blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

1 hour ago, SemiSalt said:

Is that the design that started out as a Quarter Tonner? It seemed to me at the time that the boats got bigger more than they got faster, resulting in a boat slow for its size.

It was a cruised up version of the North Star 500 QT.

They raised the sheer a bunch to get headroom.

PHRF in the 220's - about the same as other QT's of the era. They were fast back then.

Here's another one for the "Pay Me To Haul This Junk Outta My Yard" archives

https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/d/inverness-one-sailboat-for-sale/7171984322.html

One sailboat for sale. - $3000 (Inverness)

image.png.5ccc3da6823154c4e2a5aa1341c9cb9a.png

Sat there for so long it's not only got a garden growing in it, the stands rotted and fell over.

And it's pretty long way from deep water.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Here's another one for the "Pay Me To Haul This Junk Outta My Yard" archives

https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/d/inverness-one-sailboat-for-sale/7171984322.html

One sailboat for sale. - $3000 (Inverness)

image.png.5ccc3da6823154c4e2a5aa1341c9cb9a.png

Sat there for so long it's not only got a garden growing in it, the stands rotted and fell over.

And it's pretty long way from deep water.

FB- Doug

There is no way "pretty" will have anything to do with this.

2 hours ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

And, from GumTree, another....

Don't even include a rutter.

Capture.JPG

I don't want that one, it's scratched.

The firewood that's holding it up could come in handy though

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

Capture.JPG

I looked at the pix of that one a week back. The kindest thing to do is leave it right where it is, to return to the earth.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I looked at the pix of that one a week back. The kindest thing to do is leave it right where it is, to return to the earth.

FKT

It's halfway there already

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

But the motor is good!

• Like 1

Scratched? Did anyone else picture the Black Knight from MP? Come back here and I'll bit your leg off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Here is another interesting marketing strategy: show what the boat actually could look like.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/san-jose-32-foot-columbia-sabre/7174993803.html

image.png.8b4d6e8249a6e68507215ea731b5d881.pngimage.png.e6cc20ae1218f1cc71a12ed24e9ada13.png

Looks like someone already took care of most of the sanding; wipe 'er down with some solvent and she's ready for paint!

49 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Looks like someone already took care of most of the sanding; wipe 'er down with some solvent and she's ready for paint!

Good luck!

Looks like the seller has quite a collection of boats in the backyard...

On 8/11/2020 at 4:42 AM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

"Heavy gauge steel for Heavy weather"

On 8/11/2020 at 5:25 AM, Toecutter's Ghost said:

Capture.JPG

Roller furler is the best part.  Just need to point it da other way.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:25 AM, Toecutter's Ghost said:
On 8/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, AnotherSailor said:

Here is another interesting marketing strategy: show what the boat actually could look like.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/san-jose-32-foot-columbia-sabre/7174993803.html

image.png.8b4d6e8249a6e68507215ea731b5d881.pngimage.png.e6cc20ae1218f1cc71a12ed24e9ada13.png

Ever see your fat, ugly neighbor after "Glamour shots"?  A whole lot better than after real shots and/or beer goggles.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, SloopJonB said:

It was a cruised up version of the North Star 500 QT.

They raised the sheer a bunch to get headroom.

PHRF in the 220's - about the same as other QT's of the era. They were fast back then.

The Northstar 26 was my Dad's first boat and he raced on a 500.  At best it could be described as 'bulbous'.  Fairly roomy for the day with a ton of tumblehome.

Thought they were originally a MORC boat tweaked for IOR 1/4 Tonner when that became popular?  There are still plenty sailing around the Great Lakes, built like tanks with a solid hull if the PO hasn't poked too many holes in the cored deck.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, AnotherSailor said:

before and after.  the bottom pic is what it looked like  when he bought it in Wisconsin and brought it to san jose.   https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/29637

i love classic lines and i'm a sucker for a project.  but dayum.

I know it's BT not CL but.

I feel like there's a new, much harder to get rid of generation of zombie boats on the horizon. A slightly smaller version of this might be approachable for the right free spirit with an ability to 'dream away' how they'll pay for maintenance, slip fees, and fuel....

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1962-us-navy-hydrofoil-115-6998973/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid social&utm_campaign=bt us fb dynamic re&utm_content=dynamic retargeting us&fbclid=IwAR00wCIHWPTzfhyVil8nlwnq_YH6826q6i83NQPPyEwRB_gANZqrl7XoW1k

2 hours ago, Breamerly said:

I feel like there's a new, much harder to get rid of generation of zombie boats on the horizon. A slightly smaller version of this might be approachable for the right free spirit with an ability to 'dream away' how they'll pay for maintenance, slip fees, and fuel....

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1962-us-navy-hydrofoil-115-6998973/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid social&utm_campaign=bt us fb dynamic re&utm_content=dynamic retargeting us&fbclid=IwAR00wCIHWPTzfhyVil8nlwnq_YH6826q6i83NQPPyEwRB_gANZqrl7XoW1k

Totally worth it, just so and your friends can sit around doing bong hits on the USS HIGH POINT

FB- Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Totally worth it, just so and your friends can sit around doing bong hits on the USS HIGH POINT

FB- Doug

Friends don't let friends foil stoned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Is that what the word "combination" refers to?

The engine has only 0 hours. I am sure it will fire straight up after sitting since 1962!

25 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Is that what the word "combination" refers to?

The engine has only 0 hours. I am sure it will fire straight up after sitting since 1962!

I thought this was weird, too.

10 hours ago, Breamerly said:

At least it has a life raft.

That vessel, not just the class, actually has a relatively detailed Wikipedia page with a few interesting details....

... including reference to what might be a wee bit of a problem for excited dreamers salivating at the thought of water skiing behind their floating home at 48 miles per hour.

Apparently the phrase "0 hours' actually means then it has no engine, because the original turbine exploded in 1982. The cost of repair was so high that it was decommissioned and sold to a private party, who never completed the restoration.

Someone later took it over to turn into a floating museum. To what is unclear, since it only ever saw service as a test vessel for first the Navy, then the coast guard, both of whom evidently decided they weren't terribly interested in further experimentation. The USS Arizona it ain't.

38 minutes ago, chester said:

hey, it has the installation instructions!

I've seen used toilets for sale before. The shocking part is him wanting $200 for that nasty mess. He probably used the installation instructions to wipe his ass.

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

I've seen used toilets for sale before. The shocking part is him wanting $200 for that nasty mess. He probably used the installation instructions to wipe his ass.

:P.  I remember actively considering one of those for previous/boat camper applications.  if i remeber correctly the toilet was mounted on top of its own 10 gallon holding tank which could be pumped or dumped.

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Does it come with poop or do you have to supply your own?

I would be very hesitant to open it 

At least he admits (sort of) the structure is inadequate.

Cal 20s, Santana 22s etc. have made the trip relatively unschathed. 

Sometimes I wonder if I post here too much. Sometimes I wonder if I post here -enough-

However, looking once again at at sailboat ads.... here is one that has earned our attention:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/saint-petersburg-oday-sailboat-20ft/7181203670.html

Oday sailboat 20ft - $1,750 (Gulfport)

image.png.ca9abfc25c33339e351de8f239e365c7.png

That appears to be a traffic sign from Ketchikan... is there a Ketchican Florida?

But wait, it comes with a "nice" motor

image.png.67e27e56f64c4eed69f33e06845f9e30.png

Well, yeah, really nice except for the tree falling on it.

Anybody?

FB- Doug

I've seen worse. I only see branches, not a trunk. Not much sun damage from the looks of it.  It says 'sail' not sails, dunno if that means one sail???

If you were near and wanted a daysailer it might be worth a look.

Trailer not mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I've seen worse. I only see branches, not a trunk. Not much sun damage from the looks of it.  It says 'sail' not sails, dunno if that means one sail???

If you were near and wanted a daysailer it might be worth a look.

Trailer not mentioned.

Don't take anything for granted!

It's in Florida but you're right, doesn't look to sun damaged. Maybe it was recently brought down from Ketchican Alaska? Or amybe it's ben in the shade of that tree all it's life?

Florida again, I assume that the firewood is not a desirable market commodity. But it gives me thought.... if you have a tree you want removed from your yard, can you lay it across a boat and advertise the boat for sale?

BTW there is another photo of the boat's name plate, it's a Mariner.

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sometimes I wonder if I post here too much. Sometimes I wonder if I post here -enough-

However, looking once again at at sailboat ads.... here is one that has earned our attention:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/saint-petersburg-oday-sailboat-20ft/7181203670.html

Oday sailboat 20ft - $1,750 (Gulfport)

image.png.ca9abfc25c33339e351de8f239e365c7.png

That appears to be a traffic sign from Ketchikan... is there a Ketchican Florida?

But wait, it comes with a "nice" motor

image.png.67e27e56f64c4eed69f33e06845f9e30.png

Well, yeah, really nice except for the tree falling on it.

Anybody?

FB- Doug

'Look darling, I'm really trying to sell the boat, got an ad up and everything'

• Like 1

I paid $100 for a Hobie 16 with a trailer that was perfectly sailable at the time of purchase. 

Actually looks like someone did a decent job...but...damn.  The horror...the horror...

C&C Trawler conversion

$19,250.00

$_59.PNG

1973 25 ft C&C Redline sailboat trawler conversion 2017-2018. 2017 20 HP Suzuki long shaft in excellent condition with extended warranty. Service work done at Hully Gully in London. Cruise at 6 to 10 kmph the whole day for pennies. This unique little boat is very easy to launch and recover. Tow her with V6 SUV or Half Ton. Open bow with two seats. Two bunks. Working head. Working fridge. Newer alcohol stove. Inverter. BBQ. Depth finder. Lots of storage. Woodwork in very good condition. Upholstery in excellent condition. All windows are tinted. Paint, navy blue with white deck in good condition. Boat is very clean. Surveyed last year, survey available. Trailer is steel dual axle custom made for this boat. Save thousands on dockage, sail wherever you can drive. This charming, one of a kind boat is ready to launch and enjoy. Additional photos on request.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/sarnia/c-c-trawler-conversion/1513081536

Horrifying but whoever did it certainly got the proportions right - I thought it was a 40' until I saw the outboard.

I think that's clever.  No, I wouldn't buy it but I kinda like that - it's a well done conversion.  

I'm with Autonomous; after the initial feelings of horror/admiration, my first thought was "wouldn't that boat roll like crazy?".  After looking at the pictures for awhile (my favorite is the lilypad sunshade), I'm leaning more towards admiration.  Very well done indeed.  Why it was ever done in the first place shall remain a mystery, but the "overbuild" blends nicely with the boat's existing lines.  

Nicely executed but why?

I saw a paddle beside one of the “bowseats” (a new term for the nautical lexicon) and, again, why?

^That's the bow thruster. Duh.

This boat has been admired here before.  How could you forget it?

On 8/26/2020 at 5:29 PM, Autonomous said:

Roll yer guts out. Puke city.

With less weight aloft wouldn't it roll *less*?

(I have no idea what I'm talking about)

It is my understanding that these conversions suffer badly without the polar inertia a mast provides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Autonomous said:

It is my understanding that these conversions suffer badly without the polar inertia a mast provides.

Ah yes. Just googled metacentric height* and it appears that, in laymen's terms (the only ones I understand), "masts help alot."

*Good Wikipedia page

4 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

So, take out some ballast.

29 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

So, take out some ballast.

That would only remove more polar inertia so I don't think it would help.

The problem may go back to form stability and hull shape on these conversations.

It would be heartbreaking to pour resources and time into such a project and it turns out to be a dismal failure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breamerly said:

With less weight aloft wouldn't it roll *less*?

(I have no idea what I'm talking about)

Less amplitude, but shorter period. If you've ever watched a metronome, you know that moving the weight up (toward the top of the swing arm) gives a larger swing, but a much slower one (lento, largo); move the weight down toward the pivot point, the swing is short and sharp (presto, allegro). A keel gives lots of weight but on a short arm -- very jerky and twitchy. A tall mast, even tho light, dampens the twitch.

• Like 1

Even with the mast a sailboat can roll you sick with no sail up.

I usually leave the main up when motoring - much better motion. That's the reason trawlers have steadying sails.

14 hours ago, Autonomous said:

That would only remove more polar inertia so I don't think it would help.

The problem may go back to form stability and hull shape on these conversations.

It would be heartbreaking to pour resources and time into such a project and it turns out to be a dismal failure.

A sailboat rolls more than a rowboat. As you say, whether removing the ballast helps depends on the hull shape. 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:45 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Is that one of BS's latest???

On 8/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Hukilau said:

I'm with Autonomous; after the initial feelings of horror/admiration, my first thought was "wouldn't that boat roll like crazy?".  After looking at the pictures for awhile (my favorite is the lilypad sunshade), I'm leaning more towards admiration.  Very well done indeed.  Why it was ever done in the first place shall remain a mystery, but the "overbuild" blends nicely with the boat's existing lines.  

Well the only place that would get wet would be inland lakes & canals, and I don't think it was build with the Great Lakes in mind.  Puttering through inland canals or Northern Ontario cottage country lakes seems to be it's designed objective.

Or they got it on Lake Huron ONCE after years of dreaming & building and discovered they had a turkey.

But hey, $750 price drop!

Oh yeah and that paddle is a Canadian regulation.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Winston29 said:

Speaking of...  Even for $300 they're asking too much.  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/hollister-hobbie-cat/7180059251.html

00F0F_bnLVcfq7VkZ_0kb0f8_600x450.jpg

00G0G_b74LaW8TG6T_0kb0f8_600x450.jpg

i wouldn't take even if they offered me $300...

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Only 19K for a Buccaneer 22. :lol:

But look at it this way - it's probably the nicest Bucc 22 on the planet and it's only $14.5K USD

"Sleeping for 3-4 Adults[...]" Ok that's the believable. "[...] in comfort." HA!

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Only 19K for a Buccaneer 22. :lol:

But look at it this way - it's probably the nicest Bucc 22 on the planet and it's only $14.5K USD

image.png.b930330d89a9fd2cc6ca5294c3d6bebd.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-sailboat-for-sale/7189300698.html

With all the boats out there that are actually nice, I can't believe anybody would accept one of these for free much less buy one.

Proof that truly, the world needs to accommodate different strokes for different folks

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Not only a "live-aboard", but apparently the there's a spot where the "main sail connects to the cabin".  At last, someone has figured out how to do away with that nasty boom.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Nice little hull. I bet LF Herreshoff would have had some choice words about the boxy doghouse on top of it. And when the seller says "the trailer is worth $1200" he must mean that you could buy a different trailer for $1200 and throw this one in recycle.

I have a neighbor who would like the cement steps, though

- DSK

5 hours ago, andykane said:

Buy this Catalina 27 for $10,000 and get a bonus of not 1, not 2, but FIVE boats. Plus 2 dinghies. Excellent starter package for the aspiring hoarder.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/sidney-boat-deal-catalina-27-with/7196214318.html

so,  you have the main house as the catalina 27, and 4 spare bedrooms...  whats not to love...  you can have a lot of company over...

• Like 1

not one,  but two...Mac 19's so you have spare parts

rare, and they sail well....

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/d/haymarket-two-macgregor-19-motorsailors/7194132864.html

Selling two Macgregor 19 motor sailors. One in excellent cond. With Johnson 60hp 2 stroke on galv trailer. One is in good cond with 45 h.p. Honda 4 stroke on Mac original trailer. These boats are unique and becoming rare. They are a smaller version of the M26 and much easier to transport and set up. They run approx 30 mph yet also sail well. They have a lot of room in them for a 19' boat. Prefer to sell them together. If sold seperately $6500 and $4500 each or 10k for both. For details voice call only.

9 hours ago, andykane said:

Buy this Catalina 27 for $10,000 and get a bonus of not 1, not 2, but FIVE boats. Plus 2 dinghies. Excellent starter package for the aspiring hoarder.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/sidney-boat-deal-catalina-27-with/7196214318.html

Nice pic of the dinghies.

00z0z_30BkcqIDwpb_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I don't recall the blue boat being on the beach there recently, must be an older pic.

^^^ Nice to see people still careening to scrub the bottom, just as in Nelson's day...obviously Sea Wind was out racing with her newly clean, fast bottom thel last time you were there.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Nice pic of the dinghies.

00z0z_30BkcqIDwpb_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I don't recall the blue boat being on the beach there recently, must be an older pic.

But, wait, there's more......

It slices, it dices, AAAAAND it goes up wind!

10 hours ago, Autonomous said:
14 hours ago, See Level said:

Private Lessons ! Learn How to . . . Liveaboard ! - $99 (Seattle and Bellevue)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/seattle-private-lessons-learn-how-to/7197264473.html

Is this the Seawitch guy?

Seawitch1939?

That guy was on the East Coast.... no guarantee he stayed there, of course.....  is free lessons on how to help him fix his boat part of the package "deal"?

FB- Doug

Let's quote this ad for posterity before it's gone:

Be successful . . . the first time !

Avoid all of the usual mistakes ! Save big $ !

U.S. Coast Guard licensed instructor.

Over 30 years of professional experience training people just like you how to live aboard successfully.

Sail and power.

$99 a lesson.

So he's saying that you should really have a USCG licensed instructor to teach you how to...live aboard?!?

Winter is coming, must be time to sell that liveaboard.

Option 1, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $169

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/richmond-northeast-steel-sailboat/7198816884.html

Option 2, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $550,000

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/victoria-custom-45-liveaboard-for-sale/7198218241.html

8 hours ago, andykane said:

Winter is coming, must be time to sell that liveaboard.

Option 1, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $169

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/richmond-northeast-steel-sailboat/7198816884.html

Option 2, a steel boat with a huge ungainly superstructure. Price? $550,000

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/victoria-custom-45-liveaboard-for-sale/7198218241.html

Option 1 is priced about $169 too high.

Option 2 needs the engine r