blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

34 minutes ago, RedRyder said:

I had my first sailing experience in something not dissimilar to that. It was an old concrete mixing trough that had been re-purposed by a couple of 12-ish year old brothers. Sapling mast and bed sheet sail. It was waterproofed by the dried concrete - an early ferro boat.

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I had my first sailing experience in something not dissimilar to that. It was an old concrete mixing trough that had been re-purposed by a couple of 12-ish year old brothers. Sapling mast and bed sheet sail. It was waterproofed by the dried concrete - an early ferro boat.

This one has flotation compartments and collision bulkheads.  It also has two stout handles on the transom, which determine its resale value.   

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Plus chines, so it must be fast ;)

14 minutes ago, toddster said:

I'm guessing they've moved up to "Ginger."

Back in the day, Ginger was something. But Ginger and Mary Ann didn't age the same:

1C4348071-tdy-121018-gilligans-island-co

1C4348072-tdy-121018-gilligans-island-co

Of course, it seems that the boat in question seems to be named Mary Ann but aged a bit more like Ginger...

6 hours ago, TQA said:

No mast hole

No rowlocks

No outboard pad

No sculling notch [] scraping the barrel]

So propulsion by ?

Have you never punted?

9 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Have you never punted?

Yes on the fourth down.

Not sure if it is a viable propulsion system though.

On 7/3/2018 at 4:49 PM, Pipe Dream said:

You know how in real estate sales, there are companies that will "stage" a vacant house, i.e. bring in some furniture and accessories to make it look nice? Well, when you see so many boats like this one that have that je ne sais quoi look about them, I wonder if there are companies that will provide that look for you, the seller of your dream boat.

2 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Punting works very nicely for flat bottom boats in shallow water, quite different from sculling though.

punting-by-Trinity.jpg

On 7/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, TQA said:

No mast hole

No rowlocks

No outboard pad

No sculling notch [] scraping the barrel]

So propulsion by ?

I think that's what the handles are for. You drag it around. I'm not sure why you do, which may be why it's for sale.

First time I've seen grass growing inside a boat.

Maxx - isn't this one of Plavsic's Ariel 48's? If so it's more like 30 years old than 15. Did any of them get finished?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/boa/d/50-sailboat-racing-hull/6637636097.html

On 7/8/2018 at 9:55 PM, SloopJonB said:

Maxx - isn't this one of Plavsic's Ariel 48's? If so it's more like 30 years old than 15. Did any of them get finished?

Sorta looks like that SJB. But Vlad wasn't a naval architect; just a architect that raced, sailed and loved boats. I thought they did two of them with his partner Ghengis. I always wondered what happened to those boats. I see Vlad's, son - Zack, all the time as Kanata is just down the dock from  me at the club moorage.

Looks like he studied thousands of buckets.

But now that I've mocked a bit, I have to point out this pic:

00T0T_eqHzJgfnVrZ_1200x900.jpg

He made a ridiculous boat and played with it. Lots of them never seem to get to that last part.

So it might also be a candidate for Admiration by the Society. I admire the attention to detail in bucket handle orientation.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:55 AM, SloopJonB said:

Is that a center cockpit racing boat????

found this gem today   https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/d/firefly-26-trimaran-easy/6639991965.html

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Is that a center cockpit racing boat????

If it actually is an Ariel 48 hull it wasn't.

Looks like they wanted some light in the lazarette.

Engineless Ferrosprout Contraption in the Middle of Nowhere

Sadly, no pics. It actually doesn't sound like a bad one, for a person who wants such a thing. It seems the one such person now doesn't want it.

I just wonder how it got there and how aggravated the lock tenders must have been. It's many miles in a canal from either coast and we dump our big lake into those canals, so it's generally upstream.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Sadly, no pics. It actually doesn't sound like a bad one, for a person who wants such a thing. It seems the one such person now doesn't want it.

I just wonder how it got there and how aggravated the lock tenders must have been. It's many miles in a canal from either coast and we dump our big lake into those canals, so it's generally upstream.

Perhaps it went upriver to spawn.

• Like 1

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/73940

"Waiver of liability: Since this boat has been build with the intent of non-commercial, personal use by an amateur welder/builder, the purchaser must sign a waiver of liability absolving the builder of any punitive or fiscal damages resulting in any failure as a result of construction quality or techniques used."

20 years to get a hull & deck 90% completed?

Should have gone to BS - woulda had it done in a week.

Something so sad about spending 20 years and $52,000 to get a part finished rusting pile of steel plate that requires a disclaimer.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:48 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Moorehaven is a nice little place. I can see a cruiser settling in there to do some major work..... and the Inga is a nice boat (if you're into crab crushers). But something about this is just wrong.... the price for starters...... putting Dunes Dux into a 1930s design shows a seriously stupid set of priorities IMHO wonder how much more he screwed up ( and lacks the technical savvy to post a photo of)

FB- Doug

21 hours ago, monsoon said:

"Waiver of liability: Since this boat has been build with the intent of non-commercial, personal use by an amateur welder/builder, the purchaser must sign a waiver of liability absolving the builder of any punitive or fiscal damages resulting in any failure as a result of construction quality or techniques used."

Bloody hell, I can buy 2 locally that are priced at less than that, are finished and in the water already.

Typical amateur - thinks the amount he's spent to date has any relationship to current worth. He'll be really lucky to get $5K for that regardless of what's included because the cost of finishing it means that, as it is, it has negative worth.

FKT

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Moorehaven is a nice little place. I can see a cruiser settling in there to do some major work..... and the Inga is a nice boat (if you're into crab crushers). But something about this is just wrong.... the price for starters...... putting Dunes Dux into a 1930s design shows a seriously stupid set of priorities IMHO wonder how much more he screwed up ( and lacks the technical savvy to post a photo of)

FB- Doug

He may realize any photos could only hurt his chances of selling.

Moore Haven is a good yard and cheap but lots of representatives of the Zombie fleet...

18 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Bloody hell, I can buy 2 locally that are priced at less than that, are finished and in the water already.

Typical amateur - thinks the amount he's spent to date has any relationship to current worth. He'll be really lucky to get $5K for that regardless of what's included because the cost of finishing it means that, as it is, it has negative worth.

FKT

Looks like the steel boat being built on you tube. 

So this is not an ad to sell a boat, and the price is zero, but it is mockworthy nonetheless: cook, clean and bar tend for free! Hey, at least he didn't mention sexual favors...

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/d/free-sailing-trip-in-the/6642350559.html

Free Sailing Trip In The British Virgin Islands (British Virgin Islands)

00Y0Y_kGjF8oSm4ow_600x450.jpg

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Lagoon
model name / number: Catamaran
size / dimensions: 45ft

I am looking for someone to assist me with planning and running a 10 day sailing trip in the British Virgin Islands. I will be skippering a 45ft catamaran and need someone to cook, clean and bartend for the 10 passengers aboard. There will be more playtime than worktime on this trip...I just need a reliable, responsible person to help out. They will be responsible for airfare to the island and all other costs are covered related to boat and food.

Make your own way down here and be crew and a galley slave for a dozen people for 10 days for free.

What a deal on a cheap vacation!

On 7/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, TQA said:

Something so sad about spending 20 years and $52,000 to get a part finished rusting pile of steel plate that requires a disclaimer.

I watched a gentleman in Port Tampa spend nearly 20 years building a steel "yacht".   As it progressed, I saw that it was less and less a marine architect driven design and more of a first hack.   It was never finished.   Progress stopped and for about two years nothing happened on it.   Now, for the past three or four years, I think his son has been hacking it up and sending the remains off to recycling.   This past summer, the last of it was removed from the lot and all the support storage i.e. containers have been removed.

Kind of sad to see the progress and decline.

I will work on a vid to put in Youtube to show the progression.

- Stumbling

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I watched a gentleman in Port Tampa spend nearly 20 years building a steel "yacht".   As it progressed, I saw that it was less and less a marine architect driven design and more of a first hack.   It was never finished.   Progress stopped and for about two years nothing happened on it.   Now, for the past three or four years, I think his son has been hacking it up and sending the remains off to recycling.   This past summer, the last of it was removed from the lot and all the support storage i.e. containers have been removed.

Kind of sad to see the progress and decline.

I will work on a vid to put in Youtube to show the progression.

- Stumbling

What price dreams?

5 hours ago, woahboy said:

Looks like the steel boat being built on you tube. 

At least this one was being built to a design that's known to float and there are a lot of examples out there actually sailing. I think of them as more motor-sailer than a real sailboat but they do work well.

The 'Emerald Steel' people have covered more miles in theirs than 95% of sailors have in much faster & more weatherly boats.

That YouTube fuckwit - I still think it's an elaborate long-running joke at the expense of his viewers. So I don't.

FKT

On 7/11/2018 at 9:52 PM, monsoon said:

Just so there is no misunderstanding:

"NOTE: The term "new" used above means that the referenced items, though purchased over a span of approximately 20 years have never been mounted on a boat nor used on a boat. Most item are still in original packaging where appropriate and are in "like new" condition."

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

"Pay me $7500 and I'll deliver it - I promise"

Yeah, that's a good one. Plus it sounds like the boat is being brought to Colorado regardless. This guy sales skills are steak knife winning:

For Sale Through Connections From a Professional Marine Contractor on the East Coast
Delivered straight from the J-29 Class Racing Circuit of NYC to Any Lake in Colorado (Basic Functional Dual Axle Trailer Also Available For Additional $3500)

$7250 Refundable Deposit Holds the Boat Until it is Delivered - Then you decide if you want to complete the purchase or not once you get on the boat

IF I DON'T SELL IT AT THIS PRICE THIS WEEK, BEFORE I GET IT BACK TO COLORADO, THEN I'M GOING TO REFRESH THE TEAK WITH 12 COATS OF VARNISH AND AWLGRIP THE TOPSIDES/DECK AND PRICE WILL GO UP TO $24,000.

Very Well Maintained Vessel with no structural issues or soft spots. 100% Ready to Sail!!

Go Do Your Homework and then Give me a Call

On 7/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, lasal said:

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/29-ready-to-race-phrfthis/6643211267.html

I'm potentially in the market for another trailerable boat, so I'm checking locally. This J-29 ad is so screwy.

- I'll start with this: "For Sale Through Connections From a Professional Marine Contractor on the East Coast"

It goes on.

That boat sold on eBay last eeek for less than 5k.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Schnappi said:

That boat sold on eBay last eeek for less than 5k.

That's funny!

I think he might have misjudged the Colorado market. It's worth the same 5k here, including the trailer and twelve fresh coats of varnish.

26 minutes ago, lasal said:

That's funny!

I think he might have misjudged the Colorado market. It's worth the same 5k here, including the trailer and twelve fresh coats of varnish.

Not sure how funny it is when someone pretends to sell a boat they actually don't own. Using the same pictures and description as the ebay ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-J-Boats-J29-/283022196016?hash=item41e56ffd30%3Ag%3AZkkAAOSwPN9bDr-o&nma=true&si=R%2BVObbMoefc8J4f2uIdFUfg5Zh4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Poor attempt at scamming and pathetic, yes. 

11 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Not sure how funny it is when someone pretends to sell a boat they actually don't own. Using the same pictures and description as the ebay ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-J-Boats-J29-/283022196016?hash=item41e56ffd30%3Ag%3AZkkAAOSwPN9bDr-o&nma=true&si=R%2BVObbMoefc8J4f2uIdFUfg5Zh4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Poor attempt at scamming and pathetic, yes. 

It's not just funny, is ROFL level. The seller admonishes his potential customers to "do [their] homework and give [him] a call." Schnappi gets an A+ on that assignment.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, lasal said:

Yeah, that's a good one. Plus it sounds like the boat is being brought to Colorado regardless. This guy sales skills are steak knife winning:

For Sale Through Connections From a Professional Marine Contractor on the East Coast
Delivered straight from the J-29 Class Racing Circuit of NYC to Any Lake in Colorado (Basic Functional Dual Axle Trailer Also Available For Additional $3500)

$7250 Refundable Deposit Holds the Boat Until it is Delivered - Then you decide if you want to complete the purchase or not once you get on the boat

IF I DON'T SELL IT AT THIS PRICE THIS WEEK, BEFORE I GET IT BACK TO COLORADO, THEN I'M GOING TO REFRESH THE TEAK WITH 12 COATS OF VARNISH AND AWLGRIP THE TOPSIDES/DECK AND PRICE WILL GO UP TO $24,000.

Very Well Maintained Vessel with no structural issues or soft spots. 100% Ready to Sail!!

Go Do Your Homework and then Give me a Call

Have him put a couple of pounds lbs of gold in the bilge and I might consider his price

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Looks like they didn't know that the main's luff rope/bolt rope is supposed to go into the mast groove. Understandable. 

Maybe he’s going for the blooper look