blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

OK, it would be a nightmare in the tropics. But flipped upside down on your lawn at the PNW fish shack it shouldn't be that bad. You would only need Sons to come out and varnish it like once every 5 years! I though the price was pretty reasonable especially with all the detailing. I know you would be happier with something long and sleek but still able to be launched across your log field easily.

They're probably just listing it everywhere they can think of for the exposure.

Yup

Thanks for thinking of us Rasper but there is far too much teak on that dink for me.

A "Perrywinkle 8"? And you designed it?

That would make a pretty cool boat for your granddaughter, but I get the "too much teak" bit.

If I wanted another 8'er I'd get another El Toro. And I have been considering it. I could unstep the mast, turn that tub over and carry up the beach on my shoulders, easily.

A year ago there was two of those on the west side of Liberty Bay, Poulsbo. Both dragged and blew ashore. Both with the masts tied down on their decks. I think the city of Poulsbo would have paid you to remove them. I doubt the owners came forward as they were there for quite a while.

I guess the price of a Coronado 25 was expensive to a lot of people back in the early 70's - hell, they probably cost $6 or $7K. :o

Pretty well any boat that size cost about a years pay or more for a young guy back then. I remember that San Juan 24's cost about $10K when I was earning about $7K as a mainframe operator for IBM (back in the Cretaceous period when computers were electromechanical and filled a big room). :D

Now it's just junk, like those mainframes.

That boat needs a chainsaw appointment, not a viewing appointment.

SloopJon, you might be as ancient as my friend Charlie, who told me that a computer he worked on is now an artifact in the Smithsonian. Not one just like it, the actual machine. :lol:

There were more Coronado 25's built than Pearson 30's. This could be taken as some indicator of popularity.

During the time I owned mine, I found it to be a very tough little boat, simple and forgiving. It was an excellent learning platform.

The only reason I sold mine, was because I wanted something faster, and the interior space was totally wasted with a poor layout and a wasteful, fiberglass cabin liner.

I really liked the hidden well for the outboard engine. It protected the engine, and gave the boat a nice, clean look. They're a fair boat for the Chesapeake if you have a spinnaker to keep it moving during the doldrums.

But yeah, I see why this particular boat is listed in the "mocking" thread. :)

Wasn't this one on Top Gear? Built by Hammond? And it sank???

Another looker. It's a good idea to look at all the pics. Take your time. Savour them.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-20-ft-Mini-Trawler-W0QQAdIdZ306027102

T2eC16ZHJIE9qSO9fM3BQHW8NvEg48_20_zps571

Hmmm. Very interesting, but has one of those dangerous offset companionways. With a giant engine in the floor. What a weird console. Various unlabeled little switches and a couple of weird sliders that I assume must be engine controls. The only thing that looks familiar is the wheel.

$%28KGrHqV,!jkFBOTu!Ul6BQ,H%28EzYq!~~48_

I like the steel coffin. Almost ready for a viking funeral.

Wasn't this one on Top Gear? Built by Hammond? And it sank???

Another looker. It's a good idea to look at all the pics. Take your time. Savour them.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-20-ft-Mini-Trawler-W0QQAdIdZ306027102

T2eC16ZHJIE9qSO9fM3BQHW8NvEg48_20_zps571

Hmmm. Very interesting, but has one of those dangerous offset companionways. With a giant engine in the floor. What a weird console. Various unlabeled little switches and a couple of weird sliders that I assume must be engine controls. The only thing that looks familiar is the wheel.

$%28KGrHqV,!jkFBOTu!Ul6BQ,H%28EzYq!~~48_

I like the steel coffin. Almost ready for a viking funeral.

Hammond's was nicer:

5963283441_88932524b0_z.jpg

SloopJon, you might be as ancient as my friend Charlie, who told me that a computer he worked on is now an artifact in the Smithsonian. Not one just like it, the actual machine. :lol:

When I started in the computer room at IBM the BIG machine of the three was 512K of main storage - that's K, not gigs or TB's. It was a big day when we got our first 1 Meg machine with virtual storage. Those machines would take a crew of 1/2 dozen to operate and now they wouldn't run a decent watch. We still had some 1401 series equipment around - that was IBM's first commercial series and is probably what the Smith has.

When my kids were in high school in the 90's I mentioned "punch cards" one day and they said "what are those". I still had some in my DESK fercrissakes.

Gawd I feel old. :rolleyes:

Here's another Fraser River ferro potential soul destroyer. Only $12K!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/3882065437.html

Take the tour!

Looks like this guy is in the business of buying repos at pennies on the dollar and then reselling them for a 10% or so markup

He better hurry up then - it's down to $9.9K already.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/3924031210.html

When I started in the computer room at IBM the BIG machine of the three was 512K of main storage - that's K, not gigs or TB's. It was a big day when we got our first 1 Meg machine with virtual storage. Those machines would take a crew of 1/2 dozen to operate and now they wouldn't run a decent watch. We still had some 1401 series equipment around - that was IBM's first commercial series and is probably what the Smith has.

When my kids were in high school in the 90's I mentioned "punch cards" one day and they said "what are those". I still had some in my DESK fercrissakes.

Between my Jr and Sr years in college, I had a some job at Mutual Benefit Life Insurance in Newark, NJ. Along with state of the art equipment (circa 1967) they had an IBM 650 which I believe was IBMs first commercial machine.. They fired it up once a year to print the rate book. While I was there, one of the actuaries finished re-programming the rate book in COBOL.

Among the new machines, was a device called a data cell. It stored data on strips of magnetic media that got pulled from slots and slapped onto a drum when needed, and then stuck back in the slot. That was a dead-end technology I never say anywhere else. Maybe you can find one on Craigslist.

Now, where is my 80-column pad; I need to write some FORTRAN.

Between my Jr and Sr years in college, I had a some job at Mutual Benefit Life Insurance in Newark, NJ. Along with state of the art equipment (circa 1967) they had an IBM 650 which I believe was IBMs first commercial machine.. They fired it up once a year to print the rate book. While I was there, one of the actuaries finished re-programming the rate book in COBOL.

Among the new machines, was a device called a data cell. It stored data on strips of magnetic media that got pulled from slots and slapped onto a drum when needed, and then stuck back in the slot. That was a dead-end technology I never say anywhere else. Maybe you can find one on Craigslist.

Now, where is my 80-column pad; I need to write some FORTRAN.

I was going to carry on about the 360/50 I started on, with 128k of manually switched memory, but I think SemiSalt wins.

ML

I'm sorry (not very!) to have contributed to the off-topic discussion. By way of penance, I've looked through a lot of CL listings, and here is the best I could find:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/3872183569.html

Not bad. $500 for one or two for free. I got a lot of "deals" like that when I used to haunt the government surplus sales (before ebay ruined the market.) There would be ONE item I really wanted attached to four pallets of old TTY terminals and similar useless junk. Sadistic bostiches.

This is going to devolve into "Mocking Geeky Geezers On CA" if someone doesn't post a crappy boat ad soon.

Or we could start a "Mocking children who have the attention span and sense of history of a Mayfly" thread. :P Try and find a picture of some tits if you're old enough to know what they are. Otherwise, just keep staring at your phone.

I am in awe of people who list stuff, boats or cars especially, on CL who "can't post pics"! WTF? How hard is it? Last week I put 3 items up on CL and posted 4+ pics of each. A Sunfish and 2 canoes. Who are these idiots?

Same idiots that sell boats, cars, trailers, and airplanes with NO TITLE/LOST TITLE.

Someone used to post an "ad" on CL that said "IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TITLE YOU DON'T OWN IT AND CANNOT SELL IT".

* I got a trialer for $100 because it had no title. It mutated into a homebuilt trailer with Maine tags :lol:B)

I like the buy one or get two free concept- that fellow is thinking. When I cleaned out my mother's house I got a $500 offer on the old books. When I informed the buyer that he had to take every book the offer dropped to $300. I understand dealmaking.

Same idiots that sell boats, cars, trailers, and airplanes with NO TITLE/LOST TITLE.

Someone used to post an "ad" on CL that said "IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TITLE YOU DON'T OWN IT AND CANNOT SELL IT".

* I got a trialer for $100 because it had no title. It mutated into a homebuilt trailer with Maine tags :lol:B)

I saw an informational-type "ad" on CL warning that some people offering boats for free were just looking for a place to dump a hulk that had been stripped of all the hardware and recyclables leaving a "free" hulk to be hauled to the landfill.

I'm sorry (not very!) to have contributed to the off-topic discussion. By way of penance, I've looked through a lot of CL listings, and here is the best I could find:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/3872183569.html

If I'm not mistaken, the powerboat is an old Formula and is actually a very nice riding hull.

Dunno... I've been through the "lost-title" process many times. Little pieces of paper don't have much hold on the minds of the poor white trash class. (e.g. My family.) It costs an extra $50, but the "three year waiting period" has largely been reduced to about a week, while they search internet databases of stolen vehicles.

On the other hand, last time I titled a CL boat, (I told them I didn't have much money risked in the deal, so "search away") the state trooper showed me three or four nice ski boats in the impound yard that had been stolen back east somewhere, then hauled out west and sold on CL.

(Mine turned out to be a government surplus zodiac that had officially "been destroyed" by tearing off the ID plate, poking a couple of holes in it and tossing it in a dumpster. But somebody somewhere fished it back out and patched the holes... WTF, they just gave me a new HIN.)

This reminds me, I've got to spring my Mom from the old folks home and haul her down to the DMV to start the "lost title" thing on her vehicles, so she can sell them. :wacko:

30 minutes with a mop and bucket could get that boat from $175 to $203 or so.

30 minutes with a chainsaw and you could possibly have a more valuable pile of scrap metal.

and some fibreglass to clean up.

I have a Hobie 17 that I have no paperwork on. Might bite me in the ass someday.

I have a Hobie 17 that I have no paperwork on. Might bite me in the ass someday.

Most likely, that will be the day you decide to put an engine on it.

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3887172408.html

I don't think Bob did this one when he was working for Benford. Or maybe he did and the original builder took license with the plans to make it easy to build.

Zinc plated hull?

I've never owned a steel boat, or know much about them, but is this a good idea? Wouldn't the zinc just get eaten away? Is this why it lives on land?

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3887172408.html

I don't think Bob did this one when he was working for Benford. Or maybe he did and the original builder took license with the plans to make it easy to build.

The "can be handled by one person" seems rather optimistic unless he's referring to the guy at the scrap yard running the...well, whatever the hell you use to trash a zinc-plated hull without killing yourself.

Depends on the jurisdiction, but for low-value stuff like old sailboats, most County Clerks accept an affidavit in lieu of transferable title -- or even legible bill of sale. Basically, you sign (& have witnessed by a resident notary) a piece of paper saying you really, positively, legally own the thing you are trying to register or title. You bought it fair & square & didn't steal it at all. If you lie on that paper, you just committed a felony.;)

Now you take that piece of paper to the treasurer & pay sales tax on the stated purchase price. That's what they are really after, anyhow. Then you take proof of tax paid back to the clerk and get a title (if required for motorized boats or a trailer). Then you take THAT back to the treasurer and buy a registration. (May need to get sheriff or G&F to inspect the VIN/HIN). All done.:)

We had to do this drill twice for the SJ21, once for the trailer & once for the boat when we put a motor on it. Clerks were helpful & not too fussy about prior documentation. Cuz if you did steal it, and the po-po subsequently trace it to you, it's very much your problem -- not theirs.;)

I bought a boat on a trailer in New Jersey. I live in Connecticut. NJ titles the boat but not the trailer; CT titles the trailer, but not the boat.

At the CT DMV, I'd tell them there was no title for the trailer because it was owned and licensed in NJ. They would go look in some reference book and find a place where is says NJ titles all vehicles, and say they need to see the title. Wrong answer. It took months to get the trailer titled and licensed in CT.

Ok here is a new one for me..

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Marine-electrician-electrical-technologist_20108454

$50 · Marine electrician electrical technologistREPORT AD

Do you need electrical repairs to your boat, marine electrical technologist available, anything from batteries to chart plotters!
No job too big or too small anywhere on south Island!
I have years of experience on water craft of all sorts, I work efficiently, clean and fair.
Call or email any time!

It a electrician right??

I wonder what he calls it when he pumps his gas or wipes his butt?

Oceaneer

I used to charter in the BVIs regularly. I anticipated the head speech during the checkout. I think plain and direct is the key. From girls it's especially fun, and from them I was never disappointed.

Once I got an older dude, said, "once forward and once back and once to shine." That was too much information, though it did get me thinking.

Zinc plated hull?

I've never owned a steel boat, or know much about them, but is this a good idea? Wouldn't the zinc just get eaten away? Is this why it lives on land?

I can't imagine how how one could zinc plate a hull; AFTER welding up all the plates.

didn't those have several thousand pounds of ballast? why hasn't it been scraped?

Scrapped. A keel is scraped if you're going to put it back in the water.

(Mine turned out to be a government surplus zodiac that had officially "been destroyed" by tearing off the ID plate,

Been down that road. Federal identification number was still on the item, and, after an irate neighbor (twit!) complained, the heat was on. Next thing I know the FBI was looking for me.

Two weeks later they finally caught me (I thought they were after me for a much more serious crime). We met and they decided I was an innocent victim, but were quite pissed about the effort it took to find me.

Zinc plated hull?

I can't imagine how how one could zinc plate a hull; AFTER welding up all the plates.

It was probably flame sprayed. Calling it "plated" fits with the level of "knowledge" demonstrated by the rest of the ad.

Look where it is! How can you lose? That town has one of the all time great place names.

Look where it is! How can you lose? That town has one of the all time great place names.

Customs people will love it. Your home is..... weed?

There's really nothing exceptionally mock-worthy about this one except the price:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/3934405672.html

I'm very much in this market right now and I know what all those pieces are worth. That's about a $350 boat. The motor is worth about $1,000. The poling platform would be worth a couple of hundred if it were on a retail shelf or some appropriate boat, but on that boat, it's worth about $50. Fancy paint on the bottom and the other stuff have no real market value to speak of. I come up with $1,400 as a reasonable market value for the boat.

Most owners seem to know what our little skiffs are worth. It's not hard to figure out, and the idea of being off by a thousand bucks is pretty amazing. This guy is seriously deluded, beyond anything I have seen. $3,250??? He's off by almost $2k on a boat worth significantly less than $2k.

Finally found her!,My dream boat ride to the south seas!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/3928737387.html

I thought that was a state, not a town...

Anyway, I fail to see any resemblance whatever to a Boston Whaler as claimed in the ad (and also not sure why this would be a good thing for a sailing trimaran).

3Eb3te3J35Nc5rf5t8d7bc63a74ea85fc1af2.jp

And what the heck is ^this^ ??

FB- Doug

I figured when they wrote "Whaler" they actually were thinking "Dory" but had partaken of the towns namesake product.

>

Anyway, I fail to see any resemblance whatever to a Boston Whaler as claimed in the ad (and also not sure why this would be a good thing for a sailing trimaran).

FB- Doug

Why thats the reverse polarity transducinal lateral balance and self righting system.

>>

FB- Doug

Why thats the reverse polarity transducinal lateral balance and self righting system.

More commonly known as a trip hazard.

OK I clicked on the ad and wound up at a site for the boat. I found this interesting:

Rudder is sysmetrical oil-filled foil made of 5/16 A-36 steel.

Why would a rudder be filled with oil?

Extra diesel oil storage? Made me think of the Rokon two wheel drive bikes that had hollow wheels for extra fuel storage

Funny listing Jake

http://sfbay.craigsl...3876274565.html

Oil filled rudders were all the rage on the fishing trollers as they were quiet when running. Some how the oil dissipates the sound of the cavitation bubbles hitting the rudder.

What are commercial Zincs? and how is zinc different for the pleasure boats.. I have never bought a comercial zinc. On the periodic table is it Zn "C"

250 pounds of commercial Zinc Anodes..

I love this part

This vessel is not a 'Slip Queen' like so many other boats.

Then a bit later

Since her dry-dock in 2002, she has been exclusively in the fresh water of the Willamette River.

Some thing is not right here..

This engine has 176 hours since new.....

she recently completed a 12,000 mile voyage,

In November 2002, the Iron Maiden made a 33 day voyage (maiden-voyage) from Southern California to her berth on the Willamette River in Oregon City Oregon,

Hmmm..

but the engine was new is 2002?

So 16 hours per year since then.

And I bet that all of that came on the transit from san pedro to the river..

So yes she is a Dock queen for the last 11 years.

And the voyage is only 1200Nm, not 12000 Nm.. unless I have my chart work very wrong.

O well, good luck to the seller,

Oceaneer

Good catch Oceaneer, 1,200 miles in 33 days is 36 miles per day. You can nearly walk that.

You'd think, but it did take me about 15 years to fix the wooden transom bits on my aluminum boat, a much easier job.

I think I just found my outboard, so if all goes well I'll stop bothering you people with skiffs.

"WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO FIND A GOOD HOME FOR THIS BOAT? I have lowered the price by half... make an offer. I hate to see it deteriorate." ... any further.

You'd think, but it did take me about 15 years to fix the wooden transom bits on my aluminum boat, a much easier job.

I think I just found my outboard, so if all goes well I'll stop bothering you people with skiffs.

aha

I see what you are doing wrong here

you thought that procrastination was part of the fixing process

a simple mistake for any boat owner to make

two bits of ply, some sikaflex, some self driving stainless screws

a shit boat no longer sinks

D

aha

I see what you are doing wrong here

you thought that procrastination was part of the fixing process

a simple mistake for any boat owner to make

two bits of ply, some sikaflex, some self driving stainless screws

a shit boat no longer sinks

D

Why go to all that trouble? A tube of liquid nails an a couple of layers of blue tarp.

Boat is fine... for about as long as it was going to last anyway.

However I do think that anybody who pays $500+ for a badly damaged plywood skiff with no motor and no trailer and no other floating assets worth actual cash is an even bigger moron than the seller. This particular boat is in the category of firewood... offer it to a neighbor if he'll take it without damaging your lawn.

FB- Doug

The issue isn't the repair, that's easy as has already been pointed out. The issue is what caused the damage in the first place. That boat appears to be made out of cheapo lauan underlayment that has delaminated due to not being made out of waterproof glue. The whole boat is waiting to turn back into the pile of veneers, just add water.

The issue isn't the repair, that's easy as has already been pointed out. The issue is what caused the damage in the first place. That boat appears to be made out of cheapo lauan underlayment that has delaminated due to not being made out of waterproof glue. The whole boat is waiting to turn back into the pile of veneers, just add water.

but for $500 - who cares

get a a season out of it and you are ahead

D

I bought a boat on a trailer in New Jersey. I live in Connecticut. NJ titles the boat but not the trailer; CT titles the trailer, but not the boat.

At the CT DMV, I'd tell them there was no title for the trailer because it was owned and licensed in NJ. They would go look in some reference book and find a place where is says NJ titles all vehicles, and say they need to see the title. Wrong answer. It took months to get the trailer titled and licensed in CT.

Change NJ to NY and I had the same experience. I went to a different DMV office, and brought a printout from the NY DMV website which declared that they do not title trailers below a certain gross weight. Done.

Only slightly less hassle than removing the VIN plate and registering it as "homemade".

That ad reminds me of the show where folks bid on abandoned storage lockers without being able to go through them.

Who knows what is under the tarp?

The most ridiculous thing about that one is that there is [as of just now] 9 bids!

This isn't an ad, but it shows a boat that with 'For Sale' written on it. Perhaps that's close enough.