from the outside is a picture of a flyer

1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

As in junk yards.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

They look like good candidates to be repurposed into COVID wards.

Micronation possibilities, also!

Wolkommin upto Ferrlandia! Vee haben cannybis! Admitta: ten cryptoguilders, hotties no guilders.

• Like 1

Almost ready to go.

85% complete.

There's the floor you want to see as seasickness takes over.

01313_4HuJG74K3Em_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bull City said:
8 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

As in junk yards.

Or the back yards of yourself and your neighbor, assuming he's friendly and you both want either really big planter. Or you could turn it upside down and cut a door in each side (one for you, one for him) and use it as a shed.

FB- Doug

20 hours ago, See Level said:

There's the floor you want to see as seasickness takes over.

01313_4HuJG74K3Em_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

Should upgrade the bulkhead to one of those spiralling illusion ones that looks like it's moving.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, luminary said:

Yah, been on that very ferry.  Seems reasonable but as sloop says they squeeze the life out of them before passing them on.  The fuel bill to operate it would be one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it".

On 7/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, SloopJonB said:

This is the sort of thing that happens to retired BC ferries.

image.png.b15359c56d740247e4a0b5cc7c3a3d4b.pngimage.png.2744d2d04291106a6307112888808d43.png

I think this beauty was in Teakerne Arm and used to house loggers who were raping the forests.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:29 AM, zenmasterfred said:

I think this beauty was in Teakerne Arm and used to house loggers who were raping the forests.

Might be a nice boat to drag over a mountain...

image.png.b67ec9d5b4c5b2e4615d75d17c6eef77.png

^ I've got a book about the old sternwheelers on the Columbia that includes a data table of all the known (to the author?) boats.  One of them is listed as built in Geneva, Switzerland, which always leaves me with a "WTF?" and a mental image of something like that.  

WTF indeed.

Herzog actually did it! The film is worth watching, especially if you know that they manually dragged that boat over the mountain (and I believe 3 people got seriously injured in the process). 

That movie blew me away! I should watch it again.

Klaus Kinski in action:

I'm looking for another beater to abuse.

This one has a Cadillac converter where most cars only have a catalytic.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-need-gone-today/7168134458.html

Hey all I have a 96 Nissan pathfinder. I need gone ASAP. It is in OK shape not brand new by any means definitely can be a decent car for commute to and from work it does need work though unfortunately it needs a Cadillac converter that is why I’m trying to sell for so low it still runs starts up great the interior is OK not in great shape but it’s an OK car does have a radio. Tires are OK the passenger. The driver window does not roll up I think it’s just off track. I am selling this car because unfortunately I lost my license and I am needing the money to make rent basically. If you’re interested I am willing to take offers I do need to make as much as possible on this car like I said it does still run but I do know that the part is not too expensive to fix if interested please give me a call or you can come look at it today I need it gone as soon as possible cash only. Or Venmo. Thank you

Hey all I have a 96 Nissan pathfinder. I need gone ASAP. It is in OK shape not brand new by any means definitely can be a decent car for commute to and from work it does need work though unfortunately it needs a Cadillac converter that is why I’m trying to sell for so low

What a dummy - everyone knows it's a catastrophic convertor.

WTF kind of scam is this? Nothing to do with boats.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-las-vegas-want-to-make-easy-help/7157283927.html

I have 200$ to 500$ for any one who can print up me some stubbs or get me approved for a car i have 5 grand for deposit and can handle up to 500$ in car payments please text me or call me so we can sit down and get it down i can provide gas money etc if you can get me furniture and rims financed that is a bonus i live in a 5 bedroom house in a gated community just me and my wife we have bank account also thanks looking for porsche pannamera cayenne 2010 and up or grand cherokee 2016 and up vs preferb also challenger or charger v8s escalade tahoe lexus RANGE ROVER 2014 AND UP benz 2010 and up please help

• Like 1

He needs help financing rims for a high end car? :lol:

On 8/1/2020 at 8:51 AM, European Bloke said:

You have to remember to take beers from alternate coolers to keep things balanced. That's going to require focus...

Textbook question from my old propability theory prof:

A fat teenager stuffs two bags of n chips into his pockets. He draws randomly out of each with equal chance. As soon as he draws from an empty bag he discards both and gets two new bags. Give the propability distribution of discarding m chips.

He propably will discard the bags overboard causing his prob to chew them up. This will propably result in fatter fish to accentuate his fish story regardless of what the value of m is.  Though on a fish scale the propability of someone noticing a difference in weight is proberly not going to happen as the mmm factor of fish is preportionally related to the y(u)mmm factor and will be un-noticed.

5 hours ago, mathystuff said:

Textbook question from my old propability theory prof:

A fat teenager stuffs two bags of n chips into his pockets. He draws randomly out of each with equal chance. As soon as he draws from an empty bag he discards both and gets two new bags. Give the propability distribution of discarding m chips.

Zero.

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

WTF kind of scam is this? Nothing to do with boats.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-las-vegas-want-to-make-easy-help/7157283927.html

I have 200$ to 500$ for any one who can print up me some stubbs or get me approved for a car i have 5 grand for deposit and can handle up to 500$ in car payments please text me or call me so we can sit down and get it down i can provide gas money etc if you can get me furniture and rims financed that is a bonus i live in a 5 bedroom house in a gated community just me and my wife we have bank account also thanks looking for porsche pannamera cayenne 2010 and up or grand cherokee 2016 and up vs preferb also challenger or charger v8s escalade tahoe lexus RANGE ROVER 2014 AND UP benz 2010 and up please help

Lives in a "gated community"

Yeah, the Nevada state correctional facility.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Zero.

Gonna need a bigger boat.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Autonomous said:

That movie blew me away! I should watch it again.

Klaus Kinski in action:

Never seen that footage, but heard about the fights. Apparently someone offered to kill Kinski.

And yes that move is fucking incredible!

Does that qualify as a bidet?

HA, interesting. Here is his explanation:

"In 2019 a Natures Head composting toilet was installed.
The original Jabso hand pump head and holding tank are still in place and functional. I added the composting head in the shower. As a liveaboard sailor I did not use my shower and did not want to fuss with a holding tank."

There is a a holding tank, but he does not want to fuss with it. Makes perfect sense. NOT. 

3 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

As a liveaboard sailor I did not use my shower 

Eww... better remain socially distant!

24 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

"In 2019 a Natures Head composting toilet was installed.
The original Jabso hand pump head and holding tank are still in place and functional. I added the composting head in the shower. As a liveaboard sailor I did not use my shower and did not want to fuss with a holding tank."

There is a a holding tank, but he does not want to fuss with it. Makes perfect sense. NOT. 

I don't understand the mocking here. If he doesn't have easy access to a pump out, the composting head makes lots of sense. Living aboard, I'm sure the showers at the marina, or at the gym, or wherever, are way better than trying to shower on a boat. I say good on him for not doing a half-assed job removing the holding tank and causing problems for future owners. If you don't want the composting head, then take it out.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, andykane said:

I don't understand the mocking here. If he doesn't have easy access to a pump out, the composting head makes lots of sense. Living aboard, I'm sure the showers at the marina, or at the gym, or wherever, are way better than trying to shower on a boat. I say good on him for not doing a half-assed job removing the holding tank and causing problems for future owners. If you don't want the composting head, then take it out.

Not so much mocking as amusing. Why not remove the old head and put the composter in its place, leave the holding tank capped off for later use. I can just see the Admiral and her Captain taking care of the morning business at the same time. The couple that shits together stays together.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 8:58 AM, Windward said:

Really?   If I had the contacts and the gumption that would make for a great ferry in some river in Africa or South America.  Get the government to pay for it. And delivery.

Clapped out or not, they would make it work somehow.

Seems cheap to me, albeit I really have no idea what I'm talking about... just a couch potato perspective.

I'm sure there are some Nigerian princes who would be happy to finance such a deal ...

• Like 1