blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

I like protection from the elements as much as anyone, but I have to say that dodger qualifies the boat for that other thread.

Today's entries in the "mildew farm for sale" category include a Grady White 21 with no transom or floor, but it does come with a trailer and even a console for $500.

00X0X_4Fox2kDB73w_600x450.jpg

On most days, that would be the winner for this region, but most days a classic Aquasport does not appear.

00D0D_hTpQkxcYv6I_600x450.jpg

If you really wanted to get rid of that, wouldn't you spend an hour with a pressure washer?

I found an outboard, a 1975 Evinrude 15. I'm looking for a trailer. The boat seems to have gotten heavier over the years.

1975-evinrude-15.jpg

I like protection from the elements as much as anyone, but I have to say that dodger qualifies the boat for that other thread.

That's not a dodger, that's an oxygen tent.

... ...

If you really wanted to get rid of that, wouldn't you spend an hour with a pressure washer?

Fuck that, I'm busy.

Just gimme your money and drag it outta my yard.

No lowball offers, either!!! !!!

FB- Doug

I found an outboard, a 1975 Evinrude 15. I'm looking for a trailer. The boat seems to have gotten heavier over the years.

1975-evinrude-15.jpg

Wow the flashbacks! When I was a tyke I learned to ski behind a skiff with an Evinrude *exactly* like this one.

Hey that is a CLASSIC and there are places in the world where they are in demand. I know coz I had one, well a Johnson, same difference except you can make johnson jokes,

How do I know they are in demand? Well some one passed up a brand new Honda OB that was 50m away and not secured in anyway to steal my old Johnson. They had to cut the security lanyard to take it. This was in St Barts. I had been pretty smug about my old Johnson which still propelled my rib around the place at speed and I had wrongly thought no one would steal anything that old. WELL THEY DID!

1975-evinrude-15.jpg

Hey that is a CLASSIC and there are places in the world where they are in demand. I know coz I had one, well a Johnson, same difference except you can make johnson jokes,

How do I know they are in demand? Well some one passed up a brand new Honda OB that was 50m away and not secured in anyway to steal my old Johnson. They had to cut the security lanyard to take it. This was in St Barts. I had been pretty smug about my old Johnson which still propelled my rib around the place at speed and I had wrongly thought no one would steal anything that old. WELL THEY DID!

If you watch the video at the Dylan's "pontoon at Gainsborough" thread, the OB on the boat he was gamming with had the cover painted. It's been suggested to me that this is viable anti-theft strategy.

I took my classic Evinrude out for its second test run day before yesterday. It made horrible clicks and bumps I had never heard before.

Suspecting the origin, I drained the gear oil. You could hear the TAP sound as bits of metal fell out into the aluminum drain pan.

Now I get my first opportunity to disassemble a lower unit. Luckily, I have discovered LeeRoy's Ramblings on these engines.

1071367_10201019896933641_902590993_o.jp

I took my classic Evinrude out for its second test run day before yesterday. It made horrible clicks and bumps I had never heard before.

Suspecting the origin, I drained the gear oil. You could hear the TAP sound as bits of metal fell out into the aluminum drain pan.

Now I get my first opportunity to disassemble a lower unit. Luckily, I have discovered LeeRoy's Ramblings on these engines.

Ouch

Only thing worse than that is when little bits of flesh drop into the pan

Good luck

FB- Doug

If you watch the video at the Dylan's "pontoon at Gainsborough" thread, the OB on the boat he was gamming with had the cover painted. It's been suggested to me that this is viable anti-theft strategy.

I spent a winter in wells next the sea

a lovely place with sand estuaries that thread through the salt marshes

they used to get gangs of blokes from Eastern Europe coming with a van and picking the outboards off the boats - a 2 am low tide was perfect for this operation

the outboards would be on the ferry by seven and heading across the North sea

2454506082.jpg

like this one from cambridgeshire

the idea is that the outboard owners take the proper cowls home with them

as anyone who has tried to buy a replacement cowl knows they are pretty expensive

the result is that the Eastern European gentlemen went elsewhere or moved onto copy cables or some such

pretty good idea I reckon

You guys don't have these:

302171.jpg

I spent a winter in wells next the sea

a lovely place with sand estuaries that thread through the salt marshes

they used to get gangs of blokes from Eastern Europe coming with a van and picking the outboards off the boats - a 2 am low tide was perfect for this operation

the outboards would be on the ferry by seven and heading across the North sea

2454506082.jpg

like this one from cambridgeshire

the idea is that the outboard owners take the proper cowls home with them

as anyone who has tried to buy a replacement cowl knows they are pretty expensive

the result is that the Eastern European gentlemen went elsewhere or moved onto copy cables or some such

pretty good idea I reckon

You guys don't have these:

302171.jpg

yes we do

and they work pretty well

but for some reason the canvas hoods work pretty well as a deterrent

maybe its the same thing the way that cardboard policemen reduce shoplifting

cardboard_2353805b.jpg

A bit of waterproofing and you could bring the cardboard policeman aboard and save having to remove the engine cover, right?

A bit of waterproofing and you could bring the cardboard policeman aboard and save having to remove the engine cover, right?

your logic is impeccable

and I would get to sleep with a man in uniform

Well, I guess it's a sailboat, or a sail boat.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/3957843784.html

Sailboat Sail Boat - $1100 (Lost Lake)
00Z0Z_aShwSfle8f4_600x450.jpg

11 foot Sailboat (sail boat). Excellent condition. Always stored inside. Ready to use. Can be hauled in large pick-up or utility trailer.

Well, I guess it's a sailboat, or a sail boat.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/3957843784.html

Sailboat Sail Boat - $1100 (Lost Lake)
00Z0Z_aShwSfle8f4_50x50c.jpg 01414_aeFKdMlPLvv_50x50c.jpg 00N0N_74eW5UW4tjo_50x50c.jpg 00Y0Y_bwKjNo7ZHxs_50x50c.jpg
00Z0Z_aShwSfle8f4_600x450.jpg

11 foot Sailboat (sail boat). Excellent condition. Always stored inside. Ready to use. Can be hauled in large pick-up or utility trailer.

I like that. It would make a fine play tender for the Island piglet. ...but $1100? not so much. .....and it's on the wrong side of the continent.

Ouch

Only thing worse than that is when little bits of flesh drop into the pan

Good luck

FB- Doug

Flesh grows back though.

Well, here's the sad ending to the Evinrude 15 story.

182909_10201031256777630_1714824013_n.jp

The big one is the forward gear. It costs about $400. The smaller one costs over a hundred. Add in needed seal kits and stuff and the parts needed cost about what I paid for the engine. Doh.

I'm tempted to "message him" to ask what he's been smoking.

Radon 32 Hull only. 29' x 10' shortened in the mold.

Huh? I wonder how that works? Build a 3' section inside the mold or something? I wonder why. Sounds like mold abuse.

Huh? I wonder how that works? Build a 3' section inside the mold or something? I wonder why. Sounds like mold abuse.

That's exactly how they would have done it. It was quite a common way of using one mold to make multiple hull lengths. The transom dam was removable.

That's exactly how they would have done it. It was quite a common way of using one mold to make multiple hull lengths. The transom dam was removable.

Columbia was the master of that. The Columbia 34 & Coronado 35 came from the same mold with the transom dam changed. The Columbia 39, 41 and Coronado 41 the same as were the Columbia 43, 45 and the Coronado 45.

8 quite different boats from three hull molds. Only the decks were changed to protect the innocent.

sailboat 1-2 person - $150 (sellersburg)

00e0e_g3d0xDo6BgY_600x450.jpg

wing sailer sailboat 1-2 person good shape $150.00 obo call 812-207-7728

Posting ID: 3965359251

Posted: 2013-07-28, 2:25PM EDT
http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/3965359251.html

I'll save you a step:

http://cctexan.tripod.com/wingsailer/home/index.html

sailboat 1-2 person - $150 (sellersburg)

00e0e_g3d0xDo6BgY_600x450.jpg

wing sailer sailboat 1-2 person good shape $150.00 obo call 812-207-7728

Posting ID: 3965359251

Posted: 2013-07-28, 2:25PM EDT

http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/3965359251.html

I'll save you a step:

http://cctexan.tripod.com/wingsailer/home/index.html

Ah yes I remember them well

They look really cool but the hull shape sucks, the foils suck, the control system is rattley & loose. Most of them end up at the leeward end of the lake, needing a tow back upwind.

Back in the day, I was a lot less mellow & tactful than I am now. I lost a good friend over these silly things. I dunno how much he was involved with the design & building of them, but he was pushing a fleet in our area and I gave too many people an honest assessment of them.

As technology advanced, materials and manufacturing processes enabled us to have the WindRider tri, which is a better implementation of the same concept; "better" in the sense that it actually sails.

FB- Doug

Looks like the robot standing next to it thinks it is pretty cool- probably just hard for humans.

The big one is the forward gear. It costs about $400. The smaller one costs over a hundred. Add in needed seal kits and stuff and the parts needed cost about what I paid for the engine. Doh.

Sounds like it's time to look for another lower-unit from a junk OB.

Not CL but a good one:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36000

From the ad:

She went down in FRESHWATER to her nose in 2009 after a hose in the bathroom wiggled loose while she was getting cleaned, nothing serious. She was under for about 30 hours -After the hose was tightened she floated fine (people intentionally sink their boats on the coast when a hurricane is coming through so it's really not that big of a deal) -Her electrical was gone through when she was brought back up and worked fine -The ENGINE IS AN ATOMIC 4 and has not been turned over since she went down since it was freshwater she should be fine, status known for sure (a mechanic told me that all she needs is to be flushed with Marvel Mystery Oil and it should fire up fine).

We'd like to call BS on the A4 being fine, but dammit he's probably right.

Not CL but a good one:

From the ad:

She went down in FRESHWATER to her nose in 2009 after a hose in the bathroom wiggled loose while she was getting cleaned, nothing serious. She was under for about 30 hours -After the hose was tightened she floated fine (people intentionally sink their boats on the coast when a hurricane is coming through so it's really not that big of a deal) -Her electrical was gone through when she was brought back up and worked fine -The ENGINE IS AN ATOMIC 4 and has not been turned over since she went down since it was freshwater she should be fine, status known for sure (a mechanic told me that all she needs is to be flushed with Marvel Mystery Oil and it should fire up fine).

Wow

I wonder if I have any personal delusions that I work as hard as this to justify.... people with half a brain do NOT intentionally sink their boats on the coast when a hurricane is coming and one of the biggest reasons is it's hell on the wiring & the engine & everything except bare fiberglass; plus a storm surge can easily pull a big heavy boat for miles along the bottom.

As for an engine that hasn't been turned over since sinking, well you notice the mechanic didn't offer to buy it, huh? Yeah yeah CLick & Clack recommend Marvel Mystery Oil too (basically it's saturated with lead oxides & sulphur not much mystery) so maybe if you rub it on the wiring it would help that too.

FB- Doug

In fairness, I throw plastic kayaks, lawn furniture and other stuff in the pond when tropical systems approach. Nothing with an electrical system though.

I'd bet a small amount of money against that A4 firing right up, but not a large amount. I'd bet any amount it could be saved if someone wanted it.

Here s another one from Sailboatlistings:

post-37611-0-78542800-1375202524_thumb.jpg

Not CL but a good one:

From the ad:

"Nothing serious", "Not that big a deal", "Has not turned over since she went down", "Should be fine", "Should fire right up".

Hey, sounds fine to me - what's the problem?

Not CL but a good one:

From the ad:

Wow

I wonder if I have any personal delusions that I work as hard as this to justify.... people with half a brain do NOT intentionally sink their boats on the coast when a hurricane is coming and one of the biggest reasons is it's hell on the wiring & the engine & everything except bare fiberglass; plus a storm surge can easily pull a big heavy boat for miles along the bottom.

As for an engine that hasn't been turned over since sinking, well you notice the mechanic didn't offer to buy it, huh? Yeah yeah CLick & Clack recommend Marvel Mystery Oil too (basically it's saturated with lead oxides & sulphur not much mystery) so maybe if you rub it on the wiring it would help that too.

FB- Doug

People at least USED to do it with small boats, dinghys etc. that had no complex mechanical systems to trash.

Methinks the ad poster is a little lacking in his historical details. The fiberglass mouldings will be fine after a good pressure washing but......

The trailer in the ad looks decent, it's the only thing of value he has to offer.

Not CL but a good one:

From the ad:

"Nothing serious", "Not that big a deal", "Has not turned over since she went down", "Should be fine", "Should fire right up".

Hey, sounds fine to me - what's the problem?

The seller is a delusional liar.

Or perhaps he has obtained the services of a "Delusionist".

http://oglaf.com/delusionist/

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3971448861.html

1964 Wheeler 40' SS Minnow - Needs TLC - $1 (Deserted Island)
00C0C_ctjm7c7zQMk_600x450.jpg

This classic beauty is a 1964 40' Wheeler. She needs a bit of TLC to make her as good as new. Crewed by a loving "Skipper" and his first mate she has made many "Three hour cruises". She spend several years of life in dry dock on a small tropical island. Her two, 230 horse power Detroit engines were used to make a washing machine, a generator and a coconut milking machine. Her solid wooden hull needs minor repair.

The television show "Gilligans Island" gave me my passions for boats. One of the original boats has been restored and now lives in BC Canada. Please boat safely and have a great summer.

Not a mock but looks like a interesting offer for someone looking for a gentlemens day sailor..

Sailmaster 22 1969 sailboat - project boat - $300 (Weems Creek)

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3943030985.html

That seems like a VERY doable project - you could make a birdsmouth spar for the missing mast - new rigging and you'd have a neat little gunkholer for probably less than $1500.

And as long as you didn't install an interior, the leaks into the cabin wouldn't be a big deal. The 1969 centerboard mechanism looks original. What could possibly go wrong? The driftwood strewn around the deck and coaming could be belt-sanded into submission.

Sorry, but that looks like gentleman's chainsaw bait to me.

And as long as you didn't install an interior, the leaks into the cabin wouldn't be a big deal. The 1969 centerboard mechanism looks original. What could possibly go wrong? The driftwood strewn around the deck and coaming could be belt-sanded into submission.

To each his own - I agree w/the no or minimalist interior, but, that little boat isn't much bigger than your Hobie, and looks solid enough and has lines pretty enough that I think she'd be worth saving. That said - I do have an admitted savior complex for old boats, bikes, cars and tools.

but, but.... it comes with a microwave

Not a mock but looks like a interesting offer for someone looking for a gentlemens day sailor..

Sailmaster 22 1969 sailboat - project boat - $300 (Weems Creek)

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3943030985.html

That seems like a VERY doable project - you could make a birdsmouth spar for the missing mast - new rigging and you'd have a neat little gunkholer for probably less than $1500.

I bet you'd blow more than $1500 on any rig that didn't involve clothesline hardware & blue tarp.

OTOH it's a pretty little boat. I would not be inclined to criticise anybody for going the distance with it.

FB- Doug

Sailmaster 22 1969 sailboat - project boat - $300 (Weems Creek)http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3943030985.html

I bet you'd blow more than $1500 on any rig that didn't involve clothesline hardware & blue tarp.

OTOH it's a pretty little boat. I would not be inclined to criticise anybody for going the distance with it.

FB- Doug

Don't know what you would pay but here is a mast and boom / rigging that I doubt would be more than $300..

http://delaware.craigslist.org/boa/3954949091.html

I am sure you could pay a lot more than 1500 to get to this but...

post-73454-0-72884800-1375313415_thumb.jpg

weemscreek_zpsca96d239.jpg

Still trying to figure out how long the power cord is for the onboard microwave and refer.

Sailmaster 22 1969 sailboat - project boat - $300 (Weems Creek)http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3943030985.html

FB- Doug

Don't know what you would pay but here is a mast and boom / rigging that I doubt would be more than $300..

I think we have a winner. Great looking and very "yachty" for little $$ and lots of sweat.

As opposed to this 21' Islander that is...missing??? Tsunami???

21 foot Islander Sail Boat - $1400 (berkeley)
00R0R_loCm4OynXXO_600x450.jpg

I have a nice/ clean 21ft Islander Sailboat for sale. The boat has 3 sails.... Main , Jib , Genoa .... all in great condition. Inside cabin has been painted and is very clean/ comfy. Outside of boat has been cleaned/ scrubed as well as bottom of boat. Comes with a 5hp "kicker" outboard motor. Very fun little Sailboat for the Bay. Berthed at Berkeley Marina in a transferable slip. Asking $1400 cash or B/O. thanks Dee * ** please include a contact # in your reply *** ( too many Spammers on Craigslist) thanks

To each his own - I agree w/the no or minimalist interior, but, that little boat isn't much bigger than your Hobie, and looks solid enough and has lines pretty enough that I think she'd be worth saving. That said - I do have an admitted savior complex for old boats, bikes, cars and tools.

That perfect one that TAK posted does show the potential, but the example in the ad looks to me like a hull with probable problems. The hull is the cheap part of a boat. I think it's priced a bit high at $300.

"Worth it" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, unless we're talking market value. No way could that be fixed up and sold for profit, but someone could fix it for personal use. It wouldn't make a lot of economic sense, but then, pleasure boat ownership never really does.

That perfect one that TAK posted does show the potential, but the example in the ad looks to me like a hull with probable problems. The hull is the cheap part of a boat. I think it's priced a bit high at $300.

"Worth it" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, unless we're talking market value. No way could that be fixed up and sold for profit, but someone could fix it for personal use. It wouldn't make a lot of economic sense, but then, pleasure boat ownership never really does.

Would generally agree about the "profit" with the exception to those with the tools and talents.. Have seen a couple little cape dorys rehabed by a group here in Maryland that do it as a business and sell them at the Anap boat show.

Indeed - as I said, I call my affliction a complex, in that when I make an emotional, romantic decision to save an old somethin' - that I invariably end up spending 2-3X what it would have cost me to go buy something already "nice". That's OK - my Quixotic attraction to such projects comes w/a realization that they're not going to be profitable. I'm satisfied when I can bring back something that was almost dead.

My current motorcycle? a 29 yr old FXRT. My last "big" boat? a 40 yr old wooden deadrise workboat that I got for hauling it away. I happened to have an old diesel engine sitting in my garage (another gimme for taking it away), replanked the bottom of the boat, installed the engine, and gave the boat away to a childhood buddy who was starting over after a divorce. He's still working her 11 yrs later, lavishing time and attention on her and providing me w/free crabs whenever I get over that way to visit. That one worked out. The previous bike I saved was an old Sportster that I hot-rodded, spending about $12K in the process, and ended up trading it for a minivan worth about 1/3 that amount. That one? Not so much.

FB- Doug

Never know until you ask... scavenging around for parts is a time-money substitution. One of the fun things about life, everybody gets to pick where they want to hang out on that curve. Spars and major parts are worth scavenging for, but if you include gas money for driving around then it's likely to end up costing more than you think.

Not trying to be discouraging here; that certainly has the potential to be a pretty little boat. Maybe go creative and put a gaff cutter rig on it?

FB- Doug

But they have real jobs to make money, right? ;)

Maybe the wives do.. :)

The only reason to take on that CL boat (or anything remotely like it) is because you enjoy and want the work and satisfaction of turning it into something like the perfect one.

Any other reason is a guaranteed loser.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, JonB.

Back to something we can mock.

Sorry, but putting a lawnmower engine on a skiff does not make a mini-airboat. It does, however, make an amusing contraption that is likely to move slowly over water and not at all over any other surface (since we don't have ice here). It's also pretty likely to capsize if he puts that rudder all the way over and gooses it. Real airboats have a LOT more power, but rolling one, especially in the direction assisted by the prop, doesn't require all that much.

00Z0Z_cyBgfVqwSZ3_600x450.jpg

Dude, you made me laugh so hard, that I farted. Thank God, I was home alone. :lol:

Includes rutter AND rutter extension, in case you need to extend your rutter!

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/3884690029.html

3Kc3tb3qb5r55F15q2d6k4b820d345c5c1ee4.jp

When I'm rutting my rutter is fully extended.

Glad I could be of service. :D

Sounds like it's time to look for another lower-unit from a junk OB.

I found one yesterday, a pull-off from a junk motor that is untested, might or might not have good seals and gears. $300. I'd pay that much for one with fresh seals, or even an old one that had been pressure tested and not re-sealed.

I'm going to keep looking.

This is one of those headscratcher photos.

What on earth is he trying to sell with this photo?

Anyone who knows what they're looking at is going to run away. Anyone who doesn't know what they're looking at is just going to wonder why the doors don't close.

00v0v_tQBfSyQfpc_600x450.jpg

http://http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/3959294832.html

This is one of those headscratcher photos.

What on earth is he trying to sell with this photo?

Anyone who knows what they're looking at is going to run away. Anyone who doesn't know what they're looking at is just going to wonder why the doors don't close.

00v0v_tQBfSyQfpc_600x450.jpg

http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/3959294832.html

My guess is that he is proud of his wiring job and wants to share.

15. It's a party. A mad hiney party. Picture a buffet. . .and every serving tray is filled with crazy good hiney. That's this boat. Your boat. You're the master of the butt buffet. . .now come get your chariot.

(Please ignore reason number 15 in the event that you are happily married, not in the mood for a buffet of butt, or just not a fan of that sales technique - it was a joke...sort of.)

That's a riot!

Well, it IS a cheap price and the sail inventory is... confusing.

three sails (two jibs and two mainsails) worth $500. Boat has a new battery. The motor works well enough and you can motor the boat to wherever you want. You can't sail it right now because the rudder needs to be replaced. Call me and I will give you more details. ... $2000 is a firm price but I am willing to negotiate.

I'm actually considering it, but hoping I can get an appointment to see Dr. Dylan and recover.

"Firm price but willing to negotiate"?

Not just the sail wardrobe that's confusing.

As if the toy mast is not bad enough, there is some other pole in between the radar and the mast.

That boat appears to have exactly one seat with a water view, which is a sort of accomplishment. At least it's the helm seat.