blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

It's for a couple more IMO.

Oh yeah

Plenty of mockery left in that thing

It looks like a pointy ice box

FB- Doug

Holy Mother of God - they want 55,000 for that?  Trying to find a blind buyer?

Made about 80 gallons of diesel, 40 aprox of water,

Looks like they had a diesel maker and a water maker onboard that thing.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Made about 80 gallons of diesel, 40 aprox of water,

Looks like they had a diesel maker and a water maker onboard that thing.

And the cool thing about the diesel maker is that it will pay for itself!

- DSK

00909_fDGaXMjOABM_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

1500 firm, cash only. This Cal 21 sailboat has the entire inside rebuilt with marine plywood and epoxy. I did all of this work several years ago, (except for one bulkhead and the wood in the bow, but they are new from someone else also, and are still dry.) The work also included: all the stainless steel fasteners replaced and marine ply backing plates added. New windows, reinforcing of the the fiberglass keel trunk, fiberglass in the entire deck to hull joint, adding a fresh plywood piece to the transom inside, and painting everything inside and outside. The trailer has a brand new axle with wheels and tires that have only seen saltwater about five times. It comes with a storm jib, a main sail, and head sail, two anchors and some other miscellaneous things.

https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/anacortes-cal-21-sailboat-with-sails/7207723066.html

Hope the rest of the work was done better than the paint...

2 hours ago, hdra said:

Hope the rest of the work was done better than the paint...

I did not know Jackson Pollock had a Cal 21. 

On 10/7/2020 at 6:52 AM, Ajax said:

That's horrible and it should be killed, with fire.

You would not say that if you had spend any time on the west coast over the last 2 months! NO MORE FIRE PLEASE!

8 hours ago, snubber said:

I did not know Jackson Pollock had a Cal 21. 

You gotta get your artists straight: Pollock used a technique in which the brush never touched the canvas. In these pics I clearly see brush strokes. 

I do like the artist approach though: I think we have all seen some work by Mondriaan (funny color schemes) and Kiefer (straw and mud held together with thick layers of paint). 

On 10/12/2020 at 1:53 AM, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/d/winter-park-picnic-canal-liferaft/7209195941.html

Hold 80 gals of diesel and inboard to boot.

ready to sail to Hawaii ...

Someone ,made Chubby Girl a sister

00M0M_7LtUGuYCtXZ_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I dunno - in the world of collector cars, barn finds fetch a premium over nice versions these days.

Even washing them lowers the value.

This one isn't really in line for mocking, it's obviously a bit of quality entertainment from the start

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/lake-worth-soviet-alfa-class-submarine/7212937648.html

Soviet Alfa class submarine - $7,000,000 (LAKE WORTH)

image.png.71a42a69db83be02a27a92bc85a76795.png

For sale
Have to part with my sub. The Soviet Alfa-class submarine was a great submarine. This one was built in 1978 and at the time was faster and could go deeper than anything the US had. Can reach 45 knots of speed and 2,400 feet of depth. I picked up this one from my Uncle Rico in Vladivostok and it is currently just off the Boynton inlet . Just think of the fun you could have with your own submarine and lets face it, a couple of trips to Colombia and back and you it pays for itself. No low balling .. this is my rock bottom (no pun intended ) price. (there are 6 old torpedoes on the forward section but i'm not sure if they are functional. )

I'm surprised the Russkis went cheap on the antifouling. It's gonna be quite a strain on the old reactors to shove THAT mass of barnacles along at 45 kt.

FB- Doug

Those things were loud and they couldn't outrun our torpedoes.

• Like 2

I dont remember where or when, but a guy I knew had found an ad for a diesel-electric sub for sale and was working out scenarios of what could be done with it. The most valuable part of the deal was the thousands of gallons of diesel fuel aboard.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

This one isn't really in line for mocking, it's obviously a bit of quality entertainment from the start

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/lake-worth-soviet-alfa-class-submarine/7212937648.html

For sale
Have to part with my sub. The Soviet Alfa-class submarine was a great submarine. This one was built in 1978 and at the time was faster and could go deeper than anything the US had. Can reach 45 knots of speed and 2,400 feet of depth. I picked up this one from my Uncle Rico in Vladivostok and it is currently just off the Boynton inlet . Just think of the fun you could have with your own submarine and lets face it, a couple of trips to Colombia and back and you it pays for itself. No low balling .. this is my rock bottom (no pun intended ) price. (there are 6 old torpedoes on the forward section but i'm not sure if they are functional. )

I'm surprised the Russkis went cheap on the antifouling. It's gonna be quite a strain on the old reactors to shove THAT mass of barnacles along at 45 kt.

FB- Doug

Can you get uranium at the fuel dock?

• Like 1

Sure, but you'd only need to fuel up once.

• Like 1

Those hulls were all titanium. I wonder how much you could get on the scrap metals market for that?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Those hulls were all titanium. I wonder how much you could get on the scrap metals market for that?

I was about to tell an anecdote about not being able to recycle tungsten, despite it being like US$9000 for a 12"x12"x1" piece new, and thinking titanium might be similarly impossible to recycle due it it's being hard to reprocess. But before telling this not very related story, I googled about recycling titanium and, for the first time in literally years of gently looking, found a place that recycles titanium and also tungsten. See https://www.greystonealloys.com/ I've emailed them about the few hundred pounds of Tungsten blocks we have lying around. Thanks kinardly! 

On 10/14/2020 at 6:31 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Also a good candidate for the ugly dodger thread

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, Ajax said:

In 1971, I was gunnery officer on a destroyer. We picked up a Russki boat on sonar off Fort Lauderdale and tracked it for several days up to Nova Scotia as I recall. We were getting low on fuel and had to let it go. The sonar guys said it was noisy and not difficult to track.

12 minutes ago, Bull City said:

In 1971, I was gunnery officer on a destroyer. We picked up a Russki boat on sonar off Fort Lauderdale and tracked it for several days up to Nova Scotia as I recall. We were getting low on fuel and had to let it go. The sonar guys said it was noisy and not difficult to track.

The Russians didn't have the caterpillar drive until the 80's.

20 minutes ago, Bull City said:
On 10/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, Ajax said:

Hell, when I was in the Med, we followed the Russki subs around by watching the trail of oil slick they left.

Actually, the funniest thing that happened, once in a gale, one of them surfaced right in front of us. We almost hit the damn thing. The bow lookout freaked out and we thought he had gone crazy.

FB- Doug

43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

But that was only one boat. And now it’s up some river in Maine.  

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The rest of this thread on the sub topic needs to be read with your best Sean Connery accent.

We really should start a "Submarine Anarchy" sub-topic.  I'm so fascinated by them.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

We really should start a "Submarine Anarchy" sub-topic.  I'm so fascinated by them.

No. I feel nerdy enough for bringing it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

yeah why not.....

36733D46-084D-4F2F-BAE9-2D78D90C1C62.jpeg.bcad1a076040fe32e40c7f8c587f6ec8.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

No. I feel nerdy enough for bringing it up.

Fuck that

I love to read books about submarines

And I was a tin can sailor!

FB- Doug

So 35 books maybe worth $10 each on the used market and some 50 year old 25' wood boat plans. I'm sure they're worth $2500

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/bpo/d/north-vancouver-wooden-boat-library/7215303553.html

Wooden Boat Library & Drawings for Vertue 25 - $5,000

Ever wanted to build your own wooden boat and sail off to the south seas? Or just curious on what it takes and to be an armchair sailor?

I have 35 titles on wooden boat building, design and sailing. Most in good to excellent condition. Used retail value $2,500. Will consider serious offers.

Drawings for a wooden boat “Vertue 25” by Laurent Giles http://www.vertueyachts.com

In original package with 21 drawings. Current value $2,500. Will consider serious offers.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Ad says no mass, beg to differ.....

Maybe it's a typo and they meant "No Mas"

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

So 35 books maybe worth $10 each on the used market and some 50 year old 25' wood boat plans. I'm sure they're worth $2500

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/bpo/d/north-vancouver-wooden-boat-library/7215303553.html

Wooden Boat Library & Drawings for Vertue 25 - $5,000

Ever wanted to build your own wooden boat and sail off to the south seas? Or just curious on what it takes and to be an armchair sailor?

I have 35 titles on wooden boat building, design and sailing. Most in good to excellent condition. Used retail value $2,500. Will consider serious offers.

Drawings for a wooden boat “Vertue 25” by Laurent Giles http://www.vertueyachts.com

In original package with 21 drawings. Current value $2,500. Will consider serious offers.

Well, so what. I have a copy of Origami Boat Building...

FKT

7 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Well, so what. I have a copy of Origami Boat Building...

FKT

Have you made into a flying brick yet?

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Have you made into a flying brick yet?

Saving it in case I'm utterly desperate for either bum-wipe or fire lighter.

There are actually a few useful bits of info in it but the S/N ratio is abysmal.

FKT

On 10/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, socalrider said:
On 10/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Also a good candidate for the ugly dodger thread

That dodger would/should definitely keep the water out though.

Is that what the lates Hugo Boss boat was working towards?

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

That dodger would/should definitely keep the water out though.

Is that what the lates Hugo Boss boat was working towards?

Instead of a wave-piercing bow.... it's got a wave-piercing everything

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Instead of a wave-piercing bow.... it's got a wave-piercing everything

FB- Doug

Not the dodger.

Could be titanium fabric though, so I could be wrong.

But I am never wrong.

I can track a falcon on a cloudy day as well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Windward said:

Not the dodger.

Could be titanium fabric though, so I could be wrong.

But I am never wrong.

I can track a falcon on a cloudy day as well.

Do you just follow the plume of oily smoke?

1200px-1960-Ford-Falcon-4dr-Sed.jpg

• Like 5

Ish, I had Comet, same vintage.  Try tracking that!  The oily smoke (quite blue) comment is right on.  Even now you sometimes get a whiff, then look around to see an old car that just went by.  Kind of a nostalgic odor that brings back memories of fun times with that old car.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.09.49 AM.png

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

My father had a wagon version of that thing. Small 6 with a 2 speed.

The most horrible car I ever rode in - the back seat was a piece of plywood with about 1" of foam on it. A trip in it was agony after about 1/2 hour. Going up the road to the ski hill was 1'st gear most of the way.

He redeemed himself by changing it to this when it was time for me to learn to drive.

1965ChevyImpalaSSConvertible.jpg

1 hour ago, socalrider said:

1969 Cal 29 for $50k. Claims a $200k retrofit and looks brand new. 

Not sure whether it belongs here or in not mocking. 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bod/d/san-diego-calcomplete-refit-like-new/7215334846.html

That thing looks a lot better than new. My uncle bought one of those new around '76 and it cost him around $35K back then. It wasn't nearly that nice.

What would a new 29' BeneHuntAlina cost?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That thing looks a lot better than new. My uncle bought one of those new around '76 and it cost him around $35K back then. It wasn't nearly that nice.

What would a new 29' BeneHuntAlina cost?

I’d rather have that a new production 30’er from most builders. 

I struggle to comprehend putting that much $$ (The $200k claimed) into a boat that’s fundamentally not that special. But it does look fantastic. I wonder if they’ll find a buyer at anywhere near that price. 

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

My first car was a Falcon. Green, two-door, used. Don't remember the year, maybe 62 or 63. Inline 6 and 2-speed automatic tranny. Top speed about 80 on the Mass Pike. 18 mpg.  Quiet reliable,  still in our family 5 years later.

4 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

My first car was a Falcon. Green, two-door, used. Don't remember the year, maybe 62 or 63. Inline 6 and 2-speed automatic tranny. Top speed about 80 on the Mass Pike. 18 mpg.  Quiet reliable,  still in our family 5 years later.

I drove a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda, 273 V8 automatic during the late 1980s. Looked cool, with the huge, glass greenhouse/bubble fastback. That 273 burned oil like nobody's business, so I carried a jug of used oil in the trunk and periodically refilled the engine. Worst thing was it only had lap belts. I had determined that if I crashed, my mouth would strike the steering wheel and my teeth would absorb the impact. Scary, but not scary enough to make me stop driving the car. Eventually got a screaming 340 and a four speed, and then the car was stolen. I prowled 495 south of Lowell. Fewer State-ies than the Pike. [Ha. Just remembered the wonderful left hand lug nuts on that thing]. 

Snubs

6 hours ago, socalrider said:

I’d rather have that a new production 30’er from most builders.

for 3 to 4 times the price - which was my whole point.

And the Cal 29 was a very good boat. One of Lapworths better efforts.

6 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

My first car was a 67 Falcon, two door, hunter green with a white roof. Straight six with a 3 speed auto. That was back in 73. ( I worked at an auto body shop for two summers to save the money for the car and the insurance) Six weeks after I got it a drunk woman t-boned me in an intersection. It was totaled and my insurance sent me a check for $740.00 which my father promptly confiscated. (Not everyone has nice parents). I worked nights after school and all summer and bought myself another car a year later, a 69 Plymouth Satellite with a 318. This one was in my name.

17 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Ish, I had Comet, same vintage.  Try tracking that!  The oily smoke (quite blue) comment is right on.  Even now you sometimes get a whiff, then look around to see an old car that just went by.  Kind of a nostalgic odor that brings back memories of fun times with that old car.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.09.49 AM.png

“Like a car, driving by,

Triggers something in my mind,”

Gentlemen, please! Can we not focus?

We are not yet run short of boat ads to mock, here!

FB- Doug

2 minutes ago, luminary said:

Holly molly!

Not sure it wouldnt just turtle if it ever got loose from the dock...

I think it's poor design to put the outhouse overtop the factory

00P0P_cWBs6pYtoZc_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

17 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I think it's poor design to put the outhouse overtop the factory

00P0P_cWBs6pYtoZc_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Such a nice location, too. Lots of firewood.

Dunno... the price might be right.  I could maybe clean that mess up for $170K.  Oh wait... nah, I'd need it in US bucks for that job.  

1 hour ago, luminary said:

Holly molly!

Not sure it wouldnt just turtle if it ever got loose from the dock...

00W0W_2vvtVT90Xtt_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

$169,000?  Seems fair. 

With that much superstructure is the radar reflector really necessary?

4 minutes ago, socalrider said:

$169,000?  Seems fair. 

About as fair as that hull.

That boat is too far up the Fraser to even dream of ever getting back to the ocean.

Only $169K though...

7 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I'm surprised they didn't mention what must be a unique view.

Except for all the crappy boats parked near by

FB- Doug

47 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Except for all the crappy boats parked near by

FB- Doug

I don't think you'll notice them from inside.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I don't think you'll notice them from inside.

It's not like there's picture windows and french doors and shit like that. Down the hole. I'm afraid to ask for pictures of the inside.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's not like there's picture windows and french doors and shit like that. Down the hole. I'm afraid to ask for pictures of the inside.

I suspect that the $169k valuation is based on the net present value of future cash flows from the meth lab located therein.  

1 hour ago, socalrider said:

I suspect that the $169k valuation is based on the net present value of future cash flows from the meth lab located therein.  

or pornographic webcams... 

or a mobile nursery to grow pot hydroponically.  no windows, needed its all grow lights, and water...

4 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

or pornographic webcams... 

or a mobile nursery to grow pot hydroponically.  no windows, needed its all grow lights, and water...

Mobile?

3 hours ago, chester said:

Mobile?

For 169k, based on what I’m seeing on the outside,  I figure there’s a Sulzer or wartsila buried in the hull, or a bunch of high end carbon sails.  

IMO this one deserves to be mocked for at least 2 reasons.  Maybe 3, if you want to mock the red reflectors on the amas. 

1) The seller posts multiple pictures of boats that clearly aren't the boat for sale, but just random photos of the kind of boat they're selling, including a closeup of the boat on a trailer that later it doesn't appear on. 

2) Who (badly) paints the bottom of a polyethylene boat??  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/antioch-sailboat-wind-rider/7216804915.html 

Yes, these 4 photos are all from the same ad for a single, 2015 WindRider-17 trimaran.  $6,950

00M0M_5jM9q2kELgb_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00808_dbKtvGzGiXl_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_aMXqKNHGzdX_07K05O_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_4l0DZmPpZ62_09G07g_1200x900.jpg

8 hours ago, socalrider said:

Some interesting numbers to bring to your loan officer. "Sure, it's valued above market and the comps aren't too promising -- but I figure 30% ROI cooking the white pookie and an underserved middle school demographic make this a sound investment."

45 minutes ago, Winston29 said:

IMO this one deserves to be mocked for at least 2 reasons.  Maybe 3, if you want to mock the red reflectors on the amas. 

1) The seller posts multiple pictures of boats that clearly aren't the boat for sale, but just random photos of the kind of boat they're selling, including a closeup of the boat on a trailer that later it doesn't appear on. 

2) Who (badly) paints the bottom of a polyethylene boat??  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/antioch-sailboat-wind-rider/7216804915.html 

Yes, these 4 photos are all from the same ad for a single, 2015 WindRider-17 trimaran.  $6,950

00M0M_5jM9q2kELgb_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00808_dbKtvGzGiXl_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_aMXqKNHGzdX_07K05O_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_4l0DZmPpZ62_09G07g_1200x900.jpg

How come the back part of it is antifouled... with a sloppy waterline.... and the front part isn't?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

How come the back part of it is antifouled... with a sloppy waterline.... and the front part isn't?

FB- Doug

It really is, but It goes so fast you get red shift.

• Like 2

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject/desperate-for-adventure-i-joined-a-renegade-sea-circus-until-i-had-to-flee-1.5763888

This is definitely not Craigslist but I heard this on CBC radio and got suddenly interested when the narrator talked about visiting the company principals who are currently refitting their theater, cum tall ship, cum Thames river barge at Shelter Island Marina. Now MAoCL thread aficionados from British Columbia's south coast will recognize that while we are still in the tidal river,  Shelter Island is certainly a getting a little too far up the (Fraser) river for comfort, as Sloop Jon B might say. The main story is about the theater leadership/ship captains not taking US immigration issues seriously but this came about  because they couldn't afford to comply with Canadian regulations that they probably should have, to avoid, oh, I don't know, things like the Catalina dive boat catastrophe. You can read more about the refit here and the good news is these folks are evidently good at writing grants so the Amara Zee may yet escape Shelter Island.  http://www.caravanstage.org/amara-zee-refit/ 

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

You can't see the bow in the shot with the blue paint.  It may be the same boat, but the pic wasn't taken at the same time.

I'm not sure why the tongue jack is sitting on a block of wood, but given the city it's being sold in, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot wrong with that whole set-up.  

In 2019, Antioch, Ca. was ranked the most miserable city in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I haven't been in about 20 years, but when I was last there, it was a real low-rent, low class, low brow, low IQ, white trash shit hole of a town.  Sounds like it still is.  

I'm a little surprised to see the wheels are still on that trailer. 

On 8/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, AnotherSailor said:

Here is another interesting marketing strategy: show what the boat actually could look like.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/san-jose-32-foot-columbia-sabre/7174993803.html

image.png.8b4d6e8249a6e68507215ea731b5d881.pngimage.png.e6cc20ae1218f1cc71a12ed24e9ada13.png

I actually know this guy.  I went and looked at an H-boat he had for sale about five-six years ago. I'd have bought it but wasn't at all sure that the trailer could handle the hill up to his house.

2 hours ago, Winston29 said:

You can't see the bow in the shot with the blue paint.  It may be the same boat, but the pic wasn't taken at the same time.

I'm not sure why the tongue jack is sitting on a block of wood, but given the city it's being sold in, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot wrong with that whole set-up.  

In 2019, Antioch, Ca. was ranked the most miserable city in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I haven't been in about 20 years, but when I was last there, it was a real low-rent, low class, low brow, low IQ, white trash shit hole of a town.  Sounds like it still is.  

I'm a little surprised to see the wheels are still on that trailer. 

The bow shot is a totally different boat - looks like a Farrier F27. A bargain for $6,950!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andykane said:

The bow shot is a totally different boat - looks like a Farrier F27. A bargain for $6,950!

They are different trailers too, one a box beam, the other an I beam.

• Like 1

Brilliant farm clean-up strategy!  Any random piece of junk can be monetized by selling it on CL as an anchor!  Extra points of you can come up with some reason why it's superior for some specialized conditions - and therefore worth more, of course!

00000_ij3zTr2YiY_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Another good strategy: When selling a dubious boat, arrange for a cute puppy to photobomb every shot!

"Many working parts!"

"The deed burnt in the fire..."  Wait, what fire?

00R0R_dkfZ0j82bOu_0bC0fu_600x450.jpg

14 minutes ago, toddster said:

"The deed burnt in the fire..."  Wait, what fire?

That's an all-time great line.  I love that it's not mentioned anywhere else in the ad.  Another very expensive free boat.