• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

Ok, I'll have a stab.

Some sorta horizontal withdrawable NACA shaped appendage on a control line that is not fully rove.

A lotta cabon fibre in the bottom structure with another shaped recepticle with nothin init......

Nah.......Haven't a bloody clue.......

Ok, how about a horizontal / lateral type blade appendage that works switchblade style when someone calls you up........ and gets real close...and ya don't wanna go......cop this.......!

Oh....never mind....

Cheers,

Jim ;)

at least some dss boat.

Quant 30(picture from Michi)--

post-30-0-31769500-1371210536_thumb.jpg

What are they trying to achieve there? I understand the basic DSS foil system, but can't say I've seen this twin foil system about.

Cheers

Mojo

Figured it was time for something at least a little difficult, right?

Obvioulsly some Hot Rod's handy work. Could be an prototype/mock of the FH's "lee boards". After all, it's moving day, right?!?!!!!!

What are they trying to achieve there? I understand the basic DSS foil system, but can't say I've seen this twin foil system about.

Cheers

Mojo

---------------------

The Quant 30 uses two independently retractable curved foils instead of one foil sliding across the boat:

post-30-0-20770700-1371258681_thumb.jpg

What's the advantage of 2 foils over 1? You're only going to use 1 at a time anyway. Seems like you're having to carry around the weight of an extra foil, but I'm sure there are advantages i'm missing.

Cheers

Mojo

What's the advantage of 2 foils over 1? You're only going to use 1 at a time anyway. Seems like you're having to carry around the weight of an extra foil, but I'm sure there are advantages i'm missing.

Cheers

Mojo

--------------------

With two foils you have more options-for instance, in heavy air both foils could be left out. They could be left out at any time there is a lot of manouvering in conditions that the foil helps and when they are out they have the full effective area. The Quant 28 foil was so long that it always stuck out on both sides(but only with partial area each side)-the retracting foils eliminate any foil from sticking out.

PIX-Q 28 with foil sticking out both sides-picture from Michi, PDF below with Q30DSS details:

post-30-0-87168600-1371301976_thumb.jpg

DSS-Quant 30.pdf

The real question is; "Why is it?" Looks like enhancement for displacement mode.... Dumb!

Could you...explain...your "theory"?

To whom doug? to you??? Just so they can be innundated with pages of cut and paste of content you didn't even author?

Fuck off you asshole. Stop trashing people on other sites behind their backs

You do realize that with behaviour like that, having you endorse a boat is like the kiss of death

Well I'm interested Doug, how do they keep the water out when heeled!

Got a couple of the straight board variety in Brisbane, and I have seen the boat in HK (think Frank Pong own's it) at pace and its pretty quick. But then again, I was sailing a Magic 25 and a tired one at that.

Can see the logic in the twin foils but not at functionality.

Love to get some ration conversation without 4 letter expletives !

JB

Well I'm interested Doug, how do they keep the water out when heeled!

Got a couple of the straight board variety in Brisbane, and I have seen the boat in HK (think Frank Pong own's it) at pace and its pretty quick. But then again, I was sailing a Magic 25 and a tired one at that.

Can see the logic in the twin foils but not at functionality.

Love to get some ration conversation without 4 letter expletives !

JB

I have no clue-I've only seen the pictures I posted here-but thats a good question. I would imagine that Hugh has dealt with it, though. As far as I know there are only BBB, Quant 28, the Mini and the soon to be Quant 30. Lots of improvement since BBB. And then a 100 footer and a 50 footer down the line. One thing I think they discovered is that they don't want to add DSS to a boat not specifically designed for it-make overs have too many problems, as I understand it.

Julian, you could e-mail Hugh and find the answer fairly quickly-just go to the site.......http://www.dynamicstabilitysystems.com/

I don't quite get what you're saying here?

PS- I think the Hong Kong boat was designed by Hugh but is not DSS

Yep, Hugh and I have had a ta e ta.

Have not seen the BNE boats in action, but as I commented the HK boat is impressive. No idea who designed it so I will take your word for it!

Re "Can see the logic in the twin foils but not at functionality".

I'm a big KISS believer, so the straight foil appears better on KISS.

But as Hugh commented the twin foil allows you to move the windward foil, while is not under load, and you can pre-deploy, so I get that also.

Very ingenious! May have to bludge a ride on the HK boat!

JB

Julian, check out this thread-some interesting info on the unmatched racing record of the Quant 28 DSS, and in post 1-Q28 video and in post 4 Q36 video-both outstanding. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=143595