• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Stupid picpaste. picture here, too:

IMG_20130802_100922_851_2.jpg

Had an amazing time sailing with Rich up to Portland this weekend. Incredible boat with enormous power. I have so much respect for the skippers who single hand these things around the world.

This is the old Mirabaud?

Had an amazing time sailing with Rich up to Portland this weekend. Incredible boat with enormous power. I have so much respect for the skippers who single hand these things around the world.

surprised it's not on your list, greeny. Did you happen to pass toothface 2 on your way up? because he was on his way down about the same time.

This is the old Mirabaud?

Yes. Listing found here.

surprised it's not on your list, greeny. Did you happen to pass toothface 2 on your way up? because he was on his way down about the same time.

But of course it's on my list. No, Brian Harris of Maine Yacht Center delivered Toothface the prior day so we didn't pass him Saturday. Unfortunately for him, he had it on the nose all the way down so didn't have nearly the fun we did. BTW, Brian and MYC are very clearly establishing themselves as the go-to guys for proper race boats on the east coast. Absolute Pro.

Is Rich the skipper or CEO of the project?

Both, plus lots more rolls on top of that I would imagine. An American campaign, by definition, involves economies, so it's likely that many hats will be worn by all involved.

Wish I had seen this post a few weeks ago. I sailed by on a viper a few weeks back and did some research. Bought his book shortly after and now I'm 2/3s through it. I'd highly recommend it.

The program he operates seems like a very noble cause, good for sailing and good for kids.

http://www.sitesalive.com/

Will be rooting for this guy.

Rich told me in January at the Chicago Boat Show he was planning on going again in '16. Read his book on the flight home. I just saw the boat in the harbor on Sunday for the first time. Glad to see it coming together!

I'll be cheering for all of them, but especially for Rich.

Glad to see it coming together!

The boat's actually coming apart this week, literally. We sailed GA4 back to Portland Sunday night so Maine Yacht Services can pull the mast, drop the keel and get it into the shed for some TLC this winter. If it weren't for OSTAR, I'd say the time I've had on board with Rich his summer was the highlight of the year.

In other Vendee news, Ryan Breymaier officially threw his hat in the ring. Here's wishing him the best of luck acquiring sponsors and funding! Same for Ronnie Simpson - would be incredible to see all these guys on the line in 2016.

Hey Jon - is there any where we can follow along? I saw the bought in Marblehead a few weeks ago, then went and bought the book about the previous Vendee. I'd really like to do whatever I can to follow the campaign. Hell, if there are any volunteering opportunities I'd be interested.

Rich Wilson's Open 60, Great American IV, is almost ready to splash. Spent the day with his team on Saturday and was amazed at how much work and expertise is required to properly setup and maintain these boats.

GA4Slings2.jpg

Is this the official Vendee thread then?

Can't find it now but did I see 36+ at the starting line this time? Cut off is in two weeks?

Can't find it now but did I see 36+ at the starting line this time? Cut off is in two weeks?

According to this press release, about 15 are "certain to compete" and another 20-25 were "well advanced in their project." I would interpret that as 15 who have sponsors and 20-25 who are still in the hunt. The NOR states an entry cap of 27. The 7 building new boats are:

Morgan Lagravière (FRA / Safran)

Armel Le Cléac’h (FRA / Banque Populaire)

Alex Thomson (GB / Hugo Boss)

Sébastien Josse (FRA / Groupe Edmond de Rothschild)

Andrea Mura (ITA / Vento Di Sardegna)

Jean-Pierre Dick (St Michel-Virbac)

Nandor Fa (HG / Spirit of Hungary)

And 8 intending to enter on existing boats are:

Vincent Riou (FRA / PRB)

Yann Eliès (FRA/Groupe Quéguiner)

Jérémie Beyou (FRA / Maître Coq)

Tanguy de Lamotte (FRA / Initiatives Cœur)

Louis Burton (FRA / Bureau Vallée)

Eric Bellion (FRA / Comme 1 seul Homme)

Rich Wilson (USA / Great American IV)

Armel Tripon (FRA / For Humble Heroes)

The entry cut off is still quite a ways out. According to the NOR, pre-registration must be complete by July 1, 2016 and the full registration is due by September 1, 2016. Plenty of time.

According to this press release, about 15 are "certain to compete" and another 20-25 were "well advanced in their project." I would interpret that as 15 who have sponsors and 20-25 who are still in the hunt. The NOR states an entry cap of 27. The 7 building new boats are:

Morgan Lagravière (FRA / Safran)

Armel Le Cléac’h (FRA / Banque Populaire)

Alex Thomson (GB / Hugo Boss)

Sébastien Josse (FRA / Groupe Edmond de Rothschild)

Andrea Mura (ITA / Vento Di Sardegna)

Jean-Pierre Dick (St Michel-Virbac)

Nandor Fa (HG / Spirit of Hungary)

And 8 intending to enter on existing boats are:

Vincent Riou (FRA / PRB)

Yann Eliès (FRA/Groupe Quéguiner)

Jérémie Beyou (FRA / Maître Coq)

Tanguy de Lamotte (FRA / Initiatives Cœur)

Louis Burton (FRA / Bureau Vallée)

Eric Bellion (FRA / Comme 1 seul Homme)

Rich Wilson (USA / Great American IV)

Armel Tripon (FRA / For Humble Heroes)

The entry cut off is still quite a ways out. According to the NOR, pre-registration must be complete by July 1, 2016 and the full registration is due by September 1, 2016. Plenty of time.

Thanks JG. (Sorry about the laptop debacle btw).

Will be interesting to see the final count and to see how many of those actually make it all the way around. After watching the VOR, I'm looking forward to a non stop, single-handed race.

Pity Gabart won't be in it. This one might have tested him. But after the Route du Rhum, I'm beginning to think not.

Love the quote from Gabart - "Everyday you tell yourself: this is impossible, I'll never hold up in the end; and everyday you find the thing you need to keep going further".

Love the quote from Gabart - "Everyday you tell yourself: this is impossible, I'll never hold up in the end; and everyday you find the thing you need to keep going further".

Me too - awesome quote. These guys are tough SOBs.

Picture now on the frontpage of the Vendee Globe site:

36 sailors are now working to get their finance and boat and sponsors ready for the 2016 Vendee Globe.

Picture of the gathered 20 (I counted them)

post-17796-0-84412800-1421318657_thumb.jpg

Some cool hype for what could be one of the most anticipated Vendee's ever. Wish Gabart was in it to defend, though.

Some hype for one of the most anticipated Vendee's ever. Wish Gabart was defending though.

+1

Safran sailing.

A peek of the foil at 0.10. Not giving much away at this stage.

Rich Wilson's boat, Great American IV, is just about ready for spring launch at Maine Yacht Center. Stay tuned for updates as he trains this summer or check in for periodic blog entries on his website.

As some of you know, Rich has many more reasons to do this race than his love of sailing so don't expect this to be a blog exclusively on Vendee, in fact his global K-12 education program is an important part of it.

2015-05_GA4_Shed1.jpg

2015-05_GA4_Mast.jpg

Today, the Daily Sail published a photo of the new Gitana IMOCA 60. This was all on the IMOCA as the story was about the new G-Class multihull being built for Baron Benjamin de Rothschild's Gitana team.

gt-090315-0076_620.jpg

Is the change in profile at the stem from traditional rake on the low side to reverse bow profile above the chine and hull chine, an attempt to keep spray down?

(or am I just looking at camera distortion? - I was more surprised to see waterline length being given away in a box rule class)

I am not sure if it is distortion but I am not sure they have given away any waterline. I see the reverse bow (as you do) so that at the waterline it is max length.

Yeah possibly - I still can't tell if the lower half of the bow profile is vertical or raked back (traditionally) - anyone got any other photos to clear it up?

So I have found some videos of Banque Populaire and Safran that shows vertical stem up to hull join and reverse rake above that.

I am of the understanding that all the current top builds, including Hugo Boss, are from the same design by VPLP/Verdier.

Seems like they have cornered the fleet and are selling design packages in the same way that Farr used to in VO60's when he ruled the roost.

Bernard Stamm and Cheminées Poujoulat will not be taking part in the 2016 Vendée Globe

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/article/14776/cheminees-poujoulat-will-not-be-taking-part-in-the-2016-vendee-globe.html

Gotta love translations. Sponsors like "guaranteed wins" :)

Cheminées Poujoulat and Bernard Stamm have always done their utmost to ensure they were present at major events with a winning project aiming for the top spot. However, this is no longer possible, as there is no guarantee that he would be able to win the next Vendée Globe.

It's not that they want a guarantee, it is clear to them that unless you have one of the new boats you won't even have a chance to win, and it is too late/expensive for them to build a new one.

It's not that they want a guarantee, it is clear to them that unless you have one of the new boats you won't even have a chance to win, and it is too late/expensive for them to build a new one.

Agree. They have no competitive options at this late stage and the costs are huge as well. A one or two generation old boat may just make it into the top 10, hardly going for the win. But its a shame Bernard will not be on the starting line esp. after his superb Barcelona win.

Perhaps stupid question, what's the protuberance at the stern in the bottom?

It's not turned over. JP is squatting on the deck.

Mex

Agree. They have no competitive options at this late stage and the costs are huge as well. A one or two generation old boat may just make it into the top 10, hardly going for the win. But its a shame Bernard will not be on the starting line esp. after his superb Barcelona win.

Even in 2008, when there were maximum entries, there was an older boat in 4th. So saying they could not get into the top ten is Just wrong. It would not be unsurprising to see an older generation boat on the podium.

So I have found some videos of Banque Populaire and Safran that shows vertical stem up to hull join and reverse rake above that.

I am of the understanding that all the current top builds, including Hugo Boss, are from the same design by VPLP/Verdier.

Seems like they have cornered the fleet and are selling design packages in the same way that Farr used to in VO60's when he ruled the roost.

Certainly true that no new boat is being built for this cycle that isn't a Verdier/ VPLP but the are not all the same. Banque Pop and Safran share a mould, as to Gitana and St Michel/ Virbac. Alex's boat is a separate concept being built in Green Marine as is Vento de Sardegna being built in Persico.

The reason that Gitana and St Michel/ Virbac are built in halves instead of a hull and then a deck is because the tumblehome starts lower down the sheer line than on Safran so it couldn't be lifted vertically out of a traditional mould as its a lot narrower at the top than at the bottom.

Perhaps stupid question, what's the protuberance at the stern in the bottom?

It's not turned over. JP is squatting on the deck.

Mex

Thanks it was a stupid question, if I had paid a bit of attention, it is the same as gitana

BS and Cheminées Poujoulat have sadly parted company for the VG.

Another interesting shot of the new St Michel/Virbac build:

post-76289-0-78786200-1432323853.jpg

Even in 2008, when there were maximum entries, there was an older boat in 4th. So saying they could not get into the top ten is Just wrong. It would not be unsurprising to see an older generation boat on the podium.

Don't forget, in 2008/9 some 30 odd boats started. Only 11 came back!

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/article/15077/jean-pierre-dick-the-vendee-globe-changed-my-life.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interview with J P Dick. Soon getting started with his training program again. Base will be in Cascais. No comments regarding the reasons to the structural failures, but hull has been reinforced.

Fill me in JS.

What happened to the three new builds?

One was sold to a new home before it splashed - who ended up with that?

The two that broke are those teams keeping them or going with other boats?

& who is racing Gabarts boat from last edition?

Fill me in JS.

Stepping in ;)

1/ More than 3

2/ Currently being reinforced according to engineering update

3/ Repaired and reinforced according to engineering update

4/ now SMA, curently secured in Ireland after drifting from the Azores to there in gales, soon back into the shed in Brittany for a full check.

Fill me in JS.

Stepping in ;)

1/ More than 3

2/ Currently being reinforced according to engineering update

3/ Repaired and reinforced according to engineering update

4/ now SMA, curently secured in Ireland after drifting from the Azores to there in gales, soon back into the shed in Brittany for a full check.

Boat sold to new home before splash is now called NO WAY BACK and owned by Pieter Heerema (Dutch sailor). Also just spent few weeks being reinforced.

Hereema is a former RC44 owner/skipper

What was his team?

No Way Back!!

Romain Aattanasio (Sam's husband) confirmed for the 27th slot

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skipper-2016/83/romain-attanasio.html

Aha ca commence. Je suis officiellement femme du marin! Romain Attanasio inscrit officiellement au Vendée Globe: http://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-loire/les-sables-dolonne-85100/romain-attanasio-inscrit-officiellement-au-vendee-globe-4006906

7 retweets36 likes

Whenever I watch one of those Vendee promo videos, it almost makes me want to go again.

But then I come to my senses...

However I do plan to attend the start in support of Rich & Alex, both of whom have lithium batteries we provided. Being at the start will be close enough...

Whenever I watch one of those Vendee promo videos, it almost makes me want to go again.

However I do plan to attend the start in support of Rich & Alex, both of whom have lithium batteries we provided. Being at the start will be close enough...

Départ de la 8ème Edition des Sables d'Olonne : le 6 novembre 2016 à 13h00

You won't be the only one. :D

vendee-globe-instants-d-emotion-avant-le

Départ de la 8ème Edition des Sables d'Olonne : le 6 novembre 2016 à 13h00

You won't be the only one. :D

vendee-globe-instants-d-emotion-avant-le

We were just a little left of that picture. It was awesome. Can't wait for November.

Bruce,

Would be a whole lot quicker! Think about shaving 20 days of of 109d!!

No women?

Old question, but with some new hope for the 2020 edition:

Tania Elias Calles (wiki) is doing some VG training in the summer. SF to Hawaii, solo, Laser Radial. Yes. Laser.

Then BWR, then VG. At least that is the idea. Interesting number mentioned in this context: Required budget for boat and campaign: US$3-6 million. So no back of the fleet effort.

Justine Mettraux (VOR, Team SCA) also announced something somewhere somewhen about the VG2020. Ah, there. Looks like a more usual route via the Figaro Circuit.

In other news it was apparently said during the VG press conference this week that there may be German entry. Interesting

The article goes on that Boris Herrmann and Jörg Riechers are not talking, nor is the VG. Rumor has Boris as training partner/possible substitute for Heerema.

No women?

Tania Elias Calles (wiki) is doing some VG training in the summer. SF to Hawaii, solo, Laser Radial. Yes. Laser.

Then BWR, then VG. At least that is the idea. Interesting number mentioned in this context: Required budget for boat and campaign: US$3-6 million. So no back of the fleet effort.

Justine Mettraux (VOR, Team SCA) also announced something somewhere somewhen about the VG2020. Ah, there. Looks like a more usual route via the Figaro Circuit.

In other news it was apparently said during the VG press conference this week that there may be German entry. Interesting

The article goes on that Boris Herrmann and Jörg Riechers are not talking, nor is the VG. Rumor has Boris as training partner/possible substitute for Heerema.

Wow! Tania is a badass! I'd put money on her being a killer offshore soloist.

Edit: If she could find the budget to compete against the French machine. That gets harder and more expensive every year.

At least they are saying it a publicity stunt as she will be sailing the Laser with a support boat. I just don't get it..... there is a perfectly good Singlehanded Transpac leaving from San Francisco to Kauai in July. Seems she could actually try competing in a singlehanded race, not a stunt, if she's trying to make it to the Vendee. It could certainly cost less than running over with a chase boat.

Yeah, but if she did it, she would prove to be an incrediably strong and driven woman. I think that inspires confidence in a sponsor. It's a hell of a long stunt!

I have to agree about the SHTP vs. the Laser stunt. Can you really sleep on a Laser and sail at the same time? Don't you still need to carry about 100 lbs of water?

Of course, if she did charter a 'real' boat and got beat in the race by some crusty old Buglighter it wouldn't do much for her funding prospects.

She holds a long distance record of 282nm the Laser Radial. Los Cabos Baja California Sur to Bahia de Banderas, Mexico from 28 February to 3 March 2010). Raised money for her Olympic campaign that way.

About 1/10 the Transpac distance, so not a totally harebrained scheme. [Just mostly. ;) ]

Sleep was with a sea anchor.

No women?

Forgive me, but I'm struggling to connect the dots: if I sail a Laser to Hawaii, someone will give me $3-6 million to campaign an IMOCA 60 through the Southern Ocean?

No women?

Forgive me, but I'm struggling to connect the dots: if I sail a Laser to Hawaii, someone will give me $3-6 million to campaign an IMOCA 60 through the Southern Ocean?

Sorry, You're not on the waiting list. But your ambition is allright.

If I beated the best bouncer (fighter at nightclubs) in my town.

May I fight with Tyson Fury? (World champion heavy weight boxing)

220px-Tyson_fury.jpg

No, I am are afraid not. It's not a good idea.

Maybe if he had a Laser as a support boat he'd be eligible for Vendee sponsorship.

Still, got to admire his determination. Also interesting is that the idea was inspired, in part, by a solo Frenchman crossing the Atlantic.

[you swim too in that part of the world, right? Ever run across him?[

Maybe if he had a Laser as a support boat he'd be eligible for Vendee sponsorship.

Still, got to admire his determination. Also interesting is that the idea was inspired, in part, by a solo Frenchman crossing the Atlantic.

[you swim too in that part of the world, right? Ever run across him?[

Run across him? No. I'm usually the only one out here. I'll bet he swims in the South Bay, Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo Beaches.

Not sure about the wetsuit, fins and snorkel. There are people doing big swims with none of that. Still, 5,500 miles. He's like a migrating sea turtle.

Found on the vendee globe 2016 twitter page:

post-17796-0-29274700-1455544278_thumb.png

Translated:

Three contestants for 2016 have already been on the podium:

Armel l'Cleach, second, 2008/09 and 2012/2013

Alex Thompson, third, 2012/13

Jean le Cam, second, 2004/05

The age and the proof of age of the oldest contestant ever: The american Rich Wilson 67.

The age and the proof of age of the youngest constestant ever: The swiss Alan Roura 23.

The avarage age of the contestants: 41 years.

https://twitter.com/VendeeGlobe?lang=nl

Of course I think about that....really need to have an American go solo RTW faster than I did. It's actually technically the American solo RTW record!

Pretty soft record...perhaps Rich can beat it even while cruising at 67...he has a pretty fast boat.