blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

That is the one! Thanks!

The owner was reportedly having a great day. This requires a Hot Rodian level of ignorance, I suppose, but he did get to the right bottom line.

DSCF0046.JPG

good thing to keep watch aft. don't want anything to happen to that outboard ...

This ad is a bit confusing... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/420-Sailboat-15-Foot-Open-Daysailer-Built-for-the-English-Channel-/331004043379?pt=Sailboats&hash=item4d1160e073&vxp=mtr

Can you imagine sailing a 420 with that outboard on the transom?!

Didn't know Honnor built 420s... if they did, would they put tanbark sails on it? This is yet another case of a dumbass with no idea what he's got trying to sell it to another even dumber ass.

420s are rather common around sailing areas (Hendersonville NC is up in the mountains), they are basically the standard trainer for sloops and for high school & college racing. This particular one is obviously old & stripped, no CB, no running rigging, tiller (and probably rudder too, can't see well in the pics) home-made by a person with only a poor idea of what he's making.... boy howdy just put uh outt-board onna thang an fergit about that sailin' crap!

FB- Doug

there was a dad at the club I tought at who bought his son a 420 that was so old it had wood rails and such. The part that killed me though was it had 2 mast steps and two locations for shrouds. I have no idea about the forestay, there must have been a second shorter one. The mast could be moved very far forward, about 2 feet forward and sailed singlehanded with the main alone. This boat was ancient and I can just imagine his delight at getting a 420 for such a deal. It was soft all over and leaked terribly. He thought his son was headed to the Olympics when in reality his son hated sailing, hated sailors, hated the club. But he loved music and other stuff. Classic case of Dad trying to make his son into something he wasn't. When the kid finally quit for good dad tried to sell the boat for wayyy to much $ and shocker there, no takers! I think it died in his back yard. It was a horrible boat.

I sailed a Honnor Marine 420 when I was at school. Bit bendy and leaky but still better than a double maths lesson...

there was a dad at the club I tought at who bought his son a 420 that was so old it had wood rails and such. The part that killed me though was it had 2 mast steps and two locations for shrouds. I have no idea about the forestay, there must have been a second shorter one. The mast could be moved very far forward, about 2 feet forward and sailed singlehanded with the main alone. This boat was ancient and I can just imagine his delight at getting a 420 for such a deal. It was soft all over and leaked terribly. He thought his son was headed to the Olympics when in reality his son hated sailing, hated sailors, hated the club. But he loved music and other stuff. Classic case of Dad trying to make his son into something he wasn't. When the kid finally quit for good dad tried to sell the boat for wayyy to much $ and shocker there, no takers! I think it died in his back yard. It was a horrible boat.

Hah! I remember the 420s you could sail as a cat rig. IIRC nstead of a forestay, you just used the jib halyard when rigged as a cat (mast in forward position). These came out just after the hollowed log.

About the kid, it's a shame nobody ever showed him how a fiberglass hull makes one of the world's best percussion instruments.

FB- Doug

From the Funny Typo's Department

Boston Whaler Stripper

They did make a model called a Striper back then and this boat may have been one at one point, but when it's a bare hull it doesn't really matter which console/seating package it used to have. They were all the same hull.

$2k for a bare hull and a good trailer is a fair price.

I would not and do not mock.

We sneer all the the time at SeaRay's and the like. Here is a much better looking boat with the same sort of speed potential, better living quarters, and a more business-like look.

You're late to the game with that one newbie - I posted it some time back.

And where is your submission of the requisite tits? ;)

I think that's a handsome vessel. Bolger did later have to admit he screwed up on this one, though. In the design phase Bolger thought the boat would plane with 50 HP, but during builder's trials the boat failed to perform to expectations with the specified Honda 50 even after a lot of trial and error with different props. It wound up needing 90 HP to get the boat above displacement speeds. Despite the fact it wasn't as economical to run as originally intended, it's still a pretty great river cruiser for the money. Tony Groves built a bunch of Bolger designs, always to a high standard, and I'm sure this one is no exception. I'd hit it. It's also a hell of deal even at the asking price.

You can make something about that size plane with a 50 and you can even do it if you put a mast on the thing, but it's not necessarily a good idea for everyone.

The hull looks like Bolger was using the same general plan as that cute little tugboat thing: a sharpie-ish hull with a wider hull up and outside of it. Off plane, the wide parts provide stability, while on plane they are out of the water and create only air drag. Great plan, except for that transitional "getting on plane" phase. That's where the extra 40 hp was needed. It probably could plane with a 50, but only if you could get it over the hump.

I think that's a handsome vessel. Bolger did later have to admit he screwed up on this one, though. In the design phase Bolger thought the boat would plane with 50 HP, but during builder's trials the boat failed to perform to expectations with the specified Honda 50 even after a lot of trial and error with different props. It wound up needing 90 HP to get the boat above displacement speeds. Despite the fact it wasn't as economical to run as originally intended, it's still a pretty great river cruiser for the money. Tony Groves built a bunch of Bolger designs, always to a high standard, and I'm sure this one is no exception. I'd hit it. It's also a hell of deal even at the asking price.

Agreed; I like this a lot more than the Nomad. If it was closer than California I'd be doing some serious lobbying....

I wonder what the load is on the hull bottom at plane? Bolger was certainly savvy enough to work out stuff like this. It's a got a much heavier footprint than the littler/simpler versions of this type hull.

FB- Doug

Yeahbut, this time we get the full-on glory in pictures not presented before. They make the case, more than ever, at just how awful this poor boat is. With each picture you see you start wondering why it's actually for sale and where did you leave your eye bleach.

It's sad, really.

Yeahbut, this time we get the full-on glory in pictures not presented before. They make the case, more than ever, at just how awful this poor boat is. With each picture you see you start wondering why it's actually for sale and where did you leave your eye bleach.

It's sad, really.

Looks like a WATERWORD participant

Here's a little multihull project for ya...

Please tell me this hasn't been posted yet..

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3913779751.html

Now that's a beauty.

more broken blue water catamaran dreams. the clutter tells a story of desperate effort followed by resignation. what a sad photograph :(

Now that's a beauty.

more broken blue water catamaran dreams. the clutter tells a story of desperate effort followed by resignation. what a sad photograph :(

I think the clutter tells the story of either a work area that became the area's junkyard because everybody knew nothing good was happening already, or a disorganized person who could never get their act together.

Come to think of it, both could be true.

FB- Doug

Now that's a beauty.

Yes looks like shes been sitting for many years, also, its a Chris White 54 Hammer head trimaran design, I believe.

I love his multihull designs.

Where to start with this one....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/4033810772.html

00c0c_kIDFYFOXfNo_600x450.jpg

I'd don't think I've ever seen so much FAIL wrapped into such a small package

Might be a nice motor & trailer, though.

>$10K ??? somehow I doubt it

I'd start with a stick of dynamite.

NO the pieces would crawl back together like a zombie & re-animate !!

FB- Doug

Thanks for posting, I got my laugh for the day. How someone can invest 14 into something liek this is beyond me. OTOH, One man's trash.....

Hey careful, don't trash everything about that boat- I've got a Lowrance HDS8 plotter that works ok.

looks like the angry martian from bugs bunny

A cup of gasoline and a match?

Oh, the guy who makes those tops had an ad a couple of weeks ago - a half dozen different boats like that pictured in one ad. Can't find it now

Fortunately

Oh, the guy who makes those tops had an ad a couple of weeks ago - a half dozen different boats like that pictured in one ad. Can't find it now

Fortunately

You should out him so we can publicly shame him.

At least he has a working plan in place. Wife says "sell the boat" so they can buy a house, husband prices and markets the boat accordingly.

At least he has a working plan in place. Wife says "sell the boat" so they can buy a house, husband prices and markets the boat accordingly.

You're right, didn't think of that angle even though I've sugeted it in other cases... guy could be a genius... except for having spent $14k on -that-

FB- Doug

At the end of the day, a Bayliner is a Bayliner and a Pinto is a Pinto.

p993861695.png

it's that "judgement" that's frightening for the bubblicious bay area real estate market......

if the guy who makes those sloppy tops can make money... he's a genius

00f0f_fQQQ5Duwc78_600x450.jpg

stucco and the side window from a snugtop?

5537135853_134d0ffdcc_z.jpg

NYPD may be interested

it's that "judgement" that's frightening for the bubblicious bay area real estate market......

if the guy who makes those sloppy tops can make money... he's a genius

00f0f_fQQQ5Duwc78_600x450.jpg

stucco and the side window from a snugtop?

The fact that he found a single sucker customer makes him a marketing genius at the very least.

Oops. No, the ones I saw were aluminum. Must be a big enough market out there to support more than one builder.

hasnt that been posted before? what i want to know is how the steering is connected from that far forward up by the mast.... and how does the sail drive work so close to the water line? better yet how loud is that motor inside that tin can called a cabin? at least he has a fusion stereo and the cool puerto rican stripper blue lights on it...

hasnt that been posted before?

whoops... maybe. But, it is still for sale - no price listed so I just need to make the right offer.

If I see one more fucking "vessel" with a pickup truck topper for a cabin top, I'm going to flip out. That is the most ghetto, redneck, mouth-breathing, slack-jawed troglodyte modification that I've ever seen.

It's ugly, it's unsound, it's wrong, and it makes me want to beat guys like HotRod with a winch handle, and not the red, floating variety either.

If I see one more fucking "vessel" with a pickup truck topper for a cabin top, I'm going to flip out. That is the most ghetto, redneck, mouth-breathing, slack-jawed troglodyte modification that I've ever seen.

It's ugly, it's unsound, it's wrong, and ... .... ....

And those are it's GOOD points

FB- Doug

Hey Ajax-

You know there are lots of guys out there like this

linky linky... serious boat stupidity caught on camera

The Navy takes dunderheads like this and makes sailors out of 'em (in a very very limited way). Scary!

FB- Doug

It's ugly, it's unsound, it's wrong, and it makes me want to beat guys like HotRod with a winch handle, and not the red, floating variety either.

I agree.

A prefab garden shed would provide more headroom.

I am a horrible person because I find this thread more entertaining than the "boats to admire" thread.

Hey Ajax, remember "The Jug" at Holiday Hill? I need to get a photo of it for the "boats to admire thread'

Well, sadly, my slip neighbor (way back up near the top of the "ugly boat" thread) which hadn't moved or had a registration decal in years, finally disappeared a couple of weeks ago. It must have moved horizontally - the marina isn't deep enough for it to have sunk there. When the wind blows from that direction, it now actually makes a significant difference to my docking maneuver. I hadn't realized how much shelter I was getting from that camper shell.

could you tell us how you really feel? Cause I get the idea you might cut this guy some slack and pistol whip him with a winch handle

00D0D_7IDdAiVJaG_600x450.jpg

"Too attached to part out"

Here's the money shot:

01111_3kcS1TPXyNV_600x450.jpg

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/4059270147.html

If I had a pretty new Yanmar like that, I'd want to show it off in the middle of the cabin too.

looking at the location and angle of that engine I wonder, does it has a surface piercing prop?

edit: Now I see, is that attached to a saildrive?

nice marketing tool...

J33 Sailboat - $1 (Lake Union)

00505_ixyxir5To0D_600x450_zps9ce3c6b3.jp

Best boat you will ever find but I need it gone. It is in Lake Union, moored but not for long so need to find moorage asap. Please just take it. It was my boyfriend's boat but mine now and I really can't afford it. It really is free.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 4061455093

Posted: 2013-09-11, 3:49PM PDT

email to a friend

nice marketing tool...

J33 Sailboat - $1 (Lake Union)

00505_ixyxir5To0D_600x450_zps9ce3c6b3.jp

Best boat you will ever find but I need it gone. It is in Lake Union, moored but not for long so need to find moorage asap. Please just take it. It was my boyfriend's boat but mine now and I really can't afford it. It really is free.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 4061455093

Posted: 2013-09-11, 3:49PM PDT

email to a friend

I would not get involved in that disaster no matter how nice a boat. No good will come from this ad.

Hey Ajax-

The Navy takes dunderheads like this and makes sailors out of 'em (in a very very limited way). Scary!

FB- Doug

P1040436.JPG

Looks like someone's craigslist ad successfully sold the jetski trailer!

Hey Ajax-

FB- Doug

P1040436.JPG

You should have seen him when he hit his head on the camper lid

Then the jetski fell out on the ramp

When I'm having a bad day, I still think about this guy

FB- Doug

Hey Ajax-

FB- Doug

P1040436.JPG

You should have seen him when he hit his head on the camper lid

Then the jetski fell out on the ramp

When I'm having a bad day, I still think about this guy

FB- Doug

I've seen this tried with a motorcycle, a ramp, a pickup. It resulted in a smashed rear window and the rider flying completely over the front of the truck.

I spent time working at the Embarcadero Marina in Dana Point....some of the stuff we saw completely defied logic.

A 23' boat with mast steps!

I must admit I did not even notice the mast steps. All I thought was "if this is best picture you can take of your boat, it must be in really bad shape". BUt he does say it is in "sailing condition" not "good condition" or "great condition".

Dunno... one of the striking things about the PDX craigslist is that there are lots of kayaks and dinghies with asking prices greater than the 5KSB's. There is a bit of cognitive dissonance.

For a time, during the early '80s industry collapse, several manufacturers were consolidated under the Gloucester/Wellcraft/Starwind name. They bought the molds & rights for some of the Chrysler boats from TMI, then spun them off to Ticon and Cardinal.

I didn't know Wellcraft made sailboats.

Another ferro monstrosity. I liked the "must be towed away" part - maybe to deep water?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4059766423.html

I like the "don't call unless serious" tag. It appears in so many choice ads, the proper translation must be something like "don't call unless you are even nuttier than I am, but with more money."

FB- Doug

ebay not CL but still. Not a bad looking boat but the sails? hope this works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/32FT-Endeavour-Sailboat-AARRGG-/190900846752?pt=Sailboats&hash=item2c7293c0a0#v4-35

I have an Endeavour 32. I am pretty embarrassed by this one. Not only does this fellow have idiotic taste, he also can't spell. Oh, I see has has another set of sails for being a bit more stealthy pirate.

Another ferro monstrosity. I liked the "must be towed away" part - maybe to deep water?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4059766423.html

I like the "don't call unless serious" tag. It appears in so many choice ads, the proper translation must be something like "don't call unless you are even nuttier than I am, but with more money."

FB- Doug

Do you think being seriously interested in mocking the boat would qualify?

This is a gem aint it? Kinda like the flyin hawiian thread without the hate and pain. This thread, ugly boat admiration society, and cool boats to admire have my votes as the best 3 threads on SA. Thank you Cruising Anarchy!

What I like about this thread, aside from that I thought it was a good idea, is that it is lacking, how shall I say it, Oh yeah...meanness.

I think one can mock, even in an admiring way, and not be mean.

Meanness is cheap, and overrated.

This is a gem aint it? Kinda like the flyin hawiian thread without the hate and pain. This thread, ugly boat admiration society, and cool boats to admire have my votes as the best 3 threads on SA. Thank you Cruising Anarchy!

+3

+3

Agree.

I think this boat could fit in any one of the three. But I'll put it here because it's on CL:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4072110235.html

00R0R_aW5WVDc38HN_600x450.jpg

"Home made custom 8 foot near new, river pram by retired general contractor, 300 hours to build, flat bottom, high freeboard, 1/2 inch Ecuadorian and U.S. marine plywood, oak guards, all brass screws, brass protection at leading edges, 2 stern, 1 bow, natural finish. This is a one of a kind gem looking for an appreciative owner. "

+3

Agree.

I think this boat could fit in any one of the three. But I'll put it here because it's on CL:

"Home made custom 8 foot near new, river pram by retired general contractor, 300 hours to build, flat bottom, high freeboard, 1/2 inch Ecuadorian and U.S. marine plywood, oak guards, all brass screws, brass protection at leading edges, 2 stern, 1 bow, natural finish. This is a one of a kind gem looking for an appreciative owner. "

300 hrs for $200, ouch!

+3

Agree.

It has a very pointy bow for a pram.

I have to imagine that the 300 hours includes the 260 hours of thinking hard while drinking rum.