• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

ONly $15,000 for a burnt out hull. All you need is mad fiberglass skillz.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/3802196329.html

50 ft. Glass hull - $15000 (Westport Wa.)

Fire damaged 1980 50 ft. Ocean Alexander Hull. Propulsion Machinery OK. Twin cummins 555 eng. with 506 gears. Should be an easy rebuild for someone with fiberglass Laminating skills. Onan 8KW genset. Props. Shafts, Rudders ,etc. all OK.

Must be a typo. Clearly they meant $15.00

FB- Doug

I'm not mocking this. It's interesting that he thinks, "I have developed, what I believe, to be one of the finest examples of a cruising pilothouse motorsailer in the Puget Sound."

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3805246209.html

Aluminum Cruising Motorsailer - $143500 (Vashon Island)
3E13G73H55G35Kf5F1d5effa665ab50091099.jp
I have developed, what I believe, to be one of the finest examples of a cruising pilothouse motorsailer in the Puget Sound. I started with a Colvin Gazelle, junk rigged, professionally built in BC in Aluminum. The previous owner paid a master Boatwright in Port Townsend to install a pilot house, two steering stations, bullet proof aluminum hatch covers, a new Lugger engine, two 100 gallon fuel tanks and effectively a new engine room. New shaft, dripless shaft seal, new cutlass bearing with a Max 18" three blade prop.

I gutted the forward area of the boat back to aluminum, had foam sprayed in to the transverse frames (roughly 4" of foam total) then went to work refitting and redesigning the entire boat. The floors are teak and maple (I could not for the life of me find holly), no veneer here. The sidewalls and overhead are 6" T&G Doug fir (it is absolutely spectacular), the galley table is Alaska yellow cedar and galley counters Western Red Cedar. Cedar steps. I sound insulated against the engine room (and the engine room is already completely soundproofed). The pilot house interior is Western Red Cedar.

The electrical system is exquisite in all ways and top of the line. The plumbing is pex, hot and cold pressure, power saltwater to the sink (and anchor washdown), 75 gallons of fresh water. A skipper head plumbed to the fresh water with Sealands fancy holding tank assembly with all the bells and whistles. Custom designed and built 12 volt refrigerator with roughly 6" of foam insulation. Three burner propane stove. I couldn't find the sinks that I wanted so I built them out of wood. When you are in this boat you are sure you're in a wooden boat at the Port Townsend wooden boat show. The boat is dry with zero smells.

Outside I pulled everything, all portholes and anything bolted down, sandblasted and six coats of epoxy and paint. I am repainting the topsides this summer which needs done every four or five years and can be accomplished in a couple of days. When I want to clean the boat I pressure wash it every three months or so. It is rough and tumble, very fishing boat looking as a metal boat and indestructible. This is a northwest passage type of boat, the 200 gallons of fuel would take it far afield without needing fuel.

The junk rig sails beautifully even in light winds, is nothing short of beautiful under sail and the original sails are in outstanding shape with brand new sail covers. I have redesigned all sail handling lines back to the cockpit area and it works beautifully.

A custom bulletproof anchoring system, 225' of 5/16" high test chain with a spool of 5/8"nylon for the second anchor or to add to the chain. A 55# Ronca anchor with salt water washdown and a Tiger 555 windlass. The second anchor is a Fortress.

The side decks on the boat are huge which equals safe (with new safety lines). I keep two standup paddle boards on deck that do not get in the way of sailing the boat if I want to take them with me. A CLC Eastport Nesting Pram hangs off the davits in the back with spoon paddles.

Garmin Electronics/radar, Icom VHF with the fancy handheld forward. A W-H autopilot installed in the pilothouse with a handheld for the outside helm. The ITR heat cost almost $6000 for the parts alone (don't believe what they say at the boat show). At the dock I have a stainless 120 volt King heater.

I have roughly $63,000 of invoices. About 500 hours of day labor for the endless tasks and repetitive work needed to complete a project like this, otherwise I did everything.

I had more fun building/remodeling this boat than anything I have ever built before. It was like my Masters thesis. My first career was as a car mechanic, second career was a short stint in the Merchant Marine and my third and main career as a carpenter. I am real good with my hands and it shows in the boat. Nine years in the making. My mottos were beautiful, form follows function, bulletproof and I love wood on the inside only. There is no varnish to keep up on this boat.

If you wish to go sailing, call me. I sail on Mondays and Tuesdays, maybe Saturday if my wife doesn't have plans for me.

$143,500 and worth every penny of it.

Always liked the Tom Colvin Gazelle, but never in my wildest dreams considered adding a pilothouse to one, probably make a great NW cruiser.

Looks like some decent work topside as well as down below.

I like the part that says; "If you wish to go sailing, call me. I sail on Mondays and Tuesdays, maybe Saturday if my wife doesn't have plans for me."

Sounds like a good guy and a great Craigslister.

Always liked the Tom Colvin Gazelle, but never in my wildest dreams considered adding a pilothouse to one, probably make a great NW cruiser.

Looks like some decent work topside as well as down below.

I like the part that says; "If you wish to go sailing, call me. I sail on Mondays and Tuesdays, maybe Saturday if my wife doesn't have plans for me."

Sounds like a good guy and a great Craigslister.

Indeed. I made a mistake when I named this thread. It's not always about mocking. It looks like a unique boat and, as you say, he sounds like a decent guy.

I hope he finds a buyer.

The work on the inside looks very nice. Just based on the ad I think it would be a blast to go out sailing with the guy.

This caught my eye:

3E13I33Lc5L25Ea5K5d5e80195b501fb7158a.jp

That is the most pathetic "proud of their ugly baby " ad I have ever seen. I think they have too many zeros in the price.

Here's a gem from Vancouver CL - only $40K. I especially like the shot of the transom corner.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/3813536299.html

A Fraser River special! The Fraser flood estuary is our answer to the bijou. A lot of "characters".

And: • project with tremendous potential

Uh-huh.....right. Drag it up to Kits near the Molson's brewery and flatten it down for beer cans.

Here's a gem from Vancouver CL - only $40K. I especially like the shot of the transom corner.

Wow, Did I just sleep for a week or something, and Hotrod got his boat in the water and is trying to sell it already?

Hotrod's boat is slightly smaller and probably not yet "soaking" wet. The ad title cracked me up:

70' x 28' soaking wet Catamaran

I think it's really a Debrismaran.

Wow, Did I just sleep for a week or something, and Hotrod got his boat in the water and is trying to sell it already?

Hotrod's boat is slightly smaller and probably not yet "soaking" wet. The ad title cracked me up:

70' x 28' soaking wet Catamaran

I think it's really a Debrismaran.

Sorry, my bad, Just , that's what I thought what Hotrods boat would have looked liked after a week in the water.

WOW... and I don't mean that in a good way...

Remember that part in 'Fear and Loathing' where he's walking away and says "the room looked like the site of a failed experiment involving whiskey and gorillas"

FB- Doug

God bless Lenny...he still thinks there are people out there who are that gullible.

Hey, it's only one boat length inland. The travel lift puts my boat farther inland than that! What could go wrong - it says it's risk free right in the ad.

Currently the boat is sitting about 30' off the waterline on the soft sand. It needs to be pulled back into the water. You can probably use hand operating winch (come along) along with some plywood and oil to make it easy for her to slide back into the water and wait for a hight tie to sail her away.

....sounds like something involving fat chicks and beer .......... :blink:

This one is risk free, says so right in the ad.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/3757223967.html

14pfsk.jpg

The only problems seem to be that it has no cushions, inboard, or interior to speak of. Oh, and it is also a shipwreck.

Why not just wait for the next hurricane to refloat it and simply sail it off the beach. In the meantime get a little outboard put back on and provision it. Maybe even live on it while you wait for the flood. I can not believe he missed that possibility in the ad. Prime beachfront beach top location nestled into the soft luxurious new york sand. Easy commute to NYC and low low taxes.

What do I anchor the other end of the come-along to...Ireland?

WOW... and I don't mean that in a good way...

Remember that part in 'Fear and Loathing' where he's walking away and says "the room looked like the site of a failed experiment involving whiskey and gorillas"

FB- Doug

This guy is brilliant! Even if he gets only one hundredth of his asking price, he succeeded in getting someone to pay him to haul away his scrap heap.

I didn't know no-longer made sailboats

no-longer sailboat - $1350 (caatskill ny)

Was a nice sail boat until it rolled and destroyed mast and ripped sails.

mast is gone, ripped sails and all other items still with boat.

Works well as a stable vessel for fishing and putting around with outboard.

Wonder what happened to it, maybe a wave hit it (chance in a million) Lucky it still has a front.

Not quite sure what to make of this one:

1##cutter #1900 28feet

3E13G13F45N75Ea5Had5917c9fc2adc4e1459.jp

There's some value in that trailer.

A Granson Cutter I believe. They had a fleet of charter powerboats in the area; maybe the early 70's. Awful boats and crappy build. They had two big windows either side and judging by the attempt to fill one of those windows in was the idea. Must of leaked like sieves as big windows and flimsy fiberglass doesn't work.

1##cutter #1900 28feet

A Granson Cutter I believe. They had a fleet of charter powerboats in the area; maybe the early 70's. Awful boats and crappy build. They had two big windows either side and judging by the attempt to fill one of those windows in was the idea. Must of leaked like sieves as big windows and flimsy fiberglass doesn't work.

I couldn't find the name of the boat and a google search does not find it under Granson Cutter. I do remember seeing one of these in Poulsbo a couple years ago. They look a little ungainly with the big windows and high foredeck but, to be fair, it looked like a honest runabout for a family to vacation on.

The one I saw in Poulsbo looked much, much better than this.

1##cutter #1900 28feet

Maybe that's the one they took across the Atlantic.

I just noticed the life rings on the bridge. Methinks those are a bad sign when spotted on a boat- kinda like the white "Captains" hat.

Anyone ever used one of those in earnest, not to try and hit someone on the head and knock them out?

1##cutter #1900 28feet

I couldn't find the name of the boat and a google search does not find it under Granson Cutter. I do remember seeing one of these in Poulsbo a couple years ago. They look a little ungainly with the big windows and high foredeck but, to be fair, it looked like a honest runabout for a family to vacation on.

They were marketed as simply Cutter and they really did take one across the Atlantic as a marketing stunt.

Retrieving the anchor must have been fun and one sure wouldn't want to hop off the foredeck onto the dock.

1##cutter #1900 28feet

They were marketed as simply Cutter and they really did take one across the Atlantic as a marketing stunt.

Retrieving the anchor must have been fun and one sure wouldn't want to hop off the foredeck onto the dock.

Now I remember Atlantic crossing bit. I think the boats were owned by a charter company Granson's hence you want find it on Google. Company dead and buried a very long time ago.

I think my mother chartered one once ( don't laugh - she was the daughter of a tug captain and owned 3 powerboats in her life time). It seems to me they were very tippy canoes and it's all coming back to me that they almost put the windows in a big roll. How they did a crossing like that who know - must be BS.

1##cutter #1900 28feet

Maybe that's the one they took across the Atlantic.

I just noticed the life rings on the bridge. Methinks those are a bad sign when spotted on a boat- kinda like the white "Captains" hat.

Anyone ever used one of those in earnest, not to try and hit someone on the head and knock them out?

Unfortunately, they are still legally required in Canada for any boat over 12 metres (about 40') in length. They do work better than most things if you have to throw them upwind into a strong wind. They will likely knock the person you are trying to rescue unconscious though if your aim is too good. The larger ones have to weigh at least 5 lbs or so and can can weigh as much as 13 or 14 lbs. They also have to be fire resistant, among other things...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-equipment-1140.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/tp7325e.pdf

1##cutter #1900 28feet

I couldn't find the name of the boat and a google search does not find it under Granson Cutter. .

In 1976 they were just "Cutter", a Division of Cargile Inc in Nashville, TN. Advertized as "Ocean Proven".

He is correct. I have one of these and they work on gas or diesel ;)

Here's a guy who really knows what he's selling. Great deal as long as you have the right kind of ignition system on your diesel.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3819909775.html

What sort of gas engine would use a tach that only goes to 4K? That's getting pretty short even for diesels nowadays. And why is he selling it as a diesel tach

Here's a guy who really knows what he's selling. Great deal as long as you have the right kind of ignition system on your diesel.

What sort of gas engine would use a tach that only goes to 4K? That's getting pretty short even for diesels nowadays. And why is he selling it as a diesel tach

It would work fine for an Atomic-4, which usually only gets up to 2400 RPMs unless mated to reduction gears.

Actually, I think you get them up to around 3,000 with an Indigo prop.

Let me check with Hike, Bitches Mobile Shipwrights & Rigging Co. and I'll get back to you with some hard numbers.

It would work fine for an Atomic-4, which usually only gets up to 2400 RPMs unless mated to reduction gears.

Let me check with Hike, Bitches Mobile Shipwrights & Rigging Co. and I'll get back to you with some hard numbers.

Wait...it'll work on a 5 cylinder engine too?

My Atomic 4 redlines at 3600 RPM ;)

The tach can read the AC tap of an alternator - how diesels usually run the tach - or ignition pulses. If it has the same calibration settings mine does it could likely do a variety of cylinder counts.

Mine goes to 4K. I kind of like it when all of the needles point straight up in the middle at normal cruising speed. That way you don't have to actually think when glancing at the gauges. ;)

Holy crap we had one of those as our crash boat in Junior sailing when I was a kid.... WOW!!!!! :blink:

There was once a powerboat designer named Lindsey Lord (sp). That odd boat could be his work. I'll bet Jose knows.

I believe he was Phil Bolger's first mentor. HIs second was John Hacker. In some ways, Bolger was more of a powerboat designer than sailboat designer.

One of Lord's boats: http://tinyurl.com/nemqotm

Not gonna mock this one too much, as it looks like a pretty well-kept old Tanzer, but out of seven photos, he couldn't take ONE that shows what the boat actually looks like?

One shot of the companionway and the rest are interior

Aside from the porta-potti I really like that interior.

That may have been the best way to present that boat. Some of the Tanzers are a bit funky looking .

b-taz8-5.gif

It takes a special kind of nut, person to see the promise in a boat like that.

Well, it -could- be made into quite a nice boat. Of course, anybody who actually has the skills to do so already knows it would be easier & cheaper to build a new Comet from scratch, but then you wouldn't have the authentic old-school canvas sails and the trailer.

Our junior sailing group was offered an old Comet which had been 'restored' by a real butcher, using chipboard & liquid nails. ANd it had sat for a couple years between the time he did the butchery and the time his wife made him get it out of the back yard, so the original rotten wood had some time to infect the new. It wasn't even fit for firewood, and he didn't want to give us the trailer which was a slightly modified garden trailer. We were polite when we turned him down but he was still pissed off enough that he bad-mouths us to anybody who will listen, how we ripped him off by not giving him a huge tax deduction for taking his boat to the dump for him.

A shame really. Comets are nice boats, surprisingly fast.

FB- Doug

"Honey, if'n I take those old brackets off'a the trailer, I'm sure I can get fitty bucks on Craigslist if I post them in the boating section. Clean em up first? Naaaaaa."

Aluminum Mounting Brackets - $50 (Whidbey Is., WA)
3I83Fc3Jb5G65Ed5Mcd5o168c89b29e7e1f44.jp3K63F73H45Ed5K75F3d5o76cf9a65e40f1bb0.jp3M63J73Ne5If5Fe5Mfd5o9f699ab373431a50.jp
3K63F73H45Ed5K75F3d5o76cf9a65e40f1bb0.jp
Aluminum Mounting Bracket - Hydrolic Motor - $60.00 obo

Aluminum Mounting Bracket - Pulley Mount - $50.00 obo

I think I lived next to her when the original owner had her back in the late 1980s He was gung ho on the junk rig sails as the best thing since sliced bread

I'm not mocking this. It's interesting that he thinks, "I have developed, what I believe, to be one of the finest examples of a cruising pilothouse motorsailer in the Puget Sound."

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3805246209.html

Aluminum Cruising Motorsailer - $143500 (Vashon Island)
3E13G73H55G35Kf5F1d5effa665ab50091099.jp
I have developed, what I believe, to be one of the finest examples of a cruising pilothouse motorsailer in the Puget Sound. I started with a Colvin Gazelle, junk rigged, professionally built in BC in Aluminum. The previous owner paid a master Boatwright in Port Townsend to install a pilot house, two steering stations, bullet proof aluminum hatch covers, a new Lugger engine, two 100 gallon fuel tanks and effectively a new engine room. New shaft, dripless shaft seal, new cutlass bearing with a Max 18" three blade prop.

I gutted the forward area of the boat back to aluminum, had foam sprayed in to the transverse frames (roughly 4" of foam total) then went to work refitting and redesigning the entire boat. The floors are teak and maple (I could not for the life of me find holly), no veneer here. The sidewalls and overhead are 6" T&G Doug fir (it is absolutely spectacular), the galley table is Alaska yellow cedar and galley counters Western Red Cedar. Cedar steps. I sound insulated against the engine room (and the engine room is already completely soundproofed). The pilot house interior is Western Red Cedar.

The electrical system is exquisite in all ways and top of the line. The plumbing is pex, hot and cold pressure, power saltwater to the sink (and anchor washdown), 75 gallons of fresh water. A skipper head plumbed to the fresh water with Sealands fancy holding tank assembly with all the bells and whistles. Custom designed and built 12 volt refrigerator with roughly 6" of foam insulation. Three burner propane stove. I couldn't find the sinks that I wanted so I built them out of wood. When you are in this boat you are sure you're in a wooden boat at the Port Townsend wooden boat show. The boat is dry with zero smells.

Outside I pulled everything, all portholes and anything bolted down, sandblasted and six coats of epoxy and paint. I am repainting the topsides this summer which needs done every four or five years and can be accomplished in a couple of days. When I want to clean the boat I pressure wash it every three months or so. It is rough and tumble, very fishing boat looking as a metal boat and indestructible. This is a northwest passage type of boat, the 200 gallons of fuel would take it far afield without needing fuel.

The junk rig sails beautifully even in light winds, is nothing short of beautiful under sail and the original sails are in outstanding shape with brand new sail covers. I have redesigned all sail handling lines back to the cockpit area and it works beautifully.

A custom bulletproof anchoring system, 225' of 5/16" high test chain with a spool of 5/8"nylon for the second anchor or to add to the chain. A 55# Ronca anchor with salt water washdown and a Tiger 555 windlass. The second anchor is a Fortress.

The side decks on the boat are huge which equals safe (with new safety lines). I keep two standup paddle boards on deck that do not get in the way of sailing the boat if I want to take them with me. A CLC Eastport Nesting Pram hangs off the davits in the back with spoon paddles.

Garmin Electronics/radar, Icom VHF with the fancy handheld forward. A W-H autopilot installed in the pilothouse with a handheld for the outside helm. The ITR heat cost almost $6000 for the parts alone (don't believe what they say at the boat show). At the dock I have a stainless 120 volt King heater.

I have roughly $63,000 of invoices. About 500 hours of day labor for the endless tasks and repetitive work needed to complete a project like this, otherwise I did everything.

I had more fun building/remodeling this boat than anything I have ever built before. It was like my Masters thesis. My first career was as a car mechanic, second career was a short stint in the Merchant Marine and my third and main career as a carpenter. I am real good with my hands and it shows in the boat. Nine years in the making. My mottos were beautiful, form follows function, bulletproof and I love wood on the inside only. There is no varnish to keep up on this boat.

If you wish to go sailing, call me. I sail on Mondays and Tuesdays, maybe Saturday if my wife doesn't have plans for me.

$143,500 and worth every penny of it.

I'm pretty sure I watched, from my house, that junk try to beat up the Sound one afternoon. There it was hour after hour in the same spot. Damn impressive.

I'm pretty sure I watched, from my house, that junk try to beat up the Sound one afternoon. There it was hour after hour in the same spot. Damn impressive.

Are you talking about the rig or the whole boat?

Here's one in New Westminster, on the Fraser river, so, fresh water sailed......

Already posted, but thanks for playing.

Just for those who couldn't figure it out, the title for this ad is 'SAILBOAT'

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/boa/3824417548.html

How much did these things cost new? not as much as $499 I bet, although the custom Popeye picture on the sail must be a collector's item.

FB- Doug

sailing instructions included. That has to be a $479 value.