Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

armido

OpenCPN on android devices!

Most of you are probably already aware of the hugely popular, free and open source navigation/charting program called OpenCPN. If you aren't you should be aware this program exists - AND IT CAN BE USED ON MOST ANY ANDROID DEVICE running linux in a chroot environment. Don't know what a 'chroot' environment is, read my instructions for installing linux and OpenCPN on an android device here: http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193/

I recommend a 10" device be used. Users will find it difficult to make practical use of the program on a smaller screen.

Once you have OpenCPN installed on your device, refer to the information that follows telling how to use an external and internal gps with OpenCPN running on your device.

Thanks, and enjoy!

armido

It is an unfortunate fact that most android tablet brands have operating systems missing modules (drivers) we need to use USB devices.

Unless the manufacturer of your device is responsive to requests by users that certain modules be enabled in the operating system's kernel, you are out of luck. And, considering the infrequent updates (OTAs) issued by manufacturers - you are very unlikely to ever get the module(s) you need in a timely manner.

In order for us to use a Garmin external USB gps with OpenCPN on our devices, two modules and a program are required.

1.) USB to serial module - pl2303
2.) For Garmin, 'garmin_gps'
3.) and a program called 'gpsd'

It is possible non-Garmin gps units will work without a gps module. Check with your gps manufacturer and or peruse: GPSd — Put your GPS on the net! If you have a Garmin you must have the garmin_gps module.

Your device must be rooted before you can perform the following steps.

Using a good android file management progam like FX, downloadable from Google Play, navigate to /etc/init.d in the android system. If you do not see the pl2303 and garmin_gps module (for Garmin owners), you are out of luck - unless. Explanation follows below. If you own any other gps, the presence of pl2303 may be enough.

Those of you who do not have have the necessary modules would most likely be wasting your time asking your device manufacturer to enable them and issue an update in a timely manner.

So, what choice do you have?

Wireless Xoom owners can go to xda-developers [ROM][4.2.2] My Android 4.2 for Xoom Wi-Fi (20130217) - xda-developers and learn how to install a custom ROM for their device. Once installed, check if the above mentioned modules are present. If not, I will post a request to the developers that they be enabled in their next build. Owners of the mz601, G3, UMTS can grab the necessary custom ROM here: [ROM][4.2.2 JDQ39 AOSP] Eos 4.0 -- Umts_Everest - xda-developers Your in luck because within two days of my request the garmin_gps module was enabled. pl2303 was already active.

All other brands should locate a suitable custom ROM for theirbdevice at xda. Once installed check for presence or absence of the required modules. If they are missing let me know and I'll put in a request for you. Unless you have satisfied minimum posting requirements at xda, you cannot post in development forums.

If you followed my instructions: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage , gpsd will already be installed in your linux system.

How to get your external USB gps working with OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment?

1.) Follow my installation instructions Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage .
2.) Confirm you have the necessary android drivers - pl2303 and for Garmin devices garmin_gps. See last post for how to do this.
3.) For Xoom owners you will need an OTG cable for connecting the gps to your android device. USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Other device owners should determine whether this cable is required. Use your favourite search engine. They're inexpensive. Use the cable that came with your gps to connect to the OTG cable.

For Garmin users, loading the android pl2303 and garmin_gps modules is facilitated by creating two executable files in /etc/init.d . Use the android FX file manager downloadable from Google Play to create the files and change permissions to make them executable.

Users who's gps does not require a driver only need the first file that loads pl2303.

Contents of files:

1.)

#!/system/bin/sh
modprobe pl2303

2.)

#!/system/bin/sh
modprobe garmin_gps

If you do not have a Garmin, the second file will be different if your gps requires a driver. Type the name of your driver in place of 'garmin_gps. If no driver is required for your gps, the second file is not needed.

Once the necessary file(s) have been created reboot your device.
Open an android terminal (downloadable from Google Play).

At the prompt:

su
<enter>
lsmod
<enter>

You should see output indicating pl2303 and garmin_gps (Garmin users only) modules are loaded.

Connect your gps and turn on.

At terminal prompt:

'dmesg'
<enter>

This should provide output confirming your gps has been recognized and a socket created /dev/ttyUSB0 through USB?. The socket created consistently for me is /dev/ttyUSB5.

'lsusb' will list your usb devices. The gps device will be something like Bus 002 Device 002: ID 091e:0003 Garmin International GPS (various models)' . Adapt the numbers from Bus and Device to the next step.

Next, 'ls -l /dev/bus/usb/002/002 (last number given by lsusb) confirms the device exists.

Assuming user is logged as root the command to start gpsd is 'gpsd -n -D 6 -N /dev/ttyUSB5 or whatever USB number was indicated in the dmesg output.

If everything has been done correctly you should see data output from gps.

Using FX file manager create another file in /data/local/linux/mnt/etc/init.d called 'startgps'
Copy and paste into the file:

#!/bin/sh
sudo killall gpsd
sudo gpsd -n -D 6 -N /dev/ttyUSB5 &
#Note: substitute the ttyUSB device number obtained with 'dmesg' command.

Save the file and change permissions so it is executable.

Start Linux Deploy. Click on the arrow icon at the top right. It is pointing downward.
Enable 'Custom startup' then click on Script file. Type /etc/init.d/startgps.

Stop Linux Deploy.

Reboot your android device.

Open Linux Deploy and click on start.

Open your VNC viewer (akRDC)and connect to the desktop. Start OpenCPN.

Click on the wrench (settings) in the menu bar.
Click on Connections.
Click on Add Connection
Choose Network and GPSD. Address will be normally be localhost. DataPort 2947.
Click on Add Connection.
Choose Serial. DataPort will be /dev/ttyUSB5 or whatever USB port number was indicated in the 'dmesg' command. Baudrate 4800. For Garmin users select Use Garmin (GRMN) mode for input and Use Garmin GRMN (Host) mode for uploads. Accept other default options.

BOTH CONNECTIONS MUST BE ENABLED! Why I do not know...

Click on Apply.

Your gps should be working in OpenCPN.

Problems? Post here for assistance.

armido

Here are instructions for using your device built in gps:

Two solutions for using built in gps on android devices running OpenCPN in a Linux chroot environment are available.

'Turbo GPS', downloadable for free from Google Play can be used with gps chips that generate nmea data. Instructions are pretty clear and included.

'GPS Share WIFI' also available from Google Play must be used with built in gps chips that do not generate nmea data and provide position, speed and course information only. Motorola manufactures these types of devices. This applicatiion may possibly be used with the nmea generating chips too.

Note that 'GPS Share WIFI' does not need an external router or hot spot to work, provided your android device has a hot spot capability. WIFI off, network data off, device hot spot on. GPS Share settings - local port, default port #12776, Use WIFI hot - on.

OpenCPN settings:

Properties; network, tcp, address 'locallhost', data port '12776'. Press apply then o.k..

You may have to stop and restart GPS Share WIFI if at first it appears OpenCPN is not receiving nmea sentences.

armido

Correction of error in previous post:

OpenCPN settings:

Properties; network, tcp, address 'localhost', data port '12776'. Press apply then o.k..

armido

I'm interested in an Android-driven tablet, so this'll be handy once I can afford one.

I'm interested in an Android-driven tablet, so this'll be handy once I can afford one.

If you're spending that much, you could buy a laptop and your opencpn will work perfectly ;)

(I know I know, the tablet is nicer for some things)

I'm currently using an old netbook. Not as convenient as a tablet, and has such minimal horsepower that OpenCPN running on Ubuntu kind of stresses it out.

I thought Android powered tablets were much less expensive than iPads?

I'm seeing Samsung Galaxy tablets for $169 and Nexus tablets for $239.

If you're spending that much, you could buy a laptop and your opencpn will work perfectly ;)

I'm currently using an old netbook. Not as convenient as a tablet, and has such minimal horsepower that OpenCPN running on Ubuntu kind of stresses it out.

I thought Android powered tablets were much less expensive than iPads?

I'm seeing Samsung Galaxy tablets for $169 and Nexus tablets for $239.

Yeah that's what I was thinking would make sense. I didn't realize the cheap-end of the android spectrum would have a gps, that's actually cool they do.

The galaxy and the nexus are so widespread someone must have worked out exact instructions for getting opencpn running nicely.

In the meantime on friday I cracked the screen on my phone, so there goes my gps for my remaining few weeks in Canadia...

If you compare battery life, smaller footprint and superior durability many tablets are a much better choice than laptops on board. I've dropped My Motorola Xoom 5 or 6 times without causing any damage at all. Show me a laptop that will survive that! I use a laptop when in port to prepare my routes then import the .gpx file to OpenCPN on my Xoom. When underway the tablet is put in sleep mode until I need to view a chart or confirm my position. Used this way I can sail nearly a week without needing to charge the battery. The tablet can be stored safely out of the way under a cushion without causing damage. When charging it consumes about 1.5 amps initially, and less as it approaches full charge after 20 - 30 minutes.

armido

Check out the HiSense Sero 7 ( both Lite and Pro). $99 for the Lite but the Pro is only $149 and is close to the Nexus 7 specs. It is already rooted. Sold at Walmart.

Check out the HiSense Sero 7 ( both Lite and Pro). $99 for the Lite but the Pro is only $149 and is close to the Nexus 7 specs. It is already rooted. Sold at Walmart.

If you are simply interested in owning a tablet, a seven inch display is fine. However, if you are buying a tablet with using OpenCPN in mind you may be happy with a 9" tablet, but much less so that a 10" tablet.

armido

The installation instructions have been edited because there was some confusion over my discussion of zyGrib. http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193

armido

A resolution to OpenCPN crashing upon opening NOAA ENC charts has been introduced in OpenCPN version 3.3.1003 available from github. 'git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN'

See instructions here for how to do this and more here:

http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193

Also, since I have been banned from Cruisers Forum for totally innocuous postings that would never even raise an eyebrow on Cruising Anarchy, I'll be responding to problems and inquiries there, here. So, if you are a CF member and can help out by reposting my replies at CF at the most appropriate of the links below, thanks in advance.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/how-to-use-linux-deploy-installing-opencpn-on-androids-107226.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/gps-working-with-opencpn-on-androids-103649.html

armido aka Wrong

Regarding which device to choose. The Motorola Xoom MZ601 can be found used now for between $179 on eBay and new $300 from amazon. Best to buy your preferred device unlocked which will cost a bit more but enables you to avoid breaking the law. Rooting a device is legal. Unlocking a device so you can choose to use any sim card, regardless of the phone company is not.

armido

Regarding which device to choose. The Motorola Xoom MZ601 can be found used now for between $179 on eBay and new $300 from amazon. Best to buy your preferred device unlocked which will cost a bit more but enables you to avoid breaking the law. Rooting a device is legal. Unlocking a device so you can choose to use any sim card, regardless of the phone company is not.

armido

Unlocking a device for operation on any SIM is legal in most countries. The US is currently an exception, but there are moves to make it legal again. The law you would be breaking is likely not constitutional and I doubt it would be enforced for that reason alone.

Elite324,

Thanks.

armido

Hi armido

First off thanks for the info and encouragement to dive in the deep end and get OpenCPN onto an Android Tablet.

I've got a fair way along in the process since yesterday and now have a successfully rooted Xperia Z 10.1 Tablet with Linux installed and OpenCPN built. Just the last hurdle to jump :)

Still trying to figure out what is wrong but when I execute OpenCPN from the Linux file commander it either does not do anything (some errors in the log file about not finding style etc) or causes the tablet to reboot.

Only been at it a few hours so far so not given up hope just :)

Has anyone else been successful getting the Xperia tablet working? Great bit of kit as its waterproof straight out of the box.

Cheers

Mark

I am running OpenCPN quite well on an old IBM Thinkpad I got for $25. I did have to add a hard drive and battery.

Here is something I found out the hard way - do not even THINK about using the ENC charts on a low horsepower machine. I like the raster charts much better anyway.

Being a windows based PC as opposed to a Android Tablet does simplify things....I never like to do things the easy way :) But a Tablet does have some distinct advantages over a Laptop/PC

• Power consumption and battery life
  • Built in hardware GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, Accelerometer, Magnitometer, Galvo, Camera, Touch screen and Sim card (option I don't have or need)
  • In the case of the Sony Xperia..Ipx67 waterproof without case.
  • Small, light
  • Massive numbers of free or cheap apps both boating and entertainment related

Disadvantages:

• Cost (but still a fraction of a dedicated system and much more flexible)
  • Android or iOS based (generally) which is both an advantage and disadvantage.
  • Screen visibility (problem shared with all LCD screens but worse with glossy glass.... will test an anti glare screen protector)
  • Less computing power than an equivalent cost Laptop (but the gap is narrowing and the newer tablets have way more punch than an older Thinkpad I'd wager)

I don't have any invested interest in Sony gear but at the moment it looks like the ideal platform for geeking up a boat...especially if I can get OpenCPN install to work :)

Cheers

Hi armido

On the Xperia it uses an armv7 processor so I'm guessing that I should be using armhf variant of Debian. This is only available in Weezy as opposed to Squeeze.... for the purpose of the install are their differences in the dependencies?

For those that this sounds like Greek ....it was to me a mere 24hrs ago too!

Cheers

Mark,

Have you tried launching OpenCPN from the main menu? You'll most likely find it under "Education". Also, try running from the command prompt in your terminal logged in as root. I am suggesting this on the assumption you have tried to launch OpenCPN as a normal user and failed. armido

Hi armido

First off thanks for the info and encouragement to dive in the deep end and get OpenCPN onto an Android Tablet.

I've got a fair way along in the process since yesterday and now have a successfully rooted Xperia Z 10.1 Tablet with Linux installed and OpenCPN built. Just the last hurdle to jump :)

Still trying to figure out what is wrong but when I execute OpenCPN from the Linux file commander it either does not do anything (some errors in the log file about not finding style etc) or causes the tablet to reboot.

Only been at it a few hours so far so not given up hope just :)

Has anyone else been successful getting the Xperia tablet working? Great bit of kit as its waterproof straight out of the box.

Cheers

Mark

My Xoom is a armhf device but runs o.k. on Ubuntu Precise, armel. What matters is that your development files identify the system properly when compiling programs. If you watch the output while compiling OpenCPN you'll see comments revealing your device architecture as armhf. armido

Hi armido

On the Xperia it uses an armv7 processor so I'm guessing that I should be using armhf variant of Debian. This is only available in Weezy as opposed to Squeeze.... for the purpose of the install are their differences in the dependencies?

For those that this sounds like Greek ....it was to me a mere 24hrs ago too!

Cheers

I am a big fan of OpenCPN and used it on Acer netbooks for three years while sailing home from Thailand. It is wonderful.

But I have a hard time seeing the point of porting it to Android when there are inexpensive products like Navionics Mobile around.

Mark, I overlooked your comment about the tablet rebooting when you try to start OpenCPN from the command line. You are attempting this from inside Linux aren't you? This is the procedure. Start Linux from Linux Deploy. Open your vnc viewer and make sure the settings are vnc server at TCP port 5900 and the host is 'localhost'. Connect the server and you should see the linux 'desktop'. You'll find OpenCPN in the main menu under 'Education'. Please report the results. armido

Jimma,

Having never used Navionics on my Xoom, I'm not familiar with it's strengths and weaknesses. Does one have to buy chart sets from Navionics? If so, I'd consider the potential significant cost for charts a major deterrent. OpenCPN uses the widely available CM93 vector charts of the world and of course charts in a variety of other formats that can be downloaded for free from a different sources. armido

I am a big fan of OpenCPN and used it on Acer netbooks for three years while sailing home from Thailand. It is wonderful.

But I have a hard time seeing the point of porting it to Android when there are inexpensive products like Navionics Mobile around.

Navi

Jimma,

Having never used Navionics on my Xoom, I'm not familiar with it's strengths and weaknesses. Does one have to buy chart sets from Navionics? If so, I'd consider the potential significant cost for charts a major deterrent. OpenCPN uses the widely available CM93 vector charts of the world and of course charts in a variety of other formats that can be downloaded for free from a different sources. armido

Navionics' cost depends on the part of the world you seek, but it includes charts. There are two mobile packages that cover all of US and Canada, a lower resolution app suitable for smartphones for $15 and a higher res app for tablets, $50. A frugal friend uses the low res app on his 7-inch tablet and it looks pretty good.

The Navionics system uses vector charts which I think are superior to CM93v2 charts for their coverage of small bays and harbors in my part of the world.

OpenCPN is free. Charts of the U.S are available for free, downloadable from N.O.A.A. Canada? I haven't needed anything but CM93 charts between Bellingham Washington and Desolation Sound. And, It appears CM93 charts cover the entire U.S. & Canadian coast, east and west. Free. While I favour using CM93 charts, they are also available from N.O.A.A in bsb and enc formats. However, I avoid using the enc (vector) charts due to the way they load on my tablet. CM93 charts of THE WORLD are freely available. Can you provide an estimate of cost were you to purchase these charts (world wide) from Navionics? Cruisers like myself who do most of their voyaging away from the U.S. and Canada would prefer spending their money on something other than Navionics charts. I have no issue with the Quality CM93 charts, and I use pre-V2 charts. The advantage of using OpenCPN on an android tablet is clear. By the way, OpenCPN is compiled from source in the linux chroot environment and has not yet been 'ported' to android. It is however under development and may be available in the not too distant future as an android application. Will this include tablets? I haven't a clue.

Are the CM93 charts free, or pirated? I have been having a hard time finding "legitimate" charts for OpenCPN for areas outside of the US at a price that can compete with products like Garmin Bluechart.

Mark.

Mark, I overlooked your comment about the tablet rebooting when you try to start OpenCPN from the command line. You are attempting this from inside Linux aren't you? This is the procedure. Start Linux from Linux Deploy. Open your vncviewer and make sure the settings are vnc server at TCP port 5900 and the host is 'localhost'. Connect the server and you should see the linux 'desktop'. You'll find OpenCPN in the main menu under 'Education'. Please report the results. armido

Thanks armido, I've not had a chance to play with the install this past week but will try again over the coming days. I'm thinking that I didn't get the linux install done correctly the previous times. Presently I struggling to get the opengpl installed under wheezy armhf. I also found that I needed to execute the apt-get install with each dependancy induvidually instead as a string to ensure that they loaded correctly.I get the desktop environment running in vncviewer but have to use filemanager to navigate to opencpn. Not seen this education folder/icon

Will try a bit longer with the wheezy and if it still is problematic fall back to squeeze or precise.

Will post results when I get them....still love to hear from someone whohas been successful with thexperia. Rather follow than lead when it comes to this stuff.

Are the CM93 charts free, or pirated? I have been having a hard time finding "legitimate" charts for OpenCPN for areas outside of the US at a price that can compete with products like Garmin Bluechart.

Mark

CM93 charts are freely available. Whether or not they were made available in an underhanded way is something I can only speculate about. However, recently there have been successful steps taken to have them removed from servers offering them for download. In spite of the fact fewer online sources for the charts may be available, I judge there are enough sailors in possession of these charts who are happy to supply copies that they will be freely available into the indefinite future. I cannot say what anyone wanting copies of the charts should or should not do, I can only say they are freely available, meaning you can obtain copies for free. Companies that digitize charts they have not themselves created or paid for are in a sense profiting from government activities paid for from the public purse. Why should this be allowed? Copy or not to copy? People must decide for themselves.

Mark, I overlooked your comment about the tablet rebooting when you try to start OpenCPN from the command line. You are attempting this from inside Linux aren't you? This is the procedure. Start Linux from Linux Deploy. Open your vncviewer and make sure the settings are vnc server at TCP port 5900 and the host is 'localhost'. Connect the server and you should see the linux 'desktop'. You'll find OpenCPN in the main menu under 'Education'. Please report the results. armido

Thanks armido, I've not had a chance to play with the install this past week but will try again over the coming days. I'm thinking that I didn't get the linux install done correctly the previous times. Presently I struggling to get the opengpl installed under wheezy armhf. I also found that I needed to execute the apt-get install with each dependancy induvidually instead as a string to ensure that they loaded correctly.I get the desktop environment running in vncviewer but have to use filemanager to navigate to opencpn. Not seen this education folder/icon

Will try a bit longer with the wheezy and if it still is problematic fall back to squeeze or precise.

Will post results when I get them....still love to hear from someone whohas been successful with thexperia. Rather follow than lead when it comes to this stuff.

Mark,

Do not enable opengl. If you are having problems using Midnight Commander, I recommend you use 'Terminal Emulator', an android app downloadable from Google Play. To use, open the app by clicking on it's icon. At the prompt type 'su' and press enter. In order to start linux and mount the partitions type at the prompt '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell' and press enter. Your linux partitions are mounted and provided you are connected to the internet you can proceed to copy and paste commands from my instructions to download and install dependencies. Please post your Linux Deploy settings here so I can make certain they are right before you reinstall linux. Should save you from unnecessary stress and wasted time. I am hopeful newer tablets like the Experia Z 10.1 and Nexus 10 are not going to introduce obstacles to using OpenCPN in a chroot linux environment. Your's may be a test case... I am already aware of problems encountered by a Nexus 10 owner, but do not know the outcome since he didn't ask for additional help. Remember though, persistence eventually pays off and leads to possible solutions.

Yep I'm pretty stubborn so will give it a fair go to get it working. I'm no programmer though but did have a job where I was exposed to unix and vms environments so some of this stuff looks familiar (which means I know enough to really screw up :) )

I've been following your installation instructions for the zoom so using the same dependencies list I'm using Terminal emulator and akRDC windows apps

I've deviated for those instructions this time only in that I chose Wheezy and armhf as the processor/flavour of linux.

So far I've not seen an icon in the akRDC environment and have instead used the file manager to navigate to /home/Downloads/OpenCPN directory and then attempt to execute opencpn.

At the moment it looks like I've got all the files there but need to compile OpenCPN again (just looking and I dont see the opencpn file at moment )

Might get a chance to play tomorrow after work...bit late here in oz right now to start going down the rabbit hole again.

cheers

Yep I'm pretty stubborn so will give it a fair go to get it working. I'm no programmer though but did have a job where I was exposed to unix and vms environments so some of this stuff looks familiar (which means I know enough to really screw up :) )

I've been following your installation instructions for the zoom so using the same dependencies list I'm using Terminal emulator and akRDC windows apps

I've deviated for those instructions this time only in that I chose Wheezy and armhf as the processor/flavour of linux.

So far I've not seen an icon in the akRDC environment and have instead used the file manager to navigate to /home/Downloads/OpenCPN directory and then attempt to execute opencpn.

At the moment it looks like I've got all the files there but need to compile OpenCPN again (just looking and I dont see the opencpn file at moment )

Might get a chance to play tomorrow after work...bit late here in oz right now to start going down the rabbit hole again.

cheers

If you accepted the default window manager you're probably using LXDE. The main menu is accessed from the icon in lower left corner of the screen. Click on it an you should see a submenu for 'education'. Click on it and you should see the OpenCPN icon. I recommend you use the XFCE window manager instead of LXDE. Change the setting in Linux Deploy from LXDE to XFCE then tap on Reconfigure. Provided you're online, the necessary files will be automatically downloadeed and installed. In XFCE the main menue icon is at top left corner of the screen.

Enabling Opengpl in OpenCPN causes the program to crash, even on some laptops. Been there, done that. Will it cause your device to reboot? Possibly.

armido

Had a bit of a play.

Progress so far:

Now running XFCE

Did a -i -DPREFIX to modify the CMAKE cache file.

Still having errors concerning BZIP2 ...will investigate further tomorrow.

I'm assuming that I've yet to properly build OpenCPN until cmake runs without errors.

How does one enable or disable Opengpl for OpenCPN?

Cheers

Try Flying,

You're missing a dependency.

Use these files to satisfy your Debian dependencies. apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev gettext git-core cmake gpsd gpsd-clients libgps-dev build-essential wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev

Dependencies already installed will be ignored by apt. When a dependency is reported by apt as not found it may be due to a typo or name/version change in the file(s). If you run apt with a partial file name and asterisk (*) like this 'libgtk2*' a long list of files will be generated, most apparently unrelated to your desired file. Scroll through them until you find the likely candidate. Not nearly as productive as yum in Fedora, but it works.

Opengpl is disabled by default in OpenCPN. First page in settings (the wrench).

armido

Try Flying,

You're right. cmake must complete without errors. The command is cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE because we want additional debugging output to assist in determining why a compilation fails. Normally, the useful output is found in the last couple of lines.

armido

Couple steps forward but then a stumble during make.....

: Leaving directory `/home/Downloads/OpenCPN'

make -f CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/build

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Downloads/OpenCPN'

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libGLU.so.1.3.08005', needed by `opencpn'. Stop.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Downloads/OpenCPN'

make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Downloads/OpenCPN'

make: *** [all] Error 2

Couple steps forward but then a stumble during make.....

: Leaving directory `/home/Downloads/OpenCPN'

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libGLU.so.1.3.08005', needed by `opencpn'. Stop.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Downloads/OpenCPN'

make: *** [all] Error 2

Try Flying,

The answer to your problem can be found by asking two questions. The first is whether or not libGLU.so.1.3,08005 needed by opencpn is installed? This can be determined using apt. If connected to the internet, the apt command 'apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev' will inform you of the answer. If it is installed, the next question is why isn't it being found by the compilation process? At the very end of my instructions is a list of alternate paths to files found in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi... Different linux flavours may use different file structures determined by the device architecture. Odds are, you will receive successive messages of this type unless you switch for example to Ubuntu Precise. If you enjoy the techie approach to a successful conclusion you can apply the -i option and use my instructions in order to make changes ahead of time. Or, you can try editing the /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN/build/CmakeCache.txt file directly. Since you've come this far, it's probably more efficient to make the changes than start over.

armido

I've gone thru the cache.txt file and it only has referance to arm_linux_gnueabihf. Being setup as aasrmhf install would this most likely be the issue? I'll go thru a -I Setup this arvo.

The make process was about 60% completed when it hit this issue so past halfway point.

I've gone thru the cache.txt file and it only has referance to arm_linux_gnueabihf. Being setup as aasrmhf install would this most likely be the issue? I'll go thru a -I Setup this arvo.

The make process was about 60% completed when it hit this issue so past halfway point.

Try Flying,

You hit the nail on the head. I considered the possibility the file system name may be '/usr/arm_linux_gnueabihf' instead of '/arm_linux_gnueabi' but was already away from a wireless network. Once you've successfully got everything compiled and installed you'll be in a pretty good position if you're so inclined to help others with installation problems. Remaining issues you have not yet encountered relate to file permissions or an update to Linux Deploy. Subsequent to the update, attempts to start linux (mount partitions) may fail. The resolution for this is to open the android 'settings' module. Then tap on Apps followed by a tap on Linux Deploy. Clear 'cache' and 'data'. Return to Linux Deploy and ensure all settings and installation parameters are correct. Mounting the linux partitions should now succeed. The other problem relates to file permissions assigned to charts. Depending upon their location, on the sdcard, sdcard1 or /home/android file system - the permissions assigned to charts may effectively prevent them from being read. The best solution is to place the charts in /home/android/charts and CM93. But due to the less than 5 gigabyte maximum size of the linux.img, there isn't much space remaining for charts. In my case I've been careful to only copy charts in the .bsb/.kap format for the area I'll be cruising into /home/linux/charts. Not so easily done with CM93 charts, so all of them get copied into /home/android/CM93. While one can define /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard1 in Linux Deploy so charts can be accessed from one or the other, the permissions may be affected by the android system rendering them unreadable. The easiest way to ensure the charts permissions are right once copied into /home/android is to use the android FX file manager and terminal emulator. From within FX, first navigate to /home/android/charts. Long press on 'charts'. A menu opens from which 'Permissions' is selected. Enable everything - rwx-rwx-rwx. Repeat these steps for CM93. Open the android emulator. At prompt 'su', <enter>. Then '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell', <enter>. Next, 'chmod -R /home/android/charts --reference=/home/android/charts', <enter>. Repeat the command substituting 'CM93' for 'charts'. This changes the permissions 'recursively' or all of the charts.

armido

To all:

If compilation fails due to file(s) needed by opencpn 'not found', and you have confirmed they are installed, you will need to adjust their path by using the '-i' switch. This switch opens a configuration module that presents the opportunity to make changes in the CmakeCache.txt file located in /home/android/Download/OpenCPN/build. The command will be 'cmake -i -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE'.

Unfortunately you can't make changes by moving the cursor to where the change is needed. You must back-space deleting information up to the point where the change is required. Best way to simplify this is to copy the entire line into a text editor or Jota+ (from Google Play) and make the change there. After copying you can delete the entire line in the module,then copy and paste the corrected line into the module. The change you need to make is usually repetitive, like changing 'arm-gnueabi...' to 'arm-gnueabihf'...' Make sure you do not copy over a leading space from your text editing or Jota+. Leading spaces are verbotten.

armido

Try Flying, Is the name 'arm_linux_gnueabihf or something else similar but not quite the same? I went the Ubuntu Precise armhf route once and cannot recall the difference. Returned to the armel install... armido

Try Flying, Is the fact the CmakeCache.txt file refers to arm_linux_gnueabihf because you edited the file, or has it always referred to arm_linux_gnueabihf? If it has always referred to arm_linux_gnueabihf, then is it /usr/arm_linux_gnueabihf or /usr/lib/arm_linux_gnueabi? Some other location? It will help if you post your CmakeCache.txt file. Otherwise I'm in the dark about what is actually going on. It may be there is one or more broken or missing links.

The original output that started this conversation is "No rule to make target `/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libGLU.so.1.3.08005', needed by `opencpn'. Stop." This suggests to me cmake expected to find the needed file in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi not gnueabihf. This is why the CmakeCache file needs to be edited - since the needed file is in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf, not gnueabi. Also, you said "I've gone thru the cache.txt file and it only has referance to arm_linux_gnueabihf." Note the difference in how you've underscored rather than hyphenated. Which is correct, 'arm_linux_gnueabihf' or 'arm-linux-gnueabihf?

armido

FYi - you might find more interested participants for this detailed linux build conversation in Gear Anarchy.

Quick update...Not had a chance to do much on the tablet lately as I've been busy sailing...will get back to it this week.

On a side note I've found one short coming of touch screen tablets... they don't work well in the rain with wet fingers. Oh you want to push here, no there, wait a minute noiw you are pushing in three places....arrrrgggg!

At least the sony is water proof :)

Still having issues getting a proper build but will continue banging away at it :

wnloads/OpenCPN /home/Downloads/OpenCPN /home/Downloads/OpenCPN /home/Downloads/OpenCPN /home/Downloads/OpenCPN/CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/DependInfo.cmake --color=
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/libGL.so', needed by `opencpn'. Stop.

Different file this time so maybe making progress :)

I mistyped on my previous post it was always - not _ in the cache file.

Tip for Xperia users.... if you accidentally (or on purpose) shut down the tablet while su is still granted in LinuxDeploy or a terminal the tablet will lockup and refuse to shut down. To force a soft reboot/reset hold the power button and the volume up button for a few seconds. This scared the shite out of me the first time before I found this trick as I thought I'd bricked the unit.

Armido I'll flick my cache file your way once I figure out how to attach it.

Found a thread talking about the same problem...here is how they fixed it: does this make sense?

Well, I already knew it existed (one of the first things I did was check...), but it never occurred to me to check whether it was a broken link or not... which was rather foolish on my part, it seems...
file /usr/lib/libGL.so tells me that it is in fact a broken link to (/usr/lib/)mesa/libGL.so, which is in turn a broken symbolic link to (/usr/lib/)libGL.so.1, which is a valid symbolic link to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2!!!!

This would appear to be the problem.
I've fixed it using:

CODE: SELECT ALL sudo rm /usr/lib/libGL.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so

Try Flying,

While linkage may be an issue, the assumed removal of one link and creation of another as in your last post doesn't do a thing, except perhaps create a link to nothing. This is so because the libGL.so in your system is not located in /usr/lib/. It is located in /usr/lib/arm_linux_gnueabihf. Which is the whole problem.

Mount the linux system with Linux Deploy, or alternately by using the android terminal emulator as described elsewhere. Hint - "/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell"

Using the android FX FIle manager navigate to '/data/local/linux/mnt/usr/arm_linux_gnueabihf'. Scroll down. Eventually all of the library files will appear. Watch for libGL.so AND libGLU.so Other library files 'needed by opencpn' are also found here.

Note that libGL.so and libGL.so.1 are symlinks that lead to the file libGL.so.1.2 Your symlinks are probably o.k. I recommend you use the FX file editing program to edit CmakeCache.txt directly. Watch out for precisely what you are to provide - a 'folder' or path to a file? You can start fresh with a new CmakeCache.txt file using the terminal emulator. cd /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN/build <enter> Then 'make clean' <enter>

Start from scratch with your cmake command. Upon the first error edit the CmakeCache file directly with the FX file editor. Attempt to compile only after every entry with arm-linux-gnueabi is changed to arm_linux_gnueabihf. Make sure of the hyphen vs. underscore usage.

YEAH !!! Success

Thanks armido. the make clean fixed the problem and now have OpenCPN running on the Sony Xperia.

How well its running I will test next as I don't thing its getting GPS info as yet and I need to install some maps. Big step forward though.

Keep you all posted.

YEAH !!! Success

Thanks armido. the make clean fixed the problem and now have OpenCPN running on the Sony Xperia.

How well its running I will test next as I don't thing its getting GPS info as yet and I need to install some maps. Big step forward though.

Keep you all posted.

Try Flying,

Excellent. Your perseverance and patience is a testament to others that lots more than successfully installing OpenCPN is gained by not giving up. While you were exposed to unix in the past, your recollections were probably pretty rusty. The effort you put into compiling and installing OpenCPN has not only refreshed your memory, but taught you some basics of using linux that hopefully will get you - and others who follow your example - to adopt the operating system and programs for every day use.

Thanks!

I wouldn't go so far as saying adopt the OS for everyday usage but it is handy to refresh the brain a bit none the less.

Not quite out of the woods just yet.

I've install the charts on the external SD card and its mounted and installed in the settings but OpenCPN does not load them when I zoom in. I'll check the Read/Write privileges as you suggest a few post up.

Also GPS dos not seem to be communicating with the app and I don't see any NEMA strings in the debug window of OpenCPN. I know others have had issues as I recall some posts on the OpenCPN.org forum...will do a bit of googling.

GPS is still functional in Android apps.

Open the android emulator. At prompt 'su', <enter>. Then '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell', <enter>. Next, 'chmod -R /home/android/charts --reference=/home/android/charts', <enter>. Repeat the command substituting 'CM93' for 'charts'. This changes the permissions 'recursively' or all of the charts.

On my setup from root@android prompt I think the command would rather be chmod -R /sdcard1/Charts --reference=/sdcard1/Charts

Sound right?

....opps bad mode error....will play more this arvo

hows this post sound?

Bad mode means the permissions on the file are not set correctly, and some versions of chmod don't understand the o+rw notation. All chmods understand octal notation, where 6=read/write, so try

chmod 666 /dev/ttyS1

I hope this helps.

Try Flying,

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/gps-working-with-opencpn-on-androids-103649.html

Also,

Save yourself some grief and copy your charts into /home/android. Than adjust the permissions.

armido

Was trying to keep all the charts on the external SD card

Will attempt to copy to /home/android as you suggest but what are the issues with using the external card?

Permissions. Within the linux environment you have certain rights to access, modify, move, delete and create files. Once you've done any of these things they remain unchanged until you do something to change them. Not so as a linux user in the purely android environment. Android has it's own set of permissions, and while rooting the device enables the root operator to access, modify, move, delete and create files, managing permissions is a whole different matter. Even if you can successfully alter permissions of a file on either of the sdcards, odds are very good the android system will relabel them next time you start the tablet.

Be very careful using commands like 'rm' and 'chmod'. You can render your system inoperable...

Be very careful using commands like 'rm' and 'chmod'. You can render your system inoperable...

Hmm probably something that should be stated first :)

I did notice that although you could change the permissions with FX it did not "stick" and was back to the original once you exited the permissions window.

I stopped trying to sort out the charts and decided to getthe GPS sorted first....

I loaded Turbo GPS but do now have what I think is an unrelated issue in that I get a greyed out screen (still have icons and mouse control but no desktop) in the akRDC VNC app like its not loaded the environment.

2 steps forward one back.

"Hmm probably something that should be stated first :)

I did notice that although you could change the permissions with FX it did not "stick" and was back to the original once you exited the permissions window.

I stopped trying to sort out the charts and decided to getthe GPS sorted first....

I loaded Turbo GPS but do now have what I think is an unrelated issue in that I get a greyed out screen (still have icons and mouse control but no desktop) in the akRDC VNC app like its not loaded the environment.

2 steps forward one back."

Actually, if you were to read all of my threads you'd find warnings. But, who wants to read everything? I wouldn't.

What happens with Turbo GPS off when you start linux then go to the desktop with akRDC? On a side note I recommend you try bVNC Free too. It's much better than when I originally used it a year or so ago. Hope you didn't bork your linux installation messing around with the chmod command... Unmount the system with Linux Deploy then remount. Any difference in the desktop? How about when using bVNC Free? Make sure your resolution and display settings are correct in akRDC and bVNC.

Didn't do any chmod other than the -R but might have deleted the cache and by accident data of Linux deploy and/or akRDC from the setting window of Android...was rushing and not wearing my glasses...mot a good mix :)

Hey I need practice installing Linux ....whats one more time!

I've downloaded bVNC ..will give it a try but think the problem is on the Linux Deploy side as it looks very familiar to the grey screen we would get on a unix system when the window environment didn't load due to password issues or similar (been ages so I don't have a clear memory of what caused it)

Will keep you all posted.

Didn't do any chmod other than the -R but might have deleted the cache and by accident data of Linux deploy and/or akRDC from the setting window of Android...was rushing and not wearing my glasses...mot a good mix :)

"Hey I need practice installing Linux ....whats one more time!

I've downloaded bVNC ..will give it a try but think the problem is on the Linux Deploy side as it looks very familiar to the grey screen we would get on a unix system when the window environment didn't load due to password issues or similar (been ages so I don't have a clear memory of what caused it)

Will keep you all posted."

Was stuck on my boat yesterday due to strong northeasterly. Anchorage is exposed from that direction. Waves discourage kayaking to shore & back + had to do anchor watch. In case you don't know already android has apps that start themselves, running in the background following your every action for marketing purposes and even potentially more. They gobble memory, so what you're experiencing may be related. I recommend you download two apps from Google Play. Startup Manager Free and Advanced Task Killer. T heir titles pretty much describe their function. After you've brought running and self starting apps under control the issue may resolve. But hey, the more experience you have the better, eh?

Finally, once you've got linux installed run apt-get update. Then, apt-get upgrade.

I think I've made a bit of a mess of the Linux install. What is the best way to remove everything and start fresh?

I tried to do a re install of linux deploy but its not a happy camper and didn't fix issue and made it worse..no apt-get among other issues.

Time to roll back and do a fresh install me thinks.

BTW I've been using my cedar strip kayak as a tender too...very tricky doing an exit onto my tri....without swimming ;)

I think I've made a bit of a mess of the Linux install. What is the best way to remove everything and start fresh?

I tried to do a re install of linux deploy but its not a happy camper and didn't fix issue and made it worse..no apt-get among other issues.

Time to roll back and do a fresh install me thinks.

BTW I've been using my cedar strip kayak as a tender too...very tricky doing an exit onto my tri....without swimming.

If you're going to go with the armhf install again, back up you're edited CmakeCache.txt file on the /sdcard. Saves having to do that over again. But, run your cmake command to first error before copying the file back into /home/android/Download/OpenCPN/build. It will overwrite the new CmakeCache.txt file. Omit this step if you are going with a arm install.

Then tap on the three vertical dots, top right of Linux Deploy. In Settings - 'Remove ENV'. Then to make sure you're starting from the bottom locate the linux.img file on the /sdcard and delete. Do a new system install using Linux Deploy.

Instruction for installing OpenCPN on an android device in a linux chroot environment is here: http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193/

Done right it's mostly a simple copy and paste process using android applications easily downloaded from Google Play..

Ok after a few false starts I've got OpenCPN working again on my Sony tablet. Next step is to try and get it to use the internal GPS (tubogps loaded but no joy as yet) and install a subset of the worldwide cm93 charts to save on space.

BTW armhf install went without a hitch this time. I think the issue before was that I ha d done a normal arm install first and I needed to start from a clean install. Ie I made my own issues.

I'd agree that the process is fairly straight forward....but not for the feint of heart. Like armido said I'm gaining new skills at the same time :-P

Yeah!! finally got there in the end.

GPS share WIFI is what works for me on the Sony. I did need to change the ip address from that shown in the documentation

I also turn wifi off in the tablet settings as it seemed to be causing the app to drop in and out. (wifi is not needed in this application and chews up battery life anyway) and also deselectd use WIFI hot spot in the share gps app.

I may still have memory issues as I have had the tablet reboot or go really slow when running OpenCPN. particularly doesn't like me exiting the program and restarting withing akRDC. Will play with bVNC to see how I go in that environment.

OK now for a user question.... can you have scroll buttons within openCPN to better navigate around the maps? Would really like the ability to drag (I just figured the drag out...geez I'm a nooob) and scroll zoom but not sure how this is done with a touchscreen inside a VNC window...ie i just move around the VNC desktop not the OpenCPN app.

Not quite 100% there yet (are we ever?) but along way down the road and very happy chappy. Thanks again armido

You want tits? Here's some tits for ya!

64 replies and no tits. You people are just not keeping up the brand.

post-64722-0-22874500-1385923950_thumb.jpg

post-64722-0-77605800-1385923969_thumb.jpg

Did you download Startup Manager Free and Open Advanced Task Killer from Google Play? You need them to control android apps that start on boot or anytime whether you will use them or not. Gobbles memory. bVNC has the pinch and zoom feature. Use the+ and - buttons in akRDC. You can make feature requests over at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Share GPS settings and staying with the effort!

Yeah!! finally got there in the end.

GPS share WIFI is what works for me on the Sony. I did need to change the ip address from that shown in the documentation

I also turn wifi off in the tablet settings as it seemed to be causing the app to drop in and out. (wifi is not needed in this application and chews up battery life anyway) and also deselectd use WIFI hot spot in the share gps app.

I may still have memory issues as I have had the tablet reboot or go really slow when running OpenCPN. particularly doesn't like me exiting the program and restarting withing akRDC. Will play with bVNC to see how I go in that environment.

OK now for a user question.... can you have scroll buttons within openCPN to better navigate around the maps? Would really like the ability to drag (I just figured the drag out...geez I'm a nooob) and scroll zoom but not sure how this is done with a touchscreen inside a VNC window...ie i just move around the VNC desktop not the OpenCPN app.

Not quite 100% there yet (are we ever?) but along way down the road and very happy chappy. Thanks again armido

Regarding built in gps usage with OpenCPN. My experience is WiFi tether must be enabled in GPS Share WiFi. Settings in OpenCPN, Type=network; dataport=12776; tcp; address=localhost

Correction,

With 'Use Wifi Hotspot' disabled in GPS Share 'settings' as Try Flying said - gps works using in OpenCPN. Go figger. :rolleyes:

Regarding built in gps usage with OpenCPN. My experience is WiFi tether must be enabled in GPS Share WiFi. Settings in OpenCPN, Type=network; dataport=12776; tcp; address=localhost

I did download those startup apps but at this stage am still unsure what I should and should not disable.

I will think about some suggestions and post them in theforum (once I remember my password :-S)

As a start I was gojng to try and edit the style.xml (buggered if I can find it so far..any ideas?) to see if I can increase the size of the toolbar buttons but would really like a zoom scrollbar or be able to use pinch zoom within opencpn when the window is active. I'm using bVNC but mave yet to figure out how to get fn keys.

Cheers

I did download those startup apps but at this stage am still unsure what I should and should not disable.

I will think about some suggestions and post them in theforum (once I remember my password :-S)

As a start I was gojng to try and edit the style.xml (buggered if I can find it so far..any ideas?) to see if I can increase the size of the toolbar buttons but would really like a zoom scrollbar or be able to use pinch zoom within opencpn when the window is active. I'm using bVNC but mave yet to figure out how to get fn keys.

Cheers

If you have not already downloaded 'Hacker's Keyboard" from Google Play you're shooting yourself in the foot. Once downloaded and installed click on the Hacker's Keyboard desktop icon. Make it the default keyboard. Do the same in the Android Settings module under "Language and Input".

In bVNC Free you can select from different settings inclucing preferred mouse actions. The convention lately in applications is to have three vertical dots for accessing the settings. The mouse actions are accessed by clicking on the "Input Mode". Experiment with them all, then settle on the one you like best. Also, be aware the keyboard is enabled by touching the screen. When touched you'll see an image that looks sort of like a keyboard at the right side of the screen. Tap on that and the keyboard comes up. Also, to get a right mouse key action/menu touch the screen with your index finger upon the object or location you wish to act upon. While doing so tap with the middle finger. Should raise menues normally accessed by using the right mouse key. To "scroll" in OpenCPN, you tap to one side or the other of where you want the chart to go. Unfortunately, it does not work like on a P.C.. Generally, you'll discover zooming out enables you to find the specific location you want centered on the screen faster. Tap there, then zoom in if need be. When creating a route, zoom out to a point were your initial departure and final destination are visible. Drop your first waypoint near the departure point then a second waypoint at your destination. Then you can work at one end or the other by zooming in, inserting and dragging waypoints to their desired location. Check the entire route for possible hazards and adjust the dtk accordingly.

In Startup Manager you can disable any "user" application. The only apps I allow to load are Google Play Services (notifies of updates), Startup Manager, and Advanced Task Killer. Ironically the "+" means they are disabled. "-" means they are enabled. You can either long press on the app name to get a pop up menu for that item. Or, you can simply tap on the "+" or "-" to toggle the value.

In the 'system" category I enable all but "Email", "Messaging", "Talk" and "Gallery". Basically your guide as to what is enabled or disabled is determined by asking the question, am I using the app? If it is a system app and you don't know what it does, leave it enabled. Simple.

With Advanced Task Killer in settings select "Auto Start", "Show Notification", "Auto Kill Notice". In the Auto Kill Level select "Crazy". Auto Kill Frequency "Every Half Hour." Assign a value to the other settings that suits you.

You win the prize for being the most determined follower of the OpenCPN on android project!

I brought a post by Try Flying over from CF in case there are any readers who know how his wish can be fulfilled. This will be particularly helpful fo owners of newer high resolution tablets like the Xperia. Also, I believe there may be VNC viewers available that provide these features and more. However they won't be free. bVNC Free has pinch & zoom. Can't get much friendlier than that. And, it is easy to use pinch & zoom to enlarge any menu icon, tap & zoom out.

"As a feature request/idea would it be possible to :

a/ have a style setup that increases the toolbars size (200%) for use on tablets
b/ have a more user friendly way of changing zoom on a touchscreen tablet ...maybe a slider bar?

Thanks

Mark"
OpenCPN installed on a Sony Xperia 10.1"tablet.

I've started to experiment with making a custom style on the pc and once I like it I'll post it. I had a quick look on the tablet but haven't found the styles.xml directory yet (i'm a noob at navigating inside the tablet file structure so it might take me some time) So far I just blew up the png image size 200% and edited the style.xml to reflect the new coordinates of the icons. I like the big Toolbar icons but not sure if I need or want all the other ones increased in size.

When looking for the opencpn installed directory what is the full path I should be searching in say FX file manager?

Cheers

OpenCPN installs in /usr/share/opencpn. You're configuration files are in /home/android/.opencpn The opencpn.log file is in /home/android Stuff shared by xfce programs like icons and such is in /usr/share So search for styles.xml using FX File manager after you've navigated to /usr/share You'll probably see all files with the extension .xml display, not only styles.xml.

I've started to experiment with making a custom style on the pc and once I like it I'll post it. I had a quick look on the tablet but haven't found the styles.xml directory yet (i'm a noob at navigating inside the tablet file structure so it might take me some time) So far I just blew up the png image size 200% and edited the style.xml to reflect the new coordinates of the icons. I like the big Toolbar icons but not sure if I need or want all the other ones increased in size.

When looking for the opencpn installed directory what is the full path I should be searching in say FX file manager?

Cheers

The only way I've been able to find those directories and files is to mount the image and access it via bVMC where I can find the files I need to edit or replace in usr/share/opencpn/uidata

Unable to find this in FX or with the tablet connected to the PC....also don't have an xml editor installed or gimp (or similar) software on the tablet..I think the following will be the easier route;

As I have the external sd card mounted I will transfer my edited files to it (from the PC) then move them from there into the above directory from within bVMC file manager

Have you downloaded and installed the Terminal Emulator from Google Play? You don't need to start Linux Deploy in order to mount the Linux partitions. Nor do you have to use a vnc viewer. But, you must mount them before the files can be accessed. Use Terminal Emulator for this. 'su', /data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell' Then use FX to do everything. Search, edit, rename, copy, move, change permissions, etc. You can accomplish nigh everything you can do on a p.c., except perhaps edit images easily. There are image editing programs available on Google Play though.

A file system like /.opencpn is hidden. Maybe this is what you are talking about when you say you can't find files. In this case just navigate to /.opencpn with FX. Try searching in FX by location, e.g. /home You can also add variables (criteria). '/.' maybe.

The only way I've been able to find those directories and files is to mount the image and access it via bVMC where I can find the files I need to edit or replace in usr/share/opencpn/uidata

Unable to find this in FX or with the tablet connected to the PC....also don't have an xml editor installed or gimp (or similar) software on the tablet..I think the following will be the easier route;

As I have the external sd card mounted I will transfer my edited files to it (from the PC) then move them from there into the above directory from within bVMC file manager

yep to all the above. I should make a shortcut for the linuxdeploy shell string (from memory they were labels or logicals in VMS?)

Still no joy in FX though can't for the life of me find where I want to be thru using search or just point and clicking around the file system. Bit ironic that I'm installing/modifying navigation apps and I'm lost ;P

I'll try my work around for now and play a bit more with FX later.

Once opened tap on 'System Root' in FX. Navigate to /data/local/linux/mnt You will see the Linux file system.

To search a file system, for example /usr/share go there. Then tap on the tool icon in lower right corner of FX. Then tap on the search icon. Enter the file name you are searching for, then press enter. The search will only include /usr/share, not /home or /usr/lib, etc.

I use Jota+ to save often repeated commands, then copy from Jota+ into the terminal, browser or whatever...

yep to all the above. I should make a shortcut for the linuxdeploy shell string (from memory they were labels or logicals in VMS?)

Still no joy in FX though can't for the life of me find where I want to be thru using search or just point and clicking around the file system. Bit ironic that I'm installing/modifying navigation apps and I'm lost ;P

I'll try my work around for now and play a bit more with FX later.

/data/local/linux/mnt shows as empty (even with hidden shown) when in FX also files that I placed on the /mnt/sdcard1 are invisible to the pc and I can't copy and paste from there to the /uidata folder from within bVNC......so I did it via the terminal emulator under su with the mv command.

Must be a permissions thing that I can't see stuff and not allowed to copy paste withing FX. Long story short my styles_big.xml and related big_buttons.png work :) I still need to sort out all the icons (which I will leave at the original size) but toolbar looks good to me so far. Can't post files here but will over on CF once I've fixed the icons.

BTW from what I see /data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell doesn't start the VNC services so I still need to do that via linuxdeploy anyway for bVNC to work?

/data/local/linux/mnt shows as empty (even with hidden shown) when in FX also files that I placed on the /mnt/sdcard1 are invisible to the pc and I can't copy and paste from there to the /uidata folder from within bVNC......so I did it via the terminal emulator under su with the mv command.

Must be a permissions thing that I can't see stuff and not allowed to copy paste withing FX. Long story short my styles_big.xml and related big_buttons.png work :) I still need to sort out all the icons (which I will leave at the original size) but toolbar looks good to me so far. Can't post files here but will over on CF once I've fixed the icons.

BTW from what I see /data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell doesn't start the VNC services so I still need to do that via linuxdeploy anyway for bVNC to work?

Is 'SuperSu' installed on the tablet? If so, whenever you access your files with FX by tapping on the 'System (root)' icon a message should appear that FX has been given root access. Also, afterward if you tap on the tools icon at the bottom right corner of FX you can mount the system 'read-write'. Check that FX has been given root access authorization in 'SuperSu' by tapping on the 'SuperSu' desktop icon. Good that you know how to perform operations using the terminal. You're right. In order to use the viewer you must use Linux Deploy, unless you either manually issue the necessary command or write/call a script to start the server in the terminal. If you did this technically you wouldn't need Linux Deploy at all. Looking forward to seeing the results of your .xml and image edits. Folks who own newer high resolution tablets like your Xperia will thank you for it.

/data/local/linux/mnt shows as empty (even with hidden shown) when in FX also files that I placed on the /mnt/sdcard1 are invisible to the pc and I can't copy and paste from there to the /uidata folder from within bVNC......so I did it via the termin