• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over the past several weeks, I have written two articles for the Chicago Yacht Club related to weather resources for the upcoming Chicago-Mac.

The first article introduced a variety of resources for preparing your race forecast and can be found here -- http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Racing/SafetyThursdayWeatherResources-Part1.pdf

The second article discussed the challenges of monitoring changing weather conditions and updating your forecast after the start of the race -- http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Racing/MAC%20Safety%20Thursday%20Article-Part%202.pdf

In addition to the articles, I created a web page to organize the various weather-related resources in one spot -- http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Racing/MacResources.html

Mark

www.LakeErieWX.com

Forecasting ResourcesWeather Forecasting Seminars & PresentationsArticles & Case Studies

I'm looking for a ride back from Mackinac to Chicago. Anybody have room for another delivery crew? I have plenty of experience on boats from lasers to TP52, and a fair bit of spare time.

Anyone driving back from Mackinac this year? I took the bus back to Chicago last year, and while the beer helped, It still sucked. Anyone have a spot left in a car/van/SUV leaving Mackinac either Tuesday or Wednesday morning? I'm good company and I'll pitch in on gas/food or buy a few rounds back in Chicago.

Looking for a ride back to Chicago in someones private jet. I do not plan on kicking in on the fuel cost, but I'll roll up, and out, the red carpet for you. Also, it would be helpful if your jet is rather quick, I get rather cranky quickly, and can be quite a douchebag...

Must be off the island by Monday, I've got to be back in court by Tuesday, don't ask.

Looking for a ride back to Chicago in someones private jet. I do not plan on kicking in on the fuel cost, but I'll roll up, and out, the red carpet for you. Also, it would be helpful if your jet is rather quick, I get rather cranky quickly, and can be quite a douchebag...

Must be off the island by Monday, I've got to be back in court by Tuesday, don't ask.

Actually, that sounds way fuckin' better!

CAN be quite a douchebag???

Blubberboy, you are always welcome on my jet anytime...

I just have to get one first....

Who was on the cyc bus last year with the AC unit that broke near Cadillac MI? That was one sweltering ride

Who was on the cyc bus last year with the AC unit that broke near Cadillac MI? That was one sweltering ride

Exactly why I was asking around for alternatives. The AC couldn't possibly break 2 years in a row. Right?

There is a bus that leaves Mac City at 9:00 am that gets into Chicago @ 8:30 pm. Indian Trails operates one of the largest fleets of modern deluxe motor coaches in Michigan. Each is a 2005 or newer model with 29 to 56 passenger capacity. Wheelchair accessibility is available on full size and 29 passenger coaches. All are equipped with luxurious amenities, including:

• Custom adjustable seating with head, arm and foot rests
  • DVD players with color monitors
  • Climate Control
  • Wireless public address system
  • Individual climate and lighting controls
  • Cup holders
  • Overhead parcel racks
  • Sufficient storage space for luggage or equipment
  • Free WiFi (subject to signal availability)
  • Restrooms (not available on 29 passenger coaches)
  • 110V outlets throughout coach (not available on 29 passenger coaches)
  • Two types of GPS
  • 3-point safety restraints (not available on all models)

and how the heck is the lake ontario 300 saying its the longest freshwater race

dang cananadananadananandians

Especially since the Trans Stupid Superior is 326NM.... Which is truly the longest freshwater race. It runs every odd numbered year.

The Chicago Mac has to put in the disclaimer of "longest annual" race at 289NM (They claim 333 statute miles for some silly reason)

On Imedi we will be participating in the experimental Twitter- track. We will have a enhanced tracking device that will, along with standard tracking, allow us to post updates about what up on the tp52; no tactical info will be passed along, of course. The posts will go thru the CYC Mac race twitter account, right thru to the CYC Mac race Facebook page, to try to get those shoreside some real time boat observations.

I'm glad to participate, knowing that CYC is trying to keep an interactive fan base throughout the race. Being stuck not racing last year, I like what they are trying to do. I think 15 boats are involved this year.

Jim c.

Hey Shorty,

I see that the committee has bumped you up to Section 4 from Section 5. Did you complain too loudly about your dock assignment?

Hey Shorty,

I see that the committee has bumped you up to Section 4 from Section 5. Did you complain too loudly about your dock assignment?

Dang, they're really sticking it to us this year! Actually, this makes more sense as we're rated more closely to the section 4 slow boats. When we made the change to masthead, I figured it would put us in section 4, so I was surprised to see we were initially in 5.

Yes Twitter and Facebook posts are being encouraged from the race course... post with these hash tags:

#CYCRTM

#VCracetomac

Hey Shorty,

Dang, they're really sticking it to us this year! Actually, this makes more sense as we're rated more closely to the section 4 slow boats. When we made the change to masthead, I figured it would put us in section 4, so I was surprised to see we were initially in 5.

Don't want to jinx you this early in the week. But, it looks like the masthead chute is going to get some use.

Hey Shorty,

Don't want to jinx you this early in the week. But, it looks like the masthead chute is going to get some use.

I can only hope. It will be interesting to see how we do. Queen's Cup was classic...new kites and it was an upwind race all the way to Ludington.

can;t be as slow as 2009

My first and only ...

can;t be as slow as 2009

My first and only ...

Good things come to he who waits. You should have seen last year.

LakeErie Mark: What makes the weather models think that the wind will be greater on the W side of N Lake on Sunday PM and Monday?

I've seen this in a couple of forecast models, why?

LakeErie Mark: What makes the weather models think that the wind will be greater on the W side of N Lake on Sunday PM and Monday?

I've seen this in a couple of forecast models, why?

The surface pressure gradient (the driver of wind speeds) is expected to be higher near the interaction of the departing High and approaching surface trough/cold front. On a surface weather map, the pressure gradient can be assessed by the relative closeness of the isobars (contours of constant barometric pressure). A few years ago, I published a primer that explains the forces that control the wind -- http://www.lakeeriewx.com/CaseStudies/Primers/ForcesGoverningWind.html

Mark

My updated forecast (Thursday) for the Chicago-Mac is available at: http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Racing/RTM-2013/Thursday/RTM_Thursday.html

Mark

Thanks Lake Erie... I know your work is much appreciated by many of us on the SA.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

My updated forecast (Thursday) for the Chicago-Mac is available at: http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Racing/RTM-2013/Thursday/RTM_Thursday.html

Mark

have one for the lake ontario 300 ? if i extrapolate yours for mac i dont like what i see happening over here

Jeff,

Sorry, I haven't done a forecast for the LO 300. But a quick look at the models suggests modest winds of 5-10 knots for most of the weekend. Perhaps a little less Saturday night into Sunday morning. Good luck.

Mark

can;t be as slow as 2009

My first and only ...

I hear you but I didn't like the boat I was on then my Chi-Mac contacts changed and/or moved.

Simple, we are running the same weekend but it will take that much longer for the high pressure to leave. Do not try to apply the current forecast to your VPP model with any sharp objects within reach.

can;t be as slow as 2009

My first and only ...

I hear you but I didn't like the boat I was on then my Chi-Mac contacts changed and/or moved.

I was there in 1989. You want to talk slow. Wednesday mid fleet.

This is gonna be a drifter. Total doldrums.

Really good test. Man, Lake MI can be a fickle place.

I'd hit the easterlies that will develop at night on the east coast as temps rise over the weekend (I know that sounds weird).

Good luck everyone!

any of you who dig the attention or want the race to get some front page love - send updates here or to me at clean@sailinganarchy.com

Let me know now 'cause I will be reporting from the road during the race - driving Detroit to Newport on Saturday afternoon.

Good luck all; first Chi-Mac start we're missing in five years but seems like a good call at the moment.

Mark,

Thanks, just about to hit the road for Chi town.

Good luck, and here's hoping my wind forecast is too light.

Mark

Take plenty of bug spray and a few of these.

Fly-Swatter.jpg

I was going to publish a biting fly forecast, but wasn't sure the Mac fleet could handle it.....

Holy forecast. Or lack thereof. ...why am I doing this stupid race, yet again.

Wind Gods - I'm leaving this up to you this year. Fail me again, and I'm cashing in my Mac race fly swatter for good.

send it mate, part of my front page today if ya do!

I'd do it if my graphic design skills were stronger....

I wrote one article on LMPHRF this past month and printed in the LMSRF newsletter/magazine. All of the rest of the articles on a variety of topics are printed with LMSRF (distribution 2,500). Then I write a blog for non-sailors on sailing trying to entice them to try it (2 months at it with 1,800 pages read). All targeted to Lake Michigan.

Hey Glenn is that you writing those LMPHRF articles?

I have an electric fly swatter on my boat. When my wife bought it for me I laughed. After I used it, I didn't. You just hold it over the fly and turn it on. They fly into it and "wa-la" dead fly not smashed into the gelcoat.

Mr Clean, no live video and interviews this year?

Na, we're off to Newport to cover the Farr 30 Worlds tomorrow at the crack of ass; we've been working with the class for five years now and had to make the hard decision. Forecast being what it is, I'm not too bummed!

Hope to cover the Macks from phone calls and what will undoubtedly be a big pile of tweets and facebook messages. Working on something bigger with CYC for next year - hope it happens.

good luck, all.

I wrote one article on LMPHRF this past month and printed in the LMSRF newsletter/magazine. All of the rest of the articles on a variety of topics are printed with LMSRF (distribution 2,500). Then I write a blog for non-sailors on sailing trying to entice them to try it (2 months at it with 1,800 pages read). All targeted to Lake Michigan.

Is that actually a physical magazine? Paper? Or just an e-letter?

I like your recent piece and will start paying attention. Nice work.

Just email and posted on the website. We changed our focus 18 months ago and we work on growing the number of boats on starting lines. While we get enamored with "big events" it is the week in and week out racing we are trying to grow. Clearly it is done one boat at a time, mass marketing doesn't quite work with something as complicated (beginner to skilled racer) as sailboat racing.

Is that actually a physical magazine? Paper? Or just an e-letter?

I like your recent piece and will start paying attention. Nice work.

oh mass marketing works; it's just a fortune to reach the kind of folks much more easily reached with low-cost targeted e-mails.

Good luck in the Mac!

From Geff, followup to the front page piece.

Update... After a slow start with a lot of bad air, we were quickly able to step out to leeward of everyone and moving well. Still working to get the boat dialed in little by little since this is the first sail for the boat as well as all of us on her this year. New configurations and constant adjustments. Great times and weather. Couldn't ask for more picture perfect. Boat speed 9.5 with full main and screecher. All is good!

Fleet is moving up the lake at a better pace than the weather forecasts suggested. Race track gives the impression that you can nearly hop from boat to boat. Almost looks like a kids' soccer game with 20 6 year old kids all gathered around the ball.

http://gae.yb.tl/chicagomack2013

By the way, props to TM for a really nice job yesterday at Navy Pier during the parade of boats.

everything should slow down around now for the next 12 hours.

It is certainly looking that way. Boat speeds in the 2s and 3s.

Sunday night on Lake MI. 70 footers doing a half knot. Ouch

Sunday night on Lake MI. 70 footers doing a half knot. Ouch

The photos showing up on Facebook from Chance and Evolution are pretty funny. I think the crews are getting a bit lake happy!

from Geff:

You couldn't ask for a better more glorious day of Sailing! Bright sunshine, not too hot, more breeze than expected, and about the most comfortable boat you can imagine. We have finally been able to ease sheets a bit and crack off a tad in order to get more speed. One of those near perfect evenings so far and just kicked it into another few gears and boogie ing. Gotta love it!

MEanwhile Equation ST65 (ex Rosebud) has been doing under 1 knot for about 4 hours.

yikes.

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 5.41.16 AM.png

And Geff will probably get another multihull win!

"Very slow morning pre dawn. Been alot of transitions and been in phase with all of it since heading for the barn after can 3. Been staying ahead of the 70s through all this drifting. Finally got cell service. That is why my last post was from the first night. Going outside and staying west was pretty good for us. Still a long 9 miles to the bridge."

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.00.01 AM.png