blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

A little Vegemite and good as new.

4428845_20130805090755520_1_XLARGE.jpg

Fixed...sorta.

That Catalac has twin 35's with planing fins on the cavitation plates. I'm not sure which makes less sense: having that much power in the first place or the fins.

There's no way it's really going to plane, is there?

Actually, that owner deserves credit for finally proving that there's no way to make a Catalac any uglier.

It's not so much as two steering stations as "left the tiller where it was when wheel steering was added in the new pilothouse". Since a new tugboat style trawler of similar size goes for $100k, this seems like a downright sane alternative.. sorta.

Check out this beauty.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3935187309.html

Too bad the pictures don't show the mast up. It does look very short.

That's a gorgeous wheel house. It just needs to be on a different boat entirely. Two steering stations? Really?

Check out this beauty.

I put that one up a while back. When the ad shows interior pics you can see that it was actually quite well crafted. The design aspect however is...... lacking.

I'd consider a 40' sailboat or trawler in good condition for $15k too

I'd consider whether it was stolen, whether the owner was nutz and not the real owner at all, all kinds of things to consider...

One can dream. Or conversely get psychiatric help - a 40' non-project boat for $15K? I want some of what he's been taking or smoking.

Check out this beauty.

In the age of increasing fuel costs this kind of makes sense. Although not good looking it would be cheep to make, more efficient, and smoother under power than most powerboats out there. Starting with a shoal draft sailboat with a bit more volume would be good.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-601388704.htm

attachicon.gifsailsatdock.jpg

attachicon.gifkeellifter.jpg

I'd hope that the keel lifting thingy was just to install the keel.

My bet is he repurposed the chain hoist he had for moving his steel around when the boat was under construction. Shades of HotRod and the FH.

It IS only $50 grand though. :blink:

Yeah, I think I'd take those off and put a single. They are not far enough apart to do much twin engine maneuvering and without that advantage, they look an awful lot like twice as much maintenance and more drag for no major benefit. Of course, I stay near TowBoat US and pretty well trust a modern outboard that I have maintained to run all day.

The Cowmaran has extra long 25" shafts. Extra weight, but you can back into pretty much any wave without taking water over the cowling. I would have designed it to take 15" engines, but no one asked me.

Nah - you cannot have too long a shaft when beating ( :D ) into a head sea. Zooommmm-rrrroowwww-pfffffffffft the shaft comes in and out on every wave until you go nuts.

Out of tact includes elbows on the table, talking with a mouthful of food, and being dishonest about the best boat deal ever.

And now, for something completely different:

00z0z_6gDCJSbi6Nn_600x450.jpg

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3961212467.html

Sounds like Mrs Short is the one you want to talk to.

awww...the front fell off.

err...is that the back? Wait. Was it even there to begin with? Maybe it fell off the drawing. Or maybe Barbie built it "Bows are hard."

I love it how he says you can save yourself a grand if you buy it before does a load of upgrades, then goes on the describe the upgrades and they are 90% maintenance that is overdue.

• Downvote 1

Per this web site, the first San Francisco Pelican was designed by William Short in 1959, about decade before Bolger got into designing simplified boats for home builders. The Pelican is vastly simpler than the designs that came before like Rabel's Picaroon, and of course Bolger's designs are simpler yet. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a small Bolger Box with a trunk cabin. He went with flush decks unless appearance was important or a fairly high skill level could be expected.

By the way, one of the most notorious Bolger Boxes is his Jesse Cooper design. It's a 26-footer designed as a liveaboard for one man. The boat has various asymmetries in rig and daggerboard. Several have been built and they do work. The best known example is named TomBoy and is currently up for sail. I didn't find an ad listing, but there is this video - http://vimeo.com/41377280 - which is maddening since it's all taken from on board so there are no shots in which you can see what the boat actually looks like which is like this:

5Lc5N45Ma3Ff3N33Hec68aac19d333a5513f8.jp

Per this web site, the first San Francisco Pelican was designed by William Short in 1959, about decade before Bolger got into designing simplified boats for home builders. The Pelican is vastly simpler than the designs that came before like Rabel's Picaroon, and of course Bolger's designs are simpler yet. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a small Bolger Box with a trunk cabin. He went with flush decks unless appearance was important or a fairly high skill level could be expected.

By the way, one of the most notorious Bolger Boxes is his Jesse Cooper design. It's a 26-footer designed as a liveaboard for one man. The boat has various asymmetries in rig and daggerboard. Several have been built and they do work. The best known example is named TomBoy and is currently up for sail. I didn't find an ad listing, but there is this video - http://vimeo.com/41377280 - which is maddening since it's all taken from on board so there are no shots in which you can see what the boat actually looks like which is like this:

5Lc5N45Ma3Ff3N33Hec68aac19d333a5513f8.jp

bolger boxes do sail though

OK, Dylan, I've signed over $4.99 to KTL, so now I want personal service. Specifically, do you have a video showing sailing around Wells-next-to-the sea. I'm reading a murder mystery (Death's Door by Jim Kelly) set in that area.

OK, Dylan, I've signed over $4.99 to KTL, so now I want personal service. Specifically, do you have a video showing sailing around Wells-next-to-the sea. I'm reading a murder mystery (Death's Door by Jim Kelly) set in that area.

sure

loads of em

There was a couple around here that had a similar looking boat except it was in the 27 - 30ft range, and he had made it out of steel. It was a bit sticky in the light to medium breezes.

I can't quite decide if that's Paul Bunyan's Sabot or if it's a minature hay scow.

Looks like an Opti with a cuddy cabin built by a guy with a pirate / clipper ship fetish.

I'm familiar with the Pelican, it's supposed to be so seaworthy and a great sailing boat; I suppose it is compared to some of the really heavy, really badly-rigged lunkers that used to be more common. The pram bow throws a lot of spray and I think they're unhandy slugs but then I tend to compare boats to racing classes.

I'm surprised the list of promised "upgrades" don't include painting it a different color. Yellow?!?

FB- Doug

Actually the hay scow is pretty close. This is a San Pelican design and was modeled after the sailing scows that were workboat on the Bay and Sacramento River Delta. They were used as garbage scows back in the day and were pretty handy sailing according to most accounts. There is an excellently restored and maintained example at the Seaport Museum there on the SF waterfront. It is actually a National Park and one of the most interesting sights to see.

Actually the hay scow is pretty close. This is a San Pelican design and was modeled after the sailing scows that were workboat on the Bay and Sacramento River Delta. They were used as garbage scows back in the day and were pretty handy sailing according to most accounts. There is an excellently restored and maintained example at the Seaport Museum there on the SF waterfront. It is actually a National Park and one of the most interesting sights to see.

The SFB Pelican or the big scow?

A friend of mine built a Pelican, minus the piratey-looking cuddy windows, long long time back. Was totally friggin' obsessive about building it as though it were some kind of tremendously valuable artifact. he'd spend days and sometimes weeks on beveling one part. He did finish it and get it sailing.

He had been sailing 470s with me for fun and was utterly shocked by it's lack of performance; especially to windward (although his Pelican probably had the most perfect set of foils that any Pelican ever had). I had sailed a number of classic & gaff-rigged boats before and felt it was pretty good by comparison. It's probably one of the best beach cruiser designs going, it is VERY voluminous and yeah it can handle pretty tough weather... we took it out a number of days when I felt it was too windy for the 470 (which I did not want to break).

Just sayin' ... my standards of comparison are different from most other peoples.

FB- Doug

sure

loads of em

Thanks. I marvel at your ability to power down to the leisurely pace of the tides as they come and go. Maybe I could do that if I ever succeed in retiring.

sure

loads of em

Thanks. I marvel at your ability to power down to the leisurely pace of the tides as they come and go. Maybe I could do that if I ever succeed in retiring.

LOL

"And may the lord be with you..."

SWEET BOAT!/ Sailing Dingy - $270 (Port Angeles)
00c0c_iWlHL6IXLam_600x450.jpg

Boat school made Catboat with trailer.
Sixteen feet long, six-foot 9 inches a beam and approximately 2 feet to float her. Balasted keel, tiller with rudder. No rigging or hardware.

Thanks for considering a new home for this beautiful craft and may the Lord be with you...
yours faithfully in Christ Jesus,
daniel

Clicked on the ad because I thought the boat had nice lines. Anyone know what it is? Hope it wasn't really destroyed...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3997909546.htm

00303_9qaAozxVOp9_600x450.jpgl

"Steve Brown and Guy Crow both conspired to Destroy my boat. They did this without notifying me and tried to charge me moorage owed by a previous tenant after assuring me clear title. The boat was a classic and in very good condition. I am not the only one they have scammed on. They will tell you one thing then screw you the first chance they get. That's been my experience. PLEASE be careful, I do not recommend this marina. Feel free to contact me for details. Here is a picture of the boat they destroyed."

Clicked on the ad because I thought the boat had nice lines. Anyone know what it is? Hope it wasn't really destroyed...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3997909546.htm

00303_9qaAozxVOp9_600x450.jpgl

"Steve Brown and Guy Crow both conspired to Destroy my boat. They did this without notifying me and tried to charge me moorage owed by a previous tenant after assuring me clear title. The boat was a classic and in very good condition. I am not the only one they have scammed on. They will tell you one thing then screw you the first chance they get. That's been my experience. PLEASE be careful, I do not recommend this marina. Feel free to contact me for details. Here is a picture of the boat they destroyed."[/size]

I know nothing of the owners of that marina. We did check it out when boat and marina shopping. We called it The Marina of the Dead.

I thought "steel multihull" was simply an internet joke - until now.

WTF were they thinking?

Next someone will post a pic of a "ferrocement multihull".

"And may the lord be with you..."

SWEET BOAT!/ Sailing Dingy - $270 (Port Angeles)
00c0c_iWlHL6IXLam_600x450.jpg

Boat school made Catboat with trailer.

Sixteen feet long, six-foot 9 inches a beam and approximately 2 feet to float her. Balasted keel, tiller with rudder. No rigging or hardware.

Thanks for considering a new home for this beautiful craft and may the Lord be with you...

yours faithfully in Christ Jesus,

daniel

Bolger strikes again.

This is the Catfish Beach Cruiser. The actual hull is a multichine catboat like his very popular plywood adaptation of the Beetle Cat. The topsides however were adapted for a minimum cruiser. There is a centerline OB well on the transom and a spacious interior big enough to lie down. The problem is there is no where for the crew to sit while sailing except inside where they can't see. I'm not sure but what the cabin top has been cut back for a way so to give sitting room on the benches. There is a ballasted shoal keel.

Bolger later gave the hull a conventional daysailor treatment. I think that would be a very nice boat. As pictured here, it was too ambitious, and not a great success.

I thought "steel multihull" was simply an internet joke - until now.

WTF were they thinking?

Next someone will post a pic of a "ferrocement multihull".

Apparently you haven't been paying attention recently. This was from only last week:

$(KGrHqF,!lsFHUIBHk2BBR-lCvpPqg~~48_20.J

A SOLID aluminium mast? Who does that, it must be insanely heavy!

Saved for posterity:

I got 99 Problems and selling my sailboat is one.

yoyoyoyo

If you're having sea-sickness problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems and selling my sailboat is one.

I got the speed patrol on the USCG patrol
Foes that wanna make sure my speed's controlled.
Yacht critics say "A perfect working engine? What! That $hit's Dynamo."
She's speedy. I sail her weekly. Can't argue with my facts yo.
If you only like motorboats you can click fast forward.
Got a beef with a complete free retrofit? Don't come by for a show. . .
Don't tire kick for $hits you should be interested so
I'm moving from freshwater to saltwater sailah I ain't done
I got 99 problems and selling my sailboat is one
Email me.

Contact sailor-z for photos biatch.

Saved for posterity:

I got 99 Problems and selling my sailboat is one.

yoyoyoyo

If you're having sea-sickness problems I feel bad for you son,

I got 99 problems and selling my sailboat is one.

I got the speed patrol on the USCG patrol

Foes that wanna make sure my speed's controlled.

Yacht critics say "A perfect working engine? What! That $hit's Dynamo."

She's speedy. I sail her weekly. Can't argue with my facts yo.

If you only like motorboats you can click fast forward.

Got a beef with a complete free retrofit? Don't come by for a show. . .

Don't tire kick for $hits you should be interested so

I'm moving from freshwater to saltwater sailah I ain't done

I got 99 problems and selling my sailboat is one

Email me.

Contact sailor-z for photos biatch.

I am not entirely sure I'd want to buy a boat from Jesse Pinkman.

A little Bondo and good as new.

4428845_20130805090755520_1_XLARGE.jpg

I'd put a little rigging tape across that gap and go sailing! You can fix it properly with Bondo over the winter.

I'm surprised the list of promised "upgrades" don't include painting it a different color. Yellow?!?

FB- Doug

What's wrong with yellow? Makes it easy to spot your boat in a crowded parking lot!

6390057933_20a8ea9771_o.jpg

;)

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1962-Creekmore-36-102080397

The Lister engine is reported to turn over but has not been run in several years.

4428171_20130803102059373_1_LARGE.jpg?w=

Yeah, apparently the engine hasn't run in so long that the bridge deck has apparently incurred a little rot (or some other kind of structural failure) and the engine's water pump housing was incorporated into structural repairs.

Yowser!!

FB- Doug

The Lister engine is reported to turn over but has not been run in several years.

Yeah, apparently the engine hasn't run in so long that the bridge deck has apparently incurred a little rot (or some other kind of structural failure) and the engine's water pump housing was incorporated into structural repairs.

Yowser!!

FB- Doug

I believe it was done to hold the engine down when the mounts failed. Look at all the rust at the bottom of the pic.

Does anyone know who actually designed that series of Bayliner abortions?

Someone had to be responsible and they should be outed and publicly shamed.

Sailboatdata.com says Bob Neck & Clark Scarboro. They have been in witness protection ever since.

That one is the elusive and deluxe Bayliner Buccaneer 285 center cockpit version, highly prized by collectors everywhere. ;)

Sailboatdata.com says Bob Neck & Clark Scarboro. They have been in witness protection ever since.

That one is the elusive and deluxe Bayliner Buccaneer 285 center cockpit version, highly prized by collectors everywhere. ;)

They looked at that shape and said, "Yep, that'll sell!"

Some other guy looked at pretty much the same shape and said, "I know! I'll make it sort of plane! That'll sell!" Crazy fucker. Turned out to be right. ;)

Yowser!!

FB- Doug

I believe it was done to hold the engine down when the mounts failed. Look at all the rust at the bottom of the pic.

You're probably right

At one point in my life, I had a pickup truck with the engine wedged in place by some 2x4s. I could have fixed it, but it worked fine and I figured that 2x4s don't rust.

Still, it's not exactly a value-added feature especially on a sailboat, especially when it -doesn't- run

FB- Doug

Apologies in advance if some of these (or all) were already posted.

Large Boat for sale

Due to the bad economy, I can no longer afford to fill up the diesel tanks on this thing and pay my crew. Therefore, I am forced to sell my 1977 Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. New paint and propellors. 22 knots max. Looking for around $2,000,000 or best offer. No pirates or scammers.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

BUY MY STUPID COUSIN'S AWESOME KAYAK!
BUY MY STUPID COUSIN'S AWESOME KAYAK
My cousin is a grown up child man with all the best toys and here's your chance to own one of them!
Whilst between jobs - though both the one before and the one to come were both long out of sight - he needed a place to stay so he lived with me for a while. He paid rent for a while too, though one while was a lot shorter than the other while. He moved out to live with some buddies and left a bunch of his junk here. Sometimes he comes back to pick something up but somehow it always seems to coincide with needing to borrow money, though he doesn't seem to need to borrow it to pay me any rent.
One of the things he left - one of the largest things he left - is a kayak. A red kayak. It looks an awful lot like this, except it's red:
402098991.jpg
I asked him to tell me about it and this is what he typed:
KAYAK FOR SALE
PRIJON LUV 8'
Good Condition
River running playboat
excellent for surfing ocean waves
$300.00
Frankly, I was underwhelmed by his effort, but somehow, not terribly surprised. On top of that, the name sounds dangerously close to "prison love" but that's not really a selling point, so forget I said that.
I did my own research, being a citizen of the Information Age, and discovered that according to the World Wide Web, the specs are as follows:
length width vol. weight cockpit capacity material 1st yr last yr: 8 ft 1 25.50 in 52.00 gal 33.00 lbs 34.00 by 18.00 90 to 200 lbs HTP n/a n/a
The most important part is this though:

Main use: playboat
Dude, how could you not buy your own watercraft whose main use is "playboat"? I don't have any idea what that means, but just reading it feels kinda bitchin! In point of fact, here's what the manufacturer would have you believe:
This Liquid-Utility-Vehicle is the ultimate in whitewater performance, maximum comfort and rad lines. This lightweight play hound has great stability on the flats and awesome control in the vertical world. Custom tailored features like the chine groove, planning hull width and bow & stern keels for play hogs like you. Engage the low volume ends for hesitation-free wheels and spark up the flat bottom for spin-mania. Bow and stern keel lines provide great tracking when moving from one play spot to the next. Superior comfort and an ergonomic fit for medium to large sized paddlers with large. It comes with super groovy, custom foam outfitting. Of course the LUV is made with HTP, which spins faster, rock wheels without grindage and reacts at your command. Stiff, durable, it rules.
Awesome control in the vertical world? Spin-mania? Rock wheels without grindage?? How can you pass this up???
I don't actually know if this one comes with the hesitation-free wheels because I don't see any wheels. Come to think of it, I've never seen a kayak with wheels, but if you get the right wheels for it, they will apparently be hesitation-free and how hard would that rock, dude?
I'm a little frightened to know what the "large sized paddlers with large" are going to do with this boat, so I'm not gonna ask. What happens in the Prijon stays in the Prijon, as far as I'm concerned.
Any which way, shoot the rapids, sit in it in the middle of your living room floor, or just drive around with it on the roof of your Volkswagen to make people think you're cool but get on over here and buy this dumb thing for three hundred bucks. It's totally awesome!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Want to invite a monkey for a sail boat ride

I own a sailboat. I like monkeys. I don't have the time or schedule flexibility to care for a monkey of my own, and don't know anyone who does.

A friend who sails with me happened to mention that he used to sail on a boat in California with someone who had a monkey, and that the monkey apparently loved sailing on the boat. Given that I have a boat and like monkeys, I thought it might be fun to offer a boat ride to a friendly monkey owner & monkey. I get to spend some time with a monkey, monkey & monkey owner get to go for a sail.

I don't know if anyone in the NYC metro area owns a monkey, nor if anyone who does reads Craig's List, but leads appreciated.

This is serious, but seriously for fun. Genetic monkeys only, people in monkey suits need not apply. Boat is a substantial sailboat capable of crossing oceans, handled by a very experienced owner.

Please put "Monkey Sailboat" in subject so I don't accidentally delete your email.

Bill Garden designed a Bayliner.

It doesnt look much better than that one.

I may just start putting Monkey Sailboat in email subject lines.

I saw it first!

No wait, I may start using "Rock Wheels Without Grindage"

FB- Doug

Wipe them down with MEK and they'll look great. 75 quid is a non starter though - are they that much new?

Eastward Ho 24 for $7k

This is not a project boat.

She needs a bottom cleaning. The woodwork on the cabin top could use a fresh coat of varnish. The bimini needs to be restiched. One of the scuppers in the cockpit ought to be replaced at some point down the line.

Overall the boat is in solid shape and everything is in working order. However, there is some dry rot on the boomkin. Out of an abundance of caution, I would suggest replacing it before undertaking any serious sailing.

I have a 2010 marine survey that is available for review. I would be happy to show the boat to serious buyers by appointment.

I bought this boat 3 years ago and it has never left the marina

Translation:

This is sort of a project boat.

The bottom has not been touched in three years, nor has the wood. We left the Bimini up and the sun baked it beyond any hope of restitching.

The cockpit scuppers should be replaced immediately, along with the boomkin.

The survey three years ago went fine. What could possibly go wrong with a boat that sits for years?

I bought a boat once that "demonstrated a high degree of deferred maintenance".

I don't know at what point that transitions into "project" but untouched for three years? It sounds like that boat qualifies for the same description.

I bought a boat once that "demonstrated a high degree of deferred maintenance".

I don't know at what point that transitions into "project" but untouched for three years? It sounds like that boat qualifies for the same description.

Yeah but he had a survey three years ago that said it didn't need any work done.

FB- Doug

Just wanted to say that the little Pelican boat is much cuter under sail.

00p0p_2Nw1jGMUCuG_600x450.jpg

For something that's complete and comes with a trailer, the price ain't that bad, really. I've lost count of the number of $6~10k custom kayaks I've seen listed over the years.

I'm not sure where to start with this one. You know you're in for trouble when the lead story is the that the seats where [sic] redone and they look like, well, this. Full credit for the accurate assessment of the sun shade. The last sentence is terrific, as if this ad were otherwise too good to be true. Price is about right, though, if for the Lil' Dude, if nothing else.

16' boat w/trailer & 95hp evinrude - $500 (lake county)

00f0f_fQD31LbavIF_600x450.jpg

Boat is 16' fiberglass, seats where redone couple years back. Sun shade is no good. Motor is evinrude, starfire selectric shift, has new timing belt, plugs, cap rotor. & wires. Comes with trailer
Boat is 1963 traveler
Trailer is 1971 lil dude

Ok the bad someone stole the starter, battery and fuel tank.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/3995657445.html

Now that old glass boats are getting crushed, how do ANY of those Buccaneers still survive?