blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

At least stow the can of ether. Kind of a dead give away of engine starting issues.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Catalina-Sloop-3101956/San-Pedro/CA/United-States#.WhLd7UxFzIU

6281259_20170630134843096_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=924&h=693&t=1498859323000

“The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next windward mark." Hunter S. Thompson, slightly edited for context. 

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I have friends who waste hours just riding around on motorcycles. I don't get it. Why would anyone who doesn't have to get on a public road? Ever?

And some of them don't even wear brain buckets.

Why would they if they have nothing to put in them?

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I have friends who waste hours just riding around on motorcycles. I don't get it. Why would anyone who doesn't have to get on a public road? Ever?

Inventing a motorcycle for the water was a stroke of genius. He's no more to blame for assholes than the guy who invented motorcycles is to blame for the loud pipes that seem so essential. And annoy me about as much as a nearby jetski.

I think there are people who cannot have fun without running an internal combustion engine at high RPMs.

13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Inventing a motorcycle for the water was a stroke of genius. He's no more to blame for assholes than the guy who invented motorcycles is to blame for the loud pipes that seem so essential. And annoy me about as much as a nearby jetski.

Brain buckets not required in South Carolina.

"South Carolina is too small for a nation and too large for an insane asylum." - James Petigru, 1789-1863

16 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

+1000

16 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Motorcycles aren’t so bad.   At least you have the entertainment of betting on the outcome as they weave in and out of traffic.   Jet skis while sailing sound like the neighbors weed wacker revving during your outdoor wedding, except sailing is far more important and enjoyable then a trifling thing like marriage.  

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Motorcycles aren’t so bad.   At least you have the entertainment of betting on the outcome as they weave in and out of traffic.   Jet skis while sailing sound like the neighbors weed wacker revving during your outdoor wedding, except sailing is far more important and enjoyable then a trifling thing like marriage.  

Also, it isn't legal to shoot at jetskiers during your wedding, if that's at all important.

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Also, it isn't legal to shoot at jetskiers during your wedding, if that's at all important.

469A681F-22C2-468E-BAA7-1E3DFCD1E908.jpeg

On 11/20/2017 at 7:54 AM, bmiller said:

At least stow the can of ether. Kind of a dead give away of engine starting issues.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Catalina-Sloop-3101956/San-Pedro/CA/United-States#.WhLd7UxFzIU

6281259_20170630134843096_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=924&h=693&t=1498859323000

Or the beginnings of a great Adventure.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. . ."

Edited by bplipschitz
I see Mr. Ed and I think alike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Or the beginnings of a great Adventure.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. . ."

Well, when we went all Old Gaffer, I was thrilled to discover that we had actual, real lizards aboard. I still call for them occasionally. 

[Note from ed: A lizard is a deadeye attached to a lanyard used for redirecting a sheet, guy, or other line]

[[Note from ed's mate: Hunter S. Thompson knew he had taken enough drugs when the lizards appeared]]

16 hours ago, Bull City said:

Brain buckets not required in South Carolina.

"South Carolina is too small for a nation and too large for an insane asylum." - James Petigru, 1789-1863

They're not here either, but they have to have extra "no brain bucket" insurance I think. I actually worked to help them get that law. At the meetings, I told them they were all idiots and should wear brain buckets. They told me all about why they shouldn't. They can see and hear better without one. Whatever. I support their right to do it but think it's foolish.

7 hours ago, Uncle Fester said:

That's too sad to mock and maybe too far gone to even be counted among the Zombie fleet.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I support their right to do it but think it's foolish.

Do you also volunteer to clean up the brains they spread across the road or do you leave that to others?

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do you also volunteer to clean up the brains they spread across the road or do you leave that to others?

That's why they have to carry extra insurance, I assume. That seems a reasonable compromise to me. Those who don't want to pay can wear a brain bucket.

I think they're all pretty nutz, bucket or not, but have lots of friends who really love their motorcycles.

I'm sure the first responders really appreciate that extra insurance the morons carry when they have to clean up the brains and then go home to their families.

It'll guarantee no PTSD type nightmares for them - absolutely.

People who are too stupid to wear helmets should be required to provide their own cleanup crews. Leave their bodies under a tarp until their private crew can get there.

That's freedom.

Seriously, it's not enough that they provide their own clean up crews or pay extra insurance. People who survive serious head injuries usually become wards of the state, and require expensive care for the rest of their lives. This costs the rest of the community a lot of money, which is all well and good. But it should not be too much of an imposition to require that that people who ride motorcycles (and bicycles), and risk such injuries, to wear helmets. We require people who ride in cars to wear seat belts for the very same reason: to protect themselves and to protect the community at large from the cost of their not wearing seat belts.

I had to explain this to knuckle-headed state legislator who was seriously considering a proposed bill to do away with the requirement that motorcyclists wear helmets. His thinking was that they weren't hurting anyone except themselves. He finally understood the broader implications.

God, help us!

6 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Well, when we went all Old Gaffer, I was thrilled to discover that we had actual, real lizards aboard. I still call for them occasionally. 

[Note from ed: A lizard is a deadeye attached to a lanyard used for redirecting a sheet, guy, or other line]

[[Note from ed's mate: Hunter S. Thompson knew he had taken enough drugs when the lizards appeared]]

I guess they replaced the word "lizard" with "twing".

I liked lizard better.

Steve

50 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Seriously, it's not enough that they provide their own clean up crews or pay extra insurance. People who survive serious head injuries usually become wards of the state, and require expensive care for the rest of their lives. This costs the rest of the community a lot of money, which is all well and good. But it should not be too much of an imposition to require that that people who ride motorcycles (and bicycles), and risk such injuries, to wear helmets. We require people who ride in cars to wear seat belts for the very same reason: to protect themselves and to protect the community at large from the cost of their not wearing seat belts.

I had to explain this to knuckle-headed state legislator who was seriously considering a proposed bill to do away with the requirement that motorcyclists wear helmets. His thinking was that they weren't hurting anyone except themselves. He finally understood the broader implications.

God, help us!

It would appear that of late She has forsaken the USA.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's why they have to carry extra insurance, I assume. That seems a reasonable compromise to me. Those who don't want to pay can wear a brain bucket.

I think they're all pretty nutz, bucket or not, but have lots of friends who really love their motorcycles.

The brain bucketless cost less.  They are dead.  The brain bucket wearers survive more often and are severely injured and require much more (read expensive) treatment than a simple scraping and burial.  It would cost you complainers less, yet you complain.

Now, about EPIRB requirements............

59 minutes ago, Bull City said:

God, help us!

Bull city.

Bull sh1t.

24 minutes ago, Therapy said:

The brain bucketless cost less.  They are dead.  The brain bucket wearers survive more often and are severely injured and require much more (read expensive) treatment than a simple scraping and burial.  It would cost you complainers less, yet you complain.

Clearly you're an extensively experienced rider.

Probably have considerable time as an EMT or ER professional as well.

I've had a couple of friends in desperate need of an organ transplant. The trick was to somehow hang on until spring, when all the fresh 18-y/o motorcycle donor-mobile rider organs come flooding in.  Apparently the brain is the only thing not suitable for donation anyway.  

10 minutes ago, toddster said:

I've had a couple of friends in desperate need of an organ transplant. The trick was to somehow hang on until spring, when all the fresh 18-y/o motorcycle donor-mobile rider organs come flooding in.  Apparently the brain is the only thing not suitable for donation anyway.  

I have enough problems with an OEM brain, I'm not ready to patch in a rebuild.

The Vancouver Parks Board did an online survey about city waterways and access to water recreation last summer. They asked lots of worthy questions like "is access for disabled sailors important". This because they've just announced the $16 million Jericho Pier upgrade with a proper floating dock and like people are going to answer that disabled sailing shouldn't be a priority. Anyway, the survey went through Facebook and all the actual comments on Facebook on the announcement were complaining about jet skis. There aren't even that many in English bay and they aren't really a bother for sailing, but their irritation footprint is considerably larger than even a loud motorcycle.

4 hours ago, Therapy said:

Now, about EPIRB requirements............

Is there any data for either position?

5 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The Vancouver Parks Board did an online survey about city waterways and access to water recreation last summer. They asked lots of worthy questions like "is access for disabled sailors important". This because they've just announced the $16 million Jericho Pier upgrade with a proper floating dock and like people are going to answer that disabled sailing shouldn't be a priority. Anyway, the survey went through Facebook and all the actual comments on Facebook on the announcement were complaining about jet skis. There aren't even that many in English bay and they aren't really a bother for sailing, but their irritation footprint is considerably larger than even a loud motorcycle.

That's a big part of the fun of riding around on a jetski.... annoying the crap out of other people.

A lot of jetskiers don't even pretend it's fun all by itself. With a huge amount  of open water to buzz around, they invariably flock to docks or anchored boats with people waving them off. I've had two real confrontations with jetskiers, one in which a clueless kid crashed into me while sailing and his father blamed me (and the mother gave him hell far greater than I could have), the other off our home dock when I put some lengths of floating rope in the water for them. They didn't appreciate my thoughtfulness.

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Therapy said:

Bull city.

Bull sh1t.

Therapy, do you wear a seatbelt? Following your reasoning, should we ban helmets for motorcyclists?

Feiend’s 35 yo son lives at home after a motorcycle accident in 2004. Can’t remember anything for longer than about 30 seconds. He meets me for the first time every time. 

He can remember everything from before the accident...he should have worn a helmet.

Anyway, who wants in on this opportunity! 

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/d/65-catamaran/6391522236.html

00w0w_3EIDys7AN32_1200x900.jpg

15 hours ago, toddster said:

The ones from riders without a helmet are defective anyway ...

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They did it right in the San Juans - complete ban of the imbecilic things.

..and Sydney harbour. You forget how annoying the fuckers are until you go to Moreton Bay or the Broadwater.

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Clearly you're an extensively experienced rider.

Probably have considerable time as an EMT or ER professional as well.

NOPE.

EMT certified in 1979 ( I think-it has been a loooong time). RN license in 1985. 30 + years in OR -  Over 15 in Ortho, Trauma, Neuro,  Joint reconstruction -  in a "Trauma Center".  Over 250,000 miles on motorcycles.  Main transportation for 15 years straight as I could not afford car or insurance and early on even phone)

Is that OK with you?

YOU?

18 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Is there any data for either position?

There is lots of it.

Problem is it is "statistics" and you know as well as I that they lie and are not objective in the right hands.

P.S. I hate Jet Skis and loud Harleys too.  

12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Therapy, do you wear a seatbelt? Following your reasoning, should we ban helmets for motorcyclists?

I wear a seat belt (the chimes are irritating AND I know I am better off with them - AND with all the new ANTI-ROLLOVER electronic stuff AND the ABS stuff AND  air bags AND AND AND. ) and I ride a motorcycle.

In FL I don't (at this time) have to use a helmet.  When I ride around the neighborhood in the evening I am thankful that I do not have to wear a helmet in the opressive FL heat and humidity at 0 - 20 mph.  If I go other places or distances at other times at 500mph I wear ATGATT." https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ATGATT

"Ban helmets for motorcyclists".  Are you stupid?  WTF!  

OK now, don't go on and skew what I have said, please.  Lets just live and let live (or die-right?)

Do you want to sail on the "ocean blue" and be left alone to your own devices or not?

What a shame it was let go like that.

I can't imagine the circumstances where I would be owned by a traditional wood boat in this climate.

3 hours ago, Windward said:

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/classic-wood-yacht-damali/6383584631.html

Not a sailboat, but woah... what a project.   Falls way way past the line of "free is too much"

Cool spotlight. Too bad about the wasted 100 grand. Hope no one is foolish enough to waste more money on it.

What evil person inflicted that cost center on a charity?

• Like 2

Wow, what a classic it was. Last hauled in 2000? WTF? Not surprised it sank, and needs pumps 24/7.  Hardest part of restoration is going to be finding a yard willing to haul it. Dumbfounded a charity was willing to accept it.

Don't ban jetskis - ban loud ones.  Put an incredibly restrictive limit on the noise level they're allowed to generate and see if that creates enough incentive for the manufacturers to figure out a solution.  Yeah, even 62dB jet skis would be somewhat annoying, but you could pretty much ignore them.

13 minutes ago, -OvO- said:

Don't ban jetskis - ban loud ones.  Put an incredibly restrictive limit on the noise level they're allowed to generate and see if that creates enough incentive for the manufacturers to figure out a solution.  Yeah, even 62dB jet skis would be somewhat annoying, but you could pretty much ignore them.

Except when they are slaloming through the anchorage.

42 minutes ago, -OvO- said:

...and put a throttle masturbation damper on them. Somehow... Not getting that beating off with the wrist "thrill" should kill the rental business.

2 hours ago, -OvO- said:

Fuck that - ban them.

It's not the noise - lots of power boats make a lot more noise - it's the moronic behaviour of the people riding them that is the problem.

As the president of a small sailing club at Jericho I have in the last two years turned down the offer of a donor Hobie 14 and a Tornado. That 78 footer just gives me the heebie jeebies. It's cool how they start the photo set with the boat in her prime and as you go through the photos the situation gets more and more dire. 

The general problem with non profit organizations and donor anything is who is supposed to do the work? And if you were to get 100,000 hours of skilled volunteer labour out of a bunch of people, who would own the thing after? Like a strata, for a club like us it's better to collectively pay for any serious damage to be repaired professionally even up to the point of a special assessment to raise money. Otherwise you either have one or two skilled people doing all the work, or stuff gets repaired badly. 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:20 AM, SloopJonB said:

Fuck that - ban them.

It's not the noise - lots of power boats make a lot more noise - it's the moronic behaviour of the people riding them that is the problem.

Built-in grenade in the engine that detonates if the noise level exceeds threshold or they exceed the speed limit in a posted area.

But banning them from enclosed waters is simpler to enforce. Sydney Harbour is way better off without the things IMO. First they warned the users & dealers, then they brought in a special licence class. Made no difference, the dickhead factor went right on happening. Banning them worked.

Another case, like lawyers, where the bad behaviour of the 95% ruins things for everyone. So sad too bad.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Another case, like lawyers & realtors & car sales, where the bad behaviour of the 95% ruins things for everyone. So sad too bad.

FKT

Elaborated on.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

And no pictures of the deck. If they're giving it away, I assume it's pretty rough shape, and worth much less than the cost to install it. Never mind a shitload of unsightly old screw holes to bung. Itll make nice firewood, if someone else removes it.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Ha - that's a Colvin Saugeen Witch hull. I'd really like to get my hands on the Edson steering gear out of it. I'd take the port holes too.

The deck - no. Not without the rest of the boat and probably not then either - I very recently declined to take a similar sized hull with functional rig & good engine for the cost of freight (approx $2K). Too damn old to be taking on another multi-year project for something I don't need.

FKT

A Wet Coast Fisher conversion. Might be fun in a breeze, dead engine and laying abeam in waves. That's some outboard extension.

I like the red seat for the commander. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/d/truly-awesome-boat-24-retired/6388910676.html

00000_9IfwXhxRnP0_600x450.jpg

Looks like he got one of those architectural railing people to the lifelines.

23 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

A Wet Coast Fisher conversion. Might be fun in a breeze, dead engine and laying abeam in waves. That's some outboard extension.

I like the red seat for the commander. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/d/truly-awesome-boat-24-retired/6388910676.html

00000_9IfwXhxRnP0_600x450.jpg

I hope no one tests the idea that the transom is built for 250 hp.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:07 AM, Foiling Optimist said:

As the president of a small sailing club at Jericho I have in the last two years turned down the offer of a donor Hobie 14 and a Tornado. That 78 footer just gives me the heebie jeebies. It's cool how they start the photo set with the boat in her prime and as you go through the photos the situation gets more and more dire. 

The general problem with non profit organizations and donor anything is who is supposed to do the work? And if you were to get 100,000 hours of skilled volunteer labour out of a bunch of people, who would own the thing after? Like a strata, for a club like us it's better to collectively pay for any serious damage to be repaired professionally even up to the point of a special assessment to raise money. Otherwise you either have one or two skilled people doing all the work, or stuff gets repaired badly. 

Which club, FO, if you are comfortable saying?

On 11/24/2017 at 3:07 AM, Foiling Optimist said:

It's very difficult and laborious to organize volunteers. You have to be very tactful, and always remember that it's impossible to overpraise. You have to accept that you are less than dust and all people you coax into doing useful stuff are the important ones. It is more cost effective to work and use the money to pay professionals, with two exceptions: professionals aren't necessarily skilled, they just take your money AND in the cases where the organization simply has no money.

Getting a junior sailing club started with cast-off Optis and other junkers, I spent more time inspecting and organizing and teaching how to do the work than it would have taken for me to do the work myself. BUT that ripple spread, and soon others picked up the torch, and the boats were actually in good shape, and the kids were really enthusiastic, and we could really spend more and more time sailing.

But it's also true that there is "stuff" people want to give you that is not worth having. Be selective.

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, groundhog said:

Which club, FO, if you are comfortable saying?

Companionway Sailing Club. Incorporated in 1974 by Sid Butler, a co-founder of Jericho itself.  He has long passed but as president I try to stay true to his values of competent recreation and serious fun.  The Hobie 14 was fine as far as I could tell from pictures. But we already have a Hobie 16 and a Nacra 570 and two monohulls plus Lasers etc so it wasn't filling a gap and it would have cost money to store. Further, I'm of the view that the H14 and 16 are old designs and it shows compared to the Nacra 500, which I would prefer in place of the 16. The 570 is dramatically nicer to sail than the 16. The Tornado was going to be a project, and more expensive to store and not really suitable for the club.  We'd  be much better off with a raceable F18 at that point. If someone offers you a "free" boat it's tempting though of course.  We have actually taken two donor kayaks.  One wasn't much good and it got cut up but the nice lock it came with has been great for our carbon SUP.  The other one was a rotomoulded plastic boat that was covered in green biofilm. A thourough wash revealed it to be as good as brand new and it has become part of the fleet, replacing the oldest plastic ruddered sea kayak that got sent to a high school outdoor program.  The donor boat is better for fooling around which is what they mostly get used for. I'm grateful to these offers and take them all seriously but you have to be clear in your thinking and your goals in the long run.  

That last kayak is a good example like the cats, that newer boats can be a lot better than old boats and old boats in even good condition have to be seen for what they are which is often fundamentally not as easy to sail or enjoy as newer boats.  Unless you are purely driven by aesthetics and form over function, but we're a club and we're not. There could be a thread subsection for "Mocking perfectly good old boats which are actually a pain in the ass to actually sail" here.  Though I think we actually do that well with a lot of old IOR racers and ferrocement anything.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

There was one (25'?) that raced local yc races many years ago. From several lengths behind the starting line he'd be gunning for it with 2 minutes to go. One time we sailed up to him, bore off, and blasted through his lee on way to start, like he wasn't even there. Backwash from our sails momentarily turned his sails inside out. He protested us for forcing him onto the other tack. Protest hearing was pretty hysterical... guy ranted for 20 minutes about sailing catboats on the Detroit River in the 20's.

13 minutes ago, RKoch said:
On 11/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

There was one (25'?) that raced local yc races many years ago. From several lengths behind the starting line he'd be gunning for it with 2 minutes to go. One time we sailed up to him, bore off, and blasted through his lee on way to start, like he wasn't even there. Backwash from our sails momentarily turned his sails inside out. He protested us for forcing him onto the other tack. Protest hearing was pretty hysterical... guy ranted for 20 minutes about sailing catboats on the Detroit River in the 20's.

That's a great perspective; I have never seen one of these under way under sail, much less racing.

I had a friend buy one of these.... bigger, I think it was around 30'.... to live aboard. He never left the dock, towed it to his slip in the same marina it had been sitting in when bought. It was a really comfy and roomy liveaboard. But the only times I've seen these things away from a dock, they were motoring in sheltered water.

FB- Doug

One of my neighbours got one (25'?) in working order for $100 or something. He loved it and said all the trash talk about their performance was just that.

Despite the temptation I maintained my honour.

On 11/23/2017 at 2:20 PM, SloopJonB said:

Fuck that - ban them.

Yeah, Fuck That!  We did where I live and they are not missed!!!!!

On 11/28/2017 at 12:59 AM, Foiling Optimist said:

Companionway Sailing Club. Incorporated in 1974 by Sid Butler, a co-founder of Jericho itself.  He has long passed but as president I try to stay true to his values of competent recreation and serious fun.  The Hobie 14 was fine as far as I could tell from pictures. But we already have a Hobie 16 and a Nacra 570 and two monohulls plus Lasers etc so it wasn't filling a gap and it would have cost money to store. Further, I'm of the view that the H14 and 16 are old designs and it shows compared to the Nacra 500, which I would prefer in place of the 16. The 570 is dramatically nicer to sail than the 16. The Tornado was going to be a project, and more expensive to store and not really suitable for the club.  We'd  be much better off with a raceable F18 at that point. If someone offers you a "free" boat it's tempting though of course.  We have actually taken two donor kayaks.  One wasn't much good and it got cut up but the nice lock it came with has been great for our carbon SUP.  The other one was a rotomoulded plastic boat that was covered in green biofilm. A thourough wash revealed it to be as good as brand new and it has become part of the fleet, replacing the oldest plastic ruddered sea kayak that got sent to a high school outdoor program.  The donor boat is better for fooling around which is what they mostly get used for. I'm grateful to these offers and take them all seriously but you have to be clear in your thinking and your goals in the long run.  

That last kayak is a good example like the cats, that newer boats can be a lot better than old boats and old boats in even good condition have to be seen for what they are which is often fundamentally not as easy to sail or enjoy as newer boats.  Unless you are purely driven by aesthetics and form over function, but we're a club and we're not. There could be a thread subsection for "Mocking perfectly good old boats which are actually a pain in the ass to actually sail" here.  Though I think we actually do that well with a lot of old IOR racers and ferrocement anything.

I sailed out of Jericho for a few years at the end of the 90s.  One of the best stretches of my life.