blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

A Yankee 30 is a pretty good boat. Yea, the engine is forward, like a Tartan 30. If it does have a new motor, the price isn't  out of line. Any 45 year old boat is going to need some work...as long as a buyer knows what they're getting in to, and has some DIY skills, $4800 is a bargain.

33 minutes ago, ancientseawolf said:

Just gotta love a propulsion system that looks offset

It's more common than you think. Prop shafts were initially offset in order to avoid cutting the deadwood and rudderpost when fitting an inboard to boats that didn't originally have them. And sometimes it makes the interior arrangement work better.

Apparently it can help offset prop walk as well.

I've seen it done on a late 70's 1/2 Tonner. I think that was for interior layout reasons but I'm not certain. Certainly eliminates any conflicts with the rudder when pulling a prop or shaft.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently it can help offset prop walk as well.

I've seen it done on a late 70's 1/2 Tonner. I think that was for interior layout reasons but I'm not certain. Certainly eliminates any conflicts with the rudder when pulling a prop or shaft.

Our C&C 29-2 had an offset prop shaft, made life very easy when it came time to pull the shaft to change out the cutless bearing.

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

A Yankee 30 is a pretty good boat. Yea, the engine is forward, like a Tartan 30. If it does have a new motor, the price isn't  out of line. Any 45 year old boat is going to need some work...as long as a buyer knows what they're getting in to, and has some DIY skills, $4800 is a bargain.

Did you see what they did to the motor though?!    It's hard to be 100% sure from the photos but I am pretty sure they moved it to the middle of the boat from comparing with other ones.  Look at the little sliver of space beside the engine box.   Seemed like one of those had a good idea that wasn't actually.   So in this boat the offset might have been best left alone, it's one of the reasons I didn't spend the money to go see it at it's earlier price.  

1 hour ago, jgbrown said:

Did you see what they did to the motor though?!    It's hard to be 100% sure from the photos but I am pretty sure they moved it to the middle of the boat from comparing with other ones.  Look at the little sliver of space beside the engine box.   Seemed like one of those had a good idea that wasn't actually.   So in this boat the offset might have been best left alone, it's one of the reasons I didn't spend the money to go see it at it's earlier price.  

No, the engine wasn't moved. Looks like same location as stock.

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

No, the engine wasn't moved. Looks like same location as stock.

image.jpeg

Interesting. I was about to link you the photos that made me curious about if it had been moved/clearance to get past it to the rest of the boat... and they have been removed from the ad.    They were the  only photos in which you could see the galley clearly too, and it seemed closer to where the cabinet aft of the engine is in the drawing and farther towards the center.

I've seen a few boats with the engine in that position and it seemed ideal to me, Weight centered, great access for engine work etc.

You need enough beam that the engine box doesn't create foot room problems and very good sealing & soundproofing to preclude stink & noise but if you have those it works great.

It's only a few inches off-center.  You might not be able to tell in a photo.  The square aft of the motor is a folding dinette table that would have to be removed to open the engine box.  So when closed, the engine box makes an extended dining table.  And prevents you from sitting in the forward part of the port settee.  

They did sort of the same thing on my boat, with a hanging locker.  Since I don't really need to "sleep six," I extended the box laterally, over the settee, and made a king-sized chart table and nav station.  Works great for me.  

On 3/23/2018 at 9:29 PM, ALL@SEA said:

Saw that one and it's not all that far from me. Maybe I'll go & take a look tomorrow just for laughs.

I'd take it if they paid me $12K and delivered it. Otherwise, no. I have a very painfully good idea just how much work is needed to make that collection of welded steel into a boat.

FKT

This isn't a mock, more of a punch in the gut. C$95K for a 36' Ferro which is what the late son paid, though its open to offers. I was hoping the interior was amazing but it isn't and doesn't have a proper stove. Very sad all round.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/36ft-ferro-cement-boat-for/6543000927.html

"This boat was recently bought by my son who dreamed of sailing to Hawaii. He fell ill soon after the purchase and passed away suddenly. The previous owner has kindly said he would answer any questions as I don't know much about boats and has given me some pictures....I am available to show you the boat and have listed it for the price my son paid, though due to the circumstances I am open to offers. Thank you."

36_foot_ferro.jpg

He paid $95,000 for that? With all the good boats around here for sale for peanuts, he paid almost $100k for a 36' ferro? What the hell was he thinking?

00n0n_d4rLhje3oEN_1200x900.jpg

$9500 is a more realistic figure. It's an old boat...looking at the pics the electronics appear ancient, and it looks like the motor has a little under 5000 hrs. Interior isn't bad, except for that weird wallpaper stuff.

I am pretty sure that same boat appears in the early pages of this thread.  I think the decimal shift was probably correct..  

Hmm... maybe not. I seem to recall some whinging about the bobstay and that boat doesn't seem to have one.  

It's also made it a long way up the Fraser - the local elephants graveyard for boats.

It's currently about 10 miles from salt water - I doubt that boat could make headway against the current - it would strictly have to go with the tide.

I agree and I sincerely hope it is a typo. $9500 is perhaps decent if the motor is good and hull is dry. But indeed, as I was writing the post I was thinking about the Sloop John B Up the Fraser River Index of Nautical Futility......

The paisley-lsh covering on the inside of the cabin trunk is noteworthy.

I noticed the Sanitas wallpaper just before I noticed the spot where the PO with dyed hair reclined 

I can’t explain the photoshopped nut above the Heineken can

Not sure exactly what that shape on the bulkhead is, but my dresser has a mark exactly the same shape, with a little divot in the middle... from where great grandma’s candle used to sit, about a hundred years ago.  

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I noticed the Sanitas wallpaper just before I noticed the spot where the PO with dyed hair reclined 

I can’t explain the photoshopped nut above the Heineken can

I don't think that's a recline mark, looks like a doggy-style mark.

Oh yeah, it is the wife’s hair for sure

She could have at least thrown the Beer can away when he was done with them

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, dew said:

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/catalina-custom/6535881930.html

A 77 CUSTOM Catalina 30 $10,700, motivated seller!  Looks to missing some parts, mast, boom gained a polithouse??

That is horrifying.  Looks like HotRod did the modifications, including the garden shed where the cabin used to be.  "A good project boat."  Well, that's half correct.  It's a project, for sure.  Was the owner trying to convert this into a flower planter?

• Like 1

Amazing how it was said to be a project boat but looking at the pictures you can't really see what was done to move the boat's condition forward from what you would expect it would look like if you parked it on land in London Ontario for 20-30 years and left it there. OK, some wood was clearly worked on, but really.

26 minutes ago, Marx Headroom said:

Marx’s discovered gem of marine architecture needs to be preserved for posterity, it will surely sell fast and the listing could be lost.    Four foot keel not shown unfortunately.

Home made boat about 4ft wide by 7ft long roughly 4ft deep. Made of 3/4 inch thick wood screwed together. Owners of property do not want it there and boys never came back to work on it. All sides are good straight sheets. The weathered look is polyurethane coming off 

29F8E7D8-0E4E-447F-8258-321111731B20.jpeg

99289B20-26C5-479B-88F5-463803F31AA1.jpeg

5 hours ago, Marx Headroom said:

That's probably the heaviest and yet the crappiest pram hull I have ever seen. But I bet Lark is right that someone snaps it up. There's a weird inverse relationship between quality and marketability on craigslist sometimes.

Two entries from our area today. The first one looks to me like a pretty nice boat, being sold by the original 1982 purchaser. It appears to have been well kept. But this was pretty funny to me:

One of a kind, only 1 of 2 built

Ouch. What happened to the other?

And the ad featured this photo twice:

00x0x_aT5be4CNodH_1200x900.jpg

And one boat later, there they go!

Look out wallet! The crazy idea to make money selling boats is coming!

Then there's this one:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/35-sailboat-warrior-iii/6525512044.html

Last chance to avoid the Zombie Fleet, which is exceptionally well-represented at that particular boat yard.

Hydrovane self steering ($4K) 4 cylinder 30 HP Kubota engine that has a stuck valve on number 4. A mechanic said it could be fixed for less than $300.

A new $4k self steering unit is the same as most any other new upgrade to an old boat: adds a dime of resale value for each dollar spent. So there's 400 bucks.

The thing to say to such a mechanic is, "OK, go ahead" if you have in mind selling your boat. This is an example of the little-used "dollar on the dime" rule. For every dime that you tell a buyer he will have to spend, he hears a dollar. So there's $3,000. And the reason the rule is little-used. Most have better sense and will simply repair something instead of mentioning a repair cost that no buyer will believe.

The problem here is:

A new TV with built in DVD player and a new CD/ radio of the Marine variety.

She is on the hard at Glades Boat Storage near Labelle ,FL and you can live on the boat as you get her ready to splash as many others here do. It is $18 dollars a day to be here in work yard.

If you put a TV into a boat and it becomes and $18/day hotel room instead of an ongoing project, eventually ill health will force a sale.

Seems fitting that the Warrior is also conveniently located in the cheapest marina in all of Florida.

i never considered that a badge of honor on sale day

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's probably the heaviest and yet the crappiest pram hull I have ever seen. But I bet Lark is right that someone snaps it up. There's a weird inverse relationship between quality and marketability on craigslist sometimes.

That measures 1/2 board by shy full board by 1/2 board. Not the first one I’ve seen...

40 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Seems fitting that the Warrior is also conveniently located in the cheapest marina in all of Florida.

i never considered that a badge of honor on sale day

I don't think it was intended that way. More of an explanation for why you have to go so far to see it. And everyone has to go far to see it.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:52 AM, jgbrown said:

But how?  It was built by a designer, so it must sail well!

Maybe it’s Ming Ming 3

People are funny. He says he'll have better pics in a day or so, but apparently thought the world couldn't wait to see this one.

The banjo appears in another image as well. Not that many boat ads feature a banjo.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/heritage-morgan-37-sailboat/6558416808.html

00u0u_ecmhv5EhdkO_1200x900.jpg

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

People are funny. He says he'll have better pics in a day or so, but apparently thought the world couldn't wait to see this one.

The banjo appears in another image as well. Not that many boat ads feature a banjo.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/heritage-morgan-37-sailboat/6558416808.html

00u0u_ecmhv5EhdkO_1200x900.jpg

I need a spare flip phone, and a banjo might come in handy..... it looks like there's more horizontal surfac area to spread more crap out on, which I also need..... bargain!

-DSK

I think I'm too old to be able to deal with a pair of 3 speed wenches.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/14/2018 at 6:20 PM, Deadhead said:

Take the banjo.

Leave the boat.

Burn the banjo.

Sink the boat.

How do you stop a banjo player from playing?  Put sheet music in front of him. . .

I'm new here, but can I play?  Miami is a gold mine for quality boats for sale.  No title,  no hardware, looks like it was t-boned.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 4.41.05 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, zimm said:

I'm new here, but can I play?  Miami is a gold mine for quality boats for sale.  No title,  no hardware, looks like it was t-boned.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 4.41.05 PM.jpg

Welcome to the sandbox. It's customary to provide a link so we can dig for further hilarity.

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It seems this is not a typo - 3/4 $Mil for a steel Roberts 54. :lol:

Well, it does appear to be fully home brew quality after all.

image.png.6375fb64c6d0704ef8313730448dfb9b.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bod/d/cutter-sailboat-for-sale/6566786637.html

I guess it says something about their sailing style that they have a shelf of glass bottles.

roberts-54-steel-sailboat_47.jpg

AND.. why do they always show a messily made up bunk? You can almost smell the aroma of dirty sheets.

14 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

asking $300 is not that bad... trailer looks fine. boat, obviously needs work, but there is no attempt at hiding it... And I sort of like these Oday Daysailers.

I think the trailer is the valuable part and 300 bucks sounds about right.

Unfortunately, the cost of disposing of the boat must be considered. So the trailer probably has negative value.

On April 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM, bplipschitz said:

Burn the banjo.

Sink the boat.

How do you stop a banjo player from playing?  Put sheet music in front of him. . .

1 banjo is more than enough.

2 is 2 too many.

I'm just going to mock the guy behind the boats - not the boats themselves - although some are mockworthy.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/d/ranger-23/6559789739.html

00Z0Z_4kFBL2WZxiD_600x450.jpg

Ranger 23 ft sailboat 
new rigging 
exc sails 
5 hp motor runs good. 
AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 
OR 
COMPARABLE VALUE TRADE 
Delivery options available, UP TO 1,000 miles. 
Pick-up available, for your convenience. 
~~~~TRAILERS AVAILABLE~~~~
Possible partial finance.
Minimally priced installments.
Lease-to-own options.
Reasonable down payment.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
MISCELLANEOUS SAILS AND ROPES AVAILABLE 
For purchase, ranging from $200-$2000
EVERYBOAT *** MUST *** GO!
~The proceeds from the boats and vehicles that we sell, help Mars Rescue provide emergency shelter, veterinary services and foster care for abandoned pets in DFW. For more information about volunteering or adopting, visit :
www.marsrescue.org 
Happy Travels!

He's been trying to sell this for over a year. Current CL view has the boat with 2 different prices, 1,900 and 3,900. Last week he also had another ad for it at 1,200

Then there is the ketch, the numerous catalina 22s , paceship 26, hunter 25, the ericson 28 which was being sold by a private person a few weeks ago, now one of his ads at $800 or so higher. This guy just never stops. It'd be ok if he called himself a dealer, but he doesn't - every boat is listed as private owner. One day he might realize most possible clients arent going to go near him.

Sorry i took up space , but i needed the rant. It must be pissing off those truly trying to sell their sailboats - I'm not - I just like to see whats on the market, but he is an annoying POSter.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I saw the ad a few years ago when it had pictures of the property. It may have been here. It was not very appealing.

Remember the guy who traded up from a paper clip all the way to a house a few years ago?

I always imagined he ended up with something like that.

The kind of place you move to for work when you are out of options.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/d/small-sail-boat/6570469115.html

01515_j3rSQhaMsJC_600x450.jpg

Only the rig is mockworthy.

Around here $300 doesn't get you much in the way of a small tender.

I have to admit that I have the same dink that I scrounged for free and then highly modified. It's a pretty versatile craft.

Don't know why the Craigslist guy is trying to stick a mast into the Painter Storage/Gas Grill/Rod Holder thingy.

Mock away.

IMAG0849a.jpg.2ad2ec0285141037bfac2e0b3a55e2fd.jpg

IMAG0888a.jpg.d850ef7b8825bda1ce05ba5c914ac630.jpg

DSCN2020a.jpg.56521bfbeada0be173e0593db899935b.jpg

On 4/22/2018 at 1:29 AM, dfw_sailor_wannabe said:

I'm just going to mock the guy behind the boats - not the boats themselves - although some are mockworthy.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/d/ranger-23/6559789739.html

00Z0Z_4kFBL2WZxiD_600x450.jpg

Ranger 23 ft sailboat 
new rigging 
exc sails 
5 hp motor runs good. 
AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 
OR 
COMPARABLE VALUE TRADE 
Delivery options available, UP TO 1,000 miles. 
Pick-up available, for your convenience. 
~~~~TRAILERS AVAILABLE~~~~
Possible partial finance.
Minimally priced installments.
Lease-to-own options.
Reasonable down payment.
MISCELLANEOUS SAILS AND ROPES AVAILABLE 
For purchase, ranging from $200-$2000
EVERYBOAT *** MUST *** GO!
~The proceeds from the boats and vehicles that we sell, help Mars Rescue provide emergency shelter, veterinary services and foster care for abandoned pets in DFW. For more information about volunteering or adopting, visit :
www.marsrescue.org 
Happy Travels!

He's been trying to sell this for over a year. Current CL view has the boat with 2 different prices, 1,900 and 3,900. Last week he also had another ad for it at 1,200

Then there is the ketch, the numerous catalina 22s , paceship 26, hunter 25, the ericson 28 which was being sold by a private person a few weeks ago, now one of his ads at $800 or so higher. This guy just never stops. It'd be ok if he called himself a dealer, but he doesn't - every boat is listed as private owner. One day he might realize most possible clients arent going to go near him.

Sorry i took up space , but i needed the rant. It must be pissing off those truly trying to sell their sailboats - I'm not - I just like to see whats on the market, but he is an annoying POSter.

I have looked at a few of his boats and they are all top notch POS's. 

1 hour ago, Crusty said:

This one is back once again. Now with “new improvements!” :lol:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/d/homebuilt-sailboat-134/6569940859.html

FE801F0F-FDE2-40C2-9B1A-DA2DA0B3AD11.jpeg

I think that thing's been on CL for over 5 years now.   He gets a bit testy when questioned about his "design decisions". 

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

This one is back once again. Now with “new improvements!” :lol:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/d/homebuilt-sailboat-134/6569940859.html

FE801F0F-FDE2-40C2-9B1A-DA2DA0B3AD11.jpeg

He should advertise that as a suspected "I was told it was" Stephen Jones design.

image.png.f511f8a7add7b2fc81b9b41488e9bd79.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

No, the bow was made of sterner stuff.... than the stern.

-  Stumbling

You're saying the bow DID fall off

7 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

You're saying the bow DID fall off

No, the bow is clearly there.

The stern fell off.

• Like 1

01515_6U4DNkWHKcn_600x450.jpg.81aae5a706f76fe66d4ef7c8b27f414c.jpg

Homebuilt Ketch Sailboat

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/homebuilt-ketch-sailboat/6573581919.html

Very unique find. Believed to have originally been a Navy life boat retrofitted into a sailboat. All steel construction. Two living compartments, plus front storage and rear engine. Registered as a homebuilt since 1969. Being sold as-is but comes with everything included: furnace, anchors, life vests, toilet, dresser, ropes, gas cans, water tank, diesel tank (1/2 full?), tools, fenders, fishing poles & net, more ropes, inflatable raft & paddles, more tools, arc welder?, extension cords, paint, oils, lubricants, first aid kit, bike, porta-boat, fire extinguishers, snorkeling gear, and big red engine. Did I mention ropes?