blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

38 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Lot of sailboat details for the money...note the designer's square motif to reduce the visual size of the freeboard aft...a 24ft with a pilothouse design....arrr, matey;)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/6120599550.html

The best bit of that boat is the twin rudders. Fast boats have two rudders, so this boat must be fast, right? :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Ad is gone already. The seller must be on this site.

That, or noticed a spike in viewings so found the source.

15 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

I thought concrete didn't float?  I guess I have led a sheltered life, eh?

You must have been past Powell River at some point.  Concrete floats.

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Ad's pulled already.

Was a Hunter 335 sunk at the dock.  You come get it, it's yours.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:28 AM, bmiller said:

What the hell is this?

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/boa/6059890812.html

00L0L_duBTEdU2Rez_1200x900.jpg

On 5/10/2017 at 11:32 AM, Norse Horse said:

The secret to the Luger is an outrageous cabin colour to mask the lines...https://bemidji.craigslist.org/boa/6123213045.html

00404_kvFpA4gVSeK_1200x900.jpg

Are theses the Weekender and Daysailer versions of the same design?

20 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Are theses the Weekender and Daysailer versions of the same design?

You mean the choice between light recon or main battle...

main-qimg-b3c4275a4c1cae4e52a16077e07d90b9-c.jpg

I knew it was something like that.

Thread drift: Norse, on the old combat tanks, there's three episode series on Netflix called "Our World War." It's about the Great War (WWI) and the third episode is about the experiences of a British tank crew. It is horrifying and powerful. The series is excellent.

10 hours ago, Bull City said:

I knew it was something like that.

Thread drift: Norse, on the old combat tanks, there's three episode series on Netflix called "Our World War." It's about the Great War (WWI) and the third episode is about the experiences of a British tank crew. It is horrifying and powerful. The series is excellent.

Thanks for that. I love tank and submarine movies.

Try this one about a lost Soviet tanker crew during the invasion of Afghanistan. The crew has an Afghan interpreter and a hard nosed commander. They have a desperate struggle to find the main road again.

Nice piece of yard art. Great fun for small boys.

Anything Granite Falls never disappoints.

This was on CL here asking $12,900 for about the past 18 months.

Now it's with a broker and it's gone UP $4K. Interesting marketing technique. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=4464

Quite a nice boat actually - old 1/2 Tonner, a variant of the Scampi. I suspect the 36 Y.O. raw cooled Volvo scares people off.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Now it's with a broker and it's gone UP $4K. Interesting marketing technique. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quite a nice boat actually - old 1/2 Tonner, a variant of the Scampi. I suspect the 36 Y.O. raw cooled Volvo scares people off.

That's a proven technique. I've seen it work a couple of times. My theory is that if you ask a low enough price, it drives off some buyers who want a deal, not junk. Bring the price back up from "junk" to "deal" and they reappear.

On May 14, 2017 at 4:31 PM, SloopJonB said:

It's kind of attractive...beamy fucker, though.

Mostly flare - it's basically a Scampi with the chine faired out smoothly.

Helps get that IOR rail meat farther outboard.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Grandpa wanted a sailboat to look at so he had a crane drop one in the pool.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/6100073306.html

Free to anyone who can remove it without damaging property. So anyone who has a big crane. And a trailer.

00c0c_6axmlvbDps1_1200x900.jpg

haha their real estate agent surely told them to get that POS out of the pool or they'll never sell the place!

This looks like a nice daysailer.  Flush deck, big cockpit, and well clear of salt.

For the cost of crane hire, it'd be a bargain.

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Grandpa wanted a sailboat to look at so he had a crane drop one in the pool.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/6100073306.html

Free to anyone who can remove it without damaging property. So anyone who has a big crane. And a trailer.

00c0c_6axmlvbDps1_1200x900.jpg

28 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

This looks like a nice daysailer.  Flush deck, big cockpit, and well clear of salt.

For the cost of crane hire, it'd be a bargain.

I dunno. He either uses salt or chlorine in the pool.

1 minute ago, Autonomous said:

I dunno. He either uses salt or chlorine in the pool.

I hadn't thought of the chlorine.  But it won't be blown or splashed all over everything like the sea does

That's a Crown 18 built in North Van. Forerunner of the Sceptre's.

Good little boats worth saving.

plus side:   it's free

down side: it's in Phoenix

it's in a backyard pool

it's a boat with mast and nothing else.

Tricky math that.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's a Crown 18 built in North Van. Forerunner of the Sceptre's.

Good little boats worth saving.

It 's a Cal 20.

13 minutes ago, Blitz said:

It 's a Cal 20.

It's a Crown 18. See the logo on the side?

Based on googling and looking at the difference in the size of the windows, I'd agree with the Slooptster that it's a crown 18, much as I'm sure there are a lot more Cal 20's especially in the US. I was going to include a picture but you can google. I include this picture which is evidently not a cal 20 just because it's so good:

3203.jpg

Sorry Blitz - the company that built that Crown 18 (Calgan Marine) was a licensed builder of the Cal 2-29 and they had a couple or 3 pretty close knockoffs of Cal designs - that 18 (Cal 20), a 23 that was basically a Cal 25 and a 28 that was pretty much a smaller Cal 2-29. There may have been others. They built a 2-29 for my uncle back then.

Another quality local builder (Davidsons) built another 18 like that  - also a close knockoff of the Cal 20 but with a swing keel option.

So many things wrong here....

Sail Boat 50 feet 4 Sale trade - $125000 (emeryville)

Sale 50 AlexaLine motor sailboat, single owner Perfect live aboard.‎ 2 bedroom Apartment on the port of your choice with everything you need. ‎ 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with tab, living room with L couch dinette, with big refrigerator 2 compartments, stove 3 burners' propane, microwave 23", washer and dryer and lots of storage. Make: AlexaLine Year: 2002, Engine: Single Fuel: Diesel Power Perkins 65 HP ‎Hull: Fiberglass, ‎LOA 5,7 Draft Beam 13 ‎Displacement 55000

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6118854470.html

That's definitely a 2002 model so $125,000 seems like a great deal.

00F0F_5kHHtTYZogi_1200x900.jpg

01010_gp2Szecy11E_1200x900.jpg

00000_553qRusbuGl_1200x900.jpg

00404_joBZ6PE1FUZ_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_16EEsBixrIW_1200x900.jpg

I think this "Alexaline" brand is what the seller calls his "restorations".  Another one here, act fast!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6118861911.html

This is a new boat live aboard vessel or traveling 
Alex, single owner 2002 Alexaline sailboat has a master stateroom forward and heads full bath, and two settee berths, bringing accommodations up to seven.
There is a large saloon, a dinette, and full galley as would be expected on a craft of this size. Engine, fuel, battery easy access, below the saloon floor lots of storages.
Alexaline is in fact a Columbia 50 hull made by StarCraft with a costume build deck is all you need to live aboard or to sail around the world.
The Main mast And controls led to the cockpit make single handed sailing possible.
LOA: 50' Draft: 6' 6" Beam 12' 6" 65hp The Mast is horizontal do to land transport I have all rigs and sails; Fuel 100gal

50 feet Star Craft Alexaline sailboat B/O - $75000 (emeryville)

Love the fridge...

00I0I_bx8vHOoPSXg_600x450.jpg

00K0K_aoLBJXnvBmC_600x450.jpg

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sorry Blitz - the company that built that Crown 18 (Calgan Marine) was a licensed builder of the Cal 2-29 and they had a couple or 3 pretty close knockoffs of Cal designs - that 18 (Cal 20), a 23 that was basically a Cal 25 and a 28 that was pretty much a smaller Cal 2-29. There may have been others. They built a 2-29 for my uncle back then.

Another quality local builder (Davidsons) built another 18 like that  - also a close knockoff of the Cal 20 but with a swing keel option.

I can see some differences now that I look closer.

1 hour ago, alemon74 said:

I think this "Alexaline" brand is what the seller calls his "restorations".  Another one here, act fast!

Alex, single owner 2002 Alexaline sailboat has a master stateroom forward and heads full bath, and two settee berths, bringing accommodations up to seven.
There is a large saloon, a dinette, and full galley as would be expected on a craft of this size. Engine, fuel, battery easy access, below the saloon floor lots of storages.
Alexaline is in fact a Columbia 50 hull made by StarCraft with a costume build deck is all you need to live aboard or to sail around the world.
The Main mast And controls led to the cockpit make single handed sailing possible.
LOA: 50' Draft: 6' 6" Beam 12' 6" 65hp The Mast is horizontal do to land transport I have all rigs and sails; Fuel 100gal

Love the fridge...

"Costume built deck"

Freudian or honesty?

That first monstrosity has been mocked before - like 2 or 3 years ago. Some people really live in an alternate reality.

1 hour ago, alemon74 said:

Love the fridge...

"Costume built deck"

Freudian or honesty?

That first monstrosity has been mocked before - like 2 or 3 years ago. Some people really live in an alternate reality.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

"Costume built deck"

Freudian or honesty?

Well he does mention that the boats equipped with a large saloon, so maybe Wednesday nights Cowboy night?

32 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

I like the carbon detailing...

00808_fX3dv6nOxR5_1200x900.jpg

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I like the carbon detailing...

00808_fX3dv6nOxR5_1200x900.jpg

motor doesn't run, no stove, all the wiring behind headliner needs replacing...plus replace bulkhead and repair ceiling and cabin side. Is the mast ok (no heat damage?). $10K repair is a joke, $30-40 is more realistic. 

If this is a $20k+ boat, and can be repaired for $10k (or $3k with own labor) then why doesn't the seller do it?

Asking isn't getting

"if you don t know what these boats are worth, go to VANCOUVER KIJIJI,look under boats, the sister ship is currently for sale with a new interior, asking $129,000. If you GOOGLE this design by BRUCE ROBERTS, you ll see that it is the most popular design he had, with over 2000 built. CASH works, but will consider most trades"

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/victoria-bc/bruce-roberts-motor-sailer/1265100465?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

9 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

i think i've seen this one here before

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/6127038530.html

I think we've seen it before. It's kinda cool but looks like it has about half as much sail as it should with that Sailfish rig.

Today's contribution from SW FL:

Almost free houseboat sunken catamahousebarge.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/6136143199.html

Apparently, the person selling it paid the slip fee. Now he's looking for someone to repeat that mistake.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think we've seen it before. It's kinda cool but looks like it has about half as much sail as it should with that Sailfish rig.

Today's contribution from SW FL:

Almost free houseboat sunken catamahousebarge.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/6136143199.html

Apparently, the person selling it paid the slip fee. Now he's looking for someone to repeat that mistake.

The dumb fuck should just pay to have it hauled away in pieces. He'll be paying months of slip fees before he finds someone stupid enough to tackle that.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:37 PM, alemon74 said:

Sale 50 AlexaLine motor sailboat, single owner Perfect live aboard.‎ 2 bedroom Apartment on the port of your choice with everything you need. ‎ 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with tab, living room with L couch dinette, with big refrigerator 2 compartments, stove 3 burners' propane, microwave 23", washer and dryer and lots of storage. Make: AlexaLine Year: 2002, Engine: Single Fuel: Diesel Power Perkins 65 HP ‎Hull: Fiberglass, ‎LOA 5,7 Draft Beam 13 ‎Displacement 55000

The great thing about converting to two backstays is that you only need half as many attachment points. Brilliant really.

whynot.jpg

2 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Here's a great "retro" deal complete with a "mass" (but no rutter) and the cool retro "car" could probably be part of the deal.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/6136274045.html

"comes with mass and rudder".

The mass sets your spiritual direction, and the rudder sets your temporal direction.

What more could anyone need? ;)

3 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Here's a great "retro" deal complete with a "mass" (but no rutter) and the cool retro "car" could probably be part of the deal.

Looks like it's missing a rudder. The 'mass' looks short, and may be the boom. No mention of sail. It might be worth the $275 if it was complete, but as is it's going to take a sizeable investment in $ and a lot of tinkering to make operational...none of which will yield a return.

On 2017-05-17 at 10:28 PM, RKoch said:

The dumb fuck should just pay to have it hauled away in pieces. He'll be paying months of slip fees before he finds someone stupid enough to tackle that.

Guessing there's probably some environmental liability, there was a glut of people selling hulks for "cheap" in FL only to get a fun surprise at their "deal".

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

Looks like it's missing a rudder. The 'mass' looks short, and may be the boom. No mention of sail. It might be worth the $275 if it was complete, but as is it's going to take a sizeable investment in $ and a lot of tinkering to make operational...none of which will yield a return.

Q: If you were lucky enough to make it operational, for little or no money, what would you have? 

A: A piece of crap that no one wants, and probably doesn't sail worth a crap.

Lesson: Things end up on CL for next to nothing for a good reason.

Someone who lives on the beach near me has a boat that looks almost exactly like that, but a bit larger.  It is slowly disappearing into the blackberry vines at the back of his pasture.    I remember we had a short conversation about it when we were sailing Hobie 16's, but can't remember the content.  

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Q: If you were lucky enough to make it operational, for little or no money, what would you have? 

A: A piece of crap that no one wants, and probably doesn't sail worth a crap.

Lesson: Things end up on CL for next to nothing for a good reason.

If it was complete, or nearly so, it would be great fun for kids on a lake or beach. Doesn't really matter if us old farts think it's 'cool' or not.  It is possible for kids to enjoy themselves on the water without $6000 Optis.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

If it was complete, or nearly so, it would be great fun for kids on a lake or beach. Doesn't really matter if us old farts think it's 'cool' or not.  It is possible for kids to enjoy themselves on the water without $6000 Optis.

That's a big if. I think we're talking reality here. If it was complete, it would be great if it was free.

If I found an Oyster 82 bobbing around with a big FREE sign on it I would probably take it.

This is a pile of fiberglass dust in a momentary boat form with most of the important bits missing.

That's like finding a Swain 36 with a FREE sign on it.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

The boat must be a thoroughbred, it lives in a stall in the harbor. There certainly seems to be some subtle differences between the two pictures.

Two pictures? Zonk's crazy link led me to this pic:

zonkfoundhulk.jpg

And he probably should win something for finding it. It might even be a candidate for Admiration by the Society. But what's the other one?

16 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

That looks like it was a fun boat when it was complete. Now it looks like the centerboards, "mass" (which RKoch is right, is a boom), and surviving rutter have scrap aluminum value.

7 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That looks like it was a fun boat when it was complete. Now it looks like the centerboards, "mass" (which RKoch is right, is a boom), and surviving rutter have scrap aluminum value.

Did anyone notice that the front has fallen off the car? Most strange.

Since it comes with mass it probably comes with a special dispensation,and if it leaks you could sell the holey water.

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Two pictures? Zonk's crazy link led me to this pic:

zonkfoundhulk.jpg

And he probably should win something for finding it. It might even be a candidate for Admiration by the Society. But what's the other one?

A closer look reveals the beauty in the beast. Notice how access is maintained by the heavy old flap all the way around forward. No need for an anchor roller on the ridgeline.:P

17 hours ago, RKoch said:

Good points. $6,000 for an Optimist Pram?

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Good points. $6,000 for an Optimist Pram?

Could be wrong, but I think that's about the ballpark for a new one, fully equipped. Ridiculous, eh?

49 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Could be wrong, but I think that's about the ballpark for a new one, fully equipped. Ridiculous, eh?

I heard even higher numbers. Low five figures! It makes me wonder what Clark Mills would think.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:51 AM, Bob Perry said:

Wait a minute. You may have hit a gold mine. I think that turtle deck boat may be one of the Boeing built boats that were built in the late 50's. I have been searching all over for a photo or even a reference to one but with no luck. Are there any other photos of that boat? I can remember a time when one of those boats was raced here. Very odd boats.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/34-foot-wooden-sloop_29151902

I see the history lesson sold.   Does anybody know the details?

The boat might or might not be OK but that ad needs some mocking.

The Good Ship Clutterfuck!

Geez. Tangles of wire, piles of stuff, what appears to be some piece of electronics from the 1970's. There were several pictures that seemed to me more likely to unsell the boat than to sell it.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:37 PM, alemon74 said:

00F0F_5kHHtTYZogi_1200x900.jpg

01010_gp2Szecy11E_1200x900.jpg

00000_553qRusbuGl_1200x900.jpg

00404_joBZ6PE1FUZ_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_16EEsBixrIW_1200x900.jpg

Yes it is an "02 model but I do like the refit  to the floral galley rug of the '04 model.