glowmaster

Off Soundings Series and low pressure systems.

8 hours ago, Ret. B52 Pilot said:

So, in a world where Block Island didn't exist and the race committee posted a course with just those marks - what course would you sail? 

I'd wonder why there were marks that far off shore and why the RC would send us out there with no place to buy a mudslide afterwards.

3 hours ago, boxertwin said:

I'm pretty sure the radio course announcement did refer to this being a "counterclockwise around the Island race". OK not quite 100%. Yes, the W mark made zero sense. Yes, the course posted was ambiguous for sure. But one of the 3 skippers who decided to sail a 9 mile shorter course than everyone else was the OS Club "Measurer". I would have expected that as a Club Official he would have contacted the committee to point out this course  problem and not made the decision to knowingly allow this mess to happen. This is an insult by the skipper in question (AGAIN A CLUB OFFICIAL) to 100 other boat's skippers and over 500 race participants. By the way, check out the RC blog comment posted on Yachtscoring.com......

Poor sportsmanship is not good for a sport suffering from diminishing participation. Way less so by an official of the Sponsor Club. Time to make this right and for 3 skippers to withdraw.

First, radio communications are a courtesy, not a requirement.  Not sure why a measurer would be held to a higher standard than any other competitor or even a previous PRO (or co-PRO) .  There were 3 boats that didn't go around the island, but sailed the proper course. Not any of the 3 skippers in question's fault that no one else thought about it.  It was the tactician of at least 1 of the boats that realized about 5 seconds after the course was posted that around the island wasn't necessary with the course on the board.  The PRO was warned about the issue at least 10 minutes before any gun sounded.  The response was, "Sail whatever course you want, we'll score you." Around the island is fun, not so much in 4 knots of breeze.

As a previous PRO in other events myself, I do hold RCs to a high standard.  It pisses me off when RCs, especially when as established as OSC, make mistakes like what happened on Saturday.

Those that are questioning the integrity of at least one (1!!!) of the skippers (as an "official") obviously either do not know him or are total bullshitters when you talk to him in person.  One of the most honest and fair guys I know.

14 minutes ago, ryley said:

I'd wonder why there were marks that far off shore and why the RC would send us out there with no place to buy a mudslide afterwards.

Pillote ist askeng us tio suspende dissbeliefe foura sertaine verssione of truthe. 

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

Pillote ist askeng us tio suspende dissbeliefe foura sertaine verssione of truthe. 

And nowe snowing guye to.                    :)

WOW I am really surprised by the people that are not applauding the boats that sailed the course posted.  I say BRAVO to them.  Was there anything posted on the course board that said 'around the island'?  You should all know by now that radio announcements are courtesy only and hold NO bearing on racing or the rules  As to the spirit of the bla bla bla - are you kidding me.  There is no 'spirit of the rules' these days, but it sure sounds nice as a cover up for your own fuck-ups.  Wonder what your posts would be if you had been smart enough to actually sail the course posted.  As for the 'Club Officials' in a post above - Once the gun goes off they are competitors.  Period.  And hearing that the RC was informed about the possible conflict ahead of time........sucks to be them right now.  I only hope that the protest committee does the correct thing and disallows the protest and lets the scores stand. 

39 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

WOW I am really surprised by the people that are not applauding the boats that sailed the course posted.  I say BRAVO to them.  Was there anything posted on the course board that said 'around the island'?  You should all know by now that radio announcements are courtesy only and hold NO bearing on racing or the rules  As to the spirit of the bla bla bla - are you kidding me.  There is no 'spirit of the rules' these days, but it sure sounds nice as a cover up for your own fuck-ups.  Wonder what your posts would be if you had been smart enough to actually sail the course posted.  As for the 'Club Officials' in a post above - Once the gun goes off they are competitors.  Period.  And hearing that the RC was informed about the possible conflict ahead of time........sucks to be them right now.  I only hope that the protest committee does the correct thing and disallows the protest and lets the scores stand. 

The race was announced as an Around the Island Race and listed as a course distance of 18 miles.  If you want to take a sea lawyer approach and say "I sailed the course listed", good luck with that.  If that is the way people want to sail and win then they are not sportsman; they are unscrupulous, cowardly and dishonest.  Hopefully they skippers that made the decision to sail that course withdraw, failing that I hope the PC tosses them all.

The race was announced in the NOR. The course was announced by the RC on the course board per the SIs as indicated earlier on this thread. I know all three skippers involved (and many of their crews) and you will not meet a better group of Corinthian sailors. I applaud them (again)

4 minutes ago, mlachance said:

The race was announced in the NOR. The course was announced by the RC on the course board per the SIs as indicated earlier on this thread. I know all three skippers involved (and many of their crews) and you will not meet a better group of Corinthian sailors. I applaud them (again)

No dog in the fight.  Is it possible they were influenced by less Corinthian crew?

This was an unintended race organization error, not a competitor error or even a competitor "bending" the rules to their advantage.  No sailor should hold anyone else in contempt or in admiration for how they sailed the course.  It is what it is.  Some competitors read the course and the sailing instructions one way, and sailed it that way.  They were correct.  Some competitors read the course and the history of the race, and sailed it that way.  They were also correct.

DQ'ing boats over stuff like this does no good for the sport.  Rather this should (and to some degree already has) trigger a conversation about a poorly constructed notice of race and sailing instructions.

The RC and OA should let the results stand, but should send a letter to all explaining the ambiguity, while taking responsibility for the ambiguity.  And should fix the language for the next event.

While the rest of us should stop besmirching one another, and move on.

This is a tale to be discussed at the bar, over a friendly drink.  Not one to be discussed in a protest room.  And certainly not one where someone's reputation should be at risk.  Either as an accuser or as an accused.

This is just poor sportsmanship, if there was an error by the RC, point it out. Do not take advantage of it.  I agree most of these sailors are good people. I know all involved. It's a round island race and has been that way many years. For those who took advantage of the RCs mistake!!! Let them sit out the fall series. The founding members put in the original charter "good  sportsmanship" for a reason. The founding members have written books about this race because this race means a lot to many people. You want to play games, go sail somewhere else.  

1 hour ago, sailforbeer said:

This was an unintended race organization error, not a competitor error or even a competitor "bending" the rules to their advantage.  No sailor should hold anyone else in contempt or in admiration for how they sailed the course.  It is what it is.  Some competitors read the course and the sailing instructions one way, and sailed it that way.  They were correct.  Some competitors read the course and the history of the race, and sailed it that way.  They were also correct.

DQ'ing boats over stuff like this does no good for the sport.  Rather this should (and to some degree already has) trigger a conversation about a poorly constructed notice of race and sailing instructions.

The RC and OA should let the results stand, but should send a letter to all explaining the ambiguity, while taking responsibility for the ambiguity.  And should fix the language for the next event.

While the rest of us should stop besmirching one another, and move on.

This is a tale to be discussed at the bar, over a friendly drink.  Not one to be discussed in a protest room.  And certainly not one where someone's reputation should be at risk.  Either as an accuser or as an accused.

If the whiner's on this tread took your advise, what would they have to cry about?

Get over it, 3 boats sailed what was posted  and the rest sailed around the island, a beautiful island by the way. Good practice for race week.

Actually if you go to the NOR it states : ....races in the vicinity of Block Island on Saturday June 10th.    The boats did indeed sail in the vicinity of Block Island. 

SIs state that The courses will be displayed on the RC Signal Boat using a horizontal arrangement of mark symbols reading from left to right in the order of rounding. 

They then list marks.  And I believe that they listed 2 marks.  One off the SW end of the island and then 1BI. 

Unless I missed it - nowhere in the NOR or the SIs does it refer to 'Round the Island Race'  and there surely is none listed under courses. 

I also find it odd that the only protests from what these 3 boats did came from the RC.  Did no one in their class realize what they were doing and protest them if they thought it was so wrong?

I also find it funny one of the boats alerted the RC to what was posted and was told to race whatever course you want and we'll score you. 

Curious to know how you would feel if a boat from outside the area came to race.  They only have the NOR and the SIs. They check the official notice board and see no amendments.  They head out to the course and someone drops the handheld VHF overboard so can't hear any communication from the RC.  They race the way the 3 boats being protested race.  How would you see the protest going???????

T

20 minutes ago, Menace33 said:

This is just poor sportsmanship, if there was an error by the RC, point it out. Do not take advantage of it.  I agree most of these sailors are good people. I know all involved. It's a round island race and has been that way many years. For those who took advantage of the RCs mistake!!! Let them sit out the fall series. The founding members put in the original charter "good  sportsmanship" for a reason. The founding members have written books about this race because this race means a lot to many people. You want to play games, go sail somewhere else.  

But this is not poor sportsmanship.  They were doing what the RC told them to do.  They rounded the marks posted in the proper order and on the proper side. 

Sailing is a game, where the best and the brightest win.  Sounds like that is what happened here. 

When I look at the list of Marks in the SIs there are some on the Eastern side of Block Island.  Why were none of them used?????  Why are they even there if not to use for a round the island race???

3 hours ago, sailforbeer said:

DQ'ing boats over stuff like this does no good for the sport. 

I adgreede, DQing ist notte goode, the three skipperes shoud withraw.

Why withdraw - what did they do wrong?  They were just smarter than the rest and didn't assume anything.  And if they are to be believed one of them even alerted the RC to the error and RC decided to not correct.  Bad RC if  you ask me and they shouldn't penalize the competitors for it.   

What did the racing boats do wrong. 

I know what the RC did wrong, and it could have been resolved by adding Mark 5 into the course after their course posted was questioned. 
It really is as simple as that.

Do not think that these three were the only ones to realize you could sail the course this way. We realized it immediately when we read the course board.  We hadn't heard the announcement.  We hailed other boats in our class who had heard the announcement and we all agreed we should go around the Island. It really isn't much of a race if you don't sail the same course.  Now if the lead boat in our class had peeled off and headed back down the west side of the island, I am not sure what I would have done, but I was watching for it.

So now Yachtscoring is showing that the protest by the Race Committee against 2 of the boats has been dropped.  But 1 of the boats shows a scoring penalty taking them out of 1st place.  The other one is still in 1st place.  WTF.  And the 3rd still has a protest showing reopened.

Boy do I see at least 1 Moosehead coming their way this fall????

5 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

So now Yachtscoring is showing that the protest by the Race Committee against 2 of the boats has been dropped.  But 1 of the boats shows a scoring penalty taking them out of 1st place.  The other one is still in 1st place.  WTF.  And the 3rd still has a protest showing reopened.

I believe that's because the boat with the open protest apparently sailed through the start line while going back up to 1BI

47 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

Dose Moosheads covere aneythig beyonde LIS?

44 minutes ago, bloodshot said:

I believe that's because the boat with the open protest apparently sailed through the start finnishe line while going back up to 1BI

DSQ?

25 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

So how did one of the boats get a scoring penalty?

On that, I have no idea

The SI's may have been off.  There was a legal loophole, and a few boats did very well by it.

I can't believe you folks think your cleverness makes you better sailors.

I agree the SI's were wanting, but after 80 fucking years we have people challenging around the island?

I can not imagine the owner of Snowbird taking a pickle dish for that win.  He's a great man surrounded by ass holes

2 hours ago, Gone Drinking said:

So how did one of the boats get a scoring penalty?

I believe that took arbitration. Which would be the right thing to do in this situation. Not wrong not right.

2 hours ago, Regatta Dog said:

The SI's may have been off.  There was a legal loophole, and a few boats did very well by it.

I agree the SI's were wanting, but after 80 fucking years we have people challenging around the island?

I can not imagine the owner of Snowbird taking a pickle dish for that win.  He's a great man surrounded by ass holes

PVM is a great guy, surrounded by ass holes.

Snowbird won.  Good for you.  I look forward to Snowbird ECSA acceptance speech from PVM.

You won.  Well done!  You guys kicked so much ass!

You have ......fuck you  both..

You have no idea.  You have no idea how the two of you are silly people.  You have no idea.  No idea how you embrace stupid. 

Edited by B.J. Porter
Remove names

1 minute ago, Regatta Dog said:

Sorry..  The bitch is my dog.  Cujo is my dog.

If ANYONE FUCKS me up, she will kill you.   . 

13 hours ago, SPECTRE said:

snow guy 

Do you feel that you won that race ? 

We sailed the following course - W, 4, B - what course did you sail? 

26 minutes ago, Regatta Dog said:

PVM is a great guy, surrounded by ass holes.

Snowbird won.  Good for you.  I look forward to Snowbird ECSA acceptance speech from PVM.

You won.  Well done!  You guys kicked so much ass!

You have ......fuck you  both..

You have no idea.  You have no idea how the two of you are silly people.  You have no idea, Dan.  No idea how you embrace stupid. 

And you're a bitter, angry drunk who is obviously still harboring a deep resentment for getting kicked off the boat years ago. Get over it, dude.

This ridiculous post riddled with insults coming from a member of the Race Committee is a disgrace.  

2 hours ago, Regatta Dog said:

My brorthere, the sportte needes you..... in isttes direste houres                    :)

23 minutes ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

And you're a bitter, angry drunk who is obviously still harboring a deep resentment for getting kicked off the boat years ago. Get over it, dude.

This ridiculous post riddled with insults coming from a member of the Race Committee is a disgrace.  

Liffe goese on, and yette you do notte growe.  The prombleme ressides withe you.

23 minutes ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

Liffe goese on, and yette you do notte growe.  The prombleme ressides withe you.

1 hour ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

Imagine a world where a simple dick-head like you pretended to be so ***.  I love PVM, and fuck you.

Keep pretending, fuck nut.

17 minutes ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

That's correct and the only reason.  There was confusion as the RC did not have an orange flag displayed, so not sure if they were on station as a "finish".  The main concern at the time was honoring the nun at the end of the channel.  Apparently no one actually finished for the whole weekend as the SIs indicated the finish is between and orange flag and mark "K".  The orange flag was blown out at the start of racing on Friday.  The replacement was blue.  There wasn't an amendment on Saturday to indicate the change.

Interestingly, the RC dropped the protests against both boats after Snow Bird took the scoring penalty.  Maybe it was to prevent it from going to the room so the whole story came out.

That ist BS and you no it.  You, Frank, and Jimlette Guyr cane go sucke it.  Carre to brigge up anney orthere sockes to disscusse it?

:)

30 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

That ist BS and you no it.  You, Frank, and Jimlette Guyr cane go sucke it.  Carre to brigge up anney orthere sockes to disscusse it?

:)

If you were not there, please exit stage left!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT_6eRqbzUAhUIOT4KHa9HBPcQ3ywIJzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dk4qFxTTi8q0&usg=AFQjCNHbYOOYYgaAPRfxlekwKVMKhEKKDg

3 hours ago, Regatta Dog said:

A commonley helled belieffe Mr. Dogge....                 :)

10 hours ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

That's correct and the only reason.  There was confusion as the RC did not have an orange flag displayed, so not sure if they were on station as a "finish".  The main concern at the time was honoring the nun at the end of the channel.  Apparently no one actually finished for the whole weekend as the SIs indicated the finish is between and orange flag and mark "K".  The orange flag was blown out at the start of racing on Friday.  The replacement was blue.  There wasn't an amendment on Saturday to indicate the change.

Interestingly, the RC dropped the protests against both boats after Snow Bird took the scoring penalty.  Maybe it was to prevent it from going to the room so the whole story came out.

All of this must have made for a good time drinking mudslides when the race was over.

Goo on you 3 for sailing the course you did, if the SI's and what was postedis that ucked up maybe they will fix it now.

Yeah even after 80 years.

But why 30% penalty - that is only available for infringement of Part 2 rules and 31.  None of which is what happened. 

Was there a fuck up - yes and the guilty party should apologize, learn from their mistakes and move one. 

I thought the Sailing instructions were relatively clear they state "9.3. Courses will be announced on VHF Ch. 72." When the race committee announced the course on the radio they said "Around the Island counterclockwise" 

If you did not round an island then you did not sail the course. I can see the confusion the race committee didn't say Block Island. I guess you really could have rounded the marks and any island. But if you did not round an island you did not sail the course as stated in the sailing instructions and the Race Committee on VHF ch. 72. 

Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Petera3 said:

I thought the Sailing instructions were relatively clear they state "9.3. Courses will be announced on VHF Ch. 72." When the race committee announced the course on the radio they said "Around the Island counterclockwise" 

If you did not round an island then you did not sail the course. I can see the confusion the race committee didn't say Block Island. I guess you really could have rounded the marks and any island. But if you did not round an island you did not sail the course as stated in the sailing instructions and the Race Committee on VHF ch. 72. 

Thoughts?

Well said newbie.

Heard off the boards the other day. The owner of Snow Bird said that he had advised the race committee on which course they should set and which marks they should put down.  

5 minutes ago, Ret. B52 Pilot said:

Heard off the boards the other day. The owner of Snow Bird said that he had advised the race committee on which course they should set and which marks they should put down.  

Knowing all the players I highly doubt that.  Actually would bet a shit load of money that it didn't happen.

15 hours ago, snowinstrctrguy said:

Why on earth did you agree to a scoring penalty???? Not sure why they accepted it either as it was not a Part 2 or RRS 31  issue. 

2 hours ago, musicman said:

Well said newbie.

And 9.1 says "THE COURSES 9.1. The courses will be displayed on the RC Signal Boat using a horizontal arrangement of mark symbols reading from left to right in the order of rounding".

The 3 boats sailed the posted course. Probably the best solution would have been for the other boats to have filed for redress on the basis that their finishing places were made significantly worse through no fault of their own because of a race committee error. That would have to have been filed in the normal protest time limit, so that ship has sailed.

8 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

What was the Race Committee error and how was it no fault of their own.

The race committee, according to what I've read here, posted one course and announced another. All of the boats sailed the course that they saw or heard but some boats sailed a much shorter course because the posted course allowed them to. As far as no fault of their own, the boats that sailed the longer course did so, not because they made an error. They did it because the RC called it the round the island race, even though rounding those 2 marks did not require a boat to actually sail around any island.

5 minutes ago, interested party said:

The race committee, according to what I've read here, posted one course and announced another. All of the boats sailed the course that they saw or heard but some boats sailed a much shorter course because the posted course allowed them to. As far as no fault of their own, the boats that sailed the longer course did so, not because they made an error. They did it because the RC called it the round the island race, even though rounding those 2 marks did not require a boat to actually sail around any island.

You can interpret it how would like but if what was posted is correct: 

that the RC announced (9.3) it as "around the island counter clockwise" and posted (9.1) W4B

To me that reads that I am to proceed to W, 4 and B while rounding the Island counter clockwise.

And radio announcements are courtesies they hold no weight in the rules.  The course posted is the only thing that matters.  There is no mention in the NOR or the SIs about an 'around the island' race.  What if my radio is not on or some reason stops working.  Part of the problem I have is that the Race Officer knows that.  They also were alerted to the fact that might be a problem so rather than change the course board to clarify they left what was posted.  The marks listed in the SIs have marks on the East side of the island but none were listed on the course board.  Why not?   If it is not in the rules it doesn't count.  It really is that plain and simple. 

Then does SI 9.3 hold no weight?  SI 9.1 & 9.3 both say that they will display and announce the course, respectively.  If you are on a boat with out a functioning radio I would think that you were in violation of safety rules.  Neither were contradictory.  

12 hours ago, unknown said:

Then does SI 9.3 hold no weight?  SI 9.1 & 9.3 both say that they will display and announce the course, respectively.  If you are on a boat with out a functioning radio I would think that you were in violation of safety rules.  Neither were contradictory.  

You can have a working VHF on board and not be monitoring it, since the course is posted on the board. Race committee boats use flags and course boards so that boats don't have to constantly monitor VHFs to know what is going on.

If you have a working VHF and are not monitoring it before your start, you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

You can try and justify the actions of those three boats all you want, it does not change the posted instructions for the regatta.

You are right it doesn't change the posted instructions for the race. Along with the rules. And the rules of sailing are clear that if it is not in writing it doesn't apply. Go read Case 32. 

I am guessing the judges agree as all 3 boats have had  their scores reinstated  and all protests have been withdrawn. 

That actually works directly against those three boats. 

Case 32 Summary:

A competitor is entitled to look exclusively to written

sailing instructions and to any written amendments for all

details relating to sailing the course.

SI 9.1 and 9.3

Course posted as per the SI on a board with marks listed.  Circled marks are to be rounded to stbd and uncircled ones leave to post.  The course posted was W 4 B which you could round all the marks properly if you went around the island.  You could also round all the marks properly without going around the island.  All boats sailed the course posted properly.  There is at least 1 mark on the east side of the island.  Why not include that mark?  Why no mention of an Around the Island race in the NOR or the SIs.  only mention is that the racing on Saturday will be in the vicinity of Block Island. 

I will agree that the RC announced that the race was around the island and read the course board.  However the SIs state that annoncements are for safety, convenience and courtesy. 

I have never seen results being changed so much.  Distance is still listed at 18NM but I guess that does not matter with the TOT calculation. I'll check back tomorrow.

Results changed again.  Boats that did not go around the island withdrew.  I check back tomorrow.

2 hours ago, gullwinkle said:

Results changed again.  Boats that did not go around the island withdrew.  I check back tomorrow.

2 of the 3 did.

Can't speak for the other boat, but the whiners won.  While what was done was legal, it wasn't worth the flack.  Especially from some industry guys that were likely pissed they got out smarted by some weekend warriors.  This is supposed to be fun.  It gets frustrating when people don't know the rules, but then preach like they know everything.

5 hours ago, gullwinkle said:

What about Gimlet II?

On 6/20/2017 at 11:28 AM, snowinstrctrguy said:

Can't speak for the other boat, but the whiners won. 

I thouht you withrew?

On 7/2/2017 at 8:44 PM, Snaggletooth said:

I thouht you withrew?

Exactly.  Wasn't worth the flack even though we were right.

Looks like Florence will make for some fun racing but shitty deliveries.   Who's in?

Ready for the shitty delivery, hope Friday and Saturday are fair.

What happened there today?

i’n usually on Freightrain.

The wind died as the back half of the fleet was fighting the current at 1BI.   Many DNFs and many others hung in there until the time limit expired.    By far the latest flags-up time at the party in recent memory.

Saturday was generally glorious, particularly on a boat that reaches well.   RC was quite emphatic that we sail AROUND the island.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, gullwinkle said:

What happened there today?

i’n usually on Freightrain.

It looks like someone was shooting fish in a barrel both daysB)  

On 6/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, Figment said:

The wind died as the back half of the fleet was fighting the current at 1BI.   Many DNFs and many others hung in there until the time limit expired.    By far the latest flags-up time at the party in recent memory.

Saturday was generally glorious, particularly on a boat that reaches well.   RC was quite emphatic that we sail AROUND the island.

Hopefully the RC learned a lesson and included a mark on the other side of the island rather than just being emphatic in their oral announcements.

41 minutes ago, interested party said:

Hopefully the RC learned a lesson and included a mark on the other side of the island rather than just being emphatic in their oral announcements.

Right. an oral announcement of something not in the NOR or SI means bubkus.