• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMBReno

Antal XT vs Harken Performa - Any Thoughts?

9 posts in this topic

Looking for new winches for singlehanding. The construction of the Antal XT racing winches seems very similar to the Harken Performa, but I've seen some concerns about the Performa construction online (not formal reviews, nor my opinion - I have none). Anyone have experience with the Antal or Harkens care to comment? Thanks.

I have the predecessor Antal model on Dragon, and just swapped out the mast winch to an XT. In all cases I have the race version, which saves some weight.

• The rope grip is good.
  • The engineering and materials quality is top notch.
  • It is easy to strip it down, and easy to put it back together. The new version of the XT has a very simple screw top that holds it all together while the old version has a more complicated split ring. The assembly is such that it is pretty straight forward to figure out how to piece it back together, and pretty hard to lose pieces.
  • I put a lot of miles on the boat, upwards of 5,000 a year. I find that the winches need to be stripped down and cleaned every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. They can go longer, but they start to complain a bit after 3,000 miles.
  • They stand up to abuse well.

That is about it. I don't have any experience with the Harkens, but can recommend the Antals. If I had it to do all over again, I would pick them again.

Thanks, just the information I was looking for...so where did you purchase them? The XT Race version seems hard to find. John

Call Euromarine Trading - they are the US importer and can point you in the right direction.

I am in the same situation replacing 6 out of 8 winches.

Harken Performa or Antal XT? The funny part, the two winches I am not replacing are both Antal. After 20 years, they are still working very well. The sad part - the six winches I am replacing are all Lewmar.

The Antal XT R winches look really good, they run really well, and they are better priced then Harken. In UK most people are talking Harken. It is difficult to find anyone with decent experience with Antal. Most people quickly add: It is really good stuff. We got a good bit of Antel stuff onboard, some of it is now getting replace due to long and hard service.

I think the problem is in the supply chain somewhere - not really clear where (i.e. production, distribution, sales). But they have some tempting products, like their XT16.2 ST Race, which is the smallest self-tailing two speed available and just what I was looking for. We'll see......

I have the predecessor Antal model on Dragon, and just swapped out the mast winch to an XT. In all cases I have the race version, which saves some weight.

• The rope grip is good.
  • The engineering and materials quality is top notch.
  • It is easy to strip it down, and easy to put it back together. The new version of the XT has a very simple screw top that holds it all together while the old version has a more complicated split ring. The assembly is such that it is pretty straight forward to figure out how to piece it back together, and pretty hard to lose pieces.
  • I put a lot of miles on the boat, upwards of 5,000 a year. I find that the winches need to be stripped down and cleaned every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. They can go longer, but they start to complain a bit after 3,000 miles.
  • They stand up to abuse well.

That is about it. I don't have any experience with the Harkens, but can recommend the Antals. If I had it to do all over again, I would pick them again.

Thanks - I got a good impression of Antal products. Their sales channels?

6 out of our 8 winches are getting replaced next month and we ended up with Harken Performa. Simple really. Harken did a good job with their distributor confirming the spec for our new deck gear. I was open for Antel and our Italian yacht already had some Antel stuff on-board - most of it will now be replaced. I never found a Antel distributor that responded in a timely manner. Everyone around me from boat yard, distributor, and yacht club are talking Harken.

Thanks to my rigger, the new spinnaker pole track and trysail track on the mast are both Antel....they could have had it all....

You could have called Euromarine Trading - the importer - and asked

I know several outlets will be able to sell them to you. Definitely Mauri Pro and Defender. Most other shops would probably be happy to sell them to you.

sorry - I just noticed you are in the UK - not sure who sells them there

You could have called Euromarine Trading - the importer - and asked

I know several outlets will be able to sell them to you. Definitely Mauri Pro and Defender. Most other shops would probably be happy to sell them to you.