• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IrieMon

Brick steak sandwich for overnight racing... anyone recall recipe ?

Hey Folks-

Way back was a thread on great food for overnight racing..... one of the recipes was for a "brick sandwich" made with ribeyes, cheese and other assorted goodies.... you then squish the sandwich with a brick overnight and it condenses to make it easier for consuming on the rail in the dark.

Found a few older threads, but none with this particular sandwich. I assume it's Focaccia (or similar bread), but anyone still online who posted (or remembers) that recipe ?

Other suggestions are welcome !

Thanks in advance

Ciabatta bread.

Make a sandwich with steak and cheese on it. Put a brick on it to make it easier to eat on the rail.

Beef tenderloin, carmelized onions and horseradish sauce on French/Italian loaf. Flatten as necessary. Killer combination. Crew favorite year after year.

See step four above. Quadruple the brandy, drink the marinade, throw the sandwich overboard and hit yourself over the head with the brick when the wind shuts off. I'll get my coat.

I see what you did there... :ph34r:

Hey Folks-

Way back was a thread on great food for overnight racing.....

holy hell, that looks delectable....

I feel like I should applaud after viewing that. That's the kind of thing that you eat and then high-five your cardiologist.

All things in moderation. And it looks fucking delicious.

I feel like I should applaud after viewing that. That's the kind of thing that you eat and then high-five your cardiologist.

Gotta love some of the directions;

I got lucky and had a similar quantity of bone marrow left over in the fridge

^This^ may explain the English better than any nine month college course ever could....

That does look good! That looks better than anything I have eaten during a race, and I have been on some boats where we fed well!

Very amused to see a reference to shooting (*) in the Guardian. Probably the only time ever.

FWIW, threads relating to food offshore:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=20571

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=68762

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=72589

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=132378

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=142987

(* Shooting as in pheasants. Not people (or peasants, come to that.))

You can also just go with anything that is called a "Pannini" basically you just want any bread that is fairly absorbant but also has some solid body and crust. So a Pannin, Ciabbata, Foccacia or a fresh Baugette all will do.

the idea is that you take what would normally go in a stew but rather than cooking the meat in the stew (though you could as long as you didn't cube it) you cook it flat and as tender as possible then you take the stew and the meat, put it on the sandwich and put it under a press of some sort (sandwich shops have a toasting press for this) and let the liquid penetrate into the bread, but by pressing it, you restore structure to it. Then by letting it cool you let the fats in the food gel (nicer than coagulate) and that adds further structure.

You can also just go with anything that is called a "Pannini" basically you just want any bread that is fairly absorbant but also has some solid body and crust. So a Pannin, Ciabbata, Foccacia or a fresh Baugette all will do.

the idea is that you take what would normally go in a stew but rather than cooking the meat in the stew (though you could as long as you didn't cube it) you cook it flat and as tender as possible then you take the stew and the meat, put it on the sandwich and put it under a press of some sort (sandwich shops have a toasting press for this) and let the liquid penetrate into the bread, but by pressing it, you restore structure to it. Then by letting it cool you let the fats in the food gel (nicer than coagulate) and that adds further structure.

you make it sound so scienceeyyy..

Coagulate is what it does in your arteries.....

We built a Shooter's Sandwich last night. One loaf of Italian bread, two T-bones minus bones, some crumbled bleu cheese, mushrooms, shallots, and a bit of grey poupon.

1779772_604984776247892_1047516208_n.jpg

The mushroom and shallot saute produced a pretty amazing aroma.

1959313_604984786247891_1859474189_n.jpg

1958544_604984799581223_244495486_n.jpg?

10001551_604984819581221_1234587213_n.jp

It flattens right out.

1779841_604986276247742_914465361_n.jpg?

You would get shot using Dijon mustard but you can use a french loaf dugout like the boule. Colman's mustard is a must and the prime rib pan fried with cognac and peppercorns is classic.

Oh, that's gonna be dinner some night. I want to try it with some of the elk steaks I Have ...

It was a bit too heavy on the bleu cheese. Much of that gets pushed out to the edges upon compression, so when you slice across the loaf, the ends of the slice, where the excess bleu cheese ends up, want to break off anyway. It was damn good, but not a finished product. Needs refinement.

Will try without bleu cheese next time, perhaps with some kind of melted cheese in its place. Not sure what will replace the mustard. Ribeyes are a must for next time.

It was a bit too heavy on the bleu cheese. Much of that gets pushed out to the edges upon compression, so when you slice across the loaf, the ends of the slice, where the excess bleu cheese ends up, want to break off anyway. It was damn good, but not a finished product. Needs refinement.

Will try without bleu cheese next time, perhaps with some kind of melted cheese in its place. Not sure what will replace the mustard. Ribeyes are a must for next time.

Seriously try Colman's English mustard just go easy with it.

provalone...aged

sriracha !

I keep getting a nagging thought that there should be a way to work some bacon and cheddar into the mix somehow...perhaps with some carmelized onions?

You could bake those ingredients into the bread.