glowmaster

Off Soundings Series and low pressure systems.

I love the Off Soundings series! I dig the whole thing. Even got a second in the multihull division 1 year! Seems very often it is timed with a potent low pressure and this Friday is no exception.

I dont like to take my little tri out there to Block in over 20-25. shit. just venting....

The rest of the fleet thrives in it.

I remember 1 trip over on Triceratops in one of these lows. scared the bejeebers out of me.

weather gurus?

Windfinder is forecasting 32 kts gusts to 38 at 11AM.

hopefully its raining.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

from weather.com

Fri: N winds 25 to 30 kt...diminishing to 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Showers.

Fri Night: NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt... Diminishing to 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt after midnight. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

Sat: NW winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming W 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 2 ft.

Sun: W winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming SW 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon and evening. Seas 1 to 2 ft. A chance of showers through the night.

Didn't a guy drown off Niantic some years back when the multi he was on turtled? I was on a J35 that year and while heading to the weather mark, we noticed the loose clevis pin with no cotter pin on the leeward upper when the blow started coming through. Dropped sails immediately and motored back to Greenport in horizontal, hard driving rain coming at us at 35 knots. The skipper wore his dive mask so he could keep his eyes open enough to see ahead.

'Ere now, I was sorry that I have to work a double shift this Friday, and not able partcipate on my normal PHRF ride this year... Maybe not so sorry now? ; - )

Yes, a sailor on an F31 got caught in the rig and drowned when the tri turtled. This is in the back of mind in many of the multi sailor fleet.

That low pressure system was before my time, but I did hear the story from those that were there.

That was the fall, the tri had decided not to race due to possible bad weather and was motoring home. We had rounded the weather mark put up the kite and saw a black wall of death. A cloud like I never seen, over the north fork. We look down the kite and before we knew it it was blowing 40 plus out of the north.

It was the remnants of some tropical depression that had gone inland in the carolinas, It hit long island sound and picked up a quick burst of strength.

The race was abandoned, South Ferry to Shelter stopped running and reported gusts over 70 MPH.

Nonsuch's Rule!

Was it the year when Jon left Stonington harbor in like 25 knots of wind with full main?

The rest of the fleet thrives in it.

I remember 1 trip over on Triceratops in one of these lows. scared the bejeebers out of me.

Just as long as the tent doesn't blow away...looks like a pretty typical Off Soundings

Looking at some varying forecasts, some make it look like racing is possible Friday...others not so much. I guess we'll find out how fast the system is moving tomorrow night or on Friday.

Looking forward to the next RC update this afternoon.

ANZ237-130300-
BLOCK ISLAND SOUND-
1150 AM EDT WED JUN 12 2013

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

.THIS AFTERNOON...NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT.
SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.
.TONIGHT...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT...BECOMING
N AROUND 5 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.
.THU...SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS
UP TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. RAIN. VSBY 1 NM OR
LESS.
.THU NIGHT...SE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT. PATCHY
FOG. RAIN. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.
.FRI...N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT... INCREASING TO
45 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT. RAIN.
.FRI NIGHT...NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A
CHANCE OF RAIN.
.SAT...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.
.SAT NIGHT...W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 2 FT.
.SUN...SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SEAS ARE REPORTED AS SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT...WHICH IS THE
AVERAGE OF THE HIGHEST THIRD OF THE WAVES. INDIVIDUAL WAVE
HEIGHTS MAY BE MORE THAN TWICE THE SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT.

Nonsuch weather maybe, GlowBoat F24 weather not so much....

Really! Do u really need to post this shit. Any retard with an I phone can look up what NOAA is saying.

And if u need SA to find out what the conditions r going to be for an event then get a set of golf clubs.

thanks Luca, just trying to have a discussion. Never mind.

most of the shit boxes in that fleet can actually take a blow like what's forecasted. It's the health of all the old farts on the boats you should worry about....

Really! Do u really need to post this shit. Any retard with an I phone can look up what NOAA is saying.

And if u need SA to find out what the conditions r going to be for an event then get a set of golf clubs.

retard says what?

Cane we plesae refraine from ussing theise uggley worde?

Forecast is dropping quickly, as is usually the case. You should still be vigilant, but it seems to be getting more manageable. Lets see what they say in the next update.

This is the forecast for BI Sound as of 5pm Wednesday:

Thu: E winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 ft. Rain. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Thu Night: E winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. Rain. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Fri: NE winds 20 to 25 kt...becoming N 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. Rain likely.

Fri Night: NW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft.

from the RC

Weather Update:

Wednesday, 6/12/2013, 2300

Forecast is improving somewhat. The race committee is still watching. The next update will be posted Thursday noonish.

That was the fall, the tri had decided not to race due to possible bad weather and was motoring home. We had rounded the weather mark put up the kite and saw a black wall of death. A cloud like I never seen, over the north fork. We look down the kite and before we knew it it was blowing 40 plus out of the north.

It was the remnants of some tropical depression that had gone inland in the carolinas, It hit long island sound and picked up a quick burst of strength.

The race was abandoned, South Ferry to Shelter stopped running and reported gusts over 70 MPH.

It was the remnants of Ivan. 2004(?). That was an eerie day. Looking back, there was a good clue that something bad was going to happen when the breeze died from ~15 to 2 knots. I think we saw 55 knots on our instruments that day.

Forecast doesn't look too bad now...

033.png

It was the remnants of Ivan. 2004(?). That was an eerie day. Looking back, there was a good clue that something bad was going to happen when the breeze died from ~15 to 2 knots. I think we saw 55 knots on our instruments that day.

Forecast doesn't look too bad now...

033.png

Take care of Luca Brasi for me. Make sure you have extra smokes and extra lighters.

Thursday, 6/13/2013, 1100

The race committee is evaluating options. Options include following the sailing instructions un-amended or amending them to allow for a later start. The next update will be posted early this afternoon

Thursday, 6/13/2013, 1100

The race committee is evaluating options. Options include following the sailing instructions un-amended or amending them to allow for a later start. The next update will be posted early this afternoon

Now this is helpful. Hope we can enjoy a nice safe race out to block.

This system is moving fast. It seems to be ahead of models.

Could it be far enough ahead in the morning to make the breeze somewhat more manageable?

Could it be far enough ahead in the morning to make the breeze somewhat more manageable?

Really? This is all you have to offer? Any retard csn listen to the weather on the 8 and find that out!

Really? This is all you have to offer? Any retard csn listen to the weather on the 8 and find that out!
:-)

I think a two hour shore side postponement would put everyone at ease and still have everyone getting into block before the sun sets and the wind dies.

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

well, it's 1730 and no further update. Funny idea of "early afternoon." Looks like this could be a lot of hype and turn into the more typical drifter, especially as the breeze goes NW and then SW. never trust a northerly.

The RC's mirrors the fleet, slow and old

I think a two hour shore side postponement would put everyone at ease and still have everyone getting into block before the sun sets and the wind dies.

looks like a 1 hour delay.

what is that large orange orb doing in the sky on a Off Soundings Friday?!?!?

I will start off by saying I totally hate Off Soundings and have for a long time. Quite frankly, the over serving of the participants has got to stop. No where else are drinks mixed one handle to a one liter bottle of mixer in to a cooler. Then to see hundreds of participants attack the coolers like a bunch of rabid dogs makes me think this regatta needs a complete overhaul.

With no disrespect to the deceased, I bet this feeding frenzy was a major contributing factor in to the death last weekend. Perhaps this is the wake up call needed to control the uncontrolled alcohol consumption every spring and fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see the club sued over this death.

You can tell me to eff off, go away, call me a troll but you know I am right.

Well you were half-right. one hour shoreside and one hour on the water and then find your lane and go. We never got a chute up but managed to find a good lane on the edge of the pressure and keep the boat between 8 and 9 most of the way there, with occasional surfs into the mid 10's. I saw a lot of chute experiments that didn't work and maybe one that did. My crew threatened to mutiny if I even joked about setting the chute. Interesting drag race and yes, the sun was out by the time the flags - sans tent - went up. Overall it was an interesting weekend. Let's see what BIRW brings...

NDB, there were 3 or 4 Melges 32s, a GP26, Antrim 27, Elliott 770, Melges 24 and several tri's. not *all* of the fleet is old and slow.

so, a total minority makes the fleet not old.......

I will start off by saying I totally hate Off Soundings and have for a long time. Quite frankly, the over serving of the participants has got to stop. No where else are drinks mixed one handle to a one liter bottle of mixer in to a cooler. Then to see hundreds of participants attack the coolers like a bunch of rabid dogs makes me think this regatta needs a complete overhaul.

With no disrespect to the deceased, I bet this feeding frenzy was a major contributing factor in to the death last weekend. Perhaps this is the wake up call needed to control the uncontrolled alcohol consumption every spring and fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see the club sued over this death.

The racing event is great.

You're right about the way the parties go, but the lame part is the sailors becoming "rabid dogs" rather than being grownups about it. I was there, and I had plenty to drink, but I was civilized about it. Meanwhile a bunch of jackasses were turning the serving area into a mosh pit to see who could get the most dark n stormies fastest. If I couldn't see that most of the crowd was 30+, I would have guessed it was a bunch of 15-year-olds who had been unleashed on free booze.

So yeah... they've got to improve that part of the scene, and if anyone concludes that drinking at that event was part of the cause of Mark's death, they'll probably be legally forced to change it, but don't lose sight of the quality of the racing. You can always ditch the party and do something else if it continues to suck.

Well you were half-right. one hour shoreside and one hour on the water and then find your lane and go. We never got a chute up but managed to find a good lane on the edge of the pressure and keep the boat between 8 and 9 most of the way there, with occasional surfs into the mid 10's. I saw a lot of chute experiments that didn't work and maybe one that did. My crew threatened to mutiny if I even joked about setting the chute. Interesting drag race and yes, the sun was out by the time the flags - sans tent - went up. Overall it was an interesting weekend. Let's see what BIRW brings...

NDB, there were 3 or 4 Melges 32s, a GP26, Antrim 27, Elliott 770, Melges 24 and several tri's. not *all* of the fleet is old and slow.

so, a total minority makes the fleet not old.......

no, it makes the fleet not completely old and is a step in the right direction.

So a bunch of ADULTS decide to act like Frat boys and overserve themselves. But rather than holding them accountable for their actions you want to lay the blame on the Organizers? What a douch bag you are. And I find it hard to believe that this led to Marks death as the alcohol was shut off way before the sun set. If alcohol was involved do you want to blame the bars and resturants in Block for that? We are each responsible for ourselves and the sooner we hold ourselves accountable for that the better. Sometimes accidents do happen and trying to blame someone else is just assinine.

Sounds like I need to add this regatta to my wish list for 2014

Sounds like I need to add this regatta to my wish list for 2014

It's a great event. Probably one of my favorites. I hope it doesn't change one bit. I'm sure our friend and fellow sailor who tragically passed this weekend loved Off Soundings as it is...

Having been to a few sailing events in my short sailing career...the antics and drinking at Off Soundings is no rowdier or heavier than any other event. Any statement to the contrary is inaccurate.

New Dog Balls...you have an issue. I have attended hundreds of sailing events over the last forty odd years and the amount of alcohol present at Off Soundings is often less than at most events. Reality is that it is served differently but briefly. At most other events the booze flows just as freely and far longer than "under the Off Soundings tent". If you are lucky you may get two or tops three small drinks. Last I checked that does not make one a "rabid dog". As for the age of the club...yes it is older but show me ANY club that is not older than it was just a few years ago. The fact is that this is an expensive sport and for a person in their 20's or 30's to own a boat and spend 8 days a year over two weekends is cost prohibitive. If you do not like that fact then you could do one of two things. First you could shut up and not attend. Sounds to me like you are bitter since a lot of close friends that have been doing this for a long time are having fun and you do not fit in. Second you could promote youth participation and add to the club in a positive manner. I love this club and all it brings. I have friends that I have known for fifty years on my boat that i seldom see and enjoy the event due to that yet also see a need to bring in new but POSITIVE blood. Indeed I have volunteered to help do just that. Would you?

I find it humorous that when someone uses the word hate and names people rabid dogs on this site and THEN are called out to do something a little positive with their energy they do not respond. How incredibly sad we have become hiding behind a fake name just to spew venom for no reason. A lot of folks on this site should take a step back, reflect on how they behave, and then grow up. We are all human, nothing we do is perfect, but we sure should try to be kind and not hide while spewing juvenile anger for no apparant reason. If you do not like something maybe change your own attitude to help make it better in your own eyes.

........No where else are drinks mixed one handle to a one liter bottle of mixer in to a cooler................, call me a troll but you know I am right.

I worked the "bar" for several off soundings events, and that "one handle to one liter" is incorrect.

Mixers went in at least 3l of mixer to 1.5l booze. If you happened to be at the head of the line when a cooler was being refilled booze first, you got a stronger mix, but otherwise it was 2:1 ratio plus icemelt.

In my personal experience, a lot more alcohol is consumed before the party than is consumed during the party at OS.

You are a troll, and you're wrong.

Figment, you are both correct and incorrect. You are correct by saying that more alcohol is consumed before the party than during. I also believe that more is consumed after than during as well. As for the ratios...I find lately that the drinks are a tad watery but so be it. Both have NOTHING to do with the organization whatsoever and to blame it on the club is juvenile at best. The drinking at all sailing events is a PERSONAL decision...no-one is forcing you to drink at all. I will second Ryley's note that there is far more drinking at Race Week...not even close.

Thank you Ryley...way too many folks on these forums just bitch and moan for the hell of it. Saying something "sucks" is not productive at all and frankly is not explaining why you feel that way. Either zip it and go home or do something constructive to improve the event in your eyes so that you would like to attend. Being negative for the hell of it is childish. Take your balls and go home and let the rest of us play.

I liked this years spring off soundings hadn't done it for a while. we had a

nice race. too bad tent blew away..doug

Looking forward to it! I think I agreed to tend bar, that means I'm first in line, right?!

See y'all there!

Maybe booze shouldn't be first on the list for this event. Maybe there is some truth to the fact that most look forward to the drinking and sailing is second on the list.

And Block Island Race Week is sober, as is BBR, and damn near ever other regatta ever attended by anyone. Ever...

Perhaps a downwind start? SWEET! Don't get nearly enough of those!

And for those of you that scoff at the indulgence of rum drinks at the tent - NO BOOZE FOR YOU!!! TWO WEEKS!

i hear Off Soundings lets you pack in your own carrot and kale juice in to the tent.

See you all there on GlowBoat. Trailering down to Stonington tonight. Looking forward to it. Stop by and say Hi. We will be at Mitchells.

Good luck all!

ed

Looks like an awesome forecast. No snow or ice in the forecast :) Should be a nice downwind ride tomorrow and spectacular sailing in the bay Saturday.

Not thrilled that we're going back to shelter island but ok. with around 120 entries, that's 3x as many moorings as are available in Dering Harbor so I suspect that there will be a fair number of boats that still stay at Mitchell's. Once again, the class splits are insane. Since they can't seem to figure out that huge splits in the ratings actually affect the outcome of these races, I suspect this will be the end of our run at OS.

My class in the spring, H-2, ran from a low of 68 to us at 112 for a split of 44 seconds from top to bottom. For the fall, they've taken the Quest 30s and put them in H2 as well. Meanwhile, H-4, which has the boats that I and the J29s usually compete in has exactly 5 entries with an 18s split. Adding the J29 at 111 would increase the split to 28 seconds, still reasonable.

It won't matter anyway - with my luck we'll get SW 18-20 and we'll just get waterlined on the first day no matter what class we're in. :)

Ryley, I think you'll have a good race with the sprit boats in your class, should be a run ride for you tomorrow.

How were the parties? who got kicked out of SIYC for

throwing up on mrs Commodore? pix or video plz..

sorry i missed it, blame it on sleep deprivation

Anyone know the results? We got a first on Friday on GlowBoat, but left right after the finish to sail back to Stonington. We had a great ride home to Stonington covering 21 miles in 2 hours against a 1.5 knot current under chute. The speedo was in the low teens for most of the ride.

Got the mast down right at sunset, and had my little tri back home on Cape Cod by 10PM.

We had a blast this weekend. Thanks to Off Soundings, and the wristband lady for giving me 3 new ones so I didnt have to cross back on the ferry to get them off the boat.

Heard on the drink line "I do anything I can get away with." Told the guy I was glad he wasn't in my class, and he said he got caught barging badly at the start.

Best racing of the Summer for us.

Looks like an awesome forecast. No snow or ice in the forecast :) Should be a nice downwind ride tomorrow and spectacular sailing in the bay Saturday.

Not thrilled that we're going back to shelter island but ok. with around 120 entries, that's 3x as many moorings as are available in Dering Harbor so I suspect that there will be a fair number of boats that still stay at Mitchell's. Once again, the class splits are insane. Since they can't seem to figure out that huge splits in the ratings actually affect the outcome of these races, I suspect this will be the end of our run at OS.

My class in the spring, H-2, ran from a low of 68 to us at 112 for a split of 44 seconds from top to bottom. For the fall, they've taken the Quest 30s and put them in H2 as well. Meanwhile, H-4, which has the boats that I and the J29s usually compete in has exactly 5 entries with an 18s split. Adding the J29 at 111 would increase the split to 28 seconds, still reasonable.

It won't matter anyway - with my luck we'll get SW 18-20 and we'll just get waterlined on the first day no matter what class we're in. :)

Ryley, I think you'll have a good race with the sprit boats in your class, should be a run ride for you tomorrow.

Or... an 18 mile beat. Oh well, that's what is fun about OS, right? you never know what yer gonna get. We set the chute for 5 minutes on Friday just because I wanted to see the chute. Tough weekend for a sportboat.

Yeah who saw that coming...not me. I'd be OK not having to go up wind again for while...

"Or... an 18 mile beat. Oh well, that's what is fun about OS, right? you never know what yer gonna get. We set the chute for 5 minutes on Friday just because I wanted to see the chute. Tough weekend for a sportboat."

I guess that is why I found the chute ride home so refreshing. Way more wind than the downwind legs in the Bay. I steered mighty shittily downwind in the light winds. In need to work on that.

Wow, cool! GlowBoat wins Multihull division! This is the first regatta I have ever won. I have been working hard to get better. We won the second race by 13 seconds after 4 1/2 hours. that is a .07% difference. Close.

Nice way to end the season.

Hooligan took part of their keel off, like 4 feet of it, on the return home Sat. Happened at an unmarked rock off Little Gull. Several hurt, boat is out of the water, more to come....

and that's a relatively new keel right?

Not sure exactly about the keel, but there was a bunch of hull work being done around the keel 2 years ago. I remember seeing it out of the water during the Mudhead benefit regatta.

and that's a relatively new keel right?

Not sure exactly about the keel, but there was a bunch of hull work being done around the keel 2 years ago. I remember seeing it out of the water during the Mudhead benefit regatta.

yeah, its dry-sailed these days, AFAIK.

Boat is dry sailed b/c owner hates having to get bottomed cleaned every week over at FI. Also very good friends with yard manager.

Hull work was to dry out the core. Note, the boat is 25+ years old and has been raced hard and keel replaced from IMS thing to current (well ok, missing the lead part) keel.

Keel is a Britt Chance design and 10+ easily years old/ install.

Thank goodness is snapped where the stainless was bolted to the lead in the fin.

I know I've been harsh on Off Soundings, just glad no one was badly hurt or boat sunk. Too much of that going on with Uncontrollable Urge, Low Speed Chase, etc. Hell, even a little excitement post booze fest ;)

I saw that done to a 105 once.... they came into the slings at full speed with everyone bailing for their lives. Was there much water ingress in this case?

Wow, cool! GlowBoat wins Multihull division! This is the first regatta I have ever won. I have been working hard to get better. We won the second race by 13 seconds after 4 1/2 hours. that is a .07% difference. Close.

Nice job Ed. Between this and the last race at the Unlimited you finished the season strong!

Look forward to giving you some competition next season.

~Josh Parks

yeah, spoke to one of the crew this past weekend. sounds like a total loss. totally sucks.

hate to see one of the last remaining E42s go down.

ptMJSJU.gif

Someone is looking down upon you! Good to have you join the club!

And very much looking forward to a great weekend of racing with old friends!

I was sorry to hear of the loss of a sailor on Saturday. Heart attacks are the great equalizers. It sounds from the reports that the attempt to rescue and revive was valiant. Fair winds...

I was sorry to hear of the loss of a sailor on Saturday. Heart attacks are the great equalizers. It sounds from the reports that the attempt to rescue and revive was valiant. Fair winds...

two chase boats were on scene pretty quickly and the OS website says the sailor was on island within 4 minutes. sadly, not in time. fair winds, indeed...

well, friday looks the better day of the bunch. sunny and a high in the 70s? pretty sweet....

Calling for a northerly on Friday, could be a fun start!

Eastern bouy showing N15-20 at the moment. GODDAMMIT WHY AM I NOT THERE????

The ride home on Sunday might not be as much fun, but probably still worthwhile with proper hangover-management.

Any reports from the racing? I was asked to crew on Petrel, but unfortunately work must take priority. Love to here the goss?