• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Red Shark

Basket case J/24

18 posts in this topic

Funky old sailing club where I keep a boat just accepted donation of a tired old J/24 - it's really looking a fright at present. They hope to make a program boat out of it - lend and rent it for hire or training use. Will check in later, just wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas aside from the InterClub modification - I'm not doing THAT much work on it..

Lets see: has the old telescoping hatch, but the aft section is missing and has a hunk of plywood in it's place, the cabin floor feels like a sponge and I have no idea how bad the bottom is. Otherwise looks complete, anyway. Old-style stanchions ( upper & lower lifelines) spars looks straight, rudder is decent.

Something tells me I'm going to regret saying I'd help them get it together, but I can't just let them go out an hurt somebody. Might just have a boat you can rent in Honolulu again, even if it is a J/24.

Don't recognize it. Could be Green Flash ? Original interior - floor bashed but not removed yet, so it still has the Verm. Hull is all white, deck has been re-painted not too badly. Needs to be cleaned up and sealed up. Didn't check the hull #, will do Tuesday night.

Guy who sailed it down from the Ala Wai - was a brokerage boat that they gave up on when someone asked them to start paying moorage for - did so with the jib sheets led to the tweakers... and survived.

All white, painted? Green Flash had the green boot top. Was the deck updated? Or just painted over the hardware?

Or just painted over the hardware?

I'm currently reading Linda Greenlaw's excellent book about swordfishing. She tells about the time they resprayed her deck -- when there was a dead flounder on it!!! Sprayed right over it ...

Leave the windows down and paint the inside for free.

turn it into one them IC24's they do down in the caribbean.

Deck is in too good a condition to bother getting that itchy. Hull # is 1790. There is a green boot. Spars are clear, don't look original and somebody did a decent re-non-skid on it - grippy without being too aggressive.

Sailed it last night for a quick spin with some lagoonatics, after showing them the jib sheet doesn't lead through the foreguy bullesye. I kid you not. They've had it a few days so why should I have expected them to have moved the cushions and taken the water out of the lazerettes ? Call me fancy, but... Anyway the boat is functional, good thing they don't have a spin pole.

It looks like for the first time in a long while there might be a place where a competant sailor could rent a J for a day if he were so inclined.

Green Flash had some good management for a while post J24 fleet era. But after that who knows.

Lazarette clips?

Isn't there some other boat you should be working on? I sort of remember this cool Schumaker 30'er that used to be around the neighborhood... I hear it's now around some other neighborhood not far from the beach, but not exactly at the waterfront, either.

Yea, it's got clips & I explained how they were basic safety equipment.

Much funnier was listening to the theories about the 2:1/4:1 double-ended mainsheet system.

That would have rather contemplative I'm sure. Dooooood.....

How well does the club have this thing covered under their insurance policy? Because if it isn't they should ground it.

lets not toss the term 'basketcase' around so freely. ok?

Hey Great Red Shark

I have some serviceable old sails for a J. Not race winners by any means, but for a loaner boat they would work. If your interested, let me know.

Aloha

Hey Great Red Shark

I have some serviceable old sails for a J. Not race winners by any means, but for a loaner boat they would work. If your interested, let me know.

Aloha

No news yet ?

Funky old sailing club's managers are seriously out-to-lunch on the entire concept, and "caretakers" looking after it equally clueless. Decided to let them handle this one all themselves - as Wayfarer likes to remind me, I have better things to do. I did refer a buyer to them, which they declined - when they could have converted it to Quick Cash and liquidated a Liability, but they likely will just hang onto it until it meets misfortune.