• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gonesurfin

J/24 Keel Cracks

14 posts in this topic

I left about a gallon of water in the bilge of my J/24 before storing it last winter. I now have some keel cracks and water seeping from one of the cracks. Has anyone seen this before? Both cracks are above where the keel attaches to the hull and the bolts look fine. Is this simply an issue with the fairing material? Is this a DIY repair or does it require a professional?

post-51828-0-30507500-1367913583_thumb.jpg

post-51828-0-14448700-1367913595_thumb.jpg

There are two possibilities, both which include extensive use of an angle or die grinder.

1) your keel sump is weeping through the keel bolt holes and out the back end of the keel/hull wrap of fiberglass

2) you have water trapped in the keel/hull wrap of fiberglass, and the water in your sump is unrelated

Either way, you should consult a professional if this isn't work that you're familiar with or have the time and talent to address yourself. If water doesn't accumulate in the sump when the boat is launched, then I'd say you're looking at largely cosmetic weeping, exacerbated by the water you allowed to freeze and thaw repeatedly in your bilge over the winter.

Ned,

There isn't any vermiculite as it's a 1984 boat.

Dogfish,

It seems as thought the water is weeping through the keel bolt holes. It's the busy season for all boat yards and it'll be 6-7 weeks before I'm able to have a professional work the keel. I'd like to mitigate the situation and sail during this time. What's the best way to seal water in the sump from weeping through to the keel and vice versa? Is it possible to remove one bolt at a time without disturbing the keel and apply a sealant under the bolts? If so, what type of sealant? Also, is West Systems a good choice to fill in the keel after I've ground out the cracks?

Thanks,

Jon

My boat is a 1987 and it does a little bit of the same thing. Doesn't make one RCH of difference, as far as I can tell. Not so sure I'd spend the big bucks. For sure you can remove one keel nut at a time (with the boat on the trailer), goop it up, and thread the nut back on. That should solve 95% of the problem, for about .002% of the cost of having a pro fix it.

My boat is a 1987 and it does a little bit of the same thing. Doesn't make one RCH of difference, as far as I can tell. Not so sure I'd spend the big bucks. For sure you can remove one keel nut at a time (with the boat on the trailer), goop it up, and thread the nut back on. That should solve 95% of the problem, for about .002% of the cost of having a pro fix it.

Not trying to hijack but was curious what hull number. I own 4332 (87 also)

Is West Systems 407 or 410 good for filling in the rackk in the keel after I've ground it out?

That is one of the more solid areas of the boat SO I have to think there is in fact a CRACK if it is leaking out the area that is well above the joint

The crack is very thin and shallow, less than 1mm deep.

if there isnt any structural problem , 407 would do the trick easily.

The crack is very thin and shallow, less than 1mm deep.

The joint between the keel and hull is about 6" ? below your leak in the keel sump

While it looks like nothing the fact that you say it is leaking water out of the crack makes it more than a surface deep issue as a leak between the keel and hull would be lower

The crack that has my attention is at the joint of the hull bottom and the top of the sump in the left picture. I would send a more focused picture of the full extent of cracking in this area to WaterLine get their input.

The crack that has my attention is at the joint of the hull bottom and the top of the sump in the left picture. I would send a more focused picture of the full extent of cracking in this area to WaterLine get their input.

That was my thought too.