blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

If you're asking $300k for a boat, do you think a prospective buyer will be intrigued by pictures of random lengths of old line?

4847534_20141017134625681_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

4847534_20141017134428074_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Joubert-Daimien-II-2779235/Vancouver/Canada#.VFEOGhawUQM

It might be semi-custom, but was not even semi-clean when the broker showed up to take pictures. I would have left and asked the owner to call me when it was presentable.

what a crappy business website. how much? can you buy the white pieces for mounting cross beams? can you buy the deck frame? the products page says "buy your expandacraft" and "we have many seating options" but absolutely non are listed. do the white cross beams come with the purchase? there is no online store, there isn't even a pdf brochure or a price or a parts list. they have a website that actually won't allow you to buy their product.

My only problem is I don't have space to carry it on deck, and don't want to tow it except in fairly protected waters. Probably end up with an inflatable, but would like to avoid an OB.

http://www.expandacraft.com/

Pretty neat boats. I heard a rumor that some old guys in Punta Gorda who like really light boats might build something similar, but not out of rotomolded plastic. You hear stuff. ;)

http://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/4735814761.html

Wow...just wow.

I can't figure out exactly what happened...sounds like the grandson went to jail for not having a masthead/steaming light on his sailboat. I find that hard to believe...maybe it was the 50 lbs of crack found on the boat when they were stopped for not having the proper lights?

If you're asking $300k for a boat, do you think a prospective buyer will be intrigued by pictures of random lengths of old line?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Joubert-Daimien-II-2779235/Vancouver/Canada#.VFEOGhawUQM

It might be semi-custom, but was not even semi-clean when the broker showed up to take pictures. I would have left and asked the owner to call me when it was presentable.

$300K for a 40 Y.O. steel boat and they can't even be bothered to tidy it up before the ad pics?

Dreamers. If that boat was new out of the box perfect it would be overpriced. I'd bet they don't even get lookie loos

http://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/4735814761.html

Wow...just wow.

I can't figure out exactly what happened...sounds like the grandson went to jail for not having a masthead/steaming light on his sailboat. I find that hard to believe...maybe it was the 50 lbs of crack found on the boat when they were stopped for not having the proper lights?

What is this I don't even...

Is there an angry retard to English translator handy?

Mate is selling his Santana 35.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/sail-boats/santana-35/1060437145

He had a more serious add but he is getting a lot more views with this one.

The best part of his very good ad is a piece that should be added to every boat for sale ad ever:

Tire Kickers and Dreamers. I know how to kick a tire and how to dream, but I also know how to live out my dreams. Let me know you are one before. I will answer all your questions BUT, if you want to see the boat and just hang out and have no intention of buying this boat, there is a catch. Bring a 6 pack of Ballast Point Beer. You can buy it before you get to the boat at the BWS. This lets us all be honest with each other right from the beginning.

The best part of his very good ad is a piece that should be added to every boat for sale ad ever:

Tire Kickers and Dreamers. I know how to kick a tire and how to dream, but I also know how to live out my dreams. Let me know you are one before. I will answer all your questions BUT, if you want to see the boat and just hang out and have no intention of buying this boat, there is a catch. Bring a 6 pack of Ballast Point Beer. You can buy it before you get to the boat at the BWS. This lets us all be honest with each other right from the beginning.

This is brilliant and honest.

what a crappy business website. how much? can you buy the white pieces for mounting cross beams? can you buy the deck frame? the products page says "buy your expandacraft" and "we have many seating options" but absolutely non are listed. do the white cross beams come with the purchase? there is no online store, there isn't even a pdf brochure or a price or a parts list. they have a website that actually won't allow you to buy their product.

My only problem is I don't have space to carry it on deck, and don't want to tow it except in fairly protected waters. Probably end up with an inflatable, but would like to avoid an OB.

http://www.expandacraft.com/

Pretty neat boats. I heard a rumor that some old guys in Punta Gorda who like really light boats might build something similar, but not out of rotomolded plastic. You hear stuff. ;)

Yeah, the site is lame. Their Facebook presence is actually better than their site, with lots of pics and some videos.

It's like they'll just let anyone make a website these daze. Even people crazy enough to try to sell boats for profit!

It's the details that win the awards on this thread, like here, not removing the leaves before you take the photo: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/4726508844.html At least the price is right.

This was my free boat. Actually, I paid $75.00 for it and ended up giving it away.

It was a Luger Leeward. Enjoy.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107828655287581037094/albums/5853910064745547169

What's not to like there :mellow:

$300K for a 40 Y.O. steel boat and they can't even be bothered to tidy it up before the ad pics?

Dreamers. If that boat was new out of the box perfect it would be overpriced. I'd bet they don't even get lookie loos

I know Kevin (he has the listing for my boat). I'm very surprised that he took this listing. However, as the broker, there isn't much he can do if the owner won't listen to his advice and clean up the boat for pictures. I can't believe that there isn't at least one picture showing the boat from a distance.

This is brilliant and honest.

After he made this new add, he sold the boat in 2 days. The add was a HUGE success. The old technical add got little interest in several months.

I was sitting at our inner city Brisbane dock when a young guy with a skateboard pulled up. Thought he was having a rest. My mate who was selling the boat turned up and I was chatting with him. I must have used his name when the skateboarder realised that it was the guy selling the boat. Obviously he was keen on the boat as he did not bring any beer. Mate said he had 3 more people looking at it that day (which he did), so the fella put down a deposit right after looking at the boat.

I know Kevin (he has the listing for my boat). I'm very surprised that he took this listing. However, as the broker, there isn't much he can do if the owner won't listen to his advice and clean up the boat for pictures. I can't believe that there isn't at least one picture showing the boat from a distance.

Sure there is. You leave and ask him to call when the boat is presentable.

If I did not want to do that, I'd have at least moved some clutter before clicking the shutter. I did a lot of that as a broker, but at some point, the sheer volume of stuff would make me pass the job back to the owner, where it belongs.

This boat is waaaay past that point.

The price seems a little high but...what the hell.

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/boa/4737784186.html

45 Foot Sailboat for sale - $500 (Slip # 5 Port of New Iberia)

00k0k_8V9Q1PfMnnf_600x450.jpg
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: salvagesize / dimensions: 11 x 45

I have a custom built sailboat for sale. It's 45 foot overall , a blue water boat. It's in slip # 5 at the Port of New Iberia. Slip fee is paid through the end of this year. It is a fiberglass hull with a wood deck. The wood deck is rotten. I've owned it for over ten years. I was going to replace the deck and live on it when I retired but it's Just not going to happen. It has anodized aluminum masts & stainless steel rigging. It has a 36 hp Volvo Diesel that ran well when the boat was docked ten years ago. It comes with a 10 foot flat bottom boat I used for a dingy. There is lots of small stuff on the boat , too much to list. The object here is to get the boat into the hands do someone who can & will fix it up and use it not to make money selling the boat. Please go look at it before you make an offer. First offer over five hundred bucks who actually will pay is going to get a extraordinary deal. It is a Federally Registered boat. I will provide a notarized bill of sale & the registeration paper work in my name. There are no Leins on the boat and I am the sole owner. I know this sounds like a scam but it is not, just an old man with a old boat & the boat will be sold.

That's a good looking boat - hope it goes to a good home.

Racing or cruising, a lot of people buy too much boat. I advise people, rather than buy the biggest boat you can afford the purchase of, buy the smallest boat that can serve your needs 95% of the time. Charter the remaining 5%. Cheaper in the long run.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carbrook/sail-boats/29ft-sailing-ketch/1052459717

Wooden & Fibreglass constructioon. All rigging included. Needs work - uncompleted project, was a champion in its day but has minor dry rot. Potential $70-80,000 value.

I especially like that he knows what the value of the ugly ply shitheap will be after rebuild so exactly :) :) No, no not $60k, 70-80 !!

If it was already rebuilt I probably wouldn't give him the $4k asking price...

Edit: I've just re-read his ad and $70 potential value is about correct.

post-72500-0-67750400-1414736107_thumb.jpg

An $80K plywood 29' sailboat. :rolleyes:

Are there really people that stupid?

Polyester over plywood ... we know better now. He won't find a buyer at $400. This is a good example of when free is too much.

It has an offset companionway too.

Gumtree needs a filter on it for "Remove items for gullible fools".

"NO Silly offers!", wow, what is a silly offer for wet painted firewood in a difficult to reach location?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rockingham/sail-boats/old-girl-34-ft-ketch-for-sale-again/1060673384

Great old boat, made of Jarrah, gutted inside, dry, the inboard Diesel engine will need replacing.
Ready for someone who wants to get into a great project!
No, it does not come with a mooring!
No, I will not accept part payments!
NO Silly offers!
Feel free to enquire if that sounds like what you are after. Cheers

It's so dry the paint has lifted, the fastenings have gone dusty and the timber has discoloured.

post-72500-0-63797600-1414792648_thumb.jpg

It's in Western Australia, clearly a pretty dry area for it to still be floating…

post-72500-0-81672200-1414793649_thumb.jpg

Once upon a time, she was a pretty cute boat.

post-72500-0-89624200-1414792752_thumb.jpg

I like the boat.

The price is too high.

The price probably covers materials plus a heartbreakingly low rate of pay for what appears to be a skilled worker.

This is why it's darn hard to make money selling boats. Skilled people will do it just for the love of it. No business plan can really compete with that.

eBay not Craigslist, but...

2015 Wharram Design Tangaora Classic 36
Boat is located in Bacliff, Tx...Shipping would be Buyers responsibly. Boat movers are available in area. Only 6 miles from boat yard with travel lift for launch....

Bill of Sale upon Purchase...
I am 4th owner of this project. Built quality is good work boat finish...Boat can be inspected in Balcliff.

Boat is covered for weather protection...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wharram-Sail-Catamaran-Tanagora-A-Project-Boat-/111504095933?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f6297abd&item=111504095933&pt=Sailboats

Four owners down, and looking for the fifth! It's sad to see so many dreams go down the drain.

post-106106-0-24406200-1415033287_thumb.png

I like it, great stable fishing platform.

I imagine it wouldn't point very well with windage and no boards but hey the 9.9 will make it point ok.

Only weird thing to me is it looks like the wheel is the only steering, which would be strange under sail.

Boat is located in Bacliff, Tx...Shipping would be Buyers responsibly. Boat movers are available in area. Only 6 miles from boat yard with travel lift for launch....

Bill of Sale upon Purchase... I am 4th owner of this project. Built quality is good work boat finish...Boat can be inspected in Balcliff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wharram-Sail-Catamaran-Tanagora-A-Project-Boat-/111504095933?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f6297abd&item=111504095933&pt=Sailboats

Four owners down, and looking for the fifth! It's sad to see so many dreams go down the drain.

Those Wharram cats seemed to attract a following very similar to ferro boats - underfunded and often underskilled dreamers and hippies. I've seen a number of them with debarked tree trunk masts and so forth.

Bill of Sale upon Purchase... I am 4th owner of this project. Built quality is good work boat finish...Boat can be inspected in Balcliff.

Those Wharram cats seemed to attract a following very similar to ferro boats - underfunded and often underskilled dreamers and hippies. I've seen a number of them with debarked tree trunk masts and so forth.

I now have to interrupt this with 2 short stories. I built a Wharram Hinamoa, 23'. In a boatyard in Galveston, Tx. There were two other Wharrams abuilding there. One was the 51' footer, and the other 44+ or something. The larger boat was owned by a middle-aged gay couple who had outfitted it from scratch by shoplifting in Houston and Galveston.

The other story was of Roland, my next-door neighbor in the Galveston yard. He built the 40 something footer by himself. And screwed and glued the whole thing together. Roland was a guy who knew it all. He hammered in the screws ("The slots are for getting them out"), and used straight old boatyard polyester for glue.

Never saw the big boat after launch and heard a rumor that Roland's had broken up in heavy seas. My ex and I sailed ours to Miami. Best trip I've ever been on. Mine wouldn't tack but I think they've fixed that by now.

Never heard of that? I've seen it done with drywall type screws - actually works pretty well for rough construction - concrete forms & so forth. You pound them in quick like a nail, they hold better than a nail and can be unscrewed with a gun for easy & clean disassembly.

Not the best technique or material for boatbuilding though. :rolleyes:

Wow, I learned something new and yet somehow feel my building skills have degraded.

Yeah, made me feel dirty just knowing there's someone out there still using slotted screws, even though he's using a hammer. I guess if you're not taking it apart, it doesn't matter what kind of screw head you use.

Never heard of that? I've seen it done with drywall type screws - actually works pretty well for rough construction - concrete forms & so forth. You pound them in quick like a nail, they hold better than a nail and can be unscrewed with a gun for easy & clean disassembly.

Not the best technique or material for boatbuilding though. :rolleyes:

I can see the reality show: "Sheetrockers Build Boats"

That fits the can't-tell-me-nothin attitude as well.

FB- Doug

He thought I was wasting money on WEST epoxy. Like I mentioned, he knew everything.

Please, please, please, ignore his reference to Fox News at the end of this (there are people like this on the other side of the political spectrum too). I'm not posting this here for a political discussion on this election day. However, it does point out how Dunning's research applies here and how well Cleese explains the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The wiki on the effect and on illusionary superiority.

"Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

1. fail to recognize their own lack of skill;
  2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.[5]

Dunning has since drawn an analogy ("the anosognosia of everyday life")[1][6] with a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of or denies the existence of the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis.

If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

—David Dunning[7]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Comes down to the difference between ignorance and stupidity.

The two words describe very different conditions but are used almost interchangeably these days.

You can fix ignorance with education or training.

You can't fix stupid.

The seller seems very upfront, and would probably be fun to have a beer with, but this one gave me the shudders:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/4745399200.html

80' long wooden boat with a 1939 engine. It's like purposefully sticking your foot in a bear trap.

My pal Special Ed used to have a T shirt that read "Don't you wish stupidity was painful?"

Stupidity is often painful it is just that some people are too stupid to make the connection. Pain has taught me a lot of things although I do keep getting married.

The seller seems very upfront, and would probably be fun to have a beer with, but this one gave me the shudders:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/4745399200.html

80' long wooden boat with a 1939 engine. It's like purposefully sticking your foot in a bear trap.

So this guy was unable to operate the boat profitably enough to keep her up, now that she's on the verge of sinking, he expects someone else to be able to do it? And to pay him?

He asks if stranger things have happened on craigslist. I'm sure some very strange things go on, but the answer to his question is no.

Unless maybe someone dares that Dirty30 guy to do it...

I can't imagine how much to bring that boat back to life. Certainly cheaper to buy something already sorted.

edit: the math is very interesting. We just bought a 50'er that's really sorted at a decent price. we looked at a sistership and determined that if they gave it to us, it would STILL cost more than the one that was fully sorted. That boat wasn't a dumpster queen, but she may end up that way unless she finds an owner who wants to save her.

I suppose that means a couple things:

If you're going to sell, don't spend any money spiffing it up as you won't get good value for it

If you're going to buy, do the math really well up front.

I don't think it's all that sad nor mockworthy.

If you want to start from hull, motor, and spars. Some like to do their own sorting, though I agree it's a more costly route.

The price doesn't seem too crazy. Not that it really matters. The restoration cost would dwarf the purchase price.

In Heaths book he described that boat as being very difficult to sail - had a razor thin groove apparently - "Showed flashes of speed" were his words IIRC. When you consider he had a very tight, experienced crew that had been with him through several boats it says something about the basic design. He didn't make the British AC team with it either - first time he missed since he bought his first big boat.

ebay not CL, remarkable only because of this claim....

This boat belonged to Taylor Newell, the naval architect who designed this and other Cheoy Lee sailboats.

Legit or BS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cheoy-Lee-Newell-Cadet-27-Sailboat-designers-personal-boat-/131340918998?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e948760d6&item=131340918998&pt=Sailboats

ebay not CL, remarkable only because of this claim....

This boat belonged to Taylor Newell, the naval architect who designed this and other Cheoy Lee sailboats.

Legit or BS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cheoy-Lee-Newell-Cadet-27-Sailboat-designers-personal-boat-/131340918998?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e948760d6&item=131340918998&pt=Sailboats

It will be interesting to see what the final selling price is for this boat.

There is another Cadet for sale in good shape in Annapolis for $11,900

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=2660006&checked_boats=2660006&hosturl=yachtview&&ywo=yachtview&&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=1721&url=

I have never heard of Taylor Newell and he is not in the ENCYCLOPEDIA OF YACHT DESIGNERS. There are few I don't know. I';m eager to learn more about him.

Those little Cheoy's are pretty boats but a hell of a lot of work to keep all that wood looking good. There's what appears to be a nice one here, out for the winter in Race Rock.

I imagine they sail rather sedately - huge amount of wetted surface.

Not just for her age - this shot was the '77 Transpac. They have nearly sailed her under like an old tea clipper.

post-95343-0-62316500-1415248015_thumb.jpg

I would imagine for a mere 100K or so you could make the original boat look like that.

I admire ... the raised companionway? Maybe the visibility of the giant running lights on the cabinsides? The, um, distinctiveness of the wraparound window? The seller's optimism that someone might dispose of this for him AND give him money? Gotta be something admirable.

Link

00H0H_bQVQeZ4iUp5_600x450.jpg

00s0s_5CQtp4IJyhM_600x450.jpg

That one defied all my attempts at admiration, but I think it needs a good mocking.

no engine, needs TLC

00k0k_5tKjPEpaRJm_600x450.jpg

How about, needs a rudder? Or two? And a place to put it/them?

And a bath. Or just a backhoe, chainsaw, and dumpster.

I admire ... the raised companionway? Maybe the visibility of the giant running lights on the cabinsides? The, um, distinctiveness of the wraparound window? The seller's optimism that someone might dispose of this for him AND give him money? Gotta be something admirable.

Link

That one defied all my attempts at admiration, but I think it needs a good mocking.

no engine, needs TLC

I see boats like this and I wonder how the hell they made it across the pond? Someone certainly didn't pay to ship it over did they?

Someone couldn't of carried this "line" of boats in hopes that it was the next big thing???

This guy is selling a condo.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4749926249.html

From the ad:

Even if you don't know anything about boats, who cares. It's affordable living, and you end up owning something that's much more valuable then your actual purchase price.

00O0O_aXVBHu5a3zP_600x450.jpg

There's a guy in Florida who might be interested.

He better count on the purchaser not knowing anything about boats if he wants to sell that financial nightmare.

Link

no engine, needs

TLC

I see boats like this and I wonder how the hell they made it across the pond? Someone certainly didn't pay to ship it over did they?

Well if they didn't, that means it came over on its own bottom and maybe we should change our opinions of it.

My vote is for the deck of a freighter.

Wonder if that wrap around windshield is from a 50's car? Looks too good to be ancient plexi and I can't imagine finding an OEM plastic replacement. Having one made custom would cost 10X what that boat will ever be worth.

Even the trailer fenders are unusual.

It would be a shame to put a modern outboard and cowling on this boat.

This guy is selling a condo.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4749926249.html

From the ad:

Even if you don't know anything about boats, who cares. It's affordable living, and you end up owning something that's much more valuable then your actual purchase price.

00O0O_aXVBHu5a3zP_600x450.jpg

You've got to admire the kayak re-purposed as a fender.

some lines to this old girl, not admirable enough to make the other thread

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4753266717.html

That belongs in a museum. With the trailer. The ad says no trailer.

Pretty soon, people will start looking at a boat I played with as a kid and saying, "That belongs in a museum."

I was in a consignment store a couple of years ago and saw the exact same pair of ice skates I had as a 12 Y.O. - the sign said "Vintage Skates".

I immediately lodged a complaint with the front desk. :angry:

You qould need something like this as a tow vehicle

1957_Lincoln_Premiere_four-door_Landau.j

I am not sure about sad. *IF* the hull does not need work and the engine is good, you have a 44 foot boat that can get from A to B burning about 1 GPH. You can slowly rehab the rig and interior and the boat won't be rotting, blistering, or core-saturating while you do the work. Besides for that, I bet $10K in hundred dollar bills would get that boat.

OTOH if you have $100K or access to it and you value time over money, just buy a working boat and call it a day ;)

It's aluminium so "blistering & core-saturating" are not really factors. Galvanics, however, could be.

I considered a glass Peterson that size and (probably) condition but decided it was just too much. The big problem I'd have with an alloy project is that I can't weld alloy. Pretty well any dummy can do basic glass work with a little studying and practice. If you are unable to do basic structural work on a project boat it is too expensive to even consider.

I am not sure about sad. *IF* the hull does not need work and the engine is good, you have a 44 foot boat that can get from A to B burning about 1 GPH. You can slowly rehab the rig and interior and the boat won't be rotting, blistering, or core-saturating while you do the work. Besides for that, I bet $10K in hundred dollar bills would get that boat.

OTOH if you have $100K or access to it and you value time over money, just buy a working boat and call it a day ;)

What are the odds that the hull doesn't need work? $20k for this boat is dreaming, even if it used to be MORNING CLOUD. At this point, it's only real worth is the scrap value.

That one goes on the long list of "Boats I Would Not Accept For Free."

FB- Doug

Anything more than cosmetic hull work would turn that boat into scrap value. Given the value of aluminum and lead, that might be a fair amount plus a good engine to sell. I bet there is over $10K in salvage value there if you don't count your time to take it apart.

What are the odds that the hull doesn't need work? $20k for this boat is dreaming, even if it used to be MORNING CLOUD. At this point, it's only real worth is the scrap value.

That one goes on the long list of "Boats I Would Not Accept For Free."

FB- Doug

Just the thing that you need for the remake of McHale's Navy.

Ultimate Trawler Yacht

this is a "fixer upper", but a super buy

1985? That things had a hard life. Was once a pretty good looking little ship.

You'd need a PT for a remake of McHale.