Sign in to follow this  
Code 2

Ronstan Clear Start Watch

I replaced the battery on my son's Ronstan Clear Start (the big blue one) and the display doesnt come on at all - the alarm function just screams. Not a beeping sound - a constant electronic whine.

I know I put it together properly.

Any ideas? Is the watch fried?

Time to get a new watch?

Thanks!

I replaced the battery on my son's Ronstan Clear Start (the big blue one) and the display doesnt come on at all - the alarm function just screams. Not a beeping sound - a constant electronic whine.

I know I put it together properly.

Any ideas? Is the watch fried?

Time to get a new watch?

Thanks!

Not a clue but I had a problem with my son's and they replaced it no charge.

Is there a reset button in the watch (with the cover off). I've had similar problems with other watches, I remember that you push down on a brass bit to do a reset.

Otherwise email optimum time (google them) - they are very good and close to their business. Their website has all the documentation too.

The polarity was right wasn't it.

I'm having an issue where the watch resets itself back to 12:00:00 1/1. This has happened about 6 times now. Does anyone know what button combination causes this. Also, occasionally my watch will light every possible bar / logo on the screen and stay like that for a day.

Am I alone with these problems?

take the batteries out of the back, let it sit without batteries for at least an hour (yeah no joke)

put a set of fresh batteries in it and try again.

That will get you a soft reset, and that doesn't get it done, time to toss and buy again.

I'm having an issue where the watch resets itself back to 12:00:00 1/1. This has happened about 6 times now. Does anyone know what button combination causes this. Also, occasionally my watch will light every possible bar / logo on the screen and stay like that for a day.

I just got a Clear Start for Christmas and am having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution QuakerZoom?

I've just had to take apart my watch.

The buttons were getting sticky.

Once out of the watch and with a new battery the watch works great.

Trouble is the buttons are still sticky even though I've removed them, cleaned them and put wd40 on them. Still stick!! Bloody thing.

Trouble is the buttons are still sticky even though I've removed them, cleaned them and put wd40 on them. Still stick!! Bloody thing.

WD40? Um.... No.

Plastic to plastic binding? Clean it all up and use some PTFE dry lubricant instead.

I dropped mine on the cockpit floor. That has caused the watch to no longer beep. It also reset the time to 12:00. Every time now that it gets bumped it resets the time to 12:00. Hopefully it's an obvious fix when I take it apart.

Mine resets, seems that any touch of the set button causes this. Bit of a piss off as happens fairly regularly.

WD40? Um.... No.

Plastic to plastic binding? Clean it all up and use some PTFE dry lubricant instead.

And quickly! WD40 is horrible stuff in general, and could ruin the watch.

Ask us first, eventually you'll get the golden answer through some chaff.

My buttons are failing to do what they are supposed to, but I've had this watch for years. Time for a new one. Suggestions?

The strap on my old one tore in half, but still worked fine.

Bought a new one, returned it when it failed on opening the package, returned it's replacement when the keys became stuck after 2 days, and then swapped it for the larger version which seems OK.

The key functions are not as intuitive as the old one. POS!!!

My buttons are failing to do what they are supposed to, but I've had this watch for years. Time for a new one. Suggestions?

Optimum time. The original big yellow one. Cheap, does what it is supposed to do, reasonably robust. Never gets stolen because it is so ugly. I particularly love the rotate-in-the bracket feature - gives great readability with polarising glasses on.

Mine has worked fine for a couple years but the damn thing fogs up at the threat of rain. Really surprised it still works.

I am gonna state the obvious here, and say DON'T BUY SAILING WATCHES FROM THIS MILENIA AS THEY ALL SUCK... Now I feel better. You know the drill on this for Christ sakes... Just buy an Ironman, gshock or a goddamn kitchen timer instead of sending your hard earned $$ to a marine parts vendor... Yea they look good but shockingly the sailing parts builder knows squat about watches... food for thought. Still wearing the same Casio I had as a kid... It has to be 35+ years old... Changed batteries a couple times but I know it will work as it has the Same guts as every other Casio ever built....

I have an optimum time, still going after a number of years, but the rubber wrist band self destructed.. contacted them hoping they would send a new band.. nope... it would have cost approx. the same amount for shipping the band as buying a new one.. I just ran some yarn through remaining rubber bits and wear it around my neck... some of the phone aps are cool as they'll give better audio warnings instead of just beeps..

anybody have one of the "freestyle" brand of watches that I see on amazon?

just saw this on one watch

Water resistant to 330 feet (100 M): suitable for snorkeling, as well as swimming, but not diving

so who snorkels to 330 feet ...

i have the freestyle and it works fine. going on 4 years with it. band is a bit on the rubbery side but not the biggest deal.

I am gonna state the obvious here, and say DON'T BUY SAILING WATCHES FROM THIS MILENIA AS THEY ALL SUCK... Now I feel better. You know the drill on this for Christ sakes... Just buy an Ironman, gshock or a goddamn kitchen timer instead of sending your hard earned $$ to a marine parts vendor... Yea they look good but shockingly the sailing parts builder knows squat about watches... food for thought. Still wearing the same Casio I had as a kid... It has to be 35+ years old... Changed batteries a couple times but I know it will work as it has the Same guts as every other Casio ever built....

Right on!

Used an Ironman for the last 20 years. I have had 3 in those 20 years. I buggered up replacing a battery and the seal let water in. And another one got a cracked face while I was hammering concrete. This is year 5 with the current one. They are waterproof. And I don't need to memorize another manual for a different watch.

Simple and cheap.

On 17/03/2014 at 9:00 AM, QuakerZoom said:

Nope. 

My sweethearts' Clearstart (RF4053A) resets to 12:00 when you use the set/light button some times.

Bloody annoying.

The set button turns on the backlight, which draws a lot of power.  Drawing more power from a weak battery causes the voltage to drop.  Could be the backlight is enough to drop the voltage to the point where the watch resets.

Yes it's the battery.  Both of my Ronstans were resetting when you hit the set (light) button.  A true bummer since I'm a lefty and wearing the watch on your right hand the set button gets hit all the time.  Both are much happier with new batteries.  I checked one old battery; it was down from 3v to 2.8v.  Changing them required a very small Phillips screwdriver and good eyes or a magnifier.  Turns out I had a bunch of 2025 batters for my KVH Datascope.  They're the same diameter 3v Lithium cells, just a bit thinner than the 2032.  They seem to work fine.  No reset of the watch was necessary after putting in the new battery; just button it up and reset the time.

On 10/10/2016 at 2:23 PM, shaggy said:

except that a lot of us like the sync button

and the huge numbers are pretty useful too

mostly my ronstan watches have been okay. i couldn't find my big blue one, and i bought one of the 50mm ones that look kind of like a regular watch - just did a regatta with it and it worked perfectly. apparently they changed the model, so the old model is on sale  - that's the one i bought.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, us7070 said:

except that a lot of us like the sync button

and the huge numbers are pretty useful too

mostly my ronstan watches have been okay. i couldn't find my big blue one, and i bought one of the 50mm ones that look kind of like a regular watch - just did a regatta with it and it worked perfectly. apparently they changed the model, so the old model is on sale  - that's the one i bought.

I really like my ronstan watches. I currently have two. I like the large numbers and easily sync feature. I was wearing the smaller size as a regular watch. But about a year ago I developed a sensitivity to the plastic band. Even wearing it for a day will cause the skin on my arm to turn red and be irritated. So I have been using the larger one with fabric band now.

After the plastic band on my older Ronstan watch broke I got a new metal one with a fabric band.  Looks a lot nicer, but the interface isn't as good.  You can't set the 5min timer to 5,10,15,20, etc. by pushing set like the older one could do.  It just does 5 mins.  But you can turn off the backlight feature to avoid wasting power when the set button is pressed.