blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

00I0I_7EDApWussV7_600x450.jpg

Sort of Mock Worthy? 12k for a 43' semi-custom schooner. 1979 Gitana 43' semi-custom schooner needs TLC & deck repair.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/5961723802.html

That's a really cool boat, potentially. With that hull, flush deck, and independent-schooner rig, it's gotta be French. Unfortunately it looks like it's been used as a home for manic-depressive squirrels. Lots more to fix than just TLC and a deck; gotta wonder why there is no current photo of the engine among the offerings.

FB- Doug

God, why would you PUT most of those photos into an ad ?!? You know, the hull's lines aren't the worst I've seen, - somebody really could have done just a LITTLE cosmetic work and at least make that LOOK like something other than a need for a tetanus booster.

And maybe not mock worthy?

Why just buy a boat when you can buy an '86 cat - under construction - and the whole company. Only 2.95 Million.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/boa/5954569771.html

If I'm not mistaken, Warren Buffet buys most of his companies from Craig's List.

God, why would you PUT most of those photos into an ad ?!? You know, the hull's lines aren't the worst I've seen, - somebody really could have done just a LITTLE cosmetic work and at least make that LOOK like something other than a need for a tetanus booster.

Not to mention probably needing a respirator before going below. With the discoloration on the bulkhead, likely mold spores throughout. High humidity in Dallas.

This one looks like a bargain...

Description: 12m Steel Keeler designed by Brent Swain, set up for single handed in Southern Ocean.

Launched 1986, Yanmar diesel, Steel mast with S/S rigging, furling headsail,

leisure furl main, Windvane selfsteering, wind generator, solar panels.

auto anchoring, diesel heater, Two single berths and one double.

centre cockpit aft cabin, VHF, SSB, GPS/Plotter, auto pilot, sounder.

Fishfinder, radar, windspeed, TV, DVD, stereo, lots of extra gear, Zodiac and outboard.

Owner retiring from sailing, great for two for offshore.

STEEL mast?? JFC, nothing like more weight aloft. Seriously, Swain aficionados' disdain extends even to aluminum?

I'll bet you could sit in the middle of a Cat 3 hurricane and ride it out safely, but I question the sailing characteristics.

Description: 12m Steel Keeler designed by Brent Swain, set up for single handed in Southern Ocean.

Fishfinder, radar, windspeed, TV, DVD, stereo, lots of extra gear, Zodiac and outboard.

STEEL mast?? JFC, nothing like more weight aloft. Seriously, Swain aficionados' disdain extends even to aluminum?

I'll bet you could sit in the middle of a Cat 3 hurricane and ride it out safely, but I question the sailing characteristics.

Steel

Because nothing be stronger except rock, and they can't figure out how to make a mast out of rock

-FB- Doug

Rock isn't stronger than origami steel.

But wait....

Paper beats rock, so....

Shouldn't we be making our origami boats out of paper?

But wait....

Paper beats rock, so....

Shouldn't we be making our origami boats out of paper?

Plywood is almost paper.

Is "auto anchoring" the Swainites term for running aground????

Twp phrases hardly ever seen in the same sentence... "Arlberg" and "Mach II."

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5996243424.html

Or maybe the seller is from Boston.

I'm not sure how to take this: "Priced in USD but payment is acceptable in Canadian Dollars at a 10% reduction in the money exchange rate at the time of sale." Is that 10% less or 10% more?

I'm not sure how to take this: "Priced in USD but payment is acceptable in Canadian Dollars at a 10% reduction in the money exchange rate at the time of sale." Is that 10% less or 10% more?

Either way would be fun to carry in a briefcase to Guatemala, where the boat is...

Sale wouldn't have anything to do with three separate pirate attacks in the area two weeks ago? Starting to sound like the set-up for the next Coen brother's movie.

Either way would be fun to carry in a briefcase to Guatemala, where the boat is...

Sale wouldn't have anything to do with three separate pirate attacks in the area two weeks ago? Starting to sound like the set-up for the next Coen brother's movie.

That was my thought...transferring funds is going to attract a lot of attention and hassles.

Marinas in Rio Dulce 'somewhat' safe, at anchor or underway not so much. Stuff they can steal/rob from a yacht is equal to several months pay.

I know that Alberg. Always in good condition with upgraded equipment and such. As to pirate attacks, those victims would be the same people walking on the wrong side of Chicago at night.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/5992443709.html

00E0E_lSVkg6J6Z88_600x450.jpg

00202_hT3txbfcAuZ_600x450.jpg

07 FLYING TIGER 10 METER RACING SAILBOAT - $15000

THIS RACING SAILBOAT IS LOCATED IN MARINA DEL REY IN A SLIP. IT IS MISSING THE BOOM, RUDDER, SOME RIGGING AND SAILS. IT HAS A NISSAN ENGINE (RETRACTABLE) AND VHF RADIO ETC... GREAT PROJECT BOAT. NO TIME WASTERS OR DREAMERS PLEASE

Whoa, run away from those Irwin 37s. Built like absolute crap, and don't sail well enough to bother sorting out, even without damage.

Whoa, run away from those Irwin 37s. Built like absolute crap, and don't sail well enough to bother sorting out, even without damage.

But, but, it's free!

But, but, it's free!
A case where free is too much. They're seriously shitty boats. Some Irwins are pretty good, not those, not the 321/2, not the 10/4.

But, but, it's free!
A case where free is too much. They're seriously shitty boats. Some Irwins are pretty good, not those, not the 321/2, not the 10/4.

Agree

You could drag it into the back yard, turn it upside down, and make a shed out of it.

An ugly shed. Probably with a leaky roof.

FB- Doug

THIS RACING SAILBOAT IS LOCATED IN MARINA DEL REY IN A SLIP. IT IS MISSING THE BOOM, RUDDER, SOME RIGGING AND SAILS. IT HAS A NISSAN ENGINE (RETRACTABLE) AND VHF RADIO ETC... GREAT PROJECT BOAT. NO TIME WASTERS OR DREAMERS PLEASE

If you're selling parts of a ten year old race boat, excluding dreamers and time wasters from the target market might not be wise.

Similarly, there's a marketing deficiency in the Irwin ad. You're trying to give away a POS and want "serious inquiries only"?

The trimaran foil project looks interesting to me. It doesn't look well built nor does it look like it could fly on foils even if it held together. But it's fascinating that someone actually built it and I'd like to see more details of their madness. It might be a fractal mistake.

?? Looks like a Walker Bay dinghy with a bunch of 'stuff' glued onto it. Including a plastic lawn chair.

$_27.JPG

Doesn't really look very 'experimental' really

FB- Doug

?? Looks like a Walker Bay dinghy with a bunch of 'stuff' glued onto it. Including a plastic lawn chair.

$_27.JPG

FB- Doug

Experimental sounds much better than "I built this while smoking crack"

If that's a tow-rope, it suggests that at least one experiment was conducted. Which might have been fun to watch.

Though I can't quite make out whether that's a "foil" or a diving plane...

DouG will be along shortly to explain to us how these foils won't work - but his ones do - so well they've had parts of his ideas copied by nearly every foil based sailing program to date and then go into a lengthy diatribe including coloured text cut/paste paragraphs about how right he is.

DouG will be along shortly to explain to us how these foils won't work - but his ones do - so well they've had parts of his ideas copied by nearly every foil based sailing program to date and then go into a lengthy diatribe including coloured text cut/paste paragraphs about how right he is.

How do we know that's not one of do-Ug's 'experiments'?

$_27.JPG

FB- Doug

Date Listed 10-Feb-17 Price
$900.00
Address Gibsons, BC V0N1V8

View map For Sale By Owner Make Other Model -perimental trimaran hydrofoil Year 2017 Colour White

Perimental may be a new diagnosis. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)

They are always coming up with new ones and dropping others by accepting previous abnormal behavior as normal.

$_27.JPG

FB- Doug

An experiment can be a fractal mistake. In fact, the Flyin' Hawaiian thread is where I learned that phrase.

You're saying there's a fractal mistake there? Like a Paisley pattern that keeps on repeating itself, or a like a lot of mistakes that create a pattern?

You're saying there's a fractal mistake there? Like a Paisley pattern that keeps on repeating itself, or a like a lot of mistakes that create a pattern?

Yes.

The definition given at the time was "wrong at every level of resolution."

It's still one of the funniest things I have seen on this forum.

Fractal wrongness: where something or someoe is wrong at every possible resolution.

Do you think the flux-capacitor is automatically engaged when you lower the dagger board? That's the way I would do it.

If you're selling parts of a ten year old race boat, excluding dreamers and time wasters from the target market might not be wise.

Similarly, there's a marketing deficiency in the Irwin ad. You're trying to give away a POS and want "serious inquiries only"?

The trimaran foil project looks interesting to me. It doesn't look well built nor does it look like it could fly on foils even if it held together. But it's fascinating that someone actually built it and I'd like to see more details of their madness. It might be a fractal mistake.

The details of the madness might be patient/doctor priveledge.

$_27.JPG

FB- Doug

Ah yes....Gibsons. The Surrey of the Sunshine Coast

Date Listed

10-Feb-17

Price

$900.00

Address

Gibsons, BC V0N1V8

View map

For Sale By

Owner

Make

Other

Model

-perimental trimaran hydrofoil

Year

Colour

White

Perimental may be a new diagnosis. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental [/size]Disorders (DSM-5)[/size]

They are always coming up with new ones and dropping others by accepting previous abnormal behavior as normal.[/size]

Mmmmmmmmmmm pork hocks

Finished-Schweinshaxe.jpg

^^ Goddam PY, that is one of the best looking dishes of food I have seen in a long time. Where can I get some?

Bull, here is the recipe. It's pretty easy and one of my favorites. The other option is to buy a plane ticket to Munich.

Roasted Pork Hocks

Ingredients

2 Pork hocks 3 – 3.5 lbs

1 teaspoon salt

1 / 2 tsp pepper

1 cup water

1 Onion

½ bottle of beer (I usually use more and drink 1 or 2 while this cooks)

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 390F.

Cut the skin of the skin of the pork hocks in a diamond-shaped manner. Season with salt & pepper Add 1 cup of water to a roasting pan and add the pork hocks. Bake on the middle rack for approx. 2 1/2 hours. Baste the hocks every 15 minutes or so with the liquid form the bottom of the roaster. (the roaster should never go dry, add water (or beer) if required. Quarter the onion and add to the roaster after approx. 1 1/2 h. After 2 hours, increase the temperature to 450f. Baste the hicks, frequently with the beer. Once done, remove the hocks from the roaster and keep warm. Dissolve the anything stuck to the bottom of the roaster with a little water and strain into a pot. Bring to a boil and season with salt & pepper. Serve un-thickened

Serve with dumplings, cucumber salad or cole slaw etc.

https://nwga.craigslist.org/boa/5960515166.html

This one comes without a Mask

That's too bad. Considering it comes equipped with fungus, I wouldn't want to enter without a mask.

Holds water, no interior, some fungus, no mask

00i0i_8OKppu6iCxe_1200x900.jpg

I see the ad describes the condition as 'fair'.

That's what I thought, what a bummer. Or it just got abandoned at the slip like that?

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/5990912966.html

00O0O_4lv6ezujsKS_1200x900.jpg

'Boat has head size hole in front hull'

​There might be an interesting back story on how the 'head sized' hole got there, but at least the rear hull is watertight.

Bull, here is the recipe. It's pretty easy and one of my favorites. The other option is to buy a plane ticket to Munich.

Roasted Pork Hocks

Ingredients

2 Pork hocks 3 – 3.5 lbs

1 teaspoon salt

1 / 2 tsp pepper

1 cup water

1 Onion

Preparation

Cut the skin of the skin of the pork hocks in a diamond-shaped manner. Season with salt & pepper Add 1 cup of water to a roasting pan and add the pork hocks. Bake on the middle rack for approx. 2 1/2 hours. Baste the hocks every 15 minutes or so with the liquid form the bottom of the roaster. (the roaster should never go dry, add water (or beer) if required. Quarter the onion and add to the roaster after approx. 1 1/2 h. After 2 hours, increase the temperature to 450f. Baste the hicks, frequently with the beer. Once done, remove the hocks from the roaster and keep warm. Dissolve the anything stuck to the bottom of the roaster with a little water and strain into a pot. Bring to a boil and season with salt & pepper. Serve un-thickened

PY, are those apples or potato slices in the lower right of the photo? Are the other things dumplings?

Hubba hubba!

Roasted Pork Hocks

Ingredients

2 Pork hocks 3 – 3.5 lbs

1 teaspoon salt

1 / 2 tsp pepper

1 cup water

1 Onion

Preparation

PY, are those apples or potato slices in the lower right of the photo? Are the other things dumplings?

Sliced raw potatoes and Tater Tots, respectively. Yum.

$_27.JPG

FB- Doug

An experiment can be a fractal mistake. In fact, the Flyin' Hawaiian thread is where I learned that phrase.

Hotrods dinner.

Tater tots are easy if you have left over mashed potatoes. Make little ball of mashed potatoes, drop into the pan, flatten and fry. Yum, indeed.

Or "Georgia Strait".

They oughtta spell yaught right, but it's a Sceptre 36, a misspelled and really nice design.

If Trump and Joe devalue the Canadian Peso, will an import tariff be needed to fix NAFTA the worst deal ever in order to pay for the wall? Asking for a Sceptre 36 shopper in the US.

Or "Georgia Strait".

They oughtta spell yaught right, but it's a Sceptre 36, a misspelled and really nice design.

If Trump and Joe devalue the Canadian Peso, will an import tariff be needed to fix NAFTA the worst deal ever in order to pay for the wall? Asking for a Sceptre 36 shopper in the US.

Right now they are duty-free. If Drumpf starts slapping tariffs on everything all bets are off. So far the Canadian peso is holding it's own and actually slowly increasing against the greenback.

"Sceptre" is a valid spelling, especially considering our French influence.

Or "Georgia Strait".

Sceptre 36, a really nice design.

Good looking and well built but not that fast - PHRF of 135 which is a tad slow for a 36'.

I never cared much for that faceted transom.

That is kinda slow. I recall how tall the rig looked when I was tied up alongside one for a couple of days several years ago, and I thought overall it was a nice boat.

For the money, I'd say they're a good deal. While not helping the speed the skeg and shape at the stern and the high bow might add up to a good sailing and cruising boat. Looking fast is half the battle anyway.

A pint....of gas!!

and a match. don't forget the match.

They couldn't drag it out of the swamp for pics?

That's a full scale Morgan Out Island catastrophe. One of the worst kinds, though they do get bigger and thus worse with scale.

The future probably involves heavy equipment and a landfill. Terms available. Available.

There's quite a lot of well seasoned ply there, paging Mr Swain...

Gee, for $8,500 plus hundreds of boat bucks, you could have a real dream boat, or a DIY project that will keep you busy for last 50 years!

It only needs a "little" work

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/5978071318.html

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Shucks, it only needs A LITTLE work!

And if you think it costs too much, think about this one instead... only $400

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/6006342968.html

Yep, for the low price of only four hundred of your hard-earned dollars, you can own a fiberglass shell of a boat that has had it's cabin top sawed off, and some other random stuff that might even include old tires if you ask nice.

FB- Doug

Well, it comes with lots of teak

Looks like it had one big leak - the terminal kind.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Shucks, it only needs A LITTLE work!

Yep, for the low price of only four hundred of your hard-earned dollars, you can own a fiberglass shell of a boat that has had it's cabin top sawed off, and some other random stuff that might even include old tires if you ask nice.

FB- Doug

At first glance I thought this was a concrete block in front of the boat. That would be one oddly tiny boat.

00t0t_KKW9MC9Y7L_1200x900.jpg

FB- Doug

At first glance I thought this was a concrete block in front of the boat. That would be one oddly tiny boat.

00t0t_KKW9MC9Y7L_1200x900.jpg

Quite obviously that is a carefully controlled experiment involving the weathering of plywood vs dimension lumber, still in the early stages. Perhaps you know something about that? ;)