blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

10 hours ago, Autonomous said:
14 hours ago, See Level said:

Private Lessons ! Learn How to . . . Liveaboard ! - $99 (Seattle and Bellevue)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/seattle-private-lessons-learn-how-to/7197264473.html

Is this the Seawitch guy?

Seawitch1939?

That guy was on the East Coast.... no guarantee he stayed there, of course.....  is free lessons on how to help him fix his boat part of the package "deal"?

FB- Doug

Let's quote this ad for posterity before it's gone:

Be successful . . . the first time !

Avoid all of the usual mistakes ! Save big $ !

U.S. Coast Guard licensed instructor.

Over 30 years of professional experience training people just like you how to live aboard successfully.

Sail and power.

$99 a lesson.

So he's saying that you should really have a USCG licensed instructor to teach you how to...live aboard?!?

Winter is coming, must be time to sell that liveaboard.

Option 1, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $169

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/richmond-northeast-steel-sailboat/7198816884.html

Option 2, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $550,000

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/victoria-custom-45-liveaboard-for-sale/7198218241.html

8 hours ago, andykane said:

Winter is coming, must be time to sell that liveaboard.

Option 1, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $169

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/richmond-northeast-steel-sailboat/7198816884.html

Option 2, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $550,000

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/victoria-custom-45-liveaboard-for-sale/7198218241.html

Option 1 is priced about $169 too high.

Option 2 needs the engine replaced. I think at least two zeroes should come off that asking price.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:39 AM, bmiller said:

I dream of a trailer, in Bosler Wyoming/

with tires on the roof dear, and you by my side./

We can watch Flintstones and draw unemployment/

Cuz I dream of Bosler when I close my eyes.

--Jalan Crossland

(You have to know Bosler to appreciate the song. It is said -- perhaps apocryphally --  a storm chaser passing thru town reported signs of recent tornado damage & had to be told No, that's just how Bosler normally looks.)

Hey, it's got a pair of bronze gudgeons.

That's all I see. Burn it and sift through the ashes.

He claims the sails are good, who knows about the mast, keel etc.

Were I close by and had a small boat project in mind I'd look at it.

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:
22 hours ago, bmiller said:

00303_fa03tkBITAa_0fu0kE_1200x900.jpg

It’s not fit to even send a Viking to Valhalla!

Not even firewood.

"Hey, put it on Craigslist. I bet some body will give you money for that!"

Or not

FB- Doug

To follow what Ish said, I would pay $5 for those gudgeons.  

I would say that for $5 the owner has to remove them but I suspect they might be easy to pry off that rotted mess of a transom.  

I'd guess the sail, if it exists,  is the same vintage as that wood boom with the bakelite blocks laying on the uhh...dead pile of garbage.

On 9/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, Ishmael said:

Option 1 is priced about $169 too high.

It says $169 on the title, but in the body of the listing it says $169,000, which is what I think this dude is asking... 

48 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

It says $169 on the title, but in the body of the listing it says $169,000, which is what I think this dude is asking... 

In that case, it's $169,000 too high.

• Like 1

Here is one that actually mocks potential buyers:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/oakland-santana-22/7199732281.html

I am not mocking the boat (hell no, that is a great boat) or the seller. Just thought it is a hilarious ad. Obviously he is not in a hurry and respect him for this. I have seen too many Santanas neglected by the new owner.

• Like 2

Knowing less than nothing about cruising cat prices, please correct me if I'm out of line, mocking this boat.  

To me (what the hell do I know?), it looks like it needs quite a lot of work for $70,000 (now $60K)

This company, that will remain nameless to protect their reputation, has a history of asking insane prices for the used boats they advertise on CL.  See that disassembled trimaran behind the cat?  That's $3,500 (no trailer, as usual).  

They also have an annoying habit of using Caps Lock for their postings.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/santa-rosa-46-catamaran-sailboat/7188797301.html

00c0c_iewgJ0DljtQ_600x450.jpg

Is that the dinghy/cat place that keeps selling their "accumulated" stuff from 20+ years after losing their lease. Santa Rosa is pretty far from any sailable water...

I don't know their history very well, but that sounds right.  I heard they lost their lease a couple of years ago and had to move a few miles to a new yard.  

Spot on with the 20+ years.  They sell ancient boats that have sat out in the sun for decades, and they ask ridiculous prices for them.  

It's too bad, too.  They have a couple of boats I'd really like to buy, but no way am I'm paying the ludicrous amounts they're asking. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winston29 said:

See that disassembled trimaran behind the cat?  That's $3,500 (no trailer, as usual).  

Here's that $3,500 gem of a trimaran they're selling.  What a beauty!  Just needs a trailer (as usual) and a whole lot of money.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/santa-rosa-trimaran-sailboat-project/7188796355.html

00J0J_f6WOwEwDCdm_600x450.jpg

That'll buff right out, I'm sure.  

00q0q_aemvGbdzGrm_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

13 hours ago, Winston29 said:

Knowing less than nothing about cruising cat prices, please correct me if I'm out of line, mocking this boat.  

To me (what the hell do I know?), it looks like it needs quite a lot of work for $70,000 (now $60K)

This company, that will remain nameless to protect their reputation, has a history of asking insane prices for the used boats they advertise on CL.  See that disassembled trimaran behind the cat?  That's $3,500 (no trailer, as usual).  

They also have an annoying habit of using Caps Lock for their postings.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/santa-rosa-46-catamaran-sailboat/7188797301.html

Are those teeny tiny triangle-ey things on the back actually the rudders?

FKT

Too bad the seller is a twat. I like the basic lines of that catamaran although it's much too large for my tastes and yeah, the rudders are far too small.  I also like that trimaran. I wonder what it would take to re-assemble it? I assume it's not like a Farrier that is meant to fold up.

Yeah, ads in all caps that scream MUST SELL NOW!!!! do not inspire me. That's your problem, bud.

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
17 hours ago, Winston29 said:

No. They are not rudders.

They are "rutters," which is the accepted terminology for in-water foils intended by their incompetent designer and/or builder to provide steering but are too small, structurally inadequate, and given insufficient leverage & control mechanism, to work as rudders. This term generally implies a multihulls but it's not a strict part of the definition. Also, it implies that the designer and/or builder studied 10,000 designs but didn't learn a damn thing as well as rejecting well-meaning advice or instruction from those who know better.

Aside from that, this boat is not even 85% complete. Is it legal?

FB- Doug

• Like 3

Is it legal? I dont get the question. Do you mean the title? Or?

Well worth mocking. How long they been working on it? The interior looks like a funky 60 yo diner back in the foothils somewhere. Puke. 

1 hour ago, Baldur said:

Is it legal? I dont get the question. Do you mean the title? Or?

Well worth mocking. How long they been working on it? The interior looks like a funky 60 yo diner back in the foothils somewhere. Puke. 

Sorry, running gag.... -ALL- home built boats for sale must be advertised under the claim that they are 85% complete.

Can't see enough of the interior... which I agree is gag-worthy.... to tell if the builder invested any time & effort in systems or if he just built furniture

- DSK

7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Yeah, ads in all caps that scream MUST SELL NOW!!!! do not inspire me. That's your problem, bud.

My impression, based on the fact that their ads have been running, in many cases, for several years without any change in price, is that they're in no hurry at all to sell their old, used (up) inventory.  They have a giant, sparsely used yard, so they're in no real need to make space and could care less how long it takes.  CL makes it easy to ask too much, without losing any of their own money in the process.  

To me, using all caps simply suggests a lack of intelligence and/or understanding that NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T WRITE LIKE THAT.   Or perhaps the poster has poor eyesight and doesn't know how to enlarge the font, on their end at least, to make it easier to see what they're writing.  

I didn't notice the rudders (Rutters) :lol: right away.  Come to think of it, they do look awfully small for a boat of that size.  

As for how the amas mount to the main hull (Vaca?).  It appears they simply bolt on.  

(I'll bet that Mustang's for sale too, but at $40,000, they're not getting any takers) :P

00z0z_f3pbdnf96gx_600x450.jpg

00e0e_km8NPF8ifRD_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Those Walmart tires are ~67.00 each.

Trailer is not a bad one either.

Outboard run?

Battery?, fire extinguisher and two paddles.

Toss the boat and it might not be a really bad deal. 

1 hour ago, Orion Jim said:

Fucking brilliant! I have some Douglas firs in my neighborhood... They are protected but that is the due diligence of the buyer right?

Seller has 100% positive feedback.

Dunno... I have a few white oaks that have grown up in somewhat dense (sunlight limited) woods. They are very tall and straight, as opposed to the usual branching mode.  I always feel as if they should be good for something special.  

That ad was pretty akamai.   :)

On 9/23/2020 at 6:26 AM, Steam Flyer said:

It's a catamaran: each hull is 42.75% complete.

Trimarans (or proas) require more complex weighting formulae. A center hull at 50% completion and amas at 17.5%, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:
On 9/23/2020 at 8:26 AM, Steam Flyer said:

It's a catamaran: each hull is 42.75% complete.

Trimarans (or proas) require more complex weighting formulae. A center hull at 50% completion and amas at 17.5%, perhaps?

I am in awe of your mighty skill with these number-thingies. They are like powerful runes to put at the top of an ad. Surely this boat is a great bargain! It cannot be otherwise!

- DSK

6 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

That ad was pretty akamai.   :)

I interviewed at Akamai several decades ago....

6 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I interviewed at Akamai several decades ago....

You probably met my windsurf buddy who was head of HR.  He was a windsurfer originally from Quebec, Stephane?

4 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

You probably met my windsurf buddy who was head of HR.  He was a windsurfer originally from Quebec, Stephane?

1 interview with was a sales manager dude that I didn't want to work for, I never made it to HR.

However, I probably should have pursued that job as it was just before their inflection point....

• Like 1

My examination with a number like that was just for the number of times I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:18 PM, Orion Jim said:

Oh man, I gotta try that!  I’ve got about 10 white pines around the house that need to go.  Bunch more and some spruce in the back five, too.  I’m sitting on a fortune!

2 hours ago, Therapy said:

My examination with a number like that was just for the number of times I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

The only examination I sat for in 1967 was a diaper check.

• Like 1

I have a decal just like that on the mast, only it's dated 1997, I think.  The problem is that I see that and for some reason have this feeling that 1997 was only about two years ago, so it's not that bad...

• Like 1

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/annapolis-rainbow-24-sailboats-for/7197896653.html

If you are looking for a new winter project, look no farther. We are thinning our fleet reserve and looking to make space in our yard.
Own a piece of sailing history - featuring an 1100 lb keel, a spacious daysailor cockpit, and an extremely durable build from the 1960's. There is nothing like the strong and stable Rainbow 24 sloop.
Bare hulls available for free. Will load on new owners' trailer free of charge.
Disclaimer: These hulls all have varying levels of defects. They will need extensive repairs to be sailable again.
Other vessels pictured are not for sale.
Contact for more details or to set up a viewing.

I dunno   is a free rainbow hull still asking too much...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/annapolis-rainbow-24-sailboats-for/7197896653.html

If you are looking for a new winter project, look no farther. We are thinning our fleet reserve and looking to make space in our yard.
Own a piece of sailing history - featuring an 1100 lb keel, a spacious daysailor cockpit, and an extremely durable build from the 1960's. There is nothing like the strong and stable Rainbow 24 sloop.
Disclaimer: These hulls all have varying levels of defects. They will need extensive repairs to be sailable again.

Too small to be turned upside down and made into a shed. Too big for a planter.... maybe a whole raised bed garden, if you already had the hole to set it in?

A bare hull is the most useless thing in the world, and all the rigging, sails, fittings, etc etc, to turn it into a boat again, are very expensive when bought individually at retail. The cost and the labor would be far far more than buying a working boat. I'm kind of irked they would do this, as it's more likely to turn people who mistakenly jump on it AWAY from sailing.

FB- Doug

The Naval Academy MWR facility has (had?) a fleet of Rainbows that they rent out. I'm curious if this is the MWR facility doing this.

57 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

In the 1970s there was a fellow named Ike who sailed a Rainbow on Biscayne Bay. He raced in the non-spinnaker handicap fleet and did well.

40 minutes ago, Ajax said:

The Naval Academy MWR facility has (had?) a fleet of Rainbows that they rent out. I'm curious if this is the MWR facility doing this.

Annapolis sailing school I think.  based on the google earth image

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Annapolis+Sailing+School/@38.9665833,-76.4751992,70m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7f615a8d616ed:0xc8f2e34ab60e9f6a!8m2!3d38.9669216!4d-76.4748801

Schooner creek Boatworks. Last time I saw Pyewacket she was under cover.

6 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Schooner creek Boatworks. Last time I saw Pyewacket she was under cover.

Isn't that Roy Disney's boat (was)? 

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Isn't that Roy Disney's boat (was)? 

Yes.

On 10/1/2020 at 2:53 PM, mathystuff said:

Ramming speed!

$_59.JPG

It tagged the dock the day before, and poof, it raised an ostrich egg!

- Stumbling 

An afternoon with a pressure washer will have that boat 85% complete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

An afternoon with a pressure washer will have that boat 85% complete.

Alternatively, it's big enough that it would make a nice small shed if dragged to a back corner of the yard, turned upside-down, and a door cut in the side.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

That's a Pantone colour, 405 C. "Grotty".

Could be 405 D, "Manky". It's Grotty with an extra half shot of Mildew.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

00f0f_iIVC102KyIu_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

01414_bClDtSaYTR0_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01515_wqiWEPGuQm_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00t0t_axwBLDTSSOl_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I think I saw that boat on TV during lockdown

51RWBCbggQL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's a Pantone colour, 405 C. "Grotty".

I do NOT want to see that color wheel...

40 minutes ago, sculpin said:

I do NOT want to see that color wheel...

Tint: Cool Puke. 

Tone: Fungus.

Shade: Skid Mark.

10 hours ago, See Level said:

I think I saw that boat on TV during lockdown

51RWBCbggQL._AC_SY400_.jpg

It's Brooklyn. The hyaenas will blend that kudzu (local! organic!) into a smoothie & sell it at their Theremin Yoga bar.

That guy is a financial genius!

$300 OBO (you probably can make that much just scrapping the trailer and keel!)

You spend $300 on the boat, haul it away, dispose of the trash and get $300 for scrapping the trailer and keel.  And somehow you come out ahead? 

1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

You spend $300 on the boat, haul it away, dispose of the trash and get $300 for scrapping the trailer and keel.  And somehow you come out ahead? 

He’s thinking that the average Craigslist bottom feeder won’t think that far ahead. 

36 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

He’s thinking that the average Craigslist bottom feeder won’t think.

Succintified.

On 9/23/2020 at 12:55 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

NO, RUTTERS.

2 hours ago, Bugsy said:

That guy is a financial genius!

$300 OBO (you probably can make that much just scrapping the trailer and keel!)

Probably

It's like that old joke about the apples and "we gotta get a bigger truck"

FB- Doug

On 10/1/2020 at 11:53 AM, mathystuff said:

Ramming speed!

$_59.JPG

Reminds me of a former poster here with the initials BS!

That's horrible and it should be killed, with fire.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

$_59.JPG

"Please don't ask questions. We know nothing."

I'm pretty sure that those are Range Rover rims on the trailer.  So there's that!

3 hours ago, mathystuff said:

$_59.JPG

They couldn't afford a Bucc 32?

image.png.eae5758e96384761e82b2ea2e31a55d6.png

4 hours ago, mathystuff said:

$_59.JPG

What in homemade hell is that?

Do any of these floating condo butchers ever consider the advanced complex intricacies of docking their prize?

4 hours ago, Autonomous said:
9 hours ago, mathystuff said:

$_59.JPG

What in homemade hell is that?

Do any of these floating condo butchers ever consider the advanced complex intricacies of docking their prize?

Never, as evidenced by that nasty rash right in the middle. Looks like it hit a piling at speed, sideways.

12 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Never, as evidenced by that nasty rash right in the middle. Looks like it hit a piling at speed, sideways.

That is definitely more than skin deep.

1 minute ago, Autonomous said:
13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That is definitely more than skin deep.

It probably goes faster sideways than forward.