blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Looks like it might be a Swain design.

It may be sturdy but, judging by the shank, it's also flexible

On 2017-05-24 at 8:09 PM, Machsquad said:

To me this seems to be flexing in the going to break in half kind of way. or are the hauls pitched outwards it just looks off

00505_c1ydQssG5hg_1200x900.jpg

This outward canting of the hulls is precisely what the French Nacra 17 team of Billy Bisson and Marie Riou was accused of in the run up to the Rio Olympics.  After it was discovered at a pre Olympic regatta and once they were forced to correct it, they stopped winning so much. Georgian Bay? More like Cheater Bay. 

Crooked Great Lakes....

I'd hate to see what you'd call "an old wreck".

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Dunno if Cascade cored their hulls or decks. If there were no or minimal delamination issues it may be a better place to start than some old wreck.

Possibly better than "some old wreck" but still not a good starting place IMHO. It will cost FAR more to turn this thing into a sailboat that it would cost to buy a working sailboat. And it'd take years off your life, too. OTOH there are worse hobbies... but I think that extending extruded toerail to form a bowsprit is a bad idea. SO there is a fair amount of undoing to do.

FB- Doug

I guess I was assuming it was just another unfinished Cascade hull & deck project. Hadn't even considered it a squat, er... liveaboard.

And yes, the bow sprit, davit and other deck penetrations are worrisome. 

Nice captain's chair in cockpit, worth $4.00?

On 5/30/2017 at 6:08 PM, mcmurdo said:

Sadly, that's about right for a P30 with a dead inboard, powered by an outboard that someone slapped on the stern.

The owner admits to the poor cosmetic condition.

I'm guessing a female liveaboard got hold of it and fixed all the wrong things first. Anybody should be able to do a head gasket, but painting things pink was apparently a more pressing issue.

01111_c0URpZdXUV9_1200x900.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm guessing a female liveaboard got hold of it and fixed all the wrong things first. Anybody should be able to do a head gasket, but painting things pink was apparently a more pressing issue.

Any bets on if it was just household paint?

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Anybody should be able to do a head gasket, but painting things pink was apparently a more pressing issue.  

Well duh!  "Camera system" is also listed as one of the high priority projects. For the budding YouTube channel, no doubt.

Apparently a forestay was considered superfluous?  

...is it actually being towed in that photo?  

It's steel, and from PNW. Did that Swain guy design it?

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Sounds like Jersey Boi with the Sea Witch. Motor didn't run, hull questionable, rig shakey, but he thought the biggest priority was to paint the interior. Wonder what happened to that boat.

21 minutes ago, Bull City said:

It's steel, and from PNW. Did that Swain guy design it?

Much too yotti to be a BS boat.

20 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Sounds like Jersey Boi with the Sea Witch. Motor didn't run, hull questionable, rig shakey, but he thought the biggest priority was to paint the interior. Wonder what happened to that boat.

Someone else now owns the Sea Witch - this owner has fixed it up somewhat, but is trying to sell it now.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/6125526704.html

1 hour ago, slap said:

Someone else now owns the Sea Witch - this owner has fixed it up somewhat, but is trying to sell it now.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/6125526704.html

I'm going to go looking for the original thread. That ad looks suspiciously familiar.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/161416-help-me-save-this-classic-east-coast-fl-sailors/

Edited by Ishmael
weasels ripped my flesh

Fresh off the beach!

1962 Pearson Triton

It might not be a bad deal but several things are mockworthy about the ad. First and foremost, it's nice that he admits this one blew up onto a beach but making this the main listing picture really wasn't necessary.

pearson-on-beach.jpg

Also, a cockpit selfie might help to sell the boat if you're a hot chick, but he's not.

The only interior pic is an odd one of the bilge and it's not all that clean.

If nothing else, Tom Scott might take some notes on pulpit design...

22 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

If nothing else, Tom Scott might take some notes on pulpit design...

Oh my. :blink:

Tritons are cute boats. Can't imagine anyone paying money for this one, the way it's butchered up. I assume the truck inner tube is his dinghy. 

"There was absolutely no damage from the storm."

It's a fiberglass boat - it should have shattered on impact.

Who would paint a boat that color all over and then sail in Florida and the Caribbean - the deck must get miserably hot.

This one made me smile 

"Slice of heaven - $1 : Are you ready for the time of your life? Champagne, scantily clad women and the ocean breeze blowing through your thick full head of hair? If you are I have the sail boat of your dreams. Just imagine hitting the open sea in this baby just you and the water as you take in the breath taking backgrounds of Hawaii, Paraguay and the French Riviara. Your options are limitless, shit you can sail to the moon in it, if you take enough drugs. I first hand know nothing about sailing but if you have the balls to put this beautiful piece of American craftsmanship in water then I'll just say, make sure all your affairs in order and your wife has a great life insurance policy cause your probably going to die. With that said the boat comes with sail and rudder let God have Mercey on your soul if you put this in the water. You would have a better chance of survival in WW2 on the beaches of Normandy with a blind fold on. That's a joke the boat needs a lot of work. The trailer is actually in the best shape if you have another use for a trailer or maybe you actually do like the boat! Well that comes with it. Open to trades as long as it's not a sailboat call or text "

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/6162553101.html

00707_etycW2SwhST_1200x900.jpg

I think I must have over-paid....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/saint-john/sailboat-great-condition/1271025959?utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_alerts

sailboat ,great condition

Date Listed 06-Jun-17
Price
$1,000.00
Address Saint John, NB E2J1C1

View map

For Sale By Owner
Make Fresh
Model hunter
Year 1977

27 ft hunter sailboat inboard 12 hp westerberk diesel engine hull in excellent condition cosmetic work only required worth plenty more just need it out of my yard 608 -6094 no pictures but it looks great

1 hour ago, hdra said:

30' Sailboat - $9400

The boat actually looks OK from the pics, but you'd think for $9400 the owner would at least know what kind of boat he's selling...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6165756907.html

It says Islander 30 in the ad. From the pics and price, I'd consider buying it. Must have been looking for the other Craigslist thread.

Oh, you're right - didn't see the Islander 30 label over there on the sidebar.  My bad.  Just read the "sailboat for sale. sails are in great condition. 3 cylinder diesel engine, runs great, low hours. birthed in alameda. interior is in great condition. comes with tv, depth gauge, stereo, cb, life jackets barbeque, extra sails, sleeps 6 ready to sail."

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Perhaps it's just pining for the fjords

...and Chevy's? Really, it can double as a sauna. Quite useful in cold climates.

On 2017-06-07 at 0:17 PM, Ishmael said:

I think the interior looks a little...overdone.

00909_eUqZOnAg8ZF_1200x900.jpg

These sorts of interiors generally look better in person.  The eye seems to filter out the textural clutter that a photo captures.  Which is why stagers will always remove most everything from a room (or boat) before shooting...

Building the prototype for the Kiwi 35, OH had me paint the entire interior white. I thought it looked horrid. OH said that when sail bags and cushions were loaded in it would look ok. He was right.

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Building the prototype for the Kiwi 35, OH had me paint the entire interior white. I thought it looked horrid. OH said that when sail bags and cushions were loaded in it would look ok. He was right.

If he wanted a white interior, chose a maintenance free fiberglass liner.   Seems like powder coating a gold necklace to me.    

2 hours ago, groundhog said:

These sorts of interiors generally look better in person.  The eye seems to filter out the textural clutter that a photo captures.  Which is why stagers will always remove most everything from a room (or boat) before shooting...

When I listed my house, some years ago, we found just the opposite.  The photos looked bleak and harsh.  We had to add color and more stuff with texture.  If you were actually in the room, the windows and the exterior views drew the eye and it looked OK.  I'm a plain fiberglass liner kind of guy though.

5 hours ago, Lark said:

If he wanted a white interior, chose a maintenance free fiberglass liner.   Seems like powder coating a gold necklace to me.    

It was a 2700lb 34' one-off built with nomex core. Weight of a FG liner was prohibitive. 

5 hours ago, toddster said:
7 hours ago, groundhog said:

When I listed my house, some years ago, we found just the opposite.  The photos looked bleak and harsh.  We had to add color and more stuff with texture.  If you were actually in the room, the windows and the exterior views drew the eye and it looked OK.  I'm a plain fiberglass liner kind of guy though.

Rather unusual, Toddster.  You must not have a lot of clutter in your house.  Though professional house photographers often dress a shot with props for an orchestrated splash of colour or texture (you can sometimes see the same props migrate around a house in the different photos).  Marketing photos of sailboats, too, with plates & flowers & young people draped around.

14 hours ago, Lark said:

They're only maintenance free until you need to get to the wires or hoses that someone put behind them.

1 hour ago, Machsquad said:

nothing like truth in advertising....

That boat would probably suit your needs, some standing headroom, large cockpit, a safe sail plan for new sailors, able to be beached...but a project.

http://www.ayrs.org/repository/AYRS078.edn2.pp216-320_A5.pdf

6 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

They're only maintenance free until you need to get to the wires or hoses that someone put behind them.

True enough

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

That boat would probably suit your needs, some standing headroom, large cockpit, a safe sail plan for new sailors, able to be beached...but a project.

It's gonna be tricky getting 15 feet of beam from here to Alberta. Hell, it would be tricky even if it was stood on edge.

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

and the fact my wife would stab me and then let me bleed out on some back road if this was what I brought home

8 hours ago, groundhog said:

I like the distinction, 'no salt water leaks'...

I feel the rain water leaks may explain the current water line

Excellent Live aboard because it won't sail.?!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/6174529344.html

Yanmar 4JHE 40hp diesel in excellent condition with only 1700 hrs. Comnav autopilot with remote, hydraulic steering, 1500 W inverter, radar, stainless gimbal stove, BBQ, refrigerator, head, shower. All rigging leads to cockpit, easy to single-hand. 2 x Anderson 46st and 2x Anderson 28st stainless winches. Two furling jibs. Sleeps 6, V berth, double in large living room and 2 singles. High ceilings, 5'11'' can stand up without touching. Currently derigged, brand new reel of rigging. Brand new 200' anchor chain. Two foresails in great condition, new sail covers, mainsail in ok condition. Cruising spinnaker like new. Makes an excellent live-aboard. Recent zincs. Asking $15,000 USD

15,000 for a 39 ft  steel cutter? 

Excellent live aboard = neglected, filthy, 3 knot shit box, full of vermin. Run away!

It was a decent looking boat a few years ago. It's in Montague Harbour on Galiano Island. It's been anchored out, on a mooring ball, on a marina pontoon, and anchored out again, over the course of probably 10-12 years. It's still floating, and parts of it don't look awful.

On 05/21/2017 at 1:17 PM, Vaeredil said:

Not sure if this is worthy of mockery, but here's a "home-build, self designed" catamaran near me in Ontario. https://toronto.craigslist.ca/yrk/boa/6131842490.html

00F0F_8P2YRYJw2kx_1200x900.jpg

Haa haa think I posted that rotten mess earlier in the year.

"Trailer NOT designed for road use"

01717_pDCNMLh7z7_600x450.jpg

No shit.

10 hours ago, Bull City said:

Excellent live aboard = neglected, filthy, 3 knot shit box, full of vermin. Run away!

Yeah, that's true... but raccoons make excellent pets!

FB- Doug

Must get wet feet when some doofus flies by making a big wake...

5 hours ago, kinardly said:

What's it rate?

Unlimited. (It's out on a river, who knows what hinky shit goes on there.)

I saw something even more hillbilly than that in an anchorage on the Island - a pickup camper mounted on a piece of floating dock anchored out and being lived in.

Stupidly, I didn't have a camera with me.:angry:

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I saw something even more hillbilly than that in an anchorage on the Island - a pickup camper mounted on a piece of floating dock anchored out and being lived in.

Stupidly, I didn't have a camera with me.:angry:

More hillbilly? Definitely. I'm still trying to deal with the fact that this seller is trying to ask someone to pay a pile of real, green US Treasury notes for this... item.

19 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

He did that all wrong. That hull will make a great swimming pool when it fills up with rain water. He should have turned the boat upside down and used the hull for a roof.

FB- Doug

boat-shed-and-fishing-paraphernalia-on-t

I think, that's backwards. The shed was actually quite nice until someone plunked it on that Bucc

I'm thinking that one actually might belong in the Society.

I mean, if you're going to put a shed on a small sailboat and make a "tiny house" project out of it, can you name a better subject boat than a Buc?

That person has found the best and highest use for a Buc. It's admirable. The thing is, it's not a boat any more. It's a tiny house and we don't have a Society for those.

I admire that it's still on a trailer. That seems so optimistic. 

Just one more picture for posterity.  It looks like he may have other gems in the back ground, might be worth a trip for a look see.

00I0I_cHC08ufbEfQ_600x450.jpg

26 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

Just one more picture for posterity.  It looks like he may have other gems in the back ground, might be worth a trip for a look see.

00I0I_cHC08ufbEfQ_600x450.jpg

Looks like he's converted an Airstream to a SUP. That would be interesting for about a second.

They never finished that graffiti on the keel

"For the love of God kill me".

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't (wasn't) that a C&C designed Paceship 23?

24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They never finished that graffiti on the keel

"For the love of God kill me".

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't (wasn't) that a C&C designed Paceship 23?

Looks like one to me. If the right is still around,  the, ugly appendage can be removed quickly

33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What appears to be an Irwin 28 being sold as a Catalina.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/28-Ft-Catalina---Come-view-Sat-24-Sun-25_29598885

Has "Catalina" become a generic term for sailboat? Sort of like Kleenex?

Correct. It's an Irwin 28 MkIV. Def not a Catalina. Guy has dumped a bundle into it in frappery, but as an OB model it's way over priced. It's about a $4-5000 boat.