Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enzedel92

Commentator thread......

Maybe someone at the ACRM / ACEA browses these forums.

Can we get PJ back? He is the voice of the Americas Cup. I can listen to him all day. He made the 2010 DOG match interesting.

Now granted Tucker Thompson and Andy "blue flag!" Greene have to cover blow outs or races with only one boat so its not easy!!!!

But I think TT needs to go back to on water / chase boat coverage, Put PJ as play by play and let Andy Greene cover the technical aspects. PJ had a way of rattling off sailor names like they were family.

BTW I love Andy Greene as well.

But I cant imagine TT calling the AC in September.

Didn't see this new thread, but just posted on red haired thread that these guys aren't that bad.... They're there not for types like us but for those not as familiar with the sport! Actually I'm kind of done with Monty, bit too much for me personnally.

I thought that the commentators were wonderful. How they managed to spout so much drivel for an hour and a half continuosly, considering the utter lack of anything happening on the water was almost godsent. To be able to yabber away at such length on the ability to gybe on the foils takes an infinate amount of skill. Perhaps they should take up broadcasting for a living.

Didn't see this new thread, but just posted on red haired thread that these guys aren't that bad.... They're there not for types like us but for those not as familiar with the sport! Actually I'm kind of done with Monty, bit too much for me personnally.

I agree, considering that the commentators are there for people who have barely ever watched boats race, they aren't bad at all.

You can't blame the whole "facebook" ethos for this, commentators in the AC have generally been for the masses.

Given that this "racing" is currently as close as the "Big Boat Challenge" back in '88, I think they are doing a pretty decent job of it.

I thought that the commentators were wonderful. How they managed to spout so much drivel for an hour and a half continuosly, considering the utter lack of anything happening on the water was almost godsent. To be able to yabber away at such length on the ability to gybe on the foils takes an infinate amount of skill. Perhaps they should take up broadcasting for a living.

Hellooo Stranger!! How have you been? Must be AC time again.....good to "see" you again :D .

Aren't the two we get at the moment really the 'stadium commentators' though. I was assuming they would revert to doing the PA system for the grandstands sooner or later - then we'll really have to look out who we get lumped with!

No PJM, no GJ - and I'll promise not to moan.

Jenny and Mitch? The last non-sailing guy (US sports) doing the full Youtube commentary was useful too IIRC

Aren't the two we get at the moment really the 'stadium commentators' though. I was assuming they would revert to doing the PA system for the grandstands sooner or later - then we'll really have to look out who we get lumped with!

Jenny and Mitch? The last non-sailing guy (US sports) doing the full Youtube commentary was useful too IIRC

mitch would be a good start.

I agree with Enzedel 92 about Andy Green. He has a nice touch, a cheerful demeanour and he's walked the walk. Hope they keep him front and centre.

Sorry, but PJ's not going to hack it for an American audience.

If TV1 puts its own commentary team in place for the LV Cup semis and onwards, then Peter would be a good, third man colour guy for local broadcast here.

TT is growing on me. Bit over the top but he has an advantage as an anchor type with a good grounding in sailing. That's a huge plus. As I've noted elsewhere here, he's come a long, long way from his early webtv days.

+1

but would he compare the ac72s to jumping whales?

124385115_11n.jpg

Its not so much the commentators , ANY of them are going to have a hell of a time making this look interesting anywhere past the start sequence.

Its not so much the commentators , ANY of them are going to have a hell of a time making this look interesting anywhere past the start sequence.

Don't look for the AC match up itself to be any more exciting, except for the start sequence.

Can we get PJ back? He is the voice of the Americas Cup. I can listen to him all day. He made the 2010 DOG match interesting.

Now granted Tucker Thompson and Andy "blue flag!" Greene have to cover blow outs or races with only one boat so its not easy!!!!

But I think TT needs to go back to on water / chase boat coverage, Put PJ as play by play and let Andy Greene cover the technical aspects. PJ had a way of rattling off sailor names like they were family.

Agree with all that.

Bring back PJM !

Hellooo Stranger!! How have you been? Must be AC time again.....good to "see" you again :D .

Hi Indio. Just thought I'd pop in for a look. I've been a bit off the rails for the last year or two with some pretty bad health which I hope I can start to put behind me soon so I thought it best to stay away from here to conserve my blood pressure.. I'm disgusted with this AC. It's nothin more than another hedge fund scam. The brochure talks of equity, yields, worldwide participation, and garanteed returns. Well so far, the only equity seems to have disappeared into the pockets of the waterfront land speculators, there have so far been no visible yields, 3 entries does not constitute "worldwide", and, most important of all, one of the most talented sailors of this era will not be returning. Larry got it wrong. It's too expensive, it's too dangerous. it's too fast to be tactical, and, it's downright bloody boring to watch after the first 5 minutes, which, (coming back on topic) means that the commentators have nothing to do except waffle on about gybing on foils and how fantastic it is to see the boats "skating" around the marks, therefor boring the shit out of us listeners after the first 2 minutes. Cheers. I feel better now. WcW.

Hi Indio. Just thought I'd pop in for a look. I've been a bit off the rails for the last year or two with some pretty bad health which I hope I can start to put behind me soon so I thought it best to stay away from here to conserve my blood pressure.. I'm disgusted with this AC. It's nothin more than another hedge fund scam. The brochure talks of equity, yields, worldwide participation, and garanteed returns. Well so far, the only equity seems to have disappeared into the pockets of the waterfront land speculators, there have so far been no visible yields, 3 entries does not constitute "worldwide", and, most important of all, one of the most talented sailors of this era will not be returning. Larry got it wrong. It's too expensive, it's too dangerous. it's too fast to be tactical, and, it's downright bloody boring to watch after the first 5 minutes, which, (coming back on topic) means that the commentators have nothing to do except waffle on about gybing on foils and how fantastic it is to see the boats "skating" around the marks, therefor boring the shit out of us listeners after the first 2 minutes. Cheers. I feel better now. WcW.

Welcome back. Best wishes for your health.

ps Do you think MM (rip) has reincarnated into a Corvette driver for the duration of the current instalment?

ps Do you think MM (rip) has reincarnated into a Corvette driver for the duration of the current instalment?

It's a possibility but only if

(A) She was given the Corvette as a non-returnable gift, and,

(B) She was getting free gas.

It's a possibility but only if

(A) She was given the Corvette as a non-returnable gift, and,

( B) She was getting free gas.

Good to see you out and about after your health issues. I hope AC35 is in a new monhull class: the multis are fun for the novelty value, but the AC for me is monohulls.

I really liked Ken Read commentating Naples ACWS. He should be joined by the Irish guy (Viper Higgins). This would be fun!

PJ will be back for the much more exciting Auckland 2016 America's Cup.

Please keep PJM off except if he is under instruction to do commentary as if its the Rugby World Cup final/Superbowl/<name your sport big final> ie talk technical for the sailing informed not stupid baby shit 'what is a gybe'.

I love the guest commentators so-far, really great insights into teams & techniques :wub:

More of them, less of andy & tucker.

What happened to Jenny???

Also keep that tool Jobson the fuck away from the mike.

Also: Andy please for fucksakes get one of these

richie-benaud_1299318c.jpg

^ Not sure Richie would have much to offer in commentary :P (I know what you mean but couldn't resist). I think Gus nailed it to be honest with his first (in a long time) post.

Good to see you out and about after your health issues. I hope AC35 is in a new monhull class: the multis are fun for the novelty value, but the AC for me is monohulls.

I agree mate, but it needn't be a monohull only event. In monos the AC32 event worked brilliantly using a box rule and had more to give the spectators than any of this nonsense and in actual fact the big screens gave the land spectators a better view than us reporters had out on the water. If the cup continues as a multi event then the box rule has to go and we revert to the old J-Class format which was " Make a challenge and throw money at it". I'd be interested in seeing that. Ten multihulls of different designs and configurations racing under a box rule of max loa 75', min loa 60' x max beam 50', min beam 30' x max draft 10'. This would make the designers work for their money and create all kinds of innovations that would gradually trickle down through the system in the form of build techniques and development materials. It would also create intrigue, spygates, and bankrupt ex millionaires. That is what the AC is all about. It WAS the sailing worlds most prestigeous trophy because of those things. It is now a borefest. I really hate to say it , but, I now wish Bertarelli had won the last event because no matter what we all thought of him, he had panache, he built a brilliant infrastructure, he created intrigue, and he did a lot to help the poorer teams stay the course and keep the entries to an acceptable level. Yes, it was all about money, but then the AC has always been about money. The difference I see between AC 32 and AC34 is that the money is flowing the wrong way. The AC has always been about making the contestants poorer with a trophy for the winner. It now seems to be about making a very few inner elite a huge amount of money and to hell with what happens on the water. We win, great,,, We lose, no problem, and we made a buck either way.

Whoever wins this event is of little importance because the only loser has been the event itself.

I see. I'll have to reconsider my support for ETNZ then.

Not sure Richie would have much to offer in commentary

On the contrary, he should be a role model for sailing commentators

1. He knew how to not breathe on the mic.
  2. He never baby talked.
  3. His entire career was based around talking shit hour after hour while watching a sport so slow & lacking in action most people would rather watch paint dry.

These guys are doing a fine job - they make a mistake from time to time and say something dumb, but commentating is really hard to do. You try talking about something for an hour non-stop and have every sentence make sense, include no dumb analogies, profanities or accidental statements that offend some race, religion or sex, and is interesting to listen to. Practice really helps, and the standard that we are used to from baseball play-by-play, or soccer, or football is high because those guys do their jobs every few days and have years of consistent sporting activity to draw on. Commentating for live sailing events is infrequent and the audience technical education level is in flux and has wide range. I hope some of you guys bump into them during the event and let them know that the vocal, negative, guys are a minority and their efforts are appreciated.

Contrary to all the complaints and insults, I enjoyed both the race and the commentary (although some of it was off the top).

Heck of a lot more interesting then following the CYC to Mackinac race on Yellowbrick.

These guys are doing a fine job - they make a mistake from time to time and say something dumb, but commentating is really hard to do. ...

My sentiments exactly. I felt bad for the fellow who said, "What a great race!" I'm sure that for him it was a great day--the first AC72 race ever. It was not a considered judgment on the entertainment value of watching Emirates Team New Zealand run away from Luna Rossa, but it probably reflected his real, personal enthusiasm that, for the time being, the great questions about what teams have accomplished will now be answered on the water. I watched the whole race, even though the outcome seemed to be a foregone conclusion after the third leg.

It seemed to me that the production was done in economy mode. I would have loved to have seen a replay of the boundary violation and consequent penalty on Luna Rossa, along with some kind of clock or at least a reasoned guestimate of how much time that mistake cost the Italians. I wonder how much that factored into their eventual DNF. I fiddled around with Java and plugins yesterday evening, and perhaps I can answer my own question using the Virtual Eye replay, but that is the kind of analysis that I'd like to have commentators do for me while the event is underway.

Edit: OK, I checked the penalty on the replay. Looks like it might have cost them 200 m at the most. I suppose that tacking a little earlier to avoid the boundary wouldn't have been enough to get them to the finish within the 5-minute limit.

+1

but would he compare the ac72s to jumping whales?

124385115_11n.jpg

It sounds like this AC has "Jumped The Whale"!

'Dancing like a dolphin' was a quick follow through, so good that he may have rehearsed both analogies.

Back to LR, I think one account had it that LR was having problems with their port foil and so on the leg to the finish line they intentionally under loaded it; they may have looked a little better otherwise - the race to beat the 5 minutes was a bit agonizing, including for the poor commentators.

I see. I'll have to reconsider my support for ETNZ then.

PJ: "The America's Cup is no longer a Cluster Fuck!"

And again the guest commentator, Richard Meacham from ETNZ, made the day!

You can learn more about this regatta from these guest commentators that any other source. Especially when they're analysing the other boats - what's good, bad, normal, different, new etc. They're cagey but interesting nevertheless.

Richard is a great this morning. He is doing the talking and the commentators are leading him.

Everyone should listen to the LR race this morning.

PJ "Paynteed sheeps on paynteed Oceans" Montgomery has my vote! Eddy's not bad either...

2EJkuv3.jpg

TT HAS TO GO!!!!!!

Why isnt he honest?

Just call it like it is.

We are not morons.

I watch one thing and TT is saying another.

My brain is fried. The guy with the Brit accent (Andy?) kept getting it wrong; tack vs. gybe, which leg they were on, saying the windspeed might drop below minimum, missing for minutes that LR was not catching up after the jib imbroglio. PULEEZE, get a commentator that knows the basic stuff.

As soon as *you* win it you can do what you like. Until then, stop whinging ... :-)

The races are long enough to cycle a few expert commentators through, like any cricket match.

It must be exhausting for those 2 guys to come up different ideas for over an hour.

They had Ken Reid commentating for one of the ACWS events. He was great. Mostly talking tactics and pretty much calling what all the boats in the fleet were going to do 15 - 30 seconds before they did it. He also knew when to be quite which was great.

in the 2nd half of the race andies breathing started to dominate again

must be a tech issue

he has to breath

do we have to hear it?

We know Andy and Tucker read these threads....They obliquely mentioned online chatter about the AC during the race yesterday.

Should Andy and Tucker give SA AC big shout out during the next two boat race? Surely, YES !

We know Andy and Tucker read these threads....They obliquely mentioned online chatter about the AC during the race yesterday.

Should Andy and Tucker give SA AC big shout out during the next two boat race? Surely, YES !

Given the shit we heap on ACEA, ACRM, OR, Ehman, they would probably get fired for mentioning anything remotely connected to ACA...

WS - Nailed it.

Tough to commentate on this stuff and keep it interesting without constantly describing what is plainly on screen anyway. Special guests would really help, the more knowledgeable and informed re the current AC round the better. There have got to be some technical people in town watching the event and able to contribute! - Come on Andy hop to it, and don't LTBGYD - cheers.

Chris

These guys are doing a fine job - they make a mistake from time to time and say something dumb, but commentating is really hard to do. You try talking about something for an hour non-stop and have every sentence make sense, include no dumb analogies, profanities or accidental statements that offend some race, religion or sex, and is interesting to listen to. Practice really helps, and the standard that we are used to from baseball play-by-play, or soccer, or football is high because those guys do their jobs every few days and have years of consistent sporting activity to draw on. Commentating for live sailing events is infrequent and the audience technical education level is in flux and has wide range. I hope some of you guys bump into them during the event and let them know that the vocal, negative, guys are a minority and their efforts are appreciated.

If PJM gets the job if TNZ win then I think I wd ratehr learn Italian or (gulp) Amercan.

PJ has his place. About three miles away, downwind, without a mike

Who says they need to be complimentary about SAAC ... ?

I think we deserve a mention, espically given they use some of the material herein as chatter during the show !

Given the shit we heap on ACEA, ACRM, OR, Ehman, they would probably get fired for mentioning anything remotely connected to ACA...

I'm a little confused by this all, besides the overall mess the coverage is anyway, because they seem to be missing some pretty common tricks.

1. Where have the guest commentators gone? They were awesome during the one-boat races, surely they don't believe a two-boat race is that exciting that we don't need a guest commentator?

Have a regular guest. Even if that's just a Commodore of some local boat club (but preferably an AC team/family member).

2. Major sporting events are often just as much about what goes on on the "field" as it is about what goes on off the field. The politics, relationships and even acrimony are part of the game.

Discuss the jury considerations and decisions. Nothing is private so there's no fear of "airing your dirty laundry" and if Formula One can do it and benefit, so can AC34.

AG and TT do a pretty good job given the circumstances IMHO, if they adopted the above two suggestions then they'd have almost too much to cover in the 50 odd minutes they need to face the mics each race. With some extra insight and analysis there's a chance to drag this regatta up from the seabed.

Have they been banned or dissuaded from discussing significant "administrative" events surrounding the Cup? In F1 the organising body has control of the cameras but not the commentators, perhaps that's a significant factor?

I think the commentators are OK. However, Jenny T. who does the AC interviews drives me nuts, with her whiny valley girl voice. She is clumsy with the questions as well. She must be related to (or doing) someone from the AC. :)

I think the commentators are OK. However, Jenny T. who does the AC interviews drives me nuts, with her whiny valley girl voice. She is clumsy with the questions as well. She must be related to (or doing) someone from the AC. :)

I expect the AC folk to deny having any such relations

With regard to comments about the currents, I would like to suggest that the announcers should take a visit to the Bay Model over in Sausalito to see how the currents actually work in SF Bay. It's a full scale hydrologically correct model of the the bay.

They might event want to suggest to listeners that it might be a great way for them to learn about the bay.

In that vein, I'd also suggest that they take a cue from Tour de France commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin who have the similar of problem of having to speak for hours on end while not much is going on. In that case, they are always armed with lots of fact and tidbits about various parts of France and landmarks, history etc. related to the day's stage, and they work them in as filler.

I'm sure they could work in a lot more of that kind of stuff about SF and the bay to fill in the gaps. For example, why not mention that Chrissy Field used to be an actual military air field. Or Ft. Point and its historical role defending the entrance to the bay where they actually had anti-submarine nets across the GG during WWII or how in the post cold war era there used to be a Nike anti-missile defense site on top of angel island or that Angles island was the main west coast point of embarcation for immigrants (like ellis island on the east coast). Let alone all of the things they could say about alcatraz. Jesus, there is no end of shit they could include to liven things up instead of saying stupid incorrect shit about sailing.

Perhaps they are saving it for the actual LVC and AC itself so they don't repeat themselves?

I know it's not an easy job, but ffs, they have to step it up.

^ I like that.

I remember when Jake Humphrey came in to lead the BBC commentary for Formula 1, I was in the UK at the time. I was impressed with his intimate and historical knowledge of the sport, tracks, drivers and teams - for a n00b he kicked arse in the "filler info" department.

The only real way to achieve this is to commit literally hundreds of hours to study. Are AG and TT committed (read: paid) enough?

Veteran announcer Todd Harris will serve as the play-by-play commentator for the NBC Sports Network telecasts. Harris will be joined by former America’s Cup helmsman and Volvo Ocean Race skipper Ken Read, as well as America's Cup winner and author Gary Jobson.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Veteran announcer Todd Harris will serve as the play-by-play commentator for the NBC Sports Network telecasts. Harris will be joined by former America’s Cup helmsman and Volvo Ocean Race skipper Ken Read, as well as America's Cup winner and author Gary Jobson.

But Ken Read is superb! Will we have those guys also on YouTube or are they exclusive to NBC?

Ken Read is awesome - the other 2 are wannabes.

Hey mate, I think we're going to get Peter Lester in the Jobson role. If that's the case we'll miss out on Kenny's input which is bound to be good. We'll know what TVNZ has in store for us in a few hours.

Can Jobson find a way to fall off a cliff, get caught with his pants around his ankles or something in the next couple of weeks?

Maybe they can get these two instead?

Great to have Kenny doing the commentary, hope he continues. But can somebody tell him and Tucker that is Giles Scott not Gilles, he's not french!

Ed Baird and Peter Gilmore were both grate value in past ACs

There consekwent availebility always soffened (for me, if not for them) the disapointment of them being nocked out

why is senor Jobson so obsessed with current? Boats are doing 35+ knots and he is constantly hypothesizing about 1/2 knot variations in current. Back when he was racing at 3 kts. on the Monitor and Merrimac this may have been a factor but come on dude...

With regard to comments about the currents, I would like to suggest that the announcers should take a visit to the Bay Model over in Sausalito to see how the currents actually work in SF Bay. It's a full scale hydrologically correct model of the the bay.

They might event want to suggest to listeners that it might be a great way for them to learn about the bay.

In that vein, I'd also suggest that they take a cue from Tour de France commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin who have the similar of problem of having to speak for hours on end while not much is going on. In that case, they are always armed with lots of fact and tidbits about various parts of France and landmarks, history etc. related to the day's stage, and they work them in as filler.

I'm sure they could work in a lot more of that kind of stuff about SF and the bay to fill in the gaps. For example, why not mention that Chrissy Field used to be an actual military air field. Or Ft. Point and its historical role defending the entrance to the bay where they actually had anti-submarine nets across the GG during WWII or how in the post cold war era there used to be a Nike anti-missile defense site on top of angel island or that Angles island was the main west coast point of embarcation for immigrants (like ellis island on the east coast). Let alone all of the things they could say about alcatraz. Jesus, there is no end of shit they could include to liven things up instead of saying stupid incorrect shit about sailing.

Perhaps they are saving it for the actual LVC and AC itself so they don't repeat themselves?

I know it's not an easy job, but ffs, they have to step it up.

I think Tasker & Lester myt have red yore post for R2

why is senor Jobson so obsessed with current? Boats are doing 35+ knots and he is constantly hypothesizing about 1/2 knot variations in current. Back when he was racing at 3 kts. on the Monitor and Merrimac this may have been a factor but come on dude...

Has does Jobson know the skipper has a light touch?

He can tell that from the chopper shot???

Has does Jobson know the skipper has a light touch?

He can tell that from the chopper shot???

Perhaps he can tell from personal experience.

With the onboard Audio feeds now in the action, there was nothing worse today than hearing the commentators blathering on over the top of it.. I learned more about the race by the snippets of crew audio I got than listening to 'curly and mo' thats for sure.. At least shut up in the prestarts guys..! And let us listen more; it will save you work- less talking and valuable info to glean from this new technology.

Evolve with it, stop trying to call it like its a basketball game
:blink:

With the onboard Audio feeds now in the action, there was nothing worse today than hearing the commentators blathering on over the top of it.. I learned more about the race by the snippets of crew audio I got than listening to 'curly and mo' thats for sure.. At least shut up in the prestarts guys..! And let us listen more; it will save you work- less talking and valuable info to glean from this new technology.

Indede

If it becums 'made for internet' insted of made for TV we cd have multiple soundchannels & let the eweser chooz

wd be gr8 to have reel tym speech to txt, so you cd kp a loose eye on several commentry stremes, and switch on the fly...

and split screen self-edit sweet, so you DIDNT get yankt away from an ariel shot harf way thru a borderline jybe ... AAAARGHHH !

TT and AG on Their games and the post show is great had Sir Russel today .Thank god No PJ . Ken Reid was great . Jobby was Jobby but a hell lot better than in the beginning .

We need more American Commentators Its our defense I think we employ enough of the world . I can't take that screeching accented like i'm at Royal dog race betting parlor . Some legend guests would be great and really missing is a talk with Fish .

Added its also pretty hard to gain excitement when the only thing left after the pre start and first mark is watching a boat and hoping it breaks so the other may pass it .

the excitement is really Nathan being able to adjust so quickly just 2:00 minute delta and its day eight or nine sailing big blue does Barts memory proud . And how this team climbed back on board . who the hell listens to the Commentators any way . Its the pre and post shows that can really tell the story . Reid add was one most postive things we have seen .

Perhaps we can get Kirbys dad

Indede

If it becums 'made for internet' insted of made for TV we cd have multiple soundchannels & let the eweser chooz

wd be gr8 to have reel tym speech to txt, so you cd kp a loose eye on several commentry stremes, and switch on the fly...

and split screen self-edit sweet, so you DIDNT get yankt away from an ariel shot harf way thru a borderline jybe ... AAAARGHHH !

So there's no way to have an only on-board audio signal I guess?

Great to have Kenny doing the commentary, hope he continues. But can somebody tell him and Tucker that is Giles Scott not Gilles, he's not french!

Pretty sure it's Jobson that keeps calling him Gilles. You'd think he'd never heard the name Giles!

Who was interviewing Chris Draper right after the race #3?

He gave a back handed compliant. Not in the form of a questions. Than expected Chris to reply with an answer to a none question.

Whoever that was should be fired.

Hey Peter and Martin, if you read this thread, how about pausing your commentary when we get onboard feed off the boats then resuming commentary once the shot changes.

The onboard chatter would be really interesting to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Bring Back PJ !

Bring Back PJ !

Bring Back PJ !

Indede

Actually yes! By using the AC smartphone app, I discovered it only yesterday...

In the 'live data' tab, you can select audio from either boat only, or commentary.

Its great! A bit of a delay betwen them , but the audio seems to be leading the vision so its no problem..

Ive been watching the you tube streams on one monitor, virtual eye on the 2nd monitor and listening to onboard audio feeds from my phone simultaneously.

All I need now is to set up my pedestal fan and a fog machine by my desk and Im right there in San Fran!

Go Nath.

More info about foil gybes in 2mins than in 2 months of experts on SA!

Indede

In the 'live data' tab, you can select audio from either boat only, or commentary.

Its great! A bit of a delay betwen them , but the audio seems to be leading the vision so its no problem..

Ive been watching the you tube streams on one monitor, virtual eye on the 2nd monitor and listening to onboard audio feeds from my phone simultaneously.

All I need now is to set up my pedestal fan and a fog machine by my desk and Im right there in San Fran!

Fly this by your pedestal fan and you will be 100% complete

racing-flag-postponement.jpg

Indede

Fly this by your pedestal fan and you will be 100% complete

racing-flag-postponement.jpg

Ha ha! I would but my fan has a wind limit, and/or it breaks every day..

You gotta love during leg 3 of the LVC final - instead of them covering ETNZ ripping upwind at 27 knots, they cover a broke dick LR.

OK we get it - LR had a failure - so cover the other boat!!!

Oh thats just ETNZ steaming upwind at a ridiculous speed.

Nothing to see here.

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can SA set up an alternative commentary through this site?

If PJ can't do it, then maybe a combo of Stinger, Indio, John Navas, CLEAN, etc each having their own 5 minute window on rotation? It would be *awesome*.

Or Jedi take's some time off from doing ARC:

(best commentary for when watching the mightly Blackness).

Just a thought....

BJL

We'd get sued into oblivion.

One thing we CAN do is record and re-stream with parody commentary. Remember Mystery Science Theatre 3000? Like that.

Which would be fucking hilarious.

To make up for the "she'll be out on Monday" ETNZ vid I reckon you do a parody version of race one of the AC. Should give you enough time to prepare....

Re the above - I was thinking a live audio commentary only. Would still need live picture feed through usual channels. Legally, would work in the UK and NZ (not sure about elsewhere).

BJL

We'd get sued into oblivion.

One thing we CAN do is record and re-stream with parody commentary. Remember Mystery Science Theatre 3000? Like that.

Which would be fucking hilarious.

x100

Hey Peter and Martin, if you read this thread, how about pausing your commentary when we get onboard feed off the boats then resuming commentary once the shot changes.

The onboard chatter would be really interesting to hear.

Thanks in advance.

I have been watching the YouTube feed, so I get Tucker Thompson and Andy Green doing pre and post race with Nathan Outeridge as guest. TT is fine, nothing special, but OK. Nathan has been GREAT....smirking brit andy green is horible, gets lots of stuff wrong, mis-speaks all the time, and doesn't add anything.

For race commentary I like Ken Read....adds a lot, explains things, but at a reasonable level. Gary Jobson seems clueless and doesn't ever seem to add anything worth while. Other guy (honestly don't know who it is) is OK, but occasionally gets stuff wrong, and doesn't seem to add a whole lot...would prefer PJ for shure.

really great to see NO stick around for the post-race analysis. I mean, he could be sitting on a beach right now. He's one of the positive things/guys in this AC cycle.

btw, I'm wondering if TT and AG might actually be good friends...? :huh:

:D

I agree NO is epic, Kenny is golden

I dont mind Tucker T, personnilly - he rarely pretendz to no stuff he duzzint

and I find his voice and mannerisms plezant enuf.

Andy Green iz an enigma to me, from hiz pedigree he shorely

noze a hole lot more than he makes it appear on screen.

He must have been over-coached or sumthing.

But pritty much ENNYONE is betterrer than PJ, to my way of thinking

I dont understand how even a kiwi could bare him.

I swear to G*D if I here him say

"the Americaz Cup is

still forward slash> now

the

<insert naem of yore favorit teme here>

Cup"

this tym round, I think my hed will expload.