blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

45 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I think this may have been listed before but it bears repeating.

Possibly the most neglected and overpriced Valiant 40 on the market.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Valiant-40-CT-Sailboat-2922800/Richmond/CA/United-States#.WkY3BW5lBJ9

That's just sad.  And the price is just a bit north of delusional.

Am I missing something on the pricing?  I get the boat is pretty beat, but at 49,500 it is the cheapest valiant 40 listed on yacht world.

5 hours ago, hdra said:

Am I missing something on the pricing?  I get the boat is pretty beat, but at 49,500 it is the cheapest valiant 40 listed on yacht world.

One minor thing buried in the listing..." Blister boat ". Those words applied to a Valiant 40 are usually the kiss of death.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

One minor thing buried in the listing..." Blister boat ". Those words applied to a Valiant 40 are usually the kiss of death.

Did no one notice the large blisters cracking open ABOVE the waterline??? The blisters underwater must be huuuuge!

That is an expensive blister job.

I'm not sure I've seen blisters above the waterline before. I'm not even sure how you get that level of osmosis above the waterline. Did it spend some time underwater or is the laminate that shitty that water migrated that far north? 

Those Valiants made with Hetron resin have blisters so bad that the deck blisters worse than a fairly badly blistered bottom on other boats.

A bad one is a total loss - the blisters are all through the laminate - everywhere.

It was the reason Uniflite folded from what I understand - huuuge lawsuits and the boats were basically unrepairable.

The nice thing about the Hetron resin is that is was FIREPROOF! I guess the idea was that it osmosed to the point that it had enough moisture to put itself out in case of fire. Just joking really about an attribute that is no joke. Uniflite was making lots of patrol boats during the Vietnam era and the fireproof resin was a requirement but why they kept using it on private boats afterward was a real bonehead move. They actually bragged about the use of the MilSpec resin until the blisters started popping up. 

Hetron is still around, Uniflite not so much...

Uniflites prior to 1973 do not blister. 

In the manufactur of Hetron resin, Dupont used liquid bromine ....when the oil crisis in 1973 increased the cost of making liquid bromine 500% they switched to solid bromine which is the cause of Uniflite blisters. 

They were sued and folded up shop in 1982." 

LIFTED From the Passagemaker board , 

After the Arabs & Jews had their tussle in '73 the resin was reduced in quality , weather FR or not. 

I was building Sub chapter "T" boats then and the price of resin went from 19c to 75c+ a pound. even after it was garbaged . 

I am constantly SHOCKED that new owners today , decades after the blister hassles, that new purchasers don't DEMAND FR (fire retardant) resin. 

The few cents a pound would hardly matter in todays fly weight boats , but the ability to survive a shipboard fire should matter to folks laying out bucks by the Hundreds of Thousands!!:?: 

Considering the worlds largest source of liquid bromine is the Dead Sea and you can walk from the plant where it's made to the Jordanian border (I've done it myself), I'm not surprised the 1973 war disrupted things. I sure wish they'd put FRs in more resins just because it would be good for me personally. Did they solve the osmosis problem due to FRs? 

Sadly the best thing that could happen to that boat would be a fire. And that can't happen, well not enough.

44 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Agreed. Different main hatch, no dodger, etc.

Nothing about that photo says Catalina. Also in the ad there are two different masts. One roller and one slab.

Maybe some kind of scam ad.

13 hours ago, soak_ed said:

That's just sad.  And the price is just a bit north of delusional.

It’s a bank repo.  If marine loans are like real estate loans, the loan price may be based on fiction but the bank officers cannot admit the fiction without admitting malfeasance.   Therefore the property sits with a fictional price until somebody steals the copper and the roof leaks.    

1 hour ago, Lark said:

It’s a bank repo.  If marine loans are like real estate loans, the loan price may be based on fiction but the bank officers cannot admit the fiction without admitting malfeasance.   Therefore the property sits with a fictional price until somebody steals the copper and the roof leaks.    

I for one have never stolen a roof leak. I'm happy to give them away.

• Like 2

I've always had to pay to have them disappear.

4 hours ago, Lark said:

Yes, my take from that ad has always been, WHAT bank gave anybody a loan on that boat in the first place?  And can I interest them in my Bikini Inspection franchise scheme? 

BTW, the $50K Valiant 40 in PDX appears to be just about equally poxed as the one featured above, except nobody has yet opened them up with a grinder.  It's a bit cleaner, but doesn't have all the winch doilies and such.

The dilemma for the hopeless dreamer is whether to gamble that the failed copolymerization has run its course after 40 years, and that a reasonably cheap DIY repair would last another 40 years.  I am such a fool, but try as I might, $50K seems to be a bit over my risk threshold.  

3 hours ago, toddster said:

Yes, my take from that ad has always been, WHAT bank gave anybody a loan on that boat in the first place?  And can I interest them in my Bikini Inspection franchise scheme? 

BTW, the $50K Valiant 40 in PDX appears to be just about equally poxed as the one featured above, except nobody has yet opened them up with a grinder.  It's a bit cleaner, but doesn't have all the winch doilies and such.

The dilemma for the hopeless dreamer is whether to gamble that the failed copolymerization has run its course after 40 years, and that a reasonably cheap DIY repair would last another 40 years.  I am such a fool, but try as I might, $50K seems to be a bit over my risk threshold.  

$5K might be a bit much.

14 hours ago, hdra said:

I missed the blisters...

Huh? The decent photos of them were one of the reasons I didn't give the listing broker much shit. That and "Blister Boat" being a bullet point in the description.

He basically told anyone who was listening that they're selling a hull, and a bad one.

Why he accepted the listing is a mystery.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Huh? The decent photos of them were one of the reasons I didn't give the listing broker much shit. That and "Blister Boat" being a bullet point in the description.

He basically told anyone who was listening that they're selling a hull, and a bad one.

Why he accepted the listing is a mystery.

The broker is based in Utah and the boat is in CA. That's interesting.

34 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

If the Dead Sea is so full of Bromines, then the Great Salt Lake in Utah should have plenty too. 

It's full of Mormons. They don't integrate into resin well at all.

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I for one have never stolen a roof leak. I'm happy to give them away.

I have had to pay for a repair and then have the roof leak worse!

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's full of Mormons. They don't integrate into resin well at all.

Well yeah, everybody know resin is loaded with caffeine.

I'm a fan of repurposing things and actually have this exact walker downstairs with a broken handle. My wife told me to toss it, so of course it's going in the shed. But I don't think I'll ever do this with it.

15LongWalker.jpg

The associated ad:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/1992-evinrude-15hp-longshaft/6438913137.html

That's a long shaft. How the heck he got it hanging on the walker I don't know. Stand the engine on the ground and sandwich it between walker and board would be my guess.

I'm a fan of repurposing things and actually have this exact walker downstairs with a broken handle. My wife told me to toss it, so of course it's going in the shed. But I don't think I'll ever do this with it.

15LongWalker.jpg

The associated ad:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/1992-evinrude-15hp-longshaft/6438913137.html

That's a long shaft. How the heck he got it hanging on the walker I don't know. Stand the engine on the ground and sandwich it between walker and board would be my guess.

Where's the tennis balls? It's suppoed to have tennis balls duct-taped to the feet.

It'd be cool if they put one on the prop too, just for this ad.

FB- Doug

That seller needs to clean the lens on his phone badly.

8 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

That seller needs to clean the lens on his phone badly.

I think he already did that.

That's a FL pic. Walk out of the air conditioning into the FL air and your phone lens will take pics that look that way too.

I see a fair number of these 9.9 and 15 hp motors that are long shafts. What are they for? Especially the 15's? No sailboat that takes a motor on a bracket really wants 15 hp (well, except oddballs like the big MacGregor catamaran). On a small boat, building a higher transom and putting on a longer shaft is just more weight. Good only for keeping following seas from dunking the engine. I haven't encountered a boat with a 20" transom that I'd want to put a 15 on. They're all 15" transoms.

So who was buying these long shafts back in the late 80's and early 90's and for what?

The 9.9's are sailboat pushers to beat the 10 HP limit for not having to license your boat.

The 15's I have no idea about unless it's to push bigger boats than a 9.9 can handle - there now seem to be lots of 30 footers where an A4 inboard was yanked and replaced by an outboard.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The 9.9's are sailboat pushers to beat the 10 HP limit for not having to license your boat.

The 15's I have no idea about unless it's to push bigger boats than a 9.9 can handle - there now seem to be lots of 30 footers where an A4 inboard was yanked and replaced by an outboard.

I'm not sure how far these engines may migrate in their lives but we've never had that 10 hp rule in FL. During the time period when these were sold new, the rule was: engine = registered boat, none = no registration required. There was some rule to register big boats without engines but did not apply to most recreational boats. The rules have become more strict and now I'm supposed to register any kayaks over 16' long, which are the only kind I own.

Someone bought that 15 long new in 1992 for some reason. I was around and playing with boats at that time and just can't figure out why they wanted it.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm not sure how far these engines may migrate in their lives but we've never had that 10 hp rule in FL. During the time period when these were sold new, the rule was: engine = registered boat, none = no registration required. There was some rule to register big boats without engines but did not apply to most recreational boats. The rules have become more strict and now I'm supposed to register any kayaks over 16' long, which are the only kind I own.

Someone bought that 15 long new in 1992 for some reason. I was around and playing with boats at that time and just can't figure out why they wanted it.

There are a number of smaller lakes that do have a 10hp limit on them.   I worked on the waterfront of Lake Wauberg in Gainesville for two years and that lake had a horsepower limit.

Also, longshafts under 25hp were used as auxiliary (get home motor) for offshore outboard fishing boats that either did not have the transom room for full sized twin engines or that the O did not want to pay for two large motors.

Stumbling

I thought the 9.9 was to beat the 10hp max on some lakes. Change out the jets and change the prop and you have a 15 horse engine. Also, they were used as auxiliary along with large outboards on fishing rigs as Stumble said.

19 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I think he already did that.

pesky adverbs

Sounds like he got it all stripped to rebuild and then found out what the refit was going to cost.

This boat is very well made.  Only the $# don't work out.  Please consider a low offer.

Possibly the most over-modified MacGregor 26X ever

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/1999-macgregor-26/6449586806.html

That's just good comedy. Generator, air conditioner, shower, hard top, mysteriously modified but unused rigging... those are pretty good.

But no one else thought to put a central vacuum system in one. 

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's just good comedy. Generator, air conditioner, shower, hard top, mysteriously modified but unused rigging... those are pretty good.

There was a Mac26X sitting in a slip at a marina near us with one of the biggest instrument pods I've ever seen, every kind of electronic gizmo including radar; a hard dodger, autopilot, etc etc. Dunno what they added below but could easily have included A/C and marble counter tops.

If they're having fun with it, that's good.

FB- Doug

Redundancy is good. 2 fridges, 6 fans, 2 cans of WD40, 2 extra solar panels, 2 cans of Febreeze...-_-

This Mac26 is "expedition ready", which means it has a full dodger enclosure.

It is an Alaska vet, which means they motored to Ketchikan...B)

It is stunning how much these owners put in the boats and the resale value up here.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/2006-macgregor-26m-expedition/6448621211.html

57 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

This Mac26 is "expedition ready", which means it has a full dodger enclosure.

It is an Alaska vet, which means they motored to Ketchikan...B)

It is stunning how much these owners put in the boats and the resale value up here.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/2006-macgregor-26m-expedition/6448621211.html

Considering the boat has a Yukon registration, saying "Alaska vet" is almost meaningless. They could probably tow it to Ketchikan and back in an afternoon.

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's rather amazing. Don't even think about making sense of it. If you ask "why", the answer is because he can.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:22 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

15LongWalker.jpg

The associated ad:

When I first saw this and read the first line of Uncooperative's text, I thought, how nice, someone is selling a motor on a stand that is sitting underwater, how honest of them...   It took a bit to figure out that it was a humidity picture.

Stumbling

Not CraigsList, Nice boat, but...

What's wrong with this ad, which has appeared in the last two issues of Wooden Boat?

gulfstream30_01.thumb.jpg.6f5029aac64b551897d9af909b515ed0.jpg

The lead rudder?

9 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Such a deal!

(Who do I call?)

Precisely. I was amazed that (a) WoodenBoat didn't suggest to the owner that he (or she) include contact info., and that (b) the owner hasn't figure it out yet. It's been that way for the last two issues, maybe more.

58 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Precisely. I was amazed that (a) WoodenBoat didn't suggest to the owner that he (or she) include contact info., and that (b) the owner hasn't figure it out yet. It's been that way for the last two issues, maybe more.

Well, you just call down to the switchboard operator in Orient, Sue Ellen will know who is selling the boat, she'll put you straight through.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bull City said:
1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

Such a deal!

(Who do I call?)

Heh....... Oriental is not a big city. You don't call anybody, you just go there and drive around for six or seven minutes. You'll see it. Then go knock on the door. Be careful of the next door neighbor's dog, though

FB- Doug

Call your bank to arrange the loan and the airline to arrange the flight 

May have been noted here before, but still seems like an interesting business model:

Custom Steal Sailboat

Presumably, payment and delivery is only after he's "gotten away with it?"  Not sure what the 47 inches is about.  

9 hours ago, toddster said:

May have been noted here before, but still seems like an interesting business model:

Custom Steal Sailboat

Presumably, payment and delivery is only after he's "gotten away with it?"  Not sure what the 47 inches is about.  

Went to their website. It's very 1990's, for those who remember what websites were like back then.

http://www.dutchlove.com/about_dutch_love.htm

But it does seem like a practical boat with lots of time-proven mods. I particularly like the ability to carry a Trinka and a RIB. Great answer to the question, "Do you want a sailing/rowing dink or a fast one?"

YES!

She's in for a rude awakening on that $30K ask.

6 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Sad story, no happy ending in sight.

Yep. Widow is about to learn that dear departed hubby's expensive hobby was lotsa money thrown down a rat hole, she'll be lucky to get somebody to come take the boat off her hands without her paying a huge transport & disposal fee. With the thru-hulls out of it, you can't even turn it upside-down and make a decent shed.

FB- Doug

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep. Widow is about to learn that dear departed hubby's expensive hobby was lotsa money thrown down a rat hole, she'll be lucky to get somebody to come take the boat off her hands without her paying a huge transport & disposal fee. With the thru-hulls out of it, you can't even turn it upside-down and make a decent shed.

FB- Doug

Well, that's $5 worth of corks and she's good.

9 hours ago, Port Wine said:

Only 30k - might come with through hull fittings. Windlass sold separately.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/70334

image.png.ca1461f4d853360559460d67ad62d809.png

Sounds like the parts "in dry storage" could be sold and mostly pay for the disposal of the hull.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:05 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Or a wine chiller for the Mrs.

19 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I've been offered hulls for free if I removed them. They were still too expensive.

One was really tempting and I was seriously thinking about it until I got an email from a friend in NZ who'd just had 3 stents placed in his arteries. He's younger than me. I got over it at that point.

FKT

Might actually be a coolboat to admire, I'm not sure.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/24-van-wijk-2005-diesel-motor/6436823651.html

00p0p_fwq1mx68nfE_1200x900.jpg

But this part struck me as funny:

The stern plate allows her to plane at full throttle.

00W0W_17xLs05lips_1200x900.jpg

If true, it must be an ugly sight. Boats like that aren't supposed to go planing by.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/24-van-wijk-2005-diesel-motor/6436823651.html

If true, it must be an ugly sight. Boats like that aren't supposed to go planing by.

Depends on the weight and the hull shape, difficult to asses from the pics in the ad. It looks heavy and badly shaped for planing even with a stern plate but I've been fooled before (by photos, not so much in person). The horses in that Yannie are a lot more muscular that the ones in outboards, but still.........

FB- Doug

45 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Depends on the weight and the hull shape

2,000 lbs and lifeboaty. Shouldn't plane ever, shouldn't try with 40 hp.

11 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I also admire what appears to be a repurposed convertible top as a dodger. 

Thanks for the video KC. Look at that water fly! Pretty funny. Doesn't make quite as ridiculous a wake as I thought, so there's that.

Lover the Wikj. It's a sleeper! Like the two tone primered Karmann Ghia with the Porsche engine that a buddy of mine put together at the height of the musclecar era. He loved to pull up next to Mustangs, Firebirds and Chargers at the stop lights and blip the throttle to challenge to a drag race. 

^

played that game with BMW 5's & 7's in the 70's , fun to see gt's and chargers in the rearview mirror :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Lover the Wikj. It's a sleeper! Like the two tone primered Karmann Ghia with the Porsche engine that a buddy of mine put together at the height of the musclecar era. He loved to pull up next to Mustangs, Firebirds and Chargers at the stop lights and blip the throttle to challenge to a drag race. 

To be technical, by it's DNA any engine in a Karmann Ghia is a Porsche engine.

25 minutes ago, Mid said:

^

played that game with BMW 5's & 7's in the 70's , fun to see gt's and chargers in the rearview mirror :ph34r:

I doubt you will do that to an M5.  Zero to 60 in 4.1 seconds.  

I hate BMW but I have driven an M5 and it's a beast.

I was driving the BM's , didn't own 'em , new cars going over the pits for rego .

From Tonto, Frankenstein & Tarzan:

Single man sail boat needs to go - $200 (Concord)

condition: salvage 
length overall (LOA): 9 
make / manufacturer: Not know 
model name / number: Not know 
propulsion type: sail 

I do not have the title for this boat. It needs some work but most of all it needs parts. Needs to go I can work with the price. The boat is roughly 9'. I do not have anything else for the boat, no sail, no skeg, or rudder. Just the boat.

I'm not mocking the boat, and I admire the man for helping his friend, but the highlighted statements were kind of funny. Also, the web site that tells you all about the boat is in Finnish.

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/d/motor-sail/6386491679.html

Motor sail - $8500 (Carolina Beach NC)

Finn Sailer 35 ft 
I am selling for a friend. This is a solid fiberglass boat. It has a pilot house with full canvas inclosure. It has a full galley with 3 burner propane stove. Nice counter space with single sink with booth style table that seats four. Has a v brith forward that sleeps 2. Spacious cockpit with tableland full canvas inclosure that can be removed to be in the sun. Some of the extras on the boat are autopilot ,VHF radio ,battery charger, 12 volt refrigeration and 110 refrigerator and12 volt electric head. Not sure if any of this is working. The boat is located in Carolina Beach North Carolina at a private dock. This is a rare find unique motor sailor. This boat had a 85 horse Perkins engine that has been removed and is no longer available. It has three sales which are in good shape. There is an inflatable 10 foot dinghy that may need to be repaired not sure.If interested you can contact me for other info and location. The owner is anxious to sell. All offers considered. The web site that tells all about it is finnsailer.com

On 1/19/2018 at 10:45 AM, KC375 said:

That's pretty cool. Boat is certainly moving...... didn't get a good enough look to see if this one has the stern plate.

Next year's model....... it turns into a hovercraft.

FB- Doug

Not sure if this should be mocked or not:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/ottawa/30-ft-morgan-located-in-montego-bay-jamaica/1317444683?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here's a 30 ft Morgan located in Montego Bay Jamaica.  $CAD5,000. That's about $4,000 US.  Cheaper than a two-week charter. 

Buy the boat, sail for a month and *give* it away (if someone will take it).  Call it a day. 

What's the catch?  There is always a catch. 

maybe the catch is that people have been warned not to leave your resort in Mo Bay due to nonstop violence against tourists?

1 minute ago, chester said:

maybe the catch is that people have been warned not to leave your resort in Mo Bay due to nonstop violence against tourists?

Yeah, that's a catch.  Good point.  I forgot about that. 

21 hours ago, bugger said:

Not sure if this should be mocked or not:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/ottawa/30-ft-morgan-located-in-montego-bay-jamaica/1317444683?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here's a 30 ft Morgan located in Montego Bay Jamaica.  $CAD5,000. That's about $4,000 US.  Cheaper than a two-week charter. 

Buy the boat, sail for a month and *give* it away (if someone will take it).  Call it a day. 

What's the catch?  There is always a catch. 

The catch is, it's a Morgan 30/2, not a Morgan 30 like Tom Scott's.  

This thing has been sitting by the main road out of Punta Gorda for a very long time.

I guess the property sold and the new owner wants it gone. He posted this on Facebook. The comments are a riot. He seems annoyed by questions like "does the engine compartment hold one or two" and "do you have more pics?"

I think he hasn't yet realized that he will be annoyed by dreamers and then have to face a disposal expense and it would go better if he just skipped to the end part.

PGsMinnow.jpg

19 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

This thing has been sitting by the main road out of Punta Gorda for a very long time.

I guess the property sold and the new owner wants it gone. He posted this on Facebook. The comments are a riot. He seems annoyed by questions like "does the engine compartment hold one or two" and "do you have more pics?"

I think he hasn't yet realized that he will be annoyed by dreamers and then have to face a disposal expense and it would go better if he just skipped to the end part.

PGsMinnow.jpg

It looks a bit like my dad's old Bruno-Stillman. Great boat.  Free is probably a good price for someone looking to undertake a project. Finding a motor is going to be big $ though.

Rather pointless to post pics of a sister ship. How big a 'project'? Sister ship doesn't answer that question.

47 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

says it's a project boat, and puts pictures of a sisters ship 

Highly mockworthy!  I think this is turning the mocking knob all the way to 11!  

That is hilarious.  Thanks for the laugh.  

PGsMinnow.jpg

He'll be lucky if somebody doesn't come along and take the jackstands and leave the boat.

FB- Doug

• Like 1