blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

That C&C 25 looks brand new. It's likely that 95k is a fair price for time and materials. Too bad nobody told the owner that life's not fair.

Look closely at the 25'er. Everything looks new. If the owner installed a new little saidrive and replaced and refit absolutely everything and paid the yard to do all of it, that could have cost 50k, and he wants double his money thinking that's a reasonable expectation. My guess. The $400 hatch is part of my suspicion.

Yea, I just read the ad and my theory is right. Of course I have no idea about profit. It was a guess at first!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/6012331882.html

$2,650 12 foot hand made one of a kind wooden sailboat. Made from plans designed by a noted New England wooden boat builder. Only used once to test water integrity. Includes sails, oars, and small electric motor, canvas cover and storage dolly. Can take up to a 5 Hp gasoline motor.

I'd say it is a (mis)labor of love. It is just me or is just about everything wrong on this boat apart from the varnish and inlay work? Fish eye lens effect on third photo doesn't help.

00Z0Z_SowSvUMVxD_600x450.jpg

I'm guessing he saw a picture of a kick-up rudder and didn't realize it was supposed to go down at some point.

00c0c_2VhNmzHCK1E_1200x900.jpg

Overall, it looks like a good woodworker met a totally inept boat designer.

00C0C_78dV2Y66xEZ_1200x900.jpg

If I had a boat that pretty, I'd also use it once and then (very carefully) put it away and take out my plastic and metal ones to actually use.

Good reason not to have a boat that pretty.

I'm guessing he saw a picture of a kick-up rudder and didn't realize it was supposed to go down at some point.

00c0c_2VhNmzHCK1E_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_78dV2Y66xEZ_1200x900.jpg

It's a Swifty. They are OK boats, if they have any advantage it's that they are a bit more stable than more traditional-looking boats. I agree they are funny-looking, a friend built one years back and our reaction was pretty much "why would you want to build -that-?"

Some folks just want to be different.

FB- Doug

Thanks to Steam Flyer, a Shell design Swifty 12. The rudder has been built as per plan / design. Modified sail plan to include jib, and main boom (instead of wishbone). Quirky design, sails bow down. Youtube videos show decent speed / nimbleness in low / medium breeze. Cant find any videos of moderate to strong breeze though ;)

As Steam Flyer said, some folks just want to be different. Here is another of Shell's designs.

Schooner_21_500x375_Dscn3301.jpg

Anyway, sorry to take the topic off track - perhaps the original CL post was not mock worthy.

This ad is more admirable than mockable, and has nothing to do with sailboats, but I thought you all might enjoy it anyways:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/peterborough/1994-ski-doo-alpine-ii-snowmobile/1241320810

For posterity, here is the text, in case it disappears quickly:

What we have here is a great specimen of the workhorse snowmobile design.

With two tracks this machine pulls harder than a chronic masterbator on steroids having a siezure.

Like the majestic unicorn and that chronic pork sword polisher this beast also has one protrusion out in front and knows how to handle it.

Similar to a triple bladed Venus Gillette razor this thing can cut trails through bush like no other.

Trying to find a Alpine 2 in better shape than this one here would be more time consuming than trying to eat a clock.

Like a Texans favorite kind of chair this thing is also electric start, and like an overweight Texan during a heat wave they are both fan cooled.

With high and low range and also a reverse gear you can go where you want, unlike my uncle serving parole.

This winter workhorse of wonder, willfully wisks whatever wagon you wish to be wed to her with its pintle hitch.

Unlike the gym facilities of my old high school this actually has two tracks in good condition.

As you can see in the pictures the windshield is clearer than a colon after a Windex enema.

With electric grip heaters that keep your digits warmer than wool underwear this machine has it all.

No trades, unless maybe you got magic beans. But even still, I will need your word that you will help slay the giant when the time arrives.

If you see this ad it's still available like my hunchback neighbor with the unibrow and the club feet. With one big difference being the sled is actually desirable.

That reminds me of the ad for a 4X4 that among other funny comments stated "Does the 4 wheel drive work? Hell yes - like a Dickensian orphan"

I ran an ad of that sort once. They actually work.

Man, I've got a lot of stuff to get rid of this year... I've been thinking of running one along the lines of "Take Over My LIfe: $1M OBO"

There is no comment I can think of

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/5998468017.html

00o0o_56J0lQ9V3Nx_600x450.jpg

74 minn Kota

Boat is a lot of fun and work very well

2.5 motor

Or sail away

With a trailer

With title

Super cool little boat for not a lot of money

1100$cash

Cal or Tex

attachicon.gif00303_4GTeGjHMDTg_600x450.jpg

Words fail me at this point.

FB- Doug

Looks like words failed him, too. Cal or Tex? Are those people or communication options?

There is no comment I can think of

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/5998468017.html

00o0o_56J0lQ9V3Nx_600x450.jpg

74 minn Kota

Boat is a lot of fun and work very well

2.5 motor

Or sail away

With a trailer

With title

Super cool little boat for not a lot of money

1100$cash

Cal or Tex

attachicon.gif00303_4GTeGjHMDTg_600x450.jpg

Words fail me at this point.

FB- Doug

Not much different from the crap that Reinell sold in the 70's. Cal & Tex might even be a little more honest about it.

main.jpgmain.jpg

I think that's a pretty cool old motorboat but as usual, putting a mast on a motorboat is a questionable idea.

Given the age of the motor, it may not be a bad idea.

Sheesh! The things Sailors will do to get to the 4th mode.

Not much different from the crap that Reinell sold in the 70's. Cal & Tex might even be a little more honest about it.

main.jpg

Hey, last summer there was one of these on the mooring right across from me. Really nice couple owns it. It has standing headroom in a 22' boat, and they use that standing headroom to keep a full bar stocked. And when you sail past them (and you will sail past them) if you wave him down he'll fix a shot and hand it over in a dixie cup while you pass.

Looks like they put the keel in the wrong place the first time,

"hey Billy-bob, we better move that keel forward some."

"chop the old one most of the way off before we build the new one"

WTF?

The VdS Pion was an early IOR half ton sloop, someone put a mizzen on it and presumably gave themselves some helm issues.

The traditional way to solve this is fitting a bowsprit and moving the forestay forward, but no .....

That marine railway contraption confuses me at least as much as the extra keel.

27_3.jpg

So is that boat really just resting on the keel and one forward strap?

27_3.jpg

The mast base will be strapped to the forward supports, the aft ones are tied to the winches.

Weight sits on the keel.

SOP around here ....

"value-for-money" what does that even mean in this instance?

Hey, last summer there was one of these on the mooring right across from me. Really nice couple owns it. It has standing headroom in a 22' boat, and they use that standing headroom to keep a full bar stocked. And when you sail past them (and you will sail past them) if you wave him down he'll fix a shot and hand it over in a dixie cup while you pass.

Lk Nokomis??

27_3.jpg

The mast base will be strapped to the forward supports, the aft ones are tied to the winches.

Weight sits on the keel.

SOP around here ....

I was wondering whether that rope headed toward the cockpit was structural.

I would think stretch would be a problem in the structure.

Lk Nokomis??

You know them?

You know them?

Nah, I didn't meet them. I was treated to a superb sunny daysail aboard a (your???) Catalina last August, and your description of the boat and people made all kinds of sense.

You know them?

Nah, I didn't meet them. I was treated to a superb sunny daysail aboard a (your???) Catalina last August, and your description of the boat and people made all kinds of sense.

Oh, so you know me. My apologies.

Didn't we have to do a crew overboard drill for your hat?

Yes, the HOB drill! That was a fine and memorable day.

Thanks again, it made the waterlust bearable. Nothing more torturous than working a project three blocks away from the lake and never getting afloat; you and yours made it happen!

Cool idea but I'd want something better than blue masking tape to seal those underwater ports.

Not a boat but stupid never the less...

Boat Oar Photo Frame Hanger "Heirloom Blue"

$120.00

$_20.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redland-bay/other-home-decor/boat-oar-photo-frame-hanger-heirloom-blue-/1138328806

" Time Worn, Repurposed, Reborn."

And it's not even that.

Its not even attractive.

$120.00

$_20.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redland-bay/other-home-decor/boat-oar-photo-frame-hanger-heirloom-blue-/1138328806

" Time Worn, Repurposed, Reborn."

And it's not even that.

Hipster bait.

I want one.

From the Ad "please leave your phone number , last person left message but no number so try again please"

He really is an idiot if he still wants to talk to me after that message I left...I asked him to send me a few shots from inside whilst it is submerged.

$120.00

$_20.JPG

holy shit I have 4 of those oars sitting in the tack room.. I can make a mint..

Been for sale for YEARS now.

Definitely the most elaborate stairs afloat - ever.

Is there a thread for [dub]ious cribbing awards? Bonus for boat length vs stick size?

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/6026822483.html

00c0c_cgqHy84OAqd_600x450.jpg

For some wry humour, I note that Recycling fees in Vancouver have people trying to give away that stuff to avoid the cost.

When you see how many worn out "The Brick" or Ikea couches, furniture or mattresses enter the garbage stream it is sobering. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/6026822483.html

They recycle the furniture on Annasis Island.

If you are interested in materials, call and you can pick up the reclaimed polyester fill, sheets,fabric, various woods and even serviceable pillows for your "green" post-consumer projects, for a small donation. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/zip/5955082135.html

Stairs that vary in depth and size and shape are pretty dangerous I would think.

Stairs that vary in depth and size and shape are pretty dangerous I would think.

It's a feature. They are designed to look and feel straight in rough seas (or with a few drinks)

It's a feature. They are designed to look and feel straight in rough seas (or with a few drinks)

That's probably the official upchuck toilet.

Should I understand someone actually spent 650k$ over the course of 1 year to get to that??

Should I understand someone actually spent 650k$ over the course of 1 year to get to that??

No, it's probably better to just mock and laugh. If you start to understand it, Polynavicular Morbus Boatbuilderus can set in and before you know it, you're Hot Rod.

I think there's a boat building business and property in Raymond Washington involved.

It's fairly easy to locate via Google Earth.

Another laughable ad from Gumtree Australia.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/macleay-island/sail-boats/37-ft-compass-live-aboard/1140864778

Described as a Compass 37 in the heading (no such yacht) and also as a 1990 Cougar in the description (Cougar make power boats), it appears to have been painted internally with water based paint which is now peeling badly. The condition of the engine also suggest she has been submerged. $12,000 ??? No thanks.

BTW if anyone recognises this design please let me know, I'm truly baffled.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/macleay-island/sail-boats/37-ft-compass-live-aboard/1140864778

Described as a Compass 37 in the heading (no such yacht) and also as a 1990 Cougar in the description (Cougar make power boats), it appears to have been painted internally with water based paint which is now peeling badly. The condition of the engine also suggest she has been submerged. $12,000 ??? No thanks.

I'm guessing $12K is AU$, so not quite as bad. Glass over cedar strip and poor fit and finish suggests a home-built. It's pretty ugly. Would be sub $5K here in Florida.

Randomly looking at boats and this popped up. All yours for just under 10K!

5626551_20160203065123979_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

5626551_20160203065154369_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Autocostruita-Chatam-33-2931057/Roma/Italy#.WLq4kDhMT1s

Looks like it could be used in a re-make of "Water World" "Rust Never Sleeps"...

FIFY

Extra distortion, sounds just like Neil

FB- Doug

Nice traveler. Are you supposed to quickly pass the car over the gap when you tack?

5626551_20160203065245245_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

What's with that rat's nest of chain? There's nothing there with tension on it.

00n0n_eUK1Z49kbFl_1200x900.jpg

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/5994680881.html

ONLY 3M$ AND it comes with a jet-ski!! What an opportunity.

I like also how you can also turn it into a power cat. It reminds me of my Legos, there was always an alternate design.

I like the idea of the head in the stairway. Easily accessible on either level

Nice shot of the rutters.

Nice traveler. Are you supposed to quickly pass the car over the gap when you tack?

Hah! Looks like a hacksaw owner got tired of stepping over it. I admit to having thought of doing that in an angry moment but actually getting out the saw and doing it is a whole different matter.

The boat looks like it was someone's dream a long time ago. I hope it got used. It's just a nightmare now.

I'm guessing $12K is AU$, so not quite as bad. Glass over cedar strip and poor fit and finish suggests a home-built. It's pretty ugly. Would be sub $5K here in Florida.
That's what is worth in reality here now as well. I know this design. A distance cousin of Bruce Farr designed it. He married a Korean girl and hyphenated their names. This is a Farr-Kme 37.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/devonport/sail-boats/steel-project-yacht-35-foot-4k-neg-new-vetus-engine-gearbox-8k/1140981711

I'm thinking that this boat represents negative value for any purchaser.....

FKT

The hole in the keel is intriguing.

$_20.JPG

That's where the perspex goes for the underwater view ports. Or it's the largest, oddest shaped and stupid place for a thruster I've ever come across.

The hull looks like it's been welded up from diagonal strips of steel. That's the second one I've seen like that, the other was named PEGASUS and on the hard at Margate south of Hobart. Amazing amount of welding to get a stripy hull that was sort of round bilge. I thought the weld seams should have been painted black & the boat renamed ZEBRA. It too was for sale cheap.

FKT

Had to adjust the CGF to get it to rate in.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/devonport/sail-boats/steel-project-yacht-35-foot-4k-neg-new-vetus-engine-gearbox-8k/1140981711

I'm thinking that this boat represents negative value for any purchaser.....

FKT

It says right in the ad "$4K Neg."

It's a cocktail napkins designed version of the infamous "tandem keel" design.

It's an actual thing, I swear.

Same sheeting arrangement as for a headsail; one on each side.

With a limit on how far you can sheet in before the car falls off the track. So you can't ever harden up.

Because everybody knows that gentlemen never go to windward.

Same sheeting arrangement as for a headsail; one on each side.

With a limit on how far you can sheet in before the car falls off the track. So you can't ever harden up.

Because everybody knows that gentlemen never go to windward.

There's a nice Wichard snaphook that's worth a tenner . . .