glowmaster

Off Soundings Series and low pressure systems.

yeah, last year's saturday race was delayed by fog and little wind.

we made out well on Fri but can't claim to have planned it that way. anyone know how boat that caught on fire fared?

we made out well on Fri but can't claim to have planned it that way. anyone know how boat that caught on fire fared?

Whoa, how'd i miss that? Was that during the race? Scary! Hope all are ok.

yeah, about 1/3 of the way through the sequence on saturday. i think I heard it was an electrical fire.

Friday was a good day once the racing finally started, about 2 miles from 1BI. Saturday was odd, I was below getting beers during the delayed start then BAM! 20 kts!!!

Friday was a good day once the racing finally started, about 2 miles from 1BI. Saturday was odd, I was below getting beers during the delayed start then BAM! 20 kts!!!

AP would have been nice in that situation, but overall an excellent day to go around the island.

Can you put up an AP after two classes have started?

Yes, you can, but they were correct that it was not necessary by the rules. I personally would have considered giving a gap long enough for all of the boats that started to get away from the line, then hoisting. The problem is, there were quite a few boats in those first classes that only race in Off Soundings, so they may have gotten confused. A definite conundrum.

It would have been nice to have the flag up so there was a visual reference for the sequence to restart, but RC did the right thing.

It would have been nice to have the flag up so there was a visual reference for the sequence to restart, but RC did the right thing.

Plese macke sure they no you appressiatte theire effortes. :)

Plese macke sure they no you appressiatte theire effortes. :)

Oh, they do Snaggy. I go back a bit with the two guys on the radio(and others). Done RC, PC, and given some advice quite a few times with them. We had a chat about the weekend over mudslides at the Shoals on Saturday.

perfect weather for the GlowBoat team. I sailed double handed with a long time friend, Norm Farr, and we kicked ass in the multihull fleet.

I also served a nice Mount Gay and tonic as bartender Friday night, and hope some of you got my extra spiked drinks.

Now to fall.......

ed

perfect weather for the GlowBoat team. I sailed double handed with a long time friend, Norm Farr, and we kicked ass in the multihull fleet.

I also served a nice Mount Gay and tonic as bartender Friday night, and hope some of you got my extra spiked drinks.

Now to fall.......

ed

Post pics please!

So I thought I was planning far enough ahead for spring off soundings by calling to book rooms at the Narragansett Inn but come to find out they are sold out. The company that owns it now is offering me some rooms at a different place at $300/night like its peak season.

Can anyone suggest a place to go? need 5 beds.

So I thought I was planning far enough ahead for spring off soundings by calling to book rooms at the Narragansett Inn but come to find out they are sold out. The company that owns it now is offering me some rooms at a different place at $300/night like its peak season.

good luck. Lodging is always the most expensive part of this regatta. sending a pm.

I stayed at Champlins a few years ago. They had plenty of rooms, I think it was around $200

Ryley got me squared away. so we're all set with rooms. next step is get someone in Stonington harbor to install a nice hoist so I don't have to mess around with the ramp in Noank.

Dodson's does a pretty good job for a pretty reasonable price. my friend Greg used them for BIRW last year when he towed his Andrews up from the Ches.

pretty much

My ride got sold this winter. (new owner is a past OS Commodore, keeping the name)

We missed last Spring Off Soundings when the yard broke our 3 year old mast prior to stepping.

Our last Spring Off Soundings was 2014 and we were just getting to know the boat. Will actually miss "will we make Off Soundings" and the horror of making it.

My ride got sold this winter. (new owner is a past OS Commodore, keeping the name)

We missed last Spring Off Soundings when the yard broke our 3 year old mast prior to stepping.

Our last Spring Off Soundings was 2014 and we were just getting to know the boat. Will actually miss "will we make Off Soundings" and the horror of making it.

Mark your calendar Peter for the fall on "Details"!

who's up for this weekend?!?

Friday is looking liiiiiiiiiiught, picking up on Saturday with a system coming ion for the ride home Sunday.

Do you really trust the velocity predictions this far out? Current is going out out all day with low tide a little after 4. Should make getting through the Race very interesting if the predictions do pan out. Going to have to do more studying than usual for that transition.

Do you really trust the velocity predictions this far out? Current is going out out all day with low tide a little after 4. Should make getting through the Race very interesting if the predictions do pan out. Going to have to do more studying than usual for that transition.

no, but that's all I got at this point. Beats going through my work emails.

Anyone know of an app or website that shows currents? (other than that paper app - Eldridge)

Nevermind, just found a nifty feature on the Navionics app. See ya'll at the party!

no, but that's all I got at this point. Beats going through my work emails.

Good point.

Nevermind, just found a nifty feature on the Navionics app. See ya'll at the party!

Any idea how this compares to other Nav apps at the app store?

Not really, I use it mostly as a chart plotter of sorts. I have just now discovered it has tidal current information embedded in the charts, I still don't know how useful it will be. Going to find out when we go through the Race (or the Gut) on Friday though! I just downloaded SailGrib, I'll let you know how that is.

Not really, I use it mostly as a chart plotter of sorts. I have just now discovered it has tidal current information embedded in the charts, I still don't know how useful it will be. Going to find out when we go through the Race (or the Gut) on Friday though! I just downloaded SailGrib, I'll let you know how that is.

How do you access this feature?

So, probably worth the ten buck fee at the app store? Probably need a bigger screen than iPhone 5S to be useful on a boat......

So, probably worth the ten buck fee at the app store? Probably need a bigger screen than iPhone 5S to be useful on a boat......

I use it on my Galaxy 5 and on a 4 x 6" tablet. I think it is worth it, I use it mostly for transports, I dropped a few bucks and got a hand held Garmin for myself this past Christmas, I use that while racing;I have most of the ECSA marks programmed in and also some other way points. I found the tablet and phone died too quickly to keep the location setting on all of the time. Besides, as I understand, my phone and tablet aren't using GPS satellites, it's using cell signal triangulation which is shit when you are out of range. Bottom line - I thought it was well worth the $10 for what I used it for.

Interesting about the cell tower triangulation? I have a GPS ALTIMETER app, I believe it uses GPS, but maybe not?

You should try OpenCPN. I had Navionics for a little while and liked OpenCPN much better. You do have to download charts from NOAA, but you can do a lot more with it especially if you know how to program. It is open source based so you can play around with the different modules. I have not done so myself since I do not know how to program, but have seen what others have done. I can show it to you this weekend if you want.

who's up for this weekend?!?

Friday is looking liiiiiiiiiiught,

Yep. Pack extra waterballoons for the raft-up at Valiant.

Anyone using the free app Imray Charts? Just downloaded it, but haven't had the free time to mess with it yet.

You should try OpenCPN. I had Navionics for a little while and liked OpenCPN much better. You do have to download charts from NOAA, but you can do a lot more with it especially if you know how to program. It is open source based so you can play around with the different modules. I have not done so myself since I do not know how to program, but have seen what others have done. I can show it to you this weekend if you want.

I'll be sure to stop by. Are you guys bringing the Bird to Crockers Thursday?

Anyone using the free app Imray Charts? Just downloaded it, but haven't had the free time to mess with it yet.

I suspected there was a catch, when the app was free; they get 48 bucks apiece for charts!

I suspected there was a catch, when the app was free; they get 48 bucks apiece for charts!

That is crazy, Never had any upcharges with my apps.

I'll be sure to stop by. Are you guys bringing the Bird to Crockers Thursday?

It will be at Thamesport. Skipper is bringing it up there tomorrow morning.

looks like it might be 8kts at the start building to to 10-12. hoping for more!

see all around the crocks!

such good weather. could have used some more wind on Friday but man, it was fun.

only complaint about the weather was that we needed more cloudcover. A few guys at the party on saturday.... man could you take a half-step back? The heat radiating off your skin is singeing my eyebrows, thanks.

only complaint about the weather was that we needed more cloudcover. A few guys at the party on saturday.... man could you take a half-step back? The heat radiating off your skin is singeing my eyebrows, thanks.

I represent that statement! Had to be careful that the rum drinks didn't turn into flaming hurricanes.

I've seen forecasts saying anything from 5-10knts to 35 sustained gusting to 50. Seems like everyone has a different idea on how far west that low is going to drift.

looks like the low has dipped south and west in the latest models. could actually be a light one for Friday

Snaggy did you do this race last year?  We hated the SW ledge mark...ugh!

23 minutes ago, Bruce T. Shark said:

Snaggy did you do this race last year?  We hated the SW ledge mark...ugh!

Hatted is a strongue worde, it wassente the funneste thinge we evere didde.                       :)

On 6/6/2017 at 3:46 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Cane you saye rockitte ridde?                       :)

sorry, rockit won't be there this year.

Snowbird did not sail the course. NFW that they beat Freightrain on Saturday.  

I was on Freightrain. The 2 boats behind us were Caliente and Seraphim and there was no way they could have beat us by 1 hour.

9 hours ago, gullwinkle said:

I was on Freightrain. The 2 boats behind us were Caliente and Seraphim and there was no way they could have beat us by 1 hour

Didde you see they starte at ritte time?

It seems  the offsoundings handicapper and one of the PRO s can sail whatever course they want and still win .  This is complete bull shit and as very bad show of sportsmanship .  We are not even in the same class but it still pisses me off .  

The boats that did not sail the course need to withdraw, end of story. Letting this stand as currently scored is REALLY bad for the event.... 

They sailed the course posted and made the rest of us look dumb, but I heard one or more may have crossed start finish line while doing so

1 hour ago, mlachance said:

They sailed the course posted and made the rest of us look dumb, but I heard one or more may have crossed start finish line while doing so

Can you elaborate more - The finish line wasn't setup when the race started so don't understand what you are implying...

12 minutes ago, resalsail said:

Can you elaborate more - The finish line wasn't setup when the race started so don't understand what you are implying...

Youre ritte, theire wase no starte/finnsh line.  Starte and finnish wearre in sepparatte locationes.

I wasn't there, but the PC disallowed the RC's protest based on the "validity of the protest form??" Back in the 80s I would have put the OSC RC up against any in the country in terms of professionalism and skill. Now they can't file a protest properly? WTH?

Was this another of those armchair sea lawyer things where the RC wrote some convoluted RTI course that could be considered an out and back as long as you hit all the right marks and never actually went around the island? That happened a couple years ago, too. I'd love to know what they set for a course.

7 minutes ago, ryley said:

I wasn't there, but the PC disallowed the RC's protest based on the "validity of the protest form??" Back in the 80s I would have put the OSC RC up against any in the country in terms of professionalism and skill. Now they can't file a protest properly? WTH?

Was this another of those armchair sea lawyer things where the RC wrote some convoluted RTI course that could be considered an out and back as long as you hit all the right marks and never actually went around the island? That happened a couple years ago, too. I'd love to know what they set for a course.

Course was W,4,B.

Why don't someone just ask them what course they sailed?

12 minutes ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

Course was W,4,B.

R/B on W?

13 minutes ago, ryley said:

R/B on W?

230 @ 2.0 miles.  Basically on the way to 4.  Wasn't really necessary.

The placement of W is somewhat irrelevant. 

If I were sailing from SW Point to 1BI I certainly wouldn't have sailed around the island to do so, it's a straight line from SW Point to 1BI, no land interference. Sailing around the island to the east is a lot of extra distance...

IF the RC wanted an around the island race the course should have been W,4,5,B or something of the sort with a mark to the east of the island. 

Sounds like there were two smart boats that that sailed the proper course much better than the others and a few are angry that they took the "long way 'round" for no reason. 

Good on the smart boats, more time for mudslides. 

Just now, USA389 said:

Sounds like there were two smart boats that that sailed the proper course much better than the others and a few are angry that they took the "long way 'round" for no reason. 

Good on the smart boats, more time for mudslides.

wiche boate wearre you on?

13 minutes ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

Course was W,4,B.

Oh yeah, of course. This is all solved with a drop mark at the SE corner of the island, but that course basically begs you to go the southwest corner, go straight back to 1bi, and finish. Not sure how you square passing N2 and C7 offshore since the SI's say "shall," but I will say that this kind of lawyering a course that has historically been RTI is a pretty douche move, especially by veteran OSC sailors. too bad no one knew how to file a valid protest.

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

wiche boate wearre you on?

I was sailing in Newport. Sad to miss Off Soundings. Looking forward to next year though!

10.4. All boats shall pass off shore of the following government buoys: Southwest Pt. Bell 6, Black Rock Pt. Nun 2, and Clay Head Can 7.

Not the first time we realized that insisted on all the way around. There used to be one more over a rock on the east side.

Edit: Ryley said it.

1 minute ago, ryley said:

Oh yeah, of course. This is all solved with a drop mark at the SE corner of the island, but that course basically begs you to go the southwest corner, go straight back to 1bi, and finish. Not sure how you square passing N2 and C7 offshore since the SI's say "shall," but I will say that this kind of lawyering a course that has historically been RTI is a pretty douche move, especially by veteran OSC sailors. too bad no one knew how to file a valid protest.

Offshore would imply not cutting between the mark and land....not sure if that requires you to actually round them though...

1 minute ago, USA389 said:

I was sailing in Newport. Sad to miss Off Soundings. Looking forward to next year though!

Sorrey, You sonded licke somone frome one thoise boattes.  Howe wase the winde in Niewport?

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Sorrey, You sonded licke somone frome one thoise boattes.  Howe wase the winde in Niewport?

Perfect. 12-18 all weekend.