• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

3 hours ago, Minnesail said:

So it'd be doubly good for a drunk kid?

Probably...it's got two hulls. Isn't that what they're for?

13 minutes ago, Therapy said:

What do you really expect for $650.?

Not brick bulkheads. :D

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've seen 3 tab shingled cabintops but this is the first time for brick bulkheads.

At least he had the decency to do it to a Bucc and not a real sailboat.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/26-ft-live-aboard-sailboat/6358042701.html

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4c4d94ef4b081a36e835c24934029b.jpeg

I love the camo slip covers.

It would be better if it wasn't floating, quite frankly

FB- Doug

15 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I love the camo slip covers.

It would be better if it wasn't floating, quite frankly

FB- Doug

The camo worked, I didn't even see them.

1 minute ago, Mr. Ed said:

But it does have a tiger on the bow ....

Tiger stripe cushions and fender covers...

That one's just sad, Dominic. The price is slightly mockworthy, or would be if you were not following the 800k Roberts.

But after that one, it's not even slightly.

I did check the brokerage ad on the Roberts, just to see if it really meant $7,985.00.

Nope. A "motivated seller" really wants 800k for an old steel Roberts.

I have no real idea what the boat might sell for. Not that.

8 hours ago, DominicShrimp said:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/edmonton/estate-sale/1016537679

You could float it, then finish it as you cruise...

$_59.JPG

I feel bad for the builders broken dream and the widow. She's in for a rude awakening when she finds she will only get 10 cents on the dollar.

Oh yeah, the expected mock. "34 foot aluminum sailboat based on a Roberts 310 sloop design. With great precision and care, he customized this design and added a retractable keel to allow it to go further inland in bad weather."

Had he just stretched her 10% and not messed with anything else I'd be OK with that.

I took a quick look here and saw nothing about a retractable keel.

Make that 5 cents on the dollar.

That thing is only worth scrap value.

Less the cost of scrapping it.

Somehow, I'm reminded of my Mom and her friends who thought they had a nice nest-egg salted away in their shelf full of Hummel figurines...

5 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I feel bad for the builders broken dream and the widow. She's in for a rude awakening when she finds she will only get 10 cents on the dollar.

Oh yeah, the expected mock. "34 foot aluminum sailboat based on a Roberts 310 sloop design. With great precision and care, he customized this design and added a retractable keel to allow it to go further inland in bad weather."

Had he just stretched her 10% and not messed with anything else I'd be OK with that.

I took a quick look here and saw nothing about a retractable keel.

Make that 5 cents on the dollar.

Wow, a chastity strut version is now available!  :)

SAFETY-SKEG.jpg

3 hours ago, Crash said:

I know this is not craiglist, but $24,995 for a Cal 27?  Never mind one in the shape this one is in...

Cal Jensen 27 Click to launch Larger Image        Cal Jensen 27 Click to launch Larger Image       Cal Jensen 27 Click to launch Larger Image

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/69089

A 4 cyl diesel in a 27'?

Sounds like they got a deal on a used engine - would anybody buy a new 4 cyl for a boat that size?

The price is off by nearly a decimal place.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A 4 cyl diesel in a 27'?

Sounds like they got a deal on a used engine - would anybody buy a new 4 cyl for a boat that size?

The price is off by nearly a decimal place.

I don't think they got a deal. If you subtract the normal price of installing that Yanmar from the asking price of the boat, you get... something pretty near what the boat is worth and (just a wild guess from someone who has seen this once or twice) something pretty near what the seller paid for the boat.

8 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Does he even play football any more?  He was kinda of a no-hit wonder.

He actually is a a decent hitter and plays for the METS farm team.

4 hours ago, RImike said:

He actually is a a decent hitter and plays for the METS farm team.

Oh, so he is playing baseball now?  Maybe he will try hockey next.  Too bad he missed the kneeling phase of the NFL.  He was ahead of his time.

Yeah - boatbuilding projects have to be one of the biggest dream killers of all - right next to divorce.

Oftentimes they are a twofer.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 1:27 PM, SloopJonB said:

Yeah - boatbuilding projects have to be one of the biggest dream killers of all - right next to divorce.

Oftentimes they are a twofer.

I've seen similar with experimental aircraft builds as well.

In the hard/soft dinghy thread @olaf hartwas seeking a runabout 18-20' with some shelter. Hey presto!

(The mercruiser 140 prob delivers about the target of 25hp if you're lucky! :) )

On 10/28/2017 at 2:32 AM, MauiPunter said:

Does he even play football any more?  He was kinda of a no-hit wonder.

Yes but he gave Gator endless spank materiel. I miss Gator.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

"It is standing height inside."

You don't say?!?!?! Look at that cabin, wow.

"Mast is 22 feet, Boom is 8 feet."

That's significantly smaller than the rig on my Catalina 22. I wonder what it's sail area / displacement is. Six?

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Best BC offering in a while. Winner.

Makes a Luger blush.

The pushpit is huge or the freeboard is low.

PHRF 350

Couldn't decide if this should go in the mocking or not mocking threads but I decided the marketing made it worthy of mocking. It's actually a nice boat and quite well built and maintained. John Evetts, the builder, was the local IOR measurer and "designed" this boat as a development of Scampi - he faired out the "chines" on the Scampi hull to an 11' beam flare and did a newer deck. The cockpit is too small to cruise well - really only 2 people fit which limits its appeal and this one has an old big flywheel Volvo diesel as well.

The reason it is here is, as I said, the marketing. It started on CL at around $16K a couple of years ago. Dropped to $12K then later went to a broker and got bumped to $17K. After a few months that listing was dropped and it went back on CL at $9900 and now it's up to $11K. I can't recall ever seeing a price bounce around anything like that. I think someone is going to get a real deal on a nice boat when the vendor finally accepts current market conditions.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/d/evetts31/6377642767.html

image.jpeg.1025a83d2fd38898cd789acbfc15f54a.jpeg

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I once had a small sailboat with an outboard on a bracket. Even though it was a long shaft it still had an annoying tendency to pop the prop out of the water when condition got a little choppy.

That shouldn't be a problem here.

$_59.JPG

...and did he need to chop up two NEW chairs just to get the five spokes for that wheel?

On 10/27/2017 at 5:19 PM, MauiPunter said:

Oh, so he is playing baseball now?  Maybe he will try hockey next.  Too bad he missed the kneeling phase of the NFL.  He was ahead of his time.

He hit for power but not for average in low level minors. OTOH, he drew in a lot of customers and all the team owners were delighted to have him in their league.

14 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Odd hull shape forward like a mobo. I didn't realize it was beautiful. What's a Yeerrongpilly anyway??. Beautiful 14 ft Sail/motor boat | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Brisbane South West - Yeerongpilly | 1164975304

Well, it does seem to include a crappy trailer that is carrying a crappy trailer.

$_20.JPG

That looks like it could be an OK sailboat. Motorboat? No. Too large and heavy for the 9.9 hp he mentioned.

13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Well, it does seem to include a crappy trailer that is carrying a crappy trailer.

$_20.JPG

That looks like it could be an OK sailboat. Motorboat? No. Too large and heavy for the 9.9 hp he mentioned.

Fear not, here is a crappy trailer shaped just the boat, for sale in nearby Yeronga for only 300.00 koalas or whatever they call their currency down there.

Tr.JPG

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Is this dog getting ready to make a scatological statement?

dog.JPG.20477bb009d694db660b606c42268a70.JPG

He may be digging a hole to bury the boat in.

Dogs often have more sense than their owners.

FB- Doug

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

I don't know about Indy, but around here a complete and functional Triton sells for that price. 

Boat is in the Cincinnati area,   At least there it has slightly more water to sit next to.   https://www.strictlysailinc.cosm/product-category/sailboats/used-sailboats/.  No affiliation, only a windowshoper, but this shows the local competition.    Note the $5000 off sale on a 1988 Precision 21.with genuine period correct cushions.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:05 AM, Cincy020 said:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/d/solar-powered-sailboat/6346101061.html

Solar Powered "Sailboat".  Looks like they took off the rudder to have an actual helm to control the trolling motors.  In use by "experienced boater".

...this I gotta see. :mellow: ......

'' ''unlimited cruising time when the sun is shining.''

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:
Image may contain: tree, plant, grass and outdoor

HotRod's newest design? I must say, it looks stronger than origami steel. No need to worry about running in to shit, either. 

12 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:
Image may contain: tree, plant, grass and outdoor

I know it's not a photograph because a photo would have either a couple of chickens or a goat wandering in and out.

FB- Doug

It really is a fascinating design. Getting the least usable volume out of the largest number of blocks. I can admire that.

• Like 3

Needs a couple Brent S. Designed steel “hatches” as the doors and windows to complete  the picture...