• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

I have a problem with that famous painting - Gypsy Moth IV was 54' - that makes that upcoming sea about 150' high. I don't think they get that high even at Cape Horn (which I believe is in the background)

A painting of "Gypsy Moth IV". PM me for address to send the prize.

Hey... I saw what you did there!

Google Image Search is making these "what is it" contests mostly about fast typing and mouse work.

Google Image Search is making these "what is it" contests mostly about fast typing and mouse work.

...and modifying your post after the fact! I'll try that ruse next time..

...and modifying your post after the fact! I'll try that ruse next time..

Well, amplifying. Fair game, given the standards of the venue. ;)

Scot could make it harder by renaming the file, too.

The Ed in the middle of another self made shit storm!

Publishing a picture with no mention of credit;;; you're right copyright infringement written all over...

Sir Francis Chichester's Gypsy Moth IV is correct. I remember it from the cover of his book. Can't remember the title of the book though. Edit: Oops, just saw Presuming Ed's post. Nevermind.

I have a problem with that famous painting - Gypsy Moth IV was 54' - that makes that upcoming sea about 150' high. I don't think they get that high even at Cape Horn (which I believe is in the background)

A painting is not a photograph, and it's not intended to be....it's different....and (IMHO) much more.......

i found a copy of the book on a park bench by my house when i was maybe 9 or 10. leafed through it, started to read bits, then sat down and started from the begining to wait for someone to come back and claim it... 3 hours later, getting dark, i decided to make a run for it. slipped it in my waist band and haulled ass for home. spent that summer reading and then re-reading it. fell in love with sailing/voyaging..

i wish i knew what happened to it because it was full of notes in the margins and things circled and now that i know something about the subject id like to go back and see what all that was about. i have to say though the cover art scared the piss out of me until many years later when i knew enough to do the math and realized it was more than a little bit dramatized. as a kid, it didnt dawn on me that it was a painting, or how a helicopter got that shot.

thanks for the memories...

One thing I didn't pick up on when I was young (technically two things):

Chichester was a vegetarian and an alcoholic.

The first makes him slightly suspect, but the second is pretty much all redeeming.

I knew it the second I saw it...but was late to the party. That was one of my favorite books growing up. I still remember the picture of Sir Francis filling his pint mug from his onboard tap. Bet the transpac boys and girls wish they had one of those right about now!

A painting is not a photograph, and it's not intended to be....it's different....and (IMHO) much more.......

Would be more frightening if the scale weren't so absurd. Great seaman, nasty seas, no need to embellish what's already impressive and awesome.

I knew it the second I saw it...but was late to the party. That was one of my favorite books growing up. I still remember the picture of Sir Francis filling his pint mug from his onboard tap. Bet the transpac boys and girls wish they had one of those right about now!

Strongbow wasn't it?

That was a great picture.

After he did it, Chichester came up with one of the all time great lines. When asked why he did something so dangerous and seemingly pointless he replied "Because it intensifies life".

Much more explanatory than Hillary's "Because it's there".

By the way, I went aboard GM IV when it was drydocked at Greenwich beside Cutty Sark. It was much the same as an open 60 down below - very spartan.

The photo:

9-large.jpg

My most favorite sailing photograph!

I went aboard Gypsy Moth at Greenwich. Interesting to see just how small the rig was compared to modern boats. And how basic the deck hardware was. And narrow beamed.

Chichester hated the boat because it was tender and hobby horsed. Yet the two of them got around the globe.

Chichester really sailed off into the "unknown" at the time. Great bit of sailing history.

Read and re-read the book as a schoolboy . Many years later I found it again in a secondhand bookstore.

I followed the link and ordered a copy that is supposed to be signed by his son Giles.

I really like that picture and will get it framed when it arrives.

Thanks for the post Ed.