• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueBoy

2013 Sydney to Hobart

3,078 posts in this topic

Good to see 7 boats in the lead group. should be an exciting couple of days.

Wild Thing will not be leading for long been 2-3 knots slower than the fleet for the last hour. Beau Geste fastest boat in the fleet for the last 45 minutes, it may make some gains now. Wild Thing could lose3-4 places in the next 3-4 hours..?

Yeah, W.T. sailing in a little less pressure on the inside. Still a long way to go and 7 big quick boats all within 3 n.m. of D.T.G. This race will be a beauty!

Will be interesting as they get into the stronger breeze just off Jervis Bay.

Wild Thing will not be leading for long been 2-3 knots slower than the fleet for the last hour. Beau Geste fastest boat in the fleet for the last 45 minutes, it may make some gains now. Wild Thing could lose3-4 places in the next 3-4 hours..?

Try 20-30minutes!

WO back in the lead, with BG only 0.6, and Rags 0.8 behind WT and gaining fast! Great racing.

looks like BG is still the fastest boat (15.7kn)with Giacomo 2nd fastest (15.4kn). BG sailing up to 10 degrees higher than WO. Headed back to layline, or just a hotter angle?

Inshore boats struggling for speed, but who knows what the night will bring.

Loyal is a bit off the pace. Giacomo going like a rocket ship.

Loving the closeness of this years race. BG is badass, not much to not like about this boat will be interesting to see how it will go when it gets heavy and forward, same goes with Giocomo, both are my picks on the tab with pretty good odds. Any vid updates Clean?

What really happened at the first mark?

The non sailing news is claiming that the crews got over excited and missed the correct mark. Standing on South Head a few hours ago it looked like Loyal was reeling Wild Oats in approaching the turning mark at Sydney Heads. Wild Oats was the leeward boat and smeeded to be taking Loyal up... before ducking back for the mark just beating Beau Geste to be first out of the heads.

Thoughts?

The non sailing news is claiming that the crews got over excited and missed the correct mark. Standing on South Head a few hours ago it looked like Loyal was reeling Wild Oats in approaching the turning mark at Sydney Heads. Wild Oats was the leeward boat and smeeded to be taking Loyal up... before ducking back for the mark just beating Beau Geste to be first out of the heads.

Thoughts?

That's how I saw it.

Going to get real interesting as the breeze lifts. Those with the biggest sails and highest RM will show their colours.

Going to get real interesting as the breeze lifts. Those with the biggest sails and highest RM will show their colours.

Not to mention those that are too structurally light to cope with pounding the southerly swell.

So according to tracker,

its a drag race down the coast with the leaders almost at Gerringong caravan park, holiday destination of those retired without wealth or fame.

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-nsw-gerringong-caravan-parks.html

There are seven boats led by WOXI currently even or just ahead of 2012 WOXI.

Being most inshore boat and only leader West of the rhumb line seems to be no longer advantaging Wild Thing.

Perhaps the currents are a factor?

Loyal is a bit off the pace. Giacomo going like a rocket ship.

Giacomo the fastest in the fleet - 2 knots faster than WO and BG. Looks like Dicko is protecting the East and staying there.

When I log onto the tracker all I get is a map with the rhumb line, but no boats etc....WTF!

When I log onto the tracker all I get is a map with the rhumb line, but no boats etc....WTF!

working just fine for me.

working just fine for me.

Tick all the boxes in the legend (boat index) on the left - it's called 'Show All'.

Thoughts?

That's how I saw it.

Coxon got smeeded for mine.

Here comes the Black Beast, into 2nd position. Was doing nearly 17 Knots for a stage and passed Rags and BG, want to see her up around Wild Oats causing havock, need a bit more wind and it might be coming with the rain front? Beau Geste could come into it's own, Ricko was spot on, all boats will have their moments. Wild Thing going out the back door.

Loyal must have changed gears. She's back on the pace.

Thoughts?

WOXI was clear ahead and missed the mark. Loyal followed. WOXI Eased sails and turned about 90 degrees to go get it. Shitty video of it coming after I get it all off the card. That's how i saw it anyway.

Anyone found a link to the 7 coverage archived?

Giacomo slowed and headed inshore...I'm not gonna sleep for the next couple of days!!!

Off watch what an awesome start to be in it was fantastic!

Good to hear.

Any gossip? Any near misses?

Thoughts?

WOXI was clear ahead and missed the mark. Loyal followed. WOXI Eased sails and turned about 90 degrees to go get it. Shitty video of it coming after I get it all off the card. That's how i saw it anyway.

No replay on Aussi telly tonight (typical). No link posted so far on yahoo7 (typical). And with the greatest honor and respect to Mr Clean... Hypothetically if WOXI was not clear ahead at the three boat lengths does she have rights to take Loyal above the proper course to the mark at the heads? In fact, is there a three boat length rule at a mark like that? That's one bloody big three boat lengths!!! Also speaking hypothetically, if Loyal was inside boat with an overlap... would she have been justified in popping a protest flag?

Curious!?

Just loading Dave Chapman's explanation of why Dodo (early TP52) retired. That makes two so far.

Protest withdrawn. Oats had em on toast and took them up. Ricko's done a lot of match racing in the past.

Yep, thanks just found them, Its still showing two WOXI though:)

One is the race record run (WOXI 2012), while the other is current (WOXI) I believe. Pls correct me if I'm wrong

Mike Bensczik (winner of the infamous '98 race) on his new Ker 40 Midnight Rambler talks about keeping core crew and how he sees his chances for the race.

Just found this on Boat TV... coverage not great... and music is a little dramatic.

Geoff from Boatsontv was on the same boat we were. Never got in particularly good positions.

Loyal slowly making a move for the line honours lead, I suspect the Easterly reaching conditions are assisting her however as it swings behind her and Oats it will be interesting to see how all the boats perform with the wind behind them? Wild Thing going ashore for a picnic? I think Wharro gambles as he just doesn't have the speed.

Mike Bensczik (winner of the infamous '98 race) on his new Ker 40 Midnight Rambler talks about keeping core crew and how he sees his chances for the race.

Video set to private on this one.

Some good vids of friendly faces so far :) Nice work.

nice work boats on tv. best footage I've seen.

Epic day out on the start boat. Clean it was great to see you although briefly.

The harbour certainly put on a show today. I hope you all enjoyed what you got to see. It's always a big day on one of the start boats volunteering once again. We are exhausted but loved every moment. We truly do have an awesome sport. When we were able to up anchor and chase the fleet it was great fun!!!

We were seeing a good 20-23 knots as soon as we were around South Head and the boats looked awesome.

Wild Thing doing 3 knots at 8.55pm and have now headed offshore again, aweful decision and it will cost them dearly. Loyal inching closer...

Wild Thing doing 3 knots at 8.55pm and have now headed offshore again, aweful decision and it will cost them dearly. Loyal inching closer...

Leaders heading East of rhumbline. Perhaps Dicko should have stayed out there instead of heading inshore. Giacomo back on top on IRC. Loyal looks to be leading and going fast.Rags100 going West and dying.

Tracker not working because the dorks never heard of an iPad.... Faking real.

The first mark looked to me like WOX took Loyal up in a text-book move to be able to bear away and break overlap before the 3BL zone.

Loyal made the mistake of furling their gennaker too early and had to run square under headsail to get back down to the mark.

wild thing seems to have problems.....dangit...

BOM rain radar shows that they went under a nice rain cloud. Probably killed the breeze.

IDR402.gif?20131226102030

I cant get the bastard to work on the laptop either....anyone got any solutions?

blank map with rhumb line only....no boats and "show all" button isnt working either

so has anyone got the complete URL to a operational tracker showing all boats

WOXI and Loyal down to 8 knots. Giacomo doing 9.9 and 3rd on line.BG and Black Jack doing low 5s.

Epic day out on the start boat. Clean it was great to see you although briefly.

The harbour certainly put on a show today. I hope you all enjoyed what you got to see. It's always a big day on one of the start boats volunteering once again. We are exhausted but loved every moment. We truly do have an awesome sport. When we were able to up anchor and chase the fleet it was great fun!!!

We were seeing a good 20-23 knots as soon as we were around South Head and the boats looked awesome.

You scored a 5 for your jump off the back :)

Rags100 on the rhumbline and down to 1.6 knots. Giacomo still has highest speed.

Loyal now leading. The East is paying at the moment, although Rags100 has found some breeze

I am having the same problem as Giddy Up, and I'm on a PC. There is no way to bring up the whole fleet, some times I can get a small selection of boats, most times just a blank map with a rhumb line. There seems to be no place to complain about this. grrrr

The lottery has begun, anything could happen tonight by the looks. Lets hope Stan Honey can keep Loyal moving in the light? Parking up in the night can create plenty of tension, will Oats make a jump tonight?

Faceboat Sailors with Disabilities is pulling a blinder heading east and doing the buffalo girls routine. Fastest boat in the fleet at 11 knots...

The first mark looked to me like WOX took Loyal up in a text-book move to be able to bear away and break overlap before the 3BL zone.

Loyal made the mistake of furling their gennaker too early and had to run square under headsail to get back down to the mark.

Makes sense and matches what I saw from South Head. Still, you got to have balls to do that in a multimillion dollar, hundred footer, moving at 20 knots, in front of a million spectators, less than a nautical mile from the start of a 624 nautical mile race.

Rags is transmitting again. At 2200 AIS has it East of Ulladulla, course 260, speed 11.7k, wind 10k from 035

Nothing near it is transmitting

They are looking for night breeze

As someone who is currently just south of sydney the TV coverage is exactly what was expected (crap with tennis? comentators that may have steped on to a boat once or twice) and it being the wild oats show due to there sponsorship of the boats.

Errrr, Rob Brown was on the winning team in the '79 Fastnet/Admiral's Cup, won a bunch of "world" 18 Foot Skiff titles, and was part of the Australia II crew in the '83 America's Cup challenge.

He ain't no tennis player.

Sorry Chris, he ain't no yachting commentator either. He was embarrassing to watch/listen to; RB had no fucking idea what he was babbling about. I never thought I would say this but I would rather listen to Mundle than that shite we heard today; it was a disgrace. My 14 year old son called it better from the couch here in Melbourne; at least he knew which boats he was looking at!

I'm not saying he got everything righ (far from it) but I wonder if commentating is just one hell of a lot harder than we give credit for. I don't watch much sport but when I did watch F1 like most people I used to get pissed off at Murray Walker. I still get pissed off at most cycling coverage, and I agree that RB did call a lot of stuff wrong. I don't watch much of Clean's stuff but he cops a lot of flak for it.

When people cop so much criticism, maybe it's evidence that it's harder to call in real life than it is from the couch???

Its not hard, you just have to do hours and hours of research, have a good line of patter and understand what will be interesting for the audience. Brown was lazy as he usually is, just talking about his mates and not having done the hard work. Ch 7 have no interest in putting on a good coverage, its a very low priority for them, they know their rating numbers will be the same regardless of what they put on.

Rags is transmitting again. At 2200 AIS has it East of Ulladulla, course 260, speed 11.7k, wind 10k from 035

Nothing near it is transmitting

They are looking for night breeze

Rags is going well in there, although Wild Thing is a bit behind but the same distance E of the rhumbline, and she's got the breeze as well.

Here's the big bear away to the mark. if it was a planned move, it sure was a hell of a lot of extra distance. Screwed Loyal but let BG get right up on WOXI...

Forget the night breeze bit. They are just looking for hot angles. Rags has gybed and now shows 9k at 184

By the way Chris I have over 15 years of commentating, I work very hard to do it well and people seem to really enjoy it.

By the way Chris I have over 15 years of commentating, I work very hard to do it well and people seem to really enjoy it.

It's not hard, but it sure ain't easy. 90 minutes isn't too bad though; wish I had even the opportunity to check it out. Anyone find a link yet?

Pre-start:

first reach:

Love it... great commentary by the way.

"... as soon as the wind drops a little bit, Loyal that, that big ass gets in the water..."

Thoughts?

From what I saw... it looked like a tactical decision by WO to luff up Loyal, and get out of the heads first? cause if they didn't they would have been 2nd for sure.

The inshore boats are doing OK at the moment (BG and Rags are going well), but if that Southerly comes through, I reckon you don't want to be on the rhumbline, and easterly boats are going to get a much better angle.

Giacomo and Loyal are heading more South than the others, and the tracker seems to have lost BG.

Here's the big bear away to the mark. if it was a planned move, it sure was a hell of a lot of extra distance. Screwed Loyal but let BG get right up on WOXI...

Clean, you may not have picked it up, but there's some weird obsession down here with 'first out the heads'. There's probably even serious money on it.

I've never understood it, but my bet is Richards was focused on that and either forgot to keep an eye on that pesky 80 footer in the heat of the moment, or didn't care.

As there was three starting lines, there was also three different turning marks? The boats far right certainly were not going for the same mark down.

WOXI has been steering a course of 240 -250 for the last half hour(!!???) Headed West?

Meanwhile Loyal and Giacomo are headed South.

Just had a quick chat with WOXI navigator Tom Addis, who asked if we could call back in the morning. Plenty of stress aboard with 'very little wind out here' we're going to call Tom around 6 AM on our way to our flight, and we'll upload from the airport.

Clean, you may not have picked it up, but there's some weird obsession down here with 'first out the heads'. There's probably even serious money on it.

I've never understood it, but my bet is Richards was focused on that and either forgot to keep an eye on that pesky 80 footer in the heat of the moment, or didn't care.

Thanks for that explanation duncan; definitely not something anyone on our boat expected but I'll ask Addis first thing when I speak to him in the morning anyway.

No jumping from a start boat! Was not me.

It was a different Mel.

As there was three starting lines, there was also three different turning marks? The boats far right certainly were not going for the same mark down.

I think there were two. It seemed to me the Clippers rounded the same mark as the "small" boats.

Just had a quick chat with WOXI navigator Tom Addis, who asked if we could call back in the morning. Plenty of stress aboard with 'very little wind out here' we're going to call Tom around 6 AM on our way to our flight, and we'll upload from the airport.

He probably had Bob on hold, you know old people can't sleep so may as well ring the boat all night to see whats happening with his millions of dollars

Looks like east is going to pay off tonight. Massive gains for the boats that are further that way.

Yep, if a Southerly comes through they will gain heaps. Perhaps WOXI and BG are betting on a SW change. Black Jack is headed for NZ .

Looks like east is going to pay off tonight. Massive gains for the boats that are further that way.

That clearly seems to be Loyal^s and Giacomo's thinking, and for the time being it's paying off.

Thanks for coming down... definitely brought the coverage to life in your limited time here. Perhaps your visit might even inspire the CYCA and Channel Seven to run a highlights package!!! They might even leave the stream up so we can watch it again!! You could even have inspired them to design a better tracking program that gives wind strength and direction, East Aussi current, BOM Radar. My God, who knows where this might lead... a deal with Virtual Regatta so we can play along... a half descent app... heaven forbid... maybe even a media crew member on the main contenders just like the VOLVO's... OK so now I'm getting a little carried away.

I posted it before, but there's a big EAC eddy some are probably trying to get east of ..

2013122003.gif

That looks good for Loyal and Giacomo.