blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

8 hours ago, bmiller said:

Could be I have no clue what I'm talking about, might be getting ready to heave to.

well if he heaves to.......... heave 2 back at him

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, Ishmael said:

Interesting boat. I'm assuming it's a Baltic since C&C never had teak decks to the best of my knowledge.

40ft Euro Racing Cruising Yachts

00Z0Z_kHCJQN6i6QC_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg

I always liked the looks of the older Baltics, sharp boats that have aged well.

6 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:
On 11/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, Ishmael said:

00Z0Z_kHCJQN6i6QC_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg

I always liked the looks of the older Baltics, sharp boats that have aged well.

Agree. They're classics of their era.

I can do without the teak deck though

IS this mockery? I can't tell, it's too subtle for me

FB- Doug

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Agree. They're classics of their era.

I can do without the teak deck though

IS this mockery? I can't tell, it's too subtle for me

FB- Doug

No, I abandoned mockery for a couple of posts. I'm sorry, I won't do it again.

Here's something to mock, courtesy of UsedVictoria.

36ft #11.4ins #5.ins Bill Garden design concrete cutter Perkins 4107 diesel BG gear Aluminium mast headengine spar 4 with4ft all ss rigging aluminium 20ft boom mast steps mainsail with cover bow stern pulpits ss lifelines handy mans special interial work started need completion some deck work needed strongengine can be seen running in boat OBO or trade?????

No pictures, unfortunately.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/mast-head-sloop_36843517

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

36ft #11.4ins #5.ins Bill Garden design concrete cutter Perkins 4107 diesel BG gear Aluminium mast headengine spar 4 with4ft all ss rigging aluminium 20ft boom mast steps mainsail with cover bow stern pulpits ss lifelines handy mans special interial work started need completion some deck work needed strongengine can be seen running in boat OBO or trade?????

So, is it a boat? I mean, with a mast head engine and all, it sounds like it could be a concrete cutter except it doesn't mention what kind of blades

FB- Doug

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

No, I abandoned mockery for a couple of posts. I'm sorry, I won't do it again.

I sincerely doubt Garden ever designed a ferro boat.

Some sort of bastardized design for wood I suspect.

I know a ferro that was build from a Bill Garden design, a ketch around 50' or so. of course theres a newbie on it, so it gets a new hole every time he comes into the dock.. complete pos boat

16 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I'm not mocking, just want to know what the hell it is. Bizarre looking keel

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/d/palo-verde-20-sailboat/7231184448.html

00X0X_33gxaLbbRVi_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

That's a nice rim... looks like it doesn't match the rest of the trailer wheels though.

Oh, right, the keel, sorry...... looks like a Flying Fifteen keel. Never seen anything else quite like it. Apparently it works well, they're fast boats.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

I'm not mocking, just want to know what the hell it is. Bizarre looking keel

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/d/palo-verde-20-sailboat/7231184448.html

00X0X_33gxaLbbRVi_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

There were lots of weird keels like that before designers really knew what they were doing with fins.

Rudders shaped like cheese knives and so forth.

11 hours ago, Out West said:

fishing or sailing, both uniquely approached by design and construction choices.  Because rowboats are hard to find?

https://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/d/alvadore-small-sailboat/7216393337.html

wtf-2.jpg

Before I can mock that, I need to know what the fuck it is.... or maybe what it's intended to be? It looks like something hammered together by drunk chimps with random items that have been tossed into their cage

- DSK

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Before I can mock that, I need to know what the fuck it is.... or maybe what it's intended to be? It looks like something hammered together by drunk chimps with random items that have been tossed into their cage

- DSK

How does it go, an infinite number of chimps and an infinite number of typewriters and time will some how produce a masterpiece. Or something like that.

Edit:

here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, SloopJonB said:
On 11/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, andykane said:

00z0z_vqQVJf2i9_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Wee at least they seem to have shoveled out most of the dirt from its days as a garden planter.

The dirt was the most valuable part

FB- Doug

How about this one?

https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/d/ocala-homemade-sailboat/7238816803.html

image.png.cff411e110ceb0e6ecf39a532b1219e8.png

Homemade sailboat 13.6 feet long fully insulated. Coast Guard approved. 24 thrust trolling motor. Great little boat for two people to do some fishing or for just cruising around. 850 or best offer trailer included

At least the trailer doesn't seem to be made of house carpenter's offcuts, spare plumbing parts, with colored construction paper Elmer-glued over it

Shows imagination though.

FB- Doug

coast guard approved?  Really?

You could be a match maker for boaters dreams and nightmares.  :D

On 12/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, Steam Flyer said:

How about this one?

https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/d/ocala-homemade-sailboat/7238816803.html

image.png.cff411e110ceb0e6ecf39a532b1219e8.png

Homemade sailboat 13.6 feet long fully insulated. Coast Guard approved. 24 thrust trolling motor. Great little boat for two people to do some fishing or for just cruising around. 850 or best offer trailer included

At least the trailer doesn't seem to be made of house carpenter's offcuts, spare plumbing parts, with colored construction paper Elmer-glued over it

Shows imagination though.

FB- Doug

Fully insulated, kelp cutter, what's not to like?

50 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Good read; needs more gay dinosaurs.

Are you ready to depart on a depraved journey of gay lust that will tingle you to your very core?

No.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

No.

Who is ever truly ready? It is an act of faith, casting off those lines and sailing into the realms of thunder lizard butt invasion erotica.

It's not for everyone. But as Perry Ferrell said of heroin, "It's for Chuck!"

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/delta-east-central-amazing-project-boat/7238577739.html

Amazing project boat 36' Wooden Sailboat - $30,000 (Delta)

image.thumb.png.fedc16502f4f1a5f1ecbb36e5dae6e67.png$36,000

"We have majority of the parts ready from the DC refrigeration unit, two hatches, speed rudder mechanically driven, 2 head sails, the main sail, spinnaker, keel stepped mast 62' tall, a lead keel Nasa profile 5600 lbs, has all winches ready to install, Gori folding 2 blade propeller left hand to suit the engine, 1 and 1/8" stainless shaft, marine lights etc. etc."

I believe this is called "a boat kit" not a boat.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:59 PM, TheDragon said:

Maybe these two advertisers could find each other.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 2.01.52 PM.png

That couple have grifted their way up to Annapolis, have they?

There may be some unpaid bills or overstayed welcomes left behind in Wilmington.

37 minutes ago, Zonker said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/delta-east-central-amazing-project-boat/7238577739.html

"We have majority of the parts ready from the DC refrigeration unit, two hatches, speed rudder mechanically driven, 2 head sails, the main sail, spinnaker, keel stepped mast 62' tall, a lead keel Nasa profile 5600 lbs, has all winches ready to install, Gori folding 2 blade propeller left hand to suit the engine, 1 and 1/8" stainless shaft, marine lights etc. etc."

Apparently nobody told this guy about the 85% rule

But he's got a long way to go to reach that threshold

FB- Doug

30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Apparently nobody told this guy about the 85% rule

But he's got a long way to go to reach that threshold

FB- Doug

It's 85% unfinished.

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

MD11C at 27hp...with turbos and hater pipes, maybe...

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

“Buy it now, get it ready for summer.”

Summer 2035 maybe. 

• Like 3

Hey, the keel has a "nasa profile" so thats gotta give it a helluva rating. 

12 minutes ago, Baldur said:

Hey, the keel has a "nasa profile" so thats gotta give it a helluva rating. 

It's probably really fast on re-entry, providing you can get your boat into orbit in the first place.

6 hours ago, Zonker said:

But it has a brand new 45 year old big wheel Volvo.:blink:

9 hours ago, Zonker said:

JFC, why didn’t you jump at it? It’s only 36k and it has that rarest of rarities, a “speed rudder mechanically driven”. If that’s not enticing enough, the propellor even suits the engine FFS!

You mad, crazy, misguided fool, you.

If only it was over here...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

That couple have grifted their way up to Annapolis, have they?

There may be some unpaid bills or overstayed welcomes left behind in Wilmington.

A friend of mine put his Ericson 35 up for sale. A guy called, interested in the boat but wanted it for practically free. His rationale was that he and his family were going to use the boat to spread the word of God in the southern hemisphere or something and that my friend should give the boat to him because God wanted him to have it.

My friend politely declined. The guy would check in periodically to see if my friend was ready to give the boat away. This looks like such a family.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

A friend of mine put his Ericson 35 up for sale. A guy called, interested in the boat but wanted it for practically free. His rationale was that he and his family were going to use the boat to spread the word of God in the southern hemisphere or something and that my friend should give the boat to him because God wanted him to have it.

My friend politely declined. The guy would check in periodically to see if my friend was ready to give the boat away. This looks like such a family.

Send them the ad for the boat kit. God will help them assemble it. 

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Anybody know which DECADE Volvo stopped making the MD11...?

I've got the MD6A with hand crank & extra Dynastart. That MD11 looks positively futuristic!

8 hours ago, Ajax said:

If God *really* wanted him to have the boat, God would have provided the cash.

As for prosetylising to the backward primitives in the Southern Hemisphere, only a US religious nutcase would think that was a plan in the 21st century... probably explains the fuckwits who turn up here every so often though.

FKT

On 12/8/2020 at 8:34 AM, Marcjsmith said:

Has that thing been sandblasted? Maybe it is just dirt/mold, but it seems you can see the fiberglass mat. Kind of fascinating...

Oh and it does need work: load on a truck to take to the dump, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

As for prosetylising to the backward primitives in the Southern Hemisphere, only a US religious nutcase would think that was a plan in the 21st century... probably explains the fuckwits who turn up here every so often though.

FKT

Do they still eat missionary's down there?

36 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do they still eat missionary's down there?

Don't hink we've ever eaten missionaries, roos are much tastier.

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Some of them end up dinner on some remote island in the south pacific.

9 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Even Noah had to shift that fuckin gopherwood. On a deadline, too. Provisioning for ten thousand x 2 out of pocket, no GoFundMe. You know he was caulking hatches in the rain with some garbage sealant he dug out of a marina dumpster.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Sounds like someone tried to “proselytise” you, no?

Catholic priests have something of a reputation for that, only they call it something different.

3 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Sounds like someone tried to “proselytise” you, no?

Catholic priests have something of a reputation for that, only they call it something different.

Most recent were Jehovah's Witlesses and a pair of Morons in matching white shirts and black ties.

I offered them a coffee but they declined.

The JW's left fast when I pointed out that I was felling trees (true) and their car was inside the possible impact zone.

FKT

• Like 1

The morons are usually ring ins, the JW’s are locals, pays to be nice to them.

Back in the sixties and seventies the JW’s owned a lot of the VW dealerships in NSW, you didn’t want to piss them off if you had a VW.

Catholic priests and brothers usually were no problem, you just had to keep your back to the wall...

21 hours ago, Ajax said:

A friend of mine put his Ericson 35 up for sale. A guy called, interested in the boat but wanted it for practically free.

I had a guy who lived 2,500 kms away ring me to discuss my boat for sale.  He offered me a few grans less than the asking price and I agreed.  He drove up then wanted to offer me less than what we agreed.  He went home, no boat.  Felt bad about the trouble he went to but a deal is a deal.

Totaled from an unintentional careening on a sandy beach?

That sounds like a project worth taking on.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Totaled from an unintentional careening on a sandy beach?

That sounds like a project worth taking on.

Yeah but after all the hard work is done you’d have a 1992 Hunter 28!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:12 PM, olaf hart said:

The morons are usually ring ins, the JW’s are locals, pays to be nice to them.

I'm never rude to any of them unless my polite disavowal of interest isn't accepted. After that, they opened the game, it's all open rules from there.

The JW's *did* in fact turn up while we were felling trees for where my big workshop was going and we were flat out. They've never been back.

Just back from Barnes Bay. Should have stayed over there except the fisher-fanatic has to be up town tonight. Lots of baitfish action now. I offered to unload her at POW Bay but that wasn't well received.

FKT

A mate had his net out there the other day, caught a 10’ shark and a bit of munched up salmon, and there was another shark circling.

Seems fisherfolk aren’t the only people around after salmon atm...

On 12/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, Zonker said:

"SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED"

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/caspar-50-ft-world-cruiser-needs-work/7243393651.html

1973 custom 52' "world cruiser" for only $15,000, eh?  

Seller admits they don't know what they're doing.  Great.  What sort of surprised await the next owner, I wonder?

Oh, but they include a survey................................................ from 1996.  That's helpful.  

fullsizeoutput_1146.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1147.jpeg

11 hours ago, socalrider said:

Yeah but after all the hard work is done you’d have a 1992 Hunter 28!

Hey, I have a 1989 Hunter 28. It works for me, but I suppose my budget and standards are both low.

The hull has a built down, fiberglass keel stub to which the lead keel is bolted. It looks like the bottom of that stub has been fractured.  It's all solid fiberglass so the repair is probably technically feasible,  but not financially feasible. I don't know what the market value of an H28 is, but I'd guess no more than $15k. The big question is the condition of the 30-year-old Yanmar 2GM.

7 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:
On 12/8/2020 at 7:20 PM, Zonker said:

"SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED"

"Some Parts Missing"

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, Winston29 said:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/caspar-50-ft-world-cruiser-needs-work/7243393651.html

1973 custom 52' "world cruiser" for only $15,000, eh?  

Seller admits they don't know what they're doing.  Great.  What sort of surprised await the next owner, I wonder?

Oh, but they include a survey................................................ from 1996.  That's helpful. 

That survey said it was worth $150K in the 90's - right. :rolleyes: Maybe 1/3 of that - then.

Full of beautiful cabinetry - but not a single pic.

That was Samson's most popular design but an owner of one told me that it needed 15 - 20 knots to move under sail.

Oh, and it's a 45' - apparently the seller includes the sprit in its length.

5 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Hey, I have a 1989 Hunter 28. It works for me, but I suppose my budget and standards are both low.

The hull has a built down, fiberglass keel stub to which the lead keel is bolted. It looks like the bottom of that stub has been fractured.  It's all solid fiberglass so the repair is probably technically feasible,  but not financially feasible. I don't know what the market value of an H28 is, but I'd guess no more than $15k. The big question is the condition of the 30-year-old Yanmar 2GM.

Yeah that was my point - not bagging on Hunters (I came close to buying one) but not the sort of heirloom boat you spend a fortune restoring. 

But the original 1972 sails are in great shape.

So there's that.

15 minutes ago, socalrider said:

This dude wants $20k for a clapped out Ericson 27 with its diesel removed. 
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/dana-point-ericson-27-turnkey-sailboat/7246271120.html

00X0X_6LPWJsFx3bu_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Is that a heater exhaust just forwar of the stb fwd lower chainplate? Seems like a weird and very inconvenient place for it.

FB- Doug

26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is that a heater exhaust just forwar of the stb fwd lower chainplate? Seems like a weird and very inconvenient place for it.

FB- Doug

I don’t know what that is but it doesn’t look good!  My first thought was that they drilled a 2” hole through the deck to vent the composting toilet. But the pic of the toilet shows that the vent line hasn’t been connected.  

Ain't that vent in the v-berth? What're the chances it's just a fan port? My ex-wife couldn't sleep unless a fan was moving air nearby, and I can see her demanding a hole in the deck in lieu of one mounted to the bulkhead.

10 hours ago, socalrider said:
10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I don’t know what that is but it doesn’t look good!  My first thought was that they drilled a 2” hole through the deck to vent the composting toilet. But the pic of the toilet shows that the vent line hasn’t been connected.  

Wow, leaving the composter vent unconnected? That sounds nice :blink:

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, The Lucky One said:

Ain't that vent in the v-berth? What're the chances it's just a fan port? My ex-wife couldn't sleep unless a fan was moving air nearby, and I can see her demanding a hole in the deck in lieu of one mounted to the bulkhead.

I've put Nicro solar-powered vents in several boats. It's generally not too hard to find a place the people don't step, like the forward hatch. They have an upgrade with a recharging battery so it runs all night, too. They're very quiet and they freshen the air considerably.

They are great to put in a head BTW if you can locate it where the cowl is not going be a hazard on deck

FB- Doug

That boat is odd. The inside looks to be in really great shape and the outside looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a while, almost like the pictures are of two different boats. I wonder if the outside would clean up if the owner bothered. Might get a better price out of it if he did. 20k is a pipe dream.

2 hours ago, Slick470 said:

That boat is odd. The inside looks to be in really great shape and the outside looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a while, almost like the pictures are of two different boats. I wonder if the outside would clean up if the owner bothered. Might get a better price out of it if he did. 20k is a pipe dream.

I think he took a $1,000 boat, spent $2,000 on cushions and upholstery, and is trying to sell for $20k.  Winches look new though, so that's something.  Gelcoat looks totally shot.

Not from CL, but :):

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/89280

Seahopper Home Made located in Louisiana for sale

10' Seahopper Home Made

Year
Length
Beam
Draft

10'
8'
1'
Louisiana
$750
clear.gif

Description:
For sale:

A 10 VERY unique trimaran that fits 2 people. I bought it a year ago on a whim and have never sailed it. I am 6 and dont fit very well. The only think that is not perfect is there are a couple of nibbles on the front of the sail that were there when I bought it. It is still sailable the way it is.

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

10' Seahopper Home Made

Year
Length
Beam
Draft

10'
8'
1'
Louisiana
$750
clear.gif

Description:
For sale:

A 10 VERY unique trimaran that fits 2 people. I bought it a year ago on a whim and have never sailed it. I am 6 and dont fit very well. The only think that is not perfect is there are a couple of nibbles on the front of the sail that were there when I bought it. It is still sailable the way it is.

It may be sailable, but it's not saleable, not at that price. $7.50 sounds about right.

Home made?

I was certain that was a mass production item.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It may be sailable, but it's not saleable, not at that price. $7.50 sounds about right.

I reckon you have a salient point there skipper.....

Well, the seller admits to being only 6 so give them a break.

And it’s not their fault that the sail has been attacked by mice.

19 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

10' Seahopper Home Made

Year
Length
Beam
Draft

10'
8'
1'
Louisiana
$750
clear.gif

Description:
For sale:

They sure make them young now.  And just 6 years old.  Like wow.......the diction and the grammar is amazing.

1 hour ago, Therapy said:

They sure make them young now.  And just 6 years old.  Like wow.......the diction and the grammar is amazing.

Also (pet peeve) 'unique' is superlative; it does not take an intensifier (very, extremely, totally, absolutely). It may, under protest, allow a mitigating adverb: This boat is rather (somewhat, fairly, almost, practically) unique.

/englishdork

• Like 3

On 12/12/2020 at 9:23 PM, socalrider said:

This dude wants $20k for a clapped out Ericson 27 with its diesel removed. 
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/dana-point-ericson-27-turnkey-sailboat/7246271120.html

00X0X_6LPWJsFx3bu_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Is that a griddle in the galley?  If you don't want to sail, maybe you can cook up some breakfast for the dock.  Pancakes for everyone!

14 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Is that a griddle in the galley?  If you don't want to sail, maybe you can cook up some breakfast for the dock.  Pancakes for everyone!

French Toast if you're a young hot chick.

• Like 2