blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Some people aren't good at percentages - 90% complete? :rolleyes:

Why would someone strip plank a chined boat? It looks conic - what is plywood for?

Why would someone build a 1956 design? I can see building classic old design boats but a design that was contemporary in '56? That's just outdated, not antique charm.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nanaimo/new-build-never-launched/1284578038?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

13 hours ago, bmiller said:

I get down to Salida pretty often, hopefully it's still there next time down. I want to check it out. 

The county dump is just up the road and he could get rid of it for $10. Maybe he doesn't have the heart for that and actually wants it to get used.

Edit, that looks like something somebody would use in R2AK. I just sent him a response and suggested going to the website and mentioning it there.

I just drove by and looked, was bored and its 1 mile from my house.  R2AK maybe with a team of 10 rowing, its huge and hilarious.  Those 2 dome things are probable 6 or 7 feet tall.  I have doubt it would float upright at all...

41 minutes ago, ecsimonson said:

I just drove by and looked, was bored and its 1 mile from my house.  R2AK maybe with a team of 10 rowing, its huge and hilarious.  Those 2 dome things are probable 6 or 7 feet tall.  I have doubt it would float upright at all...

It's next to my sister's ex boyfrind so I'll see if i can get more on owner lol.  Has to be 40 ft. long.  That is a big trailer and it sticks off the back a good 10ft.  Remember this is a triple axle trailer. 

rsz_12017-07-27_200540.jpg

rsz_1rsz_2017-07-27_201833.jpg

14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

How rotted is it? Does it have sails? I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw pics of them in Bolger books, lo these long years ago.

FB- Doug

It's got some bad spots. It has tanbark sails that are old and have been sitting on a rack under the boat for a few years now. I'd imagine those are inhabited.

The whole thing is on a steel stand that wandered in one day with a Catalina 28 and never left, but that's another story.

The Folding Schooner belongs to our Community Sailing Center, which will launch any old, beat up boat. It was deemed a potential yard ornament. I doubt that'll ever happen. I can email you pics. If you want it I'd like to see it gone just because it's sad to watch it finish dying.

This was taken when we put it on the stand three years ago:

folding-schooner-suspended.jpg

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Why would someone strip plank a chined boat? It looks conic - what is plywood for?

Why would someone build a 1956 design? I can see building classic old design boats but a design that was contemporary in '56? That's just outdated, not antique charm.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nanaimo/new-build-never-launched/1284578038?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Just because a boat has straight sections and chines doesn't mean it's conically developed. It may or may not be. Plenty of reasons to strip plank...may have gotten the wood cheaper than ply, cedar is lighter than ply, all the grain runs the 'right' direction so possibly stronger. Also, although gluing and screwing a bunch of pieces together takes longer, for a solo builder it might be easier to handle smaller pieces than big sheets, and it's more convienient to stop for the evening. I agree the hull form is pretty crude, I don't see the value being worth the investment in time and materials. Boat doesn't look '90% done'...more like 2/3 done. Build quality so-so.

The Bolger schooner would make an interesting EC boat. Launch the hull halves separately, and bolt them together in the water. Shoal draft. Probably reaches pretty quick, row ok with 2 oarsmen. Plenty of room to sleep in if needed. I could probably source a couple used sails that could be cut down to fit. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Just because a boat has straight sections and chines doesn't mean it's conically developed. It may or may not be. Plenty of reasons to strip plank...may have gotten the wood cheaper than ply, cedar is lighter than ply, all the grain runs the 'right' direction so possibly stronger. Also, although gluing and screwing a bunch of pieces together takes longer, for a solo builder it might be easier to handle smaller pieces than big sheets, and it's more convienient to stop for the evening. I agree the hull form is pretty crude, I don't see the value being worth the investment in time and materials. Boat doesn't look '90% done'...more like 2/3 done. Build quality so-so.

One thing though, that hull doesn't look like any Alan Buchanan design to me... all of his boats I've ever seen are gorgeous!

7 hours ago, ecsimonson said:

It's next to my sister's ex boyfrind so I'll see if i can get more on owner lol.  Has to be 40 ft. long.  That is a big trailer and it sticks off the back a good 10ft.  Remember this is a triple axle trailer. 

Team of 10! Make sense.

Roz wrote back and said that she's never seen anything like it and can't imagine that it could be used for rowing. I would love to know the story behind this thing,

7 hours ago, RKoch said:

The Bolger schooner would make an interesting EC boat. Launch the hull halves separately, and bolt them together in the water. Shoal draft. Probably reaches pretty quick, row ok with 2 oarsmen. Plenty of room to sleep in if needed. I could probably source a couple used sails that could be cut down to fit. 

I think getting two 18' boats to line up in the waves could be a bit of a challenge. But the thought has crossed my mind...

It's long but narrow and not all that heavy. I think it could be launched intact on rollers. It could probably also carry three, which I hear is allowed now. ;)

9 hours ago, ecsimonson said:

OK now you've piqued my interest. I have to go by soon before he takes it to the dump. Maybe tomorrow.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Roz wrote back and said that she's never seen anything like it and can't imagine that it could be used for rowing. I would love to know the story behind this thing,

I can't imagine it would be used for anything else.

I agree it has to be a good story. I think it might also be a candidate for Admiration by the Society. I just can't figure out what to admire. I look at it and all I can think about is how bad it would be to find myself taking big, steep waves on the beam in that thing. Weird little winglets. What must be monster oars. Wouldn't be good.

Based on one short sail on a Folding Schooner, I  can say that the freeboard is minimal. Bolger himself wrote that a sailboard version (think giant Sunfish) would have been safer. Also, the original construction is on the flimsy side. Ive read about one that was reinforced with side decks.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

OK now you've piqued my interest. I have to go by soon before he takes it to the dump. Maybe tomorrow.

See if there are some amas and akas for that bad boy...;)

Insert Trimaran Bretheren Face Palm...

tenor.gif

52 minutes ago, Grey Dawn said:

And it's a fresh-water boat!

We've had that one before - a Crown 18, a well built knockoff of the Cal 20 built in North Van.

14 hours ago, ecsimonson said:

Did two Stars crash into each other head on?

I think that the Folding Schooner is supposed to sit on its trailer with the front half on the trailer. You get to the ramp and flip the stern 180 degrees and then lock the folding hinges and step the masts before backing the rest of the way into the water and launching. Mating up in the water would be a threat to fingers for sure!

On second thought, the folding order is the other way around. The aft end in on the trailer and wide enough to straddle the bow so you could set up a jackleg sort of A-frame to help lift the bow up and over as seen in this drawing. Bolger had some great things on his mind. I often wondered what he had in his pipe!?

Image result for folding schooner

We had to go to Salida to day so I stopped by to investigate. 

That thing is a behemoth, stepped it off at 35 feet long. The pods are really tall, well over my head sitting on the trailer, didn't measure beam. 

Very poorly built, the fiberglass matting is showing all over.

Here's some more photos: It has oarlocks and a sliding rowing seat.

IMG_4211

IMG_4213

Twin keels

IMG_4212

Mast step and pad eyes for rigging.

IMG_4214

Anchor locker

IMG_4215

IMG_4217

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

That thing is a behemoth, stepped it off at 35 feet long. The pods are really tall, well over my head sitting on the trailer, didn't measure beam. 

Here's some more photos: It has oarlocks and a sliding rowing seat.

IMG_4211

Twin keels

Mast step and pad eyes for rigging.

Anchor locker

Careful, it might follow you home...:ph34r:

Any whitewater rafting near you?

11 hours ago, bmiller said:

Here's some more photos: 

IMG_4217

Immense effort, but why?    What are the PVC pipe missile tubes for?    Do you suppose the grey paint was a midnight donation by the US Navy?

2 hours ago, Lark said:

What are the PVC pipe missile tubes for?  

The larger ones because spare oars have to be somewhere and the smaller ones because fishing rods have to be somewhere.

That's how I'd use 'em anyway.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, bmiller said:

IMG_4217

It looks like they took the Hot Rod approach to boat building.  They studied hundreds of sea going row boats before the made the trip to Home Depot.

I hate to think of the effort on the oars it would take to get that monster moving.

On 7/27/2017 at 4:51 PM, SloopJonB said:

I confess I knew nothing about Alan Buchanan, so when another one of his designs showed up for sale (  http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/33ft-wooden-sailboat-Alan-Buchanan-designed-_30374975 ), I googled him. Here's an article, for those of you in the same boat.  http://www.buchananownersassociation.org/CB_Buchanan_article_p1.html

If you have anything to add, chime in.

1 hour ago, mcmurdo said:

I confess I knew nothing about Alan Buchanan, so when another one of his designs showed up for sale (  http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/33ft-wooden-sailboat-Alan-Buchanan-designed-_30374975 ), I googled him. Here's an article, for those of you in the same boat.  http://www.buchananownersassociation.org/CB_Buchanan_article_p1.html

If you have anything to add, chime in.

It's probably a bit unkind to describe Buchanan as the journeyman designer of British yachting in the '50s and '60s, but I can't help myself. Lots of good boats, IMHO, but few with the sex appeal of Holman, the ruffty-tuffty charm of Laurent Giles, or the go-faster-ness of Illingworth. 

They always seem to lack any sort of magic in their sheer. 

IMG_2026-600x449.jpg

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 AM, soak_ed said:

It looks like they took the Hot Rod approach to boat building.  They studied hundreds of sea going row boats before the made the trip to Home Depot.

I hate to think of the effort on the oars it would take to get that monster moving.

yeah but once its moving you've got momentum on your side. ;)

4 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Yeah, the laws of physics and all that.  My fear is you would die of exhaustion before that point is reached!   :D

30 minutes ago, A horse, of course said:

It's probably a bit unkind to describe Buchanan as the journeyman designer of British yachting in the '50s and '60s, but I can't help myself. Lots of good boats, IMHO, but few with the sex appeal of Holman, the ruffty-tuffty charm of Laurent Giles, or the go-faster-ness of Illingworth. 

They always seem to lack any sort of magic in their sheer. 

IMG_2026-600x449.jpg

True - that pic is probably the best looking boat he ever designed BUT IIRC he did the first glass boat in Europe.

That alone ensures a measure of immortality.

54 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Momentum

Used by kayakers to right their capsized craft

Apparently it starts coming back up at around 182 degrees as we've head

Probably. Keep in mind that Arthur Piver disappeared at sea in a boat of his own design.

Teignmouth Electron was his design as well.

Interesting about the two Buchanan boats. The 1956 to-be-mocked boat seems like a whole generation older in design than the 1963 one McMurdo found above. It's like motorbikes and cars and such, where in the case of BMW, they were building essentially the pre-war version until 1966 and then the 67 bike was a massive leap forward. (A very impractical friend of mine owns a '66).

Cool to see in the ad http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/33ft-wooden-sailboat-Alan-Buchanan-designed-_30374975 that the 1963 boat was built at Benson's in Maple Bay. I spent summers hanging around those marinas and shops. Benson's was the biggest marina and store at the south end of Birdseye cove, though I don't think they were building boats by the later 70's when I was there.

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 AM, soak_ed said:

Pretty rough looking. The drag from the un-fair (to put it politely) hull and coarse surface, not to mention the inefficient shape, would make it difficult to keep moving... assuming you could get it moving in the first place. Of course, everything goes nicely down wind.

Then it could be just a slightly higher tech version of

small_flatboat_on_the_mississippi645x400

FB- Doug

5 hours ago, mcmurdo said:

The price leaves me speechless. Hardly matters that it's also in $US.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bod/d/1968-columbia-26-cruiser/6248479153.html

OK, I'm going to admit that I've "flaked" a sail and left it looking like this briefly, but never for long enough for anyone to get a picture.

00f0f_lMLXqJ7jhOs_1200x900.jpg

18 grand for an old Columbia and 50k for what looks like it is indeed a really nice Etchells? The prices are self-mocking. The laundry pile on the boom is a more worthy target in my not so humble opinion.

16 hours ago, slap said:

How about an old (1982) Etchells converted to a "gentlemans daysailor"?   Only $49,900.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Etchells-Etchells-22-Daysailer-3114445/Sister-Bay/WI/United-States

Admittedly it does have a Torquedo saildrive unit.  But aren't old Etchells going for $500 to  $10K?

Here's an Etchells in Denver that is presently listed at $3100 that is definitely NOT mockable. Puts this "gentlemen daysailor" in perspective. 

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/etchells-sailboat-hull-785/6244411729.html

PDX craigslist is always a perpetual source for home-brew anchors.  This one gets points for advertising "like new."  Like new what?

00a0a_e6z7D2P90ic_600x450.jpg

the other style they sell in PDX is traditionally made from old car springs.

00505_e4LlSU8nn5C_600x450.jpg

6 minutes ago, toddster said:

PDX craigslist is always a perpetual source for home-brew anchors.  This one gets points for advertising "like new."  Like new what?

00a0a_e6z7D2P90ic_600x450.jpg

the other style they sell in PDX is traditionally made from old car springs.

00505_e4LlSU8nn5C_600x450.jpg

Artisan anchors ;) 

4 minutes ago, Machsquad said:

Artisan anchors ;) 

Those things are called "river anchors" here - does anyone know why conventional anchors are not satisfactory for fishing on a river?

There is actually a pretty slick method for using those grapple-style anchors with a float and turning block - if you have a high-power boat.  You drag them along from fishing spot to fishing spot and they automatically set when you stop.  Gotta watch out for people towing those darned things around hog lines.

Kalama%20hogline%203.JPG

Just gun the motor and the anchor rises up to the float, where you can drag it to the next spot.  One came with my boat - I don't think the PO understood the concept.

Some people use a small drogue off the stern to keep the boat aligned to the current.  Anchoring in current can sink small boats like these in a hurry, if the force comes from any direction except straight off the bow.

maxresdefault.jpg

5 hours ago, Machsquad said:

Artisan anchors ;) 

Can we get Panope to test one of those bad boys???

4 hours ago, sculpin said:

Can we get Panope to test one of those bad boys???

Sculp,  My prediction is that we will see great clouds of turbidity as I drag those around the harbor.  

Might get lucky and snag an old crab pot or even better, another anchor!

Beer would help my motivation.

Steve

1 hour ago, Panope said:

Sculp,  My prediction is that we will see great clouds of turbidity as I drag those around the harbor.  

Might get lucky and snag an old crab pot or even better, another anchor!

Beer would help my motivation.

Steve

Ask him for rum.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, Machsquad said:

anchors

The last pic is of a classic columbia river anchor.  Lots of people are switching to the claw anchors nowdays.  The bouys are anchor pullers, you motor up river and the current against the ball lifts the anchor and a clutch holds it up.

10 minutes ago, Blitz said:

The last pic is of a classic columbia river anchor.  Lots of people are switching to the claw anchors nowdays.  The bouys are anchor pullers, you motor up river and the current against the ball lifts the anchor and a clutch holds it up.

That's clever I'll give them that

The bouy also allows you to leave the anchor when you hook a fish.  Can't fight fish in a hog line without wrapping everyone else up.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:44 PM, groundhog said:

Another misplaced decimal - two places this time.

Only the cabin needs "makeover"

please call or Kristy"   

I think I will just Kristy.......whatever that is...

nilly.gif

14 minutes ago, Port Wine said:

Only $15k!! Hurry or someone else will grab it...

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/40-foot-steel-ketch-145-ft/6258221382.html

And it's already been pre-recycled by the look of it. Great labor saving device, you don't even need to rent a dumpster and a Sawz-All. Entertain all your friends!

FB- Doug

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Wow.  Bonkers, but adorable.

Looks like great care has been taken in an amazing restoration, but it's still massively overpriced

Are you kidding?   It has a $10,450 price reduction.  Must be a B A R G A I N ! ! !

3 minutes ago, slap said:

Are you kidding?   It has a $10,450 price reduction.  Must be a B A R G A I N ! ! !

Haha.  They'll have to do that a few times more.

But somewhere at the end of the price cuts, someone's going to end up with a solid but wacky pocket cruiser.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Haha.  They'll have to do that a few times more.

But somewhere at the end of the price cuts, someone's going to end up with a solid but wacky pocket cruiser.

That one's been posted here at least three times, and it still hasn't sold. What could possibly be the problem?

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That one's been posted here at least three times, and it still hasn't sold. What could possibly be the problem?

I can't imagine why dumping $40K into an $800 boat wouldn't sell.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

I can't imagine why dumping $40K into an $800 boat wouldn't sell.

If you want to sell it for $4,800, the "dime on the dollar" rule of restorations says it should work just fine.

10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

If you want to sell it for $4,800, the "dime on the dollar" rule of restorations says it should work just fine.

Perhaps ordinarily. But in this case, a 23' 1970 4knsb is not going to get any bites at $4800 even with an over the top refit. There's better deals out there for that money...like perhaps a 1980ish Cat27. 

The amount of time it would take to remove most of the "improvements" would be a massive deterrent. The arch alone would a pain in the ass to remove, let alone sanding and repainting over the Partridge Family Spectacular Spectacular paint job.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, Bull City said:

Is that a jug of white wine in front of the berth?

jugofwine.thumb.jpg.2c8a6071f2e405feb7675f0cc41df1fc.jpg

You alway need a jug of white wine to go with the Ticonderoga #2 pencil collection on the "table"