blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Looking for a pilothouse? Oh, wait, wrong thread...

You may well pass on this one...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/38-motorsailer-liveaboard/6599326207.html

00x0x_drxhDVv3Zva_1200x900.jpg

I'm trying to figure out the garden hose, bucket, brush and wet dock. Did they actually attempt to clean this thing up for the photos? The sheer at the bow does look a shade darker.

Either that or they are cleaning up the evidence from a fuel spill.

Is the neighborhood that bad that you need to lock up your bike AND the front wheel like in the city?

The bow starts to look darker right about where it would get hard to scrub from the dock. I believe you're right! They did attempt a partial cleaning.

Despite everything else, it should probably be ejected from this thread for that reason. There's always Uglyboats, the Pilothouse thread, and COTB for further discussion of this one, which does sound like fun.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I'm trying to figure out the garden hose, bucket, brush and wet dock. Did they actually attempt to clean this thing up for the photos? The sheer at the bow does look a shade darker.

Either that or they are cleaning up the evidence from a fuel spill.

Is the neighborhood that bad that you need to lock up your bike AND the front wheel like in the city?

I’m surprised they didn’t lock the boat to the dock so the marina wouldn’t kick them into the flotsam zone

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Looking for a pilothouse? Oh, wait, wrong thread...

You may well pass on this one...

I admire the use of structural headers in the construction, rasta wiring, 2 microwaves for redundancy, claim of plentiful storage with pics of crap everywhere and the expansive flare of the ph at the stern.

It is in Richmond on the Fraser, so next ad it will be listed upstream in Mission...

We all know you need a guitar or banjo in the pics to sell a lady like this...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/38-motorsailer-liveaboard/6599326207.html

00x0x_drxhDVv3Zva_1200x900.jpg

Max's boat?

b1495c768f307b9ee55d4fbccca60d82--s-kids

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, Monkey Butler said:

Is that a tennis court net on the stanchions?

sharp eyes, for what might be the most valuable piece on the boat...

9 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

sharp eyes, for what might be the most valuable piece on the boat...

Right, proper yacht stuff. No lubberly volley ball or badminton netting here.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:25 AM, Sail4beer said:

fify!

Yes

The sails appear to be the dacron equivalent of Tom's plywood experiment.:D

49 minutes ago, Machsquad said:

Pictures look good, except for location of the solar panels... Blisters are easy not to show on pictures. 

And it's on a mooring in Panama - that'll do it wonders.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

The inside looks good unless you’re epileptic. 

I thought about stripes on the new cushions for my H-Boat. Whoa! Glad I didn't do that.

Ha, a free boat for $1000!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bpo/d/free-boat/6606432247.html

How is that for failed marketing?

Free boat = red flag

Free boat that is not free = even worse!

Why not advertise the damned thing for 1k???

Oh, and there is 300 ft of stainless railing included? If that is true it would be worth 1000$!

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

That sounds like me with the 3 times a day Boat Removal Guys 

Seriously, there should be some kind of public service Boat Exchange, like the table outside the library. Want a boat, take one. Leave a boat if you have one you're done with. No snitching trailer wheels, though.

FB- Doug

6 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That sounds like me with the 3 times a day Boat Removal Guys 

I put up a NOT for sale sign on a few things in the yard to stop that crap, it worked wonderfully.  There was a piece of shit moped that someone was storing here for 20$ a month, I was spending 20$ worth of time a day telling people to fuck off about it(they get a polite no for the first couple visits).  One guy tried once a week for several months.  I put a tarp over it to stop it, but that only got the people who DIDN'T want that one to come ask what it was. 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/d/catalina-27-tall-rig-summer/6612921926.html

SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. :blink::lol:

I learned to sail on this boat and is a good sailer! started some projects on it but decided to sell it. (I bought a smaller sailboat) I have over $12000 dollars in to this and would like to see it go to someone that would appreciate it. it has a 1 cyl 6 hp petter diesel tabernacled mast, custom stainless steel bow sprit with two anchor rollers, the bottom was extensively redone fixed all the blisters and keel with fiberglass and gel coat (have pictures), and new bottom paint, which should be redone. started installing a diesel heater, took out the alcohol gimbled stove and replaced it with a new stainless steel fixed cook top. interior is dirty, has raymarine navigation system gps chart plotter knot meter and depth gauge, new drive shaft and cutlass bearing with three blade prop, setup for three batteries, ( two house and one engine). rigged for single hand sailing, new main sail, three storm sails, out board motor mount for a backup engine, and a rail mounted propane barbecue. comes with a trailer with a extended tongue . possible trades for collector car or?

00303_aP7eDxxaGYG_600x450.jpg

5 hours ago, jgbrown said:

The perfect gift for someone who hates their father. 

655947525_2018-06-1023_16_03-Columbia50Hullfree-boats-byowner-marinesale.png.99f7c5a51ae9de817613d474fe690a05.png

But it has a bow thruster so it must be somewhat valuable...

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/columbia-50-project/6580241282.html

This is the ad from last month where they wanted $25,000 for it. If it weren’t so big, I’d say go look at it. It’s been redone well and refitting the interior of a 50’ boat can be daunting, but the end result would be valuable.

I say this one goes in the Not mocking thread...

May have improved the under-body, but ruined the lines of cabin top/dog-house.   Was a pretty boat...

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/columbia-50-project/6580241282.html

This is the ad from last month where they wanted $25,000 for it. If it weren’t so big, I’d say go look at it. It’s been redone well and refitting the interior of a 50’ boat can be daunting, but the end result would be valuable.

I say this one goes in the Not mocking thread...

To be honest it wouldn't have even hit my radar for here if not for the "take it home for Father's day" part.  Maybe if you hoped your dad would get a divorce or you just really didn't like him.  "So dad, I know you're getting up there in years, but how bout a few thousand hours of work on something someone else didn't finish".  A free 50' hull(I'm guessing it's hull only left now too now that it's free, They never mentioned a rig either so even back then it was probably minus a mast then too) is the gift that would keep on taking. 

That looks like one of those old ditching rafts that Naval aviators had.

59 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That looks like one of those old ditching rafts that Naval aviators had.

it does. but this one is actually a dinghy, a row boat, a fishing boat, and a kayak all in one.

From RONCO!

Order within the next ten minutes and receive a second for the cost of shipping and handling.

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

Order within the next ten minutes and receive a second for the cost of shipping and handling.

Plus a set of Ginsu Knives to the first 500 callers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

If it was a Pocket Fisherman I'd be all over that offer

5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

From RONCO!

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If it was a Pocket Fisherman I'd be all over that offer

No, no, no... wait... I know, I know !!!

This...

Does it double as a cooler?

I was going to say, fill it with ice & beer and tow it behind you to the next raft up.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Does it double as a cooler?

25 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

I was going to say, fill it with ice & beer and tow it behind you to the next raft up.

...and keeping with the Crowehurst theme you cold fill the rear compartment with cashews. In case anyone feels like nuts.

Edited by Monkey Butler
Spilling

19 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Wow, is it just me or does this look like a mini Teignmouth Electron?

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/6614457469.html

00000_gpuWKBDQjDW_600x450.jpg

I want that.

Someone offer 50 bucks but don't go over 100.  Unless the "crack" in the bottom is just too bad!

Bring it to me in Fl and you can have three nights free at;

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/vac/d/florida-waterfront-cottage/6604764707.html

1 hour ago, Therapy said:

I want that.

Someone offer 50 bucks but don't go over 100.  Unless the "crack" in the bottom is just too bad!

Bring it to me in Fl and you can have three nights free at;

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/vac/d/florida-waterfront-cottage/6604764707.html

If you paid for a one way pickup rental for a few days I might do it.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Monkey Butler said:

If you paid for a one way pickup rental for a few days I might do it.

I just can't put that much out for it.

Hillbilly divesting in maritime asset, willing to accept loss.

hillbilly.png

52 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

hillbilly.png

That must be the only sailboat in Nashville.

10 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

hillbilly.png

And in the five years since he bought it for $2800 it has sat there and filled up with rain water to the point that the weight caused the trailer to buckle.

Tale u wat, jus frum lewkin at duh pitchur I giff u diddly. 

9 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Tale u wat, jus frum lewkin at duh pitchur I giff u diddly. 

hey munk yew wanna go an look at er? i can meetcher there. i'm only about 500 mals from mcminnville

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/40-motorsailer/6623404667.html

Stumpy, a steel Nicholson design, with a bimini designed not to rot on the wet coast. Maybe the mast telescopes up, like a pocket fisherman.

00P0P_h34Jxr4AdWV_1200x900.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, Norse Horse said:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/40-motorsailer/6623404667.html

Stumpy, a steel Nicholson design, with a bimini designed not to rot on the wet coast. Maybe the mast telescopes up, like a pocket fisherman.

00P0P_h34Jxr4AdWV_1200x900.jpg

First thought was this was a prison hulk:

HMS+York+hulk.jpg

Second thought was that if this was a transforming mast, there are better options:

- Stumbling

$_20.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bairnsdale/sail-boats/yacht-30-ft-unfinished-project-swap-/1185672854

Interesting to note that photographer was too frightened to even wind down window of his vehicle, let alone get out to photograph this thing.

Will "swap for something of interest".

A pet rock , perhaps?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dorydude said:

$_20.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bairnsdale/sail-boats/yacht-30-ft-unfinished-project-swap-/1185672854

Interesting to note that photographer was too frightened to even wind down window of his vehicle, let alone get out to photograph this thing.

A pet rock , perhaps?

"Unfinished project all of the hard work has been done..."

The hard work of fucking it up?

Seriously, that isn't your ordinary botched project.

I would be ashamed to be seen taking that to the dump.

That price needs to be reduced by an order of magnitude.

At least.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

The boat may be sound, but I wouldn't describe it as 'large. The trailer looks ok, the photos woeful, and price optimistic... https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberra-city/sail-boats/large-sailing-boat-delivery-available-/1188117434

Large Sailing Boat (delivery available)

That boat with a reverse bow and swept spreaders and centerboard looks like it will kick some serious ass with a little cleanup and plane in 8 knots

On 6/27/2018 at 10:43 PM, dorydude said:

$_20.JPG

A pet rock , perhaps?

"Sometimes when a Luger and a Bayliner love each other very much...."

• Like 4

Okay, it's not a sailboat, or sail related, but the thread's been sort of slow so I present this:

Antique "Lee's of Miami" Fighting Chair - $700 (Clinton) 

00N0N_6Yn2mXHENf0_600x450.jpg

https://worcester.craigslist.org/bpo/d/antique-lees-of-miami/6629690022.html

This is a Antique "Lee's of Miami" Fighting Chair. It's in nice shape for its age with no damage to speak of but lots of wear. The pictures describe it better than I can. I only know that its "Lee's of Miami" because it says it on the rod holder.

download.jpg.5da7da253546d23bfa6c862b81692418.jpg

Dunno... IIRC, Sterling Hayden wrote that Wanderer had a morris chair (screwed down ?) next to the helm.  With carved "cherubs."  Maybe something like this:

29773541_1_l.jpg

On 4/21/2018 at 5:42 PM, Sail4beer said:

This one is interesting.  Is there anyone here from the area where it was listed that might know the boat?  Based on the bottom paint she ended up bow heavy when the cabin was added.

I love Sharpies.

I remember it at Tuckerton Seaport Museum when it was in better shape. I had a Norwalk Island Sharpie by Bruce Kirby. Nice design

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I remember it at Tuckerton Seaport Museum when it was in better shape. I had a Norwalk Island Sharpie by Bruce Kirby. Nice design

Does the museum still exist where I might find info?  That boat is straight out of Chappel's books.  38' was the generec length for a working Sharpie as documented in American Small Sailing Craft.  Just at a glance the hull may predate 1900 with the cabin added in the 20's or 30's..

More photos of the construction details tell the full story.

Bruce Kirby did some cool boats as did Phill Bolger.  It might be just historic enough to justify saving (its being in a museum may or may not add to verify).  I would like to everything possible.  

42 minutes ago, Little Wood Boays said:

Does the museum still exist where I might find info?  That boat is straight out of Chappel's books.  38' was the generec length for a working Sharpie as documented in American Small Sailing Craft.  Just at a glance the hull may predate 1900 with the cabin added in the 20's or 30's..

More photos of the construction details tell the full story.

Bruce Kirby did some cool boats as did Phill Bolger.  It might be just historic enough to justify saving (its being in a museum may or may not add to verify).  I would like to everything possible.  

If it is a true and proper working Sharpie there will be a third mast step at the forward end of the centerboard trunk.

From what I see in the photo I would love to save that boat.  Drift fish in 6" of water on a boat that sails well if one follows the rules of balance.

12 minutes ago, Little Wood Boays said:

From what I see in the photo I would love to save that boat.  Drift fish in 6" of water on a boat that sails well if one follows the rules of balance.

I see the attraction of the design ... but that boat looks dead.  You'd be building a replica, even if you did it Leo Samspon Goolden-style by starting with the existing boat and replacing every single piece of timber

On 6/28/2018 at 2:43 PM, dorydude said:

$_20.JPG

A pet rock , perhaps?

The really scary thing is, that ad now says 'SOLD'.

Got friends in Paynesville near Bairnsdale. I'm sure that if that 'thing' ever floats, I'll hear about it.

FKT

27 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Got friends in Paynesville near Bairnsdale. I'm sure that if that 'thing' ever floats, I'll hear about it.

If it floats ... any bets on which way up it would float?

• Like 1

You can contact them about the boat. It was built in the early 1960’samd cruised by a family before it was donated to the Seaport. I remember it there a while backnand then they sold it to this person who did nothing...

Two Legs is right. Just a pattern boat if you have the plans. A beautiful pattern boat!

ABF97F93-27A3-4C0F-B785-7CACD4C595CB.jpeg