blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Not a mock - looks like an incredible deal - Eichenlaub hasn't been gone long enough for his personal boat to have degraded to junk. If it was glass I'd already be on the ferry over.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Fire-Sale-Big-Aluminum-Race-Boat-Leaving-country-Best-offer-By-Saturday_23457777

If you don't mind, i will mock the ad.

Could it give any less information? I don't know the length, beam, draft, power, nor what "lots of sails" might include, which is important for a race boat. One pic? If your asking price has five figures, I want a few details and some pics. I don't care how nice and well known the boat.

Not a mock - looks like an incredible deal - Eichenlaub hasn't been gone long enough for his personal boat to have degraded to junk. If it was glass I'd already be on the ferry over.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Fire-Sale-Big-Aluminum-Race-Boat-Leaving-country-Best-offer-By-Saturday_23457777

Could it give any less information? I don't know the length, beam, draft, power, nor what "lots of sails" might include, which is important for a race boat. One pic? If your asking price has five figures, I want a few details and some pics. I don't care how nice and well known the boat.

Ask Woody about the boat. One of the pics they used has his watermark - http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/42467

Beautiful looking boat for $8K if you can see past the horrid finish. Better read the fine print though.

She will be placed in the water upside down and towed a short distance out to sea for further filming work over a 3 to 5 x day period. On completion she will be towed back to the beach, righted and water pumped out.

So can we expect a movie about John Glennie and Rose-Noelle?

342008277.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-802370836.htm

Ask Woody about the boat. One of the pics they used has his watermark - http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/42467

Wow, I didn't think of that angle.

That ad is so incredibly bad that asking WOODY of all people might result in my obtaining more information.

Thanks for the upgrade to my mocking effort!

I've always been an admirer of Lock Crowther trimarans, especially, the Buccaneer series, and particularly the 40 foot version.

That was a sad sight to see. Not only for it in it's present condition, but what they're going to do to it next.

Hopefully, someone will buy, and restore it.

Wow. Why do people who build ugly boats need to paint them in horrible colours? A "modified" Bolger sounds very scary.

On the bright side, it does have a "Hight Trust" outboard motor. On a 39-footer. B)

main.jpg

My eyeballs started rotting away by looking at that....

Wow. Why do people who build ugly boats need to paint them in horrible colours? A "modified" Bolger sounds very scary.

On the bright side, it does have a "Hight Trust" outboard motor. On a 39-footer. B)

main.jpg

A lack of taste extends to everything aesthetic. If the owner had any idea about colour he never would have built a boat that ugly.

A Bolger 39' would probably do just fine with an outboard.

I particularly like the "oceanic capacity" bit - a real Cape Horner that one.

I couldn't decide. That made me think of either this

Spirit_of_America_-_Staten_Island_Ferry.

Or that:

Regular-size-school-bus.jpg

However....

for $4,500 you could have one hell of a summer on the chesapeak in one of these

the locals would laugh

but fek em

shallow sailing with full standing headroom

what is not to like?

sell it again at the end of the season for $3,000

D

However....

for $4,500 you could have one hell of a summer on the chesapeak in one of these

the locals would laugh

but fek em

shallow sailing with full standing headroom

what is not to like?

sell it again at the end of the season for $3,000

D

That's the way to look at it.

I had some friends who wanted to see the USA. They looked at all kinds of options, from flying, to motorcycles.

They settled on a nicely sorted out VW Westy. They paid about 6K for it. They did some minor upgrades and took off. Did it break down? Yes, sometimes. Could they fix it easily? Yes.

They returned after two years after saving scads of money and sold the West for....guess....6K.

Were they traveling in a slow and ungainly Westy? Yes. Did some people mock them? Yes. Did they care?

That is the key.

"I particularly like the "oceanic capacity" bit - a real Cape Horner that one."

The original Bolger AS-39 Loose Moose II made an uneventful passage from Europe to the Carribean. I don't the either Bolger or the owner/builders would have suggested it was fit for the Horn.

The yellow boat has a lot of non-Bolger top hamper. The box boats tend to look good in strong colors, but that yellow is hideous.

^^^^We digress, but, I did the same thing in OZ in 1981. Bought a Falcon station wagon, lived in it in the caravan parks for 3 months (I was a hard-core surfer back then. Stupidly, I passed on an opportunity to meet Shotover in Cairns to go sailing. I thought I would miss too much surf), sold it for more than I bought it for. Good times.

That's just a rehash of the European "Hippie Trail" back in the late 60's & early 70's. Fly to Europe, buy a cheap vehicle from someone heading home, tour until you're done & sell it to the next one.

You guys suck. That Bolger should be in the Admiration thread.

That's one of those boats where you'd like to meet the owner and ask what they were thinking.

Bolgers, good to the last drop!

You guys suck. That Bolger should be in the Admiration thread.

It's a fucked-up Bolger. It should be in an amusement park somewhere.

0' Amateur construction Bolger As 39 Modified

40'
8'
2'
Outside United States
$4,500
clear.gif
Description: Sailboat Bolger AS39 Construction meranti plywood and fiberglass. Fully equipped. Gaff rig. Bottom steel plate. Oceanic capacity. Can be beached. 20 hp outboard motor Hight Trust, can bring the boat to 8 knots. Need renovations and repairs, after 4 years on dry dock. Currently in Caraquet, NB, Canada. Other information available, please contact us.

Amateur construction and serious mods. What could possibly go wrong? Wonder what Phil thinks about the plate steel bottom?

Image2.jpg

Not mocking any CL boats but rather the people selling the fuckers! I can't believe how clueless and lazy some of these vendors are. I'm taking a trip to the island this weekend to check out boats - money in my pocket and they know it. This trip is expensive - probably more than $500 all told and two of them can't even make the time on a weekend to meet me and show the boat. These are boats that have been listed on CL for a LONG time too. Add to that a broker for another who doesn't even bother to return a call.

Tomorrow I'm looking at one here - another broker and it's taken 2 weeks to set up a viewing.

Are these people stupid or lazy or so rich it doesn't matter or what? Don't they realize that the price keeps dropping the longer it sits on the market? Some of the ones I wanted to see have been on the market for a year or more.

When I sold my boat last month I was available at their convenience to show the boat and it sold in a month from first ad to sailing away - AND I doubled my money.

Maybe there is money to be made selling boats if you just put the tiniest amount of effort into it.

Two weeks to set up a broker viewing?

When I sold my boat last month I was available at their convenience to show the boat and it sold in a month from first ad to sailing away - AND I doubled my money.

Not everyone has the time to do that, and some of those who do shouldn't try it. That's why people hire a broker.

That and the fact that a customer should be able to call the broker and see the boat immediately. Any time. Yes, I mean I answered my phone on Christmas Eve and agreed to a showing the next morning. ANY time.

0' Amateur construction Bolger As 39 Modified

40'
8'
2'
Outside United States
$4,500
clear.gif

"Description: Sailboat Bolger AS39 Construction meranti plywood and fiberglass. Fully equipped. Gaff rig. Bottom steel plate. Oceanic capacity. Can be beached. 20 hp outboard motor Hight Trust, can bring the boat to 8 knots. Need renovations and repairs, after 4 years on dry dock. Currently in Caraquet, NB, Canada. Other information available, please contact us."

Amateur construction and serious mods. What could possibly go wrong? Wonder what Phil thinks about the plate steel bottom?

Outboard motor and a diesel stove. What a good combination.

The question is, if you were contemplating the building of Bolger's AS-39 for yourself, would you be better off buying this boat or starting from scratch. I suspect this boat offers a lot of value -if- that's what you want.

Or if you were looking for an absolute bottom-dollar live-aboard... assuming that "needs renovation and repair" is not a euphemism for "totally rotted and needs the hull replaced."

I have to say, as a life-long Bolger fan, this boat is not even slightly tempting

FB- Doug

Does this help you decide?

Anemone_a_sec.jpg

Got it now. Caterpillar Salesman.

I am a fan as well. These "improvements" are scary. My dad told me there was no good reason to own an ugly boat. The stock 39, and several other designs, are so fing practical that they become better-looking, tho I am a traditionalist at heart.

A broker pal just got rid of his Bertram twin gashog and bought a used AS39. The broker is a big fat guy and if that boat wasn't ultra roomy he wouldn't have gotten it. I haven't been aboard but seems cosmetically OK. The gas pricing was a factor but he really wanted to get back into coastal cruising since he's here in skimpy water paradise behind the banks and the Beaufort inlet is 2 miles at most.

Four years on the hard can't have helped anything. Might be more money in parting it out.

Bolger did things his way and so did that yellow boat owner. Admittedly, this idea can be taken too far and you end up with Flyin' Hawaiian. I just see a modified and uglified Bolger that the owner probably enjoyed very much.

Steel on the bottom? Uh, not for me, thanks, but I still like seeing a dream come true, even if it's not mine.

If I recall correctly, the yellow boat was built pretty much as drawn. What you see is the original "Loose Moose" design updated after Bolger married Susanne Altenberger and they started working as a team on new designs and they also rehashed some old ones. I had an old issue of Bolger's column in "Messing About in Boats" that described the whats and whys of the changes, but alas I gave away my entire stash of 15 years of back issues of MAIB along with about 100 back issues of WoodenBoat a few years ago.

As best I can recall, the story with the yellow boat was that it was built to a pretty high standard out of good materials by a couple in Montreal. They sold everything and were headed south by way of the St. Lawrence River. Early on in the voyage, they found themselves anchored out on a rocky lee shore in high winds. They were apparently secure but very uncomfortable so they made the fateful decision pull up anchor and move to a more secure location. The wind and waves overwhelmed them and they soon found themselves on the beach where the boat sustained at least moderate damage.

Tom is right, that one deserves to be in the Admiration thread.

SloopJonB show us what you end up with

You probably won't be able to shut me up. :D

Re the Santana 35 I posted that my mate sold. The new owner took delivery. Prop fell apart before they even got out of the river. (they knew it was sus and had a new one on order already). To his credit he sailed it from the Bris river to Bums bay Southport via Cape Moreton and knocked up this beauty of a job before they left.

He is only new to sailing. I think he is going to be fine.

10454321_909695285714825_551041357090907

Now that's what I call a Lash Up. :D

That's pretty impressive. I have one of hose outboards for my dinghy and it's no fire breather. Having it push around a 35 footer calls for a healthy dose of good judgement in the decision making process.

This catamaran has been violated ! Worth a look at the PNW rain cover ! Owner doesn't really want to sell...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4727839949.html

Where to start...where to start.

Hand me that cup of gasoline.

This catamaran has been violated ! Worth a look at the PNW rain cover ! Owner doesn't really want to sell...

That is the defining example of the phrase " It is a bit of a shed."

As for $15,000, put on Ebay with a starting bid of $1 I would be surprised if it made $150. And even more surprised if the winner turned up with the cash and took it away.

Here is Rimas' next boat: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4736736695.html

00J0J_e8MTdwefUXb_600x450.jpg

>

San Juan 24 (bare)

Bare boat- just hall and standing reag.

Boat ancord in Kits.

Make your winter progekt- an sail way you liket!!!

Snaggletooth is selling a boat?

Does it come with the shed roof?? OMG winner winner chicken dinner.... Just enough to keep the dream alive...wow

As for $15,000, put on Ebay with a starting bid of $1 I would be surprised if it made $150. And even more surprised if the winner turned up with the cash and took it away.

Does it come with the shed roof?? OMG winner winner chicken dinner.... Just enough to keep the dream alive...wow

bit of a shed

dig this boys

this is a cat that is morphing into a shed - Hayling yacht co

S1630018-cat-or-shed.jpg

Here is Rimas' next boat: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4736736695.html

>

San Juan 24 (bare)

Boat ancord in Kits.

Make your winter progekt- an sail way you liket!!!

I'm sure that sign in the rigging will generate a lot of calls. Hope someone buys it before the big storms come or it'll end up on Sunset beach.

FREE TRAILER

"hi just trying to find one person who will rebuild this old boat ,, its a 1959 sailboat with a desial 6 cyl motor ,, its needs some work ,, will give the trailer also with the boat ,, just want gone ASAP first 5 grand can take it ,, have sails that are in the barn in good shape ,, call 902-875-7683 thanks"

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/city-of-halifax/free-trailer/1032403723?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

post-10935-0-52413400-1416030832_thumb.jpg

>

San Juan 24 (bare)

Boat ancord in Kits.

Make your winter progekt- an sail way you li

ket!!!

I'm sure that sign in the rigging will generate a lot of calls. Hope someone buys it before the big storms come or it'll end up on Sunset beach.

This is the same boat I posted on in post #2695. It's definitely in a photogenic location.

FREE TRAILER

"hi just trying to find one person who will rebuild this old boat ,, its a 1959 sailboat with a desial 6 cyl motor ,, its needs some work ,, will give the trailer also with the boat ,, just want gone ASAP first 5 grand can take it ,, have sails that are in the barn in good shape ,, call 902-875-7683 thanks"

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/city-of-halifax/free-trailer/1032403723?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

attachicon.gif$_35.JPG

Must have been a pretty hull once - a long time ago... Now it looks like all the frames aft of the cabin collapsed and the stern is slowly losing its struggle with gravity.

Assuming it has a lead keel. Offer a $1000

Strip it and EBAY all fittings engine etc. Sell keel.

Burn it and recycle any bronze.

Advertise trailer for $1500.

She was indeed a pretty lady once.

Yes. A damn shame really. Deserved better than that.

"I have a hard title for the boat in hand in my name with no bank liens or issues."

No liens. What a relief!

"I have a hard title for the boat in hand in my name with no bank liens or issues."

No liens. What a relief!

In one pic you can see he removed the cross beams but left the hole so he could feed a chain through to lock his motor. So I can conclude that all that is holding the hulls together now is his new super structure. Who knows how that is attached!

R2 Unit autopilot is innovative: 00s0s_3OfBQi8MOCH_600x450.jpg

The side window from a truck canopy. Bulkhead not attached. Nothing like the vacuum in the centre of the photo. 110v electric splitter hanging for years. Vacuum half full of mouse shit.

At the end of the ad he says "Thanks and be safe on the water… "

That, to me, is a subliminal message saying: "Don't buy this boat then"

At the end of the ad he says "Thanks and be safe on the water… "

That, to me, is a subliminal message saying: "Don't buy this boat then"

Yet earlier "have another boat I am rebuilding for a business idea".

So expect to be able to charter hull #2, sweet, looking forward to that !

FREE TRAILER

attachicon.gif$_35.JPG

That thing is a wreck.....it's down in shellburne (close to me) there better be 6000$ cash in the bilge for anyone to take it for 5000$...

00T0T_2jO4BkAOxiB_600x450.jpg

00I0I_iX2cuKxb0LL_50x50c.jpg00T0T_2jO4BkAOxiB_50x50c.jpg

old sailboat for FREE. trailer is NOT included. if you want the boat, you have to figure out a way to get it without the trailer. boat needs a lot of work, but could be a fun project for someone! call or text for questions, address to look at it or more pictures. 208-three zero five- two zero zero five.

old sailboat for FREE. trailer is NOT included. if you want the boat, you have to figure out a way to get it without the trailer. boat needs a lot of work, but could be a fun project for someone! call or text for questions, address to look at it or more pictures. 208-three zero five- two zero zero five.

That's one of those shit Stevenson Projects designs aimed at ignorant newbies.

It needs to be killed with fire.

Think I missed the conversation: what's the beef with the Stevenson boats? They look just like most other pocket cruiser concepts out there...

This headline caught my eye as having a lot of potential for mockery, especially considering no price is listed.

Cape Dory sailboat to live the Dream

I clicked, figuring I'd find sad evidence of broken dreams and a boat that was chainsaw bait. Half right, it appears. That one has been fixed up nicely and comes with a trailer for $14k. The price seems a bit high to me, but might not be crazy if you want one like that one complete with trailer.

This is more like what is needed in this thread:

25ftcattalina Swing. Kill - $750

Has main sheet swing kill. Outboard bracket. 2.6" kill up 5ft 6" down kills weights 1500lbs bottom paint just done no cushions. Fair inside needs small fix of glass inside. And no boom no trailor blocks does not with was put here with 25t float on trailor. Just back under and let it down. Have title but signed in wrong place I don't know what that means ??? Allso have power of aturnery paper? Will trade foe anything car truck van boat ??? Got one week to move out loaded on trailor now ready for delivery locally for 250$

A good swing from a wrecking ball would kill it.

Have title but signed in wrong place I don't know what that means ???

Talk about teeing one up. Surely some of the fine humorists on this board can help this person out. Gentlemen (and women), start your keyboards. By way of example:

i) it means you are a dumbfuck

ii) it means you will never sell this thing

iii) . . .

Think I missed the conversation: what's the beef with the Stevenson boats? They look just like most other pocket cruiser concepts out there...

Really? They look like a Dr Seuss boat to me. Proportions are all wrong.

In real life, they are sucky boats too, don't sail worth a crap.

Basically, they are boats for people who don't know a thing about boats; designed to be easy & relatively inexpensive to build. So it's a success on that level.

FB- Doug

That's one of those shit Stevenson Projects designs aimed at ignorant newbies.

It needs to be killed with fire.

And yeah that trailer is a real prize too. I can see why the seller wants to hang on to it!

:huh:

FB- Doug

Talk about teeing one up. Surely some of the fine humorists on this board can help this person out. Gentlemen (and women), start your keyboards. By way of example:

iii) . . .

Red Green must have taught the owner to brace the boat in place. Handyman's secret weapon not even used so how smart is that.

post-105471-0-33950400-1416234347_thumb.jpg

iii) . . .

My guess is that he (or someone) signed it on the back. That used to be where you signed it in this state.

The signature will probably be ignored by the tax collectors if it's on the back. They've seen that mistake a few times.

I'm wondering about the "power of aturnery paper?" Why does he have it? An owner doesn't need such a thing to sell his boat. A broker or other designated person needs it to sign on behalf of an owner.

This headline caught my eye as having a lot of potential for mockery, especially considering no price is listed.

Cape Dory sailboat to live the Dream

I clicked, figuring I'd find sad evidence of broken dreams and a boat that was chainsaw bait. Half right, it appears. That one has been fixed up nicely and comes with a trailer for $14k. The price seems a bit high to me, but might not be crazy if you want one like that one complete with trailer.

Has main sheet swing kill. Outboard bracket. 2.6" kill up 5ft 6" down kills weights 1500lbs bottom paint just done no cushions. Fair inside needs small fix of glass inside. And no boom no trailor blocks does not with was put here with 25t float on trailor. Just back under and let it down. Have title but signed in wrong place I don't know what that means ??? Allso have power of aturnery paper? Will trade foe anything car truck van boat ??? Got one week to move out loaded on trailor now ready for delivery locally for 250$

A good swing from a wrecking ball would kill it.

So how much did you end up paying for it, Tom? :-)

I'm still negotiating with demolition contractors. Wrecking balls are expensive fun is all I've learned so far.

iii) . . .

Red Green must have taught the owner to brace the boat in place. Handyman's secret weapon not even used so how smart is that.

No Duct Tape, No Red Green.

This R2 unit clearly has a bad motivator!

The side window from a truck canopy. Bulkhead not attached. Nothing like the vacuum in the centre of the photo. 110v electric splitter hanging for years. Vacuum half full of mouse shit.

I love the R2-D2 autopilot, I think I might have one of those in my shed and will seriously consider taking it along as a backup.

I love the R2-D2 autopilot, I think I might have one of those in my shed and will seriously consider taking it along as a backup.

He wants 15K for that pile of shit!!! Holee Phuck I guess he doesn't want to sell.

Looks like a Soling modified with dual rudders and a bulb keel.

Didn't Blackaller build one as a test bed for USA in 1987?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4739587625.html

00J0J_Wu06AHTVDX_600x450.jpg

00101_bXQhMoByCDD_600x450.jpg

00000_XWcKCoCgXU_600x450.jpg

Has tiller in the front and tiller in rear with large lead keel. Collector's item?

The tiller thing sounds kinky without boaty terminology.

I'm afraid it is a collector's item, but not in the usual sense. It will be added to the collection of an unfortunate Polynavicular Morbus sufferer.

I like the trailer skirt. Looks like you can stow stuff up under there instead of in the truck.

The Hobie seems to be priced right, though I missed the news reports about the big sail to wherever.

When you're selling a pudgy boat, perhaps a fisheye lens is not the best way to photograph it.

post-95343-0-23704800-1416417716_thumb.jpg

Trailer comes complete with skirt to protect the boat's modesty.

Oh. I thought maybe it was some new "box" rule...

The Dyna Yacht guys (patent holders of CBTF) trialled their system on one or two Solings before doing the Schock 40 and the big boats like Oats. This is probably the boat. Likely cobbled together, but possibly pretty cool.

LOL!! I have a couple of milk crates full of stuff like that. Maybe I should start advertising and make my fortune. NOT!

Remember this thread started mocking a really crappy, rusted anchor, worn rode and a shiny shackle. :)

Trailer comes complete with skirt to protect the boat's modesty.

Oh. I thought maybe it was some new "box" rule...

Holy appendages batman!