• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ajax

Filling screw holes in aluminum extrusion

On old boats that have seen years of hardware modifications, what are the best methods to fill in old screw and rivet holes to maintain the structural integrity of the spar?

So far, all I've seen is screwing in allen-head plugs coated with Lanacote. Are there any other methods that I should be aware of that might be better?

I have had welders come in and spot weld all the spots to fill in the holes and make it whole again. short of that I think you are more or less playing tear along the dotted line even if you fill it with screws

The PO had screwed a cam cleat to the mast - I think that it was for the kite halyard, although using it seems like a really crappy idea to me, so I removed it. I filled the holes with Marine Tex (white) and put a plastic bag over it while it set to make it smooth. I'm sure that I could find them if I look, but you can't see them from the dock, so cosmetically that's a decent, low cost, choice. Not helpful structurally, obviously.

Welding should be minimized on spars - it screws up the heat treating.

On old boats that have seen years of hardware modifications, what are the best methods to fill in old screw and rivet holes to maintain the structural integrity of the spar?

So far, all I've seen is screwing in allen-head plugs coated with Lanacote. Are there any other methods that I should be aware of that might be better?

just pop a rivet in and forget about it...

Monel pop rivets or screws.. Stainless reacts with the aluminum.. Welding not a good idea as another said, it can screw up the mast with the heat. But he holes need to be filled as an empty hole can cause problems with flexing etc.

I've heard of success filling holes old screw holes in aluminum by adding standard epoxy thickeners to an aluminum filled mcu paint - a google search for MCU aluminum should maybe turn up something

JB Weld might work. It is similiar to Pauloman's idea but off the shelf. I've had good luck repairing small bits in car and lawn mower engines with it.

JB Weld makes a bunch of different fillers. Make sure you get the one for ALUMINUM otherwise you will have a dissimilar metal issue!

I've heard of success filling holes old screw holes in aluminum by adding standard epoxy thickeners to an aluminum filled mcu paint - a google search for MCU aluminum should maybe turn up something

You can buy powdered metals to use as thickeners - presumably aluminium is one of them.