blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

You guys are slacking. This ad has been posted for three days without being mentioned in the thread. It starts like this:

Batman themed trimaran

work in progrress! do not buy if you cant finish.

$25,000.00USD starting bid.

not documented, just registered with CA.

From there It evolves (or devolves) into an e.e. cummings-meets-Jack Kerouac-sans copy editor stream of unconsciousness. I've tried two or three times to decipher exactly whats going on here but the message (assuming there is one) is lost in translation. Something about a "morring" back in 1971. Just see for yourself: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/3874597078.html

The biggest One of the major failings of the ad is that no single picture shows more than 10 sq ft of vessel, and even stitching them together leaves one confused wanting more. I assume the lack of photographic evidence is intentional: the Bat Slip's location must remain a secret. I was able to glean that the galley boasts a solid plywood table. Also, there's an oven. Also, remove the oven before untying.

OMG! Here's his ad for the "Morring"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/3874557201.html

But it's "under the grandfather claws"

I do try not to mock ignorance or stupidity. I really try.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to mock stupidity.

Ooh, it comes with a FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLAR diesel stove!

A brand new Dickensin Carribbean three burner range, one of the best on the market, doesn't cost that much. I know. I just installed one.

I like the outside wing station and the spare steering wheel at the rail, or is that an airship trim wheel? I'm not saying it's bloated or anything but...

You guys are slacking. This ad has been posted for three days without being mentioned in the thread. It starts like this:

Batman themed trimaran

work in progrress! do not buy if you cant finish.

$25,000.00USD starting bid.

not documented, just registered with CA.

From there It evolves (or devolves) into an e.e. cummings-meets-Jack Kerouac-sans copy editor stream of unconsciousness. I've tried two or three times to decipher exactly whats going on here but the message (assuming there is one) is lost in translation. Something about a "morring" back in 1971. Just see for yourself: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/3874597078.html

The biggest One of the major failings of the ad is that no single picture shows more than 10 sq ft of vessel, and even stitching them together leaves one confused wanting more. I assume the lack of photographic evidence is intentional: the Bat Slip's location must remain a secret. I was able to glean that the galley boasts a solid plywood table. Also, there's an oven. Also, remove the oven before untying.

OMG! Here's his ad for the "Morring"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/3874557201.html

But it's "under the grandfather claws"

I do try not to mock ignorance or stupidity. I really try.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to mock stupidity.

I thought it was mandatory here. Isn't there a clause (claws?) about it in the terms of use?

I like the outside wing station and the spare steering wheel at the rail, or is that an airship trim wheel? I'm not saying it's bloated or anything but...

At least it has a better steering station than the flyin' hawaiian.

How's this for a looker....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3883763355.html

3t23sa3qd5se5q95t6d6k281a1f93670b149b.jp

Quote from the add copy: "watch the Am CUP in style."

:D

In style? Isn't that a hotel in the Marine district? Sausalito maybe? But then again a lot of boat work well if you are "looking out the windows". Maybe

those ugly "Sidewalk" Silverton's they built for awhile.

Here's another Fraser River ferro potential soul destroyer. Only $12K!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/3882065437.html

That's just sad. I decided to see just how sad, so I clicked on his youtube video. It came up "not available." Probably just as well.

The best he will be able to do will be to sell the valuable bits individually. At least, it would be financially best, but might be more soul-destroying.

Here's another Fraser River ferro potential soul destroyer. Only $12K!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/3882065437.html

That's just sad. I decided to see just how sad, so I clicked on his youtube video. It came up "not available." Probably just as well.

The best he will be able to do will be to sell the valuable bits individually. At least, it would be financially best, but might be more soul-destroying.

You didn't miss much but check post #399 - Remodel has the vid posted and it works.

makes me sick..

Its sad the amount of cash that disappears into these ferro mosters.

Pull them all out of the water, flip them upside down and make hobbit houses.

Oceaneer

There are a few decent ones around here - Vancouver was Sampson's base during ferro's heyday. They used to be incredible bargains if you needed a big, heavy, slow boat but now that all boats are so cheap I can't imagine why anyone would want to acquire even a good ferro boat.

Has anything ever smashed more dreams than ferro boatbuilding?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/3848289384.html

strong 1969 pearson Just completed 500 mile trip great boat 24 hp diesel 600 hours with 8 hp inflatable, rolling furlow jib, new bimini, marine a/c, good sails

...and so on. How do you get all the way through a 500 mile trip and still call it a rolling furlow jib? Marine air on a Pearson 30? I guess you could, but why?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/3848289384.html

strong 1969 pearson Just completed 500 mile trip great boat 24 hp diesel 600 hours with 8 hp inflatable, rolling furlow jib, new bimini, marine a/c, good sails

...and so on. How do you get all the way through a 500 mile trip and still call it a rolling furlow jib? Marine air on a Pearson 30? I guess you could, but why?

Rolling furlow jib sounds like something used by a Navy swabbie on leave.

There are a few decent ones around here - Vancouver was Sampson's base during ferro's heyday. They used to be incredible bargains if you needed a big, heavy, slow boat but now that all boats are so cheap I can't imagine why anyone would want to acquire even a good ferro boat.

Has anything ever smashed more dreams than ferro boatbuilding?

Some folk around here look at it as a cheap way of getting into a larger boat, and if your careful a well build boat, What you save in the purchase price you can spend on the boat.

But you gotta remember it has no resale value, the only way to get your money out of the boat is to use it out.

If you go into it eyes wide open it can be cost effective, as long as your not after a fast boat.

Yep, in the 70's there were loads of failed dreams, but by now almost all the badly built ones have died so almost all of the remaining, if in good condition are probably reasonably good boats. if you like ferro.

Dutchman.. I wish that all of the bad ones were gone.

In the PNW, we have lots of rivers, secluded bays and estuaries that are full of the monster dream crushers.

One of my friends has one, it makes me sad as he is dumping cash into it that will never come out. The end will be messy.

I think we could have solved a large portion of world hunger with the cash that has been poured into the ferro beasts.

oceaneer

Dutchman.. I wish that all of the bad ones were gone.

In the PNW, we have lots of rivers, secluded bays and estuaries that are full of the monster dream crushers.

One of my friends has one, it makes me sad as he is dumping cash into it that will never come out. The end will be messy.

I think we could have solved a large portion of world hunger with the cash that has been poured into the ferro beasts.

oceaneer

There are still some around, and at amazing prices.

post-703-0-71596000-1372100053_thumb.jpg

Yours for only $113,000. Hack cough.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/Custom-Ketch-Excellent-Cruising-Ketck-2615808/San-Carlos%2C-Sonora/Mexico#.UciV45zhdPd

He only charges $1 for delivery, so I guess you get what you pay for?

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3891494404.html

power or sail over 30 years of experince from maine to texas. resmue can be emailed

With that attention to detail, what could go wrong?

3K93Lb3F15Lb5E25K5d64cdd74efb22ca1c08.jp

Buy this boat and get five instant friends, free! Food not included.

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3849738491.html

If you're gonna dye your hair, you gotta do the 'stache too:

3G63F33Hf5I85Gf5E4d645315a33294ec14e6.jp

I like the mainsheet blocks, but want to reach into the pic and turn the starboard lower block around.

Looks like they've gotten the ballast pretty well distributed.

3K93Lb3F15Lb5E25K5d64cdd74efb22ca1c08.jp

Buy this boat and get five instant friends, free! Food not included.

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3849738491.html

If you're gonna dye your hair, you gotta do the 'stache too:

3G63F33Hf5I85Gf5E4d645315a33294ec14e6.jp

I like the mainsheet blocks, but want to reach into the pic and turn the starboard lower block around.

I'll see your "turn the lower block around" and raise you a "undo the whole sheet and trail it astern for a while".

Honest, I won't be able to sleep at night until I know that is fixed.

I didn't know where to post this one...

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/3893259881.html

I think its a cool boat, just found it odd that it had an inboard!

Love this shot of a stink pot getting towed by a sailboat!

3r33G53Fc5r65He5tcd6o9b6fe964c0a01302.jp

this is cool as fuck. it's in the wrong thread. Nothing to mock here. if I was closer, I'd be all over it. LOVE the cockpit coaming.

Er... I think dems are old floats from under de docks what hasn't lasted for 95 years.

Aside: the cafe in the town where my boat is has some 95 year old pics of the town docks. The general lay out of the marina is the same, but where today there are rows of yachts, back then there were only rows of houseboats, and one or two working boats. In those days, these were all mill towns (well... some still are.) My guess is that mill workers could pretty much float their home from job to job, since they were always on or near a river.

Same up north here. Great book to read about the life in the fishing/logging camps...

51mAtMPnSwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A 95 year old ferrocement boat? I had no idea... Not sure whether the value is based on its antiquity or perceived utility.

3r43G83te5Lc5G15qad6oa744657269281fac.jp

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/3893183781.html

Lambot built the first ferro boat in 1848 and it's still around. It's durable stuff.

A 95 year old ferrocement boat? I had no idea... Not sure whether the value is based on its antiquity or perceived utility.

3r43G83te5Lc5G15qad6oa744657269281fac.jp

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/3893183781.html

Lambot built the first ferro boat in 1848 and it's still around. It's durable stuff.

It's an excellent material for things like breakwaters. Boats with a D/L less than 500, not so much.

Same up north here. Great book to read about the life in the fishing/logging camps...

51mAtMPnSwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My great-aunt's husband spent his life logging out of that town. Started out cutting down the forest giants with misery whips while standing on springboards. When you could pry him away from the portland wrestling and the jim beam, he could tell some stories. Come to think of it, he's buried right across the road from my marina. Weird.

Ebay rather than CL -- hope that's acceptable. :unsure: On offer, this piece of fine Polska vaporware. Clever rudder arrangement -- totally dispenses with those pesky pintles.

9153066589_56e50387e5_z.jpg

I image this could have been Smeagol, age forty five, cruising the mouth of the Anduin, had fate been kinder.

"Raised his sword and bow that makes immersing the boat is just 25cm" ... discuss.

Ebay rather than CL -- hope that's acceptable. :unsure: On offer, this piece of fine Polska vaporware. Clever rudder arrangement -- totally dispenses with those pesky pintles.

I image this could have been Smeagol, age forty five, cruising the mouth of the Anduin, had fate been kinder.

"Raised his sword and bow that makes immersing the boat is just 25cm" ... discuss.

People must actually fall for shit like that for folk to bother to put the adds up, concerning.

Love the way the shrouds are on tracks, that's real nice.

Love the way the shrouds are on tracks, that's real nice.

It's also got the screen doors from the submarine, the ejector seat from the helicopter, and several other features borrowed from Poland's great history of technological innovation.

The waterbed is a nice touch tho.

I like how the boom is outside of the shrouds.

That's the benefit of shrouds on tracks!

So what's the benefit of leading the mainsheet directly into the helmsman's skull?

So what's the benefit of leading the mainsheet directly into the helmsman's skull?

Vulcan mind meld with the main sail trim?

Main trim feedback to the helmsman.

It's also got the screen doors from the submarine, the ejector seat from the helicopter, and several other features borrowed from Poland's great history of technological innovation.

The waterbed is a nice touch tho.

Easy there, Zed. You wouldn't know where 'polonium' got it's name, would you ?

(look up Marie Curie)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Polish_science_and_technology

Don't lump this strange rendering in with Poles any more than we deserve connection to HotRod's folly.

Main trim feedback to the helmsman.

I think that's his hair... natural fiber rope is making a comeback!

FB- Doug

It's a shadow of it's former greatness. No sane person would take that mess for free.

What's wrong with that add? Boat's a POS but some would say fairly priced.

Hey, I know that "boat"

It's a candidate to be turned over and made into a shed, while the hull still has some watertight integrity. Or bury it up to the waterline and make it into a pirate-themed swimming pool.

It's sad that the lesson has to be so expensive for some; a pointy-fronted box that looks like a boat is not a boat. A hull is only 15~20% of what it takes to be a boat.

FB- Doug

Maybe , but if that hull FLOATS we've at least got a raft.

I was thinking more a good starting point for a live aboard that will never leave the marina, but let's face it. The world already has enough of them.

I would love to see a whole village of upside down ferro boat homes,

Cute dormers cut into the hulls and chimney letting the comfortable smell of wood fired stoves out. (possibly fresh bread smells too?)

I think it would be kind of nice like the hobbit village on lord of the rings.. but more colourful.

Its the best use, you would never need re-roofing, snow would slide right off, and with some moss it would be quaint.

Goats would have a bitch of a time staying on so thats a down side.

Oceaneer

Cute dormers cut into the hulls and chimney letting the comfortable smell of wood fired stoves out. (possibly fresh bread smells too?)

I think it would be kind of nice like the hobbit village on lord of the rings.. but more colourful.

Its the best use, you would never need re-roofing, snow would slide right off, and with some moss it would be quaint.

Oceaneer

That's harsh!

Not that it's really relevant but my Dad built one of the many failed ferro 70's dreams, failed because Mum F'ed off and there was no money to finish the dream, end of story the boat never went very far, actually it still lives less than 20 miles from were it was built, I don't have contact with the current owner, I should make an effort there. I did spend a good portion of my child hood growing up on that boat.

FD

Oceaneer

That's harsh!

But funny!

Oceaneer

That's harsh!

But funny!

Yea, O.K. I'll give you that.

Oceaneer

+1

Helpful neighbors, instead of coming over for a barn-raising, would come over for a hull-tipping.

Then we could all sit around and blow smoke rings

FB- Doug

The harsh part is the goats falling off the roof right??

Oceaneer

I once lived in a town that used one of them as a shell for the bandstand in the park. They just dug a big hole, tipped the hull in with the bow pointed up, then built-out a stage. It was a bit lopsided, but once some trees grew up around it, it worked out fine.

The acoustic properties of a well built ferro hull cannot be overstated. Some of the finest concert halls are built using this technique.

One has to remember that in the heyday of ferro, there was NOT an endless supply of basically sound fiberglass hulls sitting around for cheap to free. Anyone wanting a cheap boat NOW could put word out at the local marinas and find one pretty quick.

How's this for a looker....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3883763355.html

3t23sa3qd5se5q95t6d6k281a1f93670b149b.jp

keep seeing this thing on CL - it's been up for months. I think it would make a great ad-hoc bar stationed out in Richardson bay over the summer. plenty of room on that bow to tie off your dinghy.

The harsh part is the goats falling off the roof right??

I see the lack of goat-friendly roofing as an overall plus.

True: my sister-in-law had a goat that would climb up on a shed roof. We think he enjoyed the view, but he also developed a habit of jumping down onto people's cars. Mostly strangers or people he didn't like, but he jumped on my sister-in-law's car a couple of times too over the years so maybe it was a cure for boredom.

FB- Doug

Oceaneer

Somewhat like this? Only Ferrocement. Not sure about upside down lapstrake, might give the goats some traction.

3X5A4189.JPG

Farely Mowat wrote a book called I believe "Farfarers" that talks about using boats as roofs.

In "Local Hero", didn't the guy that owned the beach live in a modified hull?

(must do some research)

Thought it too was a lapstrake hull...can't quite tell

local_hero_burt_lancaster_bill_forsyth_0

Another looker. It's a good idea to look at all the pics. Take your time. Savour them.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-20-ft-Mini-Trawler-W0QQAdIdZ306027102

T2eC16ZHJIE9qSO9fM3BQHW8NvEg48_20_zps571

Hmmm. Very interesting, but has one of those dangerous offset companionways. With a giant engine in the floor. What a weird console. Various unlabeled little switches and a couple of weird sliders that I assume must be engine controls. The only thing that looks familiar is the wheel.

$%28KGrHqV,!jkFBOTu!Ul6BQ,H%28EzYq!~~48_

I have got to stop playing this game. There are too many "bargain projects boats" out there to which I may be too susceptible.

Anyway, this guy keeps reposting this add, so I guess he is serious, but it boggles the mind exactly what he is going to do with a "sailboat rutter" Maybe he should try the personals section...

And I kinda have to feel for this guy who has found that living at anchor isn't as much fun as he thought it would be and just wants off the boat. Problem is, you have to have a boat already to get yourself out there to look at it. Oops. I see he has changed his ad text a bit. Maybe someone gave him a ride to shore.

Oceaneer

Somewhat like this? Only Ferrocement. Not sure about upside down lapstrake, might give the goats some traction.

3X5A4189.JPG

Farely Mowat wrote a book called I believe "Farfarers" that talks about using boats as roofs.

The lapstrake would act like reversed shingles.

I have got to stop playing this game. There are too many "bargain projects boats" out there to which I may be too susceptible.

Anyway, this guy keeps reposting this add, so I guess he is serious, but it boggles the mind exactly what he is going to do with a "sailboat rutter" Maybe he should try the personals section...

And I kinda have to feel for this guy who has found that living at anchor isn't as much fun as he thought it would be and just wants off the boat. Problem is, you have to have a boat already to get yourself out there to look at it. Oops. I see he has changed his ad text a bit. Maybe someone gave him a ride to shore.

When I was shopping for my current boat I was asked by one owner to "bring my own dinghy".

i need a stern tiller rutter .

A stern one. Some kind of dominatrix thing, I guess.

Another looker. It's a good idea to look at all the pics. Take your time. Savour them.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-20-ft-Mini-Trawler-W0QQAdIdZ306027102

T2eC16ZHJIE9qSO9fM3BQHW8NvEg48_20_zps571

Hmmm. Very interesting, but has one of those dangerous offset companionways. With a giant engine in the floor. What a weird console. Various unlabeled little switches and a couple of weird sliders that I assume must be engine controls. The only thing that looks familiar is the wheel.

$%28KGrHqV,!jkFBOTu!Ul6BQ,H%28EzYq!~~48_

I like the steel coffin. Almost ready for a viking funeral.

I like how he is "looing" for the stern sailboat rutter. Maybe our British friends could explain how one "loos" for something.......

I like how he is "looing" for the stern sailboat rutter. Maybe our British friends could explain how one "loos" for something.......

<dork>A rutter is what you have before you have a map or chart -- sort of a rough draft of a map. It's all early sailors had to go on, often. "Pass Pillars of Hercules, turn left. Look out for little black fellas. Also kraken."</dork>

Perhaps he's selling crude, hand-drawn chartlets?

This one comes with many extras, like sails and a mast (among others).

1976 17' fiberglass American Sail sloop rigged sail boat for sale. Complete with main and jib sails, mast & boom, trailer, swing keel, outboard motor and many other extras. Open cockpit with enclosed cabin and bunks. Current California registration. Ready to sail.

01414_kq3DvCDjDgS_600x450.jpg

00404_lYh4fc1kOPn_600x450.jpg

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/3910918737.html

When I was shopping for my current boat I was asked by one owner to "bring my own dinghy".

The adds' gone now but I was looking a we while back and one owner was advertising with "can take you to look at the boat with my dingy".

The boat has since been re-listed and questions are on the likes of " how much to deliver to XXY?"

when the bidding is up to 2.2K ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-610461506.htm

Wonder if the mooring is worth more than the boat? Shame cause I don't think it's a bad boat.

This one comes with many extras, like sails and a mast (among others).

1976 17' fiberglass American Sail sloop rigged sail boat for sale. Complete with main and jib sails, mast & boom, trailer, swing keel, outboard motor and many other extras. Open cockpit with enclosed cabin and bunks. Current California registration. Ready to sail.

01414_kq3DvCDjDgS_600x450.jpg

00404_lYh4fc1kOPn_600x450.jpg

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/3910918737.html

I like it

D

Oceaneer

3X5A4189.JPG

My response to this would be this:

article-2339396-1A40D090000005DC-736_964

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2013-07-04/mid-wales-shed-crowned-best-in-britain/

Wow thats Awesome!!!!

Love how the anchor has set.

3E13Ke3sf5Ie5ra5Jad75f2aa613c187916bc.jp

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/3914950867.html

It's kind of a mess for never having been in the water.

1979 Lugar Tradewinds 26' Sloop

Never Been In The Water..Outside needs Good Cleaning, Inside Has Been Gutted For Remodel...

Swing Keel...

Aluminum Mast 30' New Sails Still In The Bag, Never Installed...

Trailer Is In Average To Good Shape...

Will Trade Or Take Best Offer...

This guy is doing some creative marketing. A Morgan 27 for sale in Indiana with a 'Yellow Jacket' paint job so he lists it in Atlanta CL thinking that Ga Tech grads will buy it just for the paint job! Even offers to knock $1000 of on shipping to Lake Lanier. This boat would be a sleeper on the lake under PHRF, not a bad buy at $2500.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/3886840987.html

Now if it had a 'War Eagle' paint job I might consider...

Now if it had a 'War Eagle' paint job I might consider...

A good buy @ $2,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago, I enjoyed racing on a M27 ('though the beer-canning through the waves was disconcerting offshore).

S/F, Phil