Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zillafreak

The Wind Gods movie AC33

I hope they capture the real essence of the event and give us 115 minutes of court cases and 5 minutes of sailing.

I think it comes on at 9pm (not idea if that's EST) on PBS May 2nd. Could be wrong though.

Good find - how did you come up with it ?

Sheer brilliance on my part. Absolute dedication to searching out the tiniest details of sailing from all aspects, no matter how trivial. That and I saw it on SW ;)

Sheer brilliance on my part. Absolute dedication to searching out the tiniest details of sailing from all aspects, no matter how trivial. That and I saw it on SW ;)

Good work lad - we'd be lost without you.

Looks like RG is doing a lot of hoping in his review - is he EB's buddy ?

Can't see the link due to an over zealous work netnanny, but is it the same as this http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=130740&page=2#entry4120748 from 3 days ago?

The video trailer is the same, here is the RG commentary;

The blurb released with the trailer describes it as:

'Awe-inspiring boats that reflect the unlimited reach of human ingenuity, breathtaking views, action, tension, excitement, consummate skill, the pursuit of lifelong dreams and the tempestuous romance between sailors and the sea, set against a soaring musical score: this is The Wind God's, the story of the 33rd America's Cup race.

'In a quest to bring the oldest trophy in International Sports back to America, Oracle Corporation's Larry Ellison organizes an elite team to sail USA-17, the most technologically advanced sailboat ever built, in a challenge against the defending Swiss team Alinghi, which has held the cup for seven years.

'The film documents the effort from start to finish, with intimate portraits of the competitors, fascinating insights into the cup's history, and sweeping cinematography of the race. But more than that, The Wind Gods is a tribute to the adventurous spirit that leads men to test their limits, by challenging the elements, the sea, and fate.

'Directed by Peabody-award winner Fritz Mitchell and produced by Skydance Productions, the orchestral score by composer Pinar Toprak received the International Film Music Critics Association Award for Best Documentary Score in 2011.

From what can be seen on the trailer, the footage is spectacular and excepted comments underscore the tension of the time.

For those who had insight behind the scenes it will be interesting as to whether the director and producer stay with reality, and resist the temptation to re-write history.

But regardless, this is a must see for all sailing fans - both those who followed the saga through its twists and turns, and for those whose eyes glazed over and changed channel on the appearance of every new episode of America's Cup Legal.

Those who follow the Cup understand the event seems to only undergo dramatic change after a cataclysmic event, be it War, Depression or Court action.

The great strength of the America's Cup, is to be able to quickly re-invent itself, but its greatest weakness is recourse to the US legal system in the case of serious dispute. To be able to understand the present and future of the America's Cup one has to be able to understand its genesis and past, and hopefully the 2007-2010 phase of the Cup is presented for accuracy rather than dramatic effect. In themselves the events are simple and dramatic, and need little embellishment.

Hopefully, in The Wind Gods, the characters have been left to tell their tales, free of a pre-determined dramatic spin. From the clips in the preview, it seems that has been the case.

The website for the movie can be viewed at www.thewindgodsmovie.com the movie will be available on DVD for $20.00 for those who want a personal copy.

Expect more in this genre, from other production teams, before the 34th America's Cup.

by Richard Gladwell

Can't see the link due to an over zealous work netnanny, but is it the same as this http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=130740&page=2#entry4120748 from 3 days ago?

Yup. Never read that thread.

The video quality on the trailer looks awesome. Cant wait to see it. I've been trying to get a copy of the original AC33 but no one seems to have it.

I think it comes on at 9pm (not idea if that's EST) on PBS May 2nd. Could be wrong though.

TV Guide for Nor Cal says Sat May 18 at 3pm

When will the DVD come out?

When will the DVD come out?

Computer says .......Available Soon! http://www.thewindgodsmovie.com/.

Hope they do a Blu-ray version too. (3D probably a bit too much to ask for)

From here: http://www.thewindgodsmovie.com/#!timeline/c1vw1

THE TIMELINE

Aboard multi-hulled masterpieces of design and engineering, the teams of the 33rd race for the America’s Cup challenged the will of the wind gods like never before, by testing the limits of human ingenuity and competitive spirit.

THE PLANNING

The idea was simple in concept, complex in application: build a hard-wing sail that would extend 23 stories into the air. Australia had used a winged keel to capture the cup in 1993, but this was to be a much bolder stroke of technological genius. Eventually, the wing—the largest ever built – was completed, and USA-17 was ready to set sail. Larry Ellison assembled a team of the finest sailors in the world, all ready for the greatest challenge, and thrill, a seaman can experience: a race for The America’s Cup.

The idea was simple in concept, complex in application: build a hard-wing sail that would extend 23 stories into the air. Australia had used a winged keel to capture the cup in 1993, but this was to be a much bolder stroke of technological genius. Eventually, the wing—the largest ever built – was completed, and USA-17 was ready to set sail. Larry Ellison assembled a team of the finest sailors in the world, all ready for the greatest challenge, and thrill, a seaman can experience: a race for The America’s Cup.

RACE ONE

The first of the best two-out-of-three races began with a bit of sailing brilliance from Jimmy Spithill, who forced Alinghi into a penalty as the two boats jockeyed for advantage at the start. However, soon thereafter USA-17 had difficulty maneuvering into starting position, and found herself several hundred meters behind Alinghi when the race got underway. Once she was on course, USA-17 surged forward with astounding power generated by the wing sail, and eventually overtook Alinghi, to win the first race by a very wide margin.

RACE TWO

Faced with the reality of USA-17’s design superiority, team Alinghi was forced to make strategic adjustments, and for a while it looked as if the new strategy would pay off. Alinghi sailed ahead to a lead of 600 meters. The crew of USA-17 made some adjustments of their own, and soon made up the lost distance to pass Alinghi on the way to the win. It was the goal Larry Ellison and Team USA had worked so hard to reach. Gracious in victory, Ellison congratulated Ernesto Bertarelli on a race well-sailed, and then took the trophy home, triumphant - and so proud - that he could return The America’s Cup to America.

Yup. Never read that thread.

The video quality on the trailer looks awesome. Cant wait to see it. I've been trying to get a copy of the original AC33 but no one seems to have it.

If you had read the other thread you would have seen this too!

http://www.redearthstudio.com/project/the-wind-gods/

i dont see this as very interesting. The two boats were so different , DogZilla was way too fast for Alinghi. Races were ''boring'' even if the 2 boats were awesome. My friend brought me the dvd of the first Alinghi try at the cup... that was an awesome story .

this , not very much sadly.

Ordered my copy today-$26 including "S& H". Can't wait to see it......

Skydance production is a company founded by Larry Ellisons son David Ellison (made the new Star Trek movie btw.)

Don´t expect any objectivity in there.

Expect this to appeal to OR fanboys only. Expect 12 copies to be sold - mostly to those who contribute to this site. A lot to be given to OR team members and their family as christmas presents one expects.

+1, looks like a schmalzy US retelling of how Larry Ellison hired some lawyers to win the America's Cup and his efforts, combined with another greedy billionaire from Switzerland, led to lots of people being unemployed for three years, and destroying many cup teams leading to the lowest entry in the LV since it was invented.

What kind of person makes a vanity movie and tags it "Wind Gods"? The combination of lack of humour and over-weening self-regard is something to behold.

Larry you can blow it out of your arse.

+1, looks like a schmalzy US retelling of how Larry Ellison hired some lawyers to win the America's Cup and his efforts, combined with another greedy billionaire from Switzerland, led to lots of people being unemployed for three years, and destroying many cup teams leading to the lowest entry in the LV since it was invented.

Sounds like a striking endorsement for the ACWS - didn't know you were such a fan.

What kind of person makes a vanity movie and tags it "Wind Gods"?

Well, there you go - perfect title. :)

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that EB did not cooperate in the movie, do any special interviews, whatever; and that the movie will describe the one-sided affair that in many ways it was after they couldn't reach agreement.

Looking forward to it, even just the sailing photography will be good.

What kind of person makes a vanity movie and tags it "Wind Gods"? The combination of lack of humour and over-weening self-regard is something to behold.

Now you've done it, gone off and spoiled Larry's whole day.

I'm sure he'll be crushed by your comment :lol:

My my so many touchy pissed off people. I just want to see the most awesome sailboats ever created for a one on one battle in the history of mankind. Not likely to ever see such monsters again. Screw the politics.

If it had been a neutral movie discussing things in a balanced manner it would have been awesome. As it is, I heard enough Oracle propaganda during the last cup cycle and the idea of watching Tom Ehman spouting shite for another second makes me feel a bit queasy.

If it had been a neutral movie discussing things in a balanced manner it would have been awesome. As it is, I heard enough Oracle propaganda during the last cup cycle and the idea of watching Tom Ehman spouting shite for another second makes me feel a bit queasy.

So I guess you've seen it already. Care to share any other insights ?

I'm going to enjoy the movie and I'm also enjoying all the pissed off posts from SA'ers who were Butarelli fanboys and are still obviously crushed by the outcome.

Keep it coming boys, its cathartic.

A few minutes of the footage was shown at some events in 2010 (e.g. City Hall) It was quite impressive. As 2010 wore on into 2011 folks were asked what had happened to the film, and the answer was that EB was not releasing the rights to certain AC owned filmed footage. Who knows what happened next.

I'm going to enjoy the movie and I'm also enjoying all the pissed off posts from SA'ers who were Butarelli fanboys and are still obviously crushed by the outcome.

Pretty entertaining - this movie hasn't even arrived yet and is getting better all the time with all the objective reviews.

Maybe some great footage to come! But can only be an LE wank feast.

Chill pill, watch the clip!

Seems clear that "Wind Gods" refers to the luck factor that humbles all sailors from time to time.

I've prayed to the "Wind Gods" many times myself, haven't you?

"To some degree in the hands of the Wind Gods."

If it had been a neutral movie discussing things in a balanced manner it would have been awesome.

Awesome, totally agree ... now who is going to pay for the production of it?

I seriously can't get over how most people on this forum don't understand that our little sailing fan club isn't big enough to fund all our dream projects. This sport mostly depends on individuals spending their own money on vanity projects without the need to see a return on their investment. Stop the high minded BS, understand the point of view of the story teller, take that into consideration... and just enjoy the FREE entertainment.

You mean Bertarelli. Fanboy, nah. I reckon Bertarelli and Ellison will find themselves cell-mates for eternity in the 4th circle of Hell. Look it up.

I reckon Bertarelli and Ellison will find themselves cell-mates for eternity in the 4th circle of Hell. Look it up.

Applauding, obviously. Also, Skydance is a poor knockoff of Robert Redford's Sundance: no class, surprise surprise

You mean Bertarelli. Fanboy, nah. I reckon Bertarelli and Ellison will find themselves cell-mates for eternity in the 4th circle of Hell. Look it up.

He got it right the first time.

I watched the short and was genuinely annoyed by the narration.

It seems rather self indulgent.

Also, I found the race commentary pretty ordinary too when compared to the feed I got here in NZ while watching it live.

That said, will undoubtedly still watch it to see if I missed anything over the course of the drama.

Or even if I have forgotten anything.

Also, I found the race commentary pretty ordinary too when compared to the feed I got here in NZ while watching it live.

That said, will undoubtedly still watch it to see if I missed anything over the course of the drama.

New Zealand must be truly amazing.

Have you only just found that out ? .. NZ Govt. needs to give GD more money so he can extend NZ promotion to reach the sleepy people :)

I've heard the NZ film industry produces only Academy Award worthy movies.

Have you only just found that out ? .. NZ Govt. needs to give GD more money so he can extend NZ promotion to reach the sleepy people :)

Hehehe, good one Terry!

Actually, I don't understand the insecurities of someone who can't read a simple statement that I enjoyed the commetary I got live in NZ more than that in this movie clip and can't resist the need to take a swipe.

The silly thing is that the commentary I watched was over the internet and not even provided by a NZ agency!

Could the timing of the movie release have anything to do with stirring up interest in AC34? Maybe Larry gives the producer the key to Lanai for a week or so?

One would be hoping that this finds it's way off a digital TV into a torrent site / download site for the masses to borrow :)

One would be hoping that this finds it's way off a digital TV into a torrent site / download site for the masses to borrow :)

Since it is a commercial venture and the DVD is easily procured for a modest investment I hope that it does not get ripped off by the Torrent People.

Hehehe, good one Terry!

Actually, I don't understand the insecurities of someone who can't read a simple statement that I enjoyed the commetary I got live in NZ more than that in this movie clip and can't resist the need to take a swipe.

The silly thing is that the commentary I watched was over the internet and not even provided by a NZ agency!

What's actually funny is the posts that this thread has drawn.

LE releases a film regarding one of the most spectacular chapters in AC history and look what is posted, and printed for that matter;

Not much gratitude or objectivity in stinky politics. A few carrying some hefty Samsonite perhaps ?

RG;

it will be interesting as to whether the director and producer stay with reality, and resist the temptation to re-write history.

and hopefully the 2007-2010 phase of the Cup is presented for accuracy rather than dramatic effect.

In themselves the events are simple and dramatic, and need little embellishment.

Hopefully, in The Wind Gods, the characters have been left to tell their tales, free of a pre-determined dramatic spin.

Dogfart post 1;

Dogfart post 2;

KingChimpanze post 1;

KingChimpanze post 2;

#1 all time Alinghi fanboy Xlot in response to dogfarts # 2 post;

Applauding, obviously. Also, Skydance is a poor knockoff of Robert Redford's Sundance: no class, surprise surprise

The film hasn't even hit the streets yet and the haters are out in full force with criticism.

Can't wait to see the reaction when it is viewed :)

I reckon Bertarelli and Ellison will find themselves cell-mates for eternity in the 4th circle of Hell. Look it up.

I think you'd find that the name Skydance is in reference to David Ellison's love of acrobatic flying. If you want to see some damn good WW I flying scenes, check out his "Flyboys".

Now there you go again, undermining the #1 Alinghi fanboys cheap underhanded shot with the facts.

Well, the ones who want to enjoy it will, the ones who don't, won't.

I just hope for some juicy bits that we have not seen before.

If they disclose the multiple attempts to shut the event down before race one, some may be surprised at the details, others not as much.

For example, Alinghi running in at the last minute stating insurance would not cover the boats in the race for some fabricated reason, and the races had to be shut down immediately :).

There were at least 3 others, but I don't recall what they were - one may have been related to BMWO measuring in, which also failed, the other related to the polymer liquid used in the anti-friction technology said to pollute the water, which was never used but subsequently determined to be cleaner than the water itself.

EB was pulling shit out of his ass right and left before the event to stop it.

If the haters think these details represent a biased opinion, they simply don't want to acknowledge the facts.

Personally I hope all gets revealed.

If they disclose the multiple attempts to shut the event down before race one, some may be surprised at the details, others not as much.

For example, Alinghi running in at the last minute stating insurance would not cover the boats in the race for some fabricated reason, and the races had to be shut down immediately :).

There were at least 3 others, but I don't recall what they were - one may have been related to BMWO measuring in, which also failed, the other related to the polymer liquid used in the anti-friction technology said to pollute the water, which was never used but subsequently determined to be cleaner than the water itself.

If the haters think these details represent a biased opinion, they simply don't want to acknowledge the facts.

And let's also remember the Race Comm mutiny. SNG...keepin' it classy on the world stage.

And let's also remember the Race Comm mutiny. SNG...keepin' it classy on the world stage.

My guess is that will obviously be included, a first ever in the AC, although it will probably be regarded as biased by some here.

The more rules arguments coverage and the more obvious the facts over who won versus who failed, the better. As the leadup anyway, which is what the start of the trailer uses for introduction, as the setup.

Because it is on PBS (the USA's nearly non-commercial Public Broadcasting System) it will be a solid hour long. If LE and EB get their mugs into the story then fine; but since LE never actually had much time for EB throughout, it's likely that the coverage will be focussed mostly on the winning boat's design, build, and eventually the races.

Somebody posted a clip back-when that came dangerously close to a hack of some very inside-Anacortes-Core-shed footage at the time we all agonized about what the heck was going on inside; I hope to see a little of what was past that door they were approaching.

^^

I know from my own extremely minor sailing adventures, the amount of effort that goes on behind the scenes before the boat hits the water for a series.

Would love to see some genuine detail of how the big boys do it for these major, cutting edge campaigns.

Tho' in truth I will happily fork out some hard earned $AU (nice exchange rate at the moment) to buy HD vision of the first 15 mins of the first race.

I'd expect one very important development to be included is the surprise of the wing.

It was hinted at here for about four months, heavily discounted by all the Alinghi posters and once revealed, stunned the naysayers - especially after they were rejoicing about the dismasting. Several active posters fishing aggressively for information for Alinghi (reminds me of a few Kiwis here) suddenly "disappeared" from the scene as soon as it was revealed.

There are a host of key developments leading up to the challenge that could make this an excellent movie.

I may or may not buy the DVD but the book pjh posted a link to, I definitely will. Here's a pretty clever review of it: http://www.sailfeed.com/americas-cup-conundrum-need-we-worship-larry-ellison

I've heard mixed reviews on the book, based on limited if any inputs from GGYC staff during the five year lead-up period prior to the win, which is a pretty critical time period all things considered.

My money is on the movie.

wonder if the kiwi contribution is acknowledged

or downplayed <_<

post-23477-0-23209400-1367387911_thumb.jpg

Because it is on PBS (the USA's nearly non-commercial Public Broadcasting System) it will be a solid hour long. If LE and EB get their mugs into the story then fine; but since LE never actually had much time for EB throughout, it's likely that the coverage will be focussed mostly on the winning boat's design, build, and eventually the races.

Depends on your definition of a "solid hour." :)

The program schedule lists it at 55:40, which is at the upper end for a PBS hourly. Some only run about 50 minutes.

Still, that's about 10 minutes longer than the typical duration of a broadcast network hourly program.

As far as the tone and content, I wouldn't expect it to touch on the more negative aspects of AC33 except perhaps in passing. This isn't Frontline.

If EB doesn't like it, he can bankroll a project with his own version of the story. But I doubt that will happen.

Just watched the trailer. Wow, DZ still sends shivers down my spine. The only other boat able to do this is BP V.

Narration and dramaturgy - as far as it is possible to assess them just watching the short trailer - are theatrical. I'm curious whether we will get some more insight into the ongoings before the race (e.g. the plea to the judge by both parties independently to postpone - even after VLC in winter was ordered). Well, probably too much detail for a heroic saga.

Anyway, the pictures will be worth it, if there's lots of previously unpublished footage. The trailer looks so. :D

Me too. I think the 2010 DoG match is well worth the documentary and the subplots were fantastic whether it be courts, race cmte, Ras al Kaima or whatever. Great story, great boats, big winner.

Just watched the trailer. Wow, DZ still sends shivers down my spine. The only other boat able to do this is BP V.

Narration and dramaturgy - as far as it is possible to assess them just watching the short trailer - are theatrical. I'm curious whether we will get some more insight into the ongoings before the race (e.g. the plea to the judge by both parties independently to postpone - even after VLC in winter was ordered). Well, probably too much detail for a heroic saga.

Anyway, the pictures will be worth it, if there's lots of previously unpublished footage. The trailer looks so. :D

The program schedule lists it at 55:40, which is at the upper end for a PBS hourly. Some only run about 50 minutes.

Still, that's about 10 minutes longer than the typical duration of a broadcast network hourly program.

As far as the tone and content, I wouldn't expect it to touch on the more negative aspects of AC33 except perhaps in passing. This isn't Frontline.

If EB doesn't like it, he can bankroll a project with his own version of the story. But I doubt that will happen.

On PBS stations you have the intro, then a break for the non-commercials ('Supporters of PBS') then a program break at the bottom of the hour (and maybe fund-raising if it is that time of year) and then the completion of the program.

So 55 mins is about right to fit into that time slot. DC had a similar program back in '86, 'Sail Wars', that followed the team during its build-up before Freo. Gave some history of losing the Cup, then the design decisions, tank testing, crew training, etc. up to their arrival in Freo for the start of the LV series. Burt Lancaster was the narrator, so using an actior for the voice-over is the standard.

All-in-all if they get some good footage and a little insider info that we did not see, then it should be worth the watch. Had the vcr ready back in the day, now the dvr will be set.

On PBS stations you have the intro, then a break for the non-commercials ('Supporters of PBS') then a program break at the bottom of the hour (and maybe fund-raising if it is that time of year) and then the completion of the program.

So 55 mins is about right to fit into that time slot. DC had a similar program back in '86, 'Sail Wars', that followed the team during its build-up before Freo. Gave some history of losing the Cup, then the design decisions, tank testing, crew training, etc. up to their arrival in Freo for the start of the LV series. Burt Lancaster was the narrator, so using an actior for the voice-over is the standard.

All-in-all if they get some good footage and a little insider info that we did not see, then it should be worth the watch. Had the vcr ready back in the day, now the dvr will be set.

I recently watched "Sail Wars" (a PBS NOVA episode) again after many, many years, and really enjoyed it :)

It's available online somewhere, I once posted a link to it. Yes, very good.

We don't need no stinkin' links.................. ;)

(thanks anyway :D some folks might)

I recently watched "Sail Wars" (a PBS NOVA episode) again after many, many years, and really enjoyed it :)

What a coincedence!

I'm not at all sure I want to subject myself to a movie that reveals all about "the tempestuous romance between sailors and the sea, set against a soaring musical score."

Christ more farking Go Team America shite,.................'finally return the Americas Cup to America' - pass the chunder bucket

I've got a tonne of respect for Conner, lost it and then won it back by beating all comers > the right way.

Christ more farking Go Team America shite,.................'finally return the Americas Cup to America' - pass the chunder bucket

I've got a tonne of respect for Conner, lost it and then won it back by beating all comers > the right way.

Maybe you can just wait for Ernie's version to come out then :)

WANTED TO BE SURE YOU ALL HAD ALL THE PBS AIR TIMES.. PST

really looking forward to this.

Wind Gods

More Airdates (hide):

Tue May 14 at 8:00PM on KCETLINK

Thu May 16 at 2:00PM on KCETLINK

Thu May 16 at 8:00PM on KCETLINK

Sat May 18 at 2:00PM on KCETLINK

Sat May 18 at 8:00PM on KCETLINK

Tue May 28 at 10:00PM on KCET-HD

Wed May 29 at 5:00AM on KCET-HD

The musical score, which won an award, can be heard on the composer's website. (Click on the "Music" tab, then on "The Wind Gods")

I really like the score. One of the problems with real-life is that we all don't have our own musical scores. :P

I hope they capture the real essence of the event and give us 115 minutes of court cases and 5 minutes of sailing.

That reminds me...I'll have to reread Cory Friedman's legal analysis.

And your boy Fay didn't try a DoG challenge?

As if there isn't the All Kiwi All The Kiwi crowd in your area, starting with Montgomery.

If RNZYS wins, can't wait to see the movie Dalton makes - Grumpy Grant Goes Yachting.

For anyone who wants to spend the money on actual sailing: http://archive.org/details/lawsonhistoryofa00thomrich

+10000000!

Download to my Kindle Fire from that link took about 20 seconds, and looks awesome.

Interesting second page, which looks like a monk drew it with the big fancy "T", and V's instead of U's...

"THIS BOOK IS PVBLISHED FOR PRIVATE DISTRIBVTION ONLY BY THOMAS W. LAWSON IN AN EDITION OF THREE THOVSAND COPIES OF WHICH THIS IS COPY NVMBER 1421 IS PRESENTED TO" (then there's a nice long classic signature).

Also, a cool inscription at the beginning, of which some parts may incite a small snicker from the youth, but for the most part inspires and maybe bring us all a bit closer as sailors.

"To Sportsmen - Manly men, men of gentle mind and simple heart, brave men, fair men; to men who say to the weak, "May I?" - and to the strong, "I will!" - to men whom sham is dishonor and truth a guiding star; to men who look upon the sea, the plain, the forest, the mountains, the rising and the setting sun, and the immutable heavens, with a deep sense of their own littleness in the great scheme of things - I dedicate this book. Thomas W. Lawson"

Thanks Rennmaus, very nice.

Read Online works nicely as well..

^^ Wow, quite a few tidbits in there I had never heard: the layup and rebuild in England, the grounding and repairs plus the extension to the stern by Butler. I knew he had work done to her, but I thought is mostly rig and small tweaks.

I never did understand why DeBlaquier (sp) cut the masts by 5', other than 'they were rotted at the base'. Seemed strange to happen on a brand new boat.

Thanks for the link, Renn!

For anyone who wants to spend the money on actual sailing: http://archive.org/details/lawsonhistoryofa00thomrich

Many thanks for that Renn. Just killed the better part of the afternoon reading the chapter penned by Lawson himself with the account of his ever-so-polite head-knocking with the NYYC about entering Independence in the defender trials as a non-NYYC boat. Fascinating stuff.

It would seem that 'Wind DOGs' has had it's premier - red carpet and all...

4cd5de74b85c11e2826f22000a9f13e9_7.jpg

26eda4f0b84b11e29b9b22000a1f96c5_7.jpg

Classy theatres in SF! Or is that just Larry's TV moved into the basement? :lol:

(cruise ship terminal right?)

http://instagram.com/oracleteamusa#

Many thanks for that Renn. Just killed the better part of the afternoon reading the chapter penned by Lawson himself with the account of his ever-so-polite head-knocking with the NYYC about entering Independence in the defender trials as a non-NYYC boat. Fascinating stuff.

I wish I had read this years ago, he really has great details not only of the challenges and haggling back and forth but also blow by blow details on individual races with deltas of mark roundings, etc.

I am all the way through the Canadian challenges, with Captn. Cuthbert. It seems that the boats he built were potentially fast, and later won a number of regattas when back on the Geat Lakes, but were not finished and refined during the matches. Lawson and others are quite kind in their final analysis of his two boats. Also the hauling of the American boats and polishing the copper bottom sheathing so that they were shiny like a new penny at the start of the match.

Great Stuff!

I wish I had read this years ago, he really has great details not only of the challenges and haggling back and forth but also blow by blow details on individual races with deltas of mark roundings, etc.

I am all the way through the Canadian challenges, with Captn. Cuthbert. It seems that the boats he built were potentially fast, and later won a number of regattas when back on the Geat Lakes, but were not finished and refined during the matches. Lawson and others are quite kind in their final analysis of his two boats. Also the hauling of the American boats and polishing the copper bottom sheathing so that they were shiny like a new penny at the start of the match.

Great Stuff!

I have a feeling the Wikipedia articles on the early challenges may soon get upgraded (and created).